Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Help with new computer to playFollow

#1 Nov 14 2011 at 3:09 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
I am sure this question has been asked many times but I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me if the system I am looking at will play FFXIV efficiently because of the processor. So, here it is and I hope it does and all answers and advise are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.


Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling
Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair XMS Gaming Memory with Heat Spreader)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Hard Drive: 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 475MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Speakers: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
____________________________


#2 Nov 14 2011 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
I haven't looked into purchasing new computer parts for a long while. The last time was about a month before FFXIV's release actually. At the time, the suggested GPU was a 5770. I purchased a 2GB 5870. The cpu I purchased is an AMD 1090T. With this cpu and gpu, the game runs excellent. Everything is on highest settings except ambient occlusion, which I hear causes lag for most users. I used these links to gauge on how well my parts would work. The higher the score, the better it will fare. At the time I was building my computer, I had an idea of the absolute lowest I could go and still play the game, but at this point, I don't remember how low anymore due to time and the changes in the market. Hopefully someone who's more knowledgeable will read this and help you more than I can. I can't say much, but if there's going to be something on your computer that limits the longevity of your computer build, it'll be the processor. I'd suggest buying a higher end cpu. It'll not only perform better now, but it'll take longer before you feel like you need to replace it with something better.

http://videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

EDIT: Sorry about the edit, but looking again, I see that you have a 60 GB hard drive. Each person has their own needs when it comes to storage, but 60 GB is a very small amount. When looking at JUST my install folder for XIV, it's 10.5GB by itself. This doesn't include installing windows 7 or any other programs I might use. I'd suggest getting atleast 100GB hard drive, since this game alone will take up a substantial amount of storage.

Edited, Nov 14th 2011 11:30am by swisa
____________________________
#3 Nov 14 2011 at 5:23 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
TY very much for that input. I did some comparison on the two and it's so confusing. http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUSideBySide.aspx?id=773&id=652 It says the 4100 processes more but this is no where to be talked about if someone has used this in FFXIV so no way of telling. I am on a budget and very worried about cost right now. I looked at the 1055T version like you have just one step down and it's a little more in my price range. (Still going over budget but not by much) What do you think?

When I was in the beta I had a, what I thought, good computer that would at least play it on normal settings. I couldn't have been more wrong so now I am paranoid as to what to buy because this game way over did my expectations of performance and visual appeal. I don't expect to play the game on high settings but at least at medium.

Edited, Nov 14th 2011 6:23pm by Vyvianna

Edited, Nov 14th 2011 6:25pm by Vyvianna
____________________________


#4 Nov 14 2011 at 6:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
179 posts
swisa wrote:
EDIT: Sorry about the edit, but looking again, I see that you have a 60 GB hard drive. Each person has their own needs when it comes to storage, but 60 GB is a very small amount. When looking at JUST my install folder for XIV, it's 10.5GB by itself. This doesn't include installing windows 7 or any other programs I might use. I'd suggest getting atleast 100GB hard drive, since this game alone will take up a substantial amount of storage.

Edited, Nov 14th 2011 11:30am by swisa


Edit: That's a 60BG SSD, he's got two other decent size HDDs. I needed to do a better job reading.

A larger PSU might come in handy later, but other than that, it looks like you've got a beast of a machine.

The nice thing is that you'll be set for a few years. I got an Alienware PC last year that I thought was overkill. It's turned out to be great; I've been able to multibox RIFT smoothly and play the newer games with the graphics pumped up.


Edited, Nov 14th 2011 7:21pm by Lukky
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#5 Nov 14 2011 at 6:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
115 posts
What is your budget? I recommend taking this question to tomshardware.com. I love their forums, and everyone in it loves specking out budget computers. I can't be positive but My guess is that they will steer you towards an intel/nvidia build. You can also check out their main sight where they showcase a lot of build ideas, especially for different budgets.

The guy above me is right, you do want more HDD space. But you don't want to give up your 60gb ocz agility drive. What you want to do, is gut the hard drive out of your old computer or increase your budget by a smidge. For a an extra 100$ will net a good 2tb drive.

But you want the SSD to be your boot drive and to hold the programs you access the most often.

It's clear to me from what you posted that your budget is such that no matter what you get, you'll be able to run FF14 without any issues. It came out a year forever ago in computer terms. And 2.0 is going to scale great they've been saying.
#6 Nov 14 2011 at 7:29 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
I would just point out that there will(hopefully) be a vast difference between how the same PC performs now vs post 2.0 for XIV. My advice here will be pretty consistent with what it has been over the past year and a half.

Wait. If you don't need a PC right now then your best option is to wait it out. Unless you find something you'll never see again on Black Friday, it doesn't make sense to build a PC for XIV when technically it hasn't been released yet. That being said, if you're still gung ho about it then here's my take on your current list...

The AMD processor has nice base clocks which will work well for XIV. You won't need liquid unless you plan on overclocking so stick to stock fans and you can save a few bucks there.

While they are nice to have for daily use, SSD doesn't have a measurable difference in gaming. A 7200 RPM HDD will serve you just as well, but you'll want one to compliment the SSD if you do go that route so you'll have somewhere to store photos, music and movies, work projects ect.

8GB of RAM is overkill and unless you're doing pretty serious editing or rendering you wouldn't see much difference there either. 4GB is plenty for normal day to day tasks including gaming.

I don't see a power supply listed. Unless one comes with the case then make sure you give yourself a healthy overhead. If you are considering adding a second GPU for crossfire then also take that into consideration.


It looks like a nice build, but without knowing the recommended specs for 2.0 and with the second batch of sandybridge processors from Intel due early next year, I'd stick with what you have if it works.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#7 Nov 14 2011 at 8:45 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
What I have doesn't work at all. Fine for medium setting for wow or eq2 but definitely not for ffxiv. FFXIV is what I want to play and I know I need a new system anyway b/c my laptop is not cutting it anymore for even those other games, so its inevitable I'm going to have to do it anyway and this is when I have the money to do it so, I'm going to take the plunge. It does come with a 700w power supply so I should be okay there. The system comes standard w/ the ssd so is there anything else that I should take into consideration. My main concern is the cpu because I have not seen anyone say they have this and use it or any real comments about how well it works. What is your thoughts on this? Again, thank you all so much for your help. I will be making my purchase the first week of December and am very very excited. I would like to play for a bit before they do these new changes basically because I am impatient and adore Final Fantasy. LOL
____________________________


#8 Nov 14 2011 at 10:58 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
The CPU should be fine, it's rated about on par with the x4 965, which is a fine baseline gaming PC processor.

My main concern would be the price, because that list looks pre-built. A pre-built with an SSD screams Alienware, so I'm worried that you're paying vastly more than you should for what you're getting.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#9 Nov 14 2011 at 11:06 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Vyvianna wrote:
I'm going to have to do it anyway and this is when I have the money to do it so, I'm going to take the plunge.

Fair enough.

Vyvianna wrote:
It does come with a 700w power supply so I should be okay there.

Absolutely. If you decide in the future to add a second video card then you may need to get a bigger PSU, but worry about that bridge when you come to it.

Quote:
The system comes standard w/ the ssd so is there anything else that I should take into consideration.

The SSD is pretty small. Most of them usually are because people tend to load only specific programs on them, but if you are planning on storing large amounts of data like music, movies or loading up with more games then you will want to get a regular HDD.

Something like this would work well.

Vyvianna wrote:
My main concern is the cpu because I have not seen anyone say they have this and use it or any real comments about how well it works. What is your thoughts on this?

Zambezi!

AMD makes great products. Before the sandy bridge processors from Intel were released, they were the best price vs performance you could get. What you really want for XIV performance right now is a high clock speed. The processor you have selected here starts at 3.6GHz which is about the best you can get currently. Not the fastest available, but it's solid.



____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#10 Nov 14 2011 at 11:10 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
What the **** is with the price of HDDs lately? 6 months ago you could easily get a quality 500 GB HDD for ~$50.

I got this HDD for $43.99 on June 10th, and now it's $140.

EDIT: Oh wait, flooding in Thailand.



Edited, Nov 14th 2011 11:16pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#11 Nov 14 2011 at 11:13 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
bsphil wrote:
What the **** is with the price of HDDs lately? 6 months ago you could easily get a quality 500 GB HDD for ~$50.

iknorite

Not even SATA 6.0 or anything. I was a bit surprised when I looked for this.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#12 Nov 14 2011 at 11:42 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
It is prebuilt yes and I can actually upgrade or downgrade anything from it. I was thinking about upgrading to the phenom II x6 1055T. Do you think this will be much better? The hard drive I am a bit concerned about but not for beginning as there won't be music or anything else except for 2 games on it for now and possibly checking a website or two for those games and later upgrading to a second. Any thoughts on this other CPU? Is it better or same for this particular game? Thank you again in advance :)
____________________________


#13 Nov 14 2011 at 11:53 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Vyvianna wrote:
I was thinking about upgrading to the phenom II x6 1055T. Do you think this will be much better?

Worse. Like I said, for XIV you want a processor with fast clock speeds. If you could upgrade the processor it should be to either an Intel i7-2600 or if you want to stay cheap the phenom II x4 980 BE. The x6 in the name of that processor you are considering means it has 6 cores. XIV doesn't even make use of 4 cores which is why it's best to get fast clock speed.


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#14 Nov 14 2011 at 11:55 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
You don't gain much going to a 6-core processor for gaming. You can if you want, but I think you're fine as is on that end. The extra cores/hyperthreading shines moreso in other programs that can make more balanced use of every CPU core. Games tend to just have a few very busy threads and a bunch more smaller ones, making quad core sufficient for gaming. If anything, I'd be worried about getting a slower processor with more cores.

The hard drive is pretty limiting, yes. I'm not sure what the prices will do in the near future, so I won't try to advise on that end.

Edited, Nov 15th 2011 12:07am by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#15 Nov 15 2011 at 2:00 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
This was a mistake post, meant to quote, plz look below :/

Edited, Nov 15th 2011 3:09am by Vyvianna
____________________________


#16 Nov 15 2011 at 2:06 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Vyvianna wrote:
I was thinking about upgrading to the phenom II x6 1055T. Do you think this will be much better?

Worse. Like I said, for XIV you want a processor with fast clock speeds. If you could upgrade the processor it should be to either an Intel i7-2600 or if you want to stay cheap the phenom II x4 980 BE. The x6 in the name of that processor you are considering means it has 6 cores. XIV doesn't even make use of 4 cores which is why it's best to get fast clock speed.





Gotcha and ty. I can't seem to find the one u are talking about, I can find as high as 965 Black Edition that they will put in for me. I do not know how to build computers and don't want to take the chance on messing something up. How good is this one?
____________________________


#17 Nov 15 2011 at 2:53 AM Rating: Good
*
115 posts
I can't recommend SSD highly enough and there have been some good talks about how effects gaming performance and overall computer performance. For the most part I'd agree with the people saying video card is the most important part for gaming.

But here is one take on how SSD's effect MMO play:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274641-31-will-improve-game-performance

Also you're going to load the game and boot your computer everyday. Cutting that time by a gazillion% is worth it. I've made two upgrades to my computer in the past 4 years. I went from a gts8800 to a gtx570 and I went from a 7200rpm boot drive to a cheap SSD. The SSD made the most noticeable difference to performance.
#18 Nov 15 2011 at 3:44 AM Rating: Decent
*
115 posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-24.html

In the comments of that bulldozer review the author says he's working on an article about the specific processor you chose and that it looks like it's holding up better in it's class than the FX-8150. But I disagree with FilthMcNasty, the upgraded processor you'd want is the i5-2500k which is way cheaper than the price of the 2600k and google seems to think you can get it for under 200$ The difference in performance between the two is negligible outside of high end mass calculations, unzipping, and stuff like video work.

Also!

Don't be scared to build your own computer, it is sick amounts of fun, you feel awesome once you've done it, and all the parts fit where you think they should. It's really hard to ***** it up and bork/brick your computer when building it. I've forgotten thermal paste, I've forgotten heatsinks, I've viciously pulled ram out of slots that weren't unlocked, I had a friend who had his cpu literally catch on fire at start up because there was a piece of paper stuck on it. Shut down, clean off, restart. A-OK. I've dropped them off tables, I've unseated video cards without turning it off. Seriously stupid mistakes. Computer's are nearly indestructible from my experience. Plus I bet you have a friend who wants to help you put it together.

Like the SSD I highly recommend building your own. All you need is a ***** driver and newegg. Think about it. I really think building is a skill you'll enjoy. Aaaand, you'll have the whole internet to ask for help. Won't you have to clean out your 510CL every year?

Also what is your budget?

(Gut your optical drive, gut your old HDDs)
#19 Nov 15 2011 at 5:20 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
Very interesting how SSDs act in online gaming, I did not know that and thank you for the link. I am now glad that this one has one and later, once I got the base of my computer done and able to run what I want it to (FFXIV) I will plan to put a second one in. Unfortunately, building my own computer I would have to do it all on my own. I do not have many friends that I live around that are gamers and know this type of stuff. In-fact, when people find out I am a gamer they seem shocked and almost in disbelief, probably because of my age and ***. lol Anyway, I know the graphics card is going to be ok but more concerned now with the processor. Seem to be so many thoughts on this and honestly, I'm so confused lol
____________________________


#20 Nov 15 2011 at 5:20 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Vyvianna wrote:
I can't seem to find the one u are talking about, I can find as high as 965 Black Edition that they will put in for me. I do not know how to build computers and don't want to take the chance on messing something up. How good is this one?


It might not be an option for you depending on who is putting this together for you, but you can find the processors I'm talking about here and here.

What is your budget for a PC? I might be able to find something premade that would work for you.

Also, as far as the SSD issue goes I don't see the benefit. Unless you are in an incredibly crowded area, which in XIV causes issues anyway, it's not going to improve your performance. Character models will load up slightly faster, but with this game's poor coding it'll still be slow.


Edited, Nov 15th 2011 6:25am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#21 Nov 15 2011 at 5:34 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
Was hoping not to spend over 800 in the first go around. I can always spend more later to upgrade hard-drive etc. I will only be using this computer for 2 maybe 3 games. I am happy with the video card but like I said, not sure at all about a processor for this particular game. I hear a lot of horror stories and my old pc, which I thought was low end but could play failed miserably. LOL :(
____________________________


#22 Nov 15 2011 at 5:38 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Vyvianna wrote:
I can't seem to find the one u are talking about, I can find as high as 965 Black Edition that they will put in for me. I do not know how to build computers and don't want to take the chance on messing something up. How good is this one?


It might not be an option for you depending on who is putting this together for you, but you can find the processors I'm talking about here and here.

What is your budget for a PC? I might be able to find something premade that would work for you.

Also, as far as the SSD issue goes I don't see the benefit. Unless you are in an incredibly crowded area, which in XIV causes issues anyway, it's not going to improve your performance. Character models will load up slightly faster, but with this game's poor coding it'll still be slow.


Edited, Nov 15th 2011 6:25am by FilthMcNasty


I was considering this one also even though it's a bit over my budget

General Spec Brand CyberpowerPC
Model
Gamer Xtreme 1322 (GX1322)
Type Gaming Processor Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz
Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor Cache Per Processor 8MB L3 Cache
Memory 8GB
Hard Drive 1TB
Optical Drive 1 24x DVD±R/±RW
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Audio Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet
Power Supply 600W
Keyboard
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Special Features
Thermaltake Commander Gaming Case
Motherboard Chipset Intel Z68 CPU
CPU Type Intel Core i7
CPU Speed 2600K(3.40GHz) L3 Cache Per CPU
8MB
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Memory
Memory Capacity
8GB DDR3
Memory Speed
DDR3 1333
Memory Spec
4GB x 2
Memory Slot (Total)
4
Hard Drive
HDD Capacity
1TB
HDD Interface
SATA III
HDD RPM
7200rpm
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type
DVD±RW
Optical Drive Spec
24x DVD±R/±RW DUAL LAYER DRIVE
Audio
Audio Channels
7.1 Ch Audio
Communications
LAN Chipset
Integrated
LAN Speed
10/100/1000Mbps
Front Panel Ports
Front USB
2
Back Panel Ports
PS/2
1
Rear USB
2 x USB 3.0
4 x USB 2.0
RJ45
1 port
Expansion
PCI Slots (Available/Total)
2x PCI-e x16
3x PCI-e x1



Edited, Nov 15th 2011 6:41am by Vyvianna
____________________________


#23 Nov 15 2011 at 6:12 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
What is your budget? Also, we can't tell you if it's a good deal if you don't list the price.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#24 Nov 15 2011 at 6:13 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
Sorry, I made 2 posts and put it before the last big one. 800ish. The new one I listed is for 849

Edited, Nov 15th 2011 7:14am by Vyvianna
____________________________


#25 Nov 15 2011 at 7:23 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Seems like a good deal for the parts, but like bsphil said it's probably a cheap power supply. Personally I'm a cheapass myself, but if there is one thing I spend on for my rigs it's power. The power supply feeds all the other components. If it fails then there is a chance it can take other things with it so if you can get something with a silver rating, try for that.

Otherwise the rest of the parts look good.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#26 Nov 15 2011 at 7:36 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
Okay thank you very much. I will get this last one then and upgrade the power supply as soon as I can. Thanks again :)
____________________________


#27 Nov 15 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Decent
*
115 posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-sandy-bridge-e,3071-14.html

an i5-2500k saves you at least 100$ and you lose, on ultra settings, a tenth of a frame per second in world of warcraft.

On the other hand the 2600k will net you a bigger e-***** and score you significantly more points in folding @home. Because unlike FFXIV it can use those extra hyper threads.

If you're going to fold, and you should -- as it scores you bigger i'm-an-awesome-crowdsourcing-do-gooder points, think about folding for EVGA, they give you EVGA bucks and that will bring down the cost of a videocard/motherboard someday in the future.

It'll be funny folding for them when you run an AMD card! Other people might give you money/points to fold but EVGA is the only one I know of.

You're computer is awesome, I'm totally jealous. You'll love it.

Edited, Nov 15th 2011 2:46pm by Squander
#28 Nov 15 2011 at 4:20 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
Squander wrote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-sandy-bridge-e,3071-14.html

an i5-2500k saves you at least 100$ and you lose, on ultra settings, a tenth of a frame per second in world of warcraft.

On the other hand the 2600k will net you a bigger e-***** and score you significantly more points in folding @home. Because unlike FFXIV it can use those extra hyper threads.

If you're going to fold, and you should -- as it scores you bigger i'm-an-awesome-crowdsourcing-do-gooder points, think about folding for EVGA, they give you EVGA bucks and that will bring down the cost of a videocard/motherboard someday in the future.

It'll be funny folding for them when you run an AMD card! Other people might give you money/points to fold but EVGA is the only one I know of.

You're computer is awesome, I'm totally jealous. You'll love it.

Edited, Nov 15th 2011 2:46pm by Squander



Do you play ffxiv? If so what server you on? I plan on getting this system first week of December and would love to have a 'friend' already there to hang out with and teach me the ropes. I always play a healer in games so I might just come in handy. LOL (hint hint) hehe

The first promotion is closed but I will definitely check into that when I do get this new one and thank you for cluing me into that. Very interesting cause and system. I like it!!!!


Edited, Nov 15th 2011 5:28pm by Vyvianna
____________________________


#29 Nov 15 2011 at 5:44 PM Rating: Decent
*
109 posts
looks good but I'd get a bigger power supply, like a 1000 watt. make sure you have plenty of power feeding everything.
____________________________
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower
MSI 790FX-GD70
2 OCZ SSD 120GB
AMD Phenom II 965 Quad-core 3.4Ghz
2 ATI Sapphire HD5870 1gb GDDR5
8GB OCZ DDR3
#30 Nov 15 2011 at 9:04 PM Rating: Good
****
4,145 posts
Pyrien wrote:
looks good but I'd get a bigger power supply, like a 1000 watt. make sure you have plenty of power feeding everything.


Not really necessary. 1k PSUs are for people with 2-3 video cards running. What's important is how efficient it is and what it's rated for.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#31 Nov 15 2011 at 9:29 PM Rating: Default
49 posts
My core2duo with 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, and gtx280 video card plays the game pretty damned well. The curve is exponential though. To get a bit more my main system running an i7 950, 6gb ram, and dual GTX580's in SLI will play near max settings. However the quality difference is not that huge. $200-300 for a budget rig then a video card into it and call it a day. There's no need for insanity level systems for this game. ****, my laptop with a gtx260m plays it pretty well. If you build a big system, it's not to play the game better, it's for fun.
#32 Nov 15 2011 at 10:39 PM Rating: Default
49 posts
Ooh, i would consider in a 40gb corsair force f40 40gb hdd for $89 or something like that for hte game. makes a mammoth difference in the load time for character models.
#33 Nov 15 2011 at 11:01 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
Ok, thanks for the input. I will definitely look into that. Plan on within a month or so of ordering the system, getting at least a 700-750 ps just to be on the safe side.
____________________________


#34 Nov 16 2011 at 12:06 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Squander wrote:
an i5-2500k saves you at least 100$ and you lose, on ultra settings, a tenth of a frame per second in world of warcraft.
Not like running WoW even at completely maxed settings is all that difficult to do. Of all the games to pick for a benchmark, I don't know why you'd decide on that. Then again, most games are designed properly and can offload most of the work to the GPU, minimizing the impact CPU has on performance.

Either way, I would rather have the 2500k for the price savings.

Edited, Nov 16th 2011 12:12pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#35 Nov 16 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
bsphil wrote:
Squander wrote:
an i5-2500k saves you at least 100$ and you lose, on ultra settings, a tenth of a frame per second in world of warcraft.
Not like running WoW even at completely maxed settings is all that difficult to do. Of all the games to pick for a benchmark, I don't know why you'd decide on that. Then again, most games are designed properly and can offload most of the work to the GPU, minimizing the impact CPU has on performance.

Either way, I would rather have the 2500k for the price savings.

Edited, Nov 16th 2011 12:12pm by bsphil

There's always gonna be only so much that the GPU is going to take care of. Modern engines have made substantial use of mutli-core processors for years.

FFXIV, being designed for the PS3, seems to be more dependent than most on processor capabilities, and I'm guessing core number is critical. I'd love to see how it runs on the new 8-core AMD chips.
____________________________


#36 Nov 16 2011 at 2:01 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Squander wrote:
an i5-2500k saves you at least 100$ and you lose, on ultra settings, a tenth of a frame per second in world of warcraft.
Not like running WoW even at completely maxed settings is all that difficult to do. Of all the games to pick for a benchmark, I don't know why you'd decide on that. Then again, most games are designed properly and can offload most of the work to the GPU, minimizing the impact CPU has on performance.

Either way, I would rather have the 2500k for the price savings.

Edited, Nov 16th 2011 12:12pm by bsphil

There's always gonna be only so much that the GPU is going to take care of. Modern engines have made substantial use of mutli-core processors for years.

FFXIV, being designed for the PS3, seems to be more dependent than most on processor capabilities, and I'm guessing core number is critical. I'd love to see how it runs on the new 8-core AMD chips.
I have my doubts. Aren't there cores dedicated to the OS in the PS3? Besides, there's a big difference between using multiple cores and balancing work between cores. It's difficult to do well in a video game. Audio/video processing and converting is easier to split between any number of threads evenly (for example).

And multi-core processors for desktop computers are what, 6 years old now? I don't think you can even buy CPUs for computers with a single core anymore. Developers have had plenty of time to work in those environments prior to FFXIV. And really, do you think FFXIV of all games would be the game to best optimize processing power?



Edited, Nov 16th 2011 2:05pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#37 Nov 18 2011 at 2:00 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
There's always gonna be only so much that the GPU is going to take care of. Modern engines have made substantial use of mutli-core processors for years.

FFXIV, being designed for the PS3, seems to be more dependent than most on processor capabilities, and I'm guessing core number is critical. I'd love to see how it runs on the new 8-core AMD chips.


Actually the opposite is true. GPUs these days are being bottlenecked by processors. Modern engines are making better use of new technology, but sadly XIV is not counted among them.

XIV doesn't even use all cores of a quad so I'm not sure why having 8 cores would have an effect. Like I've said before, this game's performance shows more with higher clock speeds and hex+ processors cores generally run at lower speeds. No bueno.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#38 Nov 19 2011 at 4:54 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
18 posts
Ok, so what is the difference between an i5 and an i7? This one is puzzling me as well. Thanks for the input guys.
____________________________


#39 Nov 19 2011 at 5:58 PM Rating: Good
**
335 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:


Actually the opposite is true. GPUs these days are being bottlenecked by processors. Modern engines are making better use of new technology, but sadly XIV is not counted among them.

XIV doesn't even use all cores of a quad so I'm not sure why having 8 cores would have an effect. Like I've said before, this game's performance shows more with higher clock speeds and hex+ processors cores generally run at lower speeds. No bueno.


I have heard you say that FFXIV does not use all cores of a quad core but do you have any proof of that? I have had two different machines both show use on the quad cores (obviously it doesnt use the HT ones).

Vyvianna wrote:
Ok, so what is the difference between an i5 and an i7? This one is puzzling me as well. Thanks for the input guys.

It depends on which i5 or i7 you are talking about specifically. Some i5 have only 2 cores while some have 4 cores. Some i7 have 4 cores or 6 cores, but usually have hyper threading which give it the appearance of double the amount of cores it has. There are other differences but those are the ones people mainly refer to.
____________________________


#40 Nov 19 2011 at 10:12 PM Rating: Default
15 posts
thats overkill for FFXIV, I run a core 2 duo 2.4ghz with 2GB of RAM and a geforce 9600 GTO, and everything is maxed at 1600x1050 resolution, and run a steady 25-40FPS
#41 Nov 19 2011 at 11:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
737 posts
FFXIV is not very CPU intensive. However it can ***** slap GPU's around with ease. I run an i7-930 (stock) and CPU usage max is never more then 40% (with 2 cores always parked, and 2 others barely active). And cpu temps not more then 46 degrees celsius max. My GPU a 5870 is a different story. 25-35 fps in town 60 fps outside of town. FFXIV can only draw 30-40 characters on screen at once so when towns have lots of players I get bad character loading lag when running through. A faster hard drive would help some. And memory wise never used more then 2.5 gigs out of my 6 gigs installed.
#42 Nov 20 2011 at 1:15 AM Rating: Good
****
4,145 posts
Shadowspell wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:


Actually the opposite is true. GPUs these days are being bottlenecked by processors. Modern engines are making better use of new technology, but sadly XIV is not counted among them.

XIV doesn't even use all cores of a quad so I'm not sure why having 8 cores would have an effect. Like I've said before, this game's performance shows more with higher clock speeds and hex+ processors cores generally run at lower speeds. No bueno.


I have heard you say that FFXIV does not use all cores of a quad core but do you have any proof of that? I have had two different machines both show use on the quad cores (obviously it doesnt use the HT ones).

Run process explorer. It will show you what threads are running and how much of a core is being used by those threads. On the two processors I've used (AMD 1090T and Intel 2600) I never get use across all cores. The usage isn't balanced either so the load isn't being spread efficiently.

Displace wrote:
FFXIV is not very CPU intensive. However it can ***** slap GPU's around with ease. I run an i7-930 (stock) and CPU usage max is never more then 40% (with 2 cores always parked, and 2 others barely active).


It ***** slaps GPUs because it's poorly optimized. There is a good reason they're upgrading the graphics engine in 2.0

You'll see much better overall gains in performance from upgrading or overclocking a CPU than you would from doing the same to the GPU.



____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#43 Nov 23 2011 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
419 posts
In all honesty, I would go with building a PC yourself. It's really quite simple and there are loads of tutorials on the web. Not to mention you generally get a better price and have the luxury of hand-picking all the components, so you know you are getting quality parts.

I have a budget gaming PC in my Newegg wishlist:

$715 for everything before any mail in rebates.

Intel Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz (Dual core with hyper-threading, in my opinion this is the best budget CPU for gaming, even though it is a dual core. Most games won't need more than that and Windows will see it as a quad core, even though the hyperthreaded threads aren't as powerful as true cores.)
Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard
MSI Radeon 6870
750GB WD Caviar Black
4 GB Kingston RAM
Antec 430W PSU (Believe it or not, this is enough to power most midrange enthusiast cards, and the i3 2100 is not at all a power hungry CPU either) Also, most PSUs reach their optimum efficiency levels between 50%-80% load so buying a high wattage PSU can be less efficient if you're never drawing close to the full capacity.
Fractal Design Core 1000 mATX case

Also note that for ~$40 you could take a 6950 rather than a 6870 for more graphics power, or for ~$100 you could replace the i3 2100 with an i5 2500k which is a true quad core with a lot of overclocking potential. I would recommend getting at least a 500w PSU though with either of these upgrades.

Yes, this is an mATX build, due to trying to keep the budget low but you would be surprised what you can do with a small PC these days.



Edited, Nov 23rd 2011 12:11pm by Degausser
____________________________


#44 Nov 23 2011 at 2:01 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Degausser wrote:
Intel Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz (Dual core with hyper-threading, in my opinion this is the best budget CPU for gaming, even though it is a dual core. Most games won't need more than that and Windows will see it as a quad core, even though the hyperthreaded threads aren't as powerful as true cores.)
Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard
MSI Radeon 6870


Scale back your GPU and upgrade the CPU. If your budget is limited you'll get much better performance from CPU than GPU. What you have listed here will struggle with XIV.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#45 Nov 23 2011 at 2:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
419 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Degausser wrote:
Intel Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz (Dual core with hyper-threading, in my opinion this is the best budget CPU for gaming, even though it is a dual core. Most games won't need more than that and Windows will see it as a quad core, even though the hyperthreaded threads aren't as powerful as true cores.)
Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard
MSI Radeon 6870


Scale back your GPU and upgrade the CPU. If your budget is limited you'll get much better performance from CPU than GPU. What you have listed here will struggle with XIV.


Note that this is not a build I have for FFXIV specifically, just a general budget gaming rig I specced out for fun. I haven't seen any benchmarks of CPU scaling in FFXIV but for any other game I would rather have more GPU horsepower than CPU, and the i3 2100 can drive many games very well considering the price.

EDIT: Here is a review that shows the i3 2100 matching or beating all of AMD's quad core CPUs that are around the same price range, and keeping up pretty well with all of the Intel quad core or better CPUs.

Considering the OP is on a budget, I'd say that the i3 2100 has the perfect price/performance ratio.

Edited, Nov 23rd 2011 2:25pm by Degausser
____________________________


#46 Nov 23 2011 at 5:01 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Degausser wrote:
Note that this is not a build I have for FFXIV specifically, just a general budget gaming rig I specced out for fun. I haven't seen any benchmarks of CPU scaling in FFXIV but for any other game I would rather have more GPU horsepower than CPU, and the i3 2100 can drive many games very well considering the price.

EDIT: Here is a review that shows the i3 2100 matching or beating all of AMD's quad core CPUs that are around the same price range, and keeping up pretty well with all of the Intel quad core or better CPUs.

Considering the OP is on a budget, I'd say that the i3 2100 has the perfect price/performance ratio.


Run software that tracks the usage of your CPU when you run XIV. You'll see that in comparison to other MMOs, XIV is about the most demanding game you can run regardless of what your graphics settings are. It's not really a scaling issue either since it scales poorly, it's just that XIV is that punishing.

That review is a bit dated and doesn't list the 980 or any of the newer zambezi chips. With the 980 you get the extra cores, double the cache and an increase of 1.2GHz clock out of the box. The i3 is mostly a processor for people who want a solid CPU with integrated graphics.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)