Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

New, hoping to get into FF XIV, but unsure.Follow

#1 May 21 2012 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
Hey, the title is pretty self explanatory, I, at one point, loved FF XI, it was my first mmo however I couldn't deny that the game was extremely clunky for an mmo, and since my character was deleted after I took a break I gave up on it completely.

However, poking around on the internet I remembered that I had 1,200 Crysta still saved up from when I thought I could use it for XI, and I figured "Hey, why not blow it on XIV! My computer can run it!"

I'm not trying to decide if the game is worth it, what I'm trying to figure out is, is there a way I can play XIV without having to buy the actual box?

I have enough to pay for 30 days, but I really don't have 20.00 to throw out atm, and I'm really dying to give this game a chance.

I feel bad for asking, but is there somebody who can give me a buddy pass or something? Or maybe tell me how I can just subscribe with my Crysta instead of having to pay for the game itself?




Sorry for the "please help the newb" post, I'm just really wanting to get into a game that's similar to XI without being as clunky or dated and I'm extremely excited about XIV. Any help at all would be extremely appreciated, as would random information about the game or hellos. =)
#2 May 21 2012 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
If you thought XI was clunky...
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#3 May 21 2012 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
...That's not really uplifting news O-o

I thought they patched this game like crazy and fixed everything. (Almost)
#4 May 21 2012 at 1:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Elodin wrote:
...That's not really uplifting news O-o

I thought they patched this game like crazy and fixed everything. (Almost)


That won't (allegedly) happen until the debut of the 2.0 client.
____________________________
#5 May 21 2012 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
They fixed a lot of broken stuff, but some was so badly broken, they just did patch work to hold us until 2.0. The UI while better, is still far from being great, ls management remains non-existant, and that's just the tip of what was wrong with the fundamentals in this game. Leveling 1-50 is fine if you enjoy solo or have friends to power level you, the game is so top heavy, there's no low level parties. They've improved a ton, but a ton on a heaping pile of crap, so much of that crap still remains. They say 2.0 will address a lot, so I'd just wait it out if 20$ is a bit too much for you right now. No needto spend money and think...this sucks.
____________________________

#6 May 21 2012 at 1:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,825 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
there's no low level parties.


Why do people keep saying this... it's not true, at least on my server. Yes 20ish PTs are scarce, but 25+ I see at least 4 groups forming daily during my brief 1-4 hour excursions, 35-45 I see even more, and 45+ can jump in on a spiritbonding party which are almost constantly forming. Believe it or not there are new people joining this game (or in my servers' case, coming back because it's locked and new people can't join currently >.<)
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#7 May 21 2012 at 1:30 PM Rating: Good
When I say low level, I mean the 15-25 range. Sure 1-20 may be quicker solo, but it sure as **** ain't fun. In my 10 days back, I saw 0 shouts for anything below 35, and found a whole 2 people seeking 20-29.
____________________________

#8 May 21 2012 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
When I say low level, I mean the 15-25 range. Sure 1-20 may be quicker solo, but it sure as **** ain't fun. In my 10 days back, I saw 0 shouts for anything below 35, and found a whole 2 people seeking 20-29.


This was my experience in Welcome Back as well. Only AF/Garuda shouts, with ONE 30-35 party.
____________________________
#9 May 21 2012 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
When I say low level, I mean the 15-25 range. Sure 1-20 may be quicker solo, but it sure as **** ain't fun. In my 10 days back, I saw 0 shouts for anything below 35, and found a whole 2 people seeking 20-29.


This was my experience in Welcome Back as well. Only AF/Garuda shouts, with ONE 30-35 party.


And that was part of the problem with the welcome back, alot of returnees had high level jobs or near enough and it also coincided with a new primal release... so those who actually just wanted to level and unlock normal quests with friends were left in the cold unless they had enough friends. Hopefully the 30 day welcombe back coinciding with 2.0 will go a lot better.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#10 May 21 2012 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
Anyone else find the storyline missions (at least until level 30 or so since that's as far as I got) to be a complete disappointment? They're 99% just walking around talking to NPCs and enduring cutscene after cutscene. Any combat is something that's completely trivial, and don't get me started on Parley... the story isn't even interesting in the slightest.
#11 May 22 2012 at 1:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,691 posts
Quote:
I have enough to pay for 30 days, but I really don't have 20.00 to throw out atm, and I'm really dying to give this game a chance.

I feel bad for asking, but is there somebody who can give me a buddy pass or something? Or maybe tell me how I can just subscribe with my Crysta instead of having to pay for the game itself?


If money is a problem do not buy this game, the vast majority of people that try it hate it, hence why it has such a minuscule number of players. If you can get a free trial then go for it, there are more people that bought this and never play it than do.
#12 May 22 2012 at 3:46 AM Rating: Good
****
4,148 posts
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
And that was part of the problem with the welcome back, alot of returnees had high level jobs or near enough and it also coincided with a new primal release... so those who actually just wanted to level and unlock normal quests with friends were left in the cold unless they had enough friends. Hopefully the 30 day welcombe back coinciding with 2.0 will go a lot better.


I anticipated this would happen as soon as it was announced. Lots of new content for people who have been playing all along, but nothing for those who left. The worst thing is, those people who left are the people they need the most. Instead of working on the part of the game that will bring back the majority of players, SE has decided to work on high level content to keep those still playing happy.

I didn't bother with the campaign since I'm in the boat with all the other low level players, but I'm hoping they are at least splitting duty behind the scenes. If they don't have as much focus pushing out new content as they do developing all content for 2.0 then I think SE will have trouble getting people to feel welcomed...
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#13 May 22 2012 at 6:13 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
Dizmo wrote:
Anyone else find the storyline missions (at least until level 30 or so since that's as far as I got) to be a complete disappointment? They're 99% just walking around talking to NPCs and enduring cutscene after cutscene. Any combat is something that's completely trivial, and don't get me started on Parley... the story isn't even interesting in the slightest.


Please don't assume the entire story of the game is just like these "storyline" quests. These were originally the ONLY story type quests in the game when it was released. These are relics left over from the original dev team. At best, these quests, as a storyline, are a bitter disappointment. I remember feeling so put off when I finished them that I asked myself, I leveled up to 50 for this? When Yoshi-p took over, he decided that instead of adding more storyline quests like these, they would just add more storyline through the use of the grand companies. They add more several more "story" quests each major patch and they have laid out an excellent story with these. I can only assume the original dev team had expected to make a quick buck and then release an expansion with additional story. The storyline thus far that yoshi-p had gone with incorporates these "relics" and goes with the idea that the empire is plotting something that is going to usher in the 7th umbral era. When 2.0 launches, it will be the end of the pre-7th umbral era story and thus begin a new story planned just for post 2.0 launch. Also, with the complaints of how copy and paste the land terrain is, the new team under yoshi has decided that with they coming of the 7th umbral era, there will be a catastrophic event that radically changes the landscape. There ere .pdf files released under a letter from the direct a long time ago. You should be able to find those to see some minor teasers of what the new terrain will look like. It may take awhile to find them from the archives on the lodestone due to it being released so long ago.

EDIT: Sorry, another tidbit I forgot to include was that the original dev team wanted to make their "story" quests able to be done soloable by any class. This includes the crafting classes and gathering classes. This is why they are so horribly done. Yoshi has stated that when he continues to make the storyline quests, he does not have the participation of DoL or DoH classes in mind. They will all be made with a party of DoW/DoM in mind.

Edited, May 22nd 2012 8:16am by swisa
____________________________
#14 May 22 2012 at 10:32 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
^^^ The storyline is still garbage in all honesty <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#15 May 22 2012 at 12:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
I feel a bit more optimistic for 2.0 then. :)
#16 May 22 2012 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
575 posts
Elodin wrote:
"Hey, why not blow it on XIV! My computer can run it!"


I'm not sure how the game is running at the moment but if you said that when I was playing I would have told you that you had the only computer on the planet that could run it - smoothly at least.
#17 May 22 2012 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
The game runs perfectly smooth on my computer. I also don't experience the lag issues everyone else mentions. The last time I mentioned this, the karma hammer dropped and people bombed my rating. I really don't understand why.
____________________________
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)