Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

IGN - 3 Best FF games (and one to avoid - take a guess)Follow

#1 Jan 23 2012 at 4:05 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
575 posts
1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Final Fantasy IV

Worst Final Fantasy game ever? Meh, I shouldn't ruin the shocking surprise...

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1217042p1.html
#2 Jan 23 2012 at 4:08 PM Rating: Decent
******
48,710 posts
Can't take a list that ranks Final Fantasy 7 higher than Final Fantasy 4 serious. 6 is correct at least.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Jan 23 2012 at 4:12 PM Rating: Default
***
3,177 posts
Where is Final Fantasy IX?
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#4 Jan 23 2012 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
I'm shocked none of the Tactics came out, either... (Not that I liked the Tactics, I just know that many people think they're the best thing since sliced bread. I was always more a Shining Force person)

No mention of FF1 either, that's probably even more of a surprise.

Oh yeah, what's that saying about opinions again...?
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#5 Jan 23 2012 at 4:42 PM Rating: Good
**
640 posts
I think I would have liked the PS1 games better if it wasn't because of that dreaded loading time. I think the PS1 ports of the SNES games were worse due to the extreme increase in loading time between each random encounter.
#6 Jan 23 2012 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,232 posts
Solonuke wrote:
I think I would have liked the PS1 games better if it wasn't because of that dreaded loading time. I think the PS1 ports of the SNES games were worse due to the extreme increase in loading time between each random encounter.


Try downloading them onto your PS3 from the PSN store ($10). I've been playing FFV, and it's pretty fast :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#7 Jan 23 2012 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Yeah, even on PSP I haven't really noticed any load times for VI... but then again I haven't been playing it a lot.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#8 Jan 23 2012 at 6:11 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Woot! VI >> All FF! say what you want about IGN, they know their History.
____________________________
MUTED
#9 Jan 23 2012 at 6:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
FFXIV sure did rank high on the list.
____________________________


#10 Jan 23 2012 at 6:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
double post

Edited, Jan 23rd 2012 9:29pm by tpgsoldier
____________________________


#11 Jan 23 2012 at 8:06 PM Rating: Good
It's hard to argue with VI and VII being at number 1 and 2. Yes, we can all have our opinions on which is best, but in terms of being revolutionary for the genre, those two take the cake. VI was HUGE in terms of characters, side quests and possessed a great story line, there really was nothing else to ask for.

VII was the one that brought RPG's into the mainstream, the number of copies sold shows that. Most of my friends could care less about RPG's prior to VII, but after that, many became interested in the genre and picked up many more RPG's. The only thing I would bicker about with VII was the poor translation at times. The rest in all honesty was pretty good, huge world, nice cast, good story, fun materia system, etc.

These two games are arguably the two most popular of the series. I hear people say they liked VIII, or IX, or which ever number, but every other number in the series always had a bigger negative crowd. I despised VIII, was it a bad game, no, I just didn't like it. IX to me seemed to play it safe, though others loved the fact that it went back to it's roots. These statements though are just my opinion, where as the sales figures for VI and VII speak for themselves.

Final Fantasy VII (9.8 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)
Final Fantasy VIII (8.15 million)
Final Fantasy IX (5.30 million)

Final Fantasy VI sold 3.42 million, which was only bested by 10 other games on the system. People can hate all they want on VII, but really, almost 10,000,000 copies sold...some people liked it.
____________________________

#12 Jan 23 2012 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
It's hard to argue with VI and VII being at number 1 and 2. Yes, we can all have our opinions on which is best, but in terms of being revolutionary for the genre, those two take the cake. VI was HUGE in terms of characters, side quests and possessed a great story line, there really was nothing else to ask for.

VII was the one that brought RPG's into the mainstream, the number of copies sold shows that. Most of my friends could care less about RPG's prior to VII, but after that, many became interested in the genre and picked up many more RPG's. The only thing I would bicker about with VII was the poor translation at times. The rest in all honesty was pretty good, huge world, nice cast, good story, fun materia system, etc.

These two games are arguably the two most popular of the series. I hear people say they liked VIII, or IX, or which ever number, but every other number in the series always had a bigger negative crowd. I despised VIII, was it a bad game, no, I just didn't like it. IX to me seemed to play it safe, though others loved the fact that it went back to it's roots. These statements though are just my opinion, where as the sales figures for VI and VII speak for themselves.

Final Fantasy VII (9.8 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)
Final Fantasy VIII (8.15 million)
Final Fantasy IX (5.30 million)

Final Fantasy VI sold 3.42 million, which was only bested by 10 other games on the system. People can hate all they want on VII, but really, almost 10,000,000 copies sold...some people liked it.


There where a lot and i mean a LOT! Of factors that contributed on FFVII Success, it was not a bad game by any means, but it is not the best of the series, and not even close to be on the top 5 RPGS of all time, the game was released at the right time, it had an unprecedented marketing strategy from Square, the game was being marketed for 3 months in Tv, magazines, comercials, playboy, and comics, that was unheard of back in 1997, also take in consideration that 95% of the time, the FF ****** that debuts a console outsells any other FF ****** on that same console, regardless of how good the ****** might be.
____________________________
MUTED
#13 Jan 24 2012 at 12:48 AM Rating: Good
**
542 posts
Considering the iconic status many fans hold FFVII to after all these years, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see that many thought it was a genuinely great game. For example, FFVIII sold nearly as much, and it's not talked about in nearly the same regard.

For a game that was so well liked at the time, it still creates quite a buzz even today. I've seen FFVII related content talked about more than any other game in the series. The storyline continuity was likely due to the massive fan support. FF debates are easy to get into because a lot of the games have vastly different styles and preferences vary, but I don't see why people try to downplay the appeal FFVII had with many people. It's not the best game for everyone, but it certainly carries a massive amount of appeal even if it isn't your favorite.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not sure if this list is actually ranked or if they just listed their three best in no particular order. I see no indication of either one, but if I'm missing something feel free to point it out.

Edited, Jan 24th 2012 1:56am by Susanoh
#14 Jan 24 2012 at 2:29 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
This article is so pointless, lol.

VII, VI, IV on top? Who would've guessed.
XIV the last? Mind=blown.

Its like IGN wants to take the every opportunity to bash SE these days.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#15 Jan 24 2012 at 2:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
This article is so pointless, lol.

VII, VI, IV on top? Who would've guessed.
XIV the last? Mind=blown.

Its like IGN wants to take the every opportunity to bash SE these days.


Let's be fair. It's not as though they don't make it easy to bash them lately.

Edited, Jan 24th 2012 3:30am by hexaemeron
____________________________
#16 Jan 24 2012 at 2:36 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Let's be fair. It's not as though they don't make it easy to bash them lately.


Well whatever you (don't) consider a dead horse. It's been a year+ and all that needs to be said has been said. Still we get herpderp articles like this.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#17 Jan 24 2012 at 2:39 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Let's be fair. It's not as though they don't make it easy to bash them lately.


Well whatever you (don't) consider a dead horse. It's been a year+ and all that needs to be said has been said. Still we get herpderp articles like this.


Well, as long as there are FF-retrospectives until the end of time, XIV will always and forever be the worst FF-ever, unless god forbid another launches in even worse shape. It's not a dead horse. It's a horse that hasn't been re-animated quickly enough.

Will it be a dead horse in 2021 when they do another retrospective?
____________________________
#18 Jan 24 2012 at 2:46 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Well, as long as there are FF-retrospectives until the end of time, XIV will always and forever be the worst FF-ever, unless god forbid another launches in even worse shape. It's not a dead horse. It's a horse that hasn't been re-animated quickly enough.

Will it be a dead horse in 2021 when they do another retrospective?


It's even more apparent when you look at the way the article is built. "3 best FF's- oh, and in other news, here's the worst one!"

Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones? Dis gon b gud
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#19 Jan 24 2012 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Well, as long as there are FF-retrospectives until the end of time, XIV will always and forever be the worst FF-ever, unless god forbid another launches in even worse shape. It's not a dead horse. It's a horse that hasn't been re-animated quickly enough.

Will it be a dead horse in 2021 when they do another retrospective?


It's even more apparent when you look at the way the article is built. "3 best FF's- oh, and in other news, here's the worst one!"

Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones? Dis gon b gud


Well, the Mayans did say 2012 would be the end of the world... Cheers!
____________________________
#20 Jan 24 2012 at 3:06 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
I'm glad that you aren't hiding your bias. Makes you easier to ignore :D
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#21 Jan 24 2012 at 3:44 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
852 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
I'm glad that you aren't hiding your bias. Makes you easier to ignore :D



I don't think it's bias. It's a LACK of bias. If you simply look at the facts and decisions made for the past several years, there's absolutely nothing to indicate that this will turn around and absolutely no reason to expect SE is somehow suddenly going to pull their heads out of the sand and make a game without baffling design choices, obtuse restrictions and otherwise befuddling or lackluster performance.

And this comes from someone who played FFXI from launch, and mostly loved it.
____________________________
#22 Jan 24 2012 at 8:23 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
828 posts
Personally I'd have put xi in the top 3.

some of the storylines in xi were pretty awesome and i can honestly say that i had a lot of fun playing it. plus it had Shantoto! and in some cases the fact you could share the experience with friends made it even better.

you could smash emerald weapon or ruby weapon on 7 and think meh cool. but then you beat alexander in am44 or smash things like cop6-4s airship fight back in the day and it always felt that bit more rewarding personally.

and imo thats what makes a game great.

and when you looked at sites like ign and mmorpg, in its prime ffxi was pretty **** high up on the top mmos lists.

but yeah on a personal note it was definitely one of the most enjoyable games in the series i've ever played.

____________________________


#23 Jan 24 2012 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Let me start by saying that this is my personal observation from speaking to a relatively small sample set (okay, okay, chatting with my friends) and thus it is entirely possible that I am completely off base here.

I have noticed a strong trend of Final Fantasy players greatly preferring the first Final Fantasy they played over any subsequent game. I would guess that between a good dose of nostalgia and the inevitable comparisons one makes to the first Final Fantasy we play most people are significantly bias toward the first game they play. Certainly, for myself, FFIX is my all time favorite Final Fantasy (I picked a game at random off the Blockbuster shelf, what can I say), even after playing every other numbered game. There is a certain... emotional... attachment to the FFIX that has been lacking in the other games.

I suspect that besides being a genuinely good game, the fact that FFVII brought a significant portion of the current fans to the franchise may be part of why it polls so strongly. For a lot of people, they probably have an actual emotional attachment to the game as the first Final Fantasy they played.
#24 Jan 24 2012 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Hulan wrote:
Let me start by saying that this is my personal observation from speaking to a relatively small sample set (okay, okay, chatting with my friends) and thus it is entirely possible that I am completely off base here.

I have noticed a strong trend of Final Fantasy players greatly preferring the first Final Fantasy they played over any subsequent game. I would guess that between a good dose of nostalgia and the inevitable comparisons one makes to the first Final Fantasy we play most people are significantly bias toward the first game they play. Certainly, for myself, FFIX is my all time favorite Final Fantasy (I picked a game at random off the Blockbuster shelf, what can I say), even after playing every other numbered game. There is a certain... emotional... attachment to the FFIX that has been lacking in the other games.

I suspect that besides being a genuinely good game, the fact that FFVII brought a significant portion of the current fans to the franchise may be part of why it polls so strongly. For a lot of people, they probably have an actual emotional attachment to the game as the first Final Fantasy they played.


I would generally agree with this, but also think that there is some room for manoeuvring. I would amend the claim to read that "the FFs that we play when we are youngest," rather than just simply the first - although, certainly, the first is still highly important. I happen to love VI, VII, and IX, which were among the first ones that I played; yet VIII, which I played when it first came out, does not have the same special memories for some reason. I played anything before V relatively late, and the fact that anyone can stand IV baffles me, lol. So clearly there's merit to your idea.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#25 Jan 24 2012 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
I'm sorry, but out of the Box at it's release... X-2 is THE WORST Final Fantasy. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of similarities between X-2 and 14. Both are pale imitations of their predecessor. Both had more gimmick than game play. But X-2 was wholly unplayable. To call it painful is an understatement at best. While it did have a cult following (lets face it, it was definitely less buggy), it was an insult to the idea of Final Fantasy, and after it's release, I have not played another single player version of the game.
#26 Jan 24 2012 at 11:27 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
My first FF ever, was Mystic Quest... my favorite is VI, followed by XII, IV and VIII.

____________________________
MUTED
#27 Jan 24 2012 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
I would have to agree with Hulan...FFVII(besides XI) has had the most favorable lasting impact on my view of FF. It was my first FF and something about the sights and sounds of moving materia around will be forever seared into my brain.

Ya'll know what I mean...
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#28 Jan 24 2012 at 4:17 PM Rating: Decent
*
140 posts
Whuuuuuuuut? FFIV is only 3rd place?

FFVI should be in 3rd, right behind IV and VII. (If including non-mainline titles, then it gets bumped to 4th behind Tactics.) :|
#29 Jan 24 2012 at 4:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Hulan wrote:
Let me start by saying that this is my personal observation from speaking to a relatively small sample set (okay, okay, chatting with my friends) and thus it is entirely possible that I am completely off base here.

I have noticed a strong trend of Final Fantasy players greatly preferring the first Final Fantasy they played over any subsequent game. I would guess that between a good dose of nostalgia and the inevitable comparisons one makes to the first Final Fantasy we play most people are significantly bias toward the first game they play. Certainly, for myself, FFIX is my all time favorite Final Fantasy (I picked a game at random off the Blockbuster shelf, what can I say), even after playing every other numbered game. There is a certain... emotional... attachment to the FFIX that has been lacking in the other games.

I suspect that besides being a genuinely good game, the fact that FFVII brought a significant portion of the current fans to the franchise may be part of why it polls so strongly. For a lot of people, they probably have an actual emotional attachment to the game as the first Final Fantasy they played.


I'd amend your argument and suggest that this happens with not the first but the first during adolescence.

I think during the formative years we create stronger bonds with things we associate with to create an identity for ourselves.

I'm 30 and my first Final Fantasy was, the first one, I didn't care for it. I played Final Fantasy Legends for Gameboy and I liked that a little better. I liked N/A FF II, then my favorite VI and subsequent VII. VIII was horrible, IX was eh, and X was too linear.

I went back and played the others but none of them resonated as much as VI and VII. And I think there are a lot of reasons both subjective and objective why that was the case.

Plus I think there's a big residual overlap from say, older brothers or sisters who played, who still have the game and whose siblings are playing them now.

But I truly think VI and VII are the best Final Fantasies of all time, and they'd strongly contend with the best JRPG's ever, although they'd have a tough time with games like Xenogears, Suikoden 1/2, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound.
#30 Jan 24 2012 at 5:09 PM Rating: Decent
**
542 posts
SexyHumeTiberius wrote:
Whuuuuuuuut? FFIV is only 3rd place?

FFVI should be in 3rd, right behind IV and VII. (If including non-mainline titles, then it gets bumped to 4th behind Tactics.) :|


Wow, someone who shares my exact views on the top FF games with 100% accuracy. I've never seen that before ever.
#31 Jan 24 2012 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
55 posts
I liked a lot VI. whole history, quest and al lstuff. Loved the characters too.

All around the best... Coliseum part... awesom. Locke and Celes the best, and Kefka... nice evil boss.


Cya.
#32 Jan 24 2012 at 6:09 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Oh FFIV has a special place in my heart, i own every single incarnation of it, it deserves to be in the top 3 stop for main FF ******** but what i hated about it, is the same thing i hated in IX, you fight your entire game this "Evil Guy" just to find in the last part of the game, that the real bad guy is some dude somewhere that you only meet once, and then proceed to whoop his *** <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#33 Jan 24 2012 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
I absolutely loved VIII and IX. VII and VI were great and bring back a lot of good memories for me. I played IV when I was so young I barely remember anything about it other than the Dark Knight turned Paladin and Kain. It was just too long ago.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#34 Jan 24 2012 at 6:57 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Ostia wrote:
Oh FFIV has a special place in my heart, i own every single incarnation of it, it deserves to be in the top 3 stop for main FF ******** but what i hated about it, is the same thing i hated in IX, you fight your entire game this "Evil Guy" just to find in the last part of the game, that the real bad guy is some dude somewhere that you only meet once, and then proceed to whoop his *** <.<


I know I should have finished the game already but that totally needed a spoiler
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#35 Jan 24 2012 at 8:38 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones? Dis gon b gud

Then they'll change the article. Are you really suggesting that they should somehow make a timeless list that never incorporates change? In ten years, should this list still hold up even though six more FF games have been released?

Right now, FFXIV is inarguably the worst of the series. I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.
#36 Jan 26 2012 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
575 posts
Even if FFXIV turns out to be the best MMO ever, doesn't guarantee anyone will even notice at this point.
#37 Jan 26 2012 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones? Dis gon b gud

Then they'll change the article. Are you really suggesting that they should somehow make a timeless list that never incorporates change? In ten years, should this list still hold up even though six more FF games have been released?

Right now, FFXIV is inarguably the worst of the series. I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.



Go to the lodestone forums :) White Knights on crack would beg to differ with you there buddy :D
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#38 Jan 26 2012 at 9:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
283 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones? Dis gon b gud

Then they'll change the article. Are you really suggesting that they should somehow make a timeless list that never incorporates change? In ten years, should this list still hold up even though six more FF games have been released?

Right now, FFXIV is inarguably the worst of the series. I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.



Go to the lodestone forums :) White Knights on crack would beg to differ with you there buddy :D


This brings me back to when Whight Knights where jumping all over every Game sight that did a review of FFXIV. Calling them haters and blind. Crying that they never should of reviewed the game untill it was out for a least 90 days! The sights that did hold off on the review only to come out and give the game low scores where also haters. Affter that 90 days it became, "No one should review this game untill this patch comes out!" And then that patch or the next patch.

Its sad just how long a White Knight will eat the crap soop just praying that the next bite will be the best thing they ever put in there mouth.

At some point and time people are going to have to see that this game has failed and will not become good let alone the best mmo out there!
#39 Jan 27 2012 at 4:27 PM Rating: Excellent
*
67 posts
That's pretty much my list too. Just replace VI with IX. I loved IX to death but VI was kinda meh for me.
#40 Jan 27 2012 at 8:07 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
<.< VI >>>> IX
____________________________
MUTED
#41 Jan 28 2012 at 12:13 AM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
That's pretty much my list too. Just replace VI with IX. I loved IX to death but VI was kinda meh for me.

I loved both, which really goes to show how subjective and inconsistent the whole idea of ranking games is.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't make lists, but it does mean that it's silly to have a conniption when someone else's list isn't the same as yours.

Well, unless you think IV was "meh." That's just crazy talk, and it makes you a bad person. I think it's actually in the bible that you go to **** for disliking FFVI.
#42 Jan 29 2012 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Caesura wrote:
goes to show how subjective and inconsistent the whole idea of ranking games is.


"The three best paintings of all time (and one to avoid)."
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#43 Jan 29 2012 at 2:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones?
That will never, ever happen. Mark it.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#44 Jan 29 2012 at 2:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
bsphil wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones?
That will never, ever happen. Mark it.


Somehow you make it sound like the bar is set high.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#45 Jan 29 2012 at 10:12 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones?
That will never, ever happen. Mark it.


Somehow you make it sound like the bar is set high.


It is, unless your bar is set low.
____________________________
MUTED
#46 Jan 30 2012 at 1:37 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,706 posts
Ostia wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones?
That will never, ever happen. Mark it.


Somehow you make it sound like the bar is set high.


It is, unless your bar is set low.


I don't think SWTOR, TERA and GW2 set the bar high. They're nothing new and SWTOR is a rehash of KOTOR to begin with. Unless you're in the line of thinking that "action battle systems/voice acting" sets the bar high.
____________________________

#47 Jan 30 2012 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
Ostia wrote:
My first FF ever, was Mystic Quest... my favorite is VI, followed by XII, IV and VIII.




Hey i'm with you for XII! I know it gets a TON of sh*t from people, but I feel its a strong entry in the series. My personal list would be VI, IX, Tactics (The first one, not the GBA/DS iterations), then XII. As much as I hate to admit it, considering I am still hopeful the game will turn around, XIV is the worst of the series. Say what you will about mystic quest or X-2 (shudders), but they weren't released incomplete broken messes that XIV was and in many cases still is. I'm still hopeful that will change, especially considering i'm paying to play it now, but there is no denying it earned the title it got.


Edited, Jan 30th 2012 3:06pm by Ipwnrice
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#48 Jan 30 2012 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
14 posts
saw this article a few days ago. it's all subjective. i feel like most people's favourite FF is usually their first.

the list is ok.

my personal least favourite was FFXII. but i don't think its a terrible game, i just couldn't get into it!
#49 Jan 30 2012 at 4:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones?
That will never, ever happen. Mark it.


Somehow you make it sound like the bar is set high.


It is, unless your bar is set low.


I don't think SWTOR, TERA and GW2 set the bar high. They're nothing new and SWTOR is a rehash of KOTOR to begin with. Unless you're in the line of thinking that "action battle systems/voice acting" sets the bar high.


Yeah, who needs immersion when you can just grind, right?
____________________________
#50 Jan 30 2012 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones?
That will never, ever happen. Mark it.


Somehow you make it sound like the bar is set high.


It is, unless your bar is set low.


I don't think SWTOR, TERA and GW2 set the bar high. They're nothing new and SWTOR is a rehash of KOTOR to begin with. Unless you're in the line of thinking that "action battle systems/voice acting" sets the bar high.


Well GW2 is not even out yet, so who knows what surprises they got, and to call Swtor a rehash of Kotor is pretty silly, Swotor is based and a continuation of the Kotor series, obviously they are meant to be related, on the other hand FFXIV is a stand alone entry that is a rehash of FFXI and every other entry in the series, for example: FFVI they have the entire empire vs the resistance gimick going on, even the magitek theme of the empire, and how a meteor will reshape the world etc etc, sounds very VI/VII to me.

And i agree that they have not set the bar as high as wow perhaps did in it's day, but they have set the bar higher than it was, now can XIV reach or surpass that, in my OPINION doubtful, Se does not has the talent it had back in the day, where they where setting the bar as high as possible in the RPG genre, and as far as their MMORPG record, they have never set any bars, they have been more than glad to stand by the standard of the era"FFXI for example did nothing new, it did everything EQ did just prettier".

____________________________
MUTED
#51 Jan 30 2012 at 5:40 PM Rating: Decent
**
542 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Whats gonna happen once XIV ends up being one of the best ones?
That will never, ever happen. Mark it.


Somehow you make it sound like the bar is set high.


It is, unless your bar is set low.


I don't think SWTOR, TERA and GW2 set the bar high. They're nothing new and SWTOR is a rehash of KOTOR to begin with. Unless you're in the line of thinking that "action battle systems/voice acting" sets the bar high.


Honestly, why judge a game that isn't even released yet? Could you possibly show yourself to be any more biased?
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)