Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

New Video - Ifrit Loot (09/28/2011)Follow

#1 Sep 28 2011 at 7:10 AM Rating: Excellent
**
929 posts
Just saw it posted on youtube

FINAL FANTASY XIV Ifrit Loot (English)


oh yay, the video worked!


Each class gets a new weapon and I mean NEW! New model ... New texture and it GLOWS!

GOD I WANT THAT AXE. The bow is funky and I want it, but mostly that AXE! So ... pretty ...



Edited, Sep 28th 2011 6:36pm by Magnesium02
#2 Sep 28 2011 at 7:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
That's a Possessed Axe, Ifrit is confirmed a Greater Daemon, Grey Knights rolling out.

I want the Halberd.
____________________________




#3 Sep 28 2011 at 7:39 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Glowing fiery goodness...
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#4 Sep 28 2011 at 7:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Fat Korean weapons.
When I said "look at what other games have done well" that's definitely not what I meant.
#5 Sep 28 2011 at 7:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
When you wrote, "and they glow," I cringed; when I saw "Hard Mode loot," I shuddered. But once I saw the weapons, I realized that they're actually done very well: thematically unified, they glow with a subtle warmth, and, best of all, they only glow when drawn! :D

SE, you actually handled everything, dare I say, pretty well! :O
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#6 Sep 28 2011 at 8:25 AM Rating: Excellent
This makes me want to hit level 50 even more than I already did!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#7 Sep 28 2011 at 8:26 AM Rating: Excellent
No new two-hander for Thaumaturge... /facepalm
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#8 Sep 28 2011 at 8:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
159 posts
Drool worthy.

Showing us the loot to wet the appetite.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?63993
Ragnarok
Soratachi
#9 Sep 28 2011 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
That bow is friggin epic. The dagger though... so sad Smiley: lol
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#10 Sep 28 2011 at 8:44 AM Rating: Excellent
IKickYoDog wrote:
That bow is friggin epic. The dagger though... so sad Smiley: lol

What dagger? I think your talking about the Thaumaturge weapon. You talking about the one with the glowing blue orb on the base? (Kinda wierd having the glowing blue orb btw...)
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#11 Sep 28 2011 at 8:56 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
551 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Fat Korean weapons.
When I said "look at what other games have done well" that's definitely not what I meant.


Heheh, I was thinking the same thing. Next one the list will be giant spiky shoulderpads.
____________________________



#12 Sep 28 2011 at 9:22 AM Rating: Decent
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
That bow is friggin epic. The dagger though... so sad Smiley: lol

What dagger? I think your talking about the Thaumaturge weapon. You talking about the one with the glowing blue orb on the base? (Kinda wierd having the glowing blue orb btw...)


That's the one. I still call it a dagger, just cuz to me thats what it looks like.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#13 Sep 28 2011 at 9:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
Zorvan wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Fat Korean weapons.
When I said "look at what other games have done well" that's definitely not what I meant.


Heheh, I was thinking the same thing. Next one the list will be giant spiky shoulderpads.

I'm not usually negative, and this comment is only marginally that; but I have to say, a lot of people on the official forums are complaining about the fact that the weapons glow. I find the glow to be tasteful as far as such things go, and relatively well done. However, I find the proportions of those weapons with the exception of the Halberd and the Staff to be extremely disconcerting. They are just not quite... right. Too big for the characters using them and not really in keeping with the scales of the rest of the gear in the game. I will withhold judgement until we see more of their kind, but for now, I'm somewhat uncomfortable with this art direction (being someone who prefers elegant looking weapons in general).
#14 Sep 28 2011 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Hulan wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Fat Korean weapons.
When I said "look at what other games have done well" that's definitely not what I meant.


Heheh, I was thinking the same thing. Next one the list will be giant spiky shoulderpads.

I'm not usually negative, and this comment is only marginally that; but I have to say, a lot of people on the official forums are complaining about the fact that the weapons glow. I find the glow to be tasteful as far as such things go, and relatively well done. However, I find the proportions of those weapons with the exception of the Halberd and the Staff to be extremely disconcerting. They are just not quite... right. Too big for the characters using them and not really in keeping with the scales of the rest of the gear in the game. I will withhold judgement until we see more of their kind, but for now, I'm somewhat uncomfortable with this art direction (being someone who prefers elegant looking weapons in general).


In before "The Buster Sword was bigger than Cloud!!". Heheh.
____________________________



#15 Sep 28 2011 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
The sword, axe, and a couple others looked great, but some of the others just looked absolutely ridiculous. I like the idea of keeping a theme, but if the outcome makes the weapon look so unbelievably gaudy and out of place with the entire rest of the games art style, it doesn't make a lot of sense imo.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#16 Sep 28 2011 at 10:05 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
I really like that Bow design.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#17 Sep 28 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Just realized the title of this thread says "i f t i t"
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#18 Sep 28 2011 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
I'll go with ... epic.

They could have done much worse. Although the Pugilist weapons... what were they thinking?

Edit: After taking another look at it I'm reminded that Final Fantasy has a history of using items dropped by bosses which allow you craft stellar weapons. Lets hope there is some more of that with the materia crafting system.

Edited, Sep 28th 2011 9:18pm by kainsilv
____________________________



#19 Sep 28 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
Hopefully, if one doesn't like the Ifrit weapon drops, one can have a pretty good and equivalent weapon through materia crafting.

Some people like oversized mounts, shoulders and weapons to prove they're better, and others just prefer to take a different path. Personally, I welcome those new weapons if only for the fact it will make people able to differentiate themselves from each other. (unless the Ifrit weapons are better than anything else, in which case it's all we'll ever see)
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#20 Sep 28 2011 at 12:38 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Good points, everyone; now that I've read the thread over, I have to say that I, too, am unfortunately starting to worry about the gaudiness factor inherent in the new design. How steep is the slope from giant, 200-pound, glowing bows to erupting-volcano shoulder pads? I'm hoping very steep but... bah, now you guys have me worried. >_<
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#21 Sep 28 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Actually all the weapons are made out of magical papier-mâché which glows when drawn. Due to it's magical properties the papier-mâché is as hard as steel but light as a feather. Who knew?
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#22 Sep 28 2011 at 12:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I'll go with ... epic.

They could have done much worse. Although the Pugilist weapons... what were they thinking?

Interesting. The Japanese part of the (official) forum also agrees, btw, that the knuckles are definitely the ugliest of the pack.
#23 Sep 28 2011 at 12:59 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,962 posts
I have to say, for those drawing (obvious) comparisons to a certain game that shall remain nameless, for very good reason, DO NOT!...even think about it.

I'd have to say the equipment more resembles Japan's most popular online series, than it does the nameless game. This gear looks like something straight out of Monster Hunter, and I dig it.

More importantly I VERY much dig the fact that the luminosity maps are only turned on when the weapon is drawn, and I hope they keep this style for all weapons with special effects. I absolutely despise enchanted weapons or enhanced weapons in other games, because I hate the constant mosh of glowing people running around. But if the weapons only erupt into flames, glow, create crazy sparkles etc, during combat, I can totally live with that.

I won't mind seeing slightly more exaggerated equipment, if it's in the style of Monster Hunter, but I'd reserve that equipment for things like this, where there is a specific style designed after a certain beast. As long as their are options, and the equipment doesn't go outside the realm of believable fantasy, or break the overarching style, I'm fine with it.

But I have to say, super props to the art team for choosing not to let these bad boys glow when sheathed. SUPER PROPS.

StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
No new two-hander for Thaumaturge... /facepalm


Smiley: dubious Why would you want one?
#24 Sep 28 2011 at 1:11 PM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
RamseySylph wrote:
I have to say, for those drawing (obvious) comparisons to a certain game that shall remain nameless, for very good reason, DO NOT!...even think about it.

I'd have to say the equipment more resembles Japan's most popular online series, than it does the nameless game. This gear looks like something straight out of Monster Hunter, and I dig it.

More importantly I VERY much dig the fact that the luminosity maps are only turned on when the weapon is drawn, and I hope they keep this style for all weapons with special effects. I absolutely despise enchanted weapons or enhanced weapons in other games, because I hate the constant mosh of glowing people running around. But if the weapons only erupt into flames, glow, create crazy sparkles etc, during combat, I can totally live with that.

I won't mind seeing slightly more exaggerated equipment, if it's in the style of Monster Hunter, but I'd reserve that equipment for things like this, where there is a specific style designed after a certain beast. As long as their are options, and the equipment doesn't go outside the realm of believable fantasy, or break the overarching style, I'm fine with it.

But I have to say, super props to the art team for choosing not to let these bad boys glow when sheathed. SUPER PROPS.

StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
No new two-hander for Thaumaturge... /facepalm


Smiley: dubious Why would you want one?



Glowing only when out is something Aion did quite well. Loved it like that too, my gold gear not only had a better skin but in attack mode had some nice hues/glows :)

I want that bow.... so bad.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#25 Sep 28 2011 at 1:22 PM Rating: Excellent
RamseySylph wrote:
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
No new two-hander for Thaumaturge... /facepalm


Smiley: dubious Why would you want one?

I prefer two handed weapons.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#26 Sep 28 2011 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
No new two-hander for Thaumaturge... /facepalm


Smiley: dubious Why would you want one?

I prefer two handed weapons.


I prefer two shields: I can awkwardly push people around like a rude robot shuffling through a bank line.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#27 Sep 28 2011 at 1:43 PM Rating: Excellent
I think that some of the weapons look great and not too 'over the top' however, the thing thats springs to mind for me is how these weapons will be obtained (I don't mean via the drop) and how hard the battle is. If you've seen the video it looks pretty difficult. My Linkshell has yet to beat the Darkhold!
____________________________
Esuna Forums

#28 Sep 28 2011 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
EdyNOTB, pet mage of Jabober wrote:
I think that some of the weapons look great and not too 'over the top' however, the thing thats springs to mind for me is how these weapons will be obtained (I don't mean via the drop) and how hard the battle is. If you've seen the video it looks pretty difficult. My Linkshell has yet to beat the Darkhold!


My only worry is that his cleaving attack will make people try to once again focus only on ranged damage dealers. Thankfully though, none of his skills seemed to be a small AoE on himself, so as long as melee don't stand in front of him, they're in no more danger than anyone else.
#29 Sep 28 2011 at 1:59 PM Rating: Default
23 posts
What do we get for beating it on "Easy mode" modes are lame imho and so are the weapon designs. not impressed. But on the other hand glad to see others happy honestly.
#30 Sep 28 2011 at 2:00 PM Rating: Excellent
**
952 posts
RamseySylph wrote:
I have to say, for those drawing (obvious) comparisons to a certain game that shall remain nameless, for very good reason, DO NOT!...even think about it.

I'd have to say the equipment more resembles Japan's most popular online series, than it does the nameless game. This gear looks like something straight out of Monster Hunter, and I dig it.

More importantly I VERY much dig the fact that the luminosity maps are only turned on when the weapon is drawn, and I hope they keep this style for all weapons with special effects. I absolutely despise enchanted weapons or enhanced weapons in other games, because I hate the constant mosh of glowing people running around. But if the weapons only erupt into flames, glow, create crazy sparkles etc, during combat, I can totally live with that.

I won't mind seeing slightly more exaggerated equipment, if it's in the style of Monster Hunter, but I'd reserve that equipment for things like this, where there is a specific style designed after a certain beast. As long as their are options, and the equipment doesn't go outside the realm of believable fantasy, or break the overarching style, I'm fine with it.

But I have to say, super props to the art team for choosing not to let these bad boys glow when sheathed. SUPER PROPS.



This. Glowyness in moderation is the way to go.


I do however think the bow and knuckles are a little too big. The bow especially, it just doesn't look proportionate. When I think archer I think nimble. Having to carry a cannon on your back doesn't seem nimble.
#31 Sep 28 2011 at 2:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Tell that to any super-dextrous anime character with a disproportionately large weapon.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#32 Sep 28 2011 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
98 posts
The lance looks amazing!
____________________________
#33 Sep 28 2011 at 2:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,825 posts
Not sure I dig the PGL weapons, but I do really like all the larger weapons... even the bow which is borderline excessive, yet oddly tasteful?

The one handed "dagger" (as so dubbed earlier in this thread) looks like a dubious item for female pleasure from a joke shop.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#34 Sep 28 2011 at 4:37 PM Rating: Excellent
**
929 posts
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
Just realized the title of this thread says "i f t i t"


:S It was like past 11pm when I posted this
#35 Sep 28 2011 at 5:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
Tell that to any super-dextrous anime character with a disproportionately large weapon.


If Final Fantasy XIV was an anime-inspired run-of-the-mill Korean grinder clone, then there might not be a problem.
____________________________



#36 Sep 28 2011 at 5:34 PM Rating: Default
***
3,962 posts
Zorvan wrote:
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
Tell that to any super-dextrous anime character with a disproportionately large weapon.


If Final Fantasy XIV was an anime-inspired run-of-the-mill Korean grinder clone, then there might not be a problem.


Buster Sword would like to have a word with you.
#37 Sep 28 2011 at 5:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Zorvan wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Fat Korean weapons.
When I said "look at what other games have done well" that's definitely not what I meant.


Heheh, I was thinking the same thing. Next one the list will be giant spiky shoulderpads.


Shoulderpads? Like this?

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4166/shoulderp.jpg

I'm sold. As long as it's not WoW copycat. The original.
____________________________




#38 Sep 28 2011 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
RamseySylph wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
Tell that to any super-dextrous anime character with a disproportionately large weapon.


If Final Fantasy XIV was an anime-inspired run-of-the-mill Korean grinder clone, then there might not be a problem.


Buster Sword would like to have a word with you.


There's a Buster Sword in FFXIV?

Far as I've seen, up until this point everything weapon/clothing wise in FFXIV has been on the "simple and realistic" side of things.
____________________________



#39 Sep 28 2011 at 6:06 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
Zorvan wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
Tell that to any super-dextrous anime character with a disproportionately large weapon.


If Final Fantasy XIV was an anime-inspired run-of-the-mill Korean grinder clone, then there might not be a problem.


Buster Sword would like to have a word with you.


There's a Buster Sword in FFXIV?

Far as I've seen, up until this point everything weapon/clothing wise in FFXIV has been on the "simple and realistic" side of things.


I'm just saying, you don't need to look to Korean MMOs, you can just look at the series itself to see exaggerated weapon sizes. You're right though, with that said, I have no qualms with this, as long as it's not the direction all equipment takes. I think for equipment inspire by a large, demonic, flaming, avatar/god thing, it's okay to look like this, you know?
#40 Sep 28 2011 at 7:00 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
RamseySylph wrote:
I think for equipment inspire by a large, demonic, flaming, avatar/god thing, it's okay to look like this, you know?


I agree with you; but with regard to the the general attitude of the genre, there's always a sense among the devs. that they need to constantly outdo themselves in order to perpetuate interest and continue to generate excitement for newly introduced equipment. If these weapons are FFXIV's first set of "endgame" gear, then it doesn't bode well for the level of subtlety we can expect in subsequent sets.

Just look at WoW: there was a time when some equipment actually resembled some sort of clothing, and when shoulder pads were "only" as tall as your head. Now equipment looks like a texture map for a purple lava floor panel spread across one's limbs and body, and shoulders consist of everything from "glowing anti-gravity skulls chained down to anchors sitting on your back" to "devotional statues weeping shining tears into a basin of rippling water."

One problem with a huge surplus of exaggerated gear, though, goes beyond aesthetic, and actually contributes to indifferentiation. As an example: in FFXI, things used to be pretty simple: there was AF, which looked generally awesome, was highly unique, and job defining. Relic came along and placed itself in a hierarchy that was obvious: if you were a SCH, your medal improved, your mortarboard was upgraded, and you looked more professorial than studious. With Abyessa, the next round of armour came in, but only managed to create a sense of intuitive progression in some jobs. BST went from sheep, to more detailed and powerful-looking sheep, to horned demon-sheep; THF, however, went from traditional Final Fantasy Thief, to a bluish version of that, to some guy wearing a white bonnet and puffy leather pants.

My overall point is that I do not disagree with you, and that the problem upon the horizon of FFXIV's equipment is twofold: the first part of the problem is increasingly foppish equipment being introduced; and the second is a decrease in logical progression as an increasing surplus of gear over-the-top begins to lose the ability to sufficiently represent its respective class/job.

I don't know why I bother to write all this out, though. Maybe I'm a hopeless SE fanatic who somehow still believes that some guy at SE will see this and make a good decision; maybe I'm just crazy (but still sane enough to know it!).
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#41 Sep 28 2011 at 7:04 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
I think for equipment inspire by a large, demonic, flaming, avatar/god thing, it's okay to look like this, you know?


I agree with you; but with regard to the the general attitude of the genre, there's always a sense among the devs. that they need to constantly outdo themselves in order to perpetuate interest and continue to generate excitement for newly introduced equipment. If these weapons are FFXIV's first set of "endgame" gear, then it doesn't bode well for the level of subtlety we can expect in subsequent sets.

Just look at WoW: there was a time when some equipment actually resembled some sort of clothing, and when shoulder pads were "only" as tall as your head. Now equipment looks like a texture map for a purple lava floor panel spread across one's limbs and body, and shoulders consist of everything from "glowing anti-gravity skulls chained down to anchors sitting on your back" to "devotional statues weeping shining tears into a basin of rippling water."

One problem with a huge surplus of exaggerated gear, though, goes beyond aesthetic, and actually contributes to indifferentiation. As an example: in FFXI, things used to be pretty simple: there was AF, which looked generally awesome, was highly unique, and job defining. Relic came along and placed itself in a hierarchy that was obvious: if you were a SCH, your medal improved, your mortarboard was upgraded, and you looked more professorial than studious. With Abyessa, the next round of armour came in, but only managed to create a sense of intuitive progression in some jobs. BST went from sheep, to more detailed and powerful-looking sheep, to horned demon-sheep; THF, however, went from traditional Final Fantasy Thief, to a bluish version of that, to some guy wearing a white bonnet and puffy leather pants.

My overall point is that I do not disagree with you, and that the problem upon the horizon of FFXIV's equipment is twofold: the first part of the problem is increasingly foppish equipment being introduced; and the second is a decrease in logical progression as an increasing surplus of gear over-the-top begins to lose the ability to sufficiently represent its respective class/job.

I don't know why I bother to write all this out, though. Maybe I'm a hopeless SE fanatic who somehow still believes that some guy at SE will see this and make a good decision; maybe I'm just crazy (but still sane enough to know it!).


As long as Akihiko Yoshida is art director, I remain hopeful for the future of the game aesthetically. Personally I wish his style was reflected even more than it is, but I don't expect the game to go down the path you are fearing as long as he is at the helm of the art team.
#42 Sep 28 2011 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
513 posts
That bow is freakishly massive and looks way too heavy for the miqo'te to carry, let alone operate. Also, bizarrely the center of mass on it is very high up, which should make it more difficult to keep steady even if you were strong enough to lift it. In general I think several of those weapons are just way too large and need to either be smaller or have unique animations to represent the additional weight. The sword is too thick, the knuckles look plain bad and the lance reminds me of a torch, but the axe and staff at least look good.

Edited, Sep 28th 2011 10:12pm by Omena
____________________________
#43 Sep 28 2011 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Just look at WoW: there was a time when some equipment actually resembled some sort of clothing, and when shoulder pads were "only" as tall as your head.


HERESY, Shoulderpads need to be higher than a giant head. WoW is a failed copycat.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/7/75/UthizzarandCult.jpg

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/5/30/d5323481-0963-4968-99c1-de5858a8383f.jpg


____________________________




#44 Sep 28 2011 at 8:09 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
THM is fugly but I actually like the bow - I dunno crab bow is already all huge and stuff so, whatever, and it looks cool... but the thm weapon, ugh.

Also agreeing about the pug weaps. Others look good to awesome.

Edited, Sep 28th 2011 7:11pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#45 Sep 28 2011 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts

Now where did I put my castle?
____________________________
#46 Sep 28 2011 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts


On my Titan's Shoulderpads, The Zenith of Shoulderpads.
____________________________




#47 Sep 28 2011 at 8:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
531 posts
I agree with the thinking that items from a primal battle make sense to look better than the average weapons. It's neat that the weapons looked to be forged from parts of Ifrit. This style would be a nice trend for future primal fights, if SE implements them to battle against(I'm guessing they would, but you never know for sure!).

Exciting items I look forward to getting! ^^

Go patch 1.19!
____________________________






#48 Sep 28 2011 at 8:44 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
398 posts
Khornette wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Just look at WoW: there was a time when some equipment actually resembled some sort of clothing, and when shoulder pads were "only" as tall as your head.


HERESY, Shoulderpads need to be higher than a giant head. WoW is a failed copycat.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/7/75/UthizzarandCult.jpg

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/5/30/d5323481-0963-4968-99c1-de5858a8383f.jpg




I've seen 40k scaled titans while watching a leage at the old local game shop... I remember someone saying the Imperitor was basicly just legs becuase the whole thing might break some people's tables :P

On topic though, I think they did a farely good job with most of the two handed weapons, I loved the polearm...
The bow and one/dual handed weapons i felt could benifit from thining the models.
#49 Sep 28 2011 at 8:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
31 posts
Oh my Gosh that looks sooo sweet!! +!
____________________________
Taru: BLM 75

Mithra: RNG 75

#50 Sep 28 2011 at 8:59 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
31 posts
also when do i at least become decent not default?
#51 Sep 28 2011 at 9:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
When people care about you :P
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)