Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

YoshiP sure is a sickly little fellowFollow

#1 Feb 08 2012 at 6:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
The flu this time. Its kinda starting to sound like a sickness excuse every time there is a delay.
____________________________


#2 Feb 08 2012 at 9:48 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
Chances are, if only Yoshi is sick, it would have no impact on delays whatsoever.

Especially since he can likely answer questions from home or simply log in VPN or something.

If there are delays, it's the team's fault, never just one individual, which is why I never understood the hate and joy that came from changing the last producer.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#3 Feb 08 2012 at 10:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
Docent42 wrote:
If there are delays, it's the team's fault, never just one individual, which is why I never understood the hate and joy that came from changing the last producer.


For delays? Not so much. But the overall quality of the product? You'd better believe it matters.

As someone who has been the project lead of several large development cycles of taking ideas from concept to market, I can tell you the person in charge matters tremendously. While the team is a large chunk of the factor behind things such as deliverables, scope and timeframe execution, there are but a few key individuals who set the entire tone and quality of the product being created.

For instance my team's specialty was UX and design. While I shared coders along side other project leaders, what my team turned out was never the same as my fellow project leads even though we shared the same base team.

We're not talking about a monotonous piece of software here, this product has a look and feel behind everything it does, as well as an entire philosophy behind its direction. The person in charge determines all of that.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#4 Feb 08 2012 at 10:51 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,949 posts
Whales wrote:
Docent42 wrote:
If there are delays, it's the team's fault, never just one individual, which is why I never understood the hate and joy that came from changing the last producer.


For delays? Not so much. But the overall quality of the product? You'd better believe it matters.

As someone who has been the project lead of several large development cycles of taking ideas from concept to market, I can tell you the person in charge matters tremendously. While the team is a large chunk of the factor behind things such as deliverables, scope and timeframe execution, there are but a few key individuals who set the entire tone and quality of the product being created.

For instance my team's specialty was UX and design. While I shared coders along side other project leaders, what my team turned out was never the same as my fellow project leads even though we shared the same base team.

We're not talking about a monotonous piece of software here, this product has a look and feel behind everything it does, as well as an entire philosophy behind its direction. The person in charge determines all of that.

All I'll add here is that for the last 8 years I've worked in the video game industry, the quality of games delivered has way more to show about the general team synergy and time, effort and overtime put by team members than of the team's producer. The guy who decides that there's a bit more polish needed on controls, graphics, effects or gameplay balance isn't the producer, it's the designer, engineer or scrum leader in charge of that feature. The producer's role is to respect deadlines, budget and staffing constraint more than anything, unless the team is small enough for the producer to also act as one of the former functions in the project, or that he's motivated enough to get his own hands dirty.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#5 Feb 08 2012 at 11:14 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
562 posts
Docent42 wrote:
All I'll add here is that for the last 8 years I've worked in the video game industry, the quality of games delivered has way more to show about the general team synergy and time, effort and overtime put by team members than of the team's producer. The guy who decides that there's a bit more polish needed on controls, graphics, effects or gameplay balance isn't the producer, it's the designer, engineer or scrum leader in charge of that feature. The producer's role is to respect deadlines, budget and staffing constraint more than anything, unless the team is small enough for the producer to also act as one of the former functions in the project, or that he's motivated enough to get his own hands dirty.


Ah, I see where you're coming from and perhaps my mistake was considering experience from other industries. In my area of expertise the producer always dictates the quality - the PMs control the deadlines while the VP of the department/division is the one in charge of budgets and staff. I failed to make the correlation of VP to Producer because our VPs are never public facing and would never be discussed outside of the company as transitional from project to project.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#6 Feb 09 2012 at 12:41 AM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
It's to provide an excuse for delays. Watch, it will be delayed until mid-March.
#7 Feb 09 2012 at 9:20 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Of course he's a sickly fellow. In addition his frequent self-victimization (used as an attempt to dissuade criticism of the extremely slow patches), he practically drinks liquidized caffeine-cigarettes and adheres to a sleep schedule little different than a cocaine addict.

The strange thing about it all, though, is that I've never heard a developer of another MMO reveal such a crazy schedule and still only plod through a small handful of relatively minor fixes given an entire year and a half. All I'm saying is that at least a meth head manages to meticulously clean the entire house in under a day. >_>

Oh, well, it's not like I hope he stays sick or anything. *inserts get-well card* :P
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#8 Feb 09 2012 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Omg Kane!!! Lol. Wow. That is all.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#9 Feb 09 2012 at 12:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Of course he's a sickly fellow. In addition his frequent self-victimization (used as an attempt to dissuade criticism of the extremely slow patches), he practically drinks liquidized caffeine-cigarettes and adheres to a sleep schedule little different than a cocaine addict.

The strange thing about it all, though, is that I've never heard a developer of another MMO reveal such a crazy schedule and still only plod through a small handful of relatively minor fixes given an entire year and a half. All I'm saying is that at least a meth head manages to meticulously clean the entire house in under a day. >_>

Oh, well, it's not like I hope he stays sick or anything. *inserts get-well card* :P


o____O

Well. I'm hoping the lack of progress in the current 1.whatever versions they've been pumping out is because they've been doing a great job pouring all the love into the 2.0 version where it belongs. I really, really hope so.

But yeah, I'm surprised Yoshi isn't sick more often given that he never sleeps. I mean, you just can't do that for a year and not have it catch up with you.
#10 Feb 09 2012 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Of course he's a sickly fellow. In addition his frequent self-victimization (used as an attempt to dissuade criticism of the extremely slow patches), he practically drinks liquidized caffeine-cigarettes and adheres to a sleep schedule little different than a cocaine addict.

The strange thing about it all, though, is that I've never heard a developer of another MMO reveal such a crazy schedule and still only plod through a small handful of relatively minor fixes given an entire year and a half. All I'm saying is that at least a meth head manages to meticulously clean the entire house in under a day. >_>

Oh, well, it's not like I hope he stays sick or anything. *inserts get-well card* :P


Couldn't have said it better myself.
____________________________
#11 Feb 09 2012 at 12:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Man you guys are brutal Smiley: lol
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#12 Feb 10 2012 at 7:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Docent42 wrote:
Chances are, if only Yoshi is sick, it would have no impact on delays whatsoever.

Especially since he can likely answer questions from home or simply log in VPN or something.

If there are delays, it's the team's fault, never just one individual, which is why I never understood the hate and joy that came from changing the last producer.



Because the producer is the commander of the show. If the producer isn't on top of his game, the production isn't on top of it's game.
#13 Feb 10 2012 at 7:26 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
~double post on accident

Edited, Feb 10th 2012 8:26pm by je355804
#14 Feb 10 2012 at 8:54 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Wint wrote:
Man you guys are brutal Smiley: lol


You just now figuring this out? O.o; However I agree...the WoW forums people are much much nicer...and can take sarcasm :) Here...I fear everytime I make a post :P

But seriously...Yoshi should try and relax a bit...a job is not worth dying for...same goes for the staff...I understand they are working under time constraints, but jeez.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#15 Feb 10 2012 at 11:31 PM Rating: Excellent
**
542 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Of course he's a sickly fellow. In addition his frequent self-victimization (used as an attempt to dissuade criticism of the extremely slow patches), he practically drinks liquidized caffeine-cigarettes and adheres to a sleep schedule little different than a cocaine addict.

The strange thing about it all, though, is that I've never heard a developer of another MMO reveal such a crazy schedule and still only plod through a small handful of relatively minor fixes given an entire year and a half. All I'm saying is that at least a meth head manages to meticulously clean the entire house in under a day. >_>

Oh, well, it's not like I hope he stays sick or anything. *inserts get-well card* :P


lol, I cracked up reading this. You sir, get a rate up.
#16 Feb 11 2012 at 12:09 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,726 posts
Long hours, perhaps no heat in winter outside business hours*, and somebody's pet Malboro bad-breathing on his neck, it's no wonder he gets sick so often. Though working with chocobos so often, he might need to watch out for catching horse-bird flu.

Quote:
The strange thing about it all, though, is that I've never heard a developer of another MMO reveal such a crazy schedule and still only plod through a small handful of relatively minor fixes given an entire year and a half. All I'm saying is that at least a meth head manages to meticulously clean the entire house in under a day. >_>

There's something weird going on/been going on at Square-Enix. As noted, his reign in FFXIV has been surpisingly uneventful for the length of time and the amount of change needed, but also FFXIV pre-Yoshi took nearly 6 years and they had so little to show for it. Square of the early '00s took 2 1/2 years to develop FFXI and the whole online architecture and had a lot more to show with FFXI at launch and even FFXI in beta, which was 2 years in (and word is development ramped up significantly when Chrono Cross' translation into English was finished, which puts it at a little over 1 year). Either Tanaka decayed or the company decayed (or both). Tanaka's FFIII DS turned out fine. And it's beyond just him because FFXII under Matsuo was seriously drifting with its 4 year development. This is even beyond the quality questions arising from FFX -> FFXIII and Kitase/Toriyama essentially taking over FF and Ito, Kitase's natural counterbalance, being sequestered in some secluded cloister in SE headquarters (Kitase= mr. movie/graphics, Ito= mr. gameplay, Toriyama= mr. FPS/I hate RPGs, Matsuo= mr. tactics).


*: There's a great interview with the lead developer for the NES game Kid Icarus. He noted how the game was made in autumn and the heat gets turned off at the end of the business day, and he worked many a night in the office, often slept in there programming the game and there were some chilly nights then. This had quite an influence on the game, World 2 (the overworld) being very icy and hot springs being used to replenish Pit's HP. Japan is very different from the US in terms of heating. Central heat isn't nearly as prevalent. They still use room heaters and heated tables. And there's probably something about eggplants at Nintendo that they found their way into a number of games, evolving to their most dangerous form in Kid Icarus, the dreaded Eggplant Wizard, the deadly yin to the deadly yang of the Metroid

I'd expect some of his illness(es) to work their way into the game somehow. Just like with above, the Final Fantasy Legend trilogy on Gameboy, particularly 2 & 3 had a lot of character in enemy names. FFL3 had 1 enemy named after a clown statue outside an Osaka restaurant and several enemies with names very specific to Japan (a band hired to promote a business, the name of a stand-up comedy corporation, a brand name of fireworks, bosses named from various anime characters or Sentai-style show villains etc), given bland names in English. FFL2 had a series of robot enemies named after the mecha/robot anime the developers watched as kids and there was a Virus enemy family. Most had typical names, but one's name in Japanese was the name of an outbreak that affected Japan when the developers were kids, or if they weren't born yet, older siblings. It would kind of be the equivalent in English of naming an enemy Chickenpox, or going older, Measles, Mumps, Polio.
____________________________
=================================================
Somewhere out there, there is a road with 2 signs on it. One says "No Trespassing". The sign right next to it says "FREE KITTENS".
=================================================
#17 Feb 11 2012 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,703 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Wint wrote:
Man you guys are brutal Smiley: lol


You just now figuring this out? O.o; However I agree...the WoW forums people are much much nicer...and can take sarcasm :) Here...I fear everytime I make a post :P

But seriously...Yoshi should try and relax a bit...a job is not worth dying for...same goes for the staff...I understand they are working under time constraints, but jeez.


If people didn't complain about every single thing (yet we haven't gotten complaints about the sky being the wrong shade of blue yet) the team probably could relax.

But the self-entitlement of people keeps them beyond busy lol.
____________________________

#18 Feb 11 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Theonehio wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Wint wrote:
Man you guys are brutal Smiley: lol


You just now figuring this out? O.o; However I agree...the WoW forums people are much much nicer...and can take sarcasm :) Here...I fear everytime I make a post :P

But seriously...Yoshi should try and relax a bit...a job is not worth dying for...same goes for the staff...I understand they are working under time constraints, but jeez.


If people didn't complain about every single thing (yet we haven't gotten complaints about the sky being the wrong shade of blue yet) the team probably could relax.

But the self-entitlement of people keeps them beyond busy lol.


No, it's not self-entitlement. The game at launch was a complete wreck with no system or idea fully released, much less realized well. Of course there will be complaints.
____________________________
#19 Feb 11 2012 at 1:13 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
No, it's not self-entitlement.


I'm not so sure about that: I think that I'm entitled to a decent game if that game is promoted in such a way as to lead me to expect that it's at least functional and somewhat well-realized, and if I pay for a copy of that game. And while I fully expect someone to retort with the ever-popular caveat emptor, I nevertheless maintain that there are certain basic features to which the buyer of any product or service should be entitled - at least when they have videos, promises, interviews, pictures, and diagrams that conclude such. Promoting your game with such promises is an entrance into a contract of trust, a contract that stipulates some measure of gratification of those words imparted - and it also confers unto the buyer some small right of entitlement. Being a member of a company should not excuse one from misrepresentation. Perhaps these beliefs make me a bad capitalist but, what else can I say, I'm posting from Canada, comrade. :P
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#20 Feb 11 2012 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Kane, it's called ripping off its customers or false adveristisement... "Here play our awesome game!! Oops sorry we forgot to tell you it really sucks at the moment. No refunds! Especially on that 1.5k+ shiney rig you just built to run our hog of an engine -_- bait and switch... Bait and switch... Lol

Again, regardless, job < health. I would prefer they just take it offline, take their time fixing the game and rerelease it without killing themselves.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#21 Feb 11 2012 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I would prefer they just take it offline, take their time fixing the game and rerelease it without killing themselves.


As a die-hard Square-Enix fanboi, I have faith that SE will find both a way to take it offline and kill themselves!
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#22 Feb 11 2012 at 4:18 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
I would prefer they just take it offline, take their time fixing the game and rerelease it without killing themselves.


As a die-hard Square-Enix fanboi, I have faith that SE will find both a way to take it offline and kill themselves!


As cynical and get funny that statement is...Why do I believe there is some truth behind it??
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)