I'm someone who rarely complains about things I have no control over. I would say I'm pretty understanding even under somewhat ridiculous circumstances. Square Enix is unprofessional to the point where it's just absurd though so I feel the need to speak out of principle.
To explain everything I've been dragged through in detail would take much to long to type so let me just explain it all as best as I can in short points.
A few days ago:
1. After a few months off from FFXIV and moving to a new house, I realized my security token was lost.
2. I contacted SE via chat support in hopes to unlink the token from my account so I could log in and re-activate.
3. The representative told me that today they are doing maintenance so I would have to contact them at a later time to unlink it.
4. I asked him what info I would need to provide them next time, and asked if I could put all of it in an email to SE so they could resolve it while I sleep. I explained to him that I live in Japan so my time zone is a lot different and that just to talk to chat support once I had to stay up until odd hours of the night.
5. He told me that would be fine and told me all of the information to share with SE in the email.
6. I provided all of the information and I woke up the next morning for another representative to say that I need to contact chat support, that it can't be resolved via email. I guess the other representative told me bogus information.
7. I stay up the next night to contact chat again and when I get to the representative he resolves my issue. He first told me though that I should log in to unlink my token! Uh, obviously I can't that's the whole point(I didn't say this, was just thinking) He then asked me, do you have any more questions? I replied with one and instead of answering he replies with: "Thank you for contacting SE, have a nice day" and then signs off. Are these people robots?
Yesterday and today:
1. I log into my account excited to log in and see all the changes made to the game and say hi to old friends.
2. I see I have 700 Crysta in my account so I thought I'd take the cheapest route and buy 500 more to try it out for a month.
3. I first try Click and Buy but I am told that I can't use it from Japan. Later I get some strange email saying Click and Buy blocked my Click and Buy Account.
4. I then try UltimatePay and for some reason it repeatedly denies my card.
5. I call my bank to make sure there is no hold on my account and that my account has plenty of funds in it, everything checks out OK.
6. I try UltimatePay again and it doesn't work. So I thought, I will try PayPal, because I had used Paypal to buy Crysta one time previously with my debit card which is linked to it when I didn't have funds in my PayPal account.
7. Paypal doesn't go through either. I try Paypal again and again throughout the day.
8. I think to myself, maybe they changed the system and I can't use a debit from overseas anymore. So I had a friend Paypal me funds for my account.
9. Now that the funds are in the account I get an email from Paypal telling me that they blocked my Paypal account for security since so many transactions were denied by UltimatePay. Now I can't pay for my subscription nor can I pay back my friend.
10. I log into Paypal and they want me to send them a photocopy of my ID, I do that, but I don't want to wait so I click verify by phone.
11. I get the phone call from Paypal but for some reason it doesn't work right and now Paypal is sending me a letter to my house which I then have to take the security code off of once it arrives to re-activate my account.
12. I then notice FFXIV started taking direct payments so I tried that, also denied again and again.
13. I knew my card works on every other website I have ever been too, even though I am in Japan and using my US debit card, so I had no idea what the **** is going on.
14. I then resorted to the last option and I bought a UltimatePay code from a 3rd party website with my debit card, which worked find of course! I got the code, put it in UltimatePay and finally I had my Crysta, but I had to spend 5$ more than I wanted to since they only sell 10$ cards and I was unable to buy any Crysta directly.
15. Now mentally exhausted I find solace in the fact I can log in and play my game. Wait, the Crysta is not in my account yet.
16. The Crysta takes a whopping 5 hours to show up in my account and I got no email confirming my transaction even processed before I received that Crysta so I was worried about it up until that point.
17. At least I'm all set to log in I think to myself, excitedly. I log in and then find out I can't log on. I thought maybe I'll try a few more times, as the FFXIV servers have always been extremely bad.
18. I log in and log in and log in, but every time it gives me that error. Frustratedly I look online.
19. I get re-directed in a thread in the Lodestone stating that when they did the server transfer they decided to do it half assed and not transfer ALL the characters, only those who were subscribed at a certain date. At this point I was completely bummed, ****** off, let down and felt totally used.
20. Why the ****, would they not bother to update their customers via account management? They could put a message, before buying, that states it will take a few days, possibly weeks to transfer my character back onto a server. Who reads the Lodestone before re-activating their character? Should I have to do that? I thought I would get any warnings if anything were bad before I paid. So I finally got them to take my money, and then I find out that they took my money without giving me any sort of warning that I can't use their product. I'm sure a large percentage of customers don't find it necessary to check the Lodestone for SE's mistakes before paying to re-activate their characters.
21. Wasn't this server merger used to populate the community more? Aren't these updates and the upcoming 2.0 for the same thing? If so, why would they do something like this which would obviously **** off the very customer base they need, re-subscribers. If they at least warned me at the account page, it would have been so much easier to take. Or if their payment methods actually worked correctly like everywhere else I use my card at.
22. I would contact chat support but if I don't ask them a simple question that a caveman could answer like "I lost my password how do I make a new one" then they will simply state I can't help you and then when I reply they will say thanks for contacting SE! Bye! Literally.
I swear, SE is flat out ridiculous. I love FFXI and am also have hope in FFXIV, but really how stupid can they possibly be? Who the **** is running SE? Why do they make everything such a **** headache?
I thought I might add that the entire reason I paid to re-activate this account is to try it out for five days or so as I am moving again soon and won't have time to play again for a few months after this week. That and I wanted one of those new mounts that will disappear when 2.0 hits. So now by the time my character actually gets added to a server, I won't even be around to play it.
I swear, I have never felt so pawned around by a company in my life.
Please forgive my somewhat in-coherent grammatically incorrect rant but it really feels good just to let it all out. I'm sure some of you can relate. They better give some sort of reimbursement to re-subscribers during this time. Also, do they have that many people re-activating? Why does it take 4-5 days to re-activate my character on a server AFTER I paid, do they have that many re-activations? I doubt it. This whole thing just reeks of laziness and incompetence. Will I still play the game though? **** yea, because I'm a die hard fan of online Final Fantasy. I'm their battered wife that just keeps up the faith no matter how many times they beat me in the face.
Edited, Apr 3rd 2012 10:52am by Calikitz