Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Technical difficulties or does my computer just suck?Follow

#1 Oct 09 2011 at 1:32 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
5 posts
So, for awhile now ive been having this problem. I go to play for awhile, and then the screen goes black. The computer is still on, I continue to hear "Game Noises" through the speakers, though it does not seem to be reacting to any imput from me. I am not able to escape out, "window button" out, or even hard restart by holding down cntrl-alt-del. Only thing i can do is hold the power button to restart. This can happen after ten minutes of play, or two hours, i have noticed.

Not sure what to do, i know my system is kinda gimped, and i have set all the graphical settings as low as possible. Any ideas on causes/solutions? I really want to play this game (besides the fact that it is getting quite good from the improvements im reading), and i cannot necessarily buy a new computer. Otherwise i just hope the PS3 version comes out soon.

Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.80 Ghz
Memory: 4096 Ram (4 Gigs)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
Vram: 1904 mb

Help a player out!
____________________________
http://static2.finalfantasyxiv.com/csnap/1ki4r_s_780c7c9be66fa2f04861d66c7919ab36.png?gewqhd3d
Miqo'te / Keeper of the Moon Female
Thaumaturge/Blm Conjurer/Whm
Nameday 25th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
Guardian Rhalgr, the Destroyer
Starting City Ul'dah
Flame Private Third Class
Hyperion


#2 Oct 09 2011 at 1:38 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
Could be a few things, but my first guess would be drivers. Are your drivers up to date?

Second guess is that your GPU just stops working because it's overheating. Do you have any software to monitor what your temperatures are? You didn't list what settings you run at, but try lowering them(after you update your drivers) and see if the issue clears up or takes longer before showing up.

The last thing you should do is buy a PC to play this game. There is a 50some page thread on these forums riddled with people who spent way too much money on a rig that would chew up any other game, yet they still have issues running XIV.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#3 Oct 09 2011 at 5:58 AM Rating: Good
EzraGabriel wrote:
So, for awhile now ive been having this problem. I go to play for awhile, and then the screen goes black. The computer is still on, I continue to hear "Game Noises" through the speakers, though it does not seem to be reacting to any imput from me. I am not able to escape out, "window button" out, or even hard restart by holding down cntrl-alt-del. Only thing i can do is hold the power button to restart. This can happen after ten minutes of play, or two hours, i have noticed.

Not sure what to do, i know my system is kinda gimped, and i have set all the graphical settings as low as possible. Any ideas on causes/solutions? I really want to play this game (besides the fact that it is getting quite good from the improvements im reading), and i cannot necessarily buy a new computer. Otherwise i just hope the PS3 version comes out soon.

Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.80 Ghz
Memory: 4096 Ram (4 Gigs)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
Vram: 1904 mb

Help a player out!


Not saying much, but you have a minimal system at best, if even that. First, you are on a 32 bit system, only have 3.2gb of actual memory. Single core processor, ......not even minimum specs. Sorry, but probally the computer.

River
____________________________


http://theforsakenlink.com

5040 X 1050 with Matrox Triple Head 2 Go
480 in SLI
I-7 950 OC 3.68 Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 1600
1000w PSU
#4 Oct 09 2011 at 6:03 AM Rating: Good
FilthMcNasty wrote:

Second guess is that your GPU just stops working because it's overheating.

Agree here. Defenitately overheating or bottlenecking.

FilthMcNasty wrote:

The last thing you should do is buy a PC to play this game.

Correct here, but if you WANTED a new computer, great time to update. You don't need a 5k$$ rig, but for the price of a ps3, a decent rig would run the game.
FilthMcNasty wrote:

There is a 50some page thread on these forums riddled with people who spent way too much money on a rig that would chew up any other game, yet they still have issues running XIV.


Some ppl just need to brag on their system. I am one, however, my rig is for much more than just one game!

As always good advice, balance your budget based on needs and reality. Then place wants.
____________________________


http://theforsakenlink.com

5040 X 1050 with Matrox Triple Head 2 Go
480 in SLI
I-7 950 OC 3.68 Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 1600
1000w PSU
#5 Oct 09 2011 at 7:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
that spec actually the same with mine, except that I use phenom ii 555 be, and on xp
thing going smooth here
#6 Oct 09 2011 at 10:15 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
5 posts
UPDATE:
I also dual boot XP, so i went there, made sure all drivers were up to date, installed and updated for XP, and it plays fine (at least for this initial play, i managed to play for a few hours without incident, or lag). I even tweaked the graphic setting up just a little, and it still played like a dream. My nvidia drivers were outdated, but not by much. I updated them, but havent yet tried in 7 yet.

Here are my nvidia settings for this game:
Anisotropic filtering: Application Controlled (turned off)
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Off
Antialiasing - Mode: Off
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
CUDA - GPUs: All
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Power managment mode: Adaptive
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering - Quality: High performance
Texture filtering - trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical sync: Use 3D application setting
____________________________
http://static2.finalfantasyxiv.com/csnap/1ki4r_s_780c7c9be66fa2f04861d66c7919ab36.png?gewqhd3d
Miqo'te / Keeper of the Moon Female
Thaumaturge/Blm Conjurer/Whm
Nameday 25th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
Guardian Rhalgr, the Destroyer
Starting City Ul'dah
Flame Private Third Class
Hyperion


#7 Oct 09 2011 at 10:44 PM Rating: Good
****
4,153 posts
EzraGabriel wrote:
My nvidia drivers were outdated


You're welcome :D
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#8 Oct 10 2011 at 9:49 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
5 posts
FURTHER UPDATE:
I tried it in 7 (with updated drivers) and it still ran like a cold ****. BUT it (so far) plays just fine on xp, so whenever i want to play, i'll just boot into xp and play. Thanks for the tips and help! and if you have any more, i'd definitly appreciate them? Any hints on nvidia settings?
____________________________
http://static2.finalfantasyxiv.com/csnap/1ki4r_s_780c7c9be66fa2f04861d66c7919ab36.png?gewqhd3d
Miqo'te / Keeper of the Moon Female
Thaumaturge/Blm Conjurer/Whm
Nameday 25th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
Guardian Rhalgr, the Destroyer
Starting City Ul'dah
Flame Private Third Class
Hyperion


#9 Oct 10 2011 at 1:31 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
The CPU isn't doing you any favors either. Both the CPU and GPU are borderline minimum specs.

If you're going to spend money on a new PC (that mobo won't support a new CPU anyway), check on this thread and remember to not build a PC just for FFXIV.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#10 Oct 10 2011 at 11:50 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
5 posts
Oh, were that I had money to build a new rig, or even the 5 or 600 to just buy a new computer. For now its this six year old beast, and a hope and a prayer. Also, the hope that the **** thing comes out on ps3 eventually.
____________________________
http://static2.finalfantasyxiv.com/csnap/1ki4r_s_780c7c9be66fa2f04861d66c7919ab36.png?gewqhd3d
Miqo'te / Keeper of the Moon Female
Thaumaturge/Blm Conjurer/Whm
Nameday 25th Sun of the 4th Umbral Moon
Guardian Rhalgr, the Destroyer
Starting City Ul'dah
Flame Private Third Class
Hyperion


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)