Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Highlanders as Mages?Follow

#1 Oct 06 2011 at 11:51 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
7 posts
Hey, just signed up for FF14 and I was thinking of a character that would be mostly a melee type, finding the highlander to be suitable, I also wanted to know what they are like ion the disciples of magic area. Thanks.
#2 Oct 06 2011 at 11:53 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,718 posts
They're limited as mages. You could say there can be only one of them.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Oct 06 2011 at 11:59 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
7 posts
lol good one. What about regular Midlanders then?
#4 Oct 06 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
***
3,962 posts
CerebrusGeass wrote:
lol good one. What about regular Midlanders then?


You have no disadvantages playing a Highlander as a caster, your chosen race only has a minor impact on stats.
#5 Oct 06 2011 at 1:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
You have no disadvantages playing a Highlander as a caster, your chosen race only has a minor impact on stats.

Make that a "practically non-existant impact" now, and "no impact at all" after the next patch. In FFXIV race doesn't matter a lot more than cosmetics. I have to know, since I don't like this fact ^.^/
#6 Oct 06 2011 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
7 posts
Interesting. thanks for the info.
I decided to roll a midlander male anyways on Besaid.
It seems alot more populated than Wutai which is where I made my first character.
#7 Oct 06 2011 at 2:26 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Quote:
I have to know, since I don't like this fact ^.^/


Really? I kinda think it's great! If I want to play a rogaedyn mage I can with no discernable difference from a lalafell mage. That was one thing I'm glad they did away with from FFXI. I always regretted not going as a galka tank for the high HP. I know it wasn't a HUGE difference, but in endgame stuff there that extra 1-200 hp was sometimes the difference between life and death.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#8 Oct 06 2011 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Really? I kinda think it's great! If I want to play a rogaedyn mage I can with no discernable difference from a lalafell mage. That was one thing I'm glad they did away with from FFXI. I always regretted not going as a galka tank for the high HP. I know it wasn't a HUGE difference, but in endgame stuff there that extra 1-200 hp was sometimes the difference between life and death.

Yesyes, we rode that argument to death. I completely understand what you mean - Galka myself, playing a mage was never really fun. But there would have been a solution that pleases both of us: make the difference between races significant to add a little flavor, but provide a way to compensate that just requires a little extra work. The RSE was a good idea in theory; 'twas just a pity that most of the pieces couldn't match the other gear available for the respective slots ^^

Besides: With the custom stat allocation and diminishing returns, the difference could have been pushed down into the "neglegible" realm anyway. So making all races one big grey wish-wash pudding from the beginning is just an opportunity for "flavor" lost in my opinion.

Edited, Oct 6th 2011 4:34pm by Rinsui
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)