Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Would I enjoy FFXIV now? Follow

#1 Mar 14 2012 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
51 posts
I got a free copy of FFXIV two days after the games original release date from my disgruntled friend who vowed to quote "never play that piece of crap again and stick to FFXI"

I enthusiastically accepted the free copy of the game and began making my character. Immediately after doing so I noticed some major problems. Primarily speaking, my computer lagged like all **** while playing the game. This issue should probably still bother me but not to the same extent. I still have the same old 2007 machine, but I have upgraded the graphics card quite a bit since the last time I played FFXIV.

Something else that I noticed when playing FFXIV back then was the lack of community the game seemed to have. I don't mean lack of players, or lack of communication by players. I mean actual lack of community, as in ex FFXI players quitting after about a day or two going back to FFXI and not sticking around long enough for me to even do a single group activity with any of them. This was very disheartening and so I eventually left the game as well, not really having given it much of a chance.

It has been well over one year since I originally tried FFXIV and I am honestly surprised to see the game is still alive...
I would have bet money that the developers would have just cut their losses and let the project shut down, but I suppose SE wants to save face.

This brings me to today, I feel like giving this game a second chance now. However, I want to make sure that the issues that bothered me significantly have been in some way or another addressed so I will list them here, in hopes that you, the community can enlighten me on the current state of these issues.

#1. Game required a very solid PC at the time of release. Is this still the case? Did they lower system requirements, or optimize the game differently?

#2. the most lagy interface I have ever experienced in an mmo....it took up to 2 seconds for my menu's to pop up...unacceptable. Has this been fixed?

#3. Overtly complex "unique" class system...I honestly just didn't like the fact you leveled with an Axe you were this...you crafted you were this...no. I really like mmos with a clearly defined class system. The biggest reason I loved FFXI for so many years was because I had a ton of clearly defined classes to choose from at any given time. Something about the FFXIV class system just didn't appeal to me much.

#4. Guildleaves..... I mean really? this is the biggest glorification of the Kill X number of Y mob quest I have ever seen. I don't mind grinding, not at all. **** I would love a game like FFXI's past where you found a group of like-minded players and found a spot to sit and grind while you talk about sports, politics, life, and make new friends. It may not be very casual friendly but it sure as **** was fun back in the day.

The issue with guildleaves for me came from the fact that they really pushed this as a "casual feature" when the game was in its beta stages. Something that "everyone" can do together with friends. Forgive my ignorance but I expected more than just group grind quests....Maybe I didn't level high enough to get to the good content ?

#5. No mounts...need I say more?

#6. No Auction house...again really?


That is basically the list of the things that really bothered me about FFXIV. I didn't mind the slow combat at all, I actually liked it coming from FFXI. My biggest issues were the high system requirements and the class system to be perfectly honest. Both of those were the thorn in my side.


I would appreciate any updates on these things, if they have been addressed to some extent or of the problems still persist.

Hope to get some great replies from the community,


Thanks. ^_^



Edited, Mar 14th 2012 12:17pm by Alazardragoonz
#2 Mar 14 2012 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
447 posts
1) Your video card upgrade, depending upon what it is, may help. Try first playing on the lowest possible settings. Without posting details on your rig, no one is going to be able to tell whether or not it's going to run.

2) UI lag is mostly gone.

3) The Armoury System (and new Job system out with 1.21) are wholly inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics... many roles you can fill and everyone can do everything. If you find that complex, you're going to continue to be disappointed.

4) Guildleves are now no longer the primary focus of the game. Yoshida rescinded Tanaka's statement about a year ago.

5) There are mounts now.

6) There is not a traditional Auction House with bids and buyouts but market wards have been greatly improved in searchability as well as price history and streamlined buying ability.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#3 Mar 14 2012 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Everything is still pretty much the same as it was a year ago. Lag is better but not gone; class system (in my opinion) makes no sense, and is just strange aside the so-called "job system;" guildleves are as bad as ever, but they have added some WoW-style quests with boring walls of text and "kill X" goals around town; the market system is convoluted and still inferior to an auction house; oh, but we have chocobos now.

If you didn't like the game last year or the year before that, then you'll only, at beast, find it barely decent now. Most of the changes have been placed on top of the problems rather than replacing them altogether, which is why we're stuck with a "job system" that's nothing more than setting 5 abilities (some of which were actually taken away from classes, lol), and why our "market system" is only a slightly more efficient version of AFK bazaars in FFXI. Crafting and gathering remains a skeleton of what it should have been, with nearly no significant improvements having been made to them since beta, and the general amount of lag (such as seeing a monster's HP drop to zero long before you even start to power up the weapon skill that killed it!), though not as bad as before, still permeates the game.

"Wait for 2.0" has become my mantra. Although I am tempted to resubscribe occasionally, I know that I would just walk away embittered, as I have before. And if I do that too many times, well, then I'd probably never come back, even if the game made some seriously laudable improvements. Still, all of this is just one opinion, so make of it what you will.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#4 Mar 14 2012 at 11:12 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
Quote:
1. Game required a very solid PC at the time of release. Is this still the case? Did they lower system requirements, or optimize the game differently?


System requirements will be lowered at 2.0 when they introduce a new graphics engine. They want lower PCs to be able to play the game as well, but just render less characters simultaneously.
Quote:

#2. the most lagy interface I have ever experienced in an mmo....it took up to 2 seconds for my menu's to pop up...unacceptable. Has this been fixed?


When you buy/sell items to an NPC and buy items/weapons from the item search on a market ward, there is still quite a bit of lag. Other than that, most of the lag is gone.

Quote:
#3. Overtly complex "unique" class system...I honestly just didn't like the fact you leveled with an Axe you were this...you crafted you were this...no. I really like mmos with a clearly defined class system. The biggest reason I loved FFXI for so many years was because I had a ton of clearly defined classes to choose from at any given time. Something about the FFXIV class system just didn't appeal to me much.


While there is a job system that has unique roles, jobs are still only a "stance" of the current classes. If this #3 is a deal-breaker, this game is probably not for you.

Quote:
#4. Guildleaves..... I mean really? this is the biggest glorification of the Kill X number of Y mob quest I have ever seen. I don't mind grinding, not at all. **** I would love a game like FFXI's past where you found a group of like-minded players and found a spot to sit and grind while you talk about sports, politics, life, and make new friends. It may not be very casual friendly but it sure as **** was fun back in the day.


I've personally thought old-fashioned grinding was very boring, but there are EXP parties going around via shout. I personally prefer guildleves just based off the fact that you actually get to move around.
Quote:

The issue with guildleaves for me came from the fact that they really pushed this as a "casual feature" when the game was in its beta stages. Something that "everyone" can do together with friends. Forgive my ignorance but I expected more than just group grind quests....Maybe I didn't level high enough to get to the good content ?


They made guildleves a solo thing now. It's more of a thing if you don't have a lot of time and want to still get some experience points and gil. There are benefits to doing it, such as getting faction leves which have also been changed to get a LOT of exp/gil. (I'm talking upwards of 10000 EXP a pop.)

Quote:
#5. No mounts...need I say more?


There's chocobo and a goobue mount. More mounts coming in future.

Quote:
#6. No Auction house...again really?


Still no auction house, but the market wards now have an item/retainer search and a menu you simply just buy things from. I find it to be better than FFXI's AH because you see all the prices of the item on the menu and you simply pick the one you want simply than just inputting a price and buying it. There is also that UI lag when buying items I talked about.

----


Overall, I don't think you would like the game, especially if the class system is a deal-breaker, because they seem to be sticking to the idea when you equip a weapon you change classes.


Edited, Mar 14th 2012 10:13am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#5 Mar 14 2012 at 11:47 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
51 posts
Is 2.0 date announced yet?

The fee is $10 currently correct?

At that price I wouldn't loose all that much trying it for a month...


Will there be a ps3 version?

Edited, Mar 14th 2012 1:58pm by Alazardragoonz
#6 Mar 14 2012 at 12:01 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
I think 2.o is scheduled at years end or beginning of next year? Can't remember >_<; I know the road map is floating around somewhere on the boards ><; Just can't remember which thread >_<;

Even with your concerns that you have listed, if it has been that much of a while since you have last played, I would give it a shot again to see if it's for you, if not, cancel your sub and restart at 2.o for a final decision. This game had a horrible start, without a doubt, but there are things that have changed since you last played. I think it is worth another go at this point to see if you can tolerate or want to hold out until later.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#7 Mar 14 2012 at 1:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
They added some things and polished some aspects but it's still the same basic game underneath, if you hated it then you will hate it now. If you kinda liked it but found some aspects annoying then you might enjoy it now. Most people seem to be waiting another year till they relaunch the game to make a final decision on it then.
____________________________
BANNED
#8 Mar 14 2012 at 1:41 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
51 posts
preludes wrote:
They added some things and polished some aspects but it's still the same basic game underneath, if you hated it then you will hate it now. If you kinda liked it but found some aspects annoying then you might enjoy it now. Most people seem to be waiting another year till they relaunch the game to make a final decision on it then.


I would not go as far as saying I "Hated it" then...

Lets say, I didn't enjoy my time in the game because of all the confusion, lack of direction, lack of community, interface, pc system requirements, and overall just having no one to play with.

So I dont know how I would take the game now.
#9 Mar 14 2012 at 1:47 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Alazardragoonz wrote:

Lets say, I didn't enjoy my time in the game because of all the confusion, lack of direction, lack of community, interface, pc system requirements, and overall just having no one to play with.


Well, my advice is wait until Version 2.0 then. All the things you didn't like before haven't really been improved now to the point where it's worth paying to play. I'd say don't poison yourself against 2.0.
#10 Mar 14 2012 at 2:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
51 posts
Torrence wrote:
Alazardragoonz wrote:

Lets say, I didn't enjoy my time in the game because of all the confusion, lack of direction, lack of community, interface, pc system requirements, and overall just having no one to play with.


Well, my advice is wait until Version 2.0 then. All the things you didn't like before haven't really been improved now to the point where it's worth paying to play. I'd say don't poison yourself against 2.0.



Alright, Ill take your advice.

Thanks.
#11 Mar 14 2012 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
7,821 posts
I recommend this game now. Still not amazing, but good and playable. If you got for free, you get a month free...whats the damage being done if you try it out?
____________________________


#12 Mar 14 2012 at 9:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
51 posts
One final question,


Can the game be played in multiple resolutions now or does it still only let you choose between two?
#13 Mar 14 2012 at 10:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Guildleves are now no longer the primary focus of the game. Yoshida rescinded Tanaka's statement about a year ago.


If you don't have anyone to play with Guild Leves are still the major form of leveling... but they're not the focal point of the game. With rested experience points and the ability to store up to 99 leve allowances (it used to be eight), it's much easier to level now than it used to be.

Also, the new job quests are accessible starting at lvl 30, with a new quest opening every 5 levels. This provides a nice sense of progression for each class that you choose to level.

If money isn't a huge issue for you, then I'd recommend the game now. The game obviously still has flaws, but several features (including the UI) are going to be revamped for Version 2.0. There's enough to do now to keep a person busy, and there are two more big updates coming before 2.0.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#14 Mar 14 2012 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
51 posts
Is there any advantage in playing in a low pop server vs a high pop server or will the merger happen and make it a non issue?
#15 Mar 14 2012 at 11:56 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
283 posts
Oh look another "i'm too lazy to read up on information to figure out information that is readily available if you read the 100 other threads on here or the official forums" thread

I think it's fairly safe to assume they are merging the servers to balance them....

Oh. And the only way you would know if you would enjoy the game is if you tried it now.


I think we need a sticky of updates... Oh wait. We do.

Maybe a search forum function... Wait. Got that.

Maybe we need a better form of population control. (other than my obvious choice)

Edited, Mar 15th 2012 2:06am by deronguerra
____________________________


#16 Mar 15 2012 at 1:57 AM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Alazardragoonz wrote:
Is there any advantage in playing in a low pop server vs a high pop server or will the merger happen and make it a non issue?


They are merging the servers so that the populations are more balanced and active. You won't need to do anything special since this will happen automatically.

However, you can choose the server you want to merge to (provided they have space). Also, if you're from Europe, it's recommended (though not required) that you voluntarily move to Ragnarok, since European populations are small and they want you to have the best chance of finding other players in that part of the world.
#17 Mar 15 2012 at 5:42 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
deronguerra wrote:
Oh look another "i'm too lazy to read up on information to figure out information that is readily available if you read the 100 other threads on here or the official forums" thread

I think it's fairly safe to assume they are merging the servers to balance them....

Oh. And the only way you would know if you would enjoy the game is if you tried it now.


I think we need a sticky of updates... Oh wait. We do.

Maybe a search forum function... Wait. Got that.

Maybe we need a better form of population control. (other than my obvious choice)

Edited, Mar 15th 2012 2:06am by deronguerra


>_>; don't make me break out my b17<h slapping hand on you >_>. Be nice. Yeesh! Pop control? Really? >_<; Wow.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#18 Mar 15 2012 at 12:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
184 posts
I resubbed 5 days ago and my first day in (on melmond) was invited to a linkshell. There's normally only 4 or 5 people on but overall between the ls and shouts in ulduar I've not had any trouble finding people to xp with, not too mention there's plenty of solo things to do as well, ( I like crafting) The rested xp you can store up now is quite helpful too, I was able to take 3 crafts to level 3 with only one leve each. It runs better now that it did before and I haven't experienced any frame rate problems anywhere, even in town, I'm running an HD6870 which isn't exactly a high end video card. I've found the market wards to be vastly better than they were before, it's still a glorified bazaar but it's a bazaar I can search, and I can see what people are asking for an item as opposed to guessing and hoping I'm not overpaying. Worst case is you waste $10, don't know about you but I spend more than that on lunch every day.
____________________________
Vanidin Pickles on Excalibur
#19 Mar 15 2012 at 12:35 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
Oh look another "i'm too lazy to read up on information to figure out information that is readily available if you read the 100 other threads on here or the official forums" thread


These kinds of threads are usually people that are going to give it a try again no matter what people say, but replying is more for other people reading than the ones that make them. They almost always try it themselves anyway lol
____________________________
BANNED
#20 Mar 15 2012 at 1:37 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
It's a game, before it was a chore... it's still FAR from perfect. I do think that if you played casually there is enough content to tide you over until 2.0. The question remaining is "will 2.0 be worth it", but then again we're all waiting for that answer.

I solo almost everything, not by choice but because of time. I enjoy myself. I maybe get 10 hours MAX per week in game. I'd love a set of 5 hour+ sessions so I could complete my Job and certain other event quests, but I don't have that time at the moment. I'm still enjoying myself and feeling that my money isn't wasted, which for me is all that matters. Your mileage may differ.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#21 Mar 15 2012 at 2:36 PM Rating: Default
You seem super excited to play FFXIV and like it, so just play it.
____________________________
Can you see what it is yet?
#22 Mar 15 2012 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
I disagree with people who say the class system is the same as it used to be. It sounds like the OP hasn't played since not too long after release. The system is much different now than it was then.

The biggest difference is the ability revamp that happened in patch 1.20. This gave existing classes more defined roles than they previously had. Every class now equips its class-specific abilities automatically, with the ability to equip a number of cross-class abilities in addition to that. Classes are no longer just about the weapon you're using: the abilities you have access to on your class are very important to the way you play. There is also a combo system where certain class abilities can be performed in succession. While you don't have access to combos at level 1, by level 50 I was having a lot of fun with them as a lancer.

Another major change is that you no longer get random amounts of skill points for performing actions. First, the system was changed so that you reliably got skill points (now called experience points) at the end of battle based on factors such as the strength of enemy you defeated and the number of people in your party. Physical levels were then taken out of the game: stats are now class-specific, and leveling up is all about your class.

As you know, the job system has just been implemented. In general, switching to a job makes you better/stronger at performing a given role in battle. It makes you more specialized, but in becoming more specialized you are limited in the number and types of abilities you can equip from other classes. This means that when playing solo, it will often be better to use your basic class, since you will be able to deal damage, heal, etc. all on your own. In a group, however, it's generally better to have everyone switch to jobs. Everyone excels at a given role; working together, you end up with a balanced and powerful attack.

Oh yeah: auto-attack exists now.

Those are some of the major changes to the class (and battle) system. While they certainly don't guarantee that you'd like the game if you tried it now, I think it's safe to say that classes are quite a bit different than they were at release.

Don't take this as a wholesale recommendation of FFXIV. The game desperately needs the new server system and game client coming in version 2.0 in order to make battle more responsive. It also badly needs the new game world and new UI 2.0 is scheduled to bring.
#23 Mar 15 2012 at 7:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Alazardragoonz wrote:
One final question,


Can the game be played in multiple resolutions now or does it still only let you choose between two?


I don't know when did you last play it (Alpha?) But ever since Beta there are enough resolution choice as any standard game >_>
____________________________




This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)