Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV Digital Downloads delisted from...everywhere?Follow

#1 Aug 19 2012 at 9:11 PM Rating: Good
2 posts
I almost bought the game 2 weeks ago but waited to start my new job (responsible choice right?)
I am frantically trying to find a digital download version right now but it appears to have been pulled from EVERYWHERE.
I had a feeling this would happen at some point, but I didn't realize so soon.
I can't find any news or comment on this from Square-Enix though, does anyone know of a reputable site where a code/key/digital download can be purchased still?
#2 Aug 19 2012 at 9:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
463 posts
Bump this.

I have a friend who wants to start playing but cant find a digital download anywhere, even the square site has the 'buy now' button disabled on their ffxiv page because its advertising for a realm reborn.

As the previous poster requested I'm looking for a reputable site to download from, not some torrent site or anything. Any help would be appreciated.
____________________________
Gadhelyn wrote:
This one time at FFXIV camp I tried to get a 3 person party going, but just ended up as a Disciple of the Hand.


#3 Aug 19 2012 at 9:37 PM Rating: Excellent
I think you can buy new copies of the game on Amazon for like $20 still. Might be your best bet. Not a bad idea, either... if you can get a cheap CE, then you get one of the security tokens too.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#4 Aug 19 2012 at 9:37 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
i just found it on zakioo.com
i've never heard of this site, the whois says they are hosted in the US? reviews claim they are reputable, I may be about to sink $15 into it.
***** it, i'm going for it, i'll update in a moment.
EDIT
rageface.jpg
nevermind, zakioo was redirecting to an amazon page which doesn't exist anymore
of course it doesn't T_T

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 11:39pm by OdinGunny
#5 Aug 19 2012 at 9:48 PM Rating: Decent
1 post
I recently purchased a digital copy from Amazon on Aug. 5, but when I visit my recent purchases it now says it is unavailable. Not sure why it has been taken down.
#6 Aug 19 2012 at 9:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
463 posts
$38 for CE on amazon, $20 for regular. The problem im running into at this point is the friend making comments like "jeez is this game so bad that they just dont sell it anymore?"..... the amazon idea is worth saying but if there are any digital downloads available this would still be ideal, at least for my particular situation.
____________________________
Gadhelyn wrote:
This one time at FFXIV camp I tried to get a 3 person party going, but just ended up as a Disciple of the Hand.


#7 Aug 19 2012 at 10:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,914 posts
maybe taking it down in prep for 2.0 launch?
#8 Aug 19 2012 at 10:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
maybe taking it down in prep for 2.0 launch?


Yes, I'm positive this is it. They're just about to take the game offline for a couple of months anyway, and at this point, they'd probably rather have people pay more for the new game than buy up copies of the client for $10 to $20.

I bought a digital copy for my stepdaughter just in time to qualify her for the Legacy monthly rate. Now I'm glad I did!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#9 Aug 20 2012 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
159 posts
I can still buy the DVD edition for 10 euro. But they will soon be gone too.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?63993
Ragnarok
Soratachi
#10 Aug 20 2012 at 2:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
463 posts
Thayos wrote:
They're just about to take the game offline for a couple of months anyway


wait what? the game is going offline in preperation for 2.0? i was under the impression that we would be able to play up untill a realm reborn launch and then just patch into the new version?
____________________________
Gadhelyn wrote:
This one time at FFXIV camp I tried to get a 3 person party going, but just ended up as a Disciple of the Hand.


#11 Aug 20 2012 at 3:00 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Elamille wrote:
Thayos wrote:
They're just about to take the game offline for a couple of months anyway


wait what? the game is going offline in preperation for 2.0? i was under the impression that we would be able to play up untill a realm reborn launch and then just patch into the new version?


All character data needs to be ported over to the new version. That won't happen if everyone is constantly updating their progress.

It's a long process, and not finished in a day.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#12 Aug 20 2012 at 3:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
463 posts
Hyanmen wrote:


All character data needs to be ported over to the new version. That won't happen if everyone is constantly updating their progress.

It's a long process, and not finished in a day.


i know everyone hates the comparisons to it but when a new expansion comes out on games like WoW that completely change the world as we know it (aka cataclysm) it does happen in a day and once you have your updates downloaded the server downtime is measured in hours, not days :x

2.0 is effectively a very big expansion to the current game...
____________________________
Gadhelyn wrote:
This one time at FFXIV camp I tried to get a 3 person party going, but just ended up as a Disciple of the Hand.


#13 Aug 20 2012 at 3:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
172 posts
Elamille wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:


All character data needs to be ported over to the new version. That won't happen if everyone is constantly updating their progress.

It's a long process, and not finished in a day.


i know everyone hates the comparisons to it but when a new expansion comes out on games like WoW that completely change the world as we know it (aka cataclysm) it does happen in a day and once you have your updates downloaded the server downtime is measured in hours, not days :x

2.0 is effectively a very big expansion to the current game...



2.0 is not just an expansion, it is a rebuild. It is not a simple WoW exansion.
____________________________


http://theforsakenlink.com

5040 X 1050 with Matrox Triple Head 2 Go
480 in SLI
I-7 950 OC 3.68 Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 1600
1000w PSU
#14 Aug 20 2012 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
90 posts
River75 wrote:
Elamille wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:


All character data needs to be ported over to the new version. That won't happen if everyone is constantly updating their progress.

It's a long process, and not finished in a day.


i know everyone hates the comparisons to it but when a new expansion comes out on games like WoW that completely change the world as we know it (aka cataclysm) it does happen in a day and once you have your updates downloaded the server downtime is measured in hours, not days :x

2.0 is effectively a very big expansion to the current game...



2.0 is not just an expansion, it is a rebuild. It is not a simple WoW exansion.



Sorry, SE is not going to risk losing the (comparitively) small group of loyalist who stuck with the game this long by taking the server down for "a couple of months" When a game goes from a beta to full launch its at most 2 weeks. Why would this be longer than that?

Edited, Aug 20th 2012 6:44pm by Pontipy
#15 Aug 20 2012 at 5:10 PM Rating: Good
****
4,144 posts
Pontipy wrote:
Sorry, SE is not going to risk losing the (comparitively) small group of loyalist who stuck with the game this long by taking the server down for "a couple of months" When a game goes from a beta to full launch its at most 2 weeks. Why would this be longer than that?

Do you remember what happened the first time they rushed it? Colossal failure.

I don't recall any beta, not that I've been in anyway, taking "at most 2 weeks". FFXIV's was the shortest I had ever participated in at 3 weeks and obviously it wasn't long enough.

Another thing you may not be considering is that the servers for 2.0 will be new. They need to completely port over all of the info from old servers, test it to make sure it works correctly and then launch. It's not like a brand new game where you can just press the reset button after beta testing and go live. Not exactly a logistical nightmare, but things like this take time and more importantly; SE can't afford to **** this up again.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#16 Aug 20 2012 at 5:17 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Elamille wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:


All character data needs to be ported over to the new version. That won't happen if everyone is constantly updating their progress.

It's a long process, and not finished in a day.


i know everyone hates the comparisons to it but when a new expansion comes out on games like WoW that completely change the world as we know it (aka cataclysm) it does happen in a day and once you have your updates downloaded the server downtime is measured in hours, not days :x

2.0 is effectively a very big expansion to the current game...


2.0 is NOT an expansion. It's a whole new client. Different data structures and graphical engine. An expansion is what it states, an expansion to the current game.

It takes time to move all the data from one game to another. There will be a period of time where the game will be down for this transition.

On top of that, we will be throwing the current XIV in the recycle bin, and download the new game from scratch.

Edited, Aug 20th 2012 4:18pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#17 Aug 20 2012 at 10:25 PM Rating: Good
**
287 posts
Ok, I have to ask this, whats the cutoff for the legacy pricing? A few bucks off a month might not sound like much, but that tends to add up on the long run.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.





#18 Aug 20 2012 at 10:35 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
OniElvaan wrote:
Ok, I have to ask this, whats the cutoff for the legacy pricing? A few bucks off a month might not sound like much, but that tends to add up on the long run.


"The Legacy Plan rewards players who subscribe for 90 consecutive days prior to the launch of v2.0."
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Aug 20 2012 at 11:30 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,144 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
OniElvaan wrote:
Ok, I have to ask this, whats the cutoff for the legacy pricing? A few bucks off a month might not sound like much, but that tends to add up on the long run.


"The Legacy Plan rewards players who subscribe for 90 consecutive days prior to the launch of v2.0."


For the record it didn't actually have to be consecutive, just cumulative.

Lodestone wrote:
Users with service accounts that have paid for at least 90 cumulative days of subscriptions between January 6, 2012 and the start of version 2.0 beta testing are eligible

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#20 Aug 20 2012 at 11:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I don't recall any beta, not that I've been in anyway, taking "at most 2 weeks". FFXIV's was the shortest I had ever participated in at 3 weeks and obviously it wasn't long enough.


The length of the beta made little difference. Since the game engine was rotten to the core, they could have had a yearlong beta test for all the good it would do. The engine needed reworking and that's not something you can resolve during beta (way too late at that point). Besides, all they really should be testing in beta are network and server congestion issues from multiple logins. Which means if the game is otherwise crappy in beta, it's going to be crappy at launch.

So basically, in the 2.0 beta, don't settle for "it'll be fixed at launch," unless it's your inability to log into the most fun game you've ever played due to the massive rush of login attempts that's the issue.Smiley: laugh
#21 Aug 20 2012 at 11:38 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Elamille wrote:
i know everyone hates the comparisons to it but when a new expansion comes out on games like WoW that completely change the world as we know it (aka cataclysm) it does happen in a day and once you have your updates downloaded the server downtime is measured in hours, not days :x

2.0 is effectively a very big expansion to the current game...


"New world", with the same dated tech behind it.

It ****** me off to even have to state the obvious differences.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#22 Aug 21 2012 at 12:02 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,144 posts
Xoie wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I don't recall any beta, not that I've been in anyway, taking "at most 2 weeks". FFXIV's was the shortest I had ever participated in at 3 weeks and obviously it wasn't long enough.


The length of the beta made little difference. Since the game engine was rotten to the core, they could have had a yearlong beta test for all the good it would do. The engine needed reworking and that's not something you can resolve during beta (way too late at that point).

Not really. Alpha testing was a prime example of that. They completely changed the battle system only a few months into testing and it easily could have been changed to what you have today in that time. The duration only makes no difference if the period is too short to evaluate and make the necessary changes. It isn't outside the realm of possibility to make changes during a beta because we have seen it happen, but the amount of changes needed to transform 1.0 to 2.0 would have been impossible, I agree.

Xoie wrote:
Which means if the game is otherwise crappy in beta, it's going to be crappy at launch.

I agree 100% but you have to remember, we're posting in a forum where the prevailing mentality was that some super shiny golden patch was to bring in tons of content. First it was "It's just a beta." which transformed into "Tanaka asked for 3 months before reviews so there must be something coming shortly after launch". Remember the "Forum trolls joke of white knights waiting for a "Golden Patch," but what if it's real?" article? Yeah, that was 9 months after launch and people were still clinging to the idea.

Trust me, I would be the last person you would have to convince since I spent most of my time on these boards 2 years ago waving the warning flag while ducking arrows and dodging angry mobs of rabid fans.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#23 Aug 21 2012 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
In a nutshell from some random article I ran across:

Final Fantasy XIV players, take note: Your days are numbered. Er, at least your days spent in the original FFXIV world. When the game's rebirth, called A Realm Reborn, occurs later this year, the game's servers will be taken offline. Rather than overlap the two versions of the game, Square-Enix director/producer Naoki Yoshida says the original servers will be taken offline "some day in the near future," precipitating an alpha and then a beta for the game's relaunch later this year.

"Basically what's going to happen is that the current story is still continuing now, but some day in the near future -- and we'll make sure we tell the players what day that is -- something is going to happen in the story, and at that time, the servers are going to shut down," Yoshida told us in a group interview this morning at Gamescom.

The reason for the shutdown is less thrilling than you might think. "Basically the player data will be taken over into the new game. So, to convert all this new data for the new systems, we need a certain amount of time to do this. There's so much data, so many thousands of characters that we must do this for. And so we have to shut down the servers," he said.

Yoshida was quick to point out that players will have plenty of warning ahead of the shut-down (consider this your first heads-up). He also notes that the original game's userbase will be prioritized in A Realm Reborn's beta queue and that players will "be able to use their current characters in the beta test as well." Though that may not be at the kickoff of the beta, he says, "We're working in a way to try to get it as close to the beginning of the beta test as possible."


Alpha + Beta testing on something that cannot fail...we are talking months of server shut down while testing occurs. I would assume we will be playing 2.0 sometime early 2013...but how early...who knows. Depends on when they shut it down.

____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)