Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

How to make a Party.Follow

#1 Oct 06 2011 at 6:26 AM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
Go to a camp with more players than yourself and in the chat window type /s Hey guys lets party. be amazed at the inactive chat window as the 3 people that could have added you to the party scurry about as if you don't even ******* exist.

this game is great, loving the new solo oriented patch of ******* love.
#3 Oct 06 2011 at 7:38 AM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
Not a solo orientated patch, and they probably have something else they are doing. Stand in town and shout for a party, last night I shouted one time and got 6 people asking. Just take some initiative.
#4 Oct 06 2011 at 7:47 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
XenoKrates wrote:
Not a solo orientated patch, and they probably have something else they are doing. Stand in town and shout for a party, last night I shouted one time and got 6 people asking. Just take some initiative.


This is because there are more people online checking out the patch, it doesn't diminish the fact that the party search and recruit tool is absolute garbage and no way fitting of a group-orientated game - thankfully they mentioned a revamp of the system is something they're working on.

We can only hope this catches on and people maintain the group-base mindset until the system is changed, because if you tried to sit and town and shout for a party before yesterday you were just wasting your time. Like you said, it's not a solo-orientated patch so if it becomes a chore to form or join a group, people simply won't log in. I'm not condoning the mindset of not putting effort or initiative toward forming a group or saying it's a good or bad thing, simply stating that it will tend to drive away a percentage of the playerbase and we need as many people playing as possible.


Edited, Oct 6th 2011 9:50am by Whales
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#5 Oct 06 2011 at 8:09 AM Rating: Default
*
200 posts
XenoKrates wrote:
Not a solo orientated patch, and they probably have something else they are doing. Stand in town and shout for a party, last night I shouted one time and got 6 people asking. Just take some initiative.


that Was Sarcasm however the asking and being udderly ignored part was not.


Edited, Oct 6th 2011 10:11am by FelixValmont
#6 Oct 06 2011 at 8:18 AM Rating: Excellent
**
941 posts
Quote:
Go to a camp with more players than yourself and in the chat window type /s Hey guys lets party. be amazed at the inactive chat window as the 3 people that could have added you to the party scurry about as if you don't even @#%^ing exist.


Welcome to the anonymity of the Internet?

Getting a party at camps isn’t really a good idea though. You go to the central “hub” in any game just about when looking for stuff to do – then start looking.

It doesn’t excuse the lack of a good party search feature (which I am sure will come to a full blown movement now that partying is the way to go) – but you’re only making it hard on yourself asking someone in remote areas. Why do you think they are at the camp? They are there doing something that’s already in motion. Leve, quest, mission, whatever. They're not there waiting for you to come along and ask them to go out and kill ****.

Don’t forget not everyone is English speaking either – and most people will ignore you instead of telling you they have no idea what you’re saying.
#7 Oct 06 2011 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
And this is why it's really ridiculous that they've made all these changes to combat that basically SCREAM at you to group up, yet they STILL haven't made a working party seek feature and they STILL haven't updated linkshells so that you can kick members/add people from a distance, put up an LSmes, etc...

Honestly, it really baffles me why they haven't fixed that already. It's really basic functionality to the game. It's like everything they are adding is just to appease the veterans who have played this whole time and they are just shunning any new players that might be interested in the game. It's sad, because with a really good party seek function and working linkshells a LOT of the issues with grouping would be alleviated.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#8 Oct 06 2011 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
Whales wrote:
XenoKrates wrote:
Not a solo orientated patch, and they probably have something else they are doing. Stand in town and shout for a party, last night I shouted one time and got 6 people asking. Just take some initiative.


This is because there are more people online checking out the patch, it doesn't diminish the fact that the party search and recruit tool is absolute garbage and no way fitting of a group-orientated game - thankfully they mentioned a revamp of the system is something they're working on.

We can only hope this catches on and people maintain the group-base mindset until the system is changed, because if you tried to sit and town and shout for a party before yesterday you were just wasting your time. Like you said, it's not a solo-orientated patch so if it becomes a chore to form or join a group, people simply won't log in. I'm not condoning the mindset of not putting effort or initiative toward forming a group or saying it's a good or bad thing, simply stating that it will tend to drive away a percentage of the playerbase and we need as many people playing as possible.


Edited, Oct 6th 2011 9:50am by Whales

Oh, I agree completely. They need to have a LFG system and a search feature. Those are #1 on my wishlist.
FelixValmont wrote:
XenoKrates wrote:
Not a solo orientated patch, and they probably have something else they are doing. Stand in town and shout for a party, last night I shouted one time and got 6 people asking. Just take some initiative.


that Was Sarcasm however the asking and being udderly ignored part was not.


Edited, Oct 6th 2011 10:11am by FelixValmont

Sorry, I posted that at like 6:30 A.M.
#9 Oct 06 2011 at 9:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
562 posts
BartelX wrote:
It's sad, because with a really good party seek function and working linkshells a LOT of the issues with grouping would be alleviated.


This is a good point. I honestly think, given the group-centric focus of these changes and drastic gameplay change in regard to character progression, they're going to have to push out a revamp party search function sooner than later, else they risk turning off a lot of people from either coming back or picking up the game.

They haven't mentioned a time frame or any sort of information other than "we're aware it's a problem and are working on it" in the live chat, but I can't see this sort of missing functionality waiting on the type of time between updates we saw with 1.18 -> 1.19, if indeed this change is coming in 1.20 and not later.


Edited, Oct 6th 2011 11:41am by Whales
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#10 Oct 06 2011 at 9:43 AM Rating: Decent
****
6,898 posts
It just seems really backwards to implement a battle system so focused on partying, yet completely neglect any means by which players can group up other than shouting. Just another in a long list of poor decision-making at SE. Don't get me wrong, MOST of patch 1.19 was a huge step in the right direction. But pretty much forcing partying on players without a system to make them is just plain dumb.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#11 Oct 06 2011 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
562 posts
BartelX wrote:
But pretty much forcing partying on players without a system to make them is just plain dumb.


Forget forcing, **** them for making it look so juicy. Exp chains, soul gauges, the sheer number of mobs packed together for "hunting grounds" - it's just such a great change of pace for progressing your character that has so much to offer in the ways of fantastic parties, yet such a pain to form them right now.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#12 Oct 06 2011 at 10:21 AM Rating: Default
****
6,898 posts
If they made a REALLY solid search function and party seek, I don't even think I'd really care as much about the low levels being so awful. But it would have to be really great, like I could just open a window, find a party in my range either already built or forming, and join it. The system could honestly be similar to WoW's dungeon finder. It could find people of similar level, and when enough are seeking, just auto-group you and you can go out and do stuff. It would be great because you could still be doing other things like questing or grinding, and then just get a pop-up saying your party is ready.

If something like that was instituted in the game, it would be an absolute godsend.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#13 Oct 06 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Decent
**
941 posts
Quote:
If something like that was instituted in the game, it would be an absolute godsend.


I'm sure they're not overlooking that feature. Whatever their reasons for making party-based XPing a focus before adding a solid partying feature - I'm fairly confident in the way things are happening now.

Sometimes in a large company you have to do things what seem out of order or out of place at the current time, even outside of the MMO genre. I work for a massive company who seems to make crazy changes all the time that make no sense - but ultimately there's a reason for everything in the 'big picture'. Personally, while being skeptical for a long time, I think their 'big picture' is a good one and you've just got to do all the leg work to make it there.

The overhaul to the SP/EXP/Physical Level/Attributes was a major one - and a very important one. They really did take on a massive task - changing battle algoritms and stats around in such a dramatic manner was neccesary to lay the groundwork. These things needed to be fixed first as a groundwork for mroe content building - as opposed to releasing more content then going back and doing even more 'redoing' of crap.

Give them time to work out the patch kinks and I'm sure one of the new big tickets items will be a improved party UI/feature. . I wouldn't be suprised if it's brought up fairly quickly in the near future.

Edited, Oct 6th 2011 12:34pm by EmotionBlues
#14 Oct 06 2011 at 10:56 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
FelixValmont wrote:
Go to a camp with more players than yourself and in the chat window type /s Hey guys lets party. be amazed at the inactive chat window as the 3 people that could have added you to the party scurry about as if you don't even @#%^ing exist.

this game is great, loving the new solo oriented patch of @#%^ing love.


Yeah WTF. I've tried this same thing numerous times. Every time I've done it... absolutely no response. The BIGGEST difference between XIV and XI is total lack of community.
#15 Oct 06 2011 at 10:59 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
BartelX wrote:
And this is why it's really ridiculous that they've made all these changes to combat that basically SCREAM at you to group up, yet they STILL haven't made a working party seek feature and they STILL haven't updated linkshells so that you can kick members/add people from a distance, put up an LSmes, etc...

Honestly, it really baffles me why they haven't fixed that already. It's really basic functionality to the game. It's like everything they are adding is just to appease the veterans who have played this whole time and they are just shunning any new players that might be interested in the game. It's sad, because with a really good party seek function and working linkshells a LOT of the issues with grouping would be alleviated.



You know... I was sitting there thinking about this last night. If I'm over at SE Japan working on this game, and I see that there is no functional party search function, the FIRST thing I'm going to do is work on this.

I'm not a programmer or anything, but COME ON. Can this issue really be that hard to tackle? There is no tweaking you have to do to classes and mobs etc... it's just a party search function. I feel like 50% on these forums are talented enough if they had 2 weeks could go over there and get something working.
#16 Oct 06 2011 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
562 posts
je355804 wrote:
The BIGGEST difference between XIV and XI is total lack of community.


While true, this is primarily because prior to these recent patches there was zero need for a community in FFXIV. The winds of change are upon us, however.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#17 Oct 06 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Whales wrote:
je355804 wrote:
The BIGGEST difference between XIV and XI is total lack of community.


While true, this is primarily because prior to these recent patches there was zero need for a community in FFXIV. The winds of change are upon us, however.


I hope you're right! And with a bit of bias and optimism to back it up, I think you're correct.
#18 Oct 06 2011 at 11:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
941 posts
Quote:
You know... I was sitting there thinking about this last night. If I'm over at SE Japan working on this game, and I see that there is no functional party search function, the FIRST thing I'm going to do is work on this.

I'm not a programmer or anything, but COME ON. Can this issue really be that hard to tackle? There is no tweaking you have to do to classes and mobs etc... it's just a party search function. I feel like 50% on these forums are talented enough if they had 2 weeks could go over there and get something working.


I'm going to disagree here. The main thing is resources alotted - if everyone is working on a massive objective (nobody can argue that the amount of content changes in 1.19 is staggering) then this can easily have to be put off to the side.

If you were to ask the development team if:

All the stuff done in 1.19

or

A party search UI/feature update

Was more important - the massive overhauls to XP, battle and chocobos/airships/Caravans/Ifrit/etc. would be the responce you get.

What people forget is that - before this patch everyone knew the party search thing was useless and it needed work... but it didn't even hold a CANDLE to the amount of commentary surrounding: Chocobos, New content, Airships, all sorts of other stuff... So they fixed that stuff first.

Now, with an overhauled system, the glaring need for something better is more apparent. There's still a lot of stuff to do: Jobs, more content, more battles, massive class changes and ability changes, party search feature, mail system, etc..

Don't pretend to know what it's like being a developer coming into a crumbling game and trying to put the pieces back together. Don't doubt that party search/UI isn't on the table either - they're doing a stand up job repairing everything that's broken and this will be something that will be fixed also.
#19 Oct 06 2011 at 11:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
562 posts
EmotionBlues wrote:
If you were to ask the development team if:

All the stuff done in 1.19

or

A party search UI/feature update

Was more important - the massive overhauls to XP, battle and chocobos/airships/Caravans/Ifrit/etc. would be the responce you get.


I get the feeling the big changes we saw in 1.19 were in development for a lengthy amount of time, as such it's often difficult to justify reassigning the resources dedicated to those projects and/or delaying their launch.

That being said, given the nature of the changes we've seen recently, I disagree completely and argue that yes, a viable party search function is far more important than Chocobos or Airships, but that those items probably had more time invested in their progress toward completion to justify switching focus.

____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#20 Oct 06 2011 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
*
220 posts
What was it again?

/sea rdm 60-63 - then spam (Hello!) (Looking for Party?) (Cape Terrigan) (Alright!)

I was really fast at that, others complained about how hard it was to get a job as a DRK, blah blah blah... but really if u spam the entire world it's so easy! I guess that's why they made /anon cuz of people like me, which they also need to add.
#21 Oct 06 2011 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
**
941 posts
Quote:
That being said, given the nature of the changes we've seen recently, I disagree completely and argue that yes, a viable party search function is far more important than Chocobos or Airships, but that those items probably had more time invested in their progress toward completion to justify switching focus.


Well, importance = how many people are begging for something on the official forums really. If everyone on the official forums had been:

"new search feature please" with hunderds of posts... and barely anyone talking about "Not feeling like a Final Fantasy" or "Chocobos/Mounts/Airships/Travel is terrible" ... I'm pretty confident they would have done Party features first.

But the fact is - everyone was talking about Anima costs, travel time, getting from A>B, mounts, not feeling like a FF .. and much more.

I do agree they were probably already in the works - but on that same note, an improved search feature probably was/is also.
#22 Oct 06 2011 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
FelixValmont wrote:

that Was Sarcasm however the asking and being udderly ignored part was not.



maybe they didn't want to party with someone who talks about cow tits all the time.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#23 Oct 06 2011 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
**
941 posts
Quote:
maybe they didn't want to party with someone who talks about cow tits all the time.


Moo.
#24 Oct 06 2011 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
******
48,727 posts
Llester wrote:
maybe they didn't want to party with someone who talks about cow tits all the time.
Well you fight like a dairy farmer.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Oct 06 2011 at 12:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
Do the party search features in XIV work? Yes. Do they need optimization and simplification? Yes. However, I continue to argue that the true deficiency lies in failure of people to use the system. For some reason I cannot fathom people refuse to use it. Regardless of the fact it needs work it does achieve the same goals as the party search feature in XI.

I’m maybe being a little patronizing but this is how you use the party search features in XIV.

Putting up the proverbial flag: If you go into the Party >> Recruit >> Purpose: Seek Invite you can essentially put a flag up for the class currently equipped. You may change class after seeking invite and the class you had equipped when you started the search will remain active for 60 minutes. During this time people may search for you.

Searching for the job you want: If you go under the Search >> Purpose : Seek Invite you can search for individual classes

Searching for parties by activity:It works the opposite way from the seek invite system. Party >> Search >> Purpose: [Activity] (i.e. Quests, Regional leves, etc…) In this case the seeker joins a party doing the activities that are of interest to them. People can be recruited into an existing party from the "Seek Party" option.

The problem is how do you convince people to start seeking and using the system? The SE answer was to make party based play essential to the game. I’m afraid however this will not be enough.


Edited, Oct 6th 2011 2:17pm by kainsilv
____________________________



#26 Oct 06 2011 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
1.) Go to Ul'dah.

2.) /shout (Experiences Points) (Party) 35-40 (Do you need it?) 1/8

3.) Adjust level range as needed.

4.) Repeat until party is full.

5.) Follow anyone of the numerous guides available to pick suitable party location.

I agree fully that a party search that people will use is absolutley a high priority, and was even a year ago. Seek Party flags and /sea job functions worked just fine in FFXI. Even better after Level Synch, which will hopefullt find it's way to FFXIV as well.

Meanwhile, running around some random camp /s "Do you want to party?" to some people that are either AFK or busy is not going to work. Looks like you know this now.

#27 Oct 06 2011 at 3:15 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Or SE should just put in a simplified party search feature along with a surgeon finder type thing :D
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#28 Oct 06 2011 at 3:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
kainsilv wrote:
Do the party search features in XIV work? Yes. Do they need optimization and simplification? Yes. However, I continue to argue that the true deficiency lies in failure of people to use the system. For some reason I cannot fathom people refuse to use it. Regardless of the fact it needs work it does achieve the same goals as the party search feature in XI.

I’m maybe being a little patronizing but this is how you use the party search features in XIV.

Putting up the proverbial flag: If you go into the Party >> Recruit >> Purpose: Seek Invite you can essentially put a flag up for the class currently equipped. You may change class after seeking invite and the class you had equipped when you started the search will remain active for 60 minutes. During this time people may search for you.

Searching for the job you want: If you go under the Search >> Purpose : Seek Invite you can search for individual classes

Searching for parties by activity:It works the opposite way from the seek invite system. Party >> Search >> Purpose: [Activity] (i.e. Quests, Regional leves, etc…) In this case the seeker joins a party doing the activities that are of interest to them. People can be recruited into an existing party from the "Seek Party" option.

The problem is how do you convince people to start seeking and using the system? The SE answer was to make party based play essential to the game. I’m afraid however this will not be enough.


Edited, Oct 6th 2011 2:17pm by kainsilv



It's not a deficiency on the part of the user. It's a deficiency on the part of the software. People aren't going to use something that doesn't make sense, period.

We can argue semantics about what "makes sense" means, however I think simply put the current search feature is rather horrible. Why not just put back up search flags? This was a perfect system as far as I can tell. Perhaps it all goes along with the elimination of the "number of users online" feature. SE doesn't want people to see that there are only 37 people in the entire world seeking a party.
#29 Oct 06 2011 at 3:52 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
There could be any number of reasons someone wants to party. Since the search/seeking functions are still useless in this game, just saying "party?" is akin to saying "green?".

If you want a party at the moment, you need to put one together and specify what it's for when looking for members. The lazy days of standing around with a ? up waiting for someone to do all the work for you are over barring standing in town aimlessly waiting for a shout.
If you are at an aetherite, and want to party up with others for leves, remember to include ur rank when /s.
Many people do leves as a quick sp event, and may not have time to do it in a party, with the extra leves another person might add in. Also, I don't think anyone is obligated to respond personally to a general /say.

Methinks some of the issues with getting a party may be in your approach.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#30 Oct 06 2011 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
I posted this on the main forums. As can plainly be seen the official forums are full of retards.
#31 Oct 06 2011 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Restyoneck wrote:
There could be any number of reasons someone wants to party. Since the search/seeking functions are still useless in this game, just saying "party?" is akin to saying "green?".

If you want a party at the moment, you need to put one together and specify what it's for when looking for members. The lazy days of standing around with a ? up waiting for someone to do all the work for you are over barring standing in town aimlessly waiting for a shout.
If you are at an aetherite, and want to party up with others for leves, remember to include ur rank when /s.
Many people do leves as a quick sp event, and may not have time to do it in a party, with the extra leves another person might add in. Also, I don't think anyone is obligated to respond personally to a general /say.

Methinks some of the issues with getting a party may be in your approach.


This is in no way rhetorical or sarcastic.

I am very interested in forming good parties. Is the most efficient way to do this as of the current state of the game, to stand in Uldah and shout if anyone would like to party?
#32 Oct 06 2011 at 6:23 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
CupDeNoodles wrote:
I posted this on the main forums. As can plainly be seen the official forums are full of retards.


Nope, just full of endgame vets who already have linkshells and don't give 2 ***** about anyone else. I got the same type of feedback about low level XP. A bunch of level 50 guys saying everything is perfectly fine when they hadn't even been on a lowbie job... because all of them were 20+.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#33 Oct 06 2011 at 9:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Llester wrote:
maybe they didn't want to party with someone who talks about cow tits all the time.
Well you fight like a dairy farmer.



well you fight like a spider-man farmer!
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#34 Oct 08 2011 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,878 posts
I am absolutely dumbfounded that there is still no seek function in this game. How the heck is this not a priority?
____________________________
OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote: I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest...

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)