Since there are always countless threads asking whether the game is worth trying again, I thought I'd throw out my impressions after 3 weeks back since leaving shortly after launch. Also, I have 15 minutes to kill at work with nothing else to do, so here it goes (apologies in advance for making a somewhat unnecessary and long thread):
- Leveling is terribly easy, and I'm not sure why anyone would complain about it or need/want power leveling. My wife and I leveled as a team (Gladiator / Conjurer) from 1-50 in two weeks, doing only our 8 leves (each) per day and grinding 1-2 levels on cactuars in the 20's. We also did 1-15 (Conjurer / Gladiator this time) to unlock WHM and PLD, respectively, and were able to duo all but the final job-specific quests, although I wouldn't recommend that without a tank/healer combo. In our 3rd week, we switched to Pugilist / Thaumaturge, and we've managed to get to level 30 on Saturday within that time period.
- I'd recommend trying to play with a buddy, because everything I just said would not work without one. Having a partner gives you twice the anima, twice the leves, someone to pool gil with if you need gear, etc. It just makes everything easier. If I were forced to solo 1-50, I would probably still be working on getting to 50 with my first job. The difference in playing solo and just having a single party member changes the game imo. I don't know that I'd be having all that much fun playing solo.
- The markets suck, but they're 1000x better than the way they used to work, and once you spend some time with them, they're tolerable. Also, leves and quests have made us enough gil to get through leveling without the need to farm. Be selective with your upgrades and you can stretch your gil to get to the level cap.
- The quests themselves flow much better. The main, class, and job quests are worth your time (decent gil and xp bonuses). I didn't find the sidequests particularly useful, but many of them come with gear rewards which are nice.
- Finding gear upgrades can be a pain, moreso with DoM than DoW classes it seems. Splurge on the Accuracy+ gear and keeping weapons up to date. You can scrape by on everything else.
- Start in Uldah. This has been talked about a lot, but it cannot be overstated. Do leves in Gridania for an hour and you'll quickly understand why Uldah became the de facto capital.
- Without Mooglebox.com and Eorzeapedia, there is a distinct lack of information available online. Even those resources aren't perfect, but they're the best available that I've found (outside the patch notes). Also, Mooglebox's mob maps are not completely up to date, but they're decent. If you need an idea of where to camp/grind, I'd check those out first.
- I wouldn't recommend starting as Gladiator/Paladin. Aside from being an inferior tank to Marauder/Warrior, tanks tend to be the default party leaders, and if you don't know anything about where you're going or what you're doing, it's better to let someone else point the way.
- Everyone in the community has been extremely friendly. I can't count how many times I've received a random Stoneskin or Protect from passersby. No hostility or arguing in chat (although the lack of a world chat prevents a great deal of communication), overall positive attitudes from those I've encountered, and a decent population (on Hyperion at least) make for a pretty fun community. Then again, 5 years of WoW will make any community look good.
- If you come into the game wanting to like it, you're going to find plenty of things to love. If you come into it skeptical, the flaws will be greatly magnified.
- Get your free goobue mount at 30. It's really ugly, it takes up too much of your screen, and it gets hung on every rock and fence you come across, but it's faster than walking and it's free.
So yea, I've had a pretty good time coming back, enough that I'll stick around long enough to get a second combat job to 50 and then give gathering/crafting another shot. I'll definitely be here for 2.0, but once I've got my AF gear, I don't know that there will be enough content to keep me playing full time til then.
Edited, Apr 23rd 2012 10:51am by StasisKorial
Edited, Apr 23rd 2012 11:07am by StasisKorial
Edited, Apr 23rd 2012 11:08am by StasisKorial
Edited, Apr 23rd 2012 2:42pm by StasisKorial