Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Interview of Naoki Yoshida during the Japan ExpoFollow

#1 Jul 08 2012 at 3:06 PM Rating: Good
7 posts
As at E3, Naoki Yoshida responded to several interviews during the Japan Expo, one of JOL-FF XIV accompanied MondesPersistants and Finalfantasy14.eu !

Link : http://forum.finalfantasy14.eu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2338
____________________________

#2 Jul 08 2012 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
The translation makes it a bit difficult to read, at least the leveling up part... sounds like there's no levels, but there are the way I read it. Everything else is cool though.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#3 Jul 08 2012 at 4:34 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
I know this will make some people angry, but I have to offer a bit of commentary on the interview, specifically the greater and greater similarity this game has to, you guessed it, WoW. How FFXIV expects to stand out by making yet another World of Warcraft influenced MMORPG is beyond me, especially at a time when that market is not only incredibly bloated but when even millions of WoW players are tired of the formula.

Yoshida wrote:
completing content is a key to leveling up in 2.0 version...Completing the quests, getting rewards, huge experience points... that's going to be the key thing to level up your character, not like at the moment where you have to do monster camping or farming, that's not going to work in 2.0.

[....]We believe having more quests is the most important thing.


So, it sounds exactly like another WoW-style leveling experience, clearly without an alternative, at that.

Yoshida wrote:
For the battle, it's going to be really fast and speedy.


Also sounds like they want WoW-style combat, too: the five-seconds-per-monster sort of thing.

Interview Description & Yoshida wrote:
the colors are much brighter... [and] you can jump wherever you want.


Bah, more of a WoW design.

Yoshida wrote:
We will make sure to put a concept art and some tips on the waiting screen


What!? Now we're even borrowing from WoW's loading screens, haha! (That one's actually not that big of a deal. :P)

Every time I hear more about the development of 2.0, I start to get even more concerned for the future of this game. Obviously SE is taking the most cautious route to their reboot, and a cautious MMORPG, in this day and age, strongly swings toward the design popularized by World of Warcraft, even in ways it shouldn't. Most games that take after WoW fail, and for good reason; FFXIV is now planning to take after WoW, and it's already sitting at one of the lowest aggregate review scores for any game in recent memory.

In my opinion, rather than court the illusory "WoW millions" that every MMO maker seems fated to aim for, SE would have been better off catering to their extremely loyal but relatively smaller Final Fantasy (XI) population, making a "niche" game that would have offered something different for those not interested in the kind of MMORPG that currently exists in droves.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#4 Jul 08 2012 at 4:55 PM Rating: Default
Sage
**
534 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
I know this will make some people angry, but I have to offer a bit of commentary on the interview, specifically the greater and greater similarity this game has to, you guessed it, WoW. How FFXIV expects to stand out by making yet another World of Warcraft influenced MMORPG is beyond me, especially at a time when that market is not only incredibly bloated but when even millions of WoW players are tired of the formula.

Yoshida wrote:
completing content is a key to leveling up in 2.0 version...Completing the quests, getting rewards, huge experience points... that's going to be the key thing to level up your character, not like at the moment where you have to do monster camping or farming, that's not going to work in 2.0.

[....]We believe having more quests is the most important thing.


So, it sounds exactly like another WoW-style leveling experience, clearly without an alternative, at that.

Yoshida wrote:
For the battle, it's going to be really fast and speedy.


Also sounds like they want WoW-style combat, too: the five-seconds-per-monster sort of thing.

Interview Description & Yoshida wrote:
the colors are much brighter... [and] you can jump wherever you want.


Bah, more of a WoW design.

Yoshida wrote:
We will make sure to put a concept art and some tips on the waiting screen


What!? Now we're even borrowing from WoW's loading screens, haha! (That one's actually not that big of a deal. :P)

Every time I hear more about the development of 2.0, I start to get even more concerned for the future of this game. Obviously SE is taking the most cautious route to their reboot, and a cautious MMORPG, in this day and age, strongly swings toward the design popularized by World of Warcraft, even in ways it shouldn't. Most games that take after WoW fail, and for good reason; FFXIV is now planning to take after WoW, and it's already sitting at one of the lowest aggregate review scores for any game in recent memory.

In my opinion, rather than court the illusory "WoW millions" that every MMO maker seems fated to aim for, SE would have been better off catering to their extremely loyal but relatively smaller Final Fantasy (XI) population, making a "niche" game that would have offered something different for those not interested in the kind of MMORPG that currently exists in droves.


I take it you are not a game designer or the business world. They would have scrapped 14 if they ever had plans for this to be another niche game. If the best they can do is try to lure some FFXI players away...they have already lost. That's not how they are going to recoup their lost $$.

As I have said before...they are not making 2.0 for the players currently playing. They are making 2.0 to regain those who left, who greatly outnumber those who stuck around. probably 20-1(or more). That group who is playing and enjoying themselves are the ones who have the highest chance of leaving after they see what Yoshi is preparing in 2.0. If he loses 20K of loyal FFXIV players to gain 200K from other places...pretty good trade off. Again...$$.

The only way for 2.0 to survive in a an MMO world where monthly subscriptions are becoming a thing of the past...is to change the direction and move the game more towards what the public wants. WoW, Guild Wars 2, EQ Next(which will be F2P)..etc...

Yes, FFXIV will be F2P soon than later. Not because they have to...but because the competition is going that route. Those who do not know that have their heads in the sand.

You don't like the first version of FFXIV?...and the solution is the redo and repeat the mistakes of FFXIV? Adding an auction and housing, as well as redoing maps...will not bring back those who left. How would that trailer go? Not good.

I find it kinda funny how someone can ***** about FFXIV for years...and when details come out to how the game will change...its more of the same *********

sad.


Edited, Jul 9th 2012 10:25am by Simool
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#5 Jul 08 2012 at 5:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
117 posts
I think its a bad idea if they're going with quest chaining as the main form of leveling up. Not that straight grinding is any better but imo quest chaining is just as grindy and just as dated. It ran its course already and if its your typical quest hub to quest hub progression without any twists it gets boring quick.

From my experience with TERA i enjoyed the game quite a bit. It looked beautiful, the gameplay was a lot of fun, and it was a really fresh experience but by the time i hit level 45 on my warrior, the quests had already burned me out and i stopped playing.

I don't know. From my experience quest hub progression is boring. This said however the FF theme will win me over and i'll play 2.0 til my eyes pop out of their sockets...or til the quests burn me out.

Everything else in that interview sounds great!
#6 Jul 08 2012 at 5:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
523 posts
Quote:
I know this will make some people angry, but I have to offer a bit of commentary on the interview, specifically the greater and greater similarity this game has to, you guessed it, WoW. How FFXIV expects to stand out by making yet another World of Warcraft influenced MMORPG is beyond me, especially at a time when that market is not only incredibly bloated but when even millions of WoW players are tired of the formula.

Yoshida wrote:
completing content is a key to leveling up in 2.0 version...Completing the quests, getting rewards, huge experience points... that's going to be the key thing to level up your character, not like at the moment where you have to do monster camping or farming, that's not going to work in 2.0.

[....]We believe having more quests is the most important thing.


So, it sounds exactly like another WoW-style leveling experience, clearly without an alternative, at that.

Yoshida wrote:
For the battle, it's going to be really fast and speedy.


Also sounds like they want WoW-style combat, too: the five-seconds-per-monster sort of thing.

Interview Description & Yoshida wrote:
the colors are much brighter... [and] you can jump wherever you want.


Bah, more of a WoW design.

Yoshida wrote:
We will make sure to put a concept art and some tips on the waiting screen


What!? Now we're even borrowing from WoW's loading screens, haha! (That one's actually not that big of a deal. :P)

Every time I hear more about the development of 2.0, I start to get even more concerned for the future of this game. Obviously SE is taking the most cautious route to their reboot, and a cautious MMORPG, in this day and age, strongly swings toward the design popularized by World of Warcraft, even in ways it shouldn't. Most games that take after WoW fail, and for good reason; FFXIV is now planning to take after WoW, and it's already sitting at one of the lowest aggregate review scores for any game in recent memory.

In my opinion, rather than court the illusory "WoW millions" that every MMO maker seems fated to aim for, SE would have been better off catering to their extremely loyal but relatively smaller Final Fantasy (XI) population, making a "niche" game that would have offered something different for those not interested in the kind of MMORPG that currently exists in droves.


WoW was the first MMO to put in bright colors, jump and loading screen tips?

Well, I learn something every day.
#7 Jul 08 2012 at 6:02 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
@KK
Most of the ideas you refer to as 'more like WoW' are generic and you could substitute any recently released MMO in WoW's place. I agree that WoW set the standard, but players have come to expect certain things from their experience in an MMO these days.

A quest based leveling system is more than likely there for players who want to get experience at their own pace. I don't see a problem with this as it's probably something you can do alone or with a group. Quests are a staple of RPGs in general so pinning this to WoW doesn't make much sense.

Players also want engaging combat mechanics. I think(read: hope) this has more to do with giving players more options for using abilities rather than being able to mow through mobs in mere seconds. Even though I think it needs adjustment, I think TERA has a good grip on this part of the game. Instead of waiting on TP to build, you use your basic attacks to build it up and spend it on more damaging abilities or abilities which debuff, stun or what have you. You have a choice between mowing a mob down in seconds and struggling to get your resource back in the next battle, using it moderately and keeping a steady kill speed or conserving it for something dangerous.

kyara10 wrote:
I think its a bad idea if they're going with quest chaining as the main form of leveling up. Not that straight grinding is any better but imo quest chaining is just as grindy and just as dated. It ran its course already and if its your typical quest hub to quest hub progression without any twists it gets boring quick.

From my experience with TERA i enjoyed the game quite a bit. It looked beautiful, the gameplay was a lot of fun, and it was a really fresh experience but by the time i hit level 45 on my warrior, the quests had already burned me out and i stopped playing.


If you don't want to grind, you're in the wrong genre. The grind is necessary because there isn't an endless supply of endgame content for players to participate in should that grind be removed. That said, I'm all for alternate routes to achieving your goals and I wish that this was something that developers would spend a little more time on.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#8 Jul 08 2012 at 10:33 PM Rating: Good
***
2,914 posts
kyara10 wrote:
I think its a bad idea if they're going with quest chaining as the main form of leveling up. Not that straight grinding is any better but imo quest chaining is just as grindy and just as dated. It ran its course already and if its your typical quest hub to quest hub progression without any twists it gets boring quick.

From my experience with TERA i enjoyed the game quite a bit. It looked beautiful, the gameplay was a lot of fun, and it was a really fresh experience but by the time i hit level 45 on my warrior, the quests had already burned me out and i stopped playing.

I don't know. From my experience quest hub progression is boring. This said however the FF theme will win me over and i'll play 2.0 til my eyes pop out of their sockets...or til the quests burn me out.

Everything else in that interview sounds great!

I'm okay with "theme-park" leveling as long as its 1. not super linear (think WoW's "cataclysm" leveling experience) and 2. tells a good story. I think the combo of WoW quest mechanics and Final Fantasy storytelling could be a marriage of greatness.

But only time can tell.
#9 Jul 09 2012 at 2:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
117 posts
plutoknight wrote:
kyara10 wrote:
I think its a bad idea if they're going with quest chaining as the main form of leveling up. Not that straight grinding is any better but imo quest chaining is just as grindy and just as dated. It ran its course already and if its your typical quest hub to quest hub progression without any twists it gets boring quick.

From my experience with TERA i enjoyed the game quite a bit. It looked beautiful, the gameplay was a lot of fun, and it was a really fresh experience but by the time i hit level 45 on my warrior, the quests had already burned me out and i stopped playing.

I don't know. From my experience quest hub progression is boring. This said however the FF theme will win me over and i'll play 2.0 til my eyes pop out of their sockets...or til the quests burn me out.

Everything else in that interview sounds great!

I'm okay with "theme-park" leveling as long as its 1. not super linear (think WoW's "cataclysm" leveling experience) and 2. tells a good story. I think the combo of WoW quest mechanics and Final Fantasy storytelling could be a marriage of greatness.

But only time can tell.


Completely agree. If they can flesh out the quests where we get great storytelling i think it would be amazing. Maybe they will too. Im not writing anything off. Could be the shallow storytelling that turned me off TERA and other MMOs ike it.

@FilthyMcnasty im not against a grind. I enjoyed straight grinding in FFXI for years. But the general consensus is that quests are less grindy, i was just making the connection that they arent. In FFXI the grind was fun for me personally not because i couldnt get enough of killing crabs in Valkyrum for 10 levels and repeat that for 65 more but because it was done in parties and the experience was unmatched for me at the time by any other game (that i've played). What quest progression does is take that and remove the other players. Thats it. I think thats worse. However, if they manage to have good storytelling and some twist on the typical quest system, it can be fun.
#10 Jul 09 2012 at 3:11 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Legacy players don't get that this game is going to have to change out of what they currently play, Yoshi has said he likes wow and has told his team to play it and other similar games. Now people are surprised when it's going to be like wow?

They tried to be unique with FF14 and it failed badly, now they are going to do it like everyone else. Quest leveling is standard to all MMOs.
____________________________
BANNED
#11 Jul 09 2012 at 4:23 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
kyara10 wrote:
im not against a grind. I enjoyed straight grinding in FFXI for years. But the general consensus is that quests are less grindy, i was just making the connection that they arent. In FFXI the grind was fun for me personally not because i couldnt get enough of killing crabs in Valkyrum for 10 levels and repeat that for 65 more but because it was done in parties and the experience was unmatched for me at the time by any other game (that i've played). What quest progression does is take that and remove the other players. Thats it. I think thats worse. However, if they manage to have good storytelling and some twist on the typical quest system, it can be fun.

I disagree. I don't think anyone thinks that quests are any less of a grind. Quest progression also doesn't remove other players. All it does is remove the necessity to have a group to get something done. The consensus is that people prefer because it is something they can do on their own if they don't have time to form a group. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from recruiting a group and grinding quests or mobs for your levels. At least you'd have the option to complete them on your own if you didn't want to spend 20 minutes assembling a group to quest for 10 minutes.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#12 Jul 09 2012 at 5:39 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
588 posts
I'm with KaneKitty on this one. Very disappointing.
____________________________



#13 Jul 09 2012 at 8:14 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,214 posts
I do find it interesting that there have been so many threads about how "Level Grinding is such an antiquated method", and now that they say that they are breaking with that, and setting the game up to be more about story leveling, People are now chiming in that Quest leveling is a bad idea.

Personally, I am just hoping that both options are available. That you can do the quests as means of leveling, or you can fight monsters, or both.

Personally, I am all for mob grinding (and considering the butcher's crown...).

I am definitely on the wait-and-see boat, I doubt it will be a make or break aspect to the game.
#14 Jul 09 2012 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
Gotta agree with Kane. WoW-clones lose players fast (which isn't to say they "fail"--the vast majority of recent WoW clones to "crash and burn" are still going, albeit with relatively small playerbases), and FFXIV doesn't have enough players to begin with.

The silver lining in the stories of Aion, Rift, SWTOR is that they're still around, and people enjoy playing them. You don't need to be wildly successful to have a extant MMO, even if it isn't thriving by conventional wisdom. FFXIV doesn't need to appeal to everyone to survive, but it does need to appeal to someone. Right now, it's almost universally panned, even, apparently, by the very few people paying to play. I want FFXIV to be unique and fun, even if it won't capture the hearts and minds of 10 million WoW players looking for a new home. IMHO it's currently unique, not so fun. 2.0 is sounded less unique, but not really more fun.
____________________________


#15 Jul 09 2012 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
**
923 posts
Euch quest chaining........I was really hoping for a unique MMO with modern features...not a WOW clone...I'll reserve judgement until it's released but I'm losing hope.
#16 Jul 10 2012 at 12:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
preludes wrote:
Legacy players don't get that this game is going to have to change out of what they currently play, Yoshi has said he likes wow and has told his team to play it and other similar games. Now people are surprised when it's going to be like wow?

They tried to be unique with FF14 and it failed badly, now they are going to do it like everyone else. Quest leveling is standard to all MMOs.


Now they're going to copy WoW and fail because it'll just been seen as another WoW clone. Such a wasted chance for being a different MMO.
#17 Jul 10 2012 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
Theonehio wrote:
preludes wrote:
Legacy players don't get that this game is going to have to change out of what they currently play, Yoshi has said he likes wow and has told his team to play it and other similar games. Now people are surprised when it's going to be like wow?

They tried to be unique with FF14 and it failed badly, now they are going to do it like everyone else. Quest leveling is standard to all MMOs.


Now they're going to copy WoW and fail because it'll just been seen as another WoW clone. Such a wasted chance for being a different MMO.


There are plenty of 'WoW clones' that are alive and well. I'm not sure I'd trust SE to even be able to pull that off at this point Smiley: frown
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#18 Jul 17 2012 at 8:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
117 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
preludes wrote:
Legacy players don't get that this game is going to have to change out of what they currently play, Yoshi has said he likes wow and has told his team to play it and other similar games. Now people are surprised when it's going to be like wow?

They tried to be unique with FF14 and it failed badly, now they are going to do it like everyone else. Quest leveling is standard to all MMOs.


Now they're going to copy WoW and fail because it'll just been seen as another WoW clone. Such a wasted chance for being a different MMO.


There are plenty of 'WoW clones' that are alive and well. I'm not sure I'd trust SE to even be able to pull that off at this point Smiley: frown


Thank god everything hinges on your trust! Smiley: clown
#19 Jul 17 2012 at 10:54 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
kyara10 wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
preludes wrote:
Legacy players don't get that this game is going to have to change out of what they currently play, Yoshi has said he likes wow and has told his team to play it and other similar games. Now people are surprised when it's going to be like wow?

They tried to be unique with FF14 and it failed badly, now they are going to do it like everyone else. Quest leveling is standard to all MMOs.


Now they're going to copy WoW and fail because it'll just been seen as another WoW clone. Such a wasted chance for being a different MMO.


There are plenty of 'WoW clones' that are alive and well. I'm not sure I'd trust SE to even be able to pull that off at this point Smiley: frown


Thank god everything hinges on your trust! Smiley: clown

Not everything. I realize that SE probably could care less about only my subscription fee, but realize that there are many other people like me who are at least hesitant to accept SE's word on faith alone. After failing to launch and following that up with lying about their progress, SE now has a stigma to shake. People tend to doubt anything you say without first seeing your words put into actions beyond that point.


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#20 Jul 18 2012 at 3:43 AM Rating: Good
*
97 posts
I don't really care if Yoshida uses WoW elements or not, what I do care is that it's entertaining. I want a FF MMO which is catered to the casual and hardcore at the same time. The main thing about WoW is that I don't like the graphics, at all. It's way too cartoony for my liking and it's too casual (from what I've heard). With FF visuals and a lot of elements of the FF Universe, I couldn't care less about what they think up, as long as it's interesting to play.

I remember where being level 75 was an achievement, it was your goal for so many months that you were relieved and very happy to get at that point. Took some effort as well. I want that in FFXIV, something to strive for, unless that's just for equipment. Ack, maybe I just want another CoP experience, back when it was "hard". You got leveling on one hand and the tough missions on the other. That was perfect. I didn't so much care for leveling, I just wanted to do CoP missions, cause it was a challenge.

As a reference, it's like Forza Motorsport 3 and 4. You couldn't just get all cars in Forza 3, they changed that in Forza 4 so you were able to get a lot of cars with the same kind of effort it took to get just a fraction of the cars in 3. I'm not against getting most of all classes maxxed in FFXIV, if you compare it with Forza 4. For the same reason implementing WoW elements into FFXIV could work, as long at it's a challenge, not some casual content that you can finish without too much effort, im done with easy difficulty games.
____________________________
FFXI - Ragnar - Whm75 - Kujata - Retired 2007
FFXI - Monarc - Smn76/Drg76/Whm75 - Kujata - Retired 2010

FFXI currently installing again?!? - July 2012
#21 Jul 18 2012 at 9:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
334 posts
I finally broke down and tried WoW at my brother's insistence. It's alright. I'd still take XI over it in a heartbeat. The interesting thing is to see how many elements from WoW have made their way into XIV. I honestly prefer monster grinding over quest grinding because I prefer to do things with people rather than soloing. ****, many of the people I completed XI content with and people who filled out my friend list were people I met FIRST in an XP party in the dunes or qufim or the jungle etc. At first I liked XIV's "pull six mobs and everyone take one" version of mob grinding, but it honestly got old quick. I miss skillchains and magic bursts on a mob that could actually wipe the party if you weren't paying attention. XIV's partying style still almost feels like soloing.

I think my biggest disappointment with XIV is the boring-ness of the world. XI had so many interesting zones that you ended up exploring due to the vast amount of questing. XIV's world seems to have these gigantic zones that feel empty because there's not much variety to them. There's no incentive to run to the ends of the world because there's nothing there to advance your character. And I'm really not a huge fan of instanced dungeons either. I liked going down into KRT or SSG or Ifrit's cauldron etc. to farm eyes for a Hopping Taco cluster. I much prefer having item-popped NM's and dungeons you can explore at your leisure on BST without having to enter an instance.

The world in XI just seemed so vast and interesting. I would go skill up in weird places just to see the sights. I LIKED having to roam around. I wanted to do that. I'm not sure if XIV is missing that due to a low pop. or due to actual game design, but it just doesn't feel like adventure in the same way XI did. Neither does WoW. For as much as people ***** about the repetitiveness of XI, I felt like one of it's major strengths was variety. I went to 4367439857348957 different zones to level. I did subjob quests, advanced job quests, and fame quests in each city. I did quests to get outpost warps. I did missions in my nation. I did missions to raise my level cap. I did quests to get a bigger gobbiebag or mog safe. I did ZM, CoP, and ToAU missions. I didn't just learn my spells as a mage, I had to get drops or do quests. I camped NM's. Yes, sometimes I cursed them, but it actually felt like an accomplishment to get an Obow or Byakko's Haidate. That, to me, is variety.

I think my biggest thing I'm hoping to see in 2.0 is that type of variety. And a big exciting world with reasons to go explore it. The two go hand in hand.
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#22 Jul 19 2012 at 5:37 AM Rating: Excellent
*
97 posts
ChaCha, I agree, just got my hand on a second hand copy for xbox, guess I'm restarting FFXI lol. Haven't tried BST yet, that's my new hobby. Still something Ive never done in FFXI.... :) oh and SMN of course...
____________________________
FFXI - Ragnar - Whm75 - Kujata - Retired 2007
FFXI - Monarc - Smn76/Drg76/Whm75 - Kujata - Retired 2010

FFXI currently installing again?!? - July 2012
#23 Jul 19 2012 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
334 posts
I haven't actively played XI since the level cap raised from 75, but I'm assuming a lvl 99 BST would be quite fun for exploring the world at large. I'm not sure if they adjusted NM's at all when they raised the cap to 99, but if not, I imagine you could solo quite a few guys that were formerly pretty mean. I never played SMN either. I had BST, WAR, and RNG capped out pretty well when lvl cap was 75.

Sometimes I still consider re-installing XI, but I think I'm just going to wait it out and see what 2.0 brings. Everyone I used to play XI with has moved on to other games and the game itself seems to have passed me by. What I really want is to be a part of an influx of new people, playing a new game, and experiencing that newness collectively. That's another thing that has me a bit apprehensive about 2.0. I hope they introduce something that's different enough from the current version that it can become what it should have been in the first place- a new and exciting saga that carries on the successful elements that made XI so awesome, while incorporating new elements that allow it to be its own unique game. We'll see.
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#24 Jul 19 2012 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
If they updated the graphics engine I would go back and start over in a heartbeat. The current version hurts my eyes. I would do Zilart, CoP, ToAU, WotG all over again.
____________________________



#25 Jul 19 2012 at 3:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
334 posts
If they made a server that only accepted new characters, and I could rustle up an old friend or two, I'd do it all again as well. I could even live with the graphics. As we see with XIV, content >> graphics...
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#26 Jul 19 2012 at 7:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
I wish SE would just focus on their domestic market instead of trying to become popular in the west... but maybe another WoW would be "new and exciting" for Japan.

Edited, Jul 19th 2012 10:01pm by Dizmo
#27 Jul 19 2012 at 9:24 PM Rating: Good
****
4,153 posts
Dizmo wrote:
I wish SE would just focus on their domestic market instead of trying to become popular in the west... but maybe another WoW would be "new and exciting" for Japan.


SE is not trying to clone WoW. They're trying to update their mechanics, controls and user interface to function properly, as they do in WoW. Accomplishing this will help them in any market, not just in the west. People want games to be responsive and intuitive everywhere.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#28 Jul 20 2012 at 11:03 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Dizmo wrote:
I wish SE would just focus on their domestic market instead of trying to become popular in the west... but maybe another WoW would be "new and exciting" for Japan.


SE is not trying to clone WoW. They're trying to update their mechanics, controls and user interface to function properly, as they do in WoW. Accomplishing this will help them in any market, not just in the west. People want games to be responsive and intuitive everywhere.


Exactly why he references "Like in WoW" nonstop in almost all new interviews. Like I said, once this fails as a WoW clone, that's pretty much it for them, there won't be a FFXIV 3.0.

#29 Jul 20 2012 at 7:14 PM Rating: Good
****
4,153 posts
Theonehio wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Dizmo wrote:
I wish SE would just focus on their domestic market instead of trying to become popular in the west... but maybe another WoW would be "new and exciting" for Japan.


SE is not trying to clone WoW. They're trying to update their mechanics, controls and user interface to function properly, as they do in WoW. Accomplishing this will help them in any market, not just in the west. People want games to be responsive and intuitive everywhere.


Exactly why he references "Like in WoW" nonstop in almost all new interviews. Like I said, once this fails as a WoW clone, that's pretty much it for them, there won't be a FFXIV 3.0.


For what seems like the 10th time now, XIV is not cloning WoW. They're trying to make it play more like a game than the current state of navigating endless menus or toggling between several targeting modes, none of which work intuitively. You could just as easily say 'more like TERA' or 'more like Rift' because pretty much any other game is easier to use and requires much less effort.

Edited, Jul 20th 2012 9:15pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#30 Jul 22 2012 at 12:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
For what seems like the 10th time now, XIV is not cloning WoW. They're trying to make it play more like a game than the current state of navigating endless menus or toggling between several targeting modes, none of which work intuitively. You could just as easily say 'more like TERA' or 'more like Rift' because pretty much any other game is easier to use and requires much less effort.


To put it another way, it's like demanding that Android should only use a command-line interface; otherwise, it would be an iPhone clone and fail because people who don't like iPhones obviously want it to be harder to use.
#31 Jul 24 2012 at 10:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
53 posts
Simool wrote:
As I have said before...they are not making 2.0 for the players currently playing. They are making 2.0 to regain those who left, who greatly outnumber those who stuck around. probably 20-1(or more).


Reading this makes me remember launch day FF XIV. Every poor little marmor in sight was engaged by ppl trying to lvl fast. And the lag was horrible too.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)