Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Patch Notes 1.19 (9/30/2011)Follow

#102 Oct 01 2011 at 11:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
216 posts
I'm not a huge fan of gear swapping either although I admit that I did that in XI. As a SMN, I carried all the ele. staves and had an entire separate set of gear simply for using blood pacts/summoning skill because that's how you'd "maximize efficiency".

For sure you're more effective and a stronger player by maximizing gear usage like that but honestly, it's not what I consider a fun mechanic. Honestly, I think it would make it more strategically-demanding if you had to stick to a certain gear piece, because then you'd have to make a compromise and actually prioritize which stat is more important to bring to the fight. Having said that though, I'd guess I would still gear swap if given the option to because I'd want to keep up with others.
____________________________
Lodestone Profile: Kainase Tyrosin (Besaid)
LS:
#103 Oct 02 2011 at 1:29 AM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
The simple fact you get a penalty for the duration of the entire battle if you change any piece of gear (Because you can always sheathe weapon, then change gear -- active mode isn't hard to get out of) means that even mages should never gear swap.

Being able to cast in passive mode won't really change anyone's life, and I don't really know why people wanted that feature so bad...
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#104 Oct 02 2011 at 1:58 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
I will put down the game and never look back if gear swapping becomes an integral part of the game. I'm not saying it's going to be, or it will be, but if it ever does, that's when I stop playing.

Now I'm not big on role-playing, but gear swapping in battle takes so much out of the "immersive" experience. More than copy-pasted terrain, lag, and every bad thing you can mention about the game put together.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#105 Oct 02 2011 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
575 posts
Never knew gear swapping was so frowned upon (at least from people not still playing XI). I like the idea, but only if it was implemented perfectly. One of my favorite things about FFXI was that when new gear came out it didn't totally replace all existing gear, like happens in other MMOs. People still do Dynamis, Sky and other old end-game events because there is still a use for all those items, thanks to gear swapping.

But, like I said before, FFXI implemented it poorly. The only real way to utilize the system was to use third-party programs. If there was a way to easily tie what gear you wanted to wear for each spell, job ability, etc and perhaps not blink (or visually change at all) for quick abilities, I would be for it. I just hate to work hard for certain gear to find out later that my gear will be worthless when I need to upgrade. Or even worse, miss doing certain end-game events and find that no one does them anymore because the gear has become worthless.

Edited, Oct 2nd 2011 11:51am by Vawn43
#106 Oct 02 2011 at 7:44 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
Theres a use for a lot of gear, and none of it requires gear swapping... it just became the norm, like blink tanking. I hate gear swapping. Yes it separates the "men from the boys", but it also makes certain aspects of a game less inviting to semi-casuals like myself. I don't want to log into a game and decide if I want to hunt for a piece of equipment for 2 hours or join a random group doing something I find entertaining for 2 hours.

If gear is designed right it doesn't become a must have or you can't join our group item. You should be able to perform equally well with the best gear money can buy vs the guy that has the uber cool NM gear assuming he's not as skilled as you are... kinda like some FPS games where noobs still have a chance even though they haven't unlocked the cool weapons. If they just got passed up for the guy with the cool stuff, eventually you wouldn't have any new people joining your game and it would die by attrition.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#107 Oct 02 2011 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
gear swapping in battle takes so much out of the "immersive" experience. More than copy-pasted terrain, lag, and every bad thing you can mention about the game put together.


lol, really? Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#108 Oct 02 2011 at 9:24 AM Rating: Default
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I will put down the game and never look back if gear swapping becomes an integral part of the game. I'm not saying it's going to be, or it will be, but if it ever does, that's when I stop playing.

Now I'm not big on role-playing, but gear swapping in battle takes so much out of the "immersive" experience. More than copy-pasted terrain, lag, and every bad thing you can mention about the game put together.
If only everyone that hated gear swapping in FFXI would have quit the game, we would've been left with a solid, reliable player base.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#109 Oct 02 2011 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
bsphil wrote:
If only everyone that hated gear swapping in FFXI would have quit the game, we would've been left with a solid, reliable player base.


In XI it became the norm and the playerbase ran with it. That's fine. But XIV's system really discourages it, and I'd rather they keep it that way.

Rather than gear swapping for effectiveness, I'd rather have the job system mechanic or macros to re-allocate some stats on the fly for minimal increase. Or even the traits you can buy for guild marks which allow for attribute allocation. But gear swapping in battle, no thanks.


About my comment earlier: I was exaggerating that gear-swapping is worse than all of those features, but my position on that horrible game mechanic still stands.


Edited, Oct 2nd 2011 9:18am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#110 Oct 02 2011 at 1:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,962 posts
bsphil wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I will put down the game and never look back if gear swapping becomes an integral part of the game. I'm not saying it's going to be, or it will be, but if it ever does, that's when I stop playing.

Now I'm not big on role-playing, but gear swapping in battle takes so much out of the "immersive" experience. More than copy-pasted terrain, lag, and every bad thing you can mention about the game put together.
If only everyone that hated gear swapping in FFXI would have quit the game, we would've been left with a solid, reliable player base.


I probably was the most vocal in the whole thread so far about not wanting gear swapping, that doesn't mean that those of us who are vocal about not wanting it in XIV, didn't do it in XI. I carried around 70-80 pieces of gear on my RDM by the end at any given time, and swapped it all out regularly.

Just because it's something I put up with in one game, doesn't mean it should be in another.

I agree that XI's approach to gear, in that one set didn't totally replace another was nice, but they can achieve something similar by making itemization such that different gear is worn for different occasions, as I mentioned previously. I'm not saying this patch will usher in an age of gear swapping, so don't misunderstand, but when someone mentioned it would allow them to do that, I really wanted to just reiterate my feelings that it would be a bad direction for the game to go.
#111 Oct 02 2011 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
Having stationary parties is not my idea of fun. I for one enjoy the thought of roaming parties versus just standing there and having someone pull it back. It worked in XI but it doesn't mean it should be a main focus in this game. It's also downright boring.

Square wrote:
Multishot

The effect of enhanced attack power granted by certain statuses will be shared across the number of arrows nocked.


Maybe I'm reading this wrong but this sounds like a nerf.

#112 Oct 02 2011 at 5:58 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
Holy bonkers Batman!

This is a HUGE patch! Kudos to the dev team for this major effort!!

Makes me truly excited and builds up my hope that one day FFXIV will be epic!!

GO YOSHI-P! XD
#113 Oct 03 2011 at 1:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
136 posts
First of this patch is ushering in a wave of really good changes. Its nice to see the zam community responding positively to it.

Secondly, I'd like to thank Ramsey for really articulating himself well in this thread and expressing one of the new changes I also feel sends the game in a bad direction. Not only did you do a great job expressing your dissatisfaction objectively you threw out 2 simple and easy solutions to solve a very complex problem to not only improve the game but advance the genera.

To reiterate what they were:

1. Gear swapping is an okay tactic as long as its used cleverly and done out of battle, infrequently, and in specific situations.

2. Down time is an important element in an MMO but its best left at specific intervals not frequently between fights. Setting up the camp scenario by cutting the efficiency of soloers and leve-linkers, is hurting a more noticeable element of the game to support a more subtle and arguably creating a different problem entirely. Another obvious solution would be to integrate voice chat it is 2011...



But yes I completely agree with Ramsey's logic on this one. Making FFXIV more like FFXI in some ways is a good idea but they're are plenty of concepts that are in FFXI that just do not hold up in this day and age. I hope the team can recognize this and create a fitting solution in the same way the materia system is cleverly set up to not only give the game more depth but to creatively bridge the gap between DoH,DoL's, and DoW's while at the same time making equipment feel more personalized and a players expression of their character a more deliberated and creative process. Lets just hope the team did this consciously and wasn't just an accidental byproduct of eastern creativity...

Reguardless, thanks again Ramsey i will be using the concepts you expressed to vent my dissatisfaction on the official forums and I hope you've given others a similar kind of insight so that they can more clearly and directly communicate they're complaints.
#114 Oct 03 2011 at 1:59 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Square wrote:
Multishot

The effect of enhanced attack power granted by certain statuses will be shared across the number of arrows nocked.


Maybe I'm reading this wrong but this sounds like a nerf.
It is, but it makes sense.

Instead of Raging Strike basically multiplying its effect when you have more than one arrow shot, it spreads the effect out across each arrow.

I can't say I didn't see it coming eventually.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2011 2:07am by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#115 Oct 03 2011 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
I've been away for a couple weeks. Are we looking at today as the last day to turn our logs into lumber before the patch?
____________________________


#116 Oct 03 2011 at 8:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
569 posts
All i can say with all do honesty is the update can't come soon enough. I don't know whats more disheartening the wait till the update or the fact that I'll be unable to sink my teeth in it till Wednesday....
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
#117 Oct 03 2011 at 8:09 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
First I read this

RamseySylph wrote:
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
[quote]why do you need to cast magic in passive mode?

Doomed. And I'm not even being hyperbolic.

It's not a fun mechanic, it's not a good mechanic, it's not an aesthetically pleasing mechanic, it's a nonsensical mechanic, it's not a deep mechanic, an interesting mechanic, it's not a new player-friendly mechanic, it's not a streamlined mechanic, it's not an intuitive mechanic, it's a horrible. terrible. terrible. terrible. terrible mechanic.


Edited, Sep 30th 2011 7:03pm by RamseySylph


and then I read this

KenJammin wrote:

Not only did you do a great job expressing your dissatisfaction objectively you threw out 2 simple and easy solutions to solve a very complex problem to not only improve the game but advance the genera.


and I tried to really figure out the logic in your statement, but somehow I decided that you just either ignored this part or just consider it to be objective because you agree.
#118 Oct 03 2011 at 1:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
136 posts
Objectively a new player wouldn't want to see gear swapping, as with a large population of the current players. Yes its a bad mechanic, I understand your trying to cheaply poke holes in my argument but I really think your being unfair given the evidence he's provided.

Objectively why would you solve the problem of equipment getting outdated by making it so characters are awkwardly switching gear before each action? Its a basic problem that EVERY MMO has, and you really expect FFXIV to cop out and just use FFXI's tactic?

Objectively its a poor solution. You can argue how much you like gear swapping or how much you didn't but they're are easily better solutions and you can't argue with that, and i hope everyone can agree on that premise and encourage SE to devise a better one should they try and head down that path.
#119 Oct 03 2011 at 2:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
569 posts
I for one am against gear swapping mid fight, it's not only unrealistic but quite bothersome. Did i use it on XI? yes for 7 years i did the full gear swap before and after every skill, attack, WS, cure, nuke, song, exe. And it never got favor from me.

What SE needs to focus on is giving armor a purpose. Example Plate set A for GLD/PLD has full defense stats for tanking and as such gives 100% bonus to those skills. Plate set B has full DPS stats and as such gives 100% bonus to those stats/skills (hopeful for when we get 2h sword. Plate set C has a balance and boosts all skills 25%. This is what i would like to see.
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
#120 Oct 03 2011 at 2:51 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Square wrote:
Multishot

The effect of enhanced attack power granted by certain statuses will be shared across the number of arrows nocked.


Maybe I'm reading this wrong but this sounds like a nerf.
It is, but it makes sense.

Instead of Raging Strike basically multiplying its effect when you have more than one arrow shot, it spreads the effect out across each arrow.

I can't say I didn't see it coming eventually.


Well that sucks. Hopefully it won't affect soloing that much. They did say they were increasing accuracy across the board too, so as long as the hits connect I suppose it couldn't be that bad...right?
#121 Oct 03 2011 at 3:02 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Well that sucks. Hopefully it won't affect soloing that much. They did say they were increasing accuracy across the board too, so as long as the hits connect I suppose it couldn't be that bad...right?

I've soloed most of my way on archer so far and never really stacked RR+Ferocity on Multishot, mainly because I don't or didn't have those abilities on my bars -- so people will be fine without the double-dipping of the buffs.

On that note, it should still work just as good as it used to for Quicknock/Barrage, since the patch note only says that the multishot will get nerfed.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#122 Oct 03 2011 at 3:42 PM Rating: Default
**
863 posts
KenJammin wrote:
Objectively a new player wouldn't want to see gear swapping, as with a large population of the current players. Yes its a bad mechanic, I understand your trying to cheaply poke holes in my argument but I really think your being unfair given the evidence he's provided.

Objectively why would you solve the problem of equipment getting outdated by making it so characters are awkwardly switching gear before each action? Its a basic problem that EVERY MMO has, and you really expect FFXIV to cop out and just use FFXI's tactic?

Objectively its a poor solution. You can argue how much you like gear swapping or how much you didn't but they're are easily better solutions and you can't argue with that, and i hope everyone can agree on that premise and encourage SE to devise a better one should they try and head down that path.


I knew I shouldn't have posted to begin with because it was quite obvious already from your first post that you can't separate opinion from an objective argument. Stating an opinion, and making it sounds like fact doesn't evidence make.

That said, I am not going to argue with you about if gearswapping is fun or boring because it is a matter of opinion and I won't be able to convince you just as little as you will be able to convince me.

Now if you want to argue about whether it is a good mechanic or not, I'd say it all depends on what you mean. If you mean that it is a mechanic that draws fewer players than an alternative way of doing it, I would say that based on the discussions on these forums you might be right (Depends on the alternative of course). However if the definition of a "good mechanic" is that it draws a lot of players I'd say most mechanics that isn't exactly what WoW has, is a bad mechanic. I think we all know that isn't true. In the case of FF I would almost go so far as to say that the opposite might be true (In a lot of cases that is what draws those players to FF instead of other games such as WoW).

Now considering SE's earlier statements regarding who they are aiming this game towards it does seem like they want old XI players mixed with a bit broader of an audience. If that is what they are aiming for I do believe using gearswapping (at least in the way XI did) might be a bad idea. The reason for that however is not because I think the mechanic in itself is bad, but because:

1. The people who seem to hate the mechanic also seem to care a lot more about whether it is used or not, compared to those who like it. This thread is a great example of that since we've had several people stating they will quit XIV the day gearswapping is introduced, compared to zero people who has said they will quit unless the mechanic is introduced. That in itself means that if SE's goal is getting a lot of players, having gearswaps might not be the best idea.

2. The iteration of it seen in XI had flaws and a lot of them.

However that doesn't mean the mechanic itself isn't "deep" or that it is bad. Everyone here seem to work under the assumption that if gearswaps is introduced it will be exactly like in XI. This might of course be true, but there are ways to improve the systems around the mechanic, because quite frankly that seems to be what a lot of people here have issues with, the iteration of it in XI, not the mechanic itself (thought I might be wrong of course).

People talk about how they hate "blinking"? Okay, make it possible to "lock in" a certain look that you keep no matter how much gearswapping you do. You don't think making macros is fun? Okay, streamline the process of making gearswap macros so maybe you only need to drag an icon into a box to get a macro (Don't remember if it was Ramsey who suggested somethink like this earlier). I mean, there are a lot of issues with the XI version of gearswapping, but that doesn't mean XIV has to have the same issues (SE devs are crafty, I am sure they can come up with better solutions to make it work).

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I actually like gearswapping and for a number of different reasons too. This of course does not mean that SE can't come up with anything better, I am sure they can and if they really set their mind to it I am sure they will. I guess the problem is that if they keep the mechanic of gearswapping, they might actually not feel there is a need for anything else and I think that would be unfortunate, so in that sense I do hope they don't allow for gearswapping in XIV.

However, if they are not planning an entirely new system, I do want gearswaps for the simple reason that I think gearswaps is the best mechanic (pertaining to the things that it deals with) to date in any game I've played. You talk about me expecting XIV to "cop out and use the same tactics as XI", well as long as they don't cop out to using any mechanic existing in any other current game, I agree with you they shouldn't cop out at all. Bring out the hammers and nails and get working on something new and exciting and I can assure you I will be first in line to say "hurrah".

I was not trying to "poke holes" in your argument, I really just felt I had to say something when you act as if your way of thinking is the ONLY right way (which you show again in the quoted text by saying "but they're are easily better solutions and you can't argue with that") and even go so far as to claim that this is objectively true.

Also, I just want to say that I have a tendency to sound ruder than I intent (not that I intend to be rude at all) sometimes, I even hear it from friends irl and if I did it wasn't my intention. The fact that english isn't my mothertongue tends to make it worse too, so anyway I apologize if that was/is the case.
#123 Oct 03 2011 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Gear swapping aside (IDC either way) the patch looks good.

I'm still being a jerk and waiting for map changes and class/job additions to round out the changes. I'm assuming that won't be for another few months.
#124 Oct 03 2011 at 4:20 PM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Kierk wrote:
Gear swapping aside (IDC either way) the patch looks good.

I'm still being a jerk and waiting for map changes and class/job additions to round out the changes. I'm assuming that won't be for another few months.


this is what I'm waiting for as well

and PS3.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#125 Oct 03 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
I dont see why abilities cant be tied to the gear and swap itself. For instance you cast "cure" switches gear to CNJ. cast "Heavy Shot" swaps you to Archer gear. Pre sets of gear for each class can be set up prior by you. Like gathering should be if I have a axe I shouldn't have to stop switch to my axe and harv clothes, it would switch automatically when I click log etc.... I think this game is full of unnecessary clicks and steps as it is and it sure would help alleviate a lot of these just by the above suggestion.

Gear swapping is really a pain (yes my opinion and I see I'm not alone)and just adds more monotony then there needs to be. I really really hate gathering and switching between axe and pick axe while gathering. It is already mind numbing running here and there, but then stopping also to switch out gear only gives me the extra 5 secs to realize just how mind numbingly senseless gear swap is. Is it that much trouble if I have the gear in my inv to auto equip it for me?

People come to play MMOs for FUN and challenge and social interactions. They don't want it to feel like work, or be interrupted having fun to do the mundane due to bad mechanics.

Before you pass me off as a "WoW kid" BZZZZZTTT! wrong! I'm 48 and have played pretty much every MMO known to man. I played WoW about 3 months and thought it was just way to easy and not a challenge. I don't mind a grind or finding that hidden quest, not a fan of instancing or timers,or easy mode gameing. I do however think my UI and certain battle mechanics surrounding my UI should be in itself intuitive.Gear swap is just clunky mechanics. I didn't start playing MMOs to learn programming. Maybe it's a blast for others to spend half the day making macros etc. but not for me, I like my challenge to be "playing the game" not "fighting the game to play it."
#126 Oct 03 2011 at 5:39 PM Rating: Decent
One solution I've seen recently is from DCUO. In that game each weapon/armor (except ring/neck) has a style and you can customize each body part with any style you have collected. Then, the only time your image changes is if you swap weapons. Perhaps something similar could be implemented to fix "blinking" if gear swapping does become prevalent.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#127 Oct 03 2011 at 5:41 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Freedom4all wrote:
Before you pass me off as a "WoW kid" BZZZZZTTT! wrong! I'm 48
Peculiar way to go about convincing others that you're older and more mature.

Freedom4all wrote:
I like my challenge to be "playing the game" not "fighting the game to play it."
I agree, and that's one of the reasons I liked FFXIII combat. The more monotonous tasks like picking "Attack" over and over were diminished, and the more abstracted, strategic gameplay elements like organizing parties and creating appropriate paradigm sets were much more important to get right. Strange how much people hated that and craved that SE force them to queue each action manually.

FFXI had the same problem. It was more about finding ways to maneuver around a poor interface than it was about playing the game, strategy, and prior planning. The G15 binder plugin, spellcast, and the rest of the windower plugin lineup subverted the poor UI and reduced the challenge of getting the game to do what you want it to do.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#128 Oct 03 2011 at 5:52 PM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
Freedom4all wrote:
Before you pass me off as a "WoW kid" BZZZZZTTT! wrong! I'm 48 and have played pretty much every MMO known to man. I played WoW about 3 months and thought it was just way to easy and not a challenge. I don't mind a grind or finding that hidden quest, not a fan of instancing or timers,or easy mode gameing.


He's 48 years old; he's played "pretty much every MMO known to man;" he still cannot spell "gaming."

:P
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#129 Oct 03 2011 at 6:29 PM Rating: Default
16 posts
bsphil wrote:
Freedom4all wrote:
Before you pass me off as a "WoW kid" BZZZZZTTT! wrong! I'm 48
Peculiar way to go about convincing others that you're older and more mature.
Because a sense of humor is supposed to be lost at a certain age?

Freedom4all wrote:
I like my challenge to be "playing the game" not "fighting the game to play it."
bsphil wrote:
I agree, and that's one of the reasons I liked FFXIII combat. The more monotonous tasks like picking "Attack" over and over were diminished, and the more abstracted, strategic gameplay elements like organizing parties and creating appropriate paradigm sets were much more important to get right. Strange how much people hated that and craved that SE force them to queue each action manually.
I agree wholeheartedly here.

bsphil wrote:
FFXI had the same problem. It was more about finding ways to maneuver around a poor interface than it was about playing the game, strategy, and prior planning. The G15 binder plugin, spellcast, and the rest of the windower plugin lineup subverted the poor UI and reduced the challenge of getting the game to do what you want it to do.
Exactly and this game suffers the same fate. Like I suggested earlier auto equip according to ability cast.It can be done.


#130 Oct 03 2011 at 10:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
136 posts
Couldn't you just combine all the gear's added effect to make one amazing weapon, and have me collect each peace of that weapon to make the final form of the weapon? Thats basically what gear swapping is it not?

I know you think its an opinion weather or not you like gear swapping but just face facts it isn't, theirs an easier more efficient and better way that everyone will agree is better, and this thread proved that even a handful of armature MMO gamers can come up with a work around in just under a day is embarrassing if SE decides to keep gear swapping...

You don't need unnecessarily huge macro's, extensive inventory management, and blinking character models to encourage players to seek out more then one main hand weapon and main armor set...

Yes he's being objective they're is a wholly better solution available here that pleases all players. SE needs to find them instead of giving up on creativity because they can't objectively sit in a meeting and agree that their has to be a better way to handle gear swapping, its not an opinion its a fact that theirs a better solution and i just gave you one. I'm sure the creative minds that get paid the big bucks to solve this problem should be able to come up with an even better solution then I did.

I like the idea of hunting down multiple weapon sets but i don't like the idea of changing weapons and armor and rings upon using each action as a mage.

On the plus side i don't play a mage and i don't see them changing the code so that you can equip stuff with your weapon drawn so as a DoW i don't have to really worry, i'll just be really disappointed if SE doesn't put any effort into addressing this issue.
#131 Oct 04 2011 at 1:07 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
398 posts
Well, I was curious enough to look up the topic of gearswapping on the official forums. It led me to this.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/5778-Gear-Swap-Possible/page6?highlight=gear+swaping

As well as this, it's all in Japanese so *shurg* but it was part of the provided evidence that all the switching was ment for between fights. By the dates though I think the blog entry was in eirly Agust, like the 4th.

http://www.famitsu.com/blog/ff14/

All in all it seems to have been discussed to death on the official forums and the magority of players there seem to be quite against it.

Let's move on to disscussing the patch as it is and leave the dead horse dead untill Yoshi-P kicks the bee hive.
#132 Oct 04 2011 at 2:40 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
KenJammin wrote:
Couldn't you just combine all the gear's added effect to make one amazing weapon, and have me collect each peace of that weapon to make the final form of the weapon? Thats basically what gear swapping is it not?

I know you think its an opinion weather or not you like gear swapping but just face facts it isn't, theirs an easier more efficient and better way that everyone will agree is better, and this thread proved that even a handful of armature MMO gamers can come up with a work around in just under a day is embarrassing if SE decides to keep gear swapping...

You don't need unnecessarily huge macro's, extensive inventory management, and blinking character models to encourage players to seek out more then one main hand weapon and main armor set...

Yes he's being objective they're is a wholly better solution available here that pleases all players. SE needs to find them instead of giving up on creativity because they can't objectively sit in a meeting and agree that their has to be a better way to handle gear swapping, its not an opinion its a fact that theirs a better solution and i just gave you one. I'm sure the creative minds that get paid the big bucks to solve this problem should be able to come up with an even better solution then I did.

I like the idea of hunting down multiple weapon sets but i don't like the idea of changing weapons and armor and rings upon using each action as a mage.

On the plus side i don't play a mage and i don't see them changing the code so that you can equip stuff with your weapon drawn so as a DoW i don't have to really worry, i'll just be really disappointed if SE doesn't put any effort into addressing this issue.


You know what, I give up. It is impossible to argue with someone who says something like what you do in the second paragraph.

Like the poster above me already mentioned most people are against gearswaps and I think SE has learned its lesson to listen to the players more, so I doubt we will see much, if any of it.

We will have probably have no gearswaps, maybe a different mechanic that works well or maybe they decide to go the WoW route of just getting all new sets as they release new content making old gear obsolete (Has SE mentioned what type of gearprogression they would like to have for XIV?).

In the end though I think that whatever route they choose, we will end up with a great game. Looking forward to the patch tonight and especially the jobs coming later!
#133 Oct 04 2011 at 4:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
yeah i found that second paragraph to be practically illegible. nevertheless, its clear that this is not a game for combat-based gear swapping whether people like it or not. it just doesn't fit into the game's vision.

after jobs are implemented, i imagine things are going to be like this: gear set for party play, gear set for solo play, with maybe a few variations of each depending on the situation. that would be fine with me, since i want to play a fun game, not hunt down extremely situation-specific pieces of gear.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

1 2 3 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)