Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Thinking about a second try...Follow

#1 Feb 23 2012 at 11:03 PM Rating: Good
5 posts
Hey Guys,

im sure this has been thrown out there about 1000000000 times since the game was launched, and im sorry ahead of time. I was curious about the progress the Square-Enix team has made with FFXIV. Im in a rut with MMO's becoming very tired of SWTOR quickly. I've always been a fan of final fantasy but don't want to waste my time trying again if it's still in it's period of rebuild. I only lasted about 3 weeks into launch and could not stand it, so im sure good things have happened. If anyone has any input that would be awesome and totally appreciated :)
#2 Feb 24 2012 at 12:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
If you didn't like it before, then chances are not enough has changed to make it enjoyable now. SE is working on things and turning it around, but it has plenty of issues that still need adjusting. I'd wait until they got to 2.0 to give it another try.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#3 Feb 24 2012 at 2:33 AM Rating: Good
IMO since launch this game has changed massively. When I think back to those early days last September and compare it to now it can't be denied that many of the things that annoyed have been changed or at least tweaked. The GUI is much much better now, classes have changed and are more simple but better defined, there are more quests etc. As long as you don't have all DOM/DOW leveled to 50 you will have more than enough to do for months. Each patch so far has brought quite big changes but 1.21 is expected to be the biggest of all.
____________________________
Esuna Forums

#4 Feb 24 2012 at 7:37 AM Rating: Decent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
EdyNOTB, pet mage of Jabober wrote:
When I think back to those early days last September and compare it to now it can't be denied that many of the things that annoyed have been changed or at least tweaked.


Like the cut-and-paste environments. Totally resolved!
Oh, wait, no that's still there.

How about the "underwater" feeling with delayed reactions from the time you press a button till the time it shows up on the screen. Gonzo!
Oh, wait, no that's still there, too.

How about the screen tearing. It's peachy now, surely!
Oops, still there, too.

How about the several seconds or even minutes it takes to load NPCs, let alone other characters, you're standing next to. I liked how they got rid of that!
****. Still there.

Auction House?
Nope.

Well, who cares when there's that expanded list of new guildleves to choose from! The same few were getting old, you know?
I see, no new guildleves.

Well, there was that improved mouse-based, drag-and-drop interface they were going to add...
Not done yet, huh?

Then again, it's good that it's playable on something other than a tank of a PC, so that it's more accessible to a greater audience.
I see. It's still a resource hog.

Linkshells are so much easier to manage from that worse-than-FFXI system they had in place.
Wait, wait... don't tell me. Not a lick better.

Well, those new regions apart from the initial five are fun to explore at least...
Aw, nuts, no new regions.

But other than that, there's almost nothing complained about in its September 2010 launch that hasn't been addressed! And at least the rare silver lining of the customization offered in the Armory System that most critics liked about the game will always be there.
Oh, they're getting rid of that for a rigid job system.
#5 Feb 24 2012 at 8:26 AM Rating: Decent
Quote:
EdyNOTB, pet mage of Jabober wrote: wrote:
When I think back to those early days last September and compare it to now it can't be denied that many of the things that annoyed have been changed or at least tweaked.




Like the cut-and-paste environments. Totally resolved!
Oh, wait, no that's still there.

How about the "underwater" feeling with delayed reactions from the time you press a button till the time it shows up on the screen. Gonzo!
Oh, wait, no that's still there, too.

How about the screen tearing. It's peachy now, surely!
Oops, still there, too.

How about the several seconds or even minutes it takes to load NPCs, let alone other characters, you're standing next to. I liked how they got rid of that!
****. Still there.

Auction House?
Nope.

Well, who cares when there's that expanded list of new guildleves to choose from! The same few were getting old, you know?
I see, no new guildleves.

Well, there was that improved mouse-based, drag-and-drop interface they were going to add...
Not done yet, huh?

Then again, it's good that it's playable on something other than a tank of a PC, so that it's more accessible to a greater audience.
I see. It's still a resource hog.

Linkshells are so much easier to manage from that worse-than-FFXI system they had in place.
Wait, wait... don't tell me. Not a lick better.

Well, those new regions apart from the initial five are fun to explore at least...
Aw, nuts, no new regions.

But other than that, there's almost nothing complained about in its September 2010 launch that hasn't been addressed! And at least the rare silver lining of the customization offered in the Armory System that most critics liked about the game will always be there.
Oh, they're getting rid of that for a rigid job system.


I run an Acer 4400+ dual core 2.3GHZ processor with an ATI Raedeon HD4350 and 15 megabits a second internet, windowed at 1920x1080 res, with the settings just below default and it runs smooth, NPC's load within 5 seconds, PC's load almost instantly.
There is no action delay.
No screen tearing.
Guildleves still suck.
No drag and drop.
And still crappy LS interface.

However, Square has come leaps and bounds in the progress of making this a legitimate game, rather than a paid for beta as it appeared to be in Sept. of last year. They added a Search Function to the Retainers, they are not making us pay full price. They are aware of what problems are still there and are working on fixing them which is more than you can say about 85% of the MMO's currently on the market.

Worth a second try?
Maybe, depending on how much you like Final Fantasy, it's still not a complete game and still has about 9 months to go before it is where it should have been at launch. However, the game is definitely playable now to an extent where you most likely will not get frustrated to a point of punching your monitor.
But, that does not mean you will love it. My advice, unless you feel like rolling the dice, wait till Version 2.0 comes out in about 7 months. Or if your antsy for to get out of the MMO rut, jump in at 1.22 in June/July when about 75% of the problems will be fixed, and get a jump on the Ver 2.0 people and the PS3 players.

Edited, Feb 24th 2012 9:28am by WeedjediRedux
____________________________
I'm back, not to cause trouble. And anyone who knows the original Weedjedi.....please don't karma bomb me. Just saying.
I'm 20 now, more mature and less stupid. And the only reason I didn't use the original weedjedi is because I can't remember it's login details.
#6 Feb 24 2012 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Look I'm not busting anyone's chops, here.

There have been a lot of improvements. They finally added chocobos and airships. They've added a few endgame fights, a few quests, a few dungeons. Lag is down but not gone. UI has improved (far fewer clicks to get things done), but is still not mouse-friendly. Yoshida's enthusiasm has replaced Tanaka's ambivalence. The job system was a highly demanded feature by the players, so maybe some people would see it as "responsive" rather than "counter-intuitive" to turn away from the praised Armory System. The Market Wards function a lot more like an Auction House now than from its pitiful beginnings (now if they could just eliminate the useless Retainer portion, it would almost be as good as what FFXI had almost 10 years ago).

But, I would be remiss in not pointing out there's a lot of work left to be done. Many complaints from September 2010 have not been addressed. The earliest most of them will be addressed is next year for the 2.0 release. You could start now, and you might have fun, but you're not going to be playing FFXIV at its best. There's a lot left to do.

Edited, Feb 24th 2012 12:46pm by Xoie
#7 Feb 24 2012 at 12:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
The problem with your first post though, Xoie, is that the vast majority of the problems you lists are quite simply funumental design flaws in the construction of the game and engine. We're not talking about wrinckles you can iron out of the code in a few months, it takes a full reboot, which they are doing. That doesn't make the original mistakes "Ok", but expecting them to be fixed already is asking too much.

To answer the OP though, the team has done well with the time that they have had, relatively speaking. Things are improving at a marked pace and we're starting to see some pretty fundumental changes and improvements. It's still the same game; if you didn't like it before, I don't know if you'll like it now, but if you have the spare $9.99, it might be worth trying it out again. The overall flow and pacing of the game has picked up, and the amount of content to do at any given level is substantially higher1. I suppose what I am trying to say is that it is much better, but don't come in expecting miracles quite yet2.

1. With one caviat, alot of the current content is designed for groups. With the current population, it's pretty hard to find a pickup group, so most of the content is pretty much "locked" unless you find an active linkshell.
2. Most of us are putting our hopes in 2.0 for the miracle, where we will be seeing a completely reconstructed engine from the ground up, along with new content, environments (fixing the cnt-c cnt-v environments) among other things.


Edited, Feb 24th 2012 1:44pm by Hulan
#8 Feb 24 2012 at 1:27 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
66 posts
Game is still god-awful and will only be helped minimally with jobs in a few weeks. Probably a better idea to stay away for now.
#9 Feb 24 2012 at 2:18 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,214 posts
It is pretty impressive the range of opinions on the game's current state.

Since the last time you said that you played the game they have added the following: (and this is not a concise list, and items listed are not necessarily complete, you may want to check the Compendium - Expected Updates sticky for more specifics)

Class redesign. All classes are much more focused, and have specific purposes in parties.

Mob re-work. All mobs are uniformed in difficulty. There are now mobs that are weak to elements, and weak to specific types of attacks that can give different classes better efficiency to fight.

System enhancements. Commands are not as laggy as they used to be, however, there are periodic issues where command lag starts occuring, annoying, but not game breaking (mostly a problem in Ifrit and Moogle fight).

Bazaar system implemented. You can now find items and purchase them without wandering around for an hour. Still not optimal, but it works for what it is.

Several quests have been introduced. Most are simple kill quests, but there are some storyline quests (my favorite series are the trickster quest chain out of Gridania).

There are achievements to be had. Many of which will take well over a year to obtain, and some which (specifically the lodestone live quest achievements) can only be obtained before the release of 2.0. Some achievements give items, others just give titles, and others are just good markers towards what you have accomplished. Giving the game some sense of purpose.

The crafting system has been reduced to work better with the people and availability of items. You no longer need twenty inventory slots to craft a single piece of gear.

Guilds have been reduced to stores and crafting enhancement centers. You can no longer collect Marks, and abilities have been switch over to purely auto-gain for classes (Jobs will have abilities you have to work for).

Mob difficulties have been adjusted. You can no longer have a group of 50 people kill a level 99 mob, as you can't hit one, and when you try they squish people in a single hit. You are not fighting within 5-10 levels of your job.

There is now a clear sound, sight, and sound/sight aggro for mobs that is easily identifiable, and to get to different locations in the world, you either have to brute force it with a large group of people, and a lot of death, or by being clever, and patient, and using mob aggro type to your advantage (Gatherers get a Sneak/Invis ability, but it is only good up to 10 levels above their rank, capping out at 50 right now, and comes with the down-side of having to walk).

There are Grand Companies, which comes with gear and leves and quests to advance the storyline a bit more then what was there.

There are strong-holds which offer an open-world place to farm for gear, and serve as a leveling place from ~40-50, and also used by many to create Materia. So, once you get a job to 40, there is almost always a party available, and if not, you can get one started pretty quickly.

There is now a party search feature. Unfortunately, it's been so long without one, and the population is so low and scattered by level, it is not frequently used yet.

Targeting has improved, however, there are still times and situations where targeting is still nearly impossible (different targeting modes help to alleviate this problem, but it is not fixed completely).

Chocobos... They are here, they are good.
Airships. A simple cut-scene form of travel, but it works for getting from town to town.

Anima regen has increased. Still run out way too quickly

You now can have a reserve of Guild leve attempts, and you can flag a leve as long as you have an attempt available. But they are shared between crafting and combat leves.

There are 2 dungeons to go through. yeah, not much (and technically there are 3 if you count the one that starts w/ an S I can never remember how to pronounce it). One at 25, the other at 45. Both are pretty fun, though none are level-capped (so most people take 1+50 in the level 25 with whoever needs it to quickly burn through the dungeon... Good way to get level 25-35 gear). The level 45 dungeon is just a pain. And fun.

Party size has been reduced down to 8. But many things work with parties of 2-4 (especially pre-40).

PowerLeveling is currently the preferred way to level to 30... Makes it hard to find a party pre-30. But it can be done.

Leve rewards have been reduced. So, if you are starting the game, it's harder to make money, but, money is still there to be made. And the exp is still good. It's about 10 leves a level at any level.

And there is more and there is less.
#10 Feb 24 2012 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
*
95 posts
Quote:
Game is still god-awful and will only be helped minimally with jobs in a few weeks. Probably a better idea to stay away for now.


This type of mentality really ****** me off. Just because you have a largely negative opinion of the game does not mean you need to dissuade new/returning players from giving it a try by offering deceitful information. I'm not a white knight of the game by any means, but 1.21 is probably one of the bigger, if not the biggest, patches this game will have seen thus far. To tell someone to steer clear of the game because it will be "helped minimally with jobs" is a complete disservice to new players having an interest in the game. I would like to take a moment to name a couple of things coming in the patch. Two new endgame raids are being implemented. There are job quests and job-specific gear to go along with said jobs. Revamped accessory system, player housing, chocobo barding...there are so many things coming in this patch. Please don't be ignorant and uninformed in your posting.

Edit:
Edited because people obviously thought I was dissing negative opinions in general. I was referring to the whole "blah blah new jobs, nothing to see here, move along" mentality. The community here has become awful and I will be sure to refrain from posting my own opinion because it apparently is not welcome here.

Edited, Feb 26th 2012 11:18pm by BiggsBeoulve

Edited, Feb 26th 2012 11:19pm by BiggsBeoulve
____________________________
FFXIV Server: Masamune
Character: Biggs Beoulve
Jobs: 50 PLD, 50 WAR, 50 DRG
#11 Feb 24 2012 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
1.21 is coming March 3-6th and is supposed to bring a lot of change to the game as far as game-play is concerned. Jobs and class differentiation, player housing, a change to guildleves (no more Guardian Aspect and adding the bonus guardian aspect would have given into the leves themselves making the whole process simpler), a logoff bonus, etc...
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#12 Feb 24 2012 at 3:36 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
BiggsBeoulve wrote:
This type of mentality really ****** me off. Just because you have a largely negative opinion of the game does not mean you need to dissuade new/returning players from giving it a try by offering deceitful information. I'm not a white knight of the game by any means, but 1.21 is probably one of the bigger, if not the biggest, patches this game will have seen thus far. To tell someone to steer clear of the game because it will be "helped minimally with jobs" is a complete disservice to new players having an interest in the game. I would like to take a moment to name a couple of things coming in the patc. Two new endgame raids are being implemented. There are job quests and job-specific gear to go along with said jobs. Revamped accessory system, player housing, chocobo barding...there are so many things coming in this patch. Please don't be ignorant and uninformed in your posting.


People have the right to have a negative opinion. Just as you have a right to have an optimistic one. The op wanted to hear what people had to say since he left. So I would imagine all opinions are welcome, good or bad so the op can make an informed decision.

Op,
True the game has changed quite a bit, but can still be repetive if you aren't careful. I quit cause there was too little for me to do that at the time required too many people. Seems some of that has changed. You have the software, I defintely would start it up again and play it for a month, the most you'd be out is 10$. If you like it, stay if you don't, try again at 2.o.

Good luck and welcome back.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#13 Feb 24 2012 at 6:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
334 posts
Yeah, Lillitha and Xoie, you guys have the right to your opinions, but they are far less relevant than the opinions of people who actually play the @#%^ing game. There have literally been multiple updates since the last time either of you played, and there's about to be yet another substantial one to which you will no doubt share your wealth of assumptions rather than firsthand knowledge. Why is it so hard for you to understand why people find it annoying when you share your 2 cents about a game you haven't played since the middle of 2011? If you believe otherwise you are just retarded and no amount of discussion or spirited banter will help you with that.

OP- I just started playing the game about 6 weeks ago (for the first time). Since I'm not ****-hurt by SE like Lillitha and Xoie, I can tell you what I think of the game without any old, resentful feelings tainting my opinion. Is the game as good as XI was in its heyday?- No. Is it fun enough to be worth ~$10 a month for the current subscription (if you pay for a 6 month package)?- Yes. I am also feeling pretty optimistic that it will continue to improve as Yoshi and his team gear for 2.0. As a previous poster mentioned, some of the issues the game still has won't be able to be resolved until they switch the engine. All in all, make your own decision, but if you scan through all the "I've just returned, here is my impression" threads you'll notice a theme:

People who actually play the @#%^ing game say it's fun and worth $10 a month.

People who don't play and haven't for quite some time will continue to sh*t all over it regardless of the fact that the game they are commenting on was FFXIV last @#%^ing summer.

Sorry for my language, it's just hard to fathom some people's disconnect from basic @#%^ing logic. If you don't play a game, how can you have an informed, relevant comment about it...

Edited, Feb 24th 2012 7:33pm by ChaChaJaJa
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#14 Feb 24 2012 at 8:05 PM Rating: Excellent
**
542 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
Yeah, Lillitha and Xoie, you guys have the right to your opinions, but they are far less relevant than the opinions of people who actually play the @#%^ing game. There have literally been multiple updates since the last time either of you played, and there's about to be yet another substantial one to which you will no doubt share your wealth of assumptions rather than firsthand knowledge. Why is it so hard for you to understand why people find it annoying when you share your 2 cents about a game you haven't played since the middle of 2011? If you believe otherwise you are just retarded and no amount of discussion or spirited banter will help you with that.

OP- I just started playing the game about 6 weeks ago (for the first time). Since I'm not ****-hurt by SE like Lillitha and Xoie, I can tell you what I think of the game without any old, resentful feelings tainting my opinion. Is the game as good as XI was in its heyday?- No. Is it fun enough to be worth ~$10 a month for the current subscription (if you pay for a 6 month package)?- Yes. I am also feeling pretty optimistic that it will continue to improve as Yoshi and his team gear for 2.0. As a previous poster mentioned, some of the issues the game still has won't be able to be resolved until they switch the engine. All in all, make your own decision, but if you scan through all the "I've just returned, here is my impression" threads you'll notice a theme:

People who actually play the @#%^ing game say it's fun and worth $10 a month.

People who don't play and haven't for quite some time will continue to sh*t all over it regardless of the fact that the game they are commenting on was FFXIV last @#%^ing summer.

Sorry for my language, it's just hard to fathom some people's disconnect from basic @#%^ing logic. If you don't play a game, how can you have an informed, relevant comment about it...

Edited, Feb 24th 2012 7:33pm by ChaChaJaJa


Yikes, there is quite a bit of hate in this post aimed at some people who were just posting their opinions.

I think what you're missing is that a lot of the reasons people didn't like the game back then are still relevant today, and it doesn't take actively playing the game to realize that. For example, some thought the zone layout was incredibly boring and uninspired. The Black Shroud used to be a massive maze of the same corridors back at launch and it's still a massive maze of the same corridors today. If this was a turn off for people then, it will still be now. We all read the same patch notes, some of us even tried the game after each patch until they started charging last month.

People who don't play right now but follow what's going on and know exactly what's changed and what hasn't are certainly entitled to their opinion. In fact, I'd say it adds a good balance to a discussion like this. You say people who play the game think it's worth the $10 a month, and that is very true. However, that actually makes it a biased sample by default. If you ask for the opinions of any subscription based service and only those who are members of that service are allowed to comment, then the service in question will be overwhelmingly popular in that poll compared to if you asked people from the general population, if nothing else, because of the mere fact that anyone who didn't feel it was worth the subscription is no longer a subscriber.

In short, my advice to you is to relax and understand that your opinions on this game and who should or shouldn't be commenting are not absolute. No one but you has acted in an abrasive manner toward other users. If you post your positive opinions rather than blasting those you disagree with, I think you have a much better chance of being taken seriously. Smiley: nod
#15 Feb 24 2012 at 10:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Su,

It's better sometimes to just ignore posts like this. Chances are if a poster can't display their point of view without giving a hostile tone, it's just best to leave it alone or report it.

However, I do agree that many people who do take issues with FFXIV are sitting on the sidelines playing the wait and see game.

And I also agree that as a consumer, I like to hear both sides to products, the good and the bad. To me, it helps me make an educated decision on a product before purchasing. I also like to see out friends and family to see if they had experiences with certian products. Of course, with any product you see information on there is the good and the bad, but you can always tally up the pro's and the con's of products.

Hopefully the Op can make an informed decision based on the posts he or she see's here.

Op, may I also make a suggestion, please check out the official FFXIV Lodestone Forums, you may not be able to post without an account, however, there are people there that pay to play that also have varied opinions. Try sifting through the boards there as well. Again, if all else fails just play for a month, again, you'll only be down 10$ for giving the game a shot again.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#16 Feb 24 2012 at 10:05 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Chachajaja for somebody that speaks about logic, you sure lack some, have you ever considered, that some of us have been playing MMOS since EQ ? Neverwinter nights ? etc etc ? And as MMMO vets we or atleast i dont have to actually play something to understand it the mechanics around it, since ALL MMO SHARE THE SAME BASIC MECHANICS!! (Now mind you that i personally played FFXIV from beta to december 2011.) So to just say that people who dont currently play, have no say or are irrelevant is quite the stupidest thing to say, for as a meter of fact, those that are currently playing, are the most irrelevant of all players, because SE cares very little about you, you are sheep, you support a broken, failed game and pay for their development, you are their greatest kind of consumer, the one that takes it up in their rear and says: "Hey SE here have my wallet, thanks for ******** me and dont mind milking me up for all the money you need, you cannot do no wrong in my eyes SE."

All the while SE has it's corporate eyes on the casual consumer, and you and people like you are their tool to do so, do you actually think, that the 10-12k people supporting Square Enix really meter once 2.0 hits ? If only 10-12K people actually purchase 2.0 it would be the biggest failure in MMO history, but if the 650K people that left the first month, buy it, it would be a smash hit, and it would not be because of the sheep, it would be because of us, and once that happens, who do you think SE is gonna cater to ? To those loyal supporters that stayed 2-3 years with them, or the masses that will benefit their profit margin ? Once 2.0 hits, you will be obsolete, an as irrelevant as you are now, for SE will cater to the casuals that will buy their game, and then when they dont like something, and start ******** on their forums, they will cave, for if one thing SE has showed us since the relase of FFXIV is that they have no backbone, or ideas of their own, all they have done is put a bunch of ideas on polls and let the people decide what they want, and go from there.

What do you think will happen when 1 or 2 million people(Assuming 2.0 does extremely well) start making demands ? when people see the horror of FFXIV drop rates, there will be so much complaining that in a week the drop rates will be finally fixed, and there goes the hardcore crowd, what about the class job system, currently a lot of people are being pushed to playing one class or another for utmost DPS etc etc. What will happen when the casuals and the rest of the gamers start complaining ? SE will start to scrap the job system and making compromises, destroying what made most if not all of the people stay since release until 2.0 in exchange to please the newer players in the block.

So yeah if somebody is irrelevant, is you, for the future and direction of the game, does not lies in your hands or in your feedback, it lies in the hands of the hundred of thousands of players that left this game.
____________________________
MUTED
#17 Feb 24 2012 at 10:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
To append to what I said previously, the single most negative thing I can say about FFXIV right now has already been displayed on this thread. Namely, the community has become pretty toxic. I am no exception, quite often I find myself wanting to strangle some sense into my fellow forum goers, and merely by posting this post I have once again waded into that same morass. I like to believe that in this case it is worth it though to point out to the OP what I believe is the game's most dangerous failing at the moment. If you avoid the forums entirely, it's pretty safe, but things can get pretty nasty around here these days. I long for the days when we can just throw rotten vegetables at each other about whether the Wall of Justice is really cheating.

As has been pointed out, is the game worth $10? Yes. Is it worth $10 every month? That's up to you, and you'll never know for sure without trying it out. It isn't too terribly difficult to set up payment for only one month, then let it expire if you don't like it.

Edited, Feb 24th 2012 11:52pm by Hulan
#18 Feb 24 2012 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Hulan wrote:
To append to what I said previously, the single most negative thing I can say about FFXIV right now has already been displayed on this thread. Namely, the community has become pretty toxic. I am no exception, quite often I find myself wanting to strangle some sense into my fellow forum goers, and merely by posting this post I have once again waded into that same morass. I like to believe that in this case it is worth it though to point out to the OP what I believe is the game's most dangerous failing at the moment. If you avoid the forums entirely, it's pretty safe, but things can get pretty nasty around here these days. I long for the days when we can just throw rotten vegetables at each other about whether the Wall of Justice is really cheating.

As has been pointed out, is the game worth $10? Yes. Is it worth $10 every month? That's up to you, and you'll never know for sure without trying it out. It isn't too terribly difficult to set up payment for only one month, then let it expire if you don't like it.


To this end, I agree, and I rate you up, kind sir. There's just too much disparity between what some believe the game to be, what some want it to be, and what some believe it isn't. It brings out the worst in me at times when I get into these petty arguments and I loathe myself for it as much as I loathe the perceived superciliousness of the opposing view.

It just comes down to this:
Caveat Emptor: Let the buyer beware. Treat this MMO like a used car and don't believe every "golden patch" promise you hear.

If I argue against pushing players into FFXIV right now, it's because I want to see future Final Fantasy games. I think it would do more harm than good to push people into an "undercooked" game for a year with the promise that 2.0 "will make everything better." As much as I hope for the best, there's a very strong likelihood that 2.0 will flop without a marketing miracle and a perfect game execution to pull it off. Yoshida is an underdog in this fight, and as much as I'd like to see him win, the odds are against him. No fail launch MMO has ever recovered.

Meanwhile, I can't imagine the harm to the Final Fantasy brand that would be caused by getting people to pay a subscription for a year to develop a character that will be scrubbed if FFXIV 2.0 goes down forever. It's my belief that patience is the real virtue here. Wait till the conditions are right, and if the game doesn't stink at 2.0 after all, then go shout it on the mountain. If not, let it quietly die, and let FFXV carry the torch without turning anyone else off to Final Fantasy than need be.

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 12:41am by Xoie
#19 Feb 25 2012 at 12:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
BiggsBeoulve wrote:
This type of mentality really ****** me off. Just because you have a largely negative opinion of the game does not mean you need to dissuade new/returning players from giving it a try by offering deceitful information. I'm not a white knight of the game by any means, but 1.21 is probably one of the bigger, if not the biggest, patches this game will have seen thus far. To tell someone to steer clear of the game because it will be "helped minimally with jobs" is a complete disservice to new players having an interest in the game. I would like to take a moment to name a couple of things coming in the patc. Two new endgame raids are being implemented. There are job quests and job-specific gear to go along with said jobs. Revamped accessory system, player housing, chocobo barding...there are so many things coming in this patch. Please don't be ignorant and uninformed in your posting.


Really wish someone had told me that we were only allowed to give our opinions if they happened to agree with yours. Could I have a list of them for future reference? I'd hate to post the wrong opinion again.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#20 Feb 25 2012 at 3:36 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
With regards to the people who don't think the person should come back, then yes as far as this topic is concerned it's an appropriate response.

But I do agree with some of the sentiment here that I am tired of seeing the same people who bash the game over and over and over. We get it. You haven't played FFXIV since 2010 with your level 30 character and you hated it, hope it fails, etc...

But here they're just stating their opinion that they should not come back, and that's perfectly fine.

---

On the other hand, I was a long time player of Final Fantasy XI, and I don't like the direction that game is going in at all. But that doesn't make me want to go to their forums and lament on every thread about new FFXI and how it does not hold a candle to the way it used to be. I just simply stopped playing and if they ever introduce things I'm interested in, I'll come back.

Kinda wish some of the posters here did that. Well, at least in posting their thoughts about the game in totally unrelated topics.

But as I said earlier, this is a topic about someone asking if they should try the game out. Of course there are going to be a handful of people who say yes, and a handful of people who say no.

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 1:39am by UltKnightGrover

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 1:49am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#21 Feb 25 2012 at 5:55 AM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
On the other hand, I was a long time player of Final Fantasy XI, and I don't like the direction that game is going in at all. But that doesn't make me want to go to their forums and lament on every thread about new FFXI and how it does not hold a candle to the way it used to be. I just simply stopped playing and if they ever introduce things I'm interested in, I'll come back.

Kinda wish some of the posters here did that. Well, at least in posting their thoughts about the game in totally unrelated topics.


People are here waiting for the 2.0 relaunch of the game, much like they were here for the original launch of the game.

People speculated and stated what they wanted to see in the game for September 2010. Now they are talking about what they want to see in 2013. Most everyone who hates the game as it is now is not here to troll and some us even still have subscriptions despite our misgivings. SE does read these forums and they certainly have an interest in the opinion of those who don't play the game because they are the ones they want to lure back.

When and if the situation becomes hopeless, you can have your empty FFXIV forum in peace. Until then, expect a little controversy.
#22 Feb 25 2012 at 8:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
334 posts
Dear Ostia,
The fact that you've played 3278658765285 MMO's doesn't make your opinion any better than or worse than anyone else's. My brother has played MMO's since EQ and he currently has a positive opinion of XIV. So what. It doesn't mean any more than anyone else's just because he's an "MMO vet". For some crazy reason I believe you actually have to play a game to know if it's fun to play. That's what makes an opinion relevant. Therefore, to me at least, this is the most relevant piece of information in your post.

Ostia wrote:
WallofTextWallofTextWallofText... Now mind you that i personally played FFXIV from beta to december 2011... WallofTextWallofTextWallofTextWallofTextWallofTextWallofTextWallofTextWallofTextWallofText


Since you've played somewhat recently it seems that your opinion would carry more weight than someone who hasn't played since last summer. But in three weeks (after the next big patch) your opinion will lose some of it's weight when compared to someone who's actually played the game and experienced the job system first hand, rather than by reading patch notes.


A few other things I'd mention. First, I can't understand how I'm a sheep... I didn't play until recently so I'm not some loyal, hang on no matter what white knight. Six weeks ago, I decided to try the game, bought a new rig to do so, downloaded it, and here I am. Also, sheep implies follower, and since so few people play the game now as compared to launch, your statement actually makes very little sense. I've never made SE out to be all that. I even said in this thread that XI was better than this game. In fact, all I've done is come on here, state my opinion, state the circumstances that outline my opinion, and occasionally rip a few people that irritate me.

While I'm on that subject... Su, I understand your sentiment, but please try to understand mine. I play the game. I like it enough to keep playing. I come on here to read about what people think of the updates and additions to the game etc. Go read the player residences thread... within the first 5 or so posts it was being completely sh*t all over by people who don't play. People who openly try to dissuade anyone else from playing. We never even had a shot to discuss the actual topic of the thread! I get tired of being unable to delve into a discussion about the game due to people who come on here to protest its existence or the fact that some people might still play it. It's understandably annoying how the consistent thread hijacking could get old after awhile right?

Love,
Chachajaja

P.S. All that being said. OP, I re-read your initial request. Yes, the game is still in rebuild. It will be until they change the engine and 2.0 drops. If whether or not it's in rebuild is the qualifier you are using to decide whether to play, then yes, you should wait until 2.0. If, however, you are simply a person who likes FF games, can't get into WoW, and isn't interested in the SW genre (such as myself), then this is definitely worth $10 a month to kill some time in MMO land while waiting to see if 2.0 is boom, bust or somewhere in between.



Edited, Feb 25th 2012 9:26am by ChaChaJaJa
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#23 Feb 25 2012 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Many of the posters have only recently stopped playing since last month. Myself included. Also, many of us have played for more than 6 weeks. We have been playing since closed and open beta. So that is why many of the pessimists (I guess is what you could call us), feel we need to voice. We have played through every patch up until the most recent that is now delayed.

So sorry if one could find our opinions off setting. Just cause one plays right now or has started recently, doesn't make ones opinions more valid than one who has just recently quit or one who has on an X level job. Everyone is entitled to their pov, and yes it can be challenged, but just cause one values their pov over another doesn't make the other parties pov less valid.

____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#24 Feb 25 2012 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
523 posts
I learned a long time ago not to ask Zam forums for opinions.

I am now a sane and stable individual.

OP:
Play the game, see if you like it.

It's cheap.
#25 Feb 25 2012 at 9:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Aww DM, depends on which section of zam you are talking about :)

The WoW forums seems very helpful when it comes to WoW. And less high strung :)

It just seems like FF fans are a breed of their own :).

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 10:45am by LillithaFenimore
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#26 Feb 25 2012 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Many of the posters have only recently stopped playing since last month. Myself included.



Different character? Because here it says you haven't played since September of 2011. Which means you stopped playing right around/before the Ifrit fight was introduced. (Patch 1.19)
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#27 Feb 25 2012 at 1:03 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Many of the posters have only recently stopped playing since last month.


It's a good point. There hasn't been much change since billing started. Unless the newly added Goobbue mounts are a whole world of entertainment that FFXIV wasn't capable of previously.

UltKnightGrover wrote:

Different character? Because here it says you haven't played since September of 2011. Which means you stopped playing right around/before the Ifrit fight was introduced. (Patch 1.19)


Would you believe me if I told you that you can log into FFXIV and not receive any achievements for doing so?

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 2:04pm by Xoie
#28 Feb 25 2012 at 1:45 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
Well I didnt mean to start any arguments :) I do appreciate all the feedback. Sounds like the 2.0 patch is where it sounds like the game will take a big step in the right direction. I may come back before, and give it some time leading to the other big patches. Ill just see what servers are populated :)
#29 Feb 25 2012 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
334 posts
OP, server merges are scheduled to occur soonish (forget the exact date) to absorb the populations of some of the really small servers into viable numbers and some folks have been speculating about the post-merger server populations in this thread:

http://www.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1329764322322962778

____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#30 Feb 25 2012 at 3:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
UK, nope. Same character, can't have been that long, I turned off my account the day before billing and my husband and I I think did our last set of leves I think around thanksgivingish. And we just kept our accounts going cause I got preggo in sept. I remeber well cause he and I had a disagreement about continuing with studies, work and juggling new baby. That's when we stopped playing for good and just kept our accounts active until bill time. That's odd oo; Then we agreed after baby 2 is born and we aren't zombies if 2.o turned this game around we would come back to try.

I even remeber logging in at Christmas to see if I wanted to get the reindeer suit ^_^ then was let down cause I didn't like how it looked on miquotes. Still kicking myself for that one... :(
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#31 Feb 25 2012 at 5:51 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Xoie wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Many of the posters have only recently stopped playing since last month.


It's a good point. There hasn't been much change since billing started. Unless the newly added Goobbue mounts are a whole world of entertainment that FFXIV wasn't capable of previously.

UltKnightGrover wrote:

Different character? Because here it says you haven't played since September of 2011. Which means you stopped playing right around/before the Ifrit fight was introduced. (Patch 1.19)


Would you believe me if I told you that you can log into FFXIV and not receive any achievements for doing so?


Possibly, but to "play" for 3-4 months and nothing to show for it says something about what you're doing in the game.

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 4:09pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#32 Feb 25 2012 at 7:57 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Hey now, I don't tell you how to play >_>. So none of this " You are playing summoner wrong" . FFXI for those who haven't played FFXI.
Oh! My favorite was when I was playing whm/smn and I had to be pulled cause no one had ranged in the boyada tree >_>

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 9:00pm by LillithaFenimore
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#33 Feb 25 2012 at 8:43 PM Rating: Excellent
**
924 posts
Xoie wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Many of the posters have only recently stopped playing since last month.


It's a good point. There hasn't been much change since billing started. Unless the newly added Goobbue mounts are a whole world of entertainment that FFXIV wasn't capable of previously.

UltKnightGrover wrote:

Different character? Because here it says you haven't played since September of 2011. Which means you stopped playing right around/before the Ifrit fight was introduced. (Patch 1.19)


Would you believe me if I told you that you can log into FFXIV and not receive any achievements for doing so?

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 2:04pm by Xoie


No one's questioning whether you get achievements or not but last achievement was 9/29/2011 and nothing since means really not playing at all. Unless you count logging in and using FFXIV as a glorified MSN to have a 3D chat.

I've read the recent post and Lillitha congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child; no disrespect on the length of your play time as personally I take the opinions of all people.

The only people I generally don't take the opinion of is those that quit at the start or have never even actually played past level 5 or 10; believe me there are a LARGE number of posters (albeit ones without a XIV sig) that actually only bought the game, logged in for 2 levels and quit. Yet they have the most excellent rated posts here.

I'm with Doctor Mog on this one however lol. We should all be more constructive in the way we talk or else we are just trading stories on how more retarded the next person can be in what they say.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#34 Feb 25 2012 at 9:24 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Eli,

Fair enough. My husband and I are casual gamers, for personal reasons, hence why our highest jobs in this game are 30, however we have played various jobs and crafts. We were pretty casual in FFXI as well. We ended up starting I think back in 05ish and played for two years maxing out WHM and BLM and stopped playing for a year. Then we rerolled and got our second set of characters I think it level 60ish if I remember correctly.

Well I agree with your sentiment about the volitile tones of the boards, it just in general seems that FF fans are truley a breed of their own. Very intense. My husbands nephew and one of my friends who is playing TOR and who have also played WoW just seem...laid back. So were some of my fellow classmates who played WoW when it first came out. And the few classmates of mine who played FFXI just seemed more intense.

Which is what I mean by a breed of their own, if that is the comment of mine you are referring to. I could be completely off though, wouldn't be the first time. :D

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 10:26pm by LillithaFenimore
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#35 Feb 25 2012 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Eli,

Fair enough. My husband and I are casual gamers, for personal reasons, hence why our highest jobs in this game are 30, however we have played various jobs and crafts. We were pretty casual in FFXI as well. We ended up starting I think back in 05ish and played for two years maxing out WHM and BLM and stopped playing for a year. Then we rerolled and got our second set of characters I think it level 60ish if I remember correctly.

Well I agree with your sentiment about the volitile tones of the boards, it just in general seems that FF fans are truley a breed of their own. Very intense. My husbands nephew and one of my friends who is playing TOR and who have also played WoW just seem...laid back. So were some of my fellow classmates who played WoW when it first came out. And the few classmates of mine who played FFXI just seemed more intense.

Which is what I mean by a breed of their own, if that is the comment of mine you are referring to. I could be completely off though, wouldn't be the first time. :D

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 10:26pm by LillithaFenimore


Nope I'm more referring to people that are level 2. One job and hating on the game. :P

Edit: breed of own, yes that's it lol... I'm off >.>

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 7:45pm by Elionara
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#36 Feb 25 2012 at 9:52 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Eli,

Ahh. Again forgive me T_T pregnancy is not so kind to my brain T_T. I promise after the kiddo is born, my reading comprehension (with the help of proper sleep :D), will be back on track. True story..ask an OBGYN XD

Yeah I can understand about the low level, one job sort of thing hating this game. That part can be a bit frustrating when it comes to players sifting through tbe boards who are truely looking for exp of people who play vs people who played for a while and quit.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#37 Feb 25 2012 at 9:56 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
BTW, I know this is a bit off topic, but I did go through my achievments, and I thought they did log when you did leve quests and such :/ Oh well, would have loved achievments for the # of times I have killed Do-do related leves quest mobs :D
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#38 Feb 25 2012 at 10:32 PM Rating: Excellent
**
542 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
While I'm on that subject... Su, I understand your sentiment, but please try to understand mine. I play the game. I like it enough to keep playing. I come on here to read about what people think of the updates and additions to the game etc. Go read the player residences thread... within the first 5 or so posts it was being completely sh*t all over by people who don't play. People who openly try to dissuade anyone else from playing. We never even had a shot to discuss the actual topic of the thread! I get tired of being unable to delve into a discussion about the game due to people who come on here to protest its existence or the fact that some people might still play it. It's understandably annoying how the consistent thread hijacking could get old after awhile right?


I do understand that it could get old, but I think that there's only so much discussion that can be had about features like player residences. The zam FFXIV forums aren't exactly booming, and I tend to see the same 10 or so names popping up again and again, and not all of them are even actively playing. Even if those who weren't playing were to zip their lips on threads like that, I'm not sure if they'd receive much in the way of discussion. Also, nobody would fault you if you decide to post your thoughts on the thread topic even after it's been derailed. If there's enough people interested in discussing it, it could catch on and bring the thread back on track.

To be honest though, I'd imagine the official forums would be the best place to look for serious discussion from people who are playing the game in its current state. The ZAM forums are currently shared by people who are standing back and watching as they rebuild the game (much like people did before initial release) and people who actually play, so it has a more varied sample of opinions, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the type of discussion you're looking for.


#39 Feb 26 2012 at 12:06 AM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
Susanoh wrote:
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
While I'm on that subject... Su, I understand your sentiment, but please try to understand mine. I play the game. I like it enough to keep playing. I come on here to read about what people think of the updates and additions to the game etc. Go read the player residences thread... within the first 5 or so posts it was being completely sh*t all over by people who don't play. People who openly try to dissuade anyone else from playing. We never even had a shot to discuss the actual topic of the thread! I get tired of being unable to delve into a discussion about the game due to people who come on here to protest its existence or the fact that some people might still play it. It's understandably annoying how the consistent thread hijacking could get old after awhile right?


I do understand that it could get old, but I think that there's only so much discussion that can be had about features like player residences. The zam FFXIV forums aren't exactly booming, and I tend to see the same 10 or so names popping up again and again, and not all of them are even actively playing. Even if those who weren't playing were to zip their lips on threads like that, I'm not sure if they'd receive much in the way of discussion. Also, nobody would fault you if you decide to post your thoughts on the thread topic even after it's been derailed. If there's enough people interested in discussing it, it could catch on and bring the thread back on track.

To be honest though, I'd imagine the official forums would be the best place to look for serious discussion from people who are playing the game in its current state. The ZAM forums are currently shared by people who are standing back and watching as they rebuild the game (much like people did before initial release) and people who actually play, so it has a more varied sample of opinions, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the type of discussion you're looking for.




The sad part is you will find more mature discussion here compared to official forums... That's saying alot about the people playing... lol

I rage a lot in there because of the level of stupidity I see :(

Lillitha :) One thing I recommend at least from my own opinion is to at least get all the event gear while you can because come 2.0 it won't exist for the most part especially goobbue and such. If you want to join karnak I'll even get you level 30 again in 3.5 hours just to get it if you already haven't :P

Edit: By event gear I mean like swimsuits and things like that, they've changed them each year. Makes me sad I missed getting the new dragon ones on my wifes account. She doesn't play at all because of how it launched and is waiting for 2.0 but until that time I get all the special events for her, PL while she's away for a bit ^^;

Edited, Feb 25th 2012 10:07pm by Elionara
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#40 Feb 26 2012 at 1:29 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
I quit playing around Christmas, and there hasn't been a single thing implemented since then that made me want to come back.

Like I said in previous threads, I'm waiting on Ver 2.0 before I try this game again. I'm hoping for a significant increase in overall quality.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#41 Feb 26 2012 at 5:45 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
BTW, I know this is a bit off topic, but I did go through my achievments, and I thought they did log when you did leve quests and such :/ Oh well, would have loved achievments for the # of times I have killed Do-do related leves quest mobs :D



There's an achievement for levequests, you need to talk to an NPC in game to unlock it.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#42 Feb 26 2012 at 7:45 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Uk, oh yeah forgot about that.

Eli,
Nah can't. Already playing WoW with a close friend temporarily. My husband is in the middle of studying for certifications. So as soon as he is done with that, which should be shortly after 2.o is released, we will hopefully reactivate my account, granted he likes what he hears about 2.o. We refuse to play MMO's without each other (cept for WoW he hates it's artheticss).

Hence why I'm hoping 2.o is just fabulous when it's released cause he loved its graphics, just didn't care for content, or lack there of. So for him SE is in hot water :x. However thanks for the offer! ^_^
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#43 Feb 26 2012 at 2:00 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Elionara wrote:
The sad part is you will find more mature discussion here compared to official forums... That's saying alot about the people playing... lol

I rage a lot in there because of the level of stupidity I see :(


I don't think the official boards are indicative of the people playing FFXIV, but rather the posters themselves.

Decent people don't even bother going there. The subject matter very narrowly applies to FFXIV and FFXIV alone, and almost any references to other topics (current events, comparisons to other MMOs, etc.) ends up getting shut down quick. So all that's left is a big food fight between control freaks who want to impose their vision of play so their "immersion" doesn't get ruined.
#44 Feb 26 2012 at 3:03 PM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
I love that word, immersion. If they want immersion so bad than their character should die from carrying 200 cobalt body pieces while crafting? :P

I just want to enjoy the game and have fun. If it provides fun and enjoyment; it's worth the loss of 2-3 cups of coffee a month from McDinkyDoo's ^^
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#45 Feb 26 2012 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,691 posts
Quote:
Nah can't. Already playing WoW with a close friend temporarily. My husband is in the middle of studying for certifications. So as soon as he is done with that, which should be shortly after 2.o is released, we will hopefully reactivate my account, granted he likes what he hears about 2.o. We refuse to play MMO's without each other (cept for WoW he hates it's artheticss).

Hence why I'm hoping 2.o is just fabulous when it's released cause he loved its graphics, just didn't care for content, or lack there of. So for him SE is in hot water :x. However thanks for the offer! ^_^


You might wanna check out Tera, it's 2 months away yet still but it's very very pretty and you can do everything in the game there is to do at endgame with 2-3 people. Might enjoy it more than wow and will either give you what you're looking for or something to tide you over till v2.
#46 Feb 26 2012 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Thanks Rune. ^_^
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#47 Feb 26 2012 at 4:35 PM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
Pre-ordered GW2 :) Aion is going F2P soon :)
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#48 Feb 27 2012 at 5:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
588 posts
OP, I don't know what you decided but if you do log in. I can recommend some good linkshells on Figaro.
____________________________



#49 Feb 28 2012 at 6:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
... Try it for 10 dollars.. not like the universe is going to collapse if you're 10 dollars poorer..

Personally I'd wait till it's closer to 2.0 to play again, because if you start playing now, you will be burned out long before 2.0 is even released.

OR Invest in a steam account... For 10 bucks you can get a plethora of game more worthy of your time.. Wait what kind of pc gamer are you if you don't have a steam account @.@?

Also TERA online is also looking to be a good investment at this point.. based on taste and financial situations either Guild Wars 2 or Tera online will scratch all of your future MMO itches..

Torchlight 2 is also coming soon, and borderlands 2 is somewhere over the horizon...

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 8:00pm by nick2412

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 8:00pm by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#50 Feb 28 2012 at 8:09 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
nick2412 wrote:
... Try it for 10 dollars.. not like the universe is going to collapse if you're 10 dollars poorer..

Personally I'd wait till it's closer to 2.0 to play again, because if you start playing now, you will be burned out long before 2.0 is even released.

OR Invest in a steam account... For 10 bucks you can get a plethora of game more worthy of your time.. Wait what kind of pc gamer are you if you don't have a steam account @.@?

Also TERA online is also looking to be a good investment at this point.. based on taste and financial situations either Guild Wars 2 or Tera online will scratch all of your future MMO itches..

Torchlight 2 is also coming soon, and borderlands 2 is somewhere over the horizon...

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 8:00pm by nick2412

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 8:00pm by nick2412



....I don't have a steam account....wtf is steam? (feels her age is showing here...)
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#51 Feb 28 2012 at 9:35 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
nick2412 wrote:
... Try it for 10 dollars.. not like the universe is going to collapse if you're 10 dollars poorer..

Personally I'd wait till it's closer to 2.0 to play again, because if you start playing now, you will be burned out long before 2.0 is even released.

OR Invest in a steam account... For 10 bucks you can get a plethora of game more worthy of your time.. Wait what kind of pc gamer are you if you don't have a steam account @.@?

Also TERA online is also looking to be a good investment at this point.. based on taste and financial situations either Guild Wars 2 or Tera online will scratch all of your future MMO itches..

Torchlight 2 is also coming soon, and borderlands 2 is somewhere over the horizon...

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 8:00pm by nick2412

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 8:00pm by nick2412



....I don't have a steam account....wtf is steam? (feels her age is showing here...)

I've been wondering the same thing, so I looked around a bit... here's some good info.

:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

http://store.steampowered.com/

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 7:36pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)