Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Do we have any reason to believe that 2.0 will succeed?Follow

#152 Aug 08 2012 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Tychondrias wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Tychondrias wrote:
And they are still producing great RPG's that are recognized from their reputation and experience. Perhaps I should have listed their more recent titles in that first list (as I did in my last post).


Based on what? Nearly nothing(when you compare what has to the rest of the volume) is getting any sort of praise. I think that's the point that you're trying to deflect away from.


I'm not sure I understand your point. FFXIII and XIII-2 received a lot of praise:
"Final Fantasy XIII received generally positive reviews. It was rated 39 out of 40 by the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII)

"During its first week of release in Japan, Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold 524,000 copies, and the PlayStation 3 version was the highest-selling game for the system."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII-2)

Since 13, they've only released FFXIV on the PC, which I agree did not have a good start. However 2.0 is becoming a highly anticipated game, especially with the announcement of game-play footage being shown at GamesCom this year (http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/30/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-gameplay-will-be-revealed-at-gamescom/)

I'd be interested to see some of your sources that state Final Fantasy has received no praise as of late :)


The only FF title Famitsu hasn't reviewed is FF14, because there weren't even enough functional mechanics present to lob their usual softball of a review for SE. It's widely known that Famitsu basically always gives FF games a great score, regardless of quality... until the one time the game was so bad, the only thing they could do is simply not review it.
____________________________
#153 Aug 08 2012 at 3:31 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
64 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Tychondrias wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Tychondrias wrote:
And they are still producing great RPG's that are recognized from their reputation and experience. Perhaps I should have listed their more recent titles in that first list (as I did in my last post).


Based on what? Nearly nothing(when you compare what has to the rest of the volume) is getting any sort of praise. I think that's the point that you're trying to deflect away from.


I'm not sure I understand your point. FFXIII and XIII-2 received a lot of praise:
"Final Fantasy XIII received generally positive reviews. It was rated 39 out of 40 by the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII)

"During its first week of release in Japan, Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold 524,000 copies, and the PlayStation 3 version was the highest-selling game for the system."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII-2)

Since 13, they've only released FFXIV on the PC, which I agree did not have a good start. However 2.0 is becoming a highly anticipated game, especially with the announcement of game-play footage being shown at GamesCom this year (http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/30/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-gameplay-will-be-revealed-at-gamescom/)

I'd be interested to see some of your sources that state Final Fantasy has received no praise as of late :)


The only FF title Famitsu hasn't reviewed is FF14, because there weren't even enough functional mechanics present to lob their usual softball of a review for SE. It's widely known that Famitsu basically always gives FF games a great score, regardless of quality... until the one time the game was so bad, the only thing they could do is simply not review it.



Fair enough, I'll assume that in this case Famitsu is an un-reliable source. However in that same source that quoted Famitsu you'll find the following comments, with their respective links to sources:

"In March 2010, Square Enix stated that Final Fantasy XIII was the fastest-selling title in the franchise's history."

"The game was voted as the second best game of 2009 in Dengeki Online's reader poll..."

"Universal praise was given to the technical milestones achieved by the game's graphics and presentation. Edge felt that Cocoon in particular was an "inspired setting [...] blessed with a vibrancy and vivid colour that often leaves you open-mouthed""

"GameSpot called the art design "magnificent".[102]"

"The battle system of Final Fantasy XIII received widespread praise. The increased pace of battles was appreciated, with several reviews describing it as "thrilling";[10][98] "

In a few of those quotes, the word "praise" was specifically used. I'd still like to see your sources.

P.S. I am not disagreeing with you that FFXIV was a poor game.


Edited, Aug 8th 2012 5:32pm by Tychondrias

Edited, Aug 8th 2012 5:33pm by Tychondrias
#154 Aug 08 2012 at 5:19 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,148 posts
Tychondrias wrote:
I'd be interested to see some of your sources that state Final Fantasy has received no praise as of late.


Show me 'Game of the Year', ****... show me RPG of the year at least. I could link tons of sources that say XIII and XIII-2 are crap. Since you're pretty comfortable searching wiki I'd assume you can find them yourself.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#155 Aug 08 2012 at 7:48 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
I really really don't get you guys, we all admit the game was poor/crap at launch, SE was working hard to improve v1.0 while making a new ffxiv2.0 (thing that most of us knew that was the only solution and others just thought that a few fixes will be enough) but now we finally got a promise that the game will "reborn" but you guys just don't have faith, you guys want it to fail again, it is obvious.

I as many others tried, didn't like it and finally quit the game after two months but now I am back to game since last 3 weeks and I am having fun, I will like to see alot more content and improvements in v2.0, if 2.0 fails well I will have to do the same and quit the genre but no, for no reason, i will kill the game (v2.0) before launch.

It's obious that ffxiv wont and never will beat others mmo's in population and not for the poor/crap v1.0 we got, it is cuz "it's a ff ************ while rpg-players love ff games, most of them hate the idea of a ff-online game, I noticed it while surfing in finalfantasydreamers forums years ago, they seem to think that ffxi has a poor storyline thing we know is not true, and many others things that kill the ff feel. And others mmo-players just want a WoW style game and jump to any other new game again again. So there wont be millions of players in ffxiv for years, even if it is a good game or not. Well, there will be a lot of japanese players we know that that is their main market.

So will v2.0 succed? it depends on what do you like, for me ffxi was a pretty good game for at least 9 years after I quit for work and family. But if you compare it to WoW its a un-succed game. Well if you compare any moderm mmo vs WoW all failed not matter what they improve or copy pasta, if you only care about numbers. I want a good ff-online game, hope v2.0 has what I want, if so, it's succed to me.
#156 Aug 08 2012 at 8:12 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Tychondrias wrote:
Ostia wrote:
^^^ They have not been "The end all be all" of RPGS for close to a decade.... Also what in your own opinion dictates that FFXIV will be one of the better MMOS out there, since right now they are behind everybody in terms of development, money, subs, and gamplay mechanics.

Just asking maybe you see things from a different perspective.


As to your first comment "They have not been 'The end all be all' of RPGS for close to a decade...", I'd like to point you to a couple of sources that prove you wrong:
1. http://www.listal.com/list/greatest-rpgs-all-time
The top three games? Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy 4; All Square Enix/Square Soft titles.

2. http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-greatest-games-of-all-time-final-fantasy-ii-6132899/
Gamespot listed FF2, as well as several other Square Enix/final fantasy titles on their "Greatest Games of All Time" list

3. http://www.joystickdivision.com/2010/08/the_top_ten_rpgs_of_all_time.php
Number one? Chrono Trigger. Number three? FF7

4. http://www.epinions.com/content_3345850500?sb=1
Number one and two, FF7 and FF4, respectively

You see what I did there?

As for your other comments;
I see things from a perspective of "forward thinking". A pessimistic mindset, be it from developers or fans, does not help a franchise. It takes critical feedback to perfect a game, but the last thing SE needs to succeed is more people to bash their mistakes.

From what I've seen in interviews, they are heavily staffed (at 300 plus, with a little bit of outsourcing), that is hardly "behind everybody" in anybody's book. While they've taken a hit from the terrible release of FFXIV initially, this company as a whole is thriving from their other titles and is in NO WAY lacking in money, a fan-base for future subs, or gameplay mechanics (they have many years of experience/experimenting directly with different types of battle mechanics).


You must be either a White knight or a blind fanboy...... Since a decade is 10 Years..... But thanks for listing games from almost 2 decades ago, really helps your argument, when your best counter argument is to go back 2 decades ago in order to defend the current one, wish btw is a joke if you compare the two of them.

Also FFXIII is garbage, i dont care if it sold 6 million copies, i bought it on release, because it was Final ******* Fantasy XIII! Returned it 3 days later, first FF ****** that i have ever returned, the game looked cute, but the gameplay and story where absolute garbage, unless going straight for 40 hours really counts as new and exiting in today's game mechanics, as for XIII-2...... you do know that Tales of Grace outsold it in japan right ? Like the first time a Tales of game outsells a Final Fantasy..... As in "No the end all be all of RPG"

Now if you where cleaver, you would have cited Final Fantasy XII, Sold good, and got a perfect Score :) That is a ****** worthy of "RPG of the year" as far as everything else, name me one RPG ****** from SE that beats Xenoblade or Lost Odyssey.

P.S: If by "You saw what i did there" you mean you looked like an idiot, then yes i saw that, keep it up brah
____________________________
MUTED
#157 Aug 08 2012 at 9:06 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
This topic isn't worth wasting a full length post on. Really.

For all that's SE has failed in, nobody's matched or beaten the legacy Final Fantasy has had on the RPG genre. Every blockbuster game that's come out hasn't been able to repeat its successes nearly as much as Final Fantasy has as a series.

Everyone's hating on SE because 14 flopped and 13 wasn't as good as it could have been. But the truth of the matter is had Dissidia been a main console game and Verses been out by now, people would still be drooling over the franchise and 13 would have just been overlooked, and we'd have a much better outlook for a Realm Reborn.

Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, both Dissidia games - these are where I found SE's quality still strong when it showed a lack of it both in Consoles and in their MMO titles. They still got it, they just need to get their ***** in gear and put it in the right places.
#158 Aug 08 2012 at 9:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, both Dissidia games - these are where I found SE's quality still strong when it showed a lack of it both in Consoles and in their MMO titles. They still got it, they just need to get their ***** in gear and put it in the right places.


This is why I'm expecting a strong showing from Version 2.0. I think the failed launch of FFXIV was a figurative shovel to the face of SE, which seems to have learned that it's no longer invincible in today's saturated market. I'm not expecting FFXIV to bring too many new mechanics to the table in the same way Guild Wars 2 and other games are doing, but I am expecting a solid Final Fantasy title that tells a great story and has fun battles/content to play through.

Accomplish that, and FFXIV will be a success, at least to a niche market.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#159 Aug 08 2012 at 9:28 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, both Dissidia games - these are where I found SE's quality still strong when it showed a lack of it both in Consoles and in their MMO titles. They still got it, they just need to get their ***** in gear and put it in the right places.


This is why I'm expecting a strong showing from Version 2.0. I think the failed launch of FFXIV was a figurative shovel to the face of SE, which seems to have learned that it's no longer invincible in today's saturated market. I'm not expecting FFXIV to bring too many new mechanics to the table in the same way Guild Wars 2 and other games are doing, but I am expecting a solid Final Fantasy title that tells a great story and has fun battles/content to play through.

Accomplish that, and FFXIV will be a success, at least to a niche market.


I can second that.

Being a solid Final Fantasy title is all it needs to be to earn my subscription, and I believe they'll accomplish that much.

Granted, I'll still be playing the crap out of Guild Wars 2, but I don't have to pay a subscription for it, so I can. Otherwise FFXIV would win over that because there's something unique in a Final Fantasy environment I have yet to see any other company or series recapture and reproduce.

I honestly hope Final Fantasy XV goes back to their fantasy genre roots again. In spite of FFVII's successes, I still feel that's where they have the strongest pull.
#160 Aug 09 2012 at 6:21 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
64 posts
Ostia wrote:
Tychondrias wrote:
Ostia wrote:
^^^ They have not been "The end all be all" of RPGS for close to a decade.... Also what in your own opinion dictates that FFXIV will be one of the better MMOS out there, since right now they are behind everybody in terms of development, money, subs, and gamplay mechanics.

Just asking maybe you see things from a different perspective.


As to your first comment "They have not been 'The end all be all' of RPGS for close to a decade...", I'd like to point you to a couple of sources that prove you wrong:
1. http://www.listal.com/list/greatest-rpgs-all-time
The top three games? Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy 4; All Square Enix/Square Soft titles.

2. http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-greatest-games-of-all-time-final-fantasy-ii-6132899/
Gamespot listed FF2, as well as several other Square Enix/final fantasy titles on their "Greatest Games of All Time" list

3. http://www.joystickdivision.com/2010/08/the_top_ten_rpgs_of_all_time.php
Number one? Chrono Trigger. Number three? FF7

4. http://www.epinions.com/content_3345850500?sb=1
Number one and two, FF7 and FF4, respectively

You see what I did there?

As for your other comments;
I see things from a perspective of "forward thinking". A pessimistic mindset, be it from developers or fans, does not help a franchise. It takes critical feedback to perfect a game, but the last thing SE needs to succeed is more people to bash their mistakes.

From what I've seen in interviews, they are heavily staffed (at 300 plus, with a little bit of outsourcing), that is hardly "behind everybody" in anybody's book. While they've taken a hit from the terrible release of FFXIV initially, this company as a whole is thriving from their other titles and is in NO WAY lacking in money, a fan-base for future subs, or gameplay mechanics (they have many years of experience/experimenting directly with different types of battle mechanics).


You must be either a White knight or a blind fanboy...... Since a decade is 10 Years..... But thanks for listing games from almost 2 decades ago, really helps your argument, when your best counter argument is to go back 2 decades ago in order to defend the current one, wish btw is a joke if you compare the two of them.

Also FFXIII is garbage, i dont care if it sold 6 million copies, i bought it on release, because it was Final @#%^ing Fantasy XIII! Returned it 3 days later, first FF ****** that i have ever returned, the game looked cute, but the gameplay and story where absolute garbage, unless going straight for 40 hours really counts as new and exiting in today's game mechanics, as for XIII-2...... you do know that Tales of Grace outsold it in japan right ? Like the first time a Tales of game outsells a Final Fantasy..... As in "No the end all be all of RPG"

Now if you where cleaver, you would have cited Final Fantasy XII, Sold good, and got a perfect Score :) That is a ****** worthy of "RPG of the year" as far as everything else, name me one RPG ****** from SE that beats Xenoblade or Lost Odyssey.

P.S: If by "You saw what i did there" you mean you looked like an idiot, then yes i saw that, keep it up brah


I'll take the title 'White Knight' per your request. If you took the time to read the entire thread, I went on to list SE's more recent titles in the last decade. The first list was to simply set a baseline for how far SE has come, and what makes them a credible RPG developer.

You may think that FFXIII is garbage, but there are many people who'd disagree with you (see my last post that lists credible sources for the reception of FFXIII).


Edited, Aug 9th 2012 8:34am by Tychondrias
#161 Aug 09 2012 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
It too me nearly 9 months to beat FFXIII. Not because it was hard, but because it was boring. Yeah the quick pace and graphics where nice but I couldn't stand to play it more then 30 minutes at a time. Untill XIII, I had beat and played every other FF consul game so fast it would make your head spin. Sales + reviews ≠ fun game
#162 Aug 09 2012 at 9:03 AM Rating: Excellent
I still don't understand how anyone could call Final Fantasy XII a good game and still take themselves seriously! I haven't played XIII yet, but XII was attrocious!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#163 Aug 09 2012 at 9:14 AM Rating: Decent
******
48,711 posts
Thayos wrote:
I still don't understand how anyone could call Final Fantasy XII a good game and still take themselves seriously!
I feel the same way about 7.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#164 Aug 09 2012 at 2:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Thayos wrote:
I still don't understand how anyone could call Final Fantasy XII a good game and still take themselves seriously!
I feel the same way about 7.


I feel the same way about 14.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#165 Aug 09 2012 at 3:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Thayos wrote:
I still don't understand how anyone could call Final Fantasy XII a good game and still take themselves seriously!
I feel the same way about 7.

Totally agree here. I wasn't blow away by 7 like everyone else was... and I wish I had more time to spend with XII because the 10 hours I did play, I enjoyed more than any second of play in X or XIII
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#166 Aug 09 2012 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
43 posts
Tychondrias wrote:

I'll take the title 'White Knight' per your request. If you took the time to read the entire thread, I went on to list SE's more recent titles in the last decade. The first list was to simply set a baseline for how far SE has come, and what makes them a credible RPG developer.

You may think that FFXIII is garbage, but there are many people who'd disagree with you (see my last post that lists credible sources for the reception of FFXIII).


There's a very distinct difference between "Was FFXIII received well?" and "Do people want another FF like FFXIII?"

Can you really say that the majority of people want an FF sequel with:

  • Linear story
  • Corridor dungeons
  • No city/town hubs
  • Toriyama writing
  • Shallow battle system
  • Leona Lewis

It's also very clear that FFXIII-2's development was significantly influenced by players' negative response to FFXIII.

Here's another angle to look from: "Are you convinced that FFXIII, as a final product, was reflective of its 5-year development cycle?"
#167 Aug 09 2012 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I personally didn't care for FFXII either. That was admittedly in part because it played so much like FFXI: Offline (after I had already spent several years growing tired of FFXI), with very little of the FF flavor, and a lackluster battle system.

As for FFVII, I could see not being impressed with it if you played it well after its original release, but if you played it at its release, I don't know how you couldn't love it. At its time, it offered unparalleled immersion, brilliant combat and progression, and the grittiest narrative of its kind, among other things. It challenged nearly every existing standard of the JRPG.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#168 Aug 09 2012 at 8:33 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Tychondrias wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Tychondrias wrote:
Ostia wrote:
^^^ They have not been "The end all be all" of RPGS for close to a decade.... Also what in your own opinion dictates that FFXIV will be one of the better MMOS out there, since right now they are behind everybody in terms of development, money, subs, and gamplay mechanics.

Just asking maybe you see things from a different perspective.


As to your first comment "They have not been 'The end all be all' of RPGS for close to a decade...", I'd like to point you to a couple of sources that prove you wrong:
1. http://www.listal.com/list/greatest-rpgs-all-time
The top three games? Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy 4; All Square Enix/Square Soft titles.

2. http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-greatest-games-of-all-time-final-fantasy-ii-6132899/
Gamespot listed FF2, as well as several other Square Enix/final fantasy titles on their "Greatest Games of All Time" list

3. http://www.joystickdivision.com/2010/08/the_top_ten_rpgs_of_all_time.php
Number one? Chrono Trigger. Number three? FF7

4. http://www.epinions.com/content_3345850500?sb=1
Number one and two, FF7 and FF4, respectively

You see what I did there?

As for your other comments;
I see things from a perspective of "forward thinking". A pessimistic mindset, be it from developers or fans, does not help a franchise. It takes critical feedback to perfect a game, but the last thing SE needs to succeed is more people to bash their mistakes.

From what I've seen in interviews, they are heavily staffed (at 300 plus, with a little bit of outsourcing), that is hardly "behind everybody" in anybody's book. While they've taken a hit from the terrible release of FFXIV initially, this company as a whole is thriving from their other titles and is in NO WAY lacking in money, a fan-base for future subs, or gameplay mechanics (they have many years of experience/experimenting directly with different types of battle mechanics).


You must be either a White knight or a blind fanboy...... Since a decade is 10 Years..... But thanks for listing games from almost 2 decades ago, really helps your argument, when your best counter argument is to go back 2 decades ago in order to defend the current one, wish btw is a joke if you compare the two of them.

Also FFXIII is garbage, i dont care if it sold 6 million copies, i bought it on release, because it was Final @#%^ing Fantasy XIII! Returned it 3 days later, first FF ****** that i have ever returned, the game looked cute, but the gameplay and story where absolute garbage, unless going straight for 40 hours really counts as new and exiting in today's game mechanics, as for XIII-2...... you do know that Tales of Grace outsold it in japan right ? Like the first time a Tales of game outsells a Final Fantasy..... As in "No the end all be all of RPG"

Now if you where cleaver, you would have cited Final Fantasy XII, Sold good, and got a perfect Score :) That is a ****** worthy of "RPG of the year" as far as everything else, name me one RPG ****** from SE that beats Xenoblade or Lost Odyssey.

P.S: If by "You saw what i did there" you mean you looked like an idiot, then yes i saw that, keep it up brah


I'll take the title 'White Knight' per your request. If you took the time to read the entire thread, I went on to list SE's more recent titles in the last decade. The first list was to simply set a baseline for how far SE has come, and what makes them a credible RPG developer.

You may think that FFXIII is garbage, but there are many people who'd disagree with you (see my last post that lists credible sources for the reception of FFXIII).


Edited, Aug 9th 2012 8:34am by Tychondrias


Nobody is questioning if they are a "Credible" RPG Devloper. I said they are not the top dog anymore, and they are not, simple as that, FXIII does not changes that, yes it is the fastest selling FF ******* also wish you failed to mention, the first one FF ****** to also launch on MULTIPLE CONSOLES! And if it was such a perfect game as the ones before it, why did SE acknowledge the same mistakes that most people hold againts the game ? I tho it was only a very small minority...... Yet they made XIII-2 to redeem the first one in the eyes of such a SMALL MINORITY ? Really ? Come on :)

The game sold on faith and name brand, and it was a letdown, now as far as the mention of the handheld ******** please they did great because they where handheld ******** Birth by sleep cannot compare to it's console counterparts, it is a good game, but no comparison to 1 and 2, as for dissidia..... Yeah Ok! Jajaja!

I will name 2 DS games from the DS and one from the PSP that are 500% times better than anything SE has put out, with the exception of maybe Final Fantasy Type-0

Radiant Historia, Infinite Space and Legend of Heroes: Trails of the Sky!
____________________________
MUTED
#169 Aug 09 2012 at 8:38 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,202 posts
The only 3 Final Fantasys i have really never been impressed or dint care for are X, X-2 and FXIII/2. FVII at release was a good game, yeah it does deserve some of it's praise, but people take it way to far, in my opinion it is a solid game, but not the greatest RPG to have ever touch the PS1, that is reserved for Xenogears, now that game, was such a masterpiece.

Again my opinion, and btw they are both SE ******* so no need to call me a SE hater <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#170 Aug 09 2012 at 9:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
64 posts
Ostia wrote:
The only 3 Final Fantasys i have really never been impressed or dint care for are X, X-2 and FXIII/2. FVII at release was a good game, yeah it does deserve some of it's praise, but people take it way to far, in my opinion it is a solid game, but not the greatest RPG to have ever touch the PS1, that is reserved for Xenogears, now that game, was such a masterpiece.

Again my opinion, and btw they are both SE ******* so no need to call me a SE hater <.<


I can only really comment on 7, and I agree that it probably gets a bit too much attention. I wasnt a big fan of the movie but I thought crisis core was pretty cool. Seeing things from Zachs perspective definitely changed my perception of Cloud.
#171 Aug 09 2012 at 10:50 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Oh i was only talking about FFVII vanilla, the movie was alright, but i kinda dint like how they just brought out sephiroth at the end for a final battle and nothing more, as for Crisis Core, that was an excellent game, and Zack was my favorite character even when i only saw the flash backs in the original, he did look more badass than cloud.
____________________________
MUTED
#172 Aug 10 2012 at 12:04 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Zack wasn't a badass, he was a puppy!

- and a hero.

Crisis Core was an incredible game. And as a story FFVII was really good. I won't hold my heart the way VI does, but they did distopia right.

I don't know where SE accept the fact that they'll actually make money by remaking these classics in high definition. I would donate heavily to a kick-starter that would get FFVI produced with the graphics we're getting for A Realm Reborn.
#173 Aug 10 2012 at 1:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
I don't know where SE accept the fact that they'll actually make money by remaking these classics in high definition. I would donate heavily to a kick-starter that would get FFVI produced with the graphics we're getting for A Realm Reborn.


Pretty much every recent title they have released has been poor, do you really want them to put their hands on a remake of your most beloved titles? Sometimes it's better to leave those awesome games in the past and not try to re-create them, at least with how the company has become anyway.
____________________________
BANNED
#174 Aug 10 2012 at 2:10 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
hexaemeron wrote:

The only FF title Famitsu hasn't reviewed is FF14, because there weren't even enough functional mechanics present to lob their usual softball of a review for SE. It's widely known that Famitsu basically always gives FF games a great score, regardless of quality... until the one time the game was so bad, the only thing they could do is simply not review it.


Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Famitsu not reviewing Final Fantasy XIV has nothing to do with anything you just said. The reason Famitsu didn't review XIV is because of their policy of only reviewing console games. It will get a score when the PS3 version sees release.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#175 Aug 10 2012 at 2:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Famitsu not reviewing Final Fantasy XIV has nothing to do with anything you just said. The reason Famitsu didn't review XIV is because of their policy of only reviewing console games. It will get a score when the PS3 version sees release.


Yeah. And that's right the reason why the game was covered in every single issue since May 2010 until release. And then silently shelved.

Btw.: I distinctly remember that SE explicitly asked reviewers to hold back their reviews "until the first round of bugs has been addressed" or something. Was quite a scandal on 2ch back then.

Edited, Aug 10th 2012 4:38am by Rinsui
#176 Aug 10 2012 at 2:38 AM Rating: Good
***
1,408 posts
Localus wrote:
I really really don't get you guys, we all admit the game was poor/crap at launch, SE was working hard to improve v1.0 while making a new ffxiv2.0 (thing that most of us knew that was the only solution and others just thought that a few fixes will be enough) but now we finally got a promise that the game will "reborn" but you guys just don't have faith, you guys want it to fail again, it is obvious.

And that is it "Faith".

I am among the people who have waited and hoped for all these new fancy games by SE since after 11. Guess what since 12 we have all been disappointed, annoyed, fed up with the state SE has been releasing games. Every game since 12 had major flaws that made people not wanting to re-visit the game the very thing that made SE games popular. The wanting more factor, wanting to play it again and again, explorer more and more of the game.

Does SE deserve this? Well yes. Are they working hard to sort this out, Well yes. People need to have their faith restored, not just simply have it any more. If 2.0 works the way everyone wants it to, to be a great game it should have been then Faith will return. The next bunch of FF games will also help restore the faith (if they are up to the marker). As a long time FF lover I want SE to release great games like we all do but my faith has been severely tarnished by SE. And complaining about those like me isnt the way to go. Problem with XIV is not just XIV, but SE in general.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#177 Aug 10 2012 at 3:00 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Famitsu not reviewing Final Fantasy XIV has nothing to do with anything you just said. The reason Famitsu didn't review XIV is because of their policy of only reviewing console games. It will get a score when the PS3 version sees release.


Yeah. And that's right the reason why the game was covered in every single issue since May 2010 until release. And then silently shelved.

Btw.: I distinctly remember that SE explicitly asked reviewers to hold back their reviews "until the first round of bugs has been addressed" or something. Was quite a scandal on 2ch back then.


All of what you have said is true. But that doesn't change the fact that Famitsu doesn't score PC games.

Who knows, there may have been an inside conspiracy theory to delay the PS3 release for that reason. But that's my speculation.

Edited, Aug 10th 2012 2:01am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#178 Aug 10 2012 at 3:52 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
117 posts
Thayos wrote:
I still don't understand how anyone could call Final Fantasy XII a good game and still take themselves seriously! I haven't played XIII yet, but XII was attrocious!


XII was awesome. Everything in XII I enjoyed including the story. It wasn't your typical FF flair in terms of story telling but it was a well told story and awesome cast (who cares about Vaan he doesn't count and neither does Penelope really). In terms of gameplay I think its hands down the best in the series. You know for someone who looks like they enjoy MMOs I can't understand how you wouldn't like XII considering it was pretty much a smaller version of FFXI (and XIV). But I take myself seriously and I enjoyed XII so there ya go ;).
#179 Aug 10 2012 at 6:24 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
preludes wrote:
Quote:
I don't know where SE accept the fact that they'll actually make money by remaking these classics in high definition. I would donate heavily to a kick-starter that would get FFVI produced with the graphics we're getting for A Realm Reborn.


Pretty much every recent title they have released has been poor, do you really want them to put their hands on a remake of your most beloved titles? Sometimes it's better to leave those awesome games in the past and not try to re-create them, at least with how the company has become anyway.



They made pretty much every PSP title they created right - including the remakes. So yes, I want them to remake these games.

FFXIII wasn't bad because of it's production value, it was bad because of design decisions. They could straight port the mechanics of the classics over to a higher graphical quality game and they'd still be successful even in today's action based games. Lost Odyssey proved that.

This attitude of "SE can't do anything right" is hogwash, it really is. Why are you guys even on these boards if you believe that? You're either trolling or begging to eat crow, thinking that if you spew hatred at them somehow it'll result in a better product. Black Knighting, as it were.

That said, yes, even with their blunders, I want them to redo the games. You act like ******** up this generation of sequels was something unique to Square Enix, but let's take a moment to remember:

Metroid: Other M
Ninja Gaiden III
Mass Effect 3's ending
Dragon Age II
Deus Ex: HR
SW:TOR

Shall I go on?

It isn't just SE that's suffering from flops from established franchises. Not sure why, but once really good companies are dropping the ball everywhere.
#180 Aug 10 2012 at 6:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
64 posts
kyara10 wrote:
Thayos wrote:
I still don't understand how anyone could call Final Fantasy XII a good game and still take themselves seriously! I haven't played XIII yet, but XII was attrocious!


XII was awesome. Everything in XII I enjoyed including the story. It wasn't your typical FF flair in terms of story telling but it was a well told story and awesome cast (who cares about Vaan he doesn't count and neither does Penelope really). In terms of gameplay I think its hands down the best in the series. You know for someone who looks like they enjoy MMOs I can't understand how you wouldn't like XII considering it was pretty much a smaller version of FFXI (and XIV). But I take myself seriously and I enjoyed XII so there ya go ;).


I should go back and play XII, at the time of it's release I bought it and played a few hours before putting it down permanently. It wasn't that I didn't like it, I think I was just expecting something different.

I give SE a lot of credit for trying new things. It seems that they are constantly experimenting with their gameplay mechanics. Will be interesting to see how FFXIV 2.0 turns out :D
#181 Aug 10 2012 at 9:40 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,148 posts
Hyrist wrote:
This attitude of "SE can't do anything right" is hogwash, it really is. Why are you guys even on these boards if you believe that? You're either trolling or begging to eat crow, thinking that if you spew hatred at them somehow it'll result in a better product.


The quote should be amended to "SE hasn't done much right in quite some time". I agree that complaints and criticism don't make a product better directly, but they do let companies know when something is wrong and/or needs to be changed. No denying that.

I agree that there seems to be a phenomenon lately of companies turning out poor product, but that doesn't exempt SE or the FF franchise from backlash or criticism. "Oh look, AoC just jumped off a bridge. That looks fun..."
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#182 Aug 10 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
The companies do seem to act like lemmings to the fall though. You could add Diablo III to that mix even though they're patching it.

The problem is, we can't really point at one uniting flaw here. For Bioware and Square Enix, they're both 'trying something new' and fail to realize that doing so scraps the demands of their fans and often leaves them with a sub-standard product. This is usually done in the effort of appealing to more people, let failing both that, and their main fans.

Diablo III's always online wreaks of the DRM issues from many other games - but it shares the same issues with Bioware in the "This is your endgame?" Department.

Nintendo/Team Nina for Another M and NG III... that was plain ignoring the fans. They wanted Samus strong, they wanted a hard Ninja Gaiden... these things were easy to maintain, yet they botched both.

The issues with Final Fantasy XIII/2 and FFXIV are two completely differing problems.

FFXIV was just a plain broken product, it lacked any of the quality that made Final Fantasy a polished product.

FFXIII was just a bad premise (Even though I love some of the characters.) Too much into narrow storytelling and not enough free roam development. They tried to replicate X's success with a different story and failed.

I just feel as if these companies should reach back to their roots for a while - reassess what made them great and approach that as a priority instead of going for the larger prize at the sacrifice of their base.

Granted, FFXIV is kind of unique in the situation that it needs to do both - just to function properly in a saturated MMO market.

But I don't think it's worth singeing out any one of these companies as being particularly bad. (Again, Square Enix's portable titles have been spot on with the one marring of Third Birthday.)
#183 Aug 10 2012 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
****
4,148 posts
Hyrist wrote:
But I don't think it's worth singeing out any one of these companies as being particularly bad. (Again, Square Enix's portable titles have been spot on with the one marring of Third Birthday.)


There are only two reasons SE gets singled out here:

The first and most obvious is that this is a forum for an SE game. You'd find the same chatter if you were to visit the forums of any other game for their respective company.

The second is that people use other companies shortcomings to portray SE in a better light. Occasionally a comparison is drawn between games to show what SE woulda coulda shoulda done, but for the most part it's "Yeah, well SWTOR is F2P now so Bioware failed too. SE and XIV isn't so bad off" type justification.

Hyrist wrote:
I just feel as if these companies should reach back to their roots for a while - reassess what made them great and approach that as a priority instead of going for the larger prize at the sacrifice of their base.


Somehow I have earned your prestigious 'Black Knight' tag for suggesting the exact same thing. The only difference is that I think SE should reassess what made them fail at being great. Their current approach of 'moar liek WoW' is pretty much a sure sign that it'll be a long time before they try to stray from the path again, which is exactly what the genre needs.

They have to show that they can implement a system that can adapt easily and they have to show that they are able to identify, correct and learn from their mistakes.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#184 Aug 10 2012 at 12:14 PM Rating: Excellent
**
923 posts
Thayos wrote:
I still don't understand how anyone could call Final Fantasy XII a good game and still take themselves seriously! I haven't played XIII yet, but XII was attrocious!



Boooooooo! Boooo with a megaphone!

Edited, Aug 10th 2012 2:15pm by samosamo
#185 Aug 10 2012 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
64 posts
Hyrist wrote:

...
I just feel as if these companies should reach back to their roots for a while - reassess what made them great and approach that as a priority instead of going for the larger prize at the sacrifice of their base.
...


If that means SE making games with more open world content (like skyrim and fallout), then that sounds good to me!
#186 Aug 10 2012 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:


There are only two reasons SE gets singled out here:

The first and most obvious is that this is a forum for an SE game. You'd find the same chatter if you were to visit the forums of any other game for their respective company.


Five minutes outside of these forums will prove otherwise, SE gets tons of scrutiny for their work. Granted, Bioware distracted the issue for a while there, earning EA the worst company title due to pure kneejerk hatred of Mass Effect 3 Endings and their issues with SWTOR and Dragon age II. However the general concencus is still "Square Enix sucks and they're a shadow of what they once were." Regardless of what board you bring up the subject is.


Quote:
The second is that people use other companies shortcomings to portray SE in a better light. Occasionally a comparison is drawn between games to show what SE woulda coulda shoulda done, but for the most part it's "Yeah, well SWTOR is F2P now so Bioware failed too. SE and XIV isn't so bad off" type justification.


You're lumping two claims together when you shouldent.

1. That SE isn't that bad off: It's true. 100 million copies of games under their belt. A 25 year running tradition. Yes, they are on the decline, but when the other companies are referenced, it is to be kept in mind that these other companies haven't even been around as long as SE has for their work to grow stale, and yet they are fumbling again and again.

For Square Enix, this is a slump for them, one of many they have taken and can easily rise above again. Less "Square Enix is going to close shop." More "Hurry up and release Verses already." Compared to "If Bioware doesn't hit Dragon Age III out of the park, they're a dead brand." - being the tone of the day on BSN. That's the comparison people are trying to draw. SE is one of the companies that can survive the trend of bad games being released of late. Not that they don't need to improve.

The second is "FFXIV isn't so bad off." Where, I'd disagree with that.
FFXIV is in bad straights, there's no denying that. Even with all the improvements they made in the game nothing short of a successful reboot via A Realm Reborn will ever pull it out of the red. The difference that stems confidence in this regard is SE's dedication.

FFXIV should have been a dead project - by every precedent and standard to MMOs we've established in our history. Yet- here we are, anxiously awaiting gameplay for their reboot. This speaks of dedication we don't see often at all in other companies, and speaks of the type of change we've wanted to see from the companies. We might disagree with their methods, but we haven't seen the product yet, and that will make all the difference in the world. In this case, the ends will justify the means. If sucking up to Blizzard for some pointers has us coming out with a better game? Nobody will care - and people will likely overlook it.

Though if it flops again, people will scream "See, that's what they get for copying WoW!" So they're really in a catch 22 in that circumstance.

Quote:
Somehow I have earned your prestigious 'Black Knight' tag for suggesting the exact same thing. The only difference is that I think SE should reassess what made them fail at being great. Their current approach of 'moar liek WoW' is pretty much a sure sign that it'll be a long time before they try to stray from the path again, which is exactly what the genre needs.

They have to show that they can implement a system that can adapt easily and they have to show that they are able to identify, correct and learn from their mistakes.


What this should teach you is the importance of tone in your critique. My criticisms of SE outside these boards often far easier to swallow regardless of which side of the debate I take, because I take a more neutral approach. Granted, I don't have much respect for these boards therefore I'm far less careful with my words, and perhaps that should change. But I continue to be exasperated over several issues both in terms of moderation and development.

I find the concept of 'moar liek WoW' to often be one of those knee-jerk reactions players have focused on, rather than analyze correctly. It's pretty easy to see that many of the basic functions WoW implements are successful - UI interface, Auction System, Guild Tools. These things could very well be the inspirations Yoshida was looking over. However, the first thing players thing about is gameplay and questing.

This is also done in neglect of the priorities clearly listed by Yoshida as far as MMO < RPG < Final Fantasy, which, the higher you go up the priorities, the further and further from 'liek WoW' you get.

So while it will be a challenge for Yoshida to prove these knee-jerk fears wrong, considering this game has failed once already, I don't portray it in such a doomed light. I merely as what they are- hurtles to overcome. Nothing so far in my experience of quests and storyline has indicated that this will be a takeover of atmosphere by World of Warcraft conventions. Rather, that they are taking a proper nod at the most successful MMO in history, and discussing with them the trends they observe in the market.

Hopefully they come to similar conclusions ArenaNet did, but I don't hold out that high of an expectation. We'll see. Personally I won't mind a more traditional MMO provided there are enough unique mechanics around it to keep it interesting - and of course if they can reclaim that Final Fantasy magic they have lost for many in FFXIII.

That's a high enough bar to set for now. Later on, I might push hard for them to adapt a system similar to Live-Quests.
#187 Aug 10 2012 at 4:16 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Hyrist... It is extremely hard to botch a re-release of a ****** that originally was good, most of SE psp games have been ports of their older ******** with upgraded graphics, now if you look at their original ******** they have been lackluster, the third birthday is horrible, dissidia is more of a fan service type of game, and for what it was, it was ok, nothing ground breaking as it should have been, in my opinion dissidia should have been for the PS3 with FXIII graphics and a better gameplay, that would have raised eyebrows everywhere, missed chance there SE! the only real ****** that got a major overhaul and very little graphic update was Ogre battle tactics, wish btw if you are a SE fan, you should play, is better than FFT, just not as pretty.

I am not a SE hater, i have every single ****** that they have released state side, and i have played all their games, and the only real ****** that has impressed me is Final Fantasy Type-0. That game is beyond everything that SE has released in the past decade, with perhaps the exception of KH2 or XII(Yes i like XII).

____________________________
MUTED
#188 Aug 10 2012 at 5:05 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Ostia wrote:
Hyrist... It is extremely hard to botch a re-release of a ****** that originally was good, most of SE psp games have been ports of their older ******** with upgraded graphics, now if you look at their original ******** they have been lackluster, the third birthday is horrible, dissidia is more of a fan service type of game, and for what it was, it was ok, nothing ground breaking as it should have been, in my opinion dissidia should have been for the PS3 with FXIII graphics and a better gameplay, that would have raised eyebrows everywhere, missed chance there SE! the only real ****** that got a major overhaul and very little graphic update was Ogre battle tactics, wish btw if you are a SE fan, you should play, is better than FFT, just not as pretty.

I am not a SE hater, i have every single ****** that they have released state side, and i have played all their games, and the only real ****** that has impressed me is Final Fantasy Type-0. That game is beyond everything that SE has released in the past decade, with perhaps the exception of KH2 or XII(Yes i like XII).



You're speaking personal prefrence, and that's fine.

However, Dissidia, ,Duodecem, Birth by Sleep, Crisis Core - you say none of these titles impress you, yet reviews and yet reviews and sales disagree with you. Many would argue they were reasons to get a PSP.

Third birthday? Let's not go there, I wish they never took Parasite Eve in that direction, horrible.

Your opinion that Dissidia should be a PS3 title. I agree. But there's still that possibility. For what they had Duodciem pushed PSP to its limits in terms of disk usage and I applaud that. That game made me love Lightining more than FFXIII did.

But you weren't impressed by Crisis core? How come?
#189 Aug 10 2012 at 5:17 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,148 posts
Hyrist wrote:
Five minutes outside of these forums will prove otherwise, SE gets tons of scrutiny for their work. Granted, Bioware distracted the issue for a while there, earning EA the worst company title due to pure kneejerk hatred of Mass Effect 3 Endings and their issues with SWTOR and Dragon age II. However the general concencus is still "Square Enix sucks and they're a shadow of what they once were."


I think you missed my point. People will ***** about SWTOR in those forums. People ***** about D3 in those forums. Every game gets singled out in their respective forum which is why you see SE getting it here. I only visit forums for games I play, but I have yet to see anyone use SE or XIV as an example. GW2 has that honor.

Hyrist wrote:
You're lumping two claims together when you shouldent.


It's not my claim Hyrist, just the idea most people have when trying to use other games as an example to defend SE. People try to soften XIV's low population by pointing out that SWTOR lost hundreds of thousands of subs in a few months. People try to use the fact that FF is decades old, but overlook the fact that they shouldn't be falling on their face for the same reason.

Hyrist wrote:
It's pretty easy to see that many of the basic functions WoW implements are successful - UI interface, Auction System, Guild Tools. These things could very well be the inspirations Yoshida was looking over. However, the first thing players thing about is gameplay and questing.


UI, control scheme, functional auction system, social interface... all of that is tied to gameplay. If a game doesn't feel comfortable to play, people will just point out that an otherwise deep story/quest mechanic is mucked up by sloppy presentation. It's possible that people would overlook certain things, but given that guildleve system is even more generic than what you have in WoW, it's doubtful.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#190 Aug 10 2012 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Damm! I knew i forgot Crisis Core!! WHY GOD WHY!!!

Actually the only reason i got a PSP, was Final Fantasy Tactics: The war of the Lions, and Crisis Core :/

Yes i was impressed with Crisis Core, graphics and storyline was great, in my opinion it was better executed than the original game, as far as story goes, brought a lot of fleshing out to the VII universe, as far as solider's and shinra is concerned. For the other ******** Meh! Birth by sleep was good, but it was nothing impressive, once you play one character you pretty much played the game, the other ones, just fill in a bit here and there, i was expecting a bit more, for the type of hype the game was getting.
____________________________
MUTED
#191 Aug 10 2012 at 5:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
334 posts
Ostia wrote:
...[i] ********** that originally was good, ... their older [i]************ with upgraded graphics, ... original [i]************ they have been lackluster, ... real[i] ********** that got a major overhaul and very little graphic update ... just not as pretty.

... i have every single [i]********** ... the only real [i]********** that has impressed me...



I'm sorry, but please for the love of God... I think you mean title. ******* is far too close to ******* for me to read any of your posts and not burst out laughing at the unintentional humor, thereby missing your point entirely...
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#192 Aug 10 2012 at 5:56 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Meh! English is not my main tongue :/
____________________________
MUTED
#193 Aug 10 2012 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
334 posts
I'm sorry. I certainly don't mean to nitpick, it's just the word that your misspelling most closely resembles... well, google it and you'll get the point Smiley: lol
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#194 Aug 10 2012 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
64 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
I'm sorry. I certainly don't mean to nitpick, it's just the word that your misspelling most closely resembles... well, google it and you'll get the point Smiley: lol


Any SNL fans?

Connery: "I'll take famous ******* for 400"
Alex: "That's, TITLES Mr. Connery... NOT **************
#195 Aug 10 2012 at 6:53 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Ah no problem, i do know is title or titles, is just kinda hard to spell correctly some times XD!
____________________________
MUTED
#196 Aug 10 2012 at 8:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:


UI, control scheme, functional auction system, social interface... all of that is tied to gameplay. If a game doesn't feel comfortable to play, people will just point out that an otherwise deep story/quest mechanic is mucked up by sloppy presentation. It's possible that people would overlook certain things, but given that guildleve system is even more generic than what you have in WoW, it's doubtful.


Did you misunderstand me?

There's no conflict here. You must mirrored what I said. The point of the matter is, it could very well be these basic things that Yoshida went to Blizzard to nail down, cause face it, as aged as those mechanics are in WoW, they're still optimal, and they're not going to destroy FFXIV if the game uses something similar to those.

As far as your complaint about Guildleves. Leves =| Quests. Like mob grinding, Leves will still be in the game, but not be the most efficient. You call them generic, but in comparison to their predecessor, Fields/Ground of Valor, they're far more entertaining to me personally. They're effectively mini-games using normal game mechanics.

The quests in FFXIV are like they were in FFXI, honestly. Some of them are really good, others less so. But when you hear that FFXIV is going to be quest based, the direct correlation should be FFXI's quests yielding decent rewards, not suddenly we're playing WoW. As you said before, we've got Guildleves for the grindy-quests. They're not the same thing, and Yoshida knows it.
#197 Aug 10 2012 at 8:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Personally I loved Crisis Core and Dissidia. Actually, in my opinion the best console for JRPGs in the last ten years has been the PSP. And yeah, it looks bad for SE when their best games go portable instead of console.

As for a FFVII remake, I honestly would rather they try, and on the off chance they ruin it, they'll either be able to patch it (as games do nowadays) or worst case scenario, at least they tried. But as Hyrist said, I think porting all the original features with better graphics if a fail-safe recipe for success. I'd also like to see it for VI, Xenogears, FFT, and Tactics Ogre. Frankly I was a bit disappointed that their approach to updating the graphics on the earlier titles was the re-envisioned sprites for the DS.

As for XII, I'd like to think it's a game I'll enjoy sometime decades from now, when I long for the nostalgia of FFXI, but there are no servers.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#198 Aug 10 2012 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,148 posts
Hyrist wrote:
Did you misunderstand me?


Pretty certain I did unless you meant something other than you said. You used the word however which implied that what followed differed from what came prior.

Hyrist wrote:
As far as your complaint about Guildleves. Leves =| Quests.


Why then are they also called levequests? You say potato I say potato... well, that doesn't quite work as intended using text.

Anyhow, I was just pointing out that they're all generic and ask you to do the same repetitive stuff, whatever it may be, just like grinding does. The only thing I attribute 'like WoW' to as far as future design will be the UI, controls ect. The stuff in WoW that was 'like XI' will almost certainly stay the same for the reason I mentioned before; the one about fearing backlash for trying to be innovative.


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#199 Aug 10 2012 at 8:45 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
They did FFT and Tactics Ogre already. They dint fully revamp them, but the overhaul was good enough, atleast for Ogre it was.

And please i would rather they remake FVII(Wish in my opinion is way overrated) than for them to touch my xenogears. Please no the xeno team does not work in SE anymore, they will ruin that game <.< and it was SE in the first place who ruined the second CD of that game :/

Edited, Aug 10th 2012 10:46pm by Ostia
____________________________
MUTED
#200 Aug 10 2012 at 8:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
For the PSP... we're talking about remaking them for a console with today's graphics. And for that matter, while I quite like the artistic style of Xenogears and would want them to more or less keep it, I wouldn't mind if they worked with the original team to fix that rushed ending.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#201 Aug 10 2012 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:


Why then are they also called levequests? You say potato I say potato... well, that doesn't quite work as intended using text.


The name 'levequest' is completely irrelvant to the topic and you know it.

The function of a quest in FFXI and FFXIV are so desperate from levequests that your statement is borderline flame-bait.

For how much you are citing is 'generic' you're doing quite a bit of generalizing yourself. So let's go further -

In battle-leves itself, there are five (Six? I feel like I'm missing one.) categories, which mark out different objectives.
(Diligence, Devotion, Tenacity, Valor, and Veracity all mark different themed sessions. For example, Diligence has you defending a specific point against oncoming attacks. Tenacity has you chasing down an enemy before he triggers an ambush. And Wisdom has you searching specific points for your objective items, which may or may not lead into an ambush. )
This does not take into account Faction Leves which can include other objectives such as escorts, boss fights, etc.

They can almost be compared more to mini-raids than traditional quests.

Traditional MMO grinding quests typically consist of "Gather/Kill X number of Y, return" without anything additional to spice them up. In FFXI, their primary function was usually loot rewards, fame, and lore progression. FFXIV's already shown to be more variant than FFXI in regards to how their quests work, though FFXI still has more depth due to the sheer number of years it's been out.

So I'm trying to figure where these two seem the same to you.

Repetition will make anything seem general - and that's what happened to MMOs as a whole when the market saturated. Leves attempted to take a different approach to it by turning into it's own little game, and while some here are against them, there are others that enjoy them - much like any other form of grinding.

Still too much in the air to make a call on how questing is going to work out on this part. I don't even expect that info to show up at Gamescon, at least not in an understandable form. That'll be Beta concern.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)