Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Something people are not consideringFollow

#1 Oct 10 2011 at 4:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Just wondering your thoughts on this... I am reading a lot of posts talking about the fact that people can now be power leveled etc. etc.

I've talked to about 10 people in the game today, and not one of them knows anyone who is handing out "free power leveling." The common sentiment by the nay-sayers to the power leveling scandal is that they don't want people getting all these levels for free while AFK without having to do any work on their own.

I don't know if perhaps a lot of you are in large link shells where there are a good number of individuals power leveling everyone they know... But given my very small sample, in a non-scientific study, I don't think the whole power leveling thing is as rampant as people would make it out to be.

The bottom line is you have to know someone who is willing to waste their time leveling you up... And I just don't think there are TONS of individuals willing to waste hours doing this. I could be wrong... but this is just an opinion.

I don't really know what the implications of my point are (or complete lack of implications), but I just think it's not realllllly a big deal. Just another stone for critics to cast at this game.

With that said... it puzzles me why the developers would take yet ANOTHER highly controversial game feature and add it in. If they did everything they did in 1.19 and simply left out the Power Leveling, I think the general review would be favorable. However, it seems like they are truly making a habit of adding polarizing features to a game that at this stage can't afford to be polarized.

I think you'll have a ton of people vocal about the fact they EMPHATICALLY DO NOT want individuals able to level up while AFK, while I don't think you're going to have masses of people saying that if they can't get their XP while AFK they are going to quit the game. Perhaps I have mis-guaged this observation however.



#2 Oct 10 2011 at 4:24 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
je355804 wrote:
The bottom line is you have to know someone who is willing to waste their time leveling you up... And I just don't think there are TONS of individuals willing to waste hours doing this.


"I'll powerlevel you for an hour if you powerlevel me for an hour" -Linkshell chat. Thus everyone involved gets dozens of levels in a few hours; make a party of six people willing to do this (shouldn't be too hard in a 'shell) and everyone gets to leech for 5 out of every 6 hours - pretty nice.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#3 Oct 10 2011 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Powered leveled my friend this Sunday from 39 to 48. Normally I wouldn't bother with it but he has a lot less time with the ball and chain & baby, but still wanted to do events with us from time to time.

The whole "I scratch your back,you scratch mine" KaneKitty is talking about, I see everywhere too.

Edit: And yes I think it's ridiculous I got him form 39 to 48 in one day.

Edited, Oct 11th 2011 12:31am by RedGalka
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____
[ffxivsig]499417[/ffxivsig]
#4 Oct 10 2011 at 4:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Powered leveled my friend this Sunday from 39 to 48. Normally I wouldn't bother with it but he has a lot less time with the ball and chain & baby, but still wanted to do events with us from time to time.

The whole "I scratch your back,you scratch mine" KaneKitty is talking about, I see everywhere too.

Edit: And yes I think it's ridiculous I got him form 39 to 48 in one day.

Edited, Oct 11th 2011 12:31am by RedGalka



Looks like I just don't know the right people in this game then lol!!!
#5 Oct 10 2011 at 5:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,652 posts
Quote:
And yes I think it's ridiculous I got him form 39 to 48 in one day.


I find it far more amazing a single person can kill things by themselves to give a level 45+ decent XP. Let alone a group of 45+.

I don't see the issue with power leveling however.

If you and a buddy want to work out a deal to get ranks, then so be it. It's no business of mine.
#6 Oct 10 2011 at 6:33 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
Smelly wrote:
If you and a buddy want to work out a deal to get ranks, then so be it. It's no business of mine.


Once people realize it's faster to just ask for powerleveling from others, they'll forgo leveling in groups all together. This isn't a case where "you do your thing, I'll do mine" - if it's far easier to reach r50 via powerleveling compared to traditional group-based exp grinds (which it currently is), no one will form parties and the only method players will employ to reach endgame is PL services.

Powerleveling shouldn't be thought of as a "you do what you want and I'll do what I want" type experience, it's a plague that once it takes hold across an MMO scene, it dominates the entire population until and if the game developers do something about it.

If the current situation stands, then the developers are basically saying "the journey to max level doesn't matter, reach it however possible. The game will begin there" which means this won't be the game for me. It might be for others, but I'll be looking elsewhere.

Edited, Oct 10th 2011 8:39pm by Whales
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh

[ffxivsig]286961[/ffxivsig]
#7 Oct 10 2011 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,652 posts
So this is a case of "I'll do what I want and you'll do what I want too!" ?
#8 Oct 10 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
The destructive part of power leveling is that in it's ultimate end it will punish those that don't or won't.

People who are 50 will not bother to make things like low level gear. Or they'll just trash them if there's not a market for them. The GoV burns in FFXI have done just that to low and mid level gear. The only way there is the amount of reasonable gear is because the game has been around for 10 years.

I want to play the game, not leech. And although leveling should be fast, and we should be able to party with our friends, it shouldn't be like this. Allowing powerleveling like this is just lazy design.

I have a very strong feeling that this "allowance" of powerleveling is just a test by Yoshi to continue testing game and party dynamics. And it will come to an end when another system is put in place.


#9 Oct 10 2011 at 6:47 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
Smelly wrote:
So this is a case of "I'll do what I want and you'll do what I want too!" ?


Games that involve a community are about give and take. When the desires of one group negatively impacts the experience of another group, the needs of the latter are placed at a higher priority than that of the first, yes.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh

[ffxivsig]286961[/ffxivsig]
#10 Oct 10 2011 at 7:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,652 posts
You may paint your words with a lovely shade of benevolence and righteousness and that may work on a lot of people, but not on me. I'm sorry.

The power leveling enigma that has appeared is simply an indicator to the real issue: What is being rewarded in terms of experience points is far below what people are finding acceptable due to the effort required.

I'm not surprised nor am I outraged. This is a new battle and experience point system and it is going to have some rough edges.

Leaving the current system as is and removing the power leveling ability is not going to make people "do it right". It's going to make them leave. The game doesn't really need that.

Being more generous with the experience points and removing the power leveling ability is fine however.

That being said. When people start the game. They are alone. They do most things all by themselves for awhile. Trying to get a hold of the game play. Meeting people. Making friends. Oh and believe it or not most people do not make friends in experience point parties contrary to the myth. They make them in social linkshells, events, and missions.

Playing alone compounded upon feeling like you are making almost no progress is a real fast way to get people to give up.
#11 Oct 10 2011 at 7:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
Smelly wrote:
You may paint your words with a lovely shade of benevolence and righteousness and that may work on a lot of people, but not on me. I'm sorry.

The power leveling enigma that has appeared is simply an indicator to the real issue: What is being rewarded in terms of experience points is far below what people are finding acceptable due to the effort required.

I'm not surprised nor am I outraged. This is a new battle and experience point system and it is going to have some rough edges.

Leaving the current system as is and removing the power leveling ability is not going to make people "do it right". It's going to make them leave. The game doesn't really need that.

Being more generous with the experience points and removing the power leveling ability is fine however.

That being said. When people start the game. They are alone. They do most things all by themselves for awhile. Trying to get a hold of the game play. Meeting people. Making friends. Oh and believe it or not most people do not make friends in experience point parties contrary to the myth. They make them in social linkshells, events, and missions.

Playing alone compounded upon feeling like you are making almost no progress is a real fast way to get people to give up.


What you are in essence stating here is a premise I completely agree with: this game cannot afford to lose players. The extent at which it employs to keep a hold of those logging in, is the degree to which we disagree.

The fact of the matter is both of us are incorrect though, given that we're judging a product that's for all to be considered incomplete. What we're seeing now is the tail end of a major patch, what this game looks like in six, 12 or even 18 months who knows. What many of us vocal minority on these forums address are the issues we see in our daily tasks, and at the moment it's a broken system that rewards those who put forth effort and those who stand by idle in the wings carried by the more powerful equally. To that extent, the current system seems broken.

I agree that the game needs to be friendly to newcomers, and I agree that the ease of companionship should be effortless for friends and fellowship alike, but to implement powerleveling attributes across the board to the extent we have seen in path 1.19 helps no one - in the end a player carried on any leg of their journey is no better off than when they began.


Edited, Oct 10th 2011 9:30pm by Whales
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh

[ffxivsig]286961[/ffxivsig]
#12 Oct 10 2011 at 10:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Kierk wrote:
The destructive part of power leveling is that in it's ultimate end it will punish those that don't or won't.

People who are 50 will not bother to make things like low level gear. Or they'll just trash them if there's not a market for them. The GoV burns in FFXI have done just that to low and mid level gear. The only way there is the amount of reasonable gear is because the game has been around for 10 years.

I want to play the game, not leech. And although leveling should be fast, and we should be able to party with our friends, it shouldn't be like this. Allowing powerleveling like this is just lazy design.

I have a very strong feeling that this "allowance" of powerleveling is just a test by Yoshi to continue testing game and party dynamics. And it will come to an end when another system is put in place.





Funny you say that... My brother and I started up FFXI again ohhhhh about 8 months ago, and we immediately stopped because there was ZERO gear for sale for any of the lower levels.
#13 Oct 10 2011 at 10:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Smelly wrote:
You may paint your words with a lovely shade of benevolence and righteousness and that may work on a lot of people, but not on me. I'm sorry.

The power leveling enigma that has appeared is simply an indicator to the real issue: What is being rewarded in terms of experience points is far below what people are finding acceptable due to the effort required.




no, no, no. you have it figured all wrong. when a feature like powerleveling is added/allowed, it is human nature to forego all inferior methods of exp in favor of the fastest route to max level. unless you're one of the weirdos who actually try to enjoy the journey of the game, instead of rush to endgame where the race for gear begins. no one really wants to play mmorpgs, they just want to play Gearhunter.

Whale said it perfectly, and he clearly understands human nature. It's absurd to say "people are PLing each other because exp sucks", when clearly people are PLing each other because it's insanely, exponentially better exp than "the normal way", and more importantly because THEY CAN.

people will ALWAYS choose the fastest/easiest route to endgame, which is weird in a game/franchise that supposedly values the story and the journey above all. They honestly may as well just let us start the game at level 50.

also, clearly you are trolling if you say exp in this game doesn't flow fast enough. i can easily get a level a night soloing on my pugilist if i really want to, and in fact i've gone from 33 to 38 in about a week. pace is fine with me. perhaps your definition of "good exp" is different than mine. whatever.
____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#14 Oct 10 2011 at 10:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
je355804 wrote:

Funny you say that... My brother and I started up FFXI again ohhhhh about 8 months ago, and we immediately stopped because there was ZERO gear for sale for any of the lower levels.


hi, my name is Abyssea. i made XI more fun than ever and also wrecked the game.




on a serious note, there is a good chance we will see the same thing happening in XIV if PLing really does become "the way". if everyone afks through most of their levels, no one will be buying gear. hence, no one will be making it. gg SE.

i honestly thought yoshi was smarter than this. edit: good point Whales, this is an incomplete product, and i expect things to change, obviously. I expect PLing to still be possible but not at such ridiculous extremes. for all we know, the devs are allowing it for now in order to let people like me who haven't been playing nonstop since launch "catch up". /shrug.

Edited, Oct 11th 2011 12:41am by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#15 Oct 10 2011 at 10:48 PM Rating: Decent
****
6,899 posts
Llester wrote:
no, no, no. you have it figured all wrong. when a feature like powerleveling is added/allowed, it is human nature to forego all inferior methods of exp in favor of the fastest route to max level. unless you're one of the weirdos who actually try to enjoy the journey of the game, instead of rush to endgame where the race for gear begins. no one really wants to play mmorpgs, they just want to play Gearhunter.


Speak for yourself. I play MMO's for the enjoyment of them and to hang out with friends and have fun. Gear is a nice bonus, but it is not the end all be all of an MMORPG, nor should it be. Certainly there are those that play solely for that next epeen piece of gear, but saying that people who don't do that are the "weirdos" is grossly misinformed.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#16 Oct 10 2011 at 10:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
well, sometimes sarcasm doesn't come off well in text. and sometimes that's not the problem at all. i'll lay it out for you.

I AM ONE OF THE WEIRDOS.


make sense now?


to further clarify, and to attempt to be less of an *** (it's tough, i'm sure someone here can empathize), what i'm saying is this:

the PLing that is going on is tailor made for the exact people i'm not really interested in playing this game with. I enjoy the combat system in this game. Hence, i enjoy each fight, and each level i gain is a nifty reward (and of course i like getting new abilities and getting new gear, i'm not completely inhuman)

the idea of "playing" this game by afking and watching family guy or some crap almost breaks the magic circle of immersion for me. even knowing that this goes on honestly breaks the fourth wall for me a little. it bugs me.



Edited, Oct 11th 2011 12:56am by Llester

Edited, Oct 11th 2011 1:01am by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#17 Oct 10 2011 at 10:55 PM Rating: Default
I say its in deal with it, im still going to level normally no power leveling for me. Wonder why others are making a big deal about it. Is it a "i worked they should" thing or is it "they will get to (so so lvl) before me"? Either or sounds a bit uh...childish -_-''
#18 Oct 10 2011 at 11:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Rougespowerstone wrote:
I say its in deal with it, im still going to level normally no power leveling for me. Wonder why others are making a big deal about it. Is it a "i worked they should" thing or is it "they will get to (so so lvl) before me"? Either or sounds a bit uh...childish -_-''


think about it a little more deeply.


it has nothing to do with your childish assumptions.

it has to do with "hey guys sorry no one wants to exp, they're all PLing each other" (yes this has happened to me)

it has to do with the magic circle (look it up, it's game dev lingo for immersion basically) being completely broken by players who play the game by not playing the game. until endgame of course.
i'm not sitting around sulking about it, i still play the game how i want to, but it just bothers me that there is even an option to completely ignore everything except for endgame.

its even more absurd given the fact that there barely is an endgame in xiv yet.
____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#19 Oct 10 2011 at 11:33 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
I played ff11 from release up to shortly after abyssea came out. There was just simply no point in continuing, most people just seemed to get so lazy, and with there job performance it was obvious. I would play black mage in most parties, and I would have to dumb myself down to about 20% efficiency or i would be dead every 2 minutes. Hate management became a joke, nobody would voke and i'd spend alot of time healing because the designated healers are too busy grabbing pages or going afk. I hope this game isn't heading in the same direction. I've supported this game since day 1, and i used to be optimistic about where it was going, but now i'm getting that abbysea feeling again.

Is square after a new player base? Or are they just trying to get all the 11 players interested in moving over to 14. I liked the fact that this game wasn't 11-2, but it's slowly starting to feel familiar. I'm just hoping for a "new" experience, and possibly a challenging one. I loved level sync and feel they should have added that (if anything) from 11. The current system is whack, anyways that's just my personal opinion.
#20 Oct 10 2011 at 11:44 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
There's no endgame, all i did close to rank 50 was sneak by rank 90 dragons get knocked out watching the best fight in the game and see some brainwashed children.Till we get our spirit animal god and fight other gods this game has no endgame. Until we get more storyline this game is just a time sink.Even if you PL it only take you halfway and you wait like everyone else.Well the materia is the only thing i'm jealous of but i'll make a piece in a few weeks, probably.So PL is good, it keep people in game a little longer and preps them for higher levels when they come back.
____________________________




[ffxivsig]459049[/ffxivsig]
#21 Oct 10 2011 at 11:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
23 posts
Yoshi-P & his dev team just don't figure out what a great mechanics should a MMORPG have.
I never heard a game developer needs people to tell him HOW TO make a game.

I play games for fun,
I am not looking for another time sink(materia), PLing, and....more volume control options.LOL

Get rid of the eye candy, this game is a totally garbage

Save your breath
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1820479[/ffxivsig]
#22 Oct 10 2011 at 11:52 PM Rating: Default
****
4,169 posts
HonestMexican wrote:
I played ff11 from release up to shortly after abyssea came out. There was just simply no point in continuing, most people just seemed to get so lazy, and with there job performance it was obvious.


You stopped playing FFXI because other people were lazy? First time I've heard that one.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#23 Oct 11 2011 at 1:20 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
In Gysahl(the most populated FF14 server, almost all japanese/asians and oceanic) almost every good spawn camp was power leveled.

Perhaps more casual western players in besaid or something don't know, but here if you roam around the good 20-30+ spots where a 50 can aoe-1shot then you'll see a lot of linkshell groups PLing with a 50.
#24 Oct 11 2011 at 2:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
While the powerleveing craze is certainly out of control, there's another factor to consider. The cap will eventually be raised. It certainly won't be in 1.20, but who's to say it won't make it by 1.21 or 1.22? There's already evidence through the crafting recipes that they're working on 51-60 content. In addition, the new battle classes are coming, and even though the quests are L30, there's nothing to say that won't be just halfway at that point. I'd also wager any cap increase would see things such as Ishgard, new areas, and so forth to coincide. A cap increase also is something that the devs would keep closely guarded, since anyone who's played MMOs knows how wonky things get when players are anticipating one.

From what we know, all of the major overhauls to crafting, battle, UI and quest systems will be done by 1.21, at least what's been stated via Yoshi's notes. There has to be something besides map revamps forthcoming after that. Yes, this is all conjecture, and I'm rambling...but my point remains.

That being said, the current situation is very extreme, and I only hope that a change comes along in 1.19a to alleviate some of the damage caused. Not a nerf, just...an adjustment so that mid-level content actually means something again. How they do this without eliminating the PL system totally is up to them.

____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#25 Oct 11 2011 at 3:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
136 posts
You hit the nail right on the head OP.

My guess is this is Yoshi-P's first example of oversight, i think he's a capable director but I hope he uses this incident as an opportunity for him to learn that players will always take the path of least resistance.

Whole things really bothering me though, I've stopped playing ti'll i hear some feedback from the developers cause if they're going to be stubborn on this issue then so am I...
#26 Oct 11 2011 at 3:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Whole things really bothering me though, I've stopped playing ti'll i hear some feedback from the developers cause if they're going to be stubborn on this issue then so am I...

Interesting. I actually do the same. I won't quit this game because of the powerleveling issue, but for now it definitely has taken away my interest in playing.
#27 Oct 11 2011 at 4:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,692 posts
In other games this is how I saw it work.

Started off, would be friends PL each other. As the PL players capped out their jobs in a few weeks they wouldn't have a reason to help others as much and a light went off "I can make a lot of gil doing this".

So they shout making a PL party asking for an hourly gil amount from each person(or a person wanting a PL shouts to make one offering the PL the money from every person they rectruit- a fee :)), they make more gil doing this than anything else in the game and it spreads fast.

Power leveling becomes widespread and the people that used to take the initiative to make parties now instead make PL parties paying the high level player for their work. For everyone else that has no gil or doesn't want to do this there are far far less parties or groups of any kind because the inititiave players are all doing PL instead of making crappy xp groups.

It also ofc destroys the crafting market for leveling gear since you can AFK level in a bikini all the way to cap.

For an older game with a set playerbase it's not as big an issue, for a newer game doing this it will cause far more damage to it and the community than many other things you can do. Seeing how they are getting desperate now because all the things they are doing are bringing no players back anyway I can see why it's being done though.

It just won't work and do more damage than good, if this is a test and they plan to remove it they will already of done massive damage to the mentality of the playerbase and the XP rates will seem crap to the point they will have to change them again anyway. As in if they removed abyssea from FFXI now and expected people to go back to 3k an hour they would be delusional if they think it would just be accepted.

Edited, Oct 11th 2011 6:20am by Runespider
#28 Oct 11 2011 at 7:58 AM Rating: Good
48 posts
I honestly don't know of anyone who has PL'd to 50. I've been in a PL group for a couple of hours, and I used it to get other classes that I haven't touched yet up to 15. At that point, I formed regular leve parties with people in my shell, and started leveling regularly. There's a mentality that if you can PL, that you will PL all the way up. Most of the people I know don't do that at all. We all want to play the game, but sometimes there isn't anyone around your level, so you catch up with them to play with them. I don't know. I don't think it's a horrible thing. It gets me to group with the people in my shell, and makes it so that I can help out a greater amount of new people in my shell. *shrug* Just my 2 gil.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1822917[/ffxivsig]
#29 Oct 11 2011 at 9:12 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
My most active linkshell is a group of new people who started shortly before 1.19 came out. There are a couple of us who have a 50 job, and as far as I know, no one has even asked for a powerlevel in the linkshell. They have enjoyed getting together, going out to party, completing quests (I am going to escort someone tonight to halatali I think it was), and for the most part it's people helping each other out, and enjoying what this game has to offer in the 20s and 30s.

There is Toto-rak, there are NMs that we have fought, there are quests, I have farmed ingredients for people (translation, there are lowbie crafters), . All and all, it's a classic sort of shell, where people are helping each other out, are on, and are enjoying what they are doing. These people actually do exist, and have found things that are enjoyable, and can keep them busy.

There are those who want to get to the highest level (the same people that grouped together when the game first released) and charge there at all cost. Then there are the people who stop and smell the roses. While there are not many roses in Final Fantasy 14, there are some...
#30 Oct 11 2011 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
**
941 posts
Something people are not considering is that...

Quote:
Hello, this is Yoshida, the Producer/Director.

I appreciate all the comments from your heated discussion.
I will post my objectives regarding power leveling and the removal of the claim system.

I want to make it clear now that I believe there is no way to settle this argument in a way that everybody will be 100% satisfied with.
Also, this is going to be a very long post, so it may be a difficult read.
(I decided that I would divide up the post, rather than rush through each topic. I hope you read my entire post.)

This is an extreme example, but even for non-online, stand alone games, there are players who enjoy completing the game even if they use cheats to obtain all items or max out their levels. However, other players feel that this is a waste of time and that it defeats the purpose of buying the game. As such, this is a difficult issue to address.

In MMOs, there are players who would like help with leveling, because they want to play with other players as soon as possible. There are also players who would like to help new players level up, so that they can play with them. These players don’t want strong restrictions on power leveling, nor to be confined to parties with major level differences.

In contrast, there are players who believe that, “Players grow together with their characters,” “If other players are power leveling, leveling up becomes meaningless,” “Power leveling will become a necessary part of the game,” and “Power leveling will disrupt areas for proper party play.”

Even without considering RMT and people who level up other players’ characters for profit, this issue is the cause of a lot of friction. For online games, RMT and people who level up other players’ characters for profit will both certainly exist, so they must be considered. This is a good point of discussion, but opinions will vary based on perspective, so it is difficult to reach a definite conclusion.

Thus, I will post the development of how we reached the new specs.

Why the claiming system will be removed
We decided to remove the claiming system from FFXIV because we decided that claiming would become a troublesome spec in the future development of the game. When considering large scale PvE content involving multiple parties and PvP between large numbers of players, the spec that claiming occurs on a 1:1 basis becomes a nuisance. Also, instances will become more prevalent in future content. The concept of having to claim opponents to prevent being disturbed by other players becomes less and less relevant, so we decided that claiming is unnecessary.

Securing reward rights
Up next is the decision on the right to obtain rewards.
This regards who has the right to obtain experience points, dropped items, and quest completion flags when multiple parties (including solo players) attack the same monster.

In first generation MMOs the party that dealt the most damage to the monster was given the rights to the rewards. In the worst case, fighting over rewards was possible. The claiming system in FFXI was implemented to avoid this issue. I decided that it would be best for the player or party that attacked the monster first to obtain rights to the rewards. This makes it so that “the early bird gets the worm,” which I think is the simplest solution. Future content will be heavily instanced, so we think that NMs in public fields will be the most affected by these changes. Rather than allowing players to fight over rewards, I think it is better to feature some kind of gameplay system to make third party involvement in a NM battle impossible. As such, I decided to implement a “first attack” system for rewards rights.

Revision of distribution of rewards
Up next is experience points, the center of our debate.
If we simplify the specs, power leveling will certainly become easier.

I will provide an example involving soloing that is easy to understand. (Power leveling a party involving multiple levels is complicated) Suppose you attack a level 50 monster with your level 1 character. If a level 50 character nearby kills the level 50 monster, the skill points will be given to the level 1 character.

However, the gap between your level 1 character and the level 50 monster is too large, so the “defeating a higher rank monster bonus” will be significantly reduced. The experience points earned by the level 1 character will be adjusted quite drastically.

Suppose you attack a level 3 monster with your level 1 character and a level 50 character nearby kills the level 3 monster. The level 3 monster is appropriate for a level 1 character, so there will be no major drastic loss in experience points.

These are the basics. I will move on to determining whether or not a player is power leveling.

Determining power leveling
The standard for battle length from here on out will be 30-40 seconds to defeat a monster of the same level while soloing. It would take about 4-5 seconds for a level 50 character to defeat a level 3 monster next to a level 1 character. The level 1 character can obtain the full amount of experience points just by standing there. However, the level 50 player involved is spending their time leveling up the other player instead of playing other content.

At this point, it depends how the level 1 character feels about being "helped" by the level 50 character.

Forcing out power leveling
It is not easy to distinguish whether the above actions are an act of good will or serve the purpose of RMT or leveling up other characters for money.

By investigating logs, it is possible to identify for-profit violators and mete out punishment, but it would be very difficult to completely put an end to these actions. Doing so would require implementing very complicated specs, which will place a strain on ordinary users.

Distribute experience points based on the amount of damage done to the monster
Distribute experience points based on hate

The above methods were used by first generation MMOs to reduce power leveling, but these methods have their own problems. Players can aggressively fight each other over experience points, classes that do not do much damage are at a disadvantage, and for-profit violators can create bots that randomly attack monsters and steal EXP. (As I said earlier, we will punish for-profit violators. However, we do not want to ban ordinary players, so it will take us time to properly identify for-profit violators.)

One thing we would like to avoid all costs is EXP stealing by bots.

Conclusion
Taking everything into consideration, we understand that there will be pros and cons no matter what, but ultimately, we have decided that as a current generation MMORPG we would like to do something about,

"new players who would like some help, because they want to play with their friends as soon as possible, as well as players who are willing to sacrifice their own time to help out new players get involved in the game quicker."

We plan on implementing end-game content that is extremely difficult, so if assistance is necessary to reach this point I believe that it should be OK for players to help each other out, as long as there are players who are willing to help out.

Differences in gained experience points based on the difference between the player’s level and the defeated monster’s level will still exist, and will be adjusted. Our goal is to prevent any kind of extreme behavior. If any loopholes are found, we would like to fix these issues as they are discovered.

I believe that whether a player is playing seriously or not is a separate issue from whether the player is receiving assistance or not.

Personally, I am the type who believes that it is more fun to work hard and experience as much as you can first hand up until at least level 40, but if somebody comes asking for help saying, "I tried my best up until level 30, but I don’t have any more time!" I will help out.

Of course you would want your friends to enjoy an MMO that you enjoy playing, and if somebody is stuck in a situation where their enjoyment is hitting a wall, you would want to help out. Ultimately, it would be best for everybody to get along and play together.


Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/22196-dev1026-Changes-to-Claiming-and-Engaging-Enemies?p=317185&viewfull=1#post317185

There was a thread on the very forums detailing what everyone is raging about.

It's VERY CLEAR that the XP is not capped or "reduced drastically" – people need to stop freaking out. Let them get their data and then implement a fix. A JP rep has already been translated as stating it’s a “bug” – so it’s apparent the cap isn’t working and the RATE of XP obtained isn’t intended.

Regardless of how everyone feels – the Director is detailing what EVERYONE is talking about and whining about (game balance, feelings about breaking the game, etc) – but he makes it very clear it should not be absurd.

Everything will be okay guys – take a breather and find something else to picket about now.
#31 Oct 11 2011 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
The only thing to consider:

The best thing a company can do is listen to it's customers.
The worst thing a company can do is listen to it's customers.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#32 Oct 11 2011 at 11:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Powerleveling is nice, but it will lead to a lot of noobs with level 50 classes.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 50 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (50)