Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 TrailerFollow

#1 Jul 26 2012 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
706 posts
Clicky

Lots of CG, but looks interesting, if a little... corny.
____________________________
Server = Remora - Rank 10 Windurstian

Menchi
Tarutaru
75 BLM (Main)
37 WHM
37 RDM
25 SMN (Future Main ^^)
ZM Complete - CoP Complete - Windurst - Complete
LS - Dragonflies
#2 Jul 26 2012 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
I saw some magitek armour get hit by a missile... so here's hoping that if magitek armour makes an appearance it isn't just another WoW-style "mount" made to zoom about and bounce around in.

I quite liked the behemoth at the end, as well, but I think you're right in saying that it is a bit corny overall (maybe it's the narrator's voice?). Certainly, though, it beats a cutscene of several people sitting around a table talking about picking up a repeatable quest, which what we had before. Smiley: lol
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#3 Jul 26 2012 at 10:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Saw what looked like one of the Judges from FFXII for a second there.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#4 Jul 26 2012 at 11:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
That VO was pretty bad. That's what made it corny.

But the rest. I approve.
____________________________


#5 Jul 26 2012 at 11:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,704 posts
Wint wrote:
Saw what looked like one of the Judges from FFXII for a second there.


Yeah..Black Wolf.

Also 'WoW style Mount" is most likely given the direction of this game.
#6 Jul 26 2012 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
**
832 posts
Wint wrote:
Saw what looked like one of the Judges from FFXII for a second there.

If you are talking about the character seen at 0:53 he's the same one that make's that dramatic appearance near the end of the level 46 main scenerio quest.
____________________________
VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION PONEY!
デーブは、ここではありません。
Urthdigger wrote:
First person view {You can have this.} I'm a galka and wore a subligar all the way to 50. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to enjoy the other party member's screams of agony.

Likibiki wrote:
I wish I could get parties of that standard. Sadly I seem to end up playing with myself all the time.

[ffxisig]81208[/ffxisig]
#7 Jul 26 2012 at 11:18 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
I had to watch it on my phone since my work block youtube lol, so have volume turnedoff... looked really good, but now I really want to hear the corny VO stuff! I am a little sad there was no actual gameplay footage though, it felt more like I was watching a movie trailer.
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#8 Jul 26 2012 at 2:48 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
I'm still just really happy they're still mentioning PS3 :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#9 Jul 26 2012 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
87 posts
Game trailers do not tell me anything about the quality of the game itself. Same goes for stills and artwork btw.

But thanks for the link. It's always nice to see something new! :)
#10 Jul 26 2012 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
**
659 posts
It's just my personal opinion that the voice overs in Final Fantasy really hurt the series in general.

But back to the trailer: Would have liked to have seen some actual gameplay. CGI doesn't really tell me anything important to me about the game.
____________________________
Aggieland -> "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside out, you can't explain it."

Final Fantasy XIV: Neithan Turambar, Cactuar Server
Guild Wars 2: Level 80 Guardian Neithan Turambar Jade Quarry Server
WoW: Lvl 85 Shaman Friewyn Black Dragonflight Server (retired)
FFXI: Lvl 75 Dark Knight Neithan (retired many years ago)
LotRO: Lvl 30 Maethros (retired)
#11 Jul 26 2012 at 6:23 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Zero gameplay? Natch.
____________________________
#12 Jul 26 2012 at 6:23 PM Rating: Good
Ya, voice over can be great when done properly, MGS, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc, then again...it can be painful too. The trailer is nice, but like everyone said prior to E3, "Even if they release a trailer, it's all going to be CGI and reveal nothing about gameplay!". All this stuff is nice, the main thing I'm looking forward to though is LS management and that's it. The amount of shells I've been in that have crumpled due to a lack of LS functions is ridiculous making "welcome back" sessions near impossible to enjoy at this point.
____________________________

#13 Jul 26 2012 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I saw the trailer and was hoping there would be some information about gameplay changes. I'm hoping there's an actual redesign here, rather than some flash and smoke marketing. The trailer looks awesome, but as has been noted, nothing about gameplay, which was always the main weakness of the game (among many others, of course). Considering they're tapping the China market as a component of the fiscal viability of a reboot, I'm not optimistic. The game would probably do well in China even with shoddy gameplay by NA standards, which doesn't give them much incentive to shoot for something more than mediocre in the gameplay department. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#14 Jul 26 2012 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
I have to echo some of you, was hoping for gameplay, voice over is a bit cringeworthy. CGI looks great as expected though.
#15 Jul 26 2012 at 9:10 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,313 posts
ScorpionEx wrote:


Lots of CG... corny.




Edited, Jul 26th 2012 11:14pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#16 Jul 26 2012 at 9:14 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Seems like the scrub that wrote FFXIII got a hold of FFXIV script and inserted some random garbage...... I would love to see how out of the blue, at the pinnacle of the story line, they just randomly inserted "TIME MAGIK! BABEH! WE SAVED!" and lets all just move On.

I would have rather they had an epic scenario with an event where we fight the empire's full force and just get beat down and have to retreat and live in shame for X numbers of years, go into hiding, rebuild and finally redeeming ourselves at a later time. They could have expanded the lore of some characters in the time between when we got beat and now, some character design changes, etc etc. Instead now everybody is intact X amount of time in the future.....
____________________________
MUTED
#17 Jul 26 2012 at 10:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
I saw some magitek armour get hit by a missile... so here's hoping that if magitek armour makes an appearance it isn't just another WoW-style "mount" made to zoom about and bounce around in.

I quite liked the behemoth at the end, as well, but I think you're right in saying that it is a bit corny overall (maybe it's the narrator's voice?). Certainly, though, it beats a cutscene of several people sitting around a table talking about picking up a repeatable quest, which what we had before. Smiley: lol


What do you mean? We have been fighting these Magitek for months already, and the ones deep in Castrum Novum are on the Primal/Stronghold boss level.
____________________________




#18 Jul 26 2012 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Khornette wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
I saw some magitek armour get hit by a missile... so here's hoping that if magitek armour makes an appearance it isn't just another WoW-style "mount" made to zoom about and bounce around in.

I quite liked the behemoth at the end, as well, but I think you're right in saying that it is a bit corny overall (maybe it's the narrator's voice?). Certainly, though, it beats a cutscene of several people sitting around a table talking about picking up a repeatable quest, which what we had before. Smiley: lol


What do you mean? We have been fighting these Magitek for months already, and the ones deep in Castrum Novum are on the Primal/Stronghold boss level.


i don't think the person you're responding to plays the game. lol.

really well done trailer. Of course there's no gameplay in it, some people are posting reactions as if its their first mmo trailer ever.

the voice is borderline over the top, but isn't that sort of par for the course over there?

behemoth in snowy zone with crystal tower in background was a neat little ending.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#19 Jul 26 2012 at 11:33 PM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Llester wrote:
[
really well done trailer. Of course there's no gameplay in it, some people are posting reactions as if its their first mmo trailer ever.


They are simply hurt by the fact that they have to wait as long as perhaps two weeks to see their precious gameplay.

I hope there is very little narration in the real game.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#20 Jul 26 2012 at 11:37 PM Rating: Good
****
4,145 posts
While I do agree that the VO is lol, the trailer looks amazing. I would be really excited, except I already know SE does a good job with CG. I'm almost certain that we won't actually get to see a functional, optimized graphics engine or a fast and functional UI until beta. Unfortunate that I can't get excited about XIV until then.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#21 Jul 27 2012 at 12:44 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
The trailer was nice, always cool to get some new info, can't wait to see more! Mostly though they made me want to just finish the gc quests that are in the game now. I am on United we stand and I sort of hope they give us soloable versions of the later quests just we can all experience it before it is gone forever.. a little worried it requires too much people and that I am not good enough which would be sad.
#22 Jul 27 2012 at 2:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Seems like the scrub that wrote FFXIII got a hold of FFXIV script and inserted some random garbage

Yep. And calling the voiceover "corny" is still putting it in very kind words.
In hindsight I`m almost sure he said something about "Luke... chrrrr... I AM YOUR FATHER... chrrrr..."
What`s that garbage? The screen just keeps exploding and booming and lighting up. Actually, I counted.
For more than 2/3 of the time, there`s some sort of explosion going on. Looks like a commercial for some
cheap FPS to me. And I bet we STILL won`t get that fancy barrier spell the WHM uses @ 0:16.

In mere moments, countless lifes were lost...
Yet, THE BRAVEST AMONG US were spared...
BOOM BOOOOM!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

Who the @#%^ cares about old-school storytelling anyway, when there`s so much shiny boom on screen!
The old trailer promised too much, but at least it was more original than this random generic BOOMBOOM.

Edit:
Wow, I just watched another version without Mr. Cornycorn`s voice ruining the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itDcqzCiIQ&feature=youtu.be
Way better.

Edited, Jul 27th 2012 4:36am by Rinsui
#23 Jul 27 2012 at 3:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
159 posts
It's ok as a flashy quick trailer. They lost me at the voiceover it was horrible, it sucked.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?63993
Ragnarok
Soratachi
#24 Jul 27 2012 at 4:27 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
NeithanTheWronged wrote:
It's just my personal opinion that the voice overs in Final Fantasy really hurt the series in general.

But back to the trailer: Would have liked to have seen some actual gameplay. CGI doesn't really tell me anything important to me about the game.


I want to disagree with this, I really really do, but I can't find an instance where they did a good job of VA overall in a game. The only one that comes close to solid all around is Crisis Core and that's a very limited 'staff' in comparison to mainstream titles. There's one or two good VA in each game but overall the rest of the cast is always completely over the top (FFX/FFX-2/etc.) or the lines are delivered either entirely too stilted or too **** dramatic (FFXII/FFXIII).

I like my RPGs to have VA, don't get me wrong, but Final Fantasy games are definitely up there with WoW in terms of /cringe factor on the voice acting most of the time.
#25 Jul 27 2012 at 4:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Must be because due to the language barrier, they can`t really tell good voice acting from bad one.
Voice acting in itself can be fantastic. Really, really fantastic. The Witcher was a prime example for
VA done impressively well; and the polish company that produced the game sure wasn`t too affluent
in the beginning. Yet they had full voice acting in polish, english, russian, french, german, and spanish.
Here`s an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS9cRl8taTo

Voice acting at it`s best.
#26 Jul 27 2012 at 5:04 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Voice acting at it`s best.


Ba baa baaa... all serious voice acting requires a British accent. Clearly SE has recognized this and it will save XIV.

On a serious note, W2 would have sold bazillionty-leven copies had limey hillbilly completed his dialogue, turned around and run to a river and noodled a fish Smiley: lol

Edited, Jul 27th 2012 7:08am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#27 Jul 27 2012 at 6:49 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
3 posts
Trailer did not really get me to excited, I am just hoping that 2.0 launches and brings back some of the fan-base.
____________________________
[ New to FFXIV - Looking for a solid group to adventure with. ]
#28 Jul 27 2012 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Llester wrote:
[
really well done trailer. Of course there's no gameplay in it, some people are posting reactions as if its their first mmo trailer ever.


They are simply hurt by the fact that they have to wait as long as perhaps two weeks to see their precious gameplay.

I hope there is very little narration in the real game.


Two weeks? Don't be a troll. People have been waiting a lot longer than that for some sense of whether this reborn game will be another stillborn. Doesn't it make anyone nervous that even after all this time, there's not one video of actual gameplay and beta is supposed to start allegedly within 6 weeks?
____________________________
#29 Jul 27 2012 at 10:08 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Llester wrote:
[
really well done trailer. Of course there's no gameplay in it, some people are posting reactions as if its their first mmo trailer ever.


They are simply hurt by the fact that they have to wait as long as perhaps two weeks to see their precious gameplay.

I hope there is very little narration in the real game.


Two weeks? Don't be a troll. People have been waiting a lot longer than that for some sense of whether this reborn game will be another stillborn. Doesn't it make anyone nervous that even after all this time, there's not one video of actual gameplay and beta is supposed to start allegedly within 6 weeks?


Gameplay will be shown within two weeks from now, and marketing started only this week. Their schedule is tight leading to the alpha, I fail to see why that would be worrisome though. They want to show us the product in it's beta-quality state, it's as simple as that.

Yoshida has been open about their plans and progress so far, don't act like we have no sense in regards of what to expect.

____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#30 Jul 27 2012 at 10:11 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Wow, I just watched another version without Mr. Cornycorn`s voice ruining the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itDcqzCiIQ&feature=youtu.be
Way better.


I don't even know what to say... it was like suddenly watching an enchanting trailer; that's actually quite amazing how much difference a change of audio makes. (Especially considering the music wasn't made specifically for the trailer!) I would encourage others to watch it, as well, as it can potentially change one's entire perspective of the video.

Take notice, SE: there are points to be put into subtlety.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#31 Jul 27 2012 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I watched it at work with no speakers.

I think I am glad I did.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#32 Jul 27 2012 at 10:48 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Anyone happen to notice that they're ahead of schedule? Trailer wasn't supposed to come out until August.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#33 Jul 27 2012 at 11:33 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
Yup, the last patch went out a day early (they announced it a week before as coming out on the 26th, then not 3 days later they upped the date to the 25th), and now the website and trailer are posted 2 weeks early (both of which were implied to be released after the 6th).

That should at least quell the fears that the delays in the mid-stream patches where having a negative impact on the schedule.

Now, if they can just solve their optimization issues with the graphics engine (who knows, maybe that was what triggered the recent updates), we will be seeing live gameplay footage.

And, once they get the resources converted over, we should start seeing PS3 screen shots (and who knows maybe even video... but I am not holding my breath on that yet).

Things are winding up pretty quickly. And with the promise of regular updates and pushes of information going forward (and I believe Yoshi said it would be a flood of information, not a trickle), things should get pretty interesting pretty quickly (where's the new bestiary?)
#34 Jul 27 2012 at 12:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Anyone happen to notice that they're ahead of schedule?


Watch SE struggle to deliver 2.0 early and have it be released riddled with bugs and gameplay oversights. ******* it, you guys![/i] Smiley: lol
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#35 Jul 27 2012 at 1:04 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
catwho wrote:
I watched it at work with no speakers.

I think I am glad I did.


ditto.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#36 Jul 27 2012 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Technically the trailer was first promised to appear in E3, but they could not deliver on time and used the "Oh who cares about E3 card" and they released it now, so by all accounts they where still late :/ Beta is literally around the corner, yet we have seen no actual footage of gameplay or anything related to it, just some very well groomed screenshots(The same ones we have seen a billion times at that)

Yup no reason to doubt SE working as intended.
____________________________
MUTED
#37 Jul 28 2012 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
You're all watching the wrong version of the trailer.



Also it was publicized months ago that this trailer would only be CG. The information we're all waiting for is supposed to be coming in over the next couple weeks iirc.

edit: Actually **** this version, that alt-music version above is awesome.

Edited, Jul 28th 2012 2:07pm by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#38 Jul 28 2012 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Llester wrote:
[
really well done trailer. Of course there's no gameplay in it, some people are posting reactions as if its their first mmo trailer ever.


They are simply hurt by the fact that they have to wait as long as perhaps two weeks to see their precious gameplay.

I hope there is very little narration in the real game.


Two weeks? Don't be a troll. People have been waiting a lot longer than that for some sense of whether this reborn game will be another stillborn. Doesn't it make anyone nervous that even after all this time, there's not one video of actual gameplay and beta is supposed to start allegedly within 6 weeks?


Gameplay will be shown within two weeks from now, and marketing started only this week. Their schedule is tight leading to the alpha, I fail to see why that would be worrisome though. They want to show us the product in it's beta-quality state, it's as simple as that.

Yoshida has been open about their plans and progress so far, don't act like we have no sense in regards of what to expect.



Poor strategy then. Most people aren't actively following the progress of the game-- the trailer is supposed to be the hook that gets them interested in it again. If there's nothing for them to look at, and trust in the brand is low, then you've wasted hype on a dead end. The average interested player is certainly not going to have been following updates on their plans... the majority of people who saw this trailer either:
A) Saw no gameplay, /rolleyes @ SE, "Fool me once..."
B) Saw no gameplay, looked for gameplay, found none, /rolleyes @ SE, "Fool me once..."

Almost nobody that SE was hoping to hook knows that gameplay will be shown two weeks from now, and interest is lost each time they put out something that isn't it. They can't afford to treat this as an initial release... people won't be content with slowly revealed tidbits. When you're asking for a second chance, you've got to lay it all on the table. People aren't going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and they're certainly not going to let themselves succumb to any hype or optimism about your product. Leading with flash and no substance is a terrible marketing calculation at best.

Also: I personally have no problem with the VA. It seems pretty consistent with the FF style of VA, which I gather bothers some people. I've always thought of it as appropriately stylized for a high-fantasy presentation, and consistent with the overall aesthetic effect.

Edited, Jul 28th 2012 11:55am by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#39 Jul 28 2012 at 1:33 PM Rating: Default
16 posts
^absolutely everything Kachi said.


You have people defending SE, and although I no longer play, I can see it being warranted. The game has come a very long way from it's original state. The same people need to realize that SE isn't trying to capture their attention. Instead, SE is trying to regain those lost to them, and ensnare newer players as well.

Kachi said it perfectly, 'all cards on the table'. SE needs to get over the dramatics and demonstrate their hard earned work, and reform in a presentable, yet enticing format. If they cannot do this by Gamescon, then I fear their relaunch will not bode too well.

Edited, Jul 28th 2012 3:34pm by Baxtergourme
#40 Jul 28 2012 at 1:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Doesn't it make anyone nervous that even after all this time, there's not one video of actual gameplay and beta is supposed to start allegedly within 6 weeks?


It would make me more nervous if they rushed before they were ready for the Big Reveal. I'd rather wait another year for a great game than scramble into another mediocre launch. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
#41 Jul 28 2012 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Xoie wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Doesn't it make anyone nervous that even after all this time, there's not one video of actual gameplay and beta is supposed to start allegedly within 6 weeks?


It would make me more nervous if they rushed before they were ready for the Big Reveal. I'd rather wait another year for a great game than scramble into another mediocre launch. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.


Well yes, of course, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying show us some in-progress stuff. Show it -exists-. Show it improving. All this withhold withhold withhold stuff is not cutting it.

Edited, Jul 28th 2012 4:29pm by hexaemeron
____________________________
#42 Jul 28 2012 at 5:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
117 posts
Xoie wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Doesn't it make anyone nervous that even after all this time, there's not one video of actual gameplay and beta is supposed to start allegedly within 6 weeks?


It would make me more nervous if they rushed before they were ready for the Big Reveal. I'd rather wait another year for a great game than scramble into another mediocre launch. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.


Fool me once....
#43 Jul 28 2012 at 5:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
117 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Xoie wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Doesn't it make anyone nervous that even after all this time, there's not one video of actual gameplay and beta is supposed to start allegedly within 6 weeks?


It would make me more nervous if they rushed before they were ready for the Big Reveal. I'd rather wait another year for a great game than scramble into another mediocre launch. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.


Well yes, of course, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying show us some in-progress stuff. Show it -exists-. Show it improving. All this withhold withhold withhold stuff is not cutting it.

Edited, Jul 28th 2012 4:29pm by hexaemeron


They want to maximize hype before the game is released, they arent holding anything back they just dont want to show it yet considering the game isnt due out for a bit. Its like when they're trying to hype big movies, they mainly push out trailers for the month before the movie is released so everyone gets really hyped up for it. They arent only advertising for PC now and they arent advertising for the beta, they are advertising for PS3 which is due to release in January or early next year, so they need to have some sense of timing on when to start pushing out information. And ge over it, the trailer was a teaser, just to build up curiosity. I agree it sucked and the VO was terrible but its 1 step.

Edited, Jul 28th 2012 7:16pm by kyara10
#44 Jul 28 2012 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
They want to maximize hype


That's the problem... if they wanted to maximize hype at this point, they should have shown the trailer as well a complete look at all of the changes they were making (or more ideally, have already made and are finalizing). They already HAVE a good trailer for the game--showing another one without having anything to back it up isn't building hype. It's only building the perception that they're good at making trailers, and says nothing of their ability to make a good game, which is what people want to see right now.

The smart thing would have been to hold on to this trailer until they had something promising to put with it. Two weeks from now, the social and media channels that got the trailer out are going to generate less total traffic and marketing effect than the initial trailer release.

I'm a game designer too, and right now we're still working on getting our website up. I'm not wasting my time with a trailer or getting the word out before I actually have something to show people, because that's not going to generate much hype, and what hype it does is going to fall off by the time there is. It's just going to make me seem confident and optimistic about a project that I created. Well, of course I'm optimistic about my game... nearly all developers and designers are. And most games end up being totally mediocre in spite of that.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#45 Jul 29 2012 at 2:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
That trailer was terrible. I expected a good CGI trailer from them at least. That was just embarrassingly bad.

The voice over for this, and the FFXI expansion are awful..it's like the paid someone from the office to do them. It was just fast cuts on mindless action, the original trailer 2 years ago was better in every way lol

This is supposed to be the trailer that steals hype from Gw2 and WoW-MoP? Dragon Age 1 trailer was epic, I bought the game on that trailer alone...this? laughable.

GW2 trailer



Trailer for a new patch on Tera.



This new XIV trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFQXxGUzqM

Which of these made you want to play the game from the trailer itself?

Quote:
And ge over it, the trailer was a teaser, just to build up curiosity. I agree it sucked and the VO was terrible but its 1 step.


Really funny to see history repeating. All the "next step will be better!" from beta days of original launch, it's happening again. Every step is failure and excused.





Edited, Jul 29th 2012 5:25am by preludes

Edited, Jul 29th 2012 5:43am by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#46 Jul 29 2012 at 5:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
That trailer was terrible. All flash no substance.
____________________________


#47 Jul 29 2012 at 8:11 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
preludes wrote:
Which of these made you want to play the game from the trailer itself?


Um... none of them.

What I learned from watching those trailers is that, aside from the actual gameplay shown by GuildWars 2 and Tera, the trailers were all basically the same. Whether treating me to a pan through generic fantasy lands, spouting out some incidental lore and derivative history, or throwing a generous sprinkle of conflict and war stuff as the tones get darker, they are ultimately difficult to distinguish.

Tera even had some shapeless black mass looming in the sky and parting the clouds like the opening of the FFXIV trailer. GuildWars 2 turned me off not from the voice acting, but from the dialogue itself, it being so hackneyed by this point. All GuildWars 2 could manage to open with was a bad fantasy name (Tyria), the mention of dragons (how compelling!) about to rise (as they always seem to be), and the use of the extremely overdone "one hundred years ago" trope.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#48 Jul 29 2012 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
Will the game be like this?
#49 Jul 29 2012 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
One striking difference between 1.0 trailer and 2.0 trailer is the relevant features shown in the trailer.

The 1.0 trailer showed a Hyur with his friends undertaking a leve which teleports them to a battlefield with a marlboro (never happens in-game), and gets whisked away by an imperial magitek drone (never happens in-game) to where he's greeted by dragons and Ifrit and Titan (never happens in-game). The main point is that nothing that's shown in the 1.0 opening CG was ever in the game.

2.0 trailer shows the meteor striking down (happens in-game, **** it's the center story of what's going on), it shows the guy from the primal battle quests (the old guy at 1:00 ish), so apparently he's more important in 2.0 than he is in 1.0 version. At 0:33 you can see a magitek mount, to which was promised to us in the last live letter from the producer, It shows the Hyur from the 1.0 trailer now dressed in Warrior AF garb that is clearly in the game. Shows off Grand Companies (which can be joined), Odin (which was confirmed to be a wandering primal at 2.0 launch), and Gaius Van Baellsar (sp?), who is a main antagonist.

I agree, 2.0 trailer should have shown gameplay but it's **** well more represented than the trash that was the 1.0 trailer.

Edited, Jul 29th 2012 12:01pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#50 Jul 29 2012 at 2:06 PM Rating: Good
24 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
One striking difference between 1.0 trailer and 2.0 trailer is the relevant features shown in the trailer.

The 1.0 trailer showed a Hyur with his friends undertaking a leve which teleports them to a battlefield with a marlboro (never happens in-game), and gets whisked away by an imperial magitek drone (never happens in-game) to where he's greeted by dragons and Ifrit and Titan (never happens in-game). The main point is that nothing that's shown in the 1.0 opening CG was ever in the game.

2.0 trailer shows the meteor striking down (happens in-game, **** it's the center story of what's going on), it shows the guy from the primal battle quests (the old guy at 1:00 ish), so apparently he's more important in 2.0 than he is in 1.0 version. At 0:33 you can see a magitek mount, to which was promised to us in the last live letter from the producer, It shows the Hyur from the 1.0 trailer now dressed in Warrior AF garb that is clearly in the game. Shows off Grand Companies (which can be joined), Odin (which was confirmed to be a wandering primal at 2.0 launch), and Gaius Van Baellsar (sp?), who is a main antagonist.

I agree, 2.0 trailer should have shown gameplay but it's **** well more represented than the trash that was the 1.0 trailer.

Edited, Jul 29th 2012 12:01pm by UltKnightGrover


^ Agreed 100%
#51 Jul 29 2012 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
117 posts
Quote:
Really funny to see history repeating. All the "next step will be better!" from beta days of original launch, it's happening again. Every step is failure and excused


Im not making any excuses for them, the trailer did suck, especially the VO, but it is oly 1 step any way you spin it. We'll see where they're sitting by the end of August and if still they show nothing relevant and fail to hype up the game then it becomes a problem. This said, considering how the facebook page numbers have been zipping up lately, seems like the ****** trailer is building curiosity.

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)