Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Producer Letter XXIX is up - enter the Viera?!Follow

#1 Jun 04 2012 at 4:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/46936
Have fun with your bunny girls. ;)
#2 Jun 04 2012 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
I must say that most of the answers aligned with feedback that I provided, which is nice to know. It's surprising how generally aligned the international FFXIV community is on many issues. One thing about the letter I find rather disagreeable, though:

Yoshida wrote:
Being the sector of the game economy focused on obtaining natural resources, gathering is classified as primary industry. It’s simple by nature, and is reliant on the existence of crafters in order to thrive. For this reason, it’s very difficult to create standalone content for Disciples of the Land.


Here Yoshida says that gathering is "simple by nature," and that "it's very difficult to create standalone content" for gatherers. This statement, to me, seems to indicate that he's simply not thinking about the situation very creatively. A bit of refinement would go a long way toward improving gathering classes, for example: rare-spawn gathering nodes, like NMs but for gatherers, should appear (and look different!); a few variations of the single gathering mini-game should be added per class, depending upon the type of resource to be gathered; and each gathering class could learn a support ability or two that may entice others to set them on their battle classes.

Even if only the first two of these three suggestions were implemented, it would greatly enhance the experience of playing a gathering class (as well as the overall look of the world, as nodes would appear exotic and various). Additionally, such changes can be designed and carried through with minimal effort.


Edited, Jun 4th 2012 3:04pm by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#3 Jun 04 2012 at 8:17 AM Rating: Good
**
924 posts
Letter and poll results align with everything I voted. Still didn't stop me from cancelling my account last night :(

After three weeks of trying to get a party for Garuda; trying multiple times a day, shouts, ja, eu, na... I get nothing.

All anyone wants to do is hamlet (ja) or ***** and craft (na/eu). Very sad. Anyone on Excalibur in this forums actually want to do Garuda? ^^;
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#4 Jun 04 2012 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Shout party doesn't really work for something as difficult as Garuda. You may want to consider building a static party. It takes a lot of tries/re-tries to get a group to do it. Something that's hard to do with pickups.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#5 Jun 04 2012 at 9:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
447 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
This statement, to me, seems to indicate that he's simply not thinking about the situation very creatively


From what you highlighted alone, I'd agree, but you conveniently chose not to mention the other part of what he said:

Quote:
In particular, things are set to change dramatically system-side when version 2.0 arrives.


It's not clear what's meant by 'system-side', but it's also not clear that it's not creative. Given Yoshida's track record on what's been done so far, I'll optimistically wait and see what else is coming. I'm sure it's not trivial.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#6 Jun 04 2012 at 10:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
181 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Shout party doesn't really work for something as difficult as Garuda.


This. Surely there are some end game shells on your server you could join?
#7 Jun 04 2012 at 10:28 AM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
RampagingAnts wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Shout party doesn't really work for something as difficult as Garuda.


This. Surely there are some end game shells on your server you could join?


I've joined them. All 4 of em >.> They are all doing hamlet or crafting :( I'm a member of one of the leading jp shells as well and still they only want hamlet. After nerf no one's at node anymore. I setup a script to watch it while standing there. At around 4am you see 1-2 parties for a hour and at random times throughout the day but they aren't there long.

It's like they try, give up and go someplace else.

Edited, Jun 4th 2012 9:29am by Elionara
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#8 Jun 04 2012 at 12:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
volta1 wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
This statement, to me, seems to indicate that he's simply not thinking about the situation very creatively


From what you highlighted alone, I'd agree, but you conveniently chose not to mention the other part of what he said:

Yoshida wrote:
In particular, things are set to change dramatically system-side when version 2.0 arrives.


I conveniently chose not to mention it because the vague statement that 2.0 will alter "things" could really turn out to mean anything, or nothing, at all. Yoshida says the he plans to "secure a place for gatherers within the circle of contents [sic] the game has to offer, both pre- and post-version 2.0." This is all rather generic information, of course, but the fact that he both defends the "simplistic... nature" of gathering and cites their pre-2.0 status suggests that "things" won't be changing by too great a degree.

In the end, SE will probably increase the experience yield for gathering actions and scatter more nodes around the map, at which point they will consider the matter mostly settled.


Edited, Jun 4th 2012 3:04pm by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#9 Jun 04 2012 at 4:41 PM Rating: Default
****
9,526 posts
can someone pull the viera quote? My brain is too tired to pick through the wall o text that was linked.

Also, sad to hear them clinging to the idea that gathering classes MUST LACK DEPTH.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#10 Jun 04 2012 at 8:34 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Olorinus wrote:
can someone pull the viera quote? My brain is too tired to pick through the wall o text that was linked.

Also, sad to hear them clinging to the idea that gathering classes MUST LACK DEPTH.


The only thing about viera in the letter that I saw was when Yoshida jokingly mentioned that one response got its many votes because he used viera as an example of an "animal/demi-human race." He never said or even really hinted at actually implementing viera in FFXIV.

And, even though I could see some people liking them, in my opinion we don't really need a slutty bunny girl race in Tera FFXIV. :\
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#11 Jun 04 2012 at 9:59 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,149 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
And, even though I could see some people liking them, in my opinion we don't really need a slutty bunny girl race in Tera FFXIV. :\


I agree. XIV should focus on improving gameplay. TERA can get away with slutbunnies because regardless of whether or not people like it, it's fun to play.

I'm not sure why SE is considering aesthetic changes anyway. I've always been a bit skeptic of the priorities this team has when it comes to reboot, but some of the questions they ask for responses to in these polls...
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#12 Jun 05 2012 at 2:31 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
And, even though I could see some people liking them, in my opinion we don't really need a slutty bunny girl race in Tera FFXIV. :\

Yaaaaay! Here we are again, folks! I shiver with the temptation to give this thread the final nudge
to completely derail it into yet another TERA skin nudity boob diskussion. Alas, I will not... yet.
Strangely, even Mr. Filthy seems to agree that new races at this point would be pretty superfluous.
What good is my bunny girl when when the problem is the lack of interesting gameplay mechanics?

Then again, explaining their sudden appearance in Eorzea could provide the stage for some
interesting twists to the storyline (e.g. the magitech experiments of the Garlean empire ripped
open an interdimensional link to the Ivalice world etc. etc. Sounds cheesy? Definitely; but at least
it's more concrete and accessible than the endless abstract innuendo about the twelve, dalamud,
the echo, and all the rest of the underdeveloped hints at a backstory that was never there in the
first place).
#13 Jun 05 2012 at 3:55 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
^^^ That would be stupid of them to do, because then it opens the door on more dimensional garbage drama, where fans would like to cherry pick, what dimension, and we all know people have already mention sephiroth and cloud and god forbid they pick FFVI, i would hate to see the best FF as a part of this game in any form...... tho jesus just look at the story lol is empire vs returners all over <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#14 Jun 05 2012 at 4:15 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,149 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Strangely, even Mr. Filthy seems to agree that new races at this point would be pretty superfluous.
What good is my bunny girl when when the problem is the lack of interesting gameplay mechanics?


It's not really strange. It doesn't bother me either in the FF series or any other, but I'd prefer trashy character models over trashy gameplay anyday. We've heard the arguments for and against revealing clothing, but go play the free trial of TERA and tell me that you've played a better combat system in an MMO. If XIV had put in something like this, I'd have a much larger audience here to express my love for ******* to Smiley: sly
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#15 Jun 06 2012 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Here Yoshida says that gathering is "simple by nature," and that "it's very difficult to create standalone content" for gatherers. This statement, to me, seems to indicate that he's simply not thinking about the situation very creatively.

I thought the consensus was always that being one of Tanaka's things and Yoshi just kept them because they were already a part of the game? I mean gathering/crafting being their own jobs or classes or whatever. It's always seemed like they were an afterthought for him. I don't mean that he is against them as much as he has never seemed to fully embrace them or know what to do with them. At least that's always been my take on it.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)