Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Materia System: good or bad for the game in the long run?Follow

#52 Nov 04 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Good
*
178 posts
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
Professor Dyrwydi wrote:
Take into consideration what StateAlchemist said in the Yoshi-P Gives More Answers thread:

StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
He said that gear with multiple materia attachments will probably be better. And socketing two materia is no small task. I personally have gotten lucky before...but then again I also ran into a bad streak getting two MP materia (mind you these were only Teir IIs too...) on a Felt Robe (Green). I failed 6 times before successfully getting the second materia on it. Not everyone is willing to do this, so for those that can't afford to keep buying gear and materia and failing, then yes, the upcoming JSE will be a welcome sight.


Also, consider that JSE at level 50 would not be "best-in-slot" for long once the cap is raised to 60, 65, 75, 99 - Optimizing your character is a constantly changing task.

Edited, Nov 4th 2011 2:05pm by Dyrwydi

And to those who spend millions socketing multiple materia...incoming lolz when 60+gear is realeased with base stats better then your gear...xD
Only reason I am toying with it atm is cause its fun exploding gear.

Edited, Nov 4th 2011 2:15pm by StateAlchemist


exploding gear is fun XD and highly addicting >.>
#53 Nov 05 2011 at 4:14 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
But you aren't really directly competing with other humans in this game.


Yes, you are. Whatever it may "feel" like is of no relevance. You are still competing against others with the same resources available to you. Having time as a resource is certainly helpful, but just like with challenging encounters it does not guarantee that you will win the competition.

Quote:
No, I'm not over-simplifying anything.


Now, that's funny, as earlier you were touting that by pressing enter anyone can get rich, and now finally you are going back and humbly admitting that it's not that simple, as research and using the resources available to the best of your ability is what matters, not how fast you can press Enter.

Quote:
BTW, do you even play the game?


Of course, now that the economy is finally recovering from complete stagnancy.

Quote:
Well, you need people who can fight to do that.


Duh? As I previously mentioned, with my concrete example of lowmanning Gods, fighting can be a means of acquiring more wealth. It doesn't even have to involve HNM's as you once again tried to oversimplify the concept. You see, if I said "run a HNM LS" that would be inaccurate which is why I did not say it. You can, for example, lowman Gods and other NM's that provide items that, for a large group are not worth much effort but when you can lowman them the value increases significantly. You can also, for example, look for other events such as ENM's and realize that while it is not worth your while to do some of them with the recommended number of people, if you could somehow reduce that number it would allow you to significantly increase the value of the event in question. Say, Toreador's Ring ENM in Promy-Vahzl that you could solo and that way obtain rings and sell them.

Beating HNM's is such an ancient concept too. You can, and people certainly did, offer their linkshell's services to obtain gear that was previously unobtainable with money as they could not be traded. Many linkshells did this sort of thing when it came to, say, acquiring limbus gear. Ah yes, do you know how valuable it is to go lowman an apollyon to get ABC's to sell and divide the gil between 1-3 people? Homam set was sold for million a piece, and demand was there. Effort/reward ratio is pretty good I'd say, at least when compared to going to Sauromugue and killing tabar beaks for hours. Dynamis and Salvage were also pretty, pretty nice when it came to things like this.

That said, everything can be used to acquire more wealth when you have the skills to do so. Simplifying the process to fighting HNM's is why it's getting little boring to continue this argument, as you clearly don't have the skill it takes to see the opportunities that other people make good use of, and as such, get ahead.

Quote:
You just said it yourself: I can look it up to find out but then I could be wasting my time.


It doesn't take long to figure out which item is worth your while and which isn't. General idea can be figured out in no time, assuming you have the skills it takes, which you clearly do not.

Quote:
How are you going to determine the optimal selling price?


How did the skilled people determine what a r/ex's value is worth? Regardless of what you think, these people succeeded and will succeed here while you keep failing. I can see why you would undermine the skill it takes to do all this and succeed, as you are oblivious to all the opportunities and, quite frankly, suck at making money as demonstrated here. It is quite sad, though, how you try to make it seem like just because you are incompetent and can't see the plethora of opportunities they somehow don't exist. Is it so hard to admit that you just don't have what it takes?
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#54 Nov 05 2011 at 9:55 AM Rating: Decent
Hyanmen wrote:
Snipped to save space - because that was a LONG post...


Did you post this in the wrong thread / forum?
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
#55 Nov 05 2011 at 3:56 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
And to those who spend millions socketing multiple materia...incoming lolz when 60+gear is realeased with base stats better then your gear...xD
Only reason I am toying with it atm is cause its fun exploding gear.

I don't get what's so funny about upgrading one's equipment as the level cap increases.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#56 Nov 05 2011 at 4:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Almalexia wrote:
StateAlchemist of Amestris wrote:
And to those who spend millions socketing multiple materia...incoming lolz when 60+gear is realeased with base stats better then your gear...xD
Only reason I am toying with it atm is cause its fun exploding gear.

I don't get what's so funny about upgrading one's equipment as the level cap increases.

Komenasai...please see below.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#57 Nov 05 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
I don't think augmenting gear now is reckless or foolish. Materia isn't just novelty; it's utility. If gear with superior base stats comes around when the level cap is raised, I imagine we'll augment that too.

What do you do with your gil? Throw it into a fountain and make a wish? Because materia craft is basically the same thing.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#58 Nov 05 2011 at 4:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Well think if they decided to add say...enfeebling magic materia, or... tp gain... the millions and millions you spent getting that 4 socketed piece that just got replaced and made worthless is now lost. I think that melding should just kinda be done in moderation...I have mostly 1 materia on my gear with the occasional 2 if I managed to get some materia from an extra piece of gear, or by trading materia. THe people I lol at are the ones sitting in uldah breaking 15 pieces of gear and losing 30 pieces of materia in a row tryign to double socket (and I know that it all adds up to a crazy amount of gil).

They could decide to modify the success rate slightly or made add somethign that may situationally make it easier...I don't know. It just seems to me that going overboard on something just released is a bit crazy when they could change things so much shortly afterwards. Waiting to see if things will change or if some new information obtained by other players could potentially save you a huge amount of gil would be a smarter move, would it not?
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#59 Nov 05 2011 at 9:34 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Suppose you did 25 runs of Darkhold to get a Canopus Bill. For the sake of argument, you spent 25 full hours to earn that 1 weapon.

Along comes Ifrit. Oh, your axe is outclassed. Time to do the new endgame event 25 times for the better weapon!

Now suppose you spent 25 hours deliberately making gil. How are you to spend it? Materia seems like a good idea. So you invest your earnings in base items and materia to create the Perfect Pair of Fingerless Raptorskin Gloves (White)™. After much blood, sweat and gil, you finally do.

Along comes 1.20/1.21/2.0. Oh, your base gloves are now outclassed and new materia have been added! Time to earn more gil and craft superior gloves!

If we worried that our precious gear might become outclassed next patch, we would never do anything at all.

I guess it all comes down to how you value your gil and time in-game. I would prefer doing the best I can with the resources available.

Quote:
Well think if they decided to add say...enfeebling magic materia, or... tp gain... the millions and millions you spent getting that 4 socketed piece that just got replaced and made worthless is now lost.

I disagree with this in particular.

If you are able to meld even 2x materia to one item, you have assumed a risk many people are not willing to take. That already has great market value, to say nothing of 4x materia. A new pair of gloves with base +6 STR would not undermine the value of your base +3 STR gloves with 60STR augmentation. You could make a handsome sum selling them post-patch, probably even more than you spent due to the enormous risk that went into their production--assuming you'd be crazy enough to sell them in the first place!

To reiterate: the value of melding materia is not just the bonus granted, but the risk involved. Big risk equals big dough, and it would take a great many patches to sabotage that.



Edited, Nov 5th 2011 11:36pm by Almalexia
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#60 Nov 06 2011 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
513 posts
Hyanmen wrote:

Yes, you are. Whatever it may "feel" like is of no relevance. You are still competing against others with the same resources available to you. Having time as a resource is certainly helpful, but just like with challenging encounters it does not guarantee that you will win the competition.

Do you consider yourself to be in constant competition with every other human being on the planet, too? If so, you are beyond my help.

Quote:

Now, that's funny, as earlier you were touting that by pressing enter anyone can get rich, and now finally you are going back and humbly admitting that it's not that simple, as research and using the resources available to the best of your ability is what matters, not how fast you can press Enter.

No, I can still turn cobalt ore into cobalt ingots by spamming enter and I get value every time. I can leave the game on and go AFK while it makes money for me.

Quote:

Duh? As I previously mentioned... lots of FFXI talk

My point has all along been that it's harder to do what you're proposing than figure out it can be done. Besides, why do you post a wall-o-text about FFXI? FFXIV has completely different dynamics. None of the things you listed even have a FFXIV equivalent. Nobody is going to pay you money for taking you through Ifrit.

Quote:

It doesn't take long to figure out which item is worth your while and which isn't. General idea can be figured out in no time, assuming you have the skills it takes, which you clearly do not.

Jesus Christ! What skills? Looking up recipe trees? Is that considered a skill now?

Quote:

How did the skilled people determine what a r/ex's value is worth? Regardless of what you think, these people succeeded and will succeed here while you keep failing. I can see why you would undermine the skill it takes to do all this and succeed, as you are oblivious to all the opportunities and, quite frankly, suck at making money as demonstrated here. It is quite sad, though, how you try to make it seem like just because you are incompetent and can't see the plethora of opportunities they somehow don't exist. Is it so hard to admit that you just don't have what it takes?

I keep failing? I have yet to fail. I'm not broke and my wealth increases every day. I assume you, however, must be absolutely submerged in gil since you obviously have all the amazing gil making skills, such as looking up a recipe online, covered.


Edited, Nov 6th 2011 4:54pm by Omena
____________________________
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)