Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

How come this game hasn't been canned yet?Follow

#1 May 30 2012 at 7:50 AM Rating: Default
21 posts
I used to have some hope that this game could make a decent comeback but after 2 years, its just old news frankly. Is SE holding on to their pride too much or are they just so out of touch with whats going on in the industry? This is the company after all who thought FFXIV could compete with WOW prerelease.
#2 May 30 2012 at 9:08 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
SE has actually position themselves in a great position, 2 months from now, they will launch a great offensive attack on all their haters and competition, by flooding the interwebs with atleast 1TB of information regarding 2.0!!

Or so i heard....
____________________________
MUTED
#3 May 30 2012 at 10:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
jasonsnow wrote:
I used to have some hope that this game could make a decent comeback but after 2 years, its just old news frankly. Is SE holding on to their pride too much or are they just so out of touch with whats going on in the industry? This is the company after all who thought FFXIV could compete with WOW prerelease.


Even Vanguard (remember Vanguard?) is going to be at SOE's booth at this year's E3 for their big F2P "comeback" and that game has been languishing for 5 years now. MMOs don't always die so easily.
#4 May 30 2012 at 10:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
Fortunately for SE, the Japanese gaming community is just as out of touch with the rest of the world. Games like WoW are unheard of there. Other than FFXI and TERA (which failed hard since they thought it'd be a good idea to charge $35 a month for it), there are no real large budget competitors there.
#5 May 30 2012 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
589 posts
Alright... I admit it!! It is all my fault. I keep playing the game... [pause] because... [long pause] because... [/sigh] well I just keep playing.
____________________________


[ffxivsig]866692[/ffxivsig]
#6 May 30 2012 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
175 posts
Dizmo wrote:
Fortunately for SE, the Japanese gaming community is just as out of touch with the rest of the world. Games like WoW are unheard of there. Other than FFXI and TERA (which failed hard since they thought it'd be a good idea to charge $35 a month for it), there are no real large budget competitors there.


Just wanted to point out that TERA in no way charges that much per month. They have tiers, You can pay monthly, tri-monthly, semi-annually, or annually.

Monthly
$14.99
$14.99 billed every month

3 Months
$11.95
$35.85 billed every 3 months

6 Months
$9.95
$59.70 billed every 6 months

Yearly
$8.95
$107.40 billed every 12 months


It's actually failing because there is nothing for level 60 players to do except 3 dungeons to run at end-game, for gear that drops somewhat steadily.

Edited, May 30th 2012 12:50pm by Darkm0d
____________________________
FFXI:(Remora -> Leviathan -> Shiva) WHM, BLM, RDM, THF, SAM, DNC
FFXIV: (Rabanastre) Working on: CON ~ LNC




[ffxivsig]1683745[/ffxivsig]
#7 May 30 2012 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
TERA in Japan costs 3000 yen (or maybe 2700 now). That's around $35. Sorry I wasn't clear.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/c/2011-12-29/japanese_tera_to_merge_servers.shtml

Edited, May 30th 2012 12:54pm by Dizmo
#8 May 30 2012 at 10:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
Non-sarcastic answer:

Square-Enix's only main franchise is Final Fantasy more or less. Sure, they have other franchises, like Dragon Quest, and what not, but nothing near as big as their FF series. If this were called something else, they probably would have cancelled it, but it's a main series game, and they're intent on not letting it go.

Personally, I'm playing because I like what they've been introducing so far, and I like the vision Yoshi's presenting so far (even making use of the terrible 1.0 limitations.)

I would be still be playing Final Fantasy XI, but they seem to have dropped all the stuff I loved about it and only has a skeleton crew more or less maintaining that game. The basic Final Fantasy XIV raid has more cutscenes than all of Abyssea/Voidwatch combined, and to me, that's a little saddening on the direction XI is heading in.

In short, they could stop the game, sure. Would it save them money? Probably in the short term, but they look like they can make profit out of saving FFXIV rather than scrapping it and moving onto another Final Fantasy game. I wouldn't doubt that they considered scrapping it and evaluating the pros and cons of that, though.


Edited, May 30th 2012 10:02am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#9 May 30 2012 at 11:06 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
Looking at videos and screenshots of Abyssea it just seems to be a cobbling together of old .DATs to very cheaply create new zones with scaled up enemies. I have no clue how that got a good reception. I think the fans really are too forgiving... no wonder they thought they could get away with leves (let's randomly spawn a few monsters causing havoc in the middle of nowhere, add a wall of text that pretends to justify it and call it content) and copy-pasted terrain in XIV.

Edited, May 30th 2012 1:17pm by Dizmo
#10 May 30 2012 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Abyssea got a good reception because while the zones/environments/monsters were color swapped, it provided a new gameplay experience that deviated from the slow-takes-forever-to-do-stuff atmosphere of FFXI of old.

I can see why people liked it, but it wasn't my tastes at all.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#11 May 30 2012 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
**
832 posts
Dizmo wrote:
Looking at videos and screenshots of Abyssea it just seems to be a cobbling together of old .DATs to very cheaply create new zones with scaled up enemies. I have no clue how that got a good reception. I think the fans really are too forgiving... no wonder they thought they could get away with copy-pasted terrain in XIV.

Mainly because it was a new event that anyone could participate in, from EXP alliances to NM camping. It also drops decent gear. Mostly because it's the BEST way of getting EXP though.

Edited, May 30th 2012 12:15pm by Niknar
____________________________
VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION PONEY!
デーブは、ここではありません。
Urthdigger wrote:
First person view {You can have this.} I'm a galka and wore a subligar all the way to 50. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to enjoy the other party member's screams of agony.

Likibiki wrote:
I wish I could get parties of that standard. Sadly I seem to end up playing with myself all the time.

[ffxisig]81208[/ffxisig]
#12 May 30 2012 at 11:18 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
But charging for reused DATs? That's ridiculous. People must have complained, surely.
#13 May 30 2012 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Dizmo wrote:
But charging for reused DATs? That's ridiculous. People must have complained, surely.


"PS2 limitations"
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1807397[/ffxivsig]
#14 May 30 2012 at 11:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
from someone that played Abyssea a fair bit, I can say that I didn't care that the same reskinned .dats were used... it was a fresh feel to the game, a different way to exp, a different way to farm good gear (low-man groups) and a fairly decent reward:time ratio. Above all else though, I think it was the fact that most of the gear coming out of it wasn't reskinned gear, but new models (AFv3) and that was enticing to people that were sick of seeing the same old gear on endgame players. Granted it got to the point where EVERYONE was in AFv3 lol... but at least you could tell what job they were ;) That is my one struggle with FFXIV so far... with a better engine I was hoping ot see some pretyt crazy gear variations... and so far 'potato sack' seems to be the hottest trend in Eorzea. I know it will get better, but even FFXI had 3-4 differently skinned gear choices within the first 15 levels...

I think that there is potential for FFXIV to turn a profit after v2.0 and that is what is really pushing it forward. From the small amount I have played, I see potential in the future as well.
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#15 May 30 2012 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
People pay a lot more money for Sparkling Aethereal Ponies.
Btw, there is quite a few competitor games in Japan. Lineage
I + II, Nobunaga's Ambition, Monster Hunter Frontier,Tera...
PC manufacturers produce loads of game-specific models.
http://www.dospara.co.jp/5shopping/game_pc.php

2.0 will not be able to rely on an undersaturated market
like its predecessor.
#16 May 30 2012 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Square-Enix's only main franchise is Final Fantasy more or less.


They've been snapping up a lot more IP than you think. Lara Croft is now owned by SE. Kingdom Hearts is also quite popular with several titles now. It's not all FF and DQ.

This is the list of confirmed titles SE will be showing at E3:

Hitman: Absolution (360, PS3, PC)
Tomb Raider (360, PS3, PC)
Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3, PC)
Quantum Conundrum (360, PS3, PC)
Heroes of Ruin (3DS)
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)
Gameglobe (WEB)

http://games.ign.com/articles/122/1224202p1.html
#17 May 30 2012 at 12:12 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
Rinsui wrote:
People pay a lot more money for Sparkling Aethereal Ponies.
Btw, there is quite a few competitor games in Japan. Lineage
I + II, Nobunaga's Ambition, Monster Hunter Frontier,Tera...

2.0 will not be able to rely on an undersaturated market
like its predecessor.


Well, I still don't think there's anywhere near the level of competition as in the west, Lineage I and II are old and TERA is almost dead, MHF seems to be successful but still, that was released 2 years ago. There's a lot of what looks like low-budget garbage, it shouldn't be hard to best that.

Incidentally, they finally localised Eve, it seems?

Quote:
PC manufacturers produce loads of game-specific models.


Yeah... I feel sorry for people who bought a $2000+ "FFXIV ready" machine.
#18 May 30 2012 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Kingdom Hearts and Thearhythm is Final Fantasy.

____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#19 May 30 2012 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Kingdom Hearts and Thearhythm is Final Fantasy.


I'm pretty sure the popularity of Kingdom Hearts has more to do with the Disney characters.

Edited, May 30th 2012 2:56pm by Xoie
#20 May 30 2012 at 1:11 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Xoie wrote:
I'm pretty sure the popularity of Kingdom Hearts has more to do with the Disney characters.


I'm not a big fan of Disney, but I am a big fan of gameplay. I play KH because its actually fun to play. A lost concept for people these days it seems.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#21 May 30 2012 at 2:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Xoie wrote:
I'm pretty sure the popularity of Kingdom Hearts has more to do with the Disney characters.


I'm not a big fan of Disney, but I am a big fan of gameplay. I play KH because its actually fun to play. A lost concept for people these days it seems.


I'm sure I'm overlooking many aspects. It just so happens a had a few friends who were really into Disney (girls love Disney!), and their decision to get a PS2 (way back when) was exclusively to play KH. Most reviews I read seemed to be more interested in the Disney aspect as well. Because of that, I've always just thought of it as a Disney game (in spite of my FF background).
#22 May 30 2012 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
the first KH was one of my favorite games to play through. It had a great story that kept your thinking through the game, it had interesting puzzles and fun mini-game style play with the gummie ship builder and such. I couldn't get into KH2 quite as much and never ended up finishing it, and haven't played any of the DS titles. I am looking forward to a PS3 version though, even though it is pushed back (do I sense a theme here?), as it has a ton of potential. The Disney aspect of it is definitely there, but in the end the game is its own beast and blends the Disney/FF characters together well and really stands out as one of the best franchises (outside of FF standalone and Dragon Quest) that SE has ran with. At least that is my opinion :P
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#23 May 30 2012 at 3:54 PM Rating: Default
****
4,169 posts
Grandlethal wrote:
The Disney aspect of it is definitely there, but in the end the game is its own beast and blends the Disney/FF characters together well and really stands out as one of the best franchises (outside of FF standalone and Dragon Quest) that SE has ran with. At least that is my opinion :P


Seconded.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#24 May 30 2012 at 4:32 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Xoie wrote:
I'm pretty sure the popularity of Kingdom Hearts has more to do with the Disney characters.

I'm not a big fan of Disney, but I am a big fan of gameplay. I play KH because its actually fun to play. A lost concept for people these days it seems.


I just can't get through all the Disney in the series. It wouldn't be so bad if they just didn't have voice acting. It's impossible for me to sit through Donald's grating lisp, Goofy's lazy eyed and certifiably mentally handicapped drawl, or Mickey's, "Oh, hehe, well golly gosh there, my pals, we're on a really swell quest!"
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#25 May 30 2012 at 5:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
The Disney aspect of it is definitely there, but in the end the game is its own beast and blends the Disney/FF characters together well and really stands out as one of the best franchises (outside of FF standalone and Dragon Quest) that SE has ran with. At least that is my opinion :P


Thirded.
(Boy did I fight against liking that game back then, because of the Disney aspect. But ultimately I had to admit it's mostly pretty well done.)
#26 May 30 2012 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
181 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Xoie wrote:
I'm pretty sure the popularity of Kingdom Hearts has more to do with the Disney characters.


I'm not a big fan of Disney, but I am a big fan of gameplay. I play KH because its actually fun to play. A lost concept for people these days it seems.


Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
The Disney aspect of it is definitely there, but in the end the game is its own beast and blends the Disney/FF characters together well and really stands out as one of the best franchises (outside of FF standalone and Dragon Quest) that SE has ran with. At least that is my opinion :P


Thirded.
(Boy did I fight against liking that game back then, because of the Disney aspect. But ultimately I had to admit it's mostly pretty well done.)


Agree with both, but come on! Who doesnt like making their own gummi ship!
#27 May 30 2012 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
One more +1 to KH. I didn't buy or try any since the first one, but I really liked that one, despite the Dysney characters.

Some of them (Beast, for example) are actually extremely well integrated. Some of the levels are awesome (Notably Nightmare before Christmas). The powers you unlock as you progress in the game gives it a bit of SOTN / Metroid feel with back-track exploration and revisiting old worlds.

The secret fights at the end of the game are probably the most "meaty" part of the game for a harcore gamer, but it was still a pretty interesting trip all the way. I did love figuring out tricks and strategies to win the optional bosses without a guide or the interwebz.

The polish and the package was totally top notch.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#28 May 30 2012 at 6:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Dizmo wrote:
But charging for reused DATs? That's ridiculous. People must have complained, surely.



it didnt matter because abyssea was a fresh and fun new gameplay model. i've never really seen anything like it. the problem for me, and the reason why i stopped playing, is that abyssea existed outside of any context. You went to abyssea to make your character stronger....for what? more abyssea. And now voidwatch, i guess. i left before VW really got rolling, as it appeared to have even less context than aby. /shrug

abyssea ended up feeling like swtor pvp is starting to feel..."i'm doing this over and over again, so i can...get better gear to do this over and over again"



____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#29 May 30 2012 at 6:30 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
Llester wrote:
Dizmo wrote:
But charging for reused DATs? That's ridiculous. People must have complained, surely.



it didnt matter because abyssea was a fresh and fun new gameplay model. i've never really seen anything like it. the problem for me, and the reason why i stopped playing, is that abyssea existed outside of any context. You went to abyssea to make your character stronger....for what? more abyssea. And now voidwatch, i guess. i left before VW really got rolling, as it appeared to have even less context than aby. /shrug



Abyssea is awesome. I love it. It let us play our characters in ways we never could. Suddenly jobs like smn which had always been chained to MP, could duke it out for hours without sitting down. It changed the entire way BST was played. It created opportunities for players to finally feel like superheroes.

The only problem is what is stated above - that it wasn't really rich in story and lore - which honestly, in itself, is no big deal for add-on scenarios. But it needed to be followed up with an expansion that gave people a reason to have built their characters up. Instead it was followed by voidwatch which is just some poppable nms that require an alliance to proc and take down. Totally bogus, really.

If abyssea had been followed by a full expansion with a new continent with at least 1 new city and 5 new zones and even a handful of totally new mobs, the game probably would have regained thousands of players. I don't even doubt it. When abyssea was still fresh and shiny there was tons of people coming back all the time. When the devs came out and said "abyssea was a mistake" and then gave players nothing but NMs with 1% drop rates and re-dos of old events... well yeah. That sucked.

Edited, May 30th 2012 5:31pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#30 May 30 2012 at 7:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Olorinus wrote:


Abyssea is awesome. I love it. It let us play our characters in ways we never could. Suddenly jobs like smn which had always been chained to MP, could duke it out for hours without sitting down. It changed the entire way BST was played. It created opportunities for players to finally feel like superheroes.

The only problem is what is stated above - that it wasn't really rich in story and lore - which honestly, in itself, is no big deal for add-on scenarios. But it needed to be followed up with an expansion that gave people a reason to have built their characters up. Instead it was followed by voidwatch which is just some poppable nms that require an alliance to proc and take down. Totally bogus, really.

If abyssea had been followed by a full expansion with a new continent with at least 1 new city and 5 new zones and even a handful of totally new mobs, the game probably would have regained thousands of players. I don't even doubt it. When abyssea was still fresh and shiny there was tons of people coming back all the time. When the devs came out and said "abyssea was a mistake" and then gave players nothing but NMs with 1% drop rates and re-dos of old events... well yeah. That sucked.




my thoughts exactly. i'd still be playing if a bona fide expansion had been released.
____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#31 May 30 2012 at 10:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
972 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Llester wrote:
Dizmo wrote:
But charging for reused DATs? That's ridiculous. People must have complained, surely.



it didnt matter because abyssea was a fresh and fun new gameplay model. i've never really seen anything like it. the problem for me, and the reason why i stopped playing, is that abyssea existed outside of any context. You went to abyssea to make your character stronger....for what? more abyssea. And now voidwatch, i guess. i left before VW really got rolling, as it appeared to have even less context than aby. /shrug



Abyssea is awesome. I love it. It let us play our characters in ways we never could. Suddenly jobs like smn which had always been chained to MP, could duke it out for hours without sitting down. It changed the entire way BST was played. It created opportunities for players to finally feel like superheroes.

The only problem is what is stated above - that it wasn't really rich in story and lore - which honestly, in itself, is no big deal for add-on scenarios. But it needed to be followed up with an expansion that gave people a reason to have built their characters up. Instead it was followed by voidwatch which is just some poppable nms that require an alliance to proc and take down. Totally bogus, really.

If abyssea had been followed by a full expansion with a new continent with at least 1 new city and 5 new zones and even a handful of totally new mobs, the game probably would have regained thousands of players. I don't even doubt it. When abyssea was still fresh and shiny there was tons of people coming back all the time. When the devs came out and said "abyssea was a mistake" and then gave players nothing but NMs with 1% drop rates and re-dos of old events... well yeah. That sucked.

Edited, May 30th 2012 5:31pm by Olorinus

Thirded, if that's a word? Why couldn't there be 2 cities & 3 new regions? A pvp oe massive pve war between these regions/cities. It seems Legion could have been great in Abyssea. Players needed super villians to fight with all that insane power of atma, etc.
#32 Jun 01 2012 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'm crossing my fingers for an announcement at the 10th anniversary Vanafest this year. The existing roadmap suddenly drops off at the end of 2012, which leads me to get my hopes up that big secret things are in store for 2013.

If all we get is more of the same at Vanafest, I think it might be time for me to retire for good.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#33 Jun 01 2012 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
According to the Vanafest brochure they released, it's just two new battlefields they plan on releasing.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#34 Jun 01 2012 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
According to the Vanafest brochure they released, it's just two new battlefields they plan on releasing.


Well yes, all they're going to mention in a brochure is the battlefields, because otherwise it'd spoil the surprise. Smiley: sly

Oh please oh please oh please let that interpretation be right.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#35 Jun 01 2012 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,774 posts
*checks*

Huh.... could have swore this was the FFXIV forum.

Be right back, I need to check again.
#36 Jun 01 2012 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
The two games are like sisters. You can't have a gossipy conversation about one of them without the subject of the other one's abusive boyfriend occasionally creeping in.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#37 Jun 01 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,774 posts
FFXI, the demure one that's old and past her prime and has gotten progressively more bitter?

FFXIV, the late child who's dressing herself all slutty-like in a desperation bid for attention?

... well, at least their ancestors are still hot. >.>
#38 Jun 01 2012 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
FFIX was drop-dead ****.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#39 Jun 01 2012 at 1:28 PM Rating: Excellent
*
61 posts
I really hope that FFXIV is at least 18, because I've been touching her naughty bits most every night.

I don't want to go to prison, but I'm not stopping anytime soon.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1544176[/ffxivsig]
#40 Jun 01 2012 at 2:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
And all this time my wife has said she'll never have a three-some... wait until I break the news to her :P
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#41 Jun 01 2012 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
This game hasn't been "canned," as you say, bec-

Oh, um, hey... this thread's turned rather... interesting...

I'll just... back out... slowly, now... and close the door...
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#42 Jun 02 2012 at 2:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,692 posts
Quote:
Well, I still don't think there's anywhere near the level of competition as in the west, Lineage I and II are old and TERA is almost dead, MHF seems to be successful but still, that was released 2 years ago. There's a lot of what looks like low-budget garbage, it shouldn't be hard to best that.

Incidentally, they finally localised Eve, it seems?


IS Tera dead in JP? Last I heard they had far more players than XIV has and charges a rather steep sub too, sounds prety good to me lol

Anyway the reason XIV is still going is because XI is paying for it to carry on, they vastly reduced spending on XI and the majority of the large profits from that game are pumped into this one (they see XIV as the future for XI players and a way to keep them paying them). Last I heard XI makes SE about 2-3 mill per month or something? They spend a minuscule fraction of that back on the game.

If FFXI lost all it's subscribers overnight you would see XIV close pretty quick.
#43 Jun 02 2012 at 5:51 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Pretty sure XI is keeping the entire company afloat as well.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#44 Jun 02 2012 at 5:58 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,774 posts
Grandlethal wrote:
And all this time my wife has said she'll never have a three-some... wait until I break the news to her :P



Come on Grandleathal, let's be honest. Which one are you really married to?

Anyway, about FFXI paying for FFXIV. That's no accurate. You're assuming SE only makes a profit off of FFXI, which would be quite false. You should also note that FFXIV has its own subscribers, albeit at a reduced rate, but it likely offsets some of the costs.

As far as the OP, I really don't feel like it's a question aimed at those who are playing the game, like myself. Because the easiest answer that comes to me is the obvious one - Because I'm playing it. As long as the subscriptions outweigh the maintenance and continual development, no matter how closely, then it stands a chance of recovering its loss - and it doesn't take all that many subscribers to do that.

Unlike smaller development companies that have to go through a publisher, Square Enix has the money to front this turn-around when others would have had to close for a lack of resources. Is FFXI the reason they are capable of doing this? It helps, but SE's not dependent on it.
#45 Jun 02 2012 at 6:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,692 posts
Quote:
Anyway, about FFXI paying for FFXIV. That's no accurate. You're assuming SE only makes a profit off of FFXI, which would be quite false. You should also note that FFXIV has its own subscribers, albeit at a reduced rate, but it likely offsets some of the costs.


Isn't SE online a separate division of SE? SE always advertises the **** out of FF games but SE online never seemed to do anything (or when they did it was utter fail). Thats why I think XI is paying for XIV, each part of the company has it's own budget.
#46 Jun 02 2012 at 9:14 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Was it not SE the one that lost 150mil on a movie and was ******** bricks to the point they had to merge with another company....... and that was on a time when everything SE touched was gold...... Now days one ****** out of 4 is avarage while the other 3 bomb..... FFXIV cost at a minimum was sitting at 50mil to up 75-100mil just to develop, and they have not seen a dime in profits for the past 8 years is been in development, considering that now days a single player game cost around 30-50 million to make (a triple AAA ****** atleast) i dont think they are swimming in billions of dollars, tho i'm not saying they are in financial problems either, but they cant afford to keep bombing ******** specially ones named Final Fantasy.

I mean jesus FFXIII Vs has been in development since the dawn of time, and IT IS STILL NOT READY!!! Come on square, start pumping out ******** DO YOU FORGET YOU HAVE OTHER IP'S ??
____________________________
MUTED
#47 Jun 02 2012 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
Runespider wrote:

IS Tera dead in JP? Last I heard they had far more players than XIV has and charges a rather steep sub too, sounds prety good to me lol

They merged down from 10 to 3 servers last I read.
#48 Jun 02 2012 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Ostia wrote:
Was it not SE the one that lost 150mil on a movie and was sh*tting bricks to the point they had to merge with another company....... and that was on a time when everything SE touched was gold...... Now days one ****** out of 4 is avarage while the other 3 bomb..... FFXIV cost at a minimum was sitting at 50mil to up 75-100mil just to develop, and they have not seen a dime in profits for the past 8 years is been in development, considering that now days a single player game cost around 30-50 million to make (a triple AAA ****** atleast) i dont think they are swimming in billions of dollars, tho i'm not saying they are in financial problems either, but they cant afford to keep bombing ******** specially ones named Final Fantasy.

I mean jesus FFXIII Vs has been in development since the dawn of time, and IT IS STILL NOT READY!!! Come on square, start pumping out ******** DO YOU FORGET YOU HAVE OTHER IP'S ??



Okay, I'll bite. Bolded all the statements that are incorrect. Something tells me you hate for the sake of hating. If a game takes too long, you complain. If a game is rushed out the door incomplete, you complain. Are you just never happy?

Square didn't merge with Enix out of desperation. The merger was in the works since 2000. It was Enix that backed down after Spirits Within bombed, and it took until Sakaguchi resigned from his post as executive vice president (a role Hiromichi Tanaka has since taken over, coincidence?) until Enix was willing to oblige with the merger. The movie bombing delayed a merger by three years, it wasn't the reason behind it.

I think it's safe to say FFXIV is Tanaka's version of Sakaguchi's Spirits Within more or less when it comes to really tarnishing the image and success of the company.

Take as long as they need for Versus XIII. You know what happens when they rushed their last Final Fantasy game? Well, I know you know, you only post about it all the time.

Also: Titles, not ********
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#49 Jun 02 2012 at 6:41 PM Rating: Excellent
**
923 posts
[quote]Also: Titles, not ****************

Imma go with *******
#50 Jun 02 2012 at 6:42 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
samosamo wrote:
[quote]Also: Titles, not ****************

Imma go with *******


******* and Bips?
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#51 Jun 02 2012 at 7:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Ostia wrote:
Was it not SE the one that lost 150mil on a movie and was sh*tting bricks to the point they had to merge with another company....... and that was on a time when everything SE touched was gold...... Now days one ****** out of 4 is avarage while the other 3 bomb..... FFXIV cost at a minimum was sitting at 50mil to up 75-100mil just to develop, and they have not seen a dime in profits for the past 8 years is been in development, considering that now days a single player game cost around 30-50 million to make (a triple AAA ****** atleast) i dont think they are swimming in billions of dollars, tho i'm not saying they are in financial problems either, but they cant afford to keep bombing ******** specially ones named Final Fantasy.

I mean jesus FFXIII Vs has been in development since the dawn of time, and IT IS STILL NOT READY!!! Come on square, start pumping out ******** DO YOU FORGET YOU HAVE OTHER IP'S ??


JP gaming industry are lower cost than America's (staff in entertainment industry are mostly underpaid), 50m would be maximum in my guess. You would be surprised on how much over-bloated other "AAA" titles cost, like Project Corpenicus that has gone bomb diving, compared to Rift that is much more cost efficient. And they are pumping out other titles, like Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Quantum Conundrum and Sleeping Dogs.
____________________________



[ffxivsig]1807831[/ffxivsig]
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (26)