Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

So which servers are still alive?Follow

#1 Sep 18 2011 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
551 posts
Figured I'd reinstall and see how things go.
____________________________



#2 Sep 18 2011 at 2:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
They're all dead. The last server was shut down 4 months ago. I'm the only one lef
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#3 Sep 18 2011 at 2:48 PM Rating: Good
*
51 posts
I wouldn't say servers are dead. Sure, the numbers could be higher, but its not abysmal.

I play on Istory, and it seems to be doing just fine.
____________________________
FFXI:
Twinblake - retired.
75 PUP, SCH, NIN, DNC, WAR, BRD.

FFXIV:
Orias Obderhode - Istory Server
Main Disciples:
ARC TAN WVR GLA
[IMG]http://elektrikmedia.net/enezia/sigsv2/dba2_2a8c0.png[/IMG]
#4 Sep 18 2011 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Pretty sure it's sarcasm. They all have decent populations, just keep in mind that Ul'dah is the hub on most of the servers and the other two cities arent very populated.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#5 Sep 18 2011 at 4:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
They all have decent populations


"Decent" given the state of the game, I guess; but if this game were ever expecting to actually survive, then the population needs to be at least around 20 times higher.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#6 Sep 18 2011 at 4:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
66 posts
The game is resoundingly dead by MMORPG standards (you'll notice this instantly) and despite what people say here I've seen complaints from people on lowly populated servers wishing they had selected a better one. Luckily the game lists which servers have a high population on character creation, so be sure to choose one of those.
#7 Sep 18 2011 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
Since many people seem to think the game is dead, you could try Lindblum, because even in Gridania I see lots of people, and Ul'dah is still very crowded.

20 times as many players would make many areas unplayable over here.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#8 Sep 18 2011 at 7:03 PM Rating: Default
*
52 posts
The game's grinding areas can only support a 2man party, and even then they have to wait for respawns.

Even doubling the population would make the game completely unsustainable outside doing levequests then quitting.

Gysahl is populated on weekends, you'd see most behests getting full and people outside leveling. Of course it's because it's the most populated server and is home to japanese, australians and all other asian countries.
#9 Sep 18 2011 at 7:22 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,150 posts
Twinblake wrote:
I wouldn't say servers are dead. Sure, the numbers could be higher, but its not abysmal.

If you sell 620,000+ copies and less than 10% of those still play then yes, it is abysmal.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#10 Sep 18 2011 at 7:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Docent42 wrote:
Since many people seem to think the game is dead, you could try Lindblum, because even in Gridania I see lots of people, and Ul'dah is still very crowded.

20 times as many players would make many areas unplayable over here.


20 times barely anyone making many areas unplayable = planning to fail, wouldn't you say?
____________________________
#11 Sep 18 2011 at 8:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
66 posts
Seriously. Designing a game that barely supports the "abyssmal" population as it stands? Most certainly not looking too far ahead into the future.
#12 Sep 18 2011 at 9:09 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
Everywhere I go, no matter what I do, I always see people. Crafting, figthing, grinding, you name it.

You people who complain about abysmal population, what exactly is it you are looking for? So many people at every camp you can't walk without stepping on someone's toes? How would that change your experience, and how are you judgign the amount of people online, anyway?

I feel more lonely playing WoW on a high population server than I do here on Lindblum.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#13 Sep 18 2011 at 9:36 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Docent42 wrote:
I feel more lonely playing WoW on a high population server than I do here on Lindblum.


That's... actually true. I know WoW says that it has 11,000,000 players, but I never run into them. There are a few hundred in a couple of the major cities, and then maybe two or three people in every other zone. Even when I run add-ons that track the number of all players in all zones individually, I only see more than 1k playing during the most peak hours. It must have a very casual population for these people to not show up - like, people barely playing for 30 minutes before logging off for the week - which, I guess, is certainly possible.

Back to FFXIV, though, many people are probably looking for a population similar to the "good days" of FFXI - meaning around 500-600k players total. That's not much to ask these days; and if the game "can barely support" ~20k comfortably, well, then SE may as well shut things down now, because even with five times that, the population would be terribly low by any relative MMO standard.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#14 Sep 19 2011 at 1:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,691 posts
Quote:
You people who complain about abysmal population, what exactly is it you are looking for?


Populations matter not only for the player experience (although that is very important for a lot of mmo players) but also as an indication of it's worth your time bothering with the game at all.

Right now the game is free and still has a tiny playerbase, when they start charging they will probably lose around half of what they have now. Number of players = amount of money they make monthly from the product, if they don't cover monthly costs not only will the updates be non-existent but the game won't live very much longer.

FFXIV has lasted a year with no payment because they have the idea they can rebuild intrest (zero sign of this so far), once they start charging they will be a lot less forgiving if they can't get it to make a profit and any time anyone invests in the game will be for nothing when they give up on a lost cause.
#15 Sep 19 2011 at 4:10 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
They all have decent populations


"Decent" given the state of the game, I guess; but if this game were ever expecting to actually survive, then the population needs to be at least around 20 times higher.



Yeah, that's what I meant. I was going to put something along the lines of what you put, but it got too wordy.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#16 Sep 19 2011 at 5:14 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
Rabanastre still have a fairly decent population. Ul'dah is as full as ever, and there are quite a bit of people in the other two towns. People hang out in camps almost everywhere (but mostly mid-level camps). I say it's actually pretty lively, IMHO of course.
#17 Sep 19 2011 at 5:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
Went ahead and started up on Istory. Seen at least a few people around in Limsa. Still think this stupid idea of it being "rude" or whatever to chat is going to make this game seem barren even with more players ( if they come ).

Seriously, the first thing anyone will notice right off the bat is that there is noone talking. Most people will take that as a sign of "death", especially when they type "Anyone on?" and get nothing in return.

I don't care if the Japanese don't like it ( or whatever other cockamamie reason people come up with ), if this game is going to fly outside of Japan, they're just going to have to deal with busy chat channels.
____________________________



#18 Sep 19 2011 at 5:59 AM Rating: Good
KaneKitty wrote:
Docent42 wrote:
I feel more lonely playing WoW on a high population server than I do here on Lindblum.


That's... actually true. I know WoW says that it has 11,000,000 players, but I never run into them. There are a few hundred in a couple of the major cities, and then maybe two or three people in every other zone. Even when I run add-ons that track the number of all players in all zones individually, I only see more than 1k playing during the most peak hours. It must have a very casual population for these people to not show up - like, people barely playing for 30 minutes before logging off for the week - which, I guess, is certainly possible.

Back to FFXIV, though, many people are probably looking for a population similar to the "good days" of FFXI - meaning around 500-600k players total. That's not much to ask these days; and if the game "can barely support" ~20k comfortably, well, then SE may as well shut things down now, because even with five times that, the population would be terribly low by any relative MMO standard.


I'm pretty sure the reason most of the WoW zones are barren is because they gave the players what they wanted: the ability to sit in the city and queue for dungeons and now even raids without having to go out and quest, even when leveling. It's kind of sad that all the work they put into making those zones and quest hubs is pretty much ignored these days.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#19 Sep 19 2011 at 6:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
Chialing wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Docent42 wrote:
I feel more lonely playing WoW on a high population server than I do here on Lindblum.


That's... actually true. I know WoW says that it has 11,000,000 players, but I never run into them. There are a few hundred in a couple of the major cities, and then maybe two or three people in every other zone. Even when I run add-ons that track the number of all players in all zones individually, I only see more than 1k playing during the most peak hours. It must have a very casual population for these people to not show up - like, people barely playing for 30 minutes before logging off for the week - which, I guess, is certainly possible.

Back to FFXIV, though, many people are probably looking for a population similar to the "good days" of FFXI - meaning around 500-600k players total. That's not much to ask these days; and if the game "can barely support" ~20k comfortably, well, then SE may as well shut things down now, because even with five times that, the population would be terribly low by any relative MMO standard.


I'm pretty sure the reason most of the WoW zones are barren is because they gave the players what they wanted: the ability to sit in the city and queue for dungeons and now even raids without having to go out and quest, even when leveling. It's kind of sad that all the work they put into making those zones and quest hubs is pretty much ignored these days.


At least in WoW, people talk.
____________________________



#20 Sep 19 2011 at 7:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
117 posts
Wow has trade channel... Aka talk **** and spam channel. Ffxiv could benefit from city channels or a linked channel for all zones
#21 Sep 19 2011 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
RemVye wrote:
Wow has trade channel... Aka talk sh*t and spam channel. Ffxiv could benefit from city channels or a linked channel for all zones


Let's give a FFXIV trade channel a test run!

"Republican is the better American political party."
"(recycled 4chan meme here)"
"(recycled 4chan meme here)"
"f*ggot marriage should be punished with the death penalty!11"
"Abortion: discuss."
" *insert racial epithet* "
"(RMT spam)"
"(recycled 4chan meme here)"


... oh, I guess people do play the game... horrible, horrible people.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#22 Sep 19 2011 at 7:44 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
117 posts
Lol exactly like wow!meme troll spam go go go!
#23 Sep 19 2011 at 7:49 PM Rating: Decent
too many lalafells

____________________________
#24 Sep 19 2011 at 7:50 PM Rating: Good
**
465 posts
RemVye wrote:
Wow has trade channel... Aka talk sh*t and spam channel. Ffxiv could benefit from city channels or a linked channel for all zones

I don't think it would help much. We're not splitting atoms here, if you had a more functional chat/UI system and some content to talk about, it would take care of itself. And with that, you'll attract more players.. Which is very necessary when you have anemic server populations.

So many people think just taking aspects from other MMOs will somehow turn this into a good product.. You need a solid game and an intuitive way to interact with it.. That's it. It's like a conversation with someone trying to get into shape. Work out more and eat healthier. "But.." "What about.." No. Do those two things and you will succeed. Don't and you won't.
____________________________
Lodestone
#25 Sep 20 2011 at 3:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
Since the local search was removed and with no global search, there is no way to tell.I just look at it as a prolonged beta than a real MMO.If you're a social person there's lots of people in spots on the Rabanaste server.If your not a social person there is lots of people in spots on the Rabanastre server you can avoid.Smiley: smile I think 80% of us left in game have some goal we are going to reach and will gladly be SE test monkeys till we get there.
____________________________





#26 Sep 20 2011 at 6:31 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
117 posts
Coyohma wrote:
RemVye wrote:
Wow has trade channel... Aka talk sh*t and spam channel. Ffxiv could benefit from city channels or a linked channel for all zones

I don't think it would help much. We're not splitting atoms here, if you had a more functional chat/UI system and some content to talk about, it would take care of itself. And with that, you'll attract more players.. Which is very necessary when you have anemic server populations.

So many people think just taking aspects from other MMOs will somehow turn this into a good product.. You need a solid game and an intuitive way to interact with it.. That's it. It's like a conversation with someone trying to get into shape. Work out more and eat healthier. "But.." "What about.." No. Do those two things and you will succeed. Don't and you won't.


I think you misinterpreted my post :D the infamous trade channel in WoW is full of spamming, trolling, and sh*t talking. It has little value really, there is rarely 'meaningful' discussion taking place other than Looking For Group type things.

However I agree that FFXIV does need an easier method to communicate, I've said it before and I'll say it again... I have 4-5 Linkshells, sometimes a party of people I'm playing with, and also the fact that crafting for me is spamming standard so I concentrated more on a movie while crafting makes it pretty hard to pay attention to /say and /shout in cities. It's way too much of a pain to switch between 4-5 linkshells, /p /s /shout and /tells... half the time I can't even respond in my Linkshells because it's just too convoluted to switch back and forth to answer someones simple question.

I do see people posting, mainly looking for leve link parties, or sp parties, sometimes the "instanced raids" but thats about it. This is pretty much limited to Ul`dah, from what I've seen.


TLDR; FFXIV needs to make a few communication tools more convient, /L1 - /L8 would be helpful, and a faster way to switch between linkshells, and faster response when typing. I think some sort of city chat would be useful - of course this comes at the prices of trolling, spamming, and sh*t talking but it might make things at least seem a little bit more lively. I apologize if this post is incoherent I'm still groggy from sleeping :D

EDIT:! Also, I find it completely bonkers that while in the kneeling crafting position you cannot switch linkshells... so during the time when I'm literally doing nothing (just pressing enter every 10 seconds) I can't talk to people in more than one LS... they could improve that.

Edited, Sep 20th 2011 8:34am by RemVye
#27 Sep 20 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,150 posts
Docent42 wrote:
Everywhere I go, no matter what I do, I always see people. Crafting, figthing, grinding, you name it.

You people who complain about abysmal population, what exactly is it you are looking for?


I don't really care about playing in an extremely populated game. To be honest, XIV could have just as many players as it has now and I would enjoy playing it... if it were actually any fun to play.

Giving it some thought, I'm actually anti-population because my FPS dips into flipbook territory whenever I enter a place other people are.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#28 Sep 20 2011 at 3:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Twinblake wrote:
I wouldn't say servers are dead. Sure, the numbers could be higher, but its not abysmal.

If you sell 620,000+ copies and less than 10% of those still play then yes, it is abysmal.
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/35106/final-fantasy-xiv-online/
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#29 Sep 21 2011 at 2:47 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,150 posts
bsphil wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Twinblake wrote:
I wouldn't say servers are dead. Sure, the numbers could be higher, but its not abysmal.

If you sell 620,000+ copies and less than 10% of those still play then yes, it is abysmal.
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/35106/final-fantasy-xiv-online/

620k(630k in the regional breakdown for some reason) was the figure released by SE in their fiscal report. I usually like to take info from the horse's mouth so it's dated, but it still proves the point. Being that they've moved more than that makes it look even more abysmal...


Edited, Sep 21st 2011 4:55am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#30 Sep 26 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Good
*
220 posts
Quote:
too many lalafells


lalafell mithkabob can I have it?

Edited, Sep 26th 2011 12:29pm by SyniteonReflux
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)