Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Ragnarok: Sink or Swim?Follow

#1 Feb 27 2012 at 10:23 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
437 posts
With the coming server changes, my question to you is should Ragarok server be embraced or rejected?

My personal opinion is that it should be rejected. As an EU player I always enjoyed the multi-timezone aspect of XI fantastic. I could stay up late and enjoy the game with NA players, I could play through the night and join JP players later. The never sleeping multiculture, multitimezone world is my preference and want XIV to remain the same. However moving forward if Ragnarok is to continue I can see the vast majority of new players from the EU joining that server instead of one of the other 10, which I will be on (Masamune). Over time it would lead to reduced enjoyment for me with fewer and fewer EU players on my server. As SE has said not enough uptake on ragnarok would lead to another merge at a later date is it in the interest of the playing XIV community for Ragnarok to continue or be merged?

I lead a linkshell on Wutai moving to Masamune Server and have proposed a boycott of Ragnarok.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#2 Feb 27 2012 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Metin wrote:
With the coming server changes, my question to you is should Ragarok server be embraced or rejected?

My personal opinion is that it should be rejected. As an EU player I always enjoyed the multi-timezone aspect of XI fantastic. I could stay up late and enjoy the game with NA players, I could play through the night and join JP players later. The never sleeping multiculture, multitimezone world is my preference and want XIV to remain the same. However moving forward if Ragnarok is to continue I can see the vast majority of new players from the EU joining that server instead of one of the other 10, which I will be on (Masamune). Over time it would lead to reduced enjoyment for me with fewer and fewer EU players on my server. As SE has said not enough uptake on ragnarok would lead to another merge at a later date is it in the interest of the playing XIV community for Ragnarok to continue or be merged?

I lead a linkshell on Wutai moving to Masamune Server and have proposed a boycott of Ragnarok.


Because European players are a small minority within a specific timezone region, it makes sense to suggest Ragnarok as a gathering place. However, it is only a suggestion. Ragnarok isn't meant to be European only as anyone can go there, nor is it required for Europeans to move there, either. I see little reason to set up a boycott.
#3 Feb 27 2012 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
I know its only recommended but the problem is if it is labeled or higlighted as an EU server at the point of choosing then the EU player will always go there.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#4 Feb 27 2012 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,112 posts
Metin wrote:
I know its only recommended but the problem is if it is labeled or higlighted as an EU server at the point of choosing then the EU player will always go there.


That's the whole point...

For me, I think it is a good thing. One of my grievances with XI was that, during my play time, the vast majority of fellow players were Japanese. Multicultural, ever-busy servers are fantastic but when a game requires a full party to do things, and almost everyone can't or won't speak your language and not include you in things on that basis, it is incredibly frustrating. I know there are plenty of UK based players who have had success and much enjoyment from XI, but from my personal experience a lot of my play time was spent frustrated seeing all the fantastic things I could do, with very few people I could do it with.

For me, a server aimed at and populated by European players would be fantastic.
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#5 Feb 28 2012 at 6:13 AM Rating: Decent
Come to Selbina (Ridill) Our LS is growing with a diverse mix of NA/EU players and what you explained about staying up late / early vice versa works out really well
#6 Feb 28 2012 at 9:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
544 posts
I got into a big argument on the official forums with this exact same thing. Our EU/NA LS does not want to go there at all. I can understand why some need it right now, stragglers on servers with no EU people on it. However to make its EU tag permanent is a crappy idea. Why? Because it will punish all of us (and there are a lot of us) who want nothing to do with Ragnarock in the long run. We will never see new EU people because they will think Rag is the only place to go.

There are a lot of EU/NA LSes that want nothing to do with the new server.

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 10:38am by Vackashken
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#7 Feb 28 2012 at 10:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
828 posts
It'll swim in one form or another.

If it flops and it's merged with another server at a later date then that server will most likely adopt the recommended for eu tag.

i think it a fantastic idea and it will most likely benefit alot of people.

Quote:
For me, I think it is a good thing. One of my grievances with XI was that, during my play time, the vast majority of fellow players were Japanese. Multicultural, ever-busy servers are fantastic but when a game requires a full party to do things, and almost everyone can't or won't speak your language and not include you in things on that basis


while sometimes yes this is true i personally never experienced many problems with the language barriers sure there were a few but my time in xi led me to be quite proficient with the auto translate and had invites from jp players in things from exp parties to prommy missions and other stuff. though sometimes its reputation that becomes the difference between yes oor no. i see players who flat out refuse to do anything with jp players cos they dont speak english so its no suprise that the jp have players that are the opposite.

but back to the subject ragnarok and the idea of a euro zone recoomended server isa great one. i personally wont be going despite being in said euro zone but i can see how it will be a greta benefit to alot of people. and with se's note that they will merge it with another server if t he population isnt deemed sufficient its prety much win win for alot of europeans. if ragnarok were to get merged with aegis for example then it would simply be aegis recommended for eu players.
____________________________


#8 Feb 28 2012 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
544 posts
Again. Is it a great idea for now? Yes but its crap for the lot of us who don't want to go. An EU tag would guarantee we'd (we'd being the hundreds of players who are EU and DON'T want to go) never see any new EU people and would slowly be choked to death.

Temporary tag sure. Permanent tag? Punishment for those who don't want to go.
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#9 Feb 28 2012 at 10:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
828 posts
Vackashken wrote:
Temporary tag sure. Permanent tag? Punishment for those who don't want to go.

if i recall they are going to relaunch the servers at 2.0 so i would assume they'd probably lose the eu tag at the same time to balance out the player spread somewhat.

all depends on the success of 2.0 and ps3 release i guess
____________________________


#10 Feb 28 2012 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
Vackashken wrote:
Again. Is it a great idea for now? Yes but its crap for the lot of us who don't want to go. An EU tag would guarantee we'd (we'd being the hundreds of players who are EU and DON'T want to go) never see any new EU people and would slowly be choked to death.

Temporary tag sure. Permanent tag? Punishment for those who don't want to go.


Well, glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I'm on Wutai, one of the lowest population servers going and I still meet a decent amount of EU players. My LS had a significant proportion of EU players and that leaves us in a dilemma, do we split and leave people we have had some great times with, some going to one server and others going to the "EU" server. Or do we stick together only to be left missing out as that "EU" tag will never leave Ragnarok if it does not close down.

I don't feel I've missed out so far on playing with people from my timezone but that could be taken away from me because of this change.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#11 Feb 28 2012 at 4:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
544 posts
Metin wrote:
Vackashken wrote:
Again. Is it a great idea for now? Yes but its crap for the lot of us who don't want to go. An EU tag would guarantee we'd (we'd being the hundreds of players who are EU and DON'T want to go) never see any new EU people and would slowly be choked to death.

Temporary tag sure. Permanent tag? Punishment for those who don't want to go.


Well, glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I'm on Wutai, one of the lowest population servers going and I still meet a decent amount of EU players. My LS had a significant proportion of EU players and that leaves us in a dilemma, do we split and leave people we have had some great times with, some going to one server and others going to the "EU" server. Or do we stick together only to be left missing out as that "EU" tag will never leave Ragnarok if it does not close down.

I don't feel I've missed out so far on playing with people from my timezone but that could be taken away from me because of this change.


Albeit it it might not help your particular server - there are a lot of EU LSes that aren't going to ragnarock. Like you we like playing with the NA people we've made bonds with. We have an EU/NA LS so there is something basically to do 24 hours a day so have never had a real problem.

All in all if it does give LSes like ours problems then there will be another server merge at 2.0 and we can all decide from there. But it seems (from what friends of those countries persuasions) a lot of the EU going there are going to be French German and Spanish so they can speak their own language. A lot of people feel like us - preferring the collage of players to hang with.

Again, if it doesn't work 2.0 will give us another chance. But I don't think we'll need it.
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#12 Feb 29 2012 at 3:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Well, if you don't want to play on a given server for whatever reason, don't. I suspect a lot of EU players are very happy about it as they'll be able to do things with people in their time zone. If someone has a limited amount of time to play during the day/week, then I'd think you could understand them wanting to play during the server's prime time population numbers.

You claim you want to play on a multi-cultural server, but then complain that you'll never see another EU player again. Which is it? You will see other EU players, but they'll be more uncommon, but you'll also get to play with NA, JP, and other players from around the world. If multi-culturalism is something you like about the game, I don't see why you should be offended by letting others go to a server they like. You'll still have the ability to play with people from around the world and they'll be able to play with (largely) other EU players.

This just strikes me as win-win.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#13 Feb 29 2012 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
Caia wrote:
You claim you want to play on a multi-cultural server, but then complain that you'll never see another EU player again. Which is it?


How much fail is that right there? Which is it? you dont present two different situations. I want multiculture so I will complain if there are no EU on other servers, thats quite straight forward. If theres no/very little EU how is it a multicultural server? When I say multiculture I'm not excluding the culture of which I am part. I want to play with EU and NA and JP. If Ragnarok carries on and is forever labeled as the EU server we will eventually have 10 Servers with very very few EU players and one server with most EU players and very very few NA/JP players. I think that is bad.

EU player numbers on a multicultural server will never be as big as the NA/JP numbers but thats not what I mean. I meet a significant amount of EU players even now on the lowest population server going. In that regard the rate that I meet EU players will become worse if Ragnarok continues.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#14 Feb 29 2012 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,691 posts
The main reason I could see for them doing this on the current segregated servers (current players wont be allowed to swap to the new servers when they add them) is that they are possibly planning to have regional servers for v2. JP, NA and EU. They will probably allow you to select freely but most will probably pick the ones they offer as your countries server selections..JP especially would love this I would think.
#15 Feb 29 2012 at 4:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Metin wrote:
Caia wrote:
You claim you want to play on a multi-cultural server, but then complain that you'll never see another EU player again. Which is it?


How much fail is that right there?


It's not as much fail as you think.

I sympathize that you don't want segregated servers; I'm usually against the notion of English-only and Japanese-only servers myself. However, in the case of a small population of Europeans, the status quo amounts to 10 servers of Europeans who struggle to find people who play at the same time they do. I think of it as the worst-case-scenario.

Ragnarok is not EU-only. There will be NA and JP players there (and they'll inevitably be the majority of players). And if you're EU, you don't have to go there if you don't want to. Of course it's not the perfect ideal, but there's little about FFXIV that has been ideal up to this point. I think it's the best, non-intrusive solution SE could offer at this time, and it's far better than doing nothing.
#16 Feb 29 2012 at 8:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
You'll still see EU people playing on other servers. It may be lessened, but they'll still be there and ergo it'll be a multicultural server. If your only concern here is that lack of multiculturalism, then I don't think you should be terribly worried.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#17 Mar 01 2012 at 4:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
544 posts
250 Germans are moving to Ragnarock. 250+ French are moving to Ragnarock. And A few Japanese shells on Selbina stated they want to go there as well.

This validates why we never wanted to go there.

Good luck
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#18 Mar 02 2012 at 4:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
I actually think I've met more EU players on Wutai than I ever did on XI. This is one area in particular I dont want XIV to become more like XI. Simply combining the servers would have been the ideal. If its always marked as EU it'll be a step backwards.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#19 Mar 03 2012 at 3:11 PM Rating: Decent
So I am seriously thinking about trying FFXIV now that jobs have appeared, I don't want to wait till 2.0 I have been waiting since launch to pick the right time to start and post server merge seems like as good a time as any which brings me to my point; What server will I be able to get on as a new player?
Will I be forced to go on Ragnarok or will I get a choice?
Also anyone know if there are any old TKLS (Valefor FFXI) people playing FFXIV these days?
____________________________
Can you see what it is yet?
#20 Mar 05 2012 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
331 posts
Seems like Ragnarok is here to stay! ^^

From the French Forums:

Bonsoir !

Voilà juste un petit message pour vous confirmer que la population du Monde Ragnarok se porte très bien pour le moment, assez bien pour nous permettre de garder ce Monde Donc aucun risque de ne le voir disparaitre à partir de maintenant !

Il reste encore de la place cependant pour accueillir de nouveaux migrants !

---

Good Evening!

This is just a short note to confirm that the population of the Ragnarok world is going very well at the moment, well enough to permit us to keep this world. So in other words, there are no risks in seeing it disappear from now on.

There is still place however to welcome new immigrants!
____________________________
Maera, Mithra on Cerberus

#21 Mar 06 2012 at 12:11 PM Rating: Default
Indeed I shall be going to Ragnarok and making the mightyest EU endgame ls in all history, now what shall I call it hmmm...how about "counting dead sheep"? :P
____________________________
Can you see what it is yet?
#22 Mar 07 2012 at 5:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
544 posts
You'd be smarter going to Balmung and joining the real deal. :P
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)