1. Does the combat feel reminiscent (I know it's different, that's not what I'm asking) of FFXI's style?
2. I know there is a lot more content than when it launched but is there a relatively good amount of engaging content for the early levels?
3. Also, I know the introduction of classic jobs had everyone excited; how difficult is it to get started with one?
4. I've read the requirements for unlocking one, but what I mean is, if you started out at level 1 today, how long/how hard would it be to achieve one of these jobs?
5. Finally, is it worth it to start out as anything other than a DoW/DoM?
6. Is there any reason not to start as a DoW if it's what I want to ultimately focus on?
7. Oh, and has anyone ever figured out if there is any significance to the name day and moon and all that stuff?
1. No, it is not comparable and I personally feel combat is still lacking in the strategy department.
2. If you give leves, behest, side quests, main scenario quests, exp parties, escort quests, grand company quests, etc... A try you won't be bored.
3. It won't take too long although you'll need help running some of the quests if you don't have a level 50 class.
4. Depends on how you play. For me it would take a week of solid playtime. I get distracted easily.
5. Based on what you said my answer is, no. There would be no benefit starting on anything but DoW/DoM.
7. I believe there are slight bonuses but I'm not sure I can find a reference.
As for buddies I would offer to help but I think character creation on Aegis is still locked.