Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Transport Network = better city population distribution ?Follow

#1 Mar 08 2012 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
221 posts
[dev1307] The Grand Companies of Eorzea have introduced the “aetherial transport network” to make travel within city-states quicker and more convenient. To make use of the network, players must first purchase an “aetherpass” available at Grand Company headquarters for members ranked Private First Class and higher.

Just noticed this in the patch notes. Hoping this will help balance out the population in the cities a bit by making travel within LL and Grid more convenient.
____________________________

#2 Mar 08 2012 at 11:24 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
It says within cities not between them, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#3 Mar 08 2012 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
I hope it does but I think most people are pretty used to Uldah being home. Unless they link the Auction Houses I don't think the population will budge.
____________________________



#4 Mar 08 2012 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
Kain, that's the fix I was hoping for is shared AHs. Maybe in 2.0 who knows.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#5 Mar 08 2012 at 2:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
828 posts
reading the patch notes its limited to your grand companies city only
maybe half way in this post
____________________________


#6 Mar 08 2012 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
So many factors pushed Ul'Dah as the only town that matters.

1. Central location (Limsa and Grid should have been equidistant to avoid making Ul'Dah the central hub)
2. Central Storyline beyond low levels (Limsa and Grid should have had their own storylines, or at least shared equally in the ones Ul'Dah has the monopoly on)
3. Good layout (Limsa and Grid should not have been so spread out / difficult to navigate in the first place)
4. Non-centralized Market Wards (This would be okay if each community were vibrant in its own right, but since everyone is in Ul'Dah, it actually works against Limsa and Grid)
5. Grand Companies (Again, this works against Limsa and Grid. If certain advantages and rewards are only obtainable through a dominant GC, everyone will flock to Ul'Dah so as not to be left out)

This solution, to make towns easier to navigate, sounds like applying medicine to a dead patient. It won't change a thing now that the damage has been done.
#7 Mar 08 2012 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
221 posts
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
It says within cities not between them, I wouldn't get my hopes up.


Yeah that's what I said in my OP lol - within cities. One of the main reasons people avoided LL and Grid was their layouts - it took a long time to get around compared to Uldah, which is layed out in a simple "wheel" fashion.
____________________________

#8 Mar 08 2012 at 4:05 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
221 posts
Dzian wrote:
reading the patch notes its limited to your grand companies city only
maybe half way in this post


Works for me since my GC is in Grid lol...
____________________________

#9 Mar 08 2012 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
zpanda wrote:
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
It says within cities not between them, I wouldn't get my hopes up.


Yeah that's what I said in my OP lol - within cities. One of the main reasons people avoided LL and Grid was their layouts - it took a long time to get around compared to Uldah, which is layed out in a simple "wheel" fashion.


Grid is the easiest to navigate as it's all a single level, but the most separated by actual distance (LL feels longer to me, but I timed it and unless my math sucks the time between tele in, wards, adventurers guild was longest in Grid). Ul'Dah is actually odd to navigate due to the way the map system works because stairs going up don't go anywhere, it does have the advantage of closest market/quest hub. Grid would be next easiest. And LL is just a pain for me, which sucks because it's the best looking city.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#10 Mar 08 2012 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
Xoie wrote:
So many factors pushed Ul'Dah as the only town that matters.

1. Central location (Limsa and Grid should have been equidistant to avoid making Ul'Dah the central hub)
2. Central Storyline beyond low levels (Limsa and Grid should have had their own storylines, or at least shared equally in the ones Ul'Dah has the monopoly on)
3. Good layout (Limsa and Grid should not have been so spread out / difficult to navigate in the first place)
4. Non-centralized Market Wards (This would be okay if each community were vibrant in its own right, but since everyone is in Ul'Dah, it actually works against Limsa and Grid)
5. Grand Companies (Again, this works against Limsa and Grid. If certain advantages and rewards are only obtainable through a dominant GC, everyone will flock to Ul'Dah so as not to be left out)

This solution, to make towns easier to navigate, sounds like applying medicine to a dead patient. It won't change a thing now that the damage has been done.


I think more specifically If you're going Aetheryte > Wards, Leve NPC, CityExit, Choco then Uldah is the shortest distance for all.

I like Gridania, but the distance I have to travel when i tele there to any of those 3 is ridiculous.

Otherwise, I think its interesting that (I'm assuming) ALL servers have Uldah as their hub. It could have ended up differently for each server much like the Outside Jeuno flea market was in Rolanberry and Batallia on others. (Batallia was much more sensible ^.^ )
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#11 Mar 09 2012 at 1:26 AM Rating: Good
**
325 posts
I like Gridania but with the addition of the teles and no tele to conjurers guild? That's the longest run of all...
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)