Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

When is realm reborn release?Follow

#1 Oct 04 2012 at 2:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
67 posts
I want to come back to try it again, didn't played since September / December 2010, seems they did a good job
#2 Oct 04 2012 at 3:30 PM Rating: Default
*
131 posts
Yeah a lot has improved. but 2.0 is not set to be released till January 2013. The servers shut down on November 11th. Which means no one can play FFXIV anymore until 2.0 release, unless you get into beta which is not saved anyway. HOWEVER! Game stops saving on november 1st... so no point in playing past november 1st lol. You grind our those last few levels after the 1st and before 11th to get to 50 and get some awesome weapon? Too bad it is gone and you willl have to do it again once 2.0 is released.

Oh well... I move to FFXI as i await 2.0. I just wish 2.0 would hurry up.
#3 Oct 04 2012 at 3:44 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Wait, I was under the impression that all character data is moving over? Curreny, items, level , etc. Is this not true?
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#4 Oct 04 2012 at 3:58 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
It is, but only until November 1st. Your character stats items etc as of 11/1/2012 is what is carried over, anything obtained from 11/2 and on will not be carried over to ARR.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#5 Oct 04 2012 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
**
325 posts
They are saving our characters off on Nov 1st I believe and copied to 2.0.

I think what might be confusing is after Nov 1st we will still be able to play but nothing after Nov 1st will be copied to 2.0.
#6 Oct 04 2012 at 4:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
67 posts
Ty for fast and clear reply,will wait some more then :)

cheers
#7 Oct 05 2012 at 6:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Not making fun of you but this makes me wonder how many people will "grind out those last few levels" and " get some awesome weapons," then come 2.0 they can't find them.

Not to laugh at someones misfortune but I think I would /laugh, /point <t>, /laugh, /cry, /comfort <t>.
#8 Oct 05 2012 at 10:33 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
Yelta wrote:
They are saving our characters off on Nov 1st I believe and copied to 2.0.

I think what might be confusing is after Nov 1st we will still be able to play but nothing after Nov 1st will be copied to 2.0.



Cool. So basically if I grind to level 50 before Nov 1st (10 more levels to go) I will have a level 50 character in 2.0, if I understand it correctly.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#9 Oct 05 2012 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
Exactly. I just finished off my goldsmithing, and hope to have botany and fishing at 50 before the first... As well, I still have 3 more Job quests left before I have those done... So much to do so little time (I never thought I would say that about this game...)
#10 Oct 21 2012 at 9:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
So they're going to effectively shut down the game from November 1st till the January release date? If you can't progress in some way, there's no real reason to play. If there's no reason to play, the game is more or less shut down for two months.

If true, I have no words to describe this absurdity. I can understand transferring characters takes time, but 2 months? This could be done with ease over a period of a week or two (assuming the data structure is coded halfway decently). They'd be essentially moving a whole lot of variables from one server to another. Man, SE just seems incapable of giving people what they want.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#11 Oct 21 2012 at 10:21 PM Rating: Default
*
131 posts
Actually, They have said over and over that it WILL take about a month to transfer data over to 2.0... No matter what it will take a month... They need to make sure everything is done correctly to give smooth transition. It does suck, I understand. I would like to play too. But I think it will be nice for them not to have to worry about upkeep on 1.0 servers, monitoring 1.0 servers, and splitting half their resources on 1.0 servers WHILE trying to finalize 2.0 because they try to keep 1.0 servers up the entire time... This way on november 1st (or 11th), they can begin transferring and devote all XIV employees and resources to making sure 2.0 has successful launch and make sure they have everything done for 2.0. It is sooo close to release though I just wish they could throw us a bone and give us a freekin date... It would be nice if it is first half of January (since ill still be in winter break :P)
#12 Oct 22 2012 at 12:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Banwawgwa wrote:
Actually, They have said over and over that it WILL take about a month to transfer data over to 2.0... No matter what it will take a month... They need to make sure everything is done correctly to give smooth transition.


No, its going to take them a month. It could be done much much sooner. You could argue SE simply doesn't have the resources to do it. But that wouldn't hold much water. They've had plenty of resources to get 2.0 going, plenty of resources to keep 1.0 going and plenty of resources to keep FFXI going. Not to mention develop other games. If this was a small 10 guys in a basement company, sure I could see it. SE is not 10 guys in a basement.

Quote:
It does suck, I understand. I would like to play too.


Actually, you don't understand. Though, its hardly your fault. You see, I bailed on FFXIV about halfway through beta when I realized that SE wasn't going to do anything to change a number of aspects about the game that I disliked. Not only me, but the community as a whole. We all disliked them -- or at least the vast majority did. I suppose there are those out there that liked the UI.

I'm not offended on a personal level by this. In truth it doesn't effect me at all. I re-subbed for WoW when MoP hit. No, I'm offended because this is the same old SE doing the same old routine. "We can't do it because of X." PS2 limitations (which were somehow solved later), PS3 limitations (remember when they said they'd release FFXIV on the PC and PS3 at the same time? Oops.), and finally PC limitations: We can't make the UI better because then your computer couldn't run our game. Uh wha? Every other MMORPG does it just fine.

Quote:
But I think it will be nice for them not to have to worry about upkeep on 1.0 servers, monitoring 1.0 servers, and splitting half their resources on 1.0 servers WHILE trying to finalize 2.0 because they try to keep 1.0 servers up the entire time... This way on november 1st (or 11th), they can begin transferring and devote all XIV employees and resources to making sure 2.0 has successful launch and make sure they have everything done for 2.0. It is sooo close to release though I just wish they could throw us a bone and give us a freekin date... It would be nice if it is first half of January (since ill still be in winter break :P)


Hey, if you and others are wiling to wait, more power to you. I'm glad someone out there thinks this game is worth all the headaches. I gave up on SE after FFXIV (and to a lesser extent FFXIII). I actually game here tonight to see if there was a release date for a game that I was sorta kinda maybe considering looking into. Time makes memories fade. I thought, "Hey, maybe SE has finally changed. Maybe they'll start treating customers like customers."

On the plus side, I relearned an old truism: People don't change. Or in this case, companies run by people don't change.

Edit: tags.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 2:33am by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#13 Oct 22 2012 at 6:16 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Honestly, I am not sure what it is you are complaining about. I am sure SE could release faster if all they had to do was switch over to new servers. However, to me it sounds more like they want to spend enough time in Alpha and Beta phase so that THIS time they don't do the same mistake again and rush a game that isn't ready.

I seem to remember reading that Yoshi wants a good deal of time in Beta to make sure the game is what it needs to be and quite frankly I am sure that is a better approach than releasing too early once again. Hopefully this time they will even listen to what the Beta players have to say which would probably mean some tweaks that takes some extra time as well.

When it comes to keeping the servers open I don't think it at all matters when it comes to getting new customers because most people are waiting for 2.0 and won't start playing before that hits and so it if is a month or three months between 1.0 shutdown and 2.0 release doesn't matter much (aside from people already playing). If you are simply arguing you want a release date and if you don't get it you just won't care about 2.0 anymore, well that is your perogative, but personally I would rather they give a release date that actually sticks and won't be moved back because I think more people will be upset by something like that.

I will agree that SE has messed up way too much and in a lot of different ways, but honestly I don't believe this to be one of those times.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 8:18am by Belcrono
#14 Oct 22 2012 at 1:31 PM Rating: Default
*
131 posts
Yeah, I don't see how you can say SE is not treating their customers like customers. They are not sitting back there going "Teeheehee... waiting 2 months for 2.0 will REALLY get them riled up eh?" It is not their intention to annoy customers and they can hardly afford to... but some things must be done. Like the post above me says, yeah, they can get 2.0 out much much quicker if they were just copying data and giving it to us. However, they want to do beta tests and let players try 2.0 so they know if they gave the players what they want to make 2.0 launch successful. And the fact that SE reworked the game and are trying to keep it alive for its fans is tremendous on their part... I know, I know... They are trying to keep it alive so they can line their pocketbooks, etc... That is true. They do not want to go under with this game so they are going to do all they can to push it into profit zone. But at the same time they do not want to lose fan base. They already have (a lot) but they took the initiative to reconcile their mistakes. Good for them.
#15 Oct 22 2012 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I think the issue is because the database structure for 2.0 is different than one was built using Crystal Tools for 1.0, it's not a simple matter of copying the database from one server to the other and firing it up and calling it done. They're going to have to literally reload all the data and rebuild the database for thousands of characters. Sure, if they did it the smart way they'll have an automated script doing the grunt work, but its thousands of characters and each character has several hundred tables of data. Heaven help them if they're going from a standard relational database to something newer.... or a custom database to a standard one. Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#16 Oct 22 2012 at 9:10 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
catwho wrote:
I think the issue is because the database structure for 2.0 is different than one was built using Crystal Tools for 1.0, it's not a simple matter of copying the database from one server to the other and firing it up and calling it done. They're going to have to literally reload all the data and rebuild the database for thousands of characters. Sure, if they did it the smart way they'll have an automated script doing the grunt work, but its thousands of characters and each character has several hundred tables of data. Heaven help them if they're going from a standard relational database to something newer.... or a custom database to a standard one. Gives me a headache just thinking about it.


thank you someone who knows what they are talking about. a lot of people seem to think they know how technology works, but in reality is far more complexe than they think. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's the way it is.

I have to agree with you catwho, they are most likely moving to a different database structure. Hopefully a much better one. Besides, i don't mind the wait for ARR. Ive gotten just about everything i wanted to do done before ARR, and i would like nothing more than for them to get it right this time. Since ive been back, the game feels a lot more final fantasy than when the game was released, and when we do get to log back in i have a feeling this game is going to give us that same feeling as the first time we loaded up FFXI. Minus the whole starting at level 1.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 11:10pm by Keysofgaruda
#17 Oct 23 2012 at 7:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Not only is there the migration but then all of the regression testing on top of that. I'm sure they're going to be triple checking that the data made it over in one piece, you wouldn't want to be the player whose character data was corrupted due to a sloppy move. Let them take their time, it means (hopefully) that they're doing it right.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#18 Oct 24 2012 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
Honestly, I am not sure what it is you are complaining about.


Simple version: Two months is far too long for a company of SE's size to move all the data from one server to another. That's two months of no progression for anyone.

To those saying its a complicated process: I'm not disagreeing. However, its isn't so complicated that it couldn't be done considerably sooner. Yes, moving data from one database to another with different structures is a pain. No doubt. But the pain is programming the computers to do this properly, not that actual data move. I can understand them taking their time to develop a program that does this with minimal data corruption (or ideally none at all). What I can't understand is why the move itself should take any more than a couple of days.

Wint: If this were anyone besides SE I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and let them take their time. But FFXIV took how many years to produce? And we got a game so bad that they had to reinvent large portions of it. SE taking their time hardly means that they're doing it right.

Frankly I'm shocked and a bit saddened that you've all become so used to being treated so poorly that this kind of thing gets a hand wave.

Edit: Grammar. Always with the grammar. Stupid commas! /sigh

Edited, Oct 24th 2012 7:08pm by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#19 Oct 24 2012 at 5:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Fred Brooks of IBM wrote:
A baby takes nine months to gestate no matter how many women are assigned to the task.


I used to be a lot less sympathetic and outraged at my treatment. Then I started my master's degree in IT project management.

Trust me, you want them to say "it'll take two months" and then surprise, surprise, it's done a month early. Much better than them saying it'll be done in precisely one month, and then miscalculating and taking two months.

*********** Gantt charts. Smiley: bah[/sm]

Edited, Oct 24th 2012 7:19pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#20 Oct 25 2012 at 6:15 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Caia wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, I am not sure what it is you are complaining about.


Simple version: Two months is far too long for a company of SE's size to move all the data from one server to another. That's two months of no progression for anyone.

To those saying its a complicated process: I'm not disagreeing. However, its isn't so complicated that it couldn't be done considerably sooner. Yes, moving data from one database to another with different structures is a pain. No doubt. But the pain is programming the computers to do this properly, not that actual data move. I can understand them taking their time to develop a program that does this with minimal data corruption (or ideally none at all). What I can't understand is why the move itself should take any more than a couple of days.

Wint: If this were anyone besides SE I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and let them take their time. But FFXIV took how many years to produce? And we got a game so bad that they had to reinvent large portions of it. SE taking their time hardly means that they're doing it right.

Frankly I'm shocked and a bit saddened that you've all become so used to being treated so poorly that this kind of thing gets a hand wave.

Edit: Grammar. Always with the grammar. Stupid commas! /sigh

Edited, Oct 24th 2012 7:08pm by Caia


I think we just look at different things then. I don't give SE a hand wave because I've been treated badly, the situation here would get the same respons from me no matter what company did it. I find it funny however that you have just gathered so much dissapointment towards SE that you think something that isn't an issue if any other company would have done it, is an issue because SE is doing it.

Either way though, what I look at with this server transfer and relaunch is quality. Now even if this transfer can take a couple of days like you claim that would be fine, but you know what... there is no way I would want ARR to launch Nov 3rd or w/e it would be anyway. Simply because SE hasn't alpha/beta tested the game enough by then.

I wouldn't mind servers staying up longer so I could play 1.0 while waiting for 2.0 if I felt like it, but I don't want ARR to be released until it is ready which I don't believe will be Nov because of lack of testing. So basically if what you say is true about the speed of transfers and SE did it your way the difference would be that I could play 1.0 up until two days before relaunch which would still be at the same date as it is set to be now (w/e that is).

So basically, assuming you are right in your claims maybe that way might be the absolute optimal solution for current players who care about playing a few months more (depends on if it would have any negative effects to SE which would affect the development of ARR which we don't know).

Personally however I don't feel confident enough in my technical skills to make any assumptions myself and honestly I think SE knows better than you do in this case (whether they can't transfer faster or if they do it slower for other reasons) as to what is the best way to reach ARR asap and in a solid state. If that happens to be false and you are right, then the difference between the two solutions is too small for me to even care anyway because it doesn't really affect me and in the grand scheme of things I doubt it has any effect on ARR success.

Edited, Oct 25th 2012 8:16am by Belcrono
#21 Oct 25 2012 at 6:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
I think we just look at different things then. I don't give SE a hand wave because I've been treated badly, the situation here would get the same respons from me no matter what company did it. I find it funny however that you have just gathered so much dissapointment towards SE that you think something that isn't an issue if any other company would have done it, is an issue because SE is doing it.


No, I'd have an issue with ANY company that did this kind of thing (assuming they have enough resources to do so anyway). With SE its just yet another disappointment.

Quote:
Personally however I don't feel confident enough in my technical skills to make any assumptions myself and honestly I think SE knows better than you do in this case (whether they can't transfer faster or if they do it slower for other reasons) as to what is the best way to reach ARR asap and in a solid state. If that happens to be false and you are right, then the difference between the two solutions is too small for me to even care anyway because it doesn't really affect me and in the grand scheme of things I doubt it has any effect on ARR success.


Are we talking about the same SE?
  • PS2 limitations (which they somehow managed to get around after people complained enough).
  • FFXIV was promised to be released on both the PC and PS3 at the same time. It wasn't.
  • SE didn't bother telling customers that the FFXI servers were being DOS'ed until at least a week afterwards. It was always, "Oh, it must be your computer. Nothing is wrong here."


These are just a few of the issues over the years. When it comes to computer knowledge, SE seems to be pretty weak, frankly. Or at the very least, they're happy to hand us misinformation and hope no one looks for the man behind the curtain. Just because SE says something, doesn't mean its true.

If you guys are happy with how it works out, then good for you. I mean it. But if you're ok with not getting anywhere for two months, then something seems wrong. Either the game isn't enjoyable enough to want to progress or people are looking at this as a super extended beta where they get to have their character information copied over. I suppose if its the former, that makes some sense, but then who pays for a beta test?

Edited, Oct 25th 2012 8:40am by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#22 Oct 25 2012 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
For the record, there is something wrong, there is a reason why the game is being remade...

Aside from that though a lot of people might be having fun still, but personally I have done everything I wanted to do before 2.0. I did the story, got a few jobs to 50 got far enough in a craft to the point where I got bored and I've done all battles except hard mode Van Darnus and I am a casual player. Since the game isn't really being updated with any content anymore there is more or less no reason for me to keep playing because I would have no fun. I could level another job to 50, but I'd rather save it for ARR and see what 1-50 journey is like there. I know a lot of people who feel the same.

The game isn't being updated anymore and so I got bored. Usually this would be wrong, but since we are waiting for ARR it feels like the right way to do it. Partly because the resurces go into ARR instead and partly because this way people get a chance to complete the content that exists and not feel like there were things that got updated near the end and people didn't have time to do it before it dissapeared. Of course this leads to a bit of a stagnation and boredom for those who have already completed things which is why I personally don't care if it shuts down now or in two months time. Again, if it is the best way to get ARR quickly and in a solid state I am all for it.

EDIT: Just want to mention that of course not everyone playing feels this way, I am just explaining my thought process from my perspective as to why I don't think accpeting SE's decision this time means I just give SE a free pass to do w/e just beacuse I am used to their bs.

Edited, Oct 25th 2012 11:47am by Belcrono
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)