Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Dead Server....Follow

#1 Jan 12 2012 at 7:55 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
So I played FFXI for a couple of years but quit years ago and thought I could just get back into something with FFXIV. I might be doing something totally wrong but I swear I can't find anyone ever on my server. Is there any way to switch? I'm constantly just wantering becase I don't understand half of it. Any tips please? Can I switch to a more active server or something, it's a ghost town at least the only places I know how to get to.
#2 Jan 12 2012 at 7:59 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
You need to either delete your character and restart on a new one, or buy an additional character slot. Most of the servers are dead, but if you're going to go to one, pick a three-chocobo server.
____________________________
#3 Jan 12 2012 at 8:02 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
Do people still play XI? I thought it would be worth getting the new one but I'm really having a much harder time, I can't ever figure out what I'm going and nobody to ask every and the people that I do so don't respond :( I totally want to love XIV
#4 Jan 12 2012 at 8:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
GinP wrote:
Do people still play XI? I thought it would be worth getting the new one but I'm really having a much harder time, I can't ever figure out what I'm going and nobody to ask every and the people that I do so don't respond :( I totally want to love XIV


XIV is a very unpopular, unpopulated game where no one talks except in a linkshell. XI still has WAY, WAY more people than XIV does. I'd personally recommend you head back to XI.
____________________________
#5 Jan 12 2012 at 8:11 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
They are planning server mergers in the near future to get rid of unpopulated servers.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#6 Jan 12 2012 at 8:15 PM Rating: Excellent
6 posts
Meh, I might go back, I thought I was doing something wrong, but really my heart belongs to xi, and I know way more there than on xiv
#7 Jan 12 2012 at 8:27 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Honestly, at this point, with a new game being made (apparently) and this basically being the "Donate to SE to make the game they should have made in the first place" fund... your money is better spent elsewhere.
____________________________
#8 Jan 12 2012 at 9:19 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,208 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Honestly, at this point, with a new game being made (apparently) and this basically being the "Donate to SE to make the game they should have made in the first place" fund... your money is better spent elsewhere.


Very well put...and this si the reason I quit, after playing since CE release, and went to SWTOR. Why waste your time playing a game that is going to die, and in the process fund the next SE mmo!
____________________________

FFXI: Maddog - 99 BST, BLM, RDM, WAR


#9 Jan 12 2012 at 9:23 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
Any suggestions on better MMO, besides star wars? Sorry just not a SW gal :/
#10 Jan 12 2012 at 9:25 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
852 posts
GinP wrote:
Any suggestions on better MMO, besides star wars? Sorry just not a SW gal :/


Well, what is it exactly that you're looking for in an MMO?
____________________________
#11 Jan 12 2012 at 9:36 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
Oh I don't know. I know terrible gamer am I. Ugh, something similar to ffxi I guess. Really only mmo I've played was xi and then decided I missed it after a long break and thus xiv and my problem with that. I read the reviews but thought they were just nay sayers against se. Alas, I see the problems that many people were talking about.
#12 Jan 12 2012 at 11:13 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
GinP wrote:
Oh I don't know. I know terrible gamer am I. Ugh, something similar to ffxi I guess. Really only mmo I've played was xi and then decided I missed it after a long break and thus xiv and my problem with that. I read the reviews but thought they were just nay sayers against se. Alas, I see the problems that many people were talking about.


And this is after sixteen months of patching. ;) -- There really isn't another FFXI-esque MMO except for FFXI at this point though, I'm sorry to say.

Edited, Jan 13th 2012 12:14am by hexaemeron
____________________________
#13 Jan 12 2012 at 11:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Meh, I might go back, I thought I was doing something wrong, but really my heart belongs to xi, and I know way more there than on xiv


Every FFXIV customer who quits and goes back to FFXI is still helping SE support FFXIV. So, even if you want XIV to survive, there's really no need to get too worked up about whether to go back to XI.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#14 Jan 13 2012 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
GinP wrote:
Any suggestions on better MMO, besides star wars? Sorry just not a SW gal :/


I didn't think it was going to be very good. I didn't get it when it first opened, but I was tired of WoW and FFXIV didn't seem to be going anywhere so I went ahead and got the digital copy to give it a whirl and I have to admit I was wrong.

Its true that once in a while it feels good DESPITE being star wars themed, but I have to say that Bioware really did a good job with it. Stories are bioware quality and it's pretty **** fun. They've done a great job embellishing the stories in a way Lucas could only dream of. It really does feel like Mass Effect got shoehorned in to the Star Wars universe.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#15 Jan 13 2012 at 10:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
463 posts
Iv been thinking about re-upping my sub as well, but was extremely discouraged by population (or lack thereof) when i last played a month or 2 ago. Bohdum seems completely dead. Is there a timetable for the server mergers? I have a few classes in my mid 20's and would like to get back into the game but playing solo 100% of the time is a little disheartening.
____________________________
Gadhelyn wrote:
This one time at FFXIV camp I tried to get a 3 person party going, but just ended up as a Disciple of the Hand.


#16 Jan 17 2012 at 1:56 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
digitalcraft wrote:

It really does feel like Mass Effect got shoehorned in to the Star Wars universe.


On some of the stories, yes. I was forcing myself through the Jedi Knight storyline and just couldn't get into it, but then tried out the Trooper one and felt right at home again. Jennifer Hale voicing the female Trooper doesn't hurt, either. It's definitely a unique experience and a lot of it isn't as "Star Warsy" as one would expect.

But as far as mmo's go in general, I feel like XI still had something special. SWTOR is nice for what it is, but it mostly feels like a single player game with some mmo elements that are sadly done better in other games.
#17 Jan 17 2012 at 10:56 PM Rating: Default
****
4,151 posts
Thayos wrote:
Every FFXIV customer who quits and goes back to FFXI is still helping SE support FFXIV. So, even if you want XIV to survive, there's really no need to get too worked up about whether to go back to XI.


Throwing good money after bad... dictionary definition.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#18 Jan 18 2012 at 4:37 AM Rating: Good
8 posts
Hey GinP, if you are still interested in FXIV and welling to reroll on a diffrent server, I would suggest checking out Cornelia. It is considered one of the most populated server atm.

Feel free to check http://www.zam.com/forum.html?forum=238&mid=1326882229162778929&p=1#1

----------------------------

On a diffrent note, most MMOs fall into two types. Either you have a westren MMORPG (wow,swotr,rift....etc) or the Chinese/Korean MMORPG (Lineage II, Perfect world...etc)

And then there is FFXI, its a japanese MMORPG with a diffrent feeling to it. Sadly there isnt anything out there like it. Closest thing is XIV.
#19 Jan 18 2012 at 6:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Same can be said for Besaid server. Just looks like you picked the wrong one to enter at the start.
____________________________
Esuna Forums

#20 Jan 18 2012 at 12:31 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
AlexM96 wrote:
Either you have a westren MMORPG (wow,swotr,rift....etc) or the Chinese/Korean MMORPG (Lineage II, Perfect world...etc)

And then there is FFXI, its a japanese MMORPG with a diffrent feeling to it. Sadly there isnt anything out there like it. Closest thing is XIV.


Yeah, and "Western" versus "Chinese/Korean" basically amounts to "WoW/WoW-clone" versus "WoW-clone with monster grinds instead of generic-task-grinds."

I just want someone to make a game that consists of a great world to explore, a world with a seemingly infinite amount of mystery and detail to it, where plants bloom under certain moon phases, where strange monsters come out when the rain falls heaviest, where the delving around unique and enticing landmarks is its own reward because they're all made so well; a game where you gather together with others and actually play the game, almost even live the game - not just rush after simple numbers and "loot" for a couple months before quitting until the next patch. >_<

I want something that's wonderful to play, but not obviously meant to be played. When each area leads you on a clear path and everything has an immediately discernible purpose, you're not experiencing a world, but a game and, eventually, just a pointless grind. I leveled in FFXI because I loved trying new abilities, because it was entertaining to experience the world as a different job, and because different jobs allowed me to explore in different ways, not because there was "epic gear" at cap.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#21 Jan 18 2012 at 2:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
562 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
I just want someone to make a game that consists of a great world to explore, a world with a seemingly infinite amount of mystery and detail to it, where plants bloom under certain moon phases, where strange monsters come out when the rain falls heaviest, where the delving around unique and enticing landmarks is its own reward because they're all made so well; a game where you gather together with others and actually play the game, almost even live the game - not just rush after simple numbers and "loot" for a couple months before quitting until the next patch. >_<

I want something that's wonderful to play, but not obviously meant to be played. When each area leads you on a clear path and everything has an immediately discernible purpose, you're not experiencing a world, but a game and, eventually, just a pointless grind. I leveled in FFXI because I loved trying new abilities, because it was entertaining to experience the world as a different job, and because different jobs allowed me to explore in different ways, not because there was "epic gear" at cap.


Do you know why exploring in FFXI felt so rewarding to me compared to modern MMOs? It's not because of the graphics, no, it's because nothing in that game came easy and traveling to distant lands brought about the feeling that you indeed were a long ways from home and without a safety net.

Listen this this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuvxcpQ-veg

It's the music for The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah, considered one of the best scores from FFXI. Often heard while traveling through on the way to the Boyahda Tree, the music reminds us of just how it felt to be out adventuring in a large world that wasn't to be glossed over and taken for granted, it's a melodic reminder that sometimes the journey is indeed better than the destination and the sacrifices we've given up for a more 'casual' based MMO environment.

We remember scores like this because you didn't travel long distances in FFXI with ease. There was no instant-mounts, or hub-based questing to max level, pushing us from zone to zone automatically with just the tiniest bit of danger lurking for us there. When you stepped off the beaten path in FFXI you were in real danger of being defeated and sent back to your starting city, not some graveyard just a short distance away. To see the world, to experience the entire depth of Vana'diel, required more than just jumping from npc to npc, completing tasks over mindless terrain and forgettable zones until you reached max level. It required an investment to the game, not a job nor something unreasonable, but something that indicated your time there meant something and you were going to make the most of it.

I rarely enjoy modern MMOs because the sense of accomplishment has been removed and replaced with color-coded gear upgrades and gimmick-based dungeon boss fights where the ability to stand in the purple circle rather than the green one means more toward your team's success than the ability to watch your aggro and not pull hate off the tank. Give me an MMORPG whereby reaching level 10 means something, and hitting the levelcap makes you sad because you know the best part of your journey is over, and I'll show you an MMORPG I'll subscribe to for life.



Edited, Jan 18th 2012 3:54pm by Whales
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#22 Jan 18 2012 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,151 posts
Whales wrote:
/nostalgia goggles on


XI was the first for a lot of people so I know where you're coming from with this post, but most people realize that those moments will never be recaptured by any other MMO. ****, many people who have gone back to XI to try to experience that again aren't able to. You always have fonder memories of the first...

Whales wrote:
I rarely enjoy modern MMOs because the sense of accomplishment has been removed and replaced with color-coded gear upgrades and gimmick-based dungeon boss fights where the ability to stand in the purple circle rather than the green one means more toward your team's success than the ability to watch your aggro and not pull hate off the tank.


Sense of accomplishment, due in large part to the incredible amounts of time invested and not due to difficulty, has been replaced because people want to be entertained without sacrificing so much time. I really don't want to get into another argument about which battle system takes more 'skill' to play, but we can agree to call it a preference rather than stating that one is better, harder or more engaging than the other.

Whales wrote:
Give me an MMORPG whereby reaching level 10 means something, and hitting the levelcap makes you sad because you know the best part of your journey is over, and I'll show you an MMORPG I'll subscribe to for life.


What exactly did level 10 mean in XI? I can understand that through the rose colored goggles you can see the excitement of traveling off to distant lands, teaming up with other adventurers to slaughter crabs and bunnies and collecting items for your subjob quest. Then later on teaming up to vanquish foes for your advance job quest. Yeah, life was good back then, but you take the bad with the good.

I saw endless hours of looking for group. An endless army of WAR/WHM trying and failing to tank properly. Ridiculous ability macros. WHM and BRD seeking with stipulations in their /seacom about being the only player allowed to lot [insert item here]. I remember waiting for people to travel to camp only to have to wait, you guessed it, even longer for them to travel back again because they were not willing to cough up a few gil to set their homepoint. Finally I collected my SJ items and got the **** out of the dunes. Perhaps everyone was just a desert noob and the training wheels come off after that?

Not even close.

Three more words: Garliage. Citadel. Trains.

Still again, three more words: Crawlers. Nest. Trains.

Spamming /shout for a tele to get to a group that disbands 5 minutes after you get to camp. Grouping with players who don't understand the simple mechanics of skillchains, magic bursts, provoke, trick attack ect. I could make a list of things I didn't miss about those days that is just as long as the things I liked.

I see where you're coming from and I understand why you feel it was a better experience, but you either lucked out and missed all the bad stuff or you succeeded in blocking it from memory. It wasn't all good.






____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#23 Jan 18 2012 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
334 posts
^ But don't you see? That's part of what made it so good was that it was real. It wasn't always easy. Things didn't always go right. ****, there were times when **** would go so bad that I swore I'd never play the game again (leveling BST springs to mind).

But I always came back. You know why? It wasn't so ******* vanilla. The reason people were proud of their gear was because they went through some heartache to earn it. I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy MMO's for the immersion factor. A game that is too casual and easy lacks that immersion factor. Adventure isn't something where anyone can succeed the first time every time at every single facet of the game. These's no adventure in that at all.

I keep hearing people say that FFXI took no skill and was just button mashing. Those are people that never played through ZM and CoP in their entirety. FFXI had TONS of strategy if you looked in the right places. I worked on strategy for an entire week so my static could beat the airship. AND WE WERE EXCITED WHEN WE WON. It felt good to beat something hard.

I don't give a **** if that stuff was too much for the "casual gamer." There's no sense of accomplishment attached to something so "casual" that any person with a pulse and a controller can do it. NCLB has already ruined our schools, please don't force it upon our video games too.
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#24 Jan 18 2012 at 8:47 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
^ But don't you see? That's part of what made it so good was that it was real. It wasn't always easy. Things didn't always go right. ****, there were times when sh*t would go so bad that I swore I'd never play the game again (leveling BST springs to mind).

But I always came back. You know why? It wasn't so ******* vanilla. The reason people were proud of their gear was because they went through some heartache to earn it. I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy MMO's for the immersion factor. A game that is too casual and easy lacks that immersion factor. Adventure isn't something where anyone can succeed the first time every time at every single facet of the game. These's no adventure in that at all.

I keep hearing people say that FFXI took no skill and was just button mashing. Those are people that never played through ZM and CoP in their entirety. FFXI had TONS of strategy if you looked in the right places. I worked on strategy for an entire week so my static could beat the airship. AND WE WERE EXCITED WHEN WE WON. It felt good to beat something hard.

I don't give a sh*t if that stuff was too much for the "casual gamer." There's no sense of accomplishment attached to something so "casual" that any person with a pulse and a controller can do it. NCLB has already ruined our schools, please don't force it upon our video games too.


Nice post; and I especially liked your point about adventure: that it "isn't something where anyone can succeed the first time every time at every single facet of the game." Smiley: smile
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#25 Jan 18 2012 at 9:56 PM Rating: Default
****
4,151 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
The reason people were proud of their gear was because they went through some heartache to earn it.


Two problems with this.

1) If you're after the feeling you get people like to call 'sense of achievement', be proud of your accomplishment and not what gear your receive from it.

2) Nearly any other MMO I have played since XI has as much if not more 'pain in the ***' factor to it whether it be timesink, RNG battle or simply gathering a group of people competent enough to move out of fire.

ChaChaJaJa wrote:
A game that is too casual and easy lacks that immersion factor. Adventure isn't something where anyone can succeed the first time every time at every single facet of the game. These's no adventure in that at all.

A game being casual has nothing to do with immersion. It's completely possible to be drawn into a story for a quest that only requires some travel in a short period of time. Conversely, some quests immersion are almost ruined by the amount of time it takes. Some quests took so long waiting on some outside conditions to be met that I'd nearly forgotten the story by the time I was able to complete it.

Also, the amount of time you spend doing something is independent of the difficulty of completing it. The 'airship battle' you mentioned can be finished inside an hour. It takes 5 hours of camping Brutus to get a chocobo license.

ChaChaJaJa wrote:
I keep hearing people say that FFXI took no skill and was just button mashing. Those are people that never played through ZM and CoP in their entirety. FFXI had TONS of strategy if you looked in the right places. I worked on strategy for an entire week so my static could beat the airship. AND WE WERE EXCITED WHEN WE WON. It felt good to beat something hard.

5 basic strategies can be used to defeat 99% of the larger encounters in XI. Small group encounters were a bit more tricky, but only because of group composition. There are multiples more jobs in XI than classes in other MMOs so there are going to be more combos that don't work as well, but unlike those other MMOs, XI allows you to change your job at will so it's almost a non-issue.

I don't disagree with your point about adventure unless you're making the distinction between easy and hard solely based on the amount of time required to complete it; in which case I couldn't disagree more.


Edited, Jan 18th 2012 10:58pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#26 Jan 19 2012 at 5:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
334 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
The reason people were proud of their gear was because they went through some heartache to earn it.


Two problems with this.

1) If you're after the feeling you get people like to call 'sense of achievement', be proud of your accomplishment and not what gear your receive from it.


Edited, Jan 18th 2012 10:58pm by FilthMcNasty



Filth, no offense, but it's clear you are just here to argue. If you believe the bolded text you are either an aspiring prophet or a dumbass.

Why do they give out medals at the Olympics? Why do they give you a diploma when you get a degree? Why do they give rings to the members of championship sports teams? Why do they give you a T-shirt when you eat a 5lb cheeseburger?

1st function: It's the proof of what you achieved for the people who weren't there to see you achieve it.
2nd, and more importantly, it's something that, each time you look at it, reminds you of what you accomplished.

Now granted, beating a "tough fight" in a video game isn't in the same league as getting a college degree but humor me here because I've done both. Every time I look at my diploma it reminds me of the good times I had in college, the hard work and the long hours, and the sense of accomplishment I felt when I graduated.

When I look at my Byakko's Haidate, it reminds me of all the good times I had with my friends in sky, and how badly we used to wipe to that cat when we first started, and how good it felt the first time I equipped those pants.

My favorite part of that gear was the friendships I forged while earning it. And every time I equipped it I was reminded of that.

So spare me your self righteous, condescending BS about the achievement not the trophy. Obviously anyone over the age of 12 knows that. But honest people will admit that they also like the trophy that goes with it. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

As for the rest of your points, TL;DR because you're obviously just trolling me.
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#27 Jan 19 2012 at 7:08 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,151 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
Filth, no offense, but it's clear you are just here to argue. If you believe the bolded text you are either an aspiring prophet or a dumbass.

What does prophecy have to do with anything? I just think 'sense of accomplishment' should be reserved for the feeling you get from the achievement rather than the reward.

ChaChaJaJa wrote:
Why do they give you a diploma when you get a degree?

I got a diploma from high school. I'm pretty sure degrees are reserved for higher education, but I get your point.

I didn't go to school for a piece of paper, I went for the education and the experience. I didn't compete in athletics for medals and trophies, I competed for the sake of competition. I'm not going to pretend that there are people who don't only care about the spoils, but those people aren't talking about the same thing when they say 'sense of accomplishment'.

ChaChaJaJa wrote:
When I look at my Byakko's Haidate, it reminds me of all the good times I had with my friends in sky, and how badly we used to wipe to that cat when we first started, and how good it felt the first time I equipped those pants.

I like storytime. Maybe my story will shed a little light on why I feel the way I do.

I also had good times in my sky LS. We had our ups and downs, but at the end of the day we all had fun and that's the point right? I was that guy who did all the research. I uploaded maps to all the spawns on our LS website. I always brought extra meds for people to sneak around and avoid death. I was just that guy.

Anyway, the leader of the shell saw fit to award me with the first LS Osode drop. It was supposed to be a reward for the work I'd put in trying to organize the LS, but to be honest my reward was being able to participate. I didn't have the best attendance because I was in school and it later became an issue. There were a few people upset that I got the first Osode because my attendance wasn't stellar so I promptly returned it.

I didn't really care all that much about it and to be honest, it was @#%^ing horrid looking. My point is that it isn't all about the gear for me and I'm sure for many others. I play for entertainment, not spoils. If I felt like I had something to prove to someone I had the title to back up the story.

Quote:
So spare me your self righteous, condescending BS about the achievement not the trophy.

It might sound self-righteous to you, but that's what I did and that's how I operate.

If there was no medal rewarded, do you think athletes would still compete in the olympics? Would you have forgotten all the good times you had in college if you didn't have a degree hanging on your wall to remind you? We can agree to disagree, but I'm not trolling anyone here.

Edited, Jan 19th 2012 8:12pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#28 Jan 19 2012 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
334 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:


ChaChaJaJa wrote:
Why do they give you a diploma when you get a degree?

I got a diploma from high school. I'm pretty sure degrees are reserved for higher education, but I get your point.


Edited, Jan 19th 2012 8:12pm by FilthMcNasty


di·plo·ma (d-plm)
n.
1. A document issued by an educational institution, such as a university, testifying that the recipient has earned a degree or has successfully completed a particular course of study.
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#29 Jan 19 2012 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:


ChaChaJaJa wrote:
Why do they give you a diploma when you get a degree?

I got a diploma from high school. I'm pretty sure degrees are reserved for higher education, but I get your point.


Edited, Jan 19th 2012 8:12pm by FilthMcNasty


di·plo·ma (d-plm)
n.
1. A document issued by an educational institution, such as a university, testifying that the recipient has earned a degree or has successfully completed a particular course of study.


So why are you two having a ******* contest again about definitions?
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#30 Jan 19 2012 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
If there was no medal rewarded, do you think athletes would still compete in the olympics? Would you have forgotten all the good times you had in college if you didn't have a degree hanging on your wall to remind you?

And this is why he called you a prophet. You have apparently adopted a particularly monastic sense of accomplishment. That's nice. We're all very proud of you. The rest of us like to have stuff that proves what we did and reminds us of doing it.
#31FilthMcNasty, Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 10:20 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Gotta be right about something?
#32 Jan 19 2012 at 10:31 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,151 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
If there was no medal rewarded, do you think athletes would still compete in the olympics? Would you have forgotten all the good times you had in college if you didn't have a degree hanging on your wall to remind you?

And this is why he called you a prophet. You have apparently adopted a particularly monastic sense of accomplishment. That's nice. We're all very proud of you. The rest of us like to have stuff that proves what we did and reminds us of doing it.

Monastic? Whatever. All I said was that the accomplishment I get isn't connected to the reward.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#33 Jan 19 2012 at 10:34 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,232 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:


ChaChaJaJa wrote:
Why do they give you a diploma when you get a degree?

I got a diploma from high school. I'm pretty sure degrees are reserved for higher education, but I get your point.


Edited, Jan 19th 2012 8:12pm by FilthMcNasty


di·plo·ma (d-plm)
n.
1. A document issued by an educational institution, such as a university, testifying that the recipient has earned a degree or has successfully completed a particular course of study.


So why are you two having a ******* contest again about definitions?

Gotta be right about something?

I'd forgotten that they do call degrees that you get from technical programs or trade schools diplomas. I went for BS so it wasn't called a diploma. /shrug


Wow... db much?

You receive a degree for your studies, and hang a diploma on the wall.

Well, I guess YOU wouldn't since you're not all about the rewards, right? But that's what most people do.



Edited, Jan 19th 2012 8:47pm by LebargeX
#34 Jan 20 2012 at 3:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
852 posts
I don't know... I get a sense of accomplishment from the effort I put into my real life. Games are just engaging entertainment for me.

YMMV.
____________________________
#35 Jan 20 2012 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
****
4,151 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Well, I guess YOU wouldn't since you're not all about the rewards, right? But that's what most people do.


I didn't draw the comparison between downing a boss in a video game and graduating from university. I played sports for the competition, not the trophies. I went to school for the education, not the diploma. I play video games for the fun and entertainment, not the rewards.

That isn't to say that I don't like trophies, diplomas and virtual gear but it isn't the reason I do it. If I were going to be proud of something related to a video game then it would be for something I was able to accomplish and not that the RNG smiled on me that day.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#36 Jan 20 2012 at 3:08 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
KaneKitty wrote:

Nice post; and I especially liked your point about adventure: that it "isn't something where anyone can succeed the first time every time at every single facet of the game." Smiley: smile


This - A big reason I am cancelling my SWOTOR account. The big reason I cancelled my RIFT account. The reason I may be done with MMO's.

Everything listed above in prior posts(good and bad) regarding FFXI will keep me from ever really enjoying another MMO.

sad.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#37 Jan 20 2012 at 3:34 PM Rating: Excellent
I'm just glad that FFXI is such an awesome game! If FFXIV really does die at V 2.0, I'm absolutely certain FFXI will still be going strong.

Seriously, I wonder if SE has people laying the groundwork for some serious expansions of FFXI? They could guarantee themselves an enviable MMORPG income for years to come. Can't imagine they'd try to pump up FFXI too much though at the expense of totally drowning out FFXIV.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#38 Jan 20 2012 at 3:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Thayos wrote:
I'm just glad that FFXI is such an awesome game! If FFXIV really does die at V 2.0, I'm absolutely certain FFXI will still be going strong.

Seriously, I wonder if SE has people laying the groundwork for some serious expansions of FFXI? They could guarantee themselves an enviable MMORPG income for years to come.


Between those crazy "PS2 limitations" and an apparent "mini-expansion only" policy, I unfortunately don't see SE bothering with something possessing the scope of Aht Urhgan ever again. After all, even Wings of the Goddess took them, what, nearly three years to finally finish? And that expansion added only two new jobs and made use mostly of re-skinned zones.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#39 Jan 20 2012 at 5:14 PM Rating: Good
14 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
^ But don't you see? That's part of what made it so good was that it was real. It wasn't always easy. Things didn't always go right. ****, there were times when sh*t would go so bad that I swore I'd never play the game again (leveling BST springs to mind).

But I always came back. You know why? It wasn't so ******* vanilla. The reason people were proud of their gear was because they went through some heartache to earn it. I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy MMO's for the immersion factor. A game that is too casual and easy lacks that immersion factor. Adventure isn't something where anyone can succeed the first time every time at every single facet of the game. These's no adventure in that at all.

I keep hearing people say that FFXI took no skill and was just button mashing. Those are people that never played through ZM and CoP in their entirety. FFXI had TONS of strategy if you looked in the right places. I worked on strategy for an entire week so my static could beat the airship. AND WE WERE EXCITED WHEN WE WON. It felt good to beat something hard.

I don't give a sh*t if that stuff was too much for the "casual gamer." There's no sense of accomplishment attached to something so "casual" that any person with a pulse and a controller can do it. NCLB has already ruined our schools, please don't force it upon our video games too.


I had to login to actually reply to this post even though it's rare for me to do so. Thank you for capturing the exact reason why FFXI was so good for so many of us. Reading this really made me remember why I loved that game so much. It was the trials and tribulations that came with playing in a dangerous environment in all of those places, the incredibly difficult teamwork that came with earning the SJ pieces on our original characters before people could power us through them.

That is what was missing for me in XIV.
#40 Jan 20 2012 at 5:55 PM Rating: Excellent
**
325 posts
Vashteera wrote:
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
^ But don't you see? That's part of what made it so good was that it was real. It wasn't always easy. Things didn't always go right. ****, there were times when sh*t would go so bad that I swore I'd never play the game again (leveling BST springs to mind).

But I always came back. You know why? It wasn't so ******* vanilla. The reason people were proud of their gear was because they went through some heartache to earn it. I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy MMO's for the immersion factor. A game that is too casual and easy lacks that immersion factor. Adventure isn't something where anyone can succeed the first time every time at every single facet of the game. These's no adventure in that at all.

I keep hearing people say that FFXI took no skill and was just button mashing. Those are people that never played through ZM and CoP in their entirety. FFXI had TONS of strategy if you looked in the right places. I worked on strategy for an entire week so my static could beat the airship. AND WE WERE EXCITED WHEN WE WON. It felt good to beat something hard.

I don't give a sh*t if that stuff was too much for the "casual gamer." There's no sense of accomplishment attached to something so "casual" that any person with a pulse and a controller can do it. NCLB has already ruined our schools, please don't force it upon our video games too.


I had to login to actually reply to this post even though it's rare for me to do so. Thank you for capturing the exact reason why FFXI was so good for so many of us. Reading this really made me remember why I loved that game so much. It was the trials and tribulations that came with playing in a dangerous environment in all of those places, the incredibly difficult teamwork that came with earning the SJ pieces on our original characters before people could power us through them.

That is what was missing for me in XIV.


I have the same feelings about FFXI and I know deep down in my heart FFXIV probably won't ever give me that feeling of satisfaction in accomplishing something as FFXI did, but I can hope...

No, I don't want XIV to be XI-2, I want a new and different game but I do want that feeling that I truly did an awesome job playing and was well rewarded.


Edited, Jan 20th 2012 7:06pm by Yelta
#41 Jan 22 2012 at 4:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,691 posts
Quote:
Seriously, I wonder if SE has people laying the groundwork for some serious expansions of FFXI?


Yeah they have a new FFXI expansion in the works, they've hinted at it in the last Zam interview. They simply said it will be unlike anything released before.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)