Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

SE in decline ? FFXIII-2 Sales 60% less than XIIIFollow

#1 Feb 28 2012 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Disclaimer: This is not a knock at SE, nor i am saying FFXIII-2 sucked or bombed, just numbers.

America = 21,135 copies (518,539 sales overall); ranked #19 (PS3); 63.8% (PS3) and 72.6% (360) drop in sales

Europe = 63,003 copies(312,571 sales overall); ranked #1 (PS3) and #16 (360); 32.6% (PS3) and 40% (360) drop in sales

Japan = 4,276 copies (811,219 sales overall); ranked #24 (PS3); 6.7% (PS3) drop in sales

Europe broken down:

UK = 14,410 copies; ranked #7 (PS3) and #17 (360); 35.6% (PS3) and 47% (360) drop in sales

Germany = 8,129 copies; ranked #2 (PS3) and #31 (360); 36% (PS3) and 36.9% (360) drop in sales

France = 14,221 copies; ranked #1 (PS3) and #11 (360); 26.4% (PS3) and -30.6% (360) drop in sales

Global sales this week = 114,899 sales

Total Global sales = 1.95 million sales

In comparison FFXIII sold 6.2 million copies World Wide.
____________________________
MUTED
#2 Feb 28 2012 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Idk if the numbers say SE is in decline. I think maybe the reason for the numbers is that the game just let out in January and secondly, since the reviews for 13 were not the best, maybe buyers, like myself, are holding back to get it, more buyer beware?

I think a few more SE titles need to be released before one can say SE is I decline. Ostia, maybe run the # or some past titles as well? I would be interested in seeing them.

____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#3 Feb 28 2012 at 2:43 PM Rating: Excellent
I just don't buy games at full price anymore. Seriously, 59.99 for a game? No thanks. I just wait a few months to a year and get it for 20-30$. Not to mention, if you're like me, you still have 10 other games on the backburner needing to be played. I think the biggest factor though is XIII left a bad taste in many people's mouth, so most are avoiding it despite any positive feedback.
____________________________

#4 Feb 28 2012 at 3:24 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
562 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Not to mention, if you're like me, you still have 10 other games on the backburner needing to be played.


This is the biggest deterrent to me. I'm not even looking at new games at the moment, between the games I've purchased on Steam that have never even been installed, the blockbuster titles I've yet to complete (Skyrim, Arkham City, etc) and any MMO subscription, I'm simply not looking for a release-date purchase. I won't get around to playing it until it's been discounted in price anyway.

Also OP,

Ostia wrote:
Disclaimer: This is not a knock at SE


Yes it is. When you editorialize your title with "SE in decline?" right out of the gate you're trying to make a statement. There's nothing wrong with that, this is a forum for discussions after all, but playing coy and attempting to cloak the message in a veil of impartiality makes it hard to take seriously regardless of whatever disclaimer one may put at the top. The very same headline on your post could have said:

"SE popularity booming? FFXIII-2 Sales top almost 2 million less than a month after release!"

This community already does a decent enough job of polarizing into camps regarding the decisions of SE and the future of the Final Fantasy franchise.
____________________________
FFXIV - Fellows - Fabul
FFXI - Fellows - Gilgamesh


#5 Feb 28 2012 at 3:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
Didn't we have a thread on this already?
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#6 Feb 28 2012 at 4:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
After playing FFXIV for its first year I would say **** yes SE is in decline. If that terrible mess wasnt a decline in quality of their previous products then I would HATE to play their previous products.
____________________________


#7 Feb 28 2012 at 4:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Didn't we have a thread on this already?


lol...A thread? I thought we were at a dozen minimum.
____________________________



#8 Feb 28 2012 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
kainsilv wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Didn't we have a thread on this already?


lol...A thread? I thought we were at a dozen minimum.


Nah, I specifically remember this one.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#9 Feb 28 2012 at 5:23 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Ostia, maybe run the # or some past titles as well? I would be interested in seeing them.



FF type 0 0.78 million
Front mission evolved 0.24 million
Dawn of mana 430 thousand
Birth by sleep 1.83 million
Dungeon siege III 0.23 million
The 3rd birthday 0.43 million
Nier 0.43 million

I put the most recent for each series(type 0 has not been released worldwide and it will probably sell like hotcakes is an awesome game.)
____________________________
MUTED
#10 Feb 28 2012 at 6:36 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,612 posts
I didn't buy FFXIII-2 because it's a "part 2" of a game I didn't like, and didn't play for more than 20 hours. If they had developed a new story, or a continuation of a more popular game in the series, then I definitely would have considered it.
____________________________
"Abashed, the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is..."
#11 Feb 28 2012 at 6:44 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
I think its because FF13 was so bad that alot of people didnb't wanna bother with 13-2.

Also how do I get from Limsa to Gridania? heh.
#12 Feb 28 2012 at 6:47 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Scyris

Yeah probably. And follow the yellow brick road? Lol. Look on your map and you should be able to see a road leading from gridania to Uldah. It will be a bit of a hike but worth it. If you can try and hit the aethyrites on the way there.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#13 Feb 28 2012 at 6:49 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Scyris

Yeah probably. And follow the yellow brick road? Lol. Look on your map and you should be able to see a road leading from gridania to Uldah. It will be a bit of a hike but worth it. If you can try and hit the aethyrites on the way there.


Sorry if I am driving u all nuts with questions pretty much everytime i try to talk to someone in game their are either japanese, or afk, or just outright ignore me.
#14 Feb 28 2012 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
I wouldn't expect a spin-off title to compare in sales to a "numbered" Final Fantasy title.

Similar to X-2, XIII-2 recycles monsters, characters, the combat system, and even certain environments from XIII. It's more of an "expansion pack" than a full game. Factor in the price point ($60 is a bit high, especially when you consider the additional cost of DLC), and there's no way sales will come close to matching a regular title where everything is new.

This is a game for those liked XIII, and wanted to give it another go-around on the promise that the experience would be less linear. Everyone else will pass, or buy it from the bargain bin. I don't think anyone, including SE, really expected anything different.
#15 Feb 28 2012 at 7:06 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Scyris wrote:
I think its because FF13 was so bad that alot of people didnb't wanna bother with 13-2.

Also how do I get from Limsa to Gridania? heh.


If i remember correctly, you can take a ship from limsa to uldah, then cross 3 zones into a foerest and go up to gridania, or you can take an airship.
____________________________
MUTED
#16 Feb 28 2012 at 8:06 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Scyris wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Scyris

Yeah probably. And follow the yellow brick road? Lol. Look on your map and you should be able to see a road leading from gridania to Uldah. It will be a bit of a hike but worth it. If you can try and hit the aethyrites on the way there.


Sorry if I am driving u all nuts with questions pretty much everytime i try to talk to someone in game their are either japanese, or afk, or just outright ignore me.


You aren't driving us crazy at all. Hope we are able to help :P And I misread, I could have sworn you asked about Gridania to Uldah XD. So, I'm not quite sure about the ship. Also, I thought airships were in this game now. Shoudln't you be able to take the airship from there to Uldah?

Anyone else who still plays able to instruct him on using the airships? Do you need an airship pass? Or is it open to all players of all levels?
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#17 Feb 28 2012 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
****
7,106 posts
There's really no point in playing XIII-2 without having played XIII -- the story and characters follow directly from the first game, and would be nonsensical without it even if you diligently read the summary of XIII. That means that the total number of players who could possibly be interested in FFXIII-2 is limited to the people who bought the first game. Even if the first game had been universally loved, there's no way the sequel would have done matching numbers -- every single person who bought the first would have had to buy the second.

40% is actually a fantastic sequel-adopter rate, especially when the first game has been out for two years and the second is two months old. I bet SE is thrilled with those numbers. I'm a little shocked that they're so high. Perhaps a lot of people bought the first one used and the second new, and so aren't accounted for in those sales numbers for XIII? Otherwise, close to half of the people who bought FXIII any time in the past two years liked it enough to buy the sequel immediately upon its release. That's possible, but seems unlikely to me given how many amazing games there were over Christmas this year.

Either way, though, those are great numbers for a game that basically requires beating another game first.
#18 Feb 28 2012 at 9:08 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Well I would be curious to see how many copies FFX-2 sold compared to its extremely popular and well-received originator, FFX. It may just be that people hate sequels to sequels, especially if they didn't particularly care for the game on which they're based.

~

Actually, I went and checked, and it turns out that FFX-2 sold only about 65% as many copies as FFX. Additionally, FFXIII-2 is actually the 17th best-selling "Final Fantasy" titled game out of the 53 results that my search returned.

SE in decline? Not from the statistics you provided.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Feb 28 2012 at 10:21 PM Rating: Good
Caesura wrote:
There's really no point in playing XIII-2 without having played XIII -- the story and characters follow directly from the first game, and would be nonsensical without it even if you diligently read the summary of XIII.


Gotta tell you though, even if you've played through XIII, it was nonsensical. It's probably better to not have played XIII in the first place...that's how bad it was. I'm 11 Chapters into XIII right now, and have a vague idea of what's going on. There are plot summaries you can check out as you go, but seriously, make it so playing through the game makes me understand 100% what's going on.
____________________________

#20 Feb 28 2012 at 10:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
@Ostia: By same logic, Bioware was in decline. Look at Dragon Age 2 sales vs Dragon Age: Origins.

Oh wait, they were actually opening more Bioware studios...
____________________________




#21 Feb 29 2012 at 1:34 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
You do not have to play XIII in order to understand XIII-2. As for bioware when DA2 was released that was their FFXIII, by comparison MA2 sold as good as MA1, and we all know how Swotor is doing Also.
____________________________
MUTED
#22 Feb 29 2012 at 5:21 AM Rating: Good
***
1,408 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Idk if the numbers say SE is in decline. I think maybe the reason for the numbers is that the game just let out in January and secondly, since the reviews for 13 were not the best, maybe buyers, like myself, are holding back to get it, more buyer beware?

I think a few more SE titles need to be released before one can say SE is I decline. Ostia, maybe run the # or some past titles as well? I would be interested in seeing them.


I didnt get it because I have to finish the appauling XIII.... I hated the follow this route feel for too much of the game. Anyway enough of the hatred, I had such anticipation for that game and sadly didnt give me what I wanted. I will get XIII-2 but I will be waiting a while for the game to be cheaper. I also purchased XIV and again I was not happy with what I got and as a result I will not be purchasing any Final Fantasy games straight away. I plan on seeing reviews first and SE only has their own attitude to blame on that. I spent a lot of money on getting two games (special editions/pre-orders) and they did not live up to expectations....

When FF8 was released after having such huge expectations after 7 I was only disappointed in the characters (a few of them) other than that to me I loved the game. Again with 9 I was a bit disappointed with the story, 10 I did not feel any disappointment. And thats what keeps us going finding great games with only minor flaws...

I will get XIII-2 one day but not just yet.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#23 Feb 29 2012 at 5:47 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,083 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I just don't buy games at full price anymore. Seriously, 59.99 for a game? No thanks. I just wait a few months to a year and get it for 20-30$. Not to mention, if you're like me, you still have 10 other games on the backburner needing to be played. I think the biggest factor though is XIII left a bad taste in many people's mouth, so most are avoiding it despite any positive feedback.


Exactly.

Also, I don't buy games have extensive DLC since it will simply all be bundled in some subsequent version of the game. I will definitely be one of those numbers at some points but why waste my money?
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#24 Feb 29 2012 at 6:45 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
What does the dlc in 13-2 include?
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#25 Feb 29 2012 at 7:27 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Ostia wrote:
FF type 0 0.78 million
Front mission evolved 0.24 million
Dawn of mana 430 thousand
Birth by sleep 1.83 million
Dungeon siege III 0.23 million
The 3rd birthday 0.43 million
Nier 0.43 million

Just Cause 2 2.78 million (not counting Steam sales)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution 2.3 million (not counting Steam sales)

So even if FF eats it, count on more Just Cause and Deus Ex.


Edited, Feb 29th 2012 8:30am by Almalexia
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#26 Feb 29 2012 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
What does the dlc in 13-2 include?


so far:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XIII-2_Downloadable_Content

with more scenarios to come as I understand it.
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#27 Feb 29 2012 at 8:15 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Well I would be curious to see how many copies FFX-2 sold compared to its extremely popular and well-received originator, FFX. It may just be that people hate sequels to sequels, especially if they didn't particularly care for the game on which they're based.

~

Actually, I went and checked, and it turns out that FFX-2 sold only about 65% as many copies as FFX. Additionally, FFXIII-2 is actually the 17th best-selling "Final Fantasy" titled game out of the 53 results that my search returned.

SE in decline? Not from the statistics you provided.


I would hope that X-2 didn't sell as many copies as X. I was utterly disappointed with X-2. For a long while I was embarrassed to admit I purchased that game. I still am a little bit. At least they didn't make the same mistake they did with X-2 in XIII-2. XIII-2 was actually a good game. When it comes to first impressions, I liked it more than both XIII and XII. I have to be honest. The only things I really didn't like about XIII were the linear level designs and the fact that I didn't have access to all of my party members for around half the game. Other than those I was a decent game I thought. It was much better playing through the second time around when I played through it to get ready for XIII-2.

rikkuotaku wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
What does the dlc in 13-2 include?


so far:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XIII-2_Downloadable_Content

with more scenarios to come as I understand it.


The more scenarios DLC is more of a guess based on how the story went. Some people think there will be continued story through DLC and others think they should just make a XIII-3. It hasn't been confirmed nor hinted at either way. I, personally, think they should make a XIII-3, but then again that would take longer to make and take up resources from versus. They need to release that game already.
____________________________
#28 Feb 29 2012 at 8:36 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
I was having quite a bit of fun with FF XIII-2. I did finish it as a matter of fact, but only just barely. It may sound petty, but what really made me dislike this game was the Brain Blast mini game. Talk about ridiculous. Heads or Tails, Left Hand or Right Hand. I mean, really SE..... REALLY!?!?!?!
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#29 Feb 29 2012 at 10:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
196 posts
Khornette wrote:
@Ostia: By same logic, Bioware was in decline. Look at Dragon Age 2 sales vs Dragon Age: Origins.

Oh wait, they were actually opening more Bioware studios...


A development studio can't go in decline :\ ... EA on the other hand (the one's funding bioware) is in a nosedive..

Square Enix is all over the place in terms of finance, they aren't exactly dying, but they aren't really succeeding either..
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#30 Feb 29 2012 at 10:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
437 posts
I know its not really the point of the thread but XIII-2 is a lot better than XIII :) The sales figures suck because XIII sucked. Also possibly because of how poor X-2 was compared to X people will probably stay away from the sequels.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#31 Feb 29 2012 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
LebargeX wrote:
I was having quite a bit of fun with FF XIII-2. I did finish it as a matter of fact, but only just barely. It may sound petty, but what really made me dislike this game was the Brain Blast mini game. Talk about ridiculous. Heads or Tails, Left Hand or Right Hand. I mean, really SE..... REALLY!?!?!?!


Definately hate that part, I've been lucky though and only failed the 50/50 question on one of the terminals.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#32 Feb 29 2012 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
179 posts
SE has finally driven me away from their Final Fantasy games.. which is sad because I've pretty much played FF my whole life. If they make FFXIV phenomenal or come out with an epic new FF game I would gladly go back to buying their games, but until then, myself and gamers like me are steering clear of their games.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#33 Feb 29 2012 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,691 posts
Can't judge much by a -2 of what many considered a bad game, it's the same basic game with some reworking.

The next FF title they produce will show if they have done massive damage to themselved or not.
#34 Feb 29 2012 at 1:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I just don't buy games at full price anymore. Seriously, 59.99 for a game? No thanks. I just wait a few months to a year and get it for 20-30$. Not to mention, if you're like me, you still have 10 other games on the backburner needing to be played. I think the biggest factor though is XIII left a bad taste in many people's mouth, so most are avoiding it despite any positive feedback.


Exactly.

Also, I don't buy games have extensive DLC since it will simply all be bundled in some subsequent version of the game. I will definitely be one of those numbers at some points but why waste my money?


I agree.

Taxes came in and my roommate and I debated on whether to get FFXIII-2 or Skyward Sword as it was the two we narrowed it down to. Eventually, we settled on Skyward Sword (and haven't regretted it since).

Why?

Because it's a complete game, right out of the box. (Nintendo games being $10.00 cheaper help this as well.)

It's the same reason we haven't purchased Arkham City yet because of the DLC bundles that go into "Game of the Year" or "Ultimate" editions. We can wait a while, the game will come out with the bundled DLC *AND* a cheaper price, and we get more bang for the buck.

Plus there's, ya know, the fact that FFXIII has probably the worst of all FF stories (and not all are good either) and FFXIII-2 already is known to have a terrible excuse for a plot.
#35 Feb 29 2012 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
Viertel wrote:
rikkuotaku wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I just don't buy games at full price anymore. Seriously, 59.99 for a game? No thanks. I just wait a few months to a year and get it for 20-30$. Not to mention, if you're like me, you still have 10 other games on the backburner needing to be played. I think the biggest factor though is XIII left a bad taste in many people's mouth, so most are avoiding it despite any positive feedback.


Exactly.

Also, I don't buy games have extensive DLC since it will simply all be bundled in some subsequent version of the game. I will definitely be one of those numbers at some points but why waste my money?


I agree.

Taxes came in and my roommate and I debated on whether to get FFXIII-2 or Skyward Sword as it was the two we narrowed it down to. Eventually, we settled on Skyward Sword (and haven't regretted it since).

Why?

Because it's a complete game, right out of the box. (Nintendo games being $10.00 cheaper help this as well.)

It's the same reason we haven't purchased Arkham City yet because of the DLC bundles that go into "Game of the Year" or "Ultimate" editions. We can wait a while, the game will come out with the bundled DLC *AND* a cheaper price, and we get more bang for the buck.

Plus there's, ya know, the fact that FFXIII has probably the worst of all FF stories (and not all are good either) and FFXIII-2 already is known to have a terrible excuse for a plot.


Not even close.. the worst Final Fantasy story is Final Fantasy XIV..

Edited, Feb 29th 2012 2:48pm by nick2412
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#36 Feb 29 2012 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
nick2412 wrote:
Viertel wrote:
rikkuotaku wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I just don't buy games at full price anymore. Seriously, 59.99 for a game? No thanks. I just wait a few months to a year and get it for 20-30$. Not to mention, if you're like me, you still have 10 other games on the backburner needing to be played. I think the biggest factor though is XIII left a bad taste in many people's mouth, so most are avoiding it despite any positive feedback.


Exactly.

Also, I don't buy games have extensive DLC since it will simply all be bundled in some subsequent version of the game. I will definitely be one of those numbers at some points but why waste my money?


I agree.

Taxes came in and my roommate and I debated on whether to get FFXIII-2 or Skyward Sword as it was the two we narrowed it down to. Eventually, we settled on Skyward Sword (and haven't regretted it since).

Why?

Because it's a complete game, right out of the box. (Nintendo games being $10.00 cheaper help this as well.)

It's the same reason we haven't purchased Arkham City yet because of the DLC bundles that go into "Game of the Year" or "Ultimate" editions. We can wait a while, the game will come out with the bundled DLC *AND* a cheaper price, and we get more bang for the buck.

Plus there's, ya know, the fact that FFXIII has probably the worst of all FF stories (and not all are good either) and FFXIII-2 already is known to have a terrible excuse for a plot.


Not even close.. the worst Final Fantasy story is Final Fantasy XIV..

Edited, Feb 29th 2012 2:48pm by nick2412



FFXIV doesn't really have a bad story for a FF Online game. Especially compared to FFXI's vanilla story. Say what you want about the awful outdated MMO mechanics, but the story is actually pretty interesting.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#37 Feb 29 2012 at 2:12 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
UK,

I think story in games is just a matter of preference. I had a hard time following the story in 14 and 13 did leave a bitter taste in my mouth not to mention so confused. I still love FFX's story only seconded to FFVII, but many would disagree with me. Again matter of taste I think :)

____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#38 Feb 29 2012 at 2:29 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Lukky wrote:
SE has finally driven me away from their Final Fantasy games.. which is sad because I've pretty much played FF my whole life. If they make FFXIV phenomenal or come out with an epic new FF game I would gladly go back to buying their games, but until then, myself and gamers like me are steering clear of their games.


Keep an eye out for Final Fantasy Type 0, now it dint do so well in japan, as it only sold around 630k units, but the game is awesome, as far as gameplay is involved, for i dont understand japanese so dunno whats going on, but from what i seen, it looks like a solid *******

As far as comparing X2 to XIII2, well X2 sucked, that's no excuse for XIII2 doing bad, even tho is actually a better game than the original as far as gameplay, the storyline is another issue, they just threw it away and made some sh*t up because of paradoxes are cool i guess.

Oh and FFXIV storyline is not horrible, is just none existent as far as a developed storyline is concerned, from level 1-10 all you hear is the empire the empire the empire, from lvl 10-50 nothing changes, you hear more about this empire, but you actually know nothing about it by the time you reach 50, and well thats it, there is an empire that is doing stuff, for reasons, and now a meteor is coming. lol

Edited, Feb 29th 2012 3:34pm by Ostia
____________________________
MUTED
#39 Feb 29 2012 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
I liked X-2 :(
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#40 Feb 29 2012 at 5:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
nick2412 wrote:
Quote:
Plus there's, ya know, the fact that FFXIII has probably the worst of all FF stories (and not all are good either) and FFXIII-2 already is known to have a terrible excuse for a plot.


Not even close.. the worst Final Fantasy story is Final Fantasy XIV..

Two things:

A.) I would rather have a game with no story than a bad story.

II.) In retrospect, FFXIII's story is a standard JRPG affair: anti-establishment, pro-self-determinism, global domination, melodrama--all of the stuff we supposedly want in our Squenix games. The delivery, however, is very poor. The characters behave nonsensically (except Sazh and only Sazh), the VA quality is inconsistent, the focus is all over the place, and the game uses too much in-universe jargon that is foolishly dumped on you in the first hour.

That last point is a big one. Remember when Vanille blabbers out "IF A FAL'CIE MAKES YOU A L'CIE AND YOU DON'T COMPLETE YOUR (whatever the duty is called) YOU BECOME CIE'TH! GET IT?" and Hope has a small aneurysm--that was me. I had to ffwiki that sh*t because, by the end of the game, I didn't understand it enough to care.

If you look at the story in the sterile, clinical environment of a wiki, FFXIII has all the elements of a good JRPG tale. I can appreciate that now. I wish things had turned out better for the game as a whole.


Edited, Feb 29th 2012 6:57pm by Almalexia
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#41 Feb 29 2012 at 7:08 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Almalexia wrote:
Remember when Vanille blabbers out "IF A FAL'CIE MAKES YOU A L'CIE AND YOU DON'T COMPLETE YOUR (whatever the duty is called) YOU BECOME CIE'TH! GET IT?" and Hope has a small aneurysm--that was me. I had to ffwiki that sh*t because, by the end of the game, I didn't understand it enough to care.

If you look at the story in the sterile, clinical environment of a wiki, FFXIII has all the elements of a good JRPG tale. I can appreciate that now. I wish things had turned out better for the game as a whole.


I couldn't agree more; it was as though they tried their best to hide the story in that game.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#42 Feb 29 2012 at 8:06 PM Rating: Excellent
*
124 posts
I don't think anyone was expecting XIII-2 to break the sales of the original. These numbers don't mean that it was unsuccessful, nor does it mean that "SE is in decline".

It's a sequel made from plenty of existing assets. It doesn't need to sell that much to be profitable.
____________________________
Blynk [Gilgamesh] Blynk [Bodhum]
#43 Mar 02 2012 at 8:13 AM Rating: Good
**
821 posts
Yeah it doesn't need to sell much to be profitable, but at least SE should FINALLY accept, that Kitase sucks at making FF titles...FFX sucked ***, the initial sales didn't show that, but X-2 showed how "satisfied" the buyers of X were...

XIII-2 is just showing the same example again...XIII might had good overall sales, but XIII-2 is the indicator to how "satisfied" the buyers actually were...

I'm a huge FF Fan, I never left one copy of FF at the shelves...but this time, they can blow me...XIII-2 is not in my "wanna buy" list and the reviews show my expectations were about right. Thin storyline, no real reason to play it at all since it's just another 08/15 RPG with no real impulses, just like most J-RPGs these days.

Instead of wasting time and money on XIII-2, they should have pushed Versus XIII, which already looks more entertaining and fun and a better storyline than any FF since IX...sadly...

Before I'd buy myself XIII-2, I'd rather wait for Dragon's Dogma...
#44 Mar 04 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy (Sales based off wikipedia, anthologies/collections not included)

Aggregate review scores Game GameRankings Metacritic
Final Fantasy (PSP) 67.93% (PSP) 67 [2,040,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy II (PSP) 64.84% (PSP) 63 [1,430,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy III (NDS) 77.74% (NDS) 77 [1,930,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy IV (SNES)89.39%(NDS)85.09%(GBA)83.24%(NDS)85(GBA)85 [4,100,000 sold as of 2009]
Final Fantasy V (GBA) 82.45% (GBA) 83 [2,710,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)93.68%(GBA)90.65%(GBA)92 [3.48 mil sold as of 2003]
Final Fantasy VII (PS)92.10%(PC)87.00%(PS)92 [10 mil sold as of 2010]
Final Fantasy VIII (PS) 89.17%(PC)79.50%(PS)90 [8.15 mil sold as of2003]
Final Fantasy IX (PS) 93.32% (PS) 94 [5.30 mil sold as of 2003]
Final Fantasy X (PS2) 91.84% (PS2) 92 [6.6 mil sold as of 2004]
Final Fantasy XI (PS2) 85.13%(PC) 81.89% (X360) 69.33% (PS2) 85(PC) 85(X360) 66
Final Fantasy XII (PS2) 90.64% (PS2)92 [5.2 mil sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) 85.17%(X360) 82.18%(PS3)83(X360)82 [6.2 mil sold as of 2010]
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) 49.33%(PC)49

Is SE in decline? Yes, but they have been since the ps one era ended. This is not something just starting with the fabula series. After a peak what happens? You begin to decline some eventually as there is no other direction to go. People are just paying more attention now that SE is a big corporation and other developers are finally creating big budget high quality titles as well. XIII was a few tlc dev time tweaks away from being one of the best FF ever made. The last two games have received harsher criticism due to rushed development times. They aren't fooling any of the players into thinking they are not rushed.

The bigger question is does SE care about their reputation review and perception wise to stop doing the corporate move and ship the best game possible. Even if dev times increase substanially?

Or is this trend of trying to get more titles out the door for steady cash going to continue regardless if the days of 88+ metacritic never return?

I enjoyed all FF including XIII & XIII-2, imo they don't deserve quite the level of harsh critisicm they receive. Actually replaying XIII now. If these environments were zone based and explorable, man Kamikokuryo created something beautiful. Love Hamauzu's soundtrack and ambience in this title.
#45 Mar 04 2012 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Ostia wrote:

Oh and FFXIV storyline is not horrible, is just none existent as far as a developed storyline is concerned, from level 1-10 all you hear is the empire the empire the empire, from lvl 10-50 nothing changes, you hear more about this empire, but you actually know nothing about it by the time you reach 50, and well thats it, there is an empire that is doing stuff, for reasons, and now a meteor is coming. lol


I'll cut you some slack since you've never really liked the game.


Seventh Umbral Era
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#46 Mar 04 2012 at 2:24 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Ostia wrote:

Oh and FFXIV storyline is not horrible, is just none existent as far as a developed storyline is concerned, from level 1-10 all you hear is the empire the empire the empire, from lvl 10-50 nothing changes, you hear more about this empire, but you actually know nothing about it by the time you reach 50, and well thats it, there is an empire that is doing stuff, for reasons, and now a meteor is coming. lol


I'll cut you some slack since you've never really liked the game.


Seventh Umbral Era


There is a meteor...... Actually you can say there are 2, the magick the empire is planning on using, and that fake moon on the sky, either will be used to "Change the world ala cata/Eq2."

so what was your point ?
____________________________
MUTED
#47 Mar 04 2012 at 2:39 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Thank you sand for posting what you found. It is interesting indeed. I think the people doing the grunt work on the projects care, however it's the suits that maybe causing the quality issues due to such strict timelines needing to be met? Just a guess.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#48 Mar 04 2012 at 3:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
sandpark wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy (Sales based off wikipedia, anthologies/collections not included)

Aggregate review scores Game GameRankings Metacritic
Final Fantasy (PSP) 67.93% (PSP) 67 [2,040,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy II (PSP) 64.84% (PSP) 63 [1,430,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy III (NDS) 77.74% (NDS) 77 [1,930,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy IV (SNES)89.39%(NDS)85.09%(GBA)83.24%(NDS)85(GBA)85 [4,100,000 sold as of 2009]
Final Fantasy V (GBA) 82.45% (GBA) 83 [2,710,000 sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)93.68%(GBA)90.65%(GBA)92 [3.48 mil sold as of 2003]
Final Fantasy VII (PS)92.10%(PC)87.00%(PS)92 [10 mil sold as of 2010]
Final Fantasy VIII (PS) 89.17%(PC)79.50%(PS)90 [8.15 mil sold as of2003]
Final Fantasy IX (PS) 93.32% (PS) 94 [5.30 mil sold as of 2003]
Final Fantasy X (PS2) 91.84% (PS2) 92 [6.6 mil sold as of 2004]
Final Fantasy XI (PS2) 85.13%(PC) 81.89% (X360) 69.33% (PS2) 85(PC) 85(X360) 66
Final Fantasy XII (PS2) 90.64% (PS2)92 [5.2 mil sold as of 2007]
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) 85.17%(X360) 82.18%(PS3)83(X360)82 [6.2 mil sold as of 2010]
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) 49.33%(PC)49


Posting the scores and sales of re-releases and faithful remakes of 20-ish year old titles is incredibly disingenuous and misleading. The first 9 games were originally launched on systems that are retired well before before a lot of the modern tracking sites were even in existence. The first Final Fantasy game is pitiful compared to modern titles, but it was amazing in the late 80s when the only game in town was the 8-bit NES. And that's really what's important, not how it does on the PSP.

If you want to look at the last 5 games, they were all good or great, in both sales and reviews, except for the one and only that ever bombed: Final Fantasy XIV. Either XIV is the beginning of the end, or it's a shameful blip that we'll never speak of again after it recovers. That has yet to be determined, however.

#49 Mar 04 2012 at 3:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
Ostia wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Ostia wrote:

Oh and FFXIV storyline is not horrible, is just none existent as far as a developed storyline is concerned, from level 1-10 all you hear is the empire the empire the empire, from lvl 10-50 nothing changes, you hear more about this empire, but you actually know nothing about it by the time you reach 50, and well thats it, there is an empire that is doing stuff, for reasons, and now a meteor is coming. lol


I'll cut you some slack since you've never really liked the game.


Seventh Umbral Era


There is a meteor...... Actually you can say there are 2, the magick the empire is planning on using, and that fake moon on the sky, either will be used to "Change the world ala cata/Eq2."

so what was your point ?


Still wrong. I was going to tell you to try again, but well... I'll just explain it. Spoilers ahead if you haven't played the storyline

The Garlean empire wants to get rid of the primals and beastmen (this is shown via the level 30, 34, and 38 quests), they're not considered so much as the main enemy/threat, but more of the anti-hero of the storyline. While the three city-states want to make and maintain peaceful relations with the beastmen and primals, the Garlean empire wants to rid of them entirely.

Where the level 46 quest leaves off (the current end), children from the city-states and areas that the empire has conquered have been kidnapped and brainwashed by the imperials and are being trained to become future soldiers in the imperial army.

As far as the empire and seventh umbral era is concerned, Dalamud (Eorzea's second moon) is being cast in like a meteor by the Garleans in order to rid the primals and beastmen of their power. It's growing larger every patch and that's the basis for how the zones are to be re-vamped.


Anyway, my point is there is indeed a storyline, you just don't seem to understand any of it.




Edited, Mar 4th 2012 1:47pm by UltKnightGrover

Edited, Mar 4th 2012 1:53pm by UltKnightGrover

Edited, Mar 4th 2012 1:53pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#50 Mar 04 2012 at 3:46 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Xoie, I don't believe Sand's post was disingenuous. He was just trying to join in the chatter. :o
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#51 Mar 04 2012 at 4:50 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Ostia wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Ostia wrote:

Oh and FFXIV storyline is not horrible, is just none existent as far as a developed storyline is concerned, from level 1-10 all you hear is the empire the empire the empire, from lvl 10-50 nothing changes, you hear more about this empire, but you actually know nothing about it by the time you reach 50, and well thats it, there is an empire that is doing stuff, for reasons, and now a meteor is coming. lol


I'll cut you some slack since you've never really liked the game.


Seventh Umbral Era


There is a meteor...... Actually you can say there are 2, the magick the empire is planning on using, and that fake moon on the sky, either will be used to "Change the world ala cata/Eq2."

so what was your point ?


Still wrong. I was going to tell you to try again, but well... I'll just explain it. Spoilers ahead if you haven't played the storyline

The Garlean empire wants to get rid of the primals and beastmen (this is shown via the level 30, 34, and 38 quests), they're not considered so much as the main enemy/threat, but more of the anti-hero of the storyline. While the three city-states want to make and maintain peaceful relations with the beastmen and primals, the Garlean empire wants to rid of them entirely.

Where the level 46 quest leaves off (the current end), children from the city-states and areas that the empire has conquered have been kidnapped and brainwashed by the imperials and are being trained to become future soldiers in the imperial army.

As far as the empire and seventh umbral era is concerned, Dalamud (Eorzea's second moon) is being cast in like a meteor by the Garleans in order to rid the primals and beastmen of their power. It's growing larger every patch and that's the basis for how the zones are to be re-vamped.


Anyway, my point is there is indeed a storyline, you just don't seem to understand any of it.




Edited, Mar 4th 2012 1:47pm by UltKnightGrover

Edited, Mar 4th 2012 1:53pm by UltKnightGrover

Edited, Mar 4th 2012 1:53pm by UltKnightGrover


Ok i think you dint understand my overall point, yes there is some sort of story, but it is not as developed as i or anybody would hope it would be, considering is already 2 years into the game, the story is as it was at release, just with 2 primals on the scene, we still nothing about the empire as we did back then, there are still only 2 empire main characters(3 if you count cid) we know little to nothing about the main characters and what their motivations are, there is no knowledge about the empire as a whole, or any other region of the world, can you tell me who the leader of the empire is ? how did the empire obtain such advance technology when they where just a little nation before ? what about ishgard etc etc ?

See there is a storyline, but after 2 years, it has not moved an inch :/
____________________________
MUTED
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)