Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Love the new style, but do you guys rememberFollow

#1 Oct 20 2011 at 4:21 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
103 posts
what your imagination evoked when we all first saw this?
http://alafista.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/images/june09/072.jpg

I really want them to capture this dynamic feeling of community although guildleves aren't the basis of the game anymore.

#2 Oct 20 2011 at 4:42 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
I get a "not found" message when pressing the link, not sure if it is just me though.

EDIT: Thanks a lot Uchitoro. Yeah I liked those pics too. I dunno though I don't think it is an impossibility to get that feeling as the game evolves.

Edited, Oct 20th 2011 7:16am by Belcrono
#3 Oct 20 2011 at 5:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,998 posts
Belcrono wrote:
I get a "not found" message when pressing the link, not sure if it is just me though.

Looks like they don't allow people to link directly to the image, so here is the page for it.

I kind of imagined a ton of people all hanging around the Guildleve counter, forming parties and asking for others to join up. Joking, doing stupid emotes and stuff.
Thinking back, it was a stupidly naive vision. People aren't like that. And this never happened.

I guess I wanted to see a world that didn't just stay in /ls, some real community that doesn't always involve people you know well. Back then I really expected the game to be so totally different from the current(Pre-Abyssea) XI, but that didn't happen at all. Well whatever though, I do still like that picture.
There was another one kind of like this one that had a horned girl off to the side. So many people were positive Gria's were going to be some hidden race in the game after that.
Of course no one knew about the Padjal or whatever at that time. I miss the days of endless speculation.
____________________________
This used to be pretty fun.
#4 Oct 20 2011 at 9:27 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
It's pretty easy to evoke disappointment about FFXIV: just show any form of FFXIV-related media that existed before the game was released.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#5 Oct 20 2011 at 9:41 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
The community aspect is certainly improving at least. I just logged on less than a minute ago and literally within 5 seconds was greeted with 3 separate shouts for leveling groups. It's certainly not at the point it SHOULD be yet, but once they implement a better party search function things will improve. 1.19 at least got people thinking more about parties and willing to just join up with random people whereas before the patch, everyone just seemed to play like soulless robots. A step in the right direction at least.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#6 Oct 20 2011 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Yea, my LS has been recently relaying shouts for leveling groups through LS chat and the frequency is astounding. Last night was one of my first full group experiences and while grouping is still rather unorganized in action, I was able to quickly go from level 29 to 31 in just over an hour.

So I think we're definitely on the right path. Once effective camps become more mainstream and there's better search functions in place...I think things are definitely going to be looking up.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#7 Oct 20 2011 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
Yea, my LS has been recently relaying shouts for leveling groups through LS chat and the frequency is astounding. Last night was one of my first full group experiences and while grouping is still rather unorganized in action, I was able to quickly go from level 29 to 31 in just over an hour.

So I think we're definitely on the right path. Once effective camps become more mainstream and there's better search functions in place...I think things are definitely going to be looking up.


I had the same experience a week or so ago, my first full party and it was rather fun. Exp was quick, it was cool to interact with people more. I also agree that the grouping/fighting was rather all over the place though. It didn't feel tactical or... much of anything except messy and fast exp. I hope they improve party dynamics a lot and also, mob respawn rates/links are a bit off if you ask me. Overall though it was fun to do something different from before.
#8 Oct 20 2011 at 10:27 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
So I think we're definitely on the right path. Once effective camps become more mainstream and there's better search functions in place...I think things are definitely going to be looking up.


Well that's exciting news!
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#9 Oct 20 2011 at 11:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
I posted this in the feedback forum. It's not meant to be a means of LFG or anything, it's just to promote a bit more communication and make the game seem less of a ghost town.



Threx wrote:


In some other MMOs, there are public chat channels that people can talk in, no matter where they are on the server.

For example:

"Level 50" - You will automatically join this channel once you hit level 50. This channel is for level 50s. No matter where you are on the server, all level 50s can speak to each other. (This would be the most chatty out of all the channels.)

"Crafting" - This channel is for people who craft. You can manually join this channel and speak to other crafters on the server.


I realize that FF already has it's different chats, like /say /shout /guild, etc. However, those channels are very limited. The result of having limited chat is the game seeming like a ghost town, as many people in the past have complained.

I also realize that FFXIV is its own game and doesn't want to be like other MMOs, but having server-wide chats can make the game more...well...alive.


____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#10 Oct 20 2011 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
103 posts
thanks uchitoru:)

Yeah the speculation and anticipation. I thought that too(about the aetheryte) people would be gathered around, telling stupid jokes. Well hopefully, since this game is drawing a lot of attention from the 2.0 we will return to that feeling.
#11 Oct 22 2011 at 3:44 AM Rating: Good
Uchitoru wrote:

I kind of imagined a ton of people all hanging around the Guildleve counter, forming parties and asking for others to join up. Joking, doing stupid emotes and stuff.
Thinking back, it was a stupidly naive vision. People aren't like that. And this never happened.

I'm not saying that the game doesn't still need improvement. But, actually, you've described exactly what I generally see in the game. Maybe I've just been lucky in what I've experienced, but one of the things that brought me back to this game was the natural sense of community that the player base seems to have. In fact, the only way to make parties right now is to stand around near the guildleve counter and shout. Thankfully, people are mostly doing this in an orderly manner. (And after playing a game with world-wide general chat channels, shouts no longer both me at all.) And, since so many people found that almost no one was in their LS any more, interacting with strangers was about the only option we've had. I see random emotes going on all the time between people not in the same LS, and sometimes directed at me.

While there are certainly bad things that have been needing to be fixed about this game, one thing I hope never changes is the slightly more laid-back attitude of the community that is interested in the adventure side of an MMORPG. I think something valuable is lost when an MMO becomes so results-oriented that there's no time to just stop and check out something new and interesting or help out someone who's not even in your LS. That's how I've completely lost interest in other games.

Threx wrote:
In some other MMOs, there are public chat channels that people can talk in, no matter where they are on the server.
In my opinion, this is a bad idea. It's something I grew to hate in Rift. I had to pay attention to those chat channels because it's what people relied on to make groups for anything, but they were largely filled with stupid chat about 10 different subjects and things like "WoW vs. Rift" flamewars. Sifting through the junk to find anything useful was painful. I'd love to believe that's not how public chat channels would turn out in FFXIV, but people are people.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2011 5:49am by LuthienOfSeraph
____________________________
FFXIV: Luthien Tinuviel, Elezen Female, Balmug (And will re-roll on a new server in August)
FFXI: Luthian, Elvaan Female, Bismarck (originally Luthien on Seraph):
85RDM | 80WAR | 76DRG
lolgaxe+1 wrote:
I've always been of the opinion that Warrior was the Swiss Army Knife of Vana'diel.
#12 Oct 22 2011 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
103 posts
LuthienOfSeraph wrote:
Uchitoru wrote:

I kind of imagined a ton of people all hanging around the Guildleve counter, forming parties and asking for others to join up. Joking, doing stupid emotes and stuff.
Thinking back, it was a stupidly naive vision. People aren't like that. And this never happened.

I'm not saying that the game doesn't still need improvement. But, actually, you've described exactly what I generally see in the game. Maybe I've just been lucky in what I've experienced, but one of the things that brought me back to this game was the natural sense of community that the player base seems to have. In fact, the only way to make parties right now is to stand around near the guildleve counter and shout. Thankfully, people are mostly doing this in an orderly manner. (And after playing a game with world-wide general chat channels, shouts no longer both me at all.) And, since so many people found that almost no one was in their LS any more, interacting with strangers was about the only option we've had. I see random emotes going on all the time between people not in the same LS, and sometimes directed at me.

While there are certainly bad things that have been needing to be fixed about this game, one thing I hope never changes is the slightly more laid-back attitude of the community that is interested in the adventure side of an MMORPG. I think something valuable is lost when an MMO becomes so results-oriented that there's no time to just stop and check out something new and interesting or help out someone who's not even in your LS. That's how I've completely lost interest in other games.

Threx wrote:
In some other MMOs, there are public chat channels that people can talk in, no matter where they are on the server.
In my opinion, this is a bad idea. It's something I grew to hate in Rift. I had to pay attention to those chat channels because it's what people relied on to make groups for anything, but they were largely filled with stupid chat about 10 different subjects and things like "WoW vs. Rift" flamewars. Sifting through the junk to find anything useful was painful. I'd love to believe that's not how public chat channels would turn out in FFXIV, but people are people.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2011 5:49am by LuthienOfSeraph



You know i'm with you on that. I don't think they should add more public channels people barely use the ones they have haha.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)