Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Extremely Hot GPU!Follow

#1 Aug 23 2011 at 9:46 PM Rating: Default
13 posts
Hey guys my GPU gets extremely hot when running FFXIV I dont know what to do... I've been playing for 4 months now but this is beginning to become a huge issue!

I am running a 6990 and I am getting 80 C!

I have tried reducing graphics and everything
#2 Aug 23 2011 at 9:54 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I killed one gtx 470 so far...now I'm workin' on #2...

Sorry that doesn't exactly help ya out, but on topic at least -shrugs-
____________________________

#3 Aug 23 2011 at 10:47 PM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Like wht is wrong with SE? These are expensive cards! Shouldn't they also be working on performance rather then just focusing on gameplay!? They know it is an issue because it is constantly posted on the FfXIV main forums
#4 Aug 23 2011 at 10:51 PM Rating: Decent
*
94 posts
I've heard that disabling ambient occlusion helps reduce temps, have you tried that? Other than that, I'm not really sure what you could do outside of continuing to lower your graphic settings.

80c doesn't seem too high in comparison to how hot those nvidia 580 cards can get though. A friend of mine has an evga 580 card that can get up to 80-90c, but that's considered normal for that card. I'm also reading this review of your card, and the load temps seem to be getting up to about ~85-87c, so that seems to be normal for your card as well.
#5 Aug 23 2011 at 10:56 PM Rating: Default
13 posts
My temps are like around 75ish running battlefield bad company 2 on highest settings

I still believe this game needs better optimization

Edited, Aug 24th 2011 12:57am by Blazextreme
#6 Aug 23 2011 at 10:58 PM Rating: Good
Liquid Cooling works wonders. If you don't like that then get a better case (airflow wise) and load up on fans. ^^ Personally I keep my PC room at 67 degrees F (AC'd) And have a very well ventillated case with air filters on it. My temps stay quite low even under stress testing. (Running a nvidia 460)
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#7 Aug 23 2011 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
I have extremely high hopes for the relatively new 580GTX cards. According to this test, nVidia has finally solved their temperature problem.

As to this thread in particular, I can only suggest if you are playing on minimum settings, try rerouting your wires, if they are exposed in the case, they could be holding in hot air around the GPU. I know I have to leave a table fan pointed at my 280GTX fulltime when playing FFXIV.
#8 Aug 24 2011 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
it isn't normal that ffxiv is causing the problem however it also isn't impossible either.

if ffxiv is really the issue here i would suggest re-installing the game, as something may have caused a file completely unrelated to change. (this can happen, it happens often to me with windows 7 my aero theme randomly changes when it feels like it)

if ffxiv is not the problem (you should check this by monitoring other games/applications) and you don't have alot of experience troubleshooting your hardware i suggest bringing it to a shop to look at but only as a last resort after exhausting every other option you have available.
#9 Aug 24 2011 at 12:05 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
I not sure if this is going off topic but does FF XIV support SLI now? Or every time I boot the game up I'm under the illusion that it's using both GPUs.
#10 Aug 24 2011 at 5:51 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Hulan wrote:
As to this thread in particular, I can only suggest if you are playing on minimum settings, try rerouting your wires, if they are exposed in the case, they could be holding in hot air around the GPU. I know I have to leave a table fan pointed at my 280GTX fulltime when playing FFXIV.

If he's running BFBC2 at max settings and keeping temps around 75c then it's not an airflow issue. The game is poorly optimized.

Cazon wrote:
I not sure if this is going off topic but does FF XIV support SLI now? Or every time I boot the game up I'm under the illusion that it's using both GPUs.

It utilizes both GPUs, but surprisingly not as well as only one. If you have SLI, disable it and run XIV again. You'll see the difference pretty easily. Keep in mind that the temps for your single GPU will rise higher than they do in SLI. You've been warned.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#11 Aug 24 2011 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
Stupid question perhaps, but how the **** do I check the temperature of my GPU?
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#12 Aug 24 2011 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Vestal Chamberlain Lubriderm wrote:
Stupid question perhaps, but how the **** do I check the temperature of my GPU?


I sometimes use MSI Afterburner to check the temps, fps, & such. I have to remember to launch that first before XIV otherwise it'll kick me off the game when I start it. Fun...
____________________________

#13 Aug 24 2011 at 8:20 PM Rating: Excellent
34 posts
4x SLI GTX 480 liquid cooled.

http://www.modsrigs.com/UploadImages/765247_22140_03.jpg

Edited, Aug 24th 2011 10:21pm by HamtarotheHam
#14 Aug 24 2011 at 9:01 PM Rating: Good
*
109 posts
can anyone recommend a good pre-fab GPU water cooling system or is it still mainly an assembly job?
____________________________

Kashius wrote:
Things WoW did not invent:
...
- Fun
#15 Aug 24 2011 at 9:38 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
I sometimes use MSI Afterburner to check the temps, fps, & such. I have to remember to launch that first before XIV otherwise it'll kick me off the game when I start it. Fun...

Or just click the 'Apply overclocking at system startup' option at the bottom of the UI? You can also add an OSD to show your temps in overlay similar to fraps. l2afterburn :P
HamtarotheHam wrote:
4x SLI GTX 480 liquid cooled.

If only XIV made use of it...
Just out of curiousity, what are you playing with that?
LemmingKingXXX wrote:
can anyone recommend a good pre-fab GPU water cooling system or is it still mainly an assembly job?

Which GPU? O.o
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#16 Aug 24 2011 at 9:47 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
I sometimes use MSI Afterburner to check the temps, fps, & such. I have to remember to launch that first before XIV otherwise it'll kick me off the game when I start it. Fun...

Or just click the 'Apply overclocking at system startup' option at the bottom of the UI? You can also add an OSD to show your temps in overlay similar to fraps. l2afterburn :P


Yeah I know that's an option. But like I said, I "sometimes" use it. And those sometimes moments occasionally happen while I'm already in game.
____________________________

#17 Aug 24 2011 at 10:26 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
What do you use afterburner for? It's supposed to be used to overclock your GPU so not sure why you wouldn't want that full time...
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#18 Aug 24 2011 at 11:01 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
What do you use afterburner for? It's supposed to be used to overclock your GPU so not sure why you wouldn't want that full time...


That was the initial reason I downloaded it, in case I decided to do some OCing. With not knowing a lot about that stuff and thinking it runs fine enough for me as is I never bothered with it. But then since I had the program already I basically started using it once in a while like others would use fraps. = D Screen captures, fps, etc.(Perhaps video capture?) While also being able to see the temps., OC, and fiddle with the fans if I ever feel the need to.

That's enough for me to keep it around anyway -shrugs-

Edited, Aug 25th 2011 1:16am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#19 Aug 25 2011 at 3:10 AM Rating: Good
*
109 posts
oh right, forgot to include the model derp
480 gtx, for less of a jet engine feel when I play FFXIV
____________________________

Kashius wrote:
Things WoW did not invent:
...
- Fun
#20 Aug 25 2011 at 3:54 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
LemmingKingXXX wrote:
oh right, forgot to include the model derp
480 gtx, for less of a jet engine feel when I play FFXIV

Danger Den DD-GTX480

Just about anything you find should keep you low enough to avoid needing earplugs, but this is probably the best performing block for the price.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#21 Aug 25 2011 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
wow what the **** peeps my GTX-460 stays under 53c when i play FFXIV, and 70C is absolute Danger Zone you should never run that hot.

Start by dusting Out the computer, also make sure the fans are pushing more air out than in. i have three fans one frontal intake the other 2 are rear exhaust. take into account fan speed, faster fans should be used for exhaust while slower fans should be used for intake.
#22 Aug 25 2011 at 10:22 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
FelixValmont wrote:
wow what the **** peeps my GTX-460 stays under 53c when i play FFXIV, and 70C is absolute Danger Zone you should never run that hot.

Start by dusting Out the computer, also make sure the fans are pushing more air out than in. i have three fans one frontal intake the other 2 are rear exhaust. take into account fan speed, faster fans should be used for exhaust while slower fans should be used for intake.


The upper limit is actually 105c so as long as you can stand a sauna, running in the 70-90c range is fine. I would never get XIV(or any other games at max settings for that matter) to run below 70c.

My fans pull air in from the back and front(top and bottom respectively) and exhaust out the top. Heat rises and all :P
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#23 Aug 25 2011 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
Simply upgrading your case to a HAF case will make a huge difference. My temps dropped from around 95C to 50C under load. The other thing is using MSI afterburner or whatever software of your choice to make sure your GPU fan is actually spinning at 100% during gameplay. 80C isn't bad, and as some say they can go up to 105C, the issue here is the heat it will create inside the case though, overheating other components.

____________________________

#24 Aug 25 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
The other thing is using MSI afterburner or whatever software of your choice to make sure your GPU fan is actually spinning at 100% during gameplay. 80C isn't bad, and as some say they can go up to 105C, the issue here is the heat it will create inside the case though, overheating other components.



Glad you added that. That's another thing I like about AB(and reason I kept it around), setting up fan profiles & such. It's tough for us not-so-computer-savvy types sometimes though when often the advice you get contradicts each other. Some telling me to use AB and setup a more proactive fan profile to keep it cooler, while others basically saying not to worry about it because the gtx 470 runs hot anyway.

Makes sense to try to keep things as cool as possible though right?(Without unnecessarily overworking the fans I guess)

Edit-
This was mainly a concern of mine with that first card I killed. = D Seems like its replacement isn't running nearly as hot as it was so far. But now I'm paranoid about trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. Could be somethin' was up with that original card. - shrugs-

Edited, Aug 25th 2011 2:08pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#25 Aug 25 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Some telling me to use AB and setup a more proactive fan profile to keep it cooler, while others basically saying not to worry about it because the gtx 470 runs hot anyway.

If you have a case with decent airflow then higher temps from your GPU(s) shouldn't matter much. The advice you see about fan settings is basically preference. Theoretically it does make sense to keep your case cool inside, but at what cost?

Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
The other thing is using MSI afterburner or whatever software of your choice to make sure your GPU fan is actually spinning at 100% during gameplay.

No offense, but this is the worst advice in this thread. Several reasons. The GTX 400 series are already fairly power hungry. First of all, you decrease the life of your card by putting unnecessary strain on the fan. Running your fan full-speed during gaming increases your power consumption as well. Even if you have money to burn, the decibel level pumped out by twin GTX 480s blowing full blast is ridiculous. Too much even if you're playing a flight sim :P


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#26 Aug 25 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:

If you have a case with decent airflow then higher temps from your GPU(s) shouldn't matter much. The advice you see about fan settings is basically preference. Theoretically it does make sense to keep your case cool inside, but at what cost?


Right on. That's what I figured. Personal preference mixed in with the advice.
____________________________

#27 Aug 25 2011 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
**
650 posts
I just open up my computer's case to keep it cooler than normal :p
____________________________
Mikayla Soulfire (XIV), Ul'dah, Istory
Lodestone Profile

Mikael (XI) Bastok, CaithSith
RDM/BST/BLU/NIN/BLM

Thus is our agreement written, thus is treaty made. Thought is the arrow of time; Memory never fades. What was asked is given; The price is paid.
#28 Aug 25 2011 at 6:26 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
No offense, but this is the worst advice in this thread. Several reasons. The GTX 400 series are already fairly power hungry. First of all, you decrease the life of your card by putting unnecessary strain on the fan. Running your fan full-speed during gaming increases your power consumption as well. Even if you have money to burn, the decibel level pumped out by twin GTX 480s blowing full blast is ridiculous. Too much even if you're playing a flight sim :P


There's about 100 threads out there on over clocker forums about fans running at 100%, sure it will drain a touch more power, it will definitely not kill off your card much faster. Your card will probably be obsolete by the time the fan dies. I have yet to have a video card die on me from running a fan at 100% on certain games. I'm not saying ALL games need this, FFXIV for sure does at times, but other games, no. Now cards dying from over heating? Ya, I've seen that happen many times.

Of course for the noise level, running at 100% isn't optimal, but if your case can't handle it right now and you're shutting down from overheating, I'd rather have my fan go at 100% and take off 1 year of my cards life (from the 10 it'll probably last), then to have everything getting over heated. My GTX 460 isn't even that loud, especially compared to older cards.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/663389-bad-run-my-gpus-fans-100-a-2.html
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1388163-rivatuner-gpu-fan-speeds-also-cpu-fan-speed/

And these are just a couple threads showing the fan at 100% during certain things might actually increase it's lifespan. I agree 100% about the noise though.

Edited, Aug 25th 2011 8:28pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#29 Aug 26 2011 at 1:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Is your GPU single?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#30 Aug 26 2011 at 3:36 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
There's about 100 threads out there on over clocker forums about fans running at 100%, sure it will drain a touch more power, it will definitely not kill off your card much faster.

People who post on overclocking forums, the enthusiasts, they resell and buy new GPUs when the next chipset is out. Obsolete is a matter of months for us, but it's still an unnecessary step. Speaking specifically on the GTX 400 series, there shouldn't be a game out there that requires you to run your fan beyond 70% to keep a reasonable temperature. The exception being XIV or games you force 64x SLI AA, 8x multisample, ect...

Running a fan for these cards at 70% is already loud. 100% full-time in gaming you would be able to hear it over vent when I spoke and I wouldn't be able to hear you. Way too obnoxious for me.

Thayos wrote:
Is your GPU single?

Happily married with a child on the way :D


Edited, Aug 26th 2011 5:36am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#31 Aug 26 2011 at 4:30 AM Rating: Good
**
465 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Happily married with a child on the way :D

Talk about heat from GPUs.

I'm with Hulan, literally have a house fan blowing on the side of my desktop for XIV. That GTX580 is looking like an oasis in the middle of a desert..

Edited, Aug 26th 2011 6:32am by Coyohma
____________________________
Lodestone
#32 Aug 26 2011 at 5:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,691 posts
Quote:
I just open up my computer's case to keep it cooler than normal :p


Isnt this worse for heat problems? I was always under the impression the cases systems have the fans worked out in a way to make airflow work for you, removing the case ruins that.

They really need to optimize the engine, it's kinda ridiculous atm. FFXI just needs tweaking to do what it does better without straining the technology. It's a really shoddy engine right now.
#33 Aug 28 2011 at 2:55 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Quote:
No offense, but this is the worst advice in this thread. Several reasons. The GTX 400 series are already fairly power hungry. First of all, you decrease the life of your card by putting unnecessary strain on the fan. Running your fan full-speed during gaming increases your power consumption as well. Even if you have money to burn, the decibel level pumped out by twin GTX 480s blowing full blast is ridiculous. Too much even if you're playing a flight sim :P


There's about 100 threads out there on over clocker forums about fans running at 100%, sure it will drain a touch more power, it will definitely not kill off your card much faster. Your card will probably be obsolete by the time the fan dies. I have yet to have a video card die on me from running a fan at 100% on certain games. I'm not saying ALL games need this, FFXIV for sure does at times, but other games, no. Now cards dying from over heating? Ya, I've seen that happen many times.

Of course for the noise level, running at 100% isn't optimal, but if your case can't handle it right now and you're shutting down from overheating, I'd rather have my fan go at 100% and take off 1 year of my cards life (from the 10 it'll probably last), then to have everything getting over heated. My GTX 460 isn't even that loud, especially compared to older cards.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/663389-bad-run-my-gpus-fans-100-a-2.html
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1388163-rivatuner-gpu-fan-speeds-also-cpu-fan-speed/

And these are just a couple threads showing the fan at 100% during certain things might actually increase it's lifespan. I agree 100% about the noise though.
I mine BTC when I'm not gaming and that puts my GPU usage at a steady 99%. My fan runs at about 44% and at most the temp hits 72C (if I'm gaming it probably only hits 65C at most). Sounds like a small private jet is taking off when I run the fan at 100%, but it does take the redline usage temp down to about 62C. Still worth running at 100% if it means cutting the temp down 10C? Keep in mind that I try to almost always run my BTC miner if I'm not directly using the GPU to play games.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
Running a fan for these cards at 70% is already loud. 100% full-time in gaming you would be able to hear it over vent when I spoke and I wouldn't be able to hear you. Way too obnoxious for me.
Personally, I've been using quality over-the-ear headphones instead of speakers for probably 7 years now. The improvement in audio quality and isolation has been well worth it. It also happens to cut out on all that fan noise completely.



Edited, Aug 28th 2011 4:07pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#34 Aug 28 2011 at 4:38 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
bsphil wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Running a fan for these cards at 70% is already loud. 100% full-time in gaming you would be able to hear it over vent when I spoke and I wouldn't be able to hear you. Way too obnoxious for me.
Personally, I've been using quality over-the-ear headphones instead of speakers for probably 7 years now. The improvement in audio quality and isolation has been well worth it. It also happens to cut out on all that fan noise completely.

I have a pair of really nice Sony over the ear headphones that do the same. The problem is I also have an amazing surround sound system that I'd much rather use. Sometimes I'm gaming for a few hours at a time and headphones are just out of the question.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (26)