Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Very weird kind of lag.Follow

#1 Sep 02 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
*
115 posts
Alright, word of warning, I apologize for the length of this post, but I need to get into detail about what's currently happening on my end.

I just recently moved into a new place temporarily for 3 months, and the current ISP available in the household is Bell Alliant high-speed ultra. Through speedtest.net it shows my download at 7mbs and uploads near 1mbs. Which, in my mind, is sufficient to play the game without seeing latency issues. Here's where it gets interesting:

My response time for any action I take is extremely slow. I will start typing in ls chat and there is a delay of 3-5 seconds before my keystrokes are recorded in. If I move forward without auto-run, and decide to veer off to the left, it will only register the left turn about 3-5 seconds later. Basically the game is completely unplayable right now due to this weird latency. If I open my menu up and scroll through my inventory, it hickups all the way down. If I decide to craft, choosing certain crafting abilities are all delayed by a few seconds like with anything else.

Quick specs on desktop~

Intel Quad Q66
4 gigs DDR2 @1066
Radeon HD6870
OCZ Vertex II Solid state drive
Asus P5E mobo

Its not the best system, but it runs the game fine until I grab a new machine at some point in the near future. Back at my old apt, I was with rogers and I had similar d/u speeds, and I never had to worry about lag like I'm seeing right now. Here are a few things I've tried to do to remedy the situation:

- tested all cat5 cables in my network with a cable tester, all passed.
- checked hardware for any failure. SSD running great, Vid card is running smooth and temps are normal.
- Did a traceroute to trabia server to see if on the way there was an IP that I'm bouncing off of that would increase ping. Ping average was around 100-120 which is decent.
- enabled the right ports for ffxiv on my router (55296-55551 and so on..)

Thing is, every other internet application I do (browsing, torrents, netflix, whatever) work great. I'm only seeing this issue with ffxiv. It basically feels like my connection isn't fluid, like it skips a beat when I'm on. I can even see it this lag when I'm at the welcome screen. Instead of seeing my char flow into view before I select him, it hiccups its way into position.

Anyway, I need some new ideas about where to go from here, would appreciate anyone's input!






Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 2:27pm by Ariallofkujata
____________________________
#2 Sep 02 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
523 posts
I am willing to bet you set your FFXIV settings too high.

Turn them down and see how it goes.
#3 Sep 02 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
*
115 posts
Thats the thing though, my current settings are nowhere near pushing my actual limits. I've ran with these same settings for the last year with absolutely no issues. The only variable that has changed is my ISP :(

However I will dumb them down even more just to be sure, thanks :)
____________________________
#4 Sep 02 2011 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
When you did Speedtest.net, did you ping a Japanese server? And if so what was your Latency in ms please?

EDIT: The quantity of data capable of traveling over your network isn't necessarily an indication as to how fast it is traveling.

EDIT2: For the record the most common issue in regards to lag is usually your Upload bandwidth getting eaten up by something, for example uploading pictures, video or anything else to Facebook, or another site, or even another program or process running either on your PC or your network that continuously sends data. Or it could be that your new ISP hard-limits your latency. (Oooo really hope that is not the case here.)

EDIT3: I can't spell! D:
Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 3:05pm by StateAlchemist

Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 3:07pm by StateAlchemist

Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 3:07pm by StateAlchemist
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#5 Sep 02 2011 at 1:17 PM Rating: Decent
**
941 posts
Have you done any Software updates on your PC?

What you're describing has nothing to do with your bandwith which you'd see at something like Speedtest.

It's your latency (not to be confused with bandwith) or you're getting some sort of program lag on the PC.

Are you running FFXIV with something else running also? You seem to have a basic understanding of what could cause the problem - so I'd assume you've already tried with everything turned off.

Is that service Cable or DSL? If it's Cable and you're in a packed/congested neighborhood it could be throttling you. If it's DSL - do you know what kind of modem?

Don't worry about traceroute - do a continious ping from DOS and find an IP to ping over there and run it for awhile - sit and watch it. Are the times consisent? Are there misses/drops?
#6 Sep 02 2011 at 1:47 PM Rating: Good
EmotionBlues wrote:
What you're describing has nothing to do with your bandwith


Not necessarily true. I have a whopping 1mb/s upload bandwidth(sarcasm *drip drip*). Whenever my roommate tries to upload a video to Facebook or whatever, FFXIV lags like someone just took a baseball bat to my router. His action would not change the rate of speed at which information could travel from point a to point b, but it would be competing for the available bandwidth. If all the necessary packets are not sent simultaneously then information is lost/delayed causing a non-latency lag. I wish I had a lower latency, but I wish my ISP offered a larger upload bandwidth more.

Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 3:48pm by StateAlchemist

Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 3:48pm by StateAlchemist
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#7 Sep 02 2011 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
**
941 posts
Quote:
Not necessarily true


You can't cut off the last part of my sentence and quote it as not true, although the point may not be completely illuminated. I elluded to what you're poking at by mentioning the fact that I was sure he's tested it with no background programs since he obviously is smart enough to try something like a traceroute (and you had already covered that above) and:

It has nothing to do with the Bandwith he'd see at Speedtest. That number is irrelevent if it's showing his full bandwith/acceptable bandwith when running the test.

If another program is throttling him by eating up his available range via maxed upload - Speedtest wont show that accurately. To my knowledge - there is no external program that will show network/switch traffic to a consumer - those tools belong to the ISP and do exist. They will show real time views of traffic/packets passing through the network at different points. You CAN see throttled speeds using a tool such as this.


edit:

Another thing that I'd point out is that he experiences the lag on the title screen. I believe that's rendered on the PC? I'm not sure - but he shouldn't get "latency" lag on the title screen I would think?

Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 4:13pm by EmotionBlues
#8 Sep 02 2011 at 2:15 PM Rating: Good
EmotionBlues wrote:
Quote:
Not necessarily true


You can't cut off the last part of my sentence and quote it as not true, although the point may not be completely illuminated. I elluded to what you're poking at by mentioning the fact that I was sure he's tested it with no background programs since he obviously is smart enough to try something like a traceroute (and you had already covered that above) and:

It has nothing to do with the Bandwith he'd see at Speedtest. That number is irrelevent if it's showing his full bandwith/acceptable bandwith when running the test.

If another program is throttling him by eating up his available range via maxed upload - Speedtest wont show that accurately. To my knowledge - there is no external program that will show network/switch traffic to a consumer - those tools belong to the ISP and do exist. They will show real time views of traffic/packets passing through the network at different points. You CAN see throttled speeds using a tool such as this.


edit:

Another thing that I'd point out is that he experiences the lag on the title screen. I believe that's rendered on the PC? I'm not sure - but he shouldn't get "latency" lag on the title screen I would think?

Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 4:13pm by EmotionBlues


Thanks for expanding your thought process, I retract my statement if that is the case. And no there should be no latency issues at the title screen.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#9 Sep 02 2011 at 3:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
Ariallofkujata wrote:
Alright, word of warning, I apologize for the length of this post, but I need to get into detail about what's currently happening on my end.

I just recently moved into a new place temporarily for 3 months, and the current ISP available in the household is Bell Alliant high-speed ultra. Through speedtest.net it shows my download at 7mbs and uploads near 1mbs. Which, in my mind, is sufficient to play the game without seeing latency issues. Here's where it gets interesting:

My response time for any action I take is extremely slow. I will start typing in ls chat and there is a delay of 3-5 seconds before my keystrokes are recorded in. If I move forward without auto-run, and decide to veer off to the left, it will only register the left turn about 3-5 seconds later. Basically the game is completely unplayable right now due to this weird latency. If I open my menu up and scroll through my inventory, it hickups all the way down. If I decide to craft, choosing certain crafting abilities are all delayed by a few seconds like with anything else.

Quick specs on desktop~

Intel Quad Q66
4 gigs DDR2 @1066
Radeon HD6870
OCZ Vertex II Solid state drive
Asus P5E mobo

Its not the best system, but it runs the game fine until I grab a new machine at some point in the near future. Back at my old apt, I was with rogers and I had similar d/u speeds, and I never had to worry about lag like I'm seeing right now. Here are a few things I've tried to do to remedy the situation:

- tested all cat5 cables in my network with a cable tester, all passed.
- checked hardware for any failure. SSD running great, Vid card is running smooth and temps are normal.
- Did a traceroute to trabia server to see if on the way there was an IP that I'm bouncing off of that would increase ping. Ping average was around 100-120 which is decent.
- enabled the right ports for ffxiv on my router (55296-55551 and so on..)

Thing is, every other internet application I do (browsing, torrents, netflix, whatever) work great. I'm only seeing this issue with ffxiv. It basically feels like my connection isn't fluid, like it skips a beat when I'm on. I can even see it this lag when I'm at the welcome screen. Instead of seeing my char flow into view before I select him, it hiccups its way into position.

Anyway, I need some new ideas about where to go from here, would appreciate anyone's input!






Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 2:27pm by Ariallofkujata


Do you have TRIM enabled? you should enable it if applicable, OCZ has a program that enables it on non native Operating Systems.

people say SSDs are immune to fragmentation well they are not. ive run across SSD with more than 68% fragmentation and while defragmenting them does shorten there life span, I've found in cases where fragmentation is over 40% Speed increases can be had by defragmenting your drive

Do you run in Windowed Mode(including windower programs)? if you are, FFXIV is set to low priority giving background programs the okay to run even while XIV is running.

try cleaning up your computer with a program like CCleaner.

if all else fails, reinstall it.
#10 Sep 02 2011 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
*
115 posts
Quote:
When you did Speedtest.net, did you ping a Japanese server? And if so what was your Latency in ms please?


Yes, I've been pinging a japanese server over and over with a network utility. I let it go for an hour and came back to see that it never reached above 200ms.

Quote:
Have you done any Software updates on your PC?


Not a thing. The machine went from my old apt with rogers straight to the new place with this new ISP. No updates were performed.

Quote:
Is that service Cable or DSL? If it's Cable and you're in a packed/congested neighborhood it could be throttling you. If it's DSL - do you know what kind of modem?


Its a DSL isp. The modem is a Speedstream 6520.

Quote:
Do you have TRIM enabled? you should enable it if applicable, OCZ has a program that enables it on non native Operating Systems.


Trim has been enabled since I've gotten my SSD :(

Quote:
Do you run in Windowed Mode(including windower programs)? if you are, FFXIV is set to low priority giving background programs the okay to run even while XIV is running.


I run ffxiv in fullscreen and it is set to high priority.


Thanks for the suggestion guys, please keep them coming when you can. I'm resorting to all kinds of weird methods as of right now to figure out what's going on.







____________________________
#11 Sep 02 2011 at 10:29 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
try reinstalling your video card drivers. it sounds like a hardware problem and the skipping of frames makes me think of video card issues, but i had assumed you would have already tried that.
#12 Sep 03 2011 at 6:22 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
I had similar problems the last few weeks.
Tried everything from port forwarding to lowering MTU values.
Same deal for everything pc related, turned off firewalls, lowered graphical settings nothing seemed to work.
In a final act of despiration (yes the game really is unplayable with the hickups)I formatted 2 spare drives and installed W7 and FFXIV on it, lauched it up and what do you think? No hickups at all anymore.

Details of the PC in question are:

Q6600 Quadcore (Stock speed)
4Gb DDR2 1066Mhz RAM (Ocz reaper memory afaik)
XFX HD5850 (Stock speed)
Single Sata-II (7200Rpm Seagate) 1Tb (before fix), Raid-0 (2x Seagate 7200Rpm 500Gb disks) after fix
Crappy HP OEM mobo

Havent found out what the problem was yet, but I'm assuming its probably a changed setting. I did try swapping from my internal ethernet adaptor to a pci-e one although that did nothing so I doubt its related to minor changed like disabling nagles algorythm (or other common game 'fixing' changes to ethernet adaptors).

Will post again if I ever do find out what the problem was.
#13 Sep 03 2011 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
*
115 posts
Well, I found out what it was. My cordless rumblepad from logitech. Reseating the receiver and letting windows reinstall the USB driver fixed it all. Go figure.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, appreciate it.
____________________________
#14 Sep 03 2011 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Controller lag! xD
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#15 Sep 04 2011 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Double checked this on my own installation,
removing the logitech drivers for my G15 and reinstalling the latest version removed the issue as well.

I guess thats another problem solved.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)