Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Letter from the Producer, XVII (09/01/2011) Follow

#1 Sep 01 2011 at 4:13 AM Rating: Excellent
**
929 posts
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/22774?p=318823#post318823


Quote:

Hello everyone! Yoshi-P here with another post for all you FFXIV-ers. Hot one day, cold the next. The weather’s been getting kinda funky on the cusp of the seasons here. Hope you’re all managing to stay in good health while enjoying your time in Eorzea.

We’re firing on all cylinders heading into the next patch, and there’s been some late nights and weekends spent here at the office. The encouragement we’ve been receiving on the forums has us doing everything we can to get things done.

Lemme start things off with a screenshot of one of the new airships taking to the skies come 1.19.


Looks like that one’s about to whisk some players off into the Gridanian twilight. Nice.

Sorry for the long wait, but they’re finally coming to Eorzea in 1.19, together with chocobo mounts, to help make traveling around the realm more enjoyable. Ride a “horsebird” to get wherever you need to go by land, or book passage on an airship to fly the quickest routes between Ul’dah, Gridania, and Limsa. Airship voyages themselves will take only mere seconds, though there will be sweet little cutscenes accompanying departures and arrivals.


Aaand now on to the update list. Changes coming in 1.19 have been detailed on the Lodestone in some Topics and forum posts, so as I mentioned last letter, this is just a list of changes slated for 1.20 and beyond. There’s a couple healthy-sized ones among them, so I’m looking to update the list again with a more detailed breakdown of those sometime after 1.19 goes live. Without further ado...


See forum post for tables of planned changes.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 6:15am by Magnesium02
#2 Sep 01 2011 at 4:54 AM Rating: Good
**
285 posts
1.21 needs to hurry up!
____________________________


February 11, 1926 – November 28, 2010
Leslie Nielsen. Shirley, he will be missed.
#3 Sep 01 2011 at 4:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Looks like they are having problems with the job system... full implementation postponed to 1.21 now ^.^/
#4 Sep 01 2011 at 5:03 AM Rating: Decent
*
51 posts
Long wait on Jobs :( Hope they can pump out 1.2 b4 the end of the year but i doubt it. I know he said 1.19 was going to b a huge update but looks like 1.2 and 1.21 could be just as huge. These update notes rly makes me think about not playing anymore till after a few patches.
#5 Sep 01 2011 at 5:50 AM Rating: Decent
Rinsui wrote:
Looks like they are having problems with the job system... full implementation postponed to 1.21 now ^.^/
I was under the impression that jobs were 1.20 or later. I really can't wait to play dragon knight/dragoon, but I'm content to sit and wait. I'd rather wait for quality than get garbage quick.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#6 Sep 01 2011 at 5:59 AM Rating: Excellent
**
697 posts
I think if there's one thing the Dev. team has learned its that they need to release things properly tested and thought out, rather than quickly. So jobs being pushed back is ok with me. Also, Hamlet Defense FTW!
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#7 Sep 01 2011 at 6:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
569 posts
Not too happy to hear that jobs are pushed to 1.21, as jobs is were i was hoping for the fix to MP for one thing. My general opinion is of disappointment, amongst the things getting added in 1.19, it seems the changes i was hoping for before making XIV my only game are postponed once again.
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
#8 Sep 01 2011 at 6:33 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Interesting he's acknowledging the "horsebirds" fiasco. That alone builds my faith in him - he's not sweeping things under the rug.

I'm a little disappointed in the job changes getting pushed back as well, but I can live with that if we are getting more final fantasy-esque additions in this patch. Chocobos and Airships will do a lot to make this feel more like a FF title.
#9 Sep 01 2011 at 6:45 AM Rating: Decent
**
829 posts
I really hope they plan on making a party search feature after the job system is established. Maybe it will show up on the agenda for 1.22 or 1.23.
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#10 Sep 01 2011 at 6:47 AM Rating: Excellent
*
116 posts
I've been looking forward to and am also disappointed the jobs are taking so long as well but this...
Quote:
Automatic setting of current class's actions...

makes me a happy panda! ^.^

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 8:47am by Validai
____________________________
FFXIV :: Valdai Devarda \ Lindblum Sargatanas "The Thread Closer"
.............................................................................................................
#11 Sep 01 2011 at 6:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Ok so the jobs might take a little longer but see at all the nice things coming:

Quote:
Development and release of supplemental storylines and world quests
Release of second primal battle quest
Third release of instanced raids
Fourth release of instanced raids
Release of high-level caravan escort duties
Release of hamlet defense duties
Addition of Grand Company ranks and items
Design and release of additional NMs
Release of job-specific gear and abilities together with job system
Reexamination of and adjustments to HQ crafting
Planning of tasks aimed at improving search function
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#12 Sep 01 2011 at 7:18 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
What's interesting is that airship rides will only take a few seconds. I found the whole 15 minute flights to be a huge time-sink in FFXI.

Glad they're getting rid of that this time around.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#13 Sep 01 2011 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
Flights were only a few minutes, but had potentially long wait time. Either way, I agree, a city to city warp will be nice.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#14 Sep 01 2011 at 7:49 AM Rating: Decent
*
53 posts
what about a search function. and LFG system that is user friendly.
____________________________
Bran Shaw
Wutai

ARC 40
Leather 25
Cloth 25


(Retired)

Moochie
Midgardsormr


Rdm 75 Drg 75 Cor 75
Clothcraft: 61

www.myspace.com/7527264
#15 Sep 01 2011 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
brandontehleetz wrote:
what about a search function. and LFG system that is user friendly.


They are delayed because people QQ'd about no airships too much. Fact.
#16 Sep 01 2011 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
NumptyHunter wrote:
brandontehleetz wrote:
what about a search function. and LFG system that is user friendly.


They are delayed because people QQ'd about no airships too much. Fact.
Well, if you say it's a fact then I guess it's a fact.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#17 Sep 01 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Personally, I am kind of sad that airship rides will be instantaneous. I liked the sense of realism in ffxi that travel actually took time, even if just a few minuted. I don't really mind the timesink element, because those few minutes on the airships helped make the world feel larger.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#18 Sep 01 2011 at 8:29 AM Rating: Default
*
163 posts
Thayos wrote:
Personally, I am kind of sad that airship rides will be instantaneous. I liked the sense of realism in ffxi that travel actually took time, even if just a few minuted. I don't really mind the timesink element, because those few minutes on the airships helped make the world feel larger.


The wait was good if you needed to take a leak but it was mostly pointless imo, hopefully the wait between airships will be short and no "the next airship will arrive in 11 mins" nonsense.

Admiral Lubriderm wrote:
NumptyHunter wrote:
brandontehleetz wrote:
what about a search function. and LFG system that is user friendly.


They are delayed because people QQ'd about no airships too much. Fact.
Well, if you say it's a fact then I guess it's a fact.


It is in my book!
Airships are not needed at all in this game, they are just nice to have and should have been added later on at PS3 launch for example. Maybe its not the exact same devs who are involved but it is still a waste of Yoshi P's time and delaying him delays everthing!
#19 Sep 01 2011 at 8:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Thayos wrote:
Personally, I am kind of sad that airship rides will be instantaneous. I liked the sense of realism in ffxi that travel actually took time, even if just a few minuted. I don't really mind the timesink element, because those few minutes on the airships helped make the world feel larger.


This x 2
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#20 Sep 01 2011 at 8:34 AM Rating: Excellent
NumptyHunter wrote:
The wait was good if you needed to take a leak but it was mostly pointless imo, hopefully the wait between airships will be short and no "the next airship will arrive in 11 mins" nonsense.


I personally hope that they decided to lengthen the trip itself (a few seconds? wtf is powering those things? a horde of ****** off galkas on bicycles?), while keeping the wait for an actual airship fairly short (5 minutes tops).
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#21 Sep 01 2011 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
*
230 posts
Thayos wrote:
Personally, I am kind of sad that airship rides will be instantaneous. I liked the sense of realism in ffxi that travel actually took time, even if just a few minuted. I don't really mind the timesink element, because those few minutes on the airships helped make the world feel larger.

Yup same here. Not by any means a game breaker but i was crushed a little inside when i read that :/ It was awesome in XI looking down from the airship seeing the different areas pass you by..
#22 Sep 01 2011 at 8:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
What no one is saying but there must be a few of us thining is what this will impact on...

With Instant travel between cities on Airships and available chocobos for land travel between camps I would be expecting the whole Aetherite travel to disapear....
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#23 Sep 01 2011 at 8:51 AM Rating: Good
Hugus wrote:
What no one is saying but there must be a few of us thining is what this will impact on...

With Instant travel between cities on Airships and available chocobos for land travel between camps I would be expecting the whole Aetherite travel to disapear....

Well not completely of course, but it will take the strain off of it. However you reminded me of something else...will Gridania and Limsa Lominsa finally be more populated with the ease of traveling?! :O
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#24 Sep 01 2011 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
StateAlchemist the Eccentric wrote:
Hugus wrote:
What no one is saying but there must be a few of us thining is what this will impact on...

With Instant travel between cities on Airships and available chocobos for land travel between camps I would be expecting the whole Aetherite travel to disapear....

Well not completely of course, but it will take the strain off of it. However you reminded me of something else...will Gridania and Limsa Lominsa finally be more populated with the ease of traveling?! :O


I don't really expect to see any changes to population destribution with airship travel, we already have instant trave available to everyone but coutch popatatoe characters.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#25 Sep 01 2011 at 9:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
So airship travel will be short, does that mean they will adjust the boat ride? I am for the realism effect of travel. I was one of the few people who ran everywhere and had my anima constantly in the 90's.
#26 Sep 01 2011 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
165 posts
I think you all are taking too literally the "a few seconds"... and remember it's a translation. Maybe he meant that airship trips wont take too much time compared to a boat trip. It's gonna be fast and short that it will feel like it was "a few seconds".

Besides that, I don't mind pushing jobs system and other things to 1.20/1.21. Better late than never, my grandpa used to say. Good work on everything else!
____________________________
"Make something idiot proof... someone will create a better idiot"
#27 Sep 01 2011 at 9:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Hugus wrote:
StateAlchemist the Eccentric wrote:
Hugus wrote:
What no one is saying but there must be a few of us thining is what this will impact on...

With Instant travel between cities on Airships and available chocobos for land travel between camps I would be expecting the whole Aetherite travel to disapear....

Well not completely of course, but it will take the strain off of it. However you reminded me of something else...will Gridania and Limsa Lominsa finally be more populated with the ease of traveling?! :O


I don't really expect to see any changes to population destribution with airship travel, we already have instant trave available to everyone but coutch popatatoe characters.


I personally hate Ul'Dah and would love to go back to hanging around Limsa.

Once I don't have to spend anima to go to UlDah markets or to sit and wait for repairs, my HP will be Limsa again.


Also, I am dissapointed that the trip will be so short. I would like maybe a minute or 2 of travel time. Not terbbily long but I also love the ferry so maybe I'm just weird.
____________________________


#28 Sep 01 2011 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
569 posts
No matter how many times i read through the 1.19 table of changes, still the same thing comes to mind. Order of things is just not right. The 1.19 changes are more than adequate, however there are more pressing matters i feel should have being addressed in this update.
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
#29 Sep 01 2011 at 10:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
82 posts
Thayos wrote:
Personally, I am kind of sad that airship rides will be instantaneous. I liked the sense of realism in ffxi that travel actually took time, even if just a few minuted. I don't really mind the timesink element, because those few minutes on the airships helped make the world feel larger.


I completely agree. There is a subtle distinction between "pointless timesink" and "expansive immersion." I would have liked it if, compared to FFXI, they cut down the wait time for airship arrival but kept the couple minute ride. Plus, the ride showcased a great view that allowed one to scry the landmarks of an entire section of the continent. It was almost breathtaking the first time I rode the airship back then; immersive, indeed!

We, as players, must remember that we're not all playing an MMORPG for number crunching (or at least not only for number crunching) and that things like smooth animations, interesting effects, engaging storyline, and, yes, immersive elements like airship rides are important to the overall experience.


Edited, Sep 1st 2011 9:13am by EmiFox
____________________________
The voweles of the Englysshe tonge weren supposed to shifte yn 1377, bvt Kyng Richarde tolde them to staye the **** where they were.
#30 Sep 01 2011 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, as I am quite excited for these changes myself, but we should all be prepared for the possibility that airships will be extremely disappointing. As of right now, there are already several airship docks in the game and they are without exception, all out in the boondocks of the starting regions. While it is possible, even likely, that they will add more docks with this update directly in the city, it is also possible that they will just use the ones in the game already, in which case airships will be useful, but far from convenient.
#31 Sep 01 2011 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
No mention AH, no LS commands, and the anti-immersion technique being used with travel. To many items listed as Ongoing, whatever that means.

Sad. I just don't see myself ever really getting into this game.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#32 Sep 01 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs:

1.) Looking for Group status = LFG.
2.) Search player function = /sea all inv
3.) LS management.
4.) Mail.

I have not heard any mention of this so far. Not even on the radar it would seem.
#33 Sep 01 2011 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
**
829 posts
It seems to me like the dev team is dead set on killing exp grind parties. With no announced party search feature and the claim system that allows afk parties with a puller and PL, I get the impression that SE doesn't want grinding to be a part of the game.

The long grinds in FFXI did present challenges like the difficulty of assembling parties at certain specific level ranges, having to make level capped content that lower level players can participate in and the time commitment that only hardcore players could devote to get to max level.

Is SE's approach here to do away with all of this and have it so you just solo, duo or trio your way to max level quickly and then have lots of endgame content lined up?
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#34 Sep 01 2011 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
TauuOfSiren wrote:

Is SE's approach here to do away with all of this and have it so you just solo, duo or trio your way to max level quickly and then have lots of endgame content lined up?


Yeah, Yoshida stated precisely that to be his philosophy. He said in one of the forum posts that he wants it to be easy to catch up to end-game level and join players already doing the content.

He also stated that people leveling their way to the top wouldn't be ignored either. Hence the upcoming introductory dungeons and lower-level raids being implemented as well.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#35 Sep 01 2011 at 11:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Uhm isn't 1.21 like next year?
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#36 Sep 01 2011 at 11:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
175 posts
Hi all,

I don't care how long it takes for the job system to come out, just so long as I am kept busy and having fun in game. So, If 1.19 offers some oppotunities for fun and I'm kept busy until 1.20 etc, I'm happy!

Also, I was reading the lodestone forumes about the airship debate going on here, and from what I understood, 1.19 is a temporary and the trip will actually be "fleshed out" in future updates?

____________________________
BST90/BLM90/RDM75/WHM80/BRD75/NIN75/SMN75/THF75/WAR75; Goldsmithing 93; Fishing 100; Ebisu Rod.
#37 Sep 01 2011 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
lurex wrote:
Hi all,

I don't care how long it takes for the job system to come out, just so long as I am kept busy and having fun in game. So, If 1.19 offers some oppotunities for fun and I'm kept busy until 1.20 etc, I'm happy!

Also, I was reading the lodestone forumes about the airship debate going on here, and from what I understood, 1.19 is a temporary and the trip will actually be "fleshed out" in future updates?


If that is the case, then I am satisfied with that. As long as the end result is along the lines of the ferry system (for example).
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#38 Sep 01 2011 at 12:23 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
lurex wrote:
Hi all,

I don't care how long it takes for the job system to come out, just so long as I am kept busy and having fun in game. So, If 1.19 offers some oppotunities for fun and I'm kept busy until 1.20 etc, I'm happy!

Also, I was reading the lodestone forumes about the airship debate going on here, and from what I understood, 1.19 is a temporary and the trip will actually be "fleshed out" in future updates?




I'm glad to hear this.

Also, I don't remember them ever announcing jobs for 1.2, so why is everyone saying they were pushed back? Though if you can link me to where they did I'd love to see it.

I just want some more info on the job systems, asap, I don't care if I have to wait months to actually play a job, it would be nice to know how they work and what the requirements are so I can start preparing.
#39 Sep 01 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
569 posts
lurex wrote:
Hi all,

I don't care how long it takes for the job system to come out, just so long as I am kept busy and having fun in game. So, If 1.19 offers some opportunities for fun and I'm kept busy until 1.20 etc, I'm happy!

Also, I was reading the lodestone forums about the airship debate going on here, and from what I understood, 1.19 is a temporary and the trip will actually be "fleshed out" in future updates?



Maybe you have discovered something i am yet to, even though i log on do raids, level up, craft up. The game still feels detached, as if you were looking at a concert from a sound proof room. Mail, LFG, LS commands, Jobs, exe is what closes the gap that currently exists. SE is trying to fill said gap but it just seems they are sloppy with the proses.

I think the need to want scale is off:
We need mail, jobs.
And want airship, choco
SE should focus on the needs before the wants.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 2:37pm by TwiddleDee
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
#40 Sep 01 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
TwiddleDee wrote:
lurex wrote:
Hi all,

I don't care how long it takes for the job system to come out, just so long as I am kept busy and having fun in game. So, If 1.19 offers some opportunities for fun and I'm kept busy until 1.20 etc, I'm happy!

Also, I was reading the lodestone forums about the airship debate going on here, and from what I understood, 1.19 is a temporary and the trip will actually be "fleshed out" in future updates?



Maybe you have discovered something i am yet to, even though i log on do raids, level up, craft up. The game still feels detached, as if you were looking at a concert from a sound proof room. Mail, LFG, LS commands, Jobs, exe is what closes the gap that currently exists. SE is trying to fill said gap but it just seems they are sloppy with the proses.

I think the need to want scale is off:
We need mail, jobs.
And want airship, choco
SE should focus on the needs before the wants.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 2:37pm by TwiddleDee


Yeah I really NEED the friggin mail... Tired of having to use my roommates account to transfer things from my different characters. ><
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#41 Sep 01 2011 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
***
3,962 posts
TwiddleDee wrote:
[quote=lurex]
I think the need to want scale is off:
We need mail, jobs.
And want airship, choco
SE should focus on the needs before the wants.
[/sm][/i]


The mail... convenience feature
Chocobos... convenience feature
Airships... convenience feature
Jobs... core mechanic

Hmmm.... I'm actually not sure how you're arguing "need" vs "want" on any of these things. It's all a matter of opinion. Even though I have alts, and transferring gear sucks, as much as I want the mail, I want faster travel more. Either way, none of these things are "needed" more than another. And if you're talking about attracting new players, which is the only realm in which we can probably actually talk about "need" vs "want" they're going to appreciate the transportation more than the mail.

Comparing jobs with these other things is really comparing apples to oranges. The reality is, the teams working on the job system have probably been doing so non stop for months now, and it's extremely unlikely that any of them were a part of the development for chocobos or airships. We will get them when we get them.
#42 Sep 01 2011 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
The server team is responsible for a mail (and auction house, if it were to be implemented). I don't think that their priorities are off, it's just probably taking them a very long time. Something tells me the server updates are going to coincide with the map revisions. With the mail/auction systems coming after.

It wouldn't make sense to rebuild all of the maps and then figure out the server can't handle it.


Edit: I should have been more clear, it was mentioned that a mail system would come after server revisions.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 12:25pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#43 Sep 01 2011 at 1:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
638 posts
Thayos wrote:
Personally, I am kind of sad that airship rides will be instantaneous. I liked the sense of realism in ffxi that travel actually took time, even if just a few minuted. I don't really mind the timesink element, because those few minutes on the airships helped make the world feel larger.


I used my time on the Airships to catch up on crafting. It was nice.
____________________________


#44 Sep 01 2011 at 1:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Who needs mail? This has not hindered me once but I also don't have 8 different characters just because they are free for now.

Job will be nice and I can see mages putting them in the need category.

I just need social tools. LS, party, and lfg tools to ease the social aspect of the game, and reduce that lag. Those are the needs IMO.
____________________________


#45 Sep 01 2011 at 2:12 PM Rating: Decent
RamseySylph wrote:
TwiddleDee wrote:
[quote=lurex]
I think the need to want scale is off:
We need mail, jobs.
And want airship, choco
SE should focus on the needs before the wants.
[/sm][/i]


The mail... convenience feature
Chocobos... convenience feature
Airships... convenience feature
Jobs... core mechanic

Hmmm.... I'm actually not sure how you're arguing "need" vs "want" on any of these things. It's all a matter of opinion. Even though I have alts, and transferring gear sucks, as much as I want the mail, I want faster travel more. Either way, none of these things are "needed" more than another. And if you're talking about attracting new players, which is the only realm in which we can probably actually talk about "need" vs "want" they're going to appreciate the transportation more than the mail.

Comparing jobs with these other things is really comparing apples to oranges. The reality is, the teams working on the job system have probably been doing so non stop for months now, and it's extremely unlikely that any of them were a part of the development for chocobos or airships. We will get them when we get them.


We don't need jobs until the Battle System is finished. However, being able to send stuff. Yeah we need that, and nothing broken is standing in the way.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 4:13pm by StateAlchemist
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#46 Sep 01 2011 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
StateAlchemist the Eccentric wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
TwiddleDee wrote:
[quote=lurex]
I think the need to want scale is off:
We need mail, jobs.
And want airship, choco
SE should focus on the needs before the wants.
[/sm][/i]


The mail... convenience feature
Chocobos... convenience feature
Airships... convenience feature
Jobs... core mechanic

Hmmm.... I'm actually not sure how you're arguing "need" vs "want" on any of these things. It's all a matter of opinion. Even though I have alts, and transferring gear sucks, as much as I want the mail, I want faster travel more. Either way, none of these things are "needed" more than another. And if you're talking about attracting new players, which is the only realm in which we can probably actually talk about "need" vs "want" they're going to appreciate the transportation more than the mail.

Comparing jobs with these other things is really comparing apples to oranges. The reality is, the teams working on the job system have probably been doing so non stop for months now, and it's extremely unlikely that any of them were a part of the development for chocobos or airships. We will get them when we get them.


We don't need jobs until the Battle System is finished. However, being able to send stuff. Yeah we need that, and nothing broken is standing in the way.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 4:13pm by StateAlchemist


The reality is it's all opinion. Moreover, we have no idea of knowing whether something is standing in the way or not. Nothing is standing in the way from the perspective of logical design, but from the perspective of their actual code, we have no way of knowing. It seems like a lot of their code has been rather *** backwards.
#47 Sep 01 2011 at 2:18 PM Rating: Good
Well I cant really imagine anything that would prevent them from being able to send an item from one person to another. Besides maybe server stability. As far as that goes, I haven't had any server-related issues for a long time.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#48 Sep 01 2011 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
StateAlchemist the Eccentric wrote:
Well I cant really imagine anything that would prevent them from being able to send an item from one person to another. Besides maybe server stability. As far as that goes, I haven't had any server-related issues for a long time.


There's a lot of reasons things could be getting in the way. It would be an exercise in futility really to talk about what they could be because there's no way of knowing. As I said, they seem to have run into a lot of issues where they cite their code as a problem, at least early on, which leads me to believe some of it was poorly written, and I'm sure the engineering team has been hard at work refactoring much of it.

But that said, just the development of a mail system in general would take some time, why they hadn't started it before the game even launched is beyond me though.
#49 Sep 01 2011 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
RamseySylph wrote:
StateAlchemist the Eccentric wrote:
Well I cant really imagine anything that would prevent them from being able to send an item from one person to another. Besides maybe server stability. As far as that goes, I haven't had any server-related issues for a long time.


There's a lot of reasons things could be getting in the way. It would be an exercise in futility really to talk about what they could be because there's no way of knowing. As I said, they seem to have run into a lot of issues where they cite their code as a problem, at least early on, which leads me to believe some of it was poorly written, and I'm sure the engineering team has been hard at work refactoring much of it.

But that said, just the development of a mail system in general would take some time, why they hadn't started it before the game even launched is beyond me though.


Well hopefully we will get it sooner rather then later. Transferring any large quantity of anything is a nightmare right now.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#50 Sep 01 2011 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
StateAlchemist the Eccentric wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
StateAlchemist the Eccentric wrote:
Well I cant really imagine anything that would prevent them from being able to send an item from one person to another. Besides maybe server stability. As far as that goes, I haven't had any server-related issues for a long time.


There's a lot of reasons things could be getting in the way. It would be an exercise in futility really to talk about what they could be because there's no way of knowing. As I said, they seem to have run into a lot of issues where they cite their code as a problem, at least early on, which leads me to believe some of it was poorly written, and I'm sure the engineering team has been hard at work refactoring much of it.

But that said, just the development of a mail system in general would take some time, why they hadn't started it before the game even launched is beyond me though.


Well hopefully we will get it sooner rather then later. Transferring any large quantity of anything is a nightmare right now.


I agree, and there's no excuse for how long it's taken, I was just saying we have no idea what asinine, previous bad decisions in coding are getting in the way.

And also that whether improved transportation or mail is more important is a matter of opinion.
#51 Sep 01 2011 at 3:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
562 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Needs:

1.) Looking for Group status = LFG.
2.) Search player function = /sea all inv
3.) LS management.
4.) Mail.

I have not heard any mention of this so far. Not even on the radar it would seem.


I can't express enough how dead-on this is. There is a rudimentary LFG status, but it's borderline worthless at the moment because the whole party invite system is so convoluted nobody uses it.

The new job system is fantastic, airships and chocobos are nice (albeit, I'd argue prioritized too high in comparison to other aspects in development), but the lack of a viable social option for those not in Linkshells wishing to engage in group-based content is completely hindering the progress of this game at the moment, in my opinion.

One can only farm and solo-grind so much in this game, all while keeping their eyes focused for party invites and in the 'invite' party social queue for so many days, weeks and months before the game starts to completely lose its appeal.

There's so much fantastic potential this game has with the recent shift toward group-based mechanics and superior character progress, yet so many of us are having trouble just being able to experience these wonderful changes that it just seems as if it was all for naught.

Quite frankly I don't give a darn about Airships or Chocobos, just let me level my character in a party.



Edited, Sep 1st 2011 5:42pm by Whales
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)