Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Auction House and Player Search coming in 1.20 ...Follow

#1 Nov 03 2011 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
221 posts
Finally!....
____________________________

#2 Nov 03 2011 at 11:12 AM Rating: Excellent
: )

Edited, Nov 3rd 2011 1:14pm by StateAlchemist
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#3 Nov 03 2011 at 11:12 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Along with monthly fees!
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#4 Nov 03 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
zpanda wrote:
Finally!....



"Finally" is the understatement of the century!

I bet this sort of debacle never happens in an MMO again.

A game with no AH... what were they thinking lOL? Remember when we had to check EVERY single retainer for the item you wanted? The incompetence of the original game producers is pretty astounding if you look back on it. I'm so glad we have this new team in there!
#5 Nov 03 2011 at 12:11 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
je355804 wrote:
zpanda wrote:
Finally!....



"Finally" is the understatement of the century!

I bet this sort of debacle never happens in an MMO again.

A game with no AH... what were they thinking lOL? Remember when we had to check EVERY single retainer for the item you wanted? The incompetence of the original game producers is pretty astounding if you look back on it. I'm so glad we have this new team in there!


Honestly, it seems like most of the decisions were done due to time constraints and shortcuts. Guildleves were put in because they didn't have quest-givers; anima was done because they didn't have travel options; the wards were done because they didn't have an auction house; zones were copied and pasted; disciples of land and hand were implemented with almost no distinguishing features whatsoever; and so forth.

I think that the old team was making lots of stuff (keep in mind that most of the things implemented thus far - from coeurls to ifrit - have actually been in the .dats since release), but they were just faced with poor planning and had to release with as much "working" as possible.

In short, the old team was incompetent, perhaps, but I think it was more from their failure to create an adequate timeline before release than from doing no work and wilfully implementing terrible systems.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#6 Nov 03 2011 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
159 posts
Amen to that.

____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?63993
Ragnarok
Soratachi
#7 Nov 03 2011 at 1:40 PM Rating: Decent
While I agree that the original Marketplace system was horrible, I find it hard to locate a difference between the current system and an AH, other than the fact that you actually have to run to the NPC holding the goods - You can search for the item you want, locate the name of the the seller, price and quantity, what more do you want? I'm far more excited about the coming delivery system and player search features than the Auction House.
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
#8 Nov 03 2011 at 1:50 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,962 posts
Professor Dyrwydi wrote:
While I agree that the original Marketplace system was horrible, I find it hard to locate a difference between the current system and an AH, other than the fact that you actually have to run to the NPC holding the goods - You can search for the item you want, locate the name of the the seller, price and quantity, what more do you want? I'm far more excited about the coming delivery system and player search features than the Auction House.


Not having to load into a new area and locate the NPC is a much bigger deal than you would think. It certainly depends on how much you use the wards though. As a crafter, I constantly buy and sell junk, I probably lose hours every few weeks to the time it takes to load, run, open bazaar, buy, run back to item counter, search for next item, etc.

Price history is the other feature the wards are missing that many miss from the auction house. If no one's currently selling an item, or if there's only a few on for some ridiculous prices, knowing what to list the item for yourself can be difficult.
#9 Nov 03 2011 at 1:57 PM Rating: Default
RamseySylph wrote:
Not having to load into a new area and locate the NPC is a much bigger deal than you would think. It certainly depends on how much you use the wards though. As a crafter, I constantly buy and sell junk, I probably lose hours every few weeks to the time it takes to load, run, open bazaar, buy, run back to item counter, search for next item, etc.

Price history is the other feature the wards are missing that many miss from the auction house. If no one's currently selling an item, or if there's only a few on for some ridiculous prices, knowing what to list the item for yourself can be difficult.


As a leve grinding Alc I have not found myself doing this much. I can understand your frustration then and more clearly see the benefits of a one-stop-shop. Of course this then begs the question, what becomes of our mules? Do their item sales get taxed at a lower percentage than the AH? Do they go away thereby killing our "offline storage?" An interesting conundrum.
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
#10 Nov 03 2011 at 2:47 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
I don't see them killing retainers, as far as I'm aware what's coming in 1.2 isn't a true AH anyways, it's just the ability to view sales history and buy items straight from the item search counter, that are still stored on our retainers and sold in the wards?

Retainers should take on other roles, originally they were supposed to level up and be involved in a lot more things, particularly for crafters. I'd like to see them continue down that path.
#11 Nov 03 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Default
Using retainers for more than just storage and bazaars would be nice. Though I had long ago given up on those hopes, the implementation of the AH would free them up to perform other functions. I like this line of thought.
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
#12 Nov 03 2011 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
I am curious, is it possible to sort in the market wards? Because when I've been searching items I haven't found a way to sort the items I am looking for forcing me to actually look through the whole item list because the level of the item I am looking for might be anywhere. This might just be because I'm stupid, but if it isn't a feature that is present already I really hope this is something they implement in 1.20.
#13 Nov 03 2011 at 4:17 PM Rating: Default
Belcrono wrote:
I am curious, is it possible to sort in the market wards? Because when I've been searching items I haven't found a way to sort the items I am looking for forcing me to actually look through the whole item list because the level of the item I am looking for might be anywhere. This might just be because I'm stupid, but if it isn't a feature that is present already I really hope this is something they implement in 1.20.


I have not been able to find a way, generally I search on the ZAM Database to locate what I want, and then use that information to locate it within the Item Search feature. The only part that is confusing / frustrating seems to be the Tailoring wards (Lower, Middle and Upper) which carry items based on their suggest / required level: Lower = 1-20ish Middle = 21-35ish Upper = 36-50. Going on memory for these levels, as I do not have the game launched at this moment.
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
#14 Nov 04 2011 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
Can't wait to see the new system. Part of me is hoping that it is somehow even more useful (perhaps faster or better organized) than FFXI's AH. Is that just too much to ask?
#15 Nov 04 2011 at 1:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Can't wait to see the new system. Part of me is hoping that it is somehow even more useful (perhaps faster or better organized) than FFXI's AH. Is that just too much to ask?


Considering that FFXI's AH was neither an Auction House nor particularly good, no I don't think it's much to ask.
#16 Nov 04 2011 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
49 posts
I would like ffxi's AH. The current system is filled with undercutters, there's far to much being produced than there is being consumed, causing massive overages and dirt cheap prices on everything. A full set of the best high level tanking gear for under 500k? Everyone will be running around in identical red plate. Having good, better, best at 3 prices make not everyone able to afford every tier. Blind auctions are great, you can see the price of the last 10 and take your chances. As of now one guy has it for 100k, next guy for 95k, next for 90k, etc, and 5 people will add theirs for sale before one person is ready to buy one.
#17 Nov 04 2011 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
**
266 posts
^ that is very true... All I'm hoping is for a system similar to ffxi so it can be tracked on ffxivpro because I love being able to check that vs. going to the wards.

Edited, Nov 4th 2011 5:36pm by XenoKrates
#18 Nov 04 2011 at 3:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
XenoKrates wrote:
^ that is very true... All I'm hoping is for a system similar to ffxi so it can be tracked on ffxivpro because I love being able to check that vs. going to the wards.

Edited, Nov 4th 2011 5:36pm by XenoKrates


I don't.

I'd like an actual auction house and not a blind-bidding guessing war minigame everytime I wish to buy something. PS2 limitations aside, not seeing what other players are listing their auctions at was a moronic decision back then and it's downright retarded now if they put in the same system. Sorry, but I'd rather they put in a *REAL* auction house in this game instead of the travesty that existed in FFXI. If that occurs, there won't be a need for going to a website to begin with.

The less I have to leave the game and go to a website so that I can "play" the game, the better.
#19 Nov 04 2011 at 4:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
pochy wrote:
I would like ffxi's AH. The current system is filled with undercutters, there's far to much being produced than there is being consumed, causing massive overages and dirt cheap prices on everything. A full set of the best high level tanking gear for under 500k? Everyone will be running around in identical red plate. Having good, better, best at 3 prices make not everyone able to afford every tier. Blind auctions are great, you can see the price of the last 10 and take your chances. As of now one guy has it for 100k, next guy for 95k, next for 90k, etc, and 5 people will add theirs for sale before one person is ready to buy one.

The undercutting going on right now will happen regardless. The current prices are a function of the cost of the materials and the difficulty to produce the item in question. I don't know about your server, but on mine, that set of gear you listed is selling for about that amount and it's still bringing in a 50-150% profit margin per sale. People selling it for any more are just plain ripping of their buyers.
#20 Nov 04 2011 at 4:25 PM Rating: Good
***
3,962 posts
FFXI's blind-bidding system absolutely combats undercutting.

Does it totally stop it? No. But it certainly reduces the probability of people constantly listing their item for 1% less gil than the last person to put up the item. And even if they do, the chances of the buyer not being too lazy to try that 1% lower is pretty high.

I much prefer this system for a market. Admittedly, I'd prefer they not call it an auction house, and actually implement an auction house system, but have that be something entirely different, akin to the auction in FFVI or FFIX.
#21 Nov 04 2011 at 4:33 PM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
Viertel wrote:
XenoKrates wrote:
^ that is very true... All I'm hoping is for a system similar to ffxi so it can be tracked on ffxivpro because I love being able to check that vs. going to the wards.

Edited, Nov 4th 2011 5:36pm by XenoKrates


I don't.

I'd like an actual auction house and not a blind-bidding guessing war minigame everytime I wish to buy something. PS2 limitations aside, not seeing what other players are listing their auctions at was a moronic decision back then and it's downright retarded now if they put in the same system. Sorry, but I'd rather they put in a *REAL* auction house in this game instead of the travesty that existed in FFXI. If that occurs, there won't be a need for going to a website to begin with.

The less I have to leave the game and go to a website so that I can "play" the game, the better.

Minus the blind bidding.
#22 Nov 04 2011 at 9:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Professor Dyrwydi wrote:
While I agree that the original Marketplace system was horrible, I find it hard to locate a difference between the current system and an AH, other than the fact that you actually have to run to the NPC holding the goods - You can search for the item you want, locate the name of the the seller, price and quantity, what more do you want? I'm far more excited about the coming delivery system and player search features than the Auction House.



For starters... WHY do we have to run to the location to buy the good. I'd understand if they implemented this in a nice fashion, but the bottom line is is that it's hundreds of robots standing around on top of each other and it just looks ridiculously stupid. A major waste of time.

Secondly, we need to be able to see market prices and how often items are selling etc. I'm so sick of trying to guess which fish people will buy and which they won't.
#23 Nov 04 2011 at 9:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
pochy wrote:
I would like ffxi's AH. The current system is filled with undercutters, there's far to much being produced than there is being consumed, causing massive overages and dirt cheap prices on everything. A full set of the best high level tanking gear for under 500k? Everyone will be running around in identical red plate. Having good, better, best at 3 prices make not everyone able to afford every tier. Blind auctions are great, you can see the price of the last 10 and take your chances. As of now one guy has it for 100k, next guy for 95k, next for 90k, etc, and 5 people will add theirs for sale before one person is ready to buy one.



That's because they've WoWified the crap out of the game and have made everything so easy to achieve (for the most part, not true for everything.) Also because of what you said... there's no blind auction going on.
#24 Nov 11 2011 at 5:39 PM Rating: Excellent
**
633 posts
zpanda wrote:
Player Search coming

The primary reason I stopped playing was too much trouble to adventure with friends. I haven't been around these forums much lately but I'm sure others quit for that reason. You would think having a social framework to an MMO would be an obvious necessity.
____________________________
#25 Nov 12 2011 at 10:58 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
I just hope that the AH history is comprehensive and permanent. I want more than just the last 10 sales to show up. How about daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly trends/graphs with the specific data points you can mouse over to see?
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#26 Nov 12 2011 at 8:27 PM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Does anyone have a direct link to this auction house announcement? Or is this the vague reference from the original re-work plan?
#27 Nov 12 2011 at 8:54 PM Rating: Good
Babyseallover wrote:
Does anyone have a direct link to this auction house announcement? Or is this the vague reference from the original re-work plan?


See below:
Yoshi-P wrote:
At long last FF-like content, such as chocobos and airships, are in the game as I really feel mounts are a necessary element for MMOs, and the Ifrit battles were introduced, so I feel the game is getting closer to the where we want it to be. But, despite these things, FFXIV is still missing a player search feature and the ability to search for items at the market and directly purchase them. There isn't even a system comparable to the FFXI auction house where purchase histories can be viewed.

In light of what is expected from an MMOs as a whole, the fact that we are lacking these two things is big drawback. But they will be implemented in patch 1.20, and this is the reason why we decided to commence billing. We hope you'll all give 1.20 a try and come to your own conclusions. Those who continue playing can experience the live event called the Seventh Umbral Era which will usher in new content such as battles and quests in each patch.


This quote taken "Letter from the Producer LIVE Part II" and can be found here.


Edited, Nov 12th 2011 9:57pm by Dyrwydi
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
#28 Nov 13 2011 at 5:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,878 posts
Wow only a year after release we might be able to put parties together without a LS or shouting!
____________________________
OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote: I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest...

#29 Nov 13 2011 at 6:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
136 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
je355804 wrote:
zpanda wrote:
Finally!....



"Finally" is the understatement of the century!

I bet this sort of debacle never happens in an MMO again.

A game with no AH... what were they thinking lOL? Remember when we had to check EVERY single retainer for the item you wanted? The incompetence of the original game producers is pretty astounding if you look back on it. I'm so glad we have this new team in there!


Honestly, it seems like most of the decisions were done due to time constraints and shortcuts. Guildleves were put in because they didn't have quest-givers; anima was done because they didn't have travel options; the wards were done because they didn't have an auction house; zones were copied and pasted; disciples of land and hand were implemented with almost no distinguishing features whatsoever; and so forth.

I think that the old team was making lots of stuff (keep in mind that most of the things implemented thus far - from coeurls to ifrit - have actually been in the .dats since release), but they were just faced with poor planning and had to release with as much "working" as possible.

In short, the old team was incompetent, perhaps, but I think it was more from their failure to create an adequate timeline before release than from doing no work and wilfully implementing terrible systems.


Yeah i'm going to have to go with this. Tanaka was a terrible producer, I think he was in a tough spot trying to tell the big wigs over at SE head quarters that he was going to need a larger development staff and another year to develop the game, but I blame poor communication more then anything given the fact that once yoshi-P stepped in he was able to weasel his way into another year as well as a huge staff and plans for a re-release, granted the pressure of having a final fantasy game failed was 1/2 of his case he has a strong way of gaining trust and support from his players I can only imagine those skills transferred over into the business end of things as well.
#30 Nov 16 2011 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,083 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
disciples of land and hand were implemented with almost no distinguishing features whatsoever..


Still waiting for this one.... materia has helped a tiny bit with DoH but DoL basically hung out to dry. All that potential just wasted. Why make them actual classes anyway??
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#31 Nov 16 2011 at 4:29 PM Rating: Decent
rikkuotaku wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
disciples of land and hand were implemented with almost no distinguishing features whatsoever..


Still waiting for this one.... materia has helped a tiny bit with DoH but DoL basically hung out to dry. All that potential just wasted. Why make them actual classes anyway??


An excellent question - click the spoiler to see what Yoshi-P had to say on the matter.


The future of Disciples of the Land and fundamental class revamps
For Disciples of War/Magic, I want to provide the joy of fighting and defeating powerful enemies. For Disciples of the Hand, I want to provide a feeling of satisfaction from other players utilizing your created items. For Disciples of the Land, I want to provide a sense of fulfillment for gathering the materials that support the world.

I want to include content in which those that gather are praised by other players and NPCs for their efforts to travel the world and collect various items.

The gathering mini-game will be adjusted as follows up to the release of 2.0 (at the latest):
• Gathering points will be searched for and discovered using a Disciple of the Land-specific ability
• The gathering points discovered will have different levels, and they can be accessed based on class level
• If the player has a sufficient Disciple of the Land level, it will be possible to gather at the point
• Points with rare materials will move around within the area
• Disciple of the Land-specific abilities will be heavily reviewed
• A point system similar to TP and MP will be implemented (same for Disciples of the Hand)
• A reward system similar to exp bonuses will be implemented for successful gathering attempts in succession (also for Disciples of the Hand)
• Fundamental animation revamps
• A system for easier gathering will be created (also for Disciples of the Hand)

We have also prepared a more detailed explanation of specs to implement the above.

Some aspects within this list cannot be implemented until the servers are revamped. However, we will be doing our best to implement animation revamps, specific ability adjustments, gathered material additions and others before the release of 2.0.


I totally agree with you on this though, what was going through Tanaka's head when he allowed his Devs to run amok with this? The world should be more than a bunch of random spots where you play the same mini-game over and over, and Yoshi-P's take on that with "If you take this all in as an adventurer, it’s possible to experience and play any type of content; however, if you look at it from a class perspective, you will only be able to play certain content" comment left me wondering what exactly he was planning for the DoH classes. I was very grateful for the additional explanation laid out above - especially the part about Abilities, Points and Rewards systems. There is hope, sadly for now I just have to re-equip my bow and "go hunting" to play my DoL classes.


Alas, off-topic once more, my apologies for contributing to it... Yay Auction Houses and Player Search!


Edited, Nov 16th 2011 5:33pm by Dyrwydi
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
#32 Nov 16 2011 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Yay for the new changes! I get more and more excited every day for 1.20.

But, where is my mailbox? I am sick of having to lug around my stacks of Moko Grass until I see my sister next?

Edited, Nov 21st 2011 5:01pm by Yelta
#33 Nov 16 2011 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
melaniewing wrote:
Yay for the new changes! I get more and more excited every day for 1.20.

But, where is my mailbox? I am sick of having to lug around my stacks of Moko Grass until I see my sister next?


Agreed! The world economy suffers from the lack of a way to perform item / gil transfers between characters. An intuitive mail system is needed.

Edited, Nov 16th 2011 6:50pm by Dyrwydi
____________________________
Success is a journey, not a destination - Failure is a destination achieved by ending the journey.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)