Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

So is anyone getting a GTX 680 soon?Follow

#1 Mar 22 2012 at 7:24 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
Just curious if there would be any improvement in the video quality with something like that. I don't think anyone should specifically get one just for FFXIV (unless they are so inclined) but if someone has other high end games that could benefit from it that also plays XIV, it would be nice to hear what they think.
#2 Mar 22 2012 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
I have an overclocked 580 so probably not. Looks like performance increase ranges from 20-30%. Good but not stunning. FFXIV already runs fine for me. If I was thinking about a resolution greater than 1920x1200 I might consider it but I'm not going multimonitor any time soon.

Nice card tho. Looks like there's a lot of room for future improvement in the 600 series. Hopefully will drive 580 prices down so I can eventually SLI :D
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#3 Mar 24 2012 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
There isn't anything out that my pair of GTX 480s don't tear through already. Not really a point to upgrading, but if I was still using a 8xxx or 9xxx... maybe even 2xx I would probably consider it.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#4 Mar 25 2012 at 5:02 AM Rating: Good
39 posts
money sure is nice ;D

because there is no way I can even begin to consider this on my budget! but if anyone gets one of those beasts, do share impressions. I was reading up on it on Friday and it did sound drool-worthy. I'd be curious to know how much it improves performance in FFXIV.
#5 Mar 25 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
9 posts
The starting price of it takes up about half the price of my whole computer so...no. I'll be sticking with my 560 Ti for a while; it seems to do everything I need it to do and some. The 680 does look reaaaaally nice, though.
#6 Mar 25 2012 at 9:13 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Definitely not worth the investment as XIV stands right now. Perhaps after 2.0 goes live with the new interface and graphics engine, but I wouldn't sink the money into it and that's coming from someone with a rig that set me back about 2 large. Not something you would want if XIV is all you play. Purely from a price vs performance standpoint, there are more than a handful of suggestions I'd make over the 680.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#7 Mar 26 2012 at 12:15 AM Rating: Excellent
I like to wait for a while before upgrading. Price drops and driver support/updates/tweaks/whatever are more developed.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#8 Mar 26 2012 at 4:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
588 posts
Why go with the gtx 680 over the 7970?
____________________________



#9 Mar 26 2012 at 5:53 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
kainsilv wrote:
Why go with the gtx 680 over the 7970?

As I understand it so take it with a grain of salt, the 680 is slightly cheaper, performs slightly better, is quieter, gives off less heat and uses less juice. I have a GTX 480 and that thing is a monster as far as noise and heat go.

I have concerns that Nvidia is planning on releasing the GK110 in late summer and I wonder if it will be vastly superior to the GK104 (GTX 680).
#10 Mar 26 2012 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
being quiet and producing less heat are honestly better reasons to buy a newer series card than just performance IMO. I run a GTX470 and while the card can handle this game just fine at high settings at the 60fps setting I am forced to run the game at the 30fps setting out of fear of seeing my temps hit 100c. In fact heat alone is the reason I dont play regularly because even at 30 fps it can get up to 85c doing nothing.
____________________________

Does hating a game I wanted to love make me a troll?
or does trying to love a game I hate make me a white knight?
#11 Mar 26 2012 at 2:39 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
theSubligaravenger wrote:
being quiet and producing less heat are honestly better reasons to buy a newer series card than just performance IMO. I run a GTX470 and while the card can handle this game just fine at high settings at the 60fps setting I am forced to run the game at the 30fps setting out of fear of seeing my temps hit 100c. In fact heat alone is the reason I dont play regularly because even at 30 fps it can get up to 85c doing nothing.


I'm running SLI 470s and while they do get a bit loud, replacing the thermal paste with a better quality product drops the temps (thus the noise) by quite a bit. I'd upgrade but I'm going to wait until the next gen. If I was running a single card I think I'd jump on the 680 instantly.

FWIW I re-did the thermal compound with MX-2, my cards are far from ideally stacked as both my high speed ports put the cards on to of each other.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#12 Mar 29 2012 at 6:34 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
theSubligaravenger wrote:
being quiet and producing less heat are honestly better reasons to buy a newer series card than just performance IMO. I run a GTX470 and while the card can handle this game just fine at high settings at the 60fps setting I am forced to run the game at the 30fps setting out of fear of seeing my temps hit 100c. In fact heat alone is the reason I dont play regularly because even at 30 fps it can get up to 85c doing nothing.


I'm running SLI 470s and while they do get a bit loud, replacing the thermal paste with a better quality product drops the temps (thus the noise) by quite a bit. I'd upgrade but I'm going to wait until the next gen. If I was running a single card I think I'd jump on the 680 instantly.

FWIW I re-did the thermal compound with MX-2, my cards are far from ideally stacked as both my high speed ports put the cards on to of each other.

Did you have any difficulty getting the heat-sink and paste off? I've seen sites online that talk about doing it but I have never given it a try.
#13 Mar 29 2012 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
MrTalos wrote:
Did you have any difficulty getting the heat-sink and paste off? I've seen sites online that talk about doing it but I have never given it a try.


Never met a factory paste that some isoprobyl alchohol and light elbow grease couldn't eradicate. Use a toothpick and or cotton swap combo to clean the runners on the heat sink itself.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#14 Mar 29 2012 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
MrTalos wrote:
Did you have any difficulty getting the heat-sink and paste off? I've seen sites online that talk about doing it but I have never given it a try.


Never met a factory paste that some isoprobyl alchohol and light elbow grease couldn't eradicate. Use a toothpick and or cotton swap combo to clean the runners on the heat sink itself.

Thanks!

I'll give that a try. I also have the trouble of it getting so hot that I fear it will melt wires and I've just one 480.
#15 Mar 29 2012 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,148 posts
paste is usually not going to give you more than 3c - 5c
a side panel fan might help more if it blows over the card
a aftermarket cooler would probably bring the biggest gains (like the accelero extreme), trouble is the really good ones are a bit more expensive than they need to be.
____________________________
Mishana: DRG | THF | RDM | NIN
#16 Mar 30 2012 at 2:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
74 posts
Looks nice but pretty useless for FFXIV imho.
The FPS drops in heavily crowded areas are due the Crystal engine which was not really meant for a MMORPG and even the best card on the planet will solve that completely. Besides that the Crystal engine doesn't scale very well with SLI/Xfire setups either.
I really wouldn't spend a lot of money on high end components when it comes to FFXIV... might change with the release of the new engine though.
____________________________
You're never gonna feel You're never gonna heal
You're never gonna know what's fake or real
'Til you know who you are
You're lying to your face And running in a race
You're never gonna win 'til you find your place
And you know who you are
#17 Mar 30 2012 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
Levish wrote:
paste is usually not going to give you more than 3c - 5c
a side panel fan might help more if it blows over the card
a aftermarket cooler would probably bring the biggest gains (like the accelero extreme), trouble is the really good ones are a bit more expensive than they need to be.


I can't find my hard numbers as I had an HDD go south, but I'm pretty sure I got 10C on my bottom card and 7C on my top one when in the most demanding areas of XIV (ie low res bushes!) and a slightly lower fanspeed and less noise because of it. I forget what paste I used first (I think it was AS5) but it only netted like 5C difference, MX2 did the trick. I'm running in a HAFX so my case has plenty of GPU cooling the 470s just didn't like the shrubbery in XIV. We'll see how well those results hold when I move to the muggy coast of North Carolina, the UK doesn't really get that warm the majority of the year. Also in my instance I couldn't use the aftermarket coolers, I could have one one card but not both and the card I couldn't do would be my top one which was the one requiring attention. One of these days I'll get smart and just go with water, but the upfront costs keep me upgrading my PC and playing with air instead.

Jouhki wrote:
Besides that the Crystal engine doesn't scale very well with SLI/Xfire setups either

Um 55ish %scaling increase here on near max settings for SLI that's roughly the same is what I get in Stalker CoP. There are titles that scale better, but there are more that scale much worse.

Edited, Mar 30th 2012 3:20pm by Perrin
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)