Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This thread is locked

Letter Live - Jumping OMFGFollow

#1 Nov 11 2012 at 4:26 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Why is everyone in the alpha test jumping in this video? Is this how it's going to be all the time? If so square needs implement Jumper Fatigue to stop people from doing this. There literally hasn't been 1 second in the last 24 minutes where someone wasn't jumping.

Edit: I understand many of them were doing it to say "hey look I'm on camera". This was sort of a joke because, anyone watching will agree, it was crazy how many people were jumping almost 100% of the entire 2 hours of gameplay demonstration.

Edit 2: Rather than continue any of this I now turn it over to the official Forums where this topic has been beaten in much deeper detail. At least over there it isn't EVERYONE against the poster. So, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one on the planet who was irritated by it.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/57731-Why-is-everyone-just-jumping-around-in-the-alpha-footage/page16


Edited, Nov 12th 2012 3:59pm by electromagnet83

Edited, Nov 13th 2012 10:55am by Wint Lock Thread: Yeah this is going nowhere now, gonna shut this one down.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#2 Nov 11 2012 at 4:38 AM Rating: Good
Just chill dude, of course they are jumping all over the place it's a new motion....and a pretty cool one at that. These things settle down after a short time..
____________________________
Hocuspocus of Hades:
The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus
Karma Zameleons - Zam.com Linkshell on Ultros Server!
#3 Nov 11 2012 at 5:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
428 posts
Everyone is jumping because they know theyre being webcast. Its like the people waving like idiots in the windows of a morning talk show.
#4 Nov 11 2012 at 7:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Why is everyone in the alpha test jumping in this video? Is this how it's going to be all the time? If so square needs implement Jumper Fatigue to stop people from doing this. There literally hasn't been 1 second in the last 24 minutes where someone wasn't jumping.


Holy **** dude, are you a troll? Because every topic you make is 2 sentences and complaining about something that's already been beat to death in a much more intelligent thread on the Lodestone. Get a blog, there's no need to make a new thread every time you have a thought.
____________________________


#5 Nov 11 2012 at 7:59 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,112 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Get a blog


No! Please!
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#6 Nov 11 2012 at 8:40 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,173 posts
From my limited understanding, a big part of alpha testing is telling everybody "Go to X and do action Y" to see what happens when a lot of people do the same thing.

So if that's the case, this may be the jump testing.
____________________________
Valion, San d'Oria - Retired
Odin Server
SAM90/PLD90/COR90/BLU90/RDM90/SCH90

Valion Chevalier, Limsa Lominsa
Hyperion Server
50 All Classes

"Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed."
-New Gold Dreams (another short-lived webcomic)
#7 Nov 11 2012 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
ragamuffin wrote:
Just chill dude..


He doesn't know how to...

However, I too hope the jumping dies down and doesn't become the national sport of Eorzea after relaunch.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#8 Nov 11 2012 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
Jumper Fatigue now someone is going to make a fatigue video to explain how long jumping last for each job.Smiley: lol
____________________________





#9 Nov 11 2012 at 10:29 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Lancer should be the only job with unlimited Jumps.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#10 Nov 11 2012 at 10:57 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
194 posts
they r excite.

they're getting a revamped FFXIV afterall!

Edited, Nov 11th 2012 8:58am by justamemory
____________________________
VG Piano @ www.youtube.com/xjustamem0ryx
#11 Nov 11 2012 at 12:11 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
Perrin wrote:
ragamuffin wrote:
Just chill dude..


He doesn't know how to...

However, I too hope the jumping dies down and doesn't become the national sport of Eorzea after relaunch.


I do know how too but yea..... the jumping was certainly overdone. There's a reason Square didn't put jumping in xi or xiv. I'm really glad they finally got with the program but I hope the population doesn't jump around constantly. Otherwise who knows, they might institute some sort of limit on it.

On another non-****** note. I thought the video looked amazing. The new shroud looks so much better than 1.0 someone who never played that one wouldn't even be able to comprehend the night and day difference. Here's to hoping you all get an alpha invite :)
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#12 Nov 11 2012 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
Warmech wrote:
Jumper Fatigue now someone is going to make a fatigue video to explain how long jumping last for each job.Smiley: lol


Aww.... Come on... Even if you didn't agree with fatigue the guy who put that video together did an excellent job explaining something no body else could.
____________________________



#13 Nov 11 2012 at 1:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Perrin wrote:
ragamuffin wrote:
Just chill dude..


He doesn't know how to...

However, I too hope the jumping dies down and doesn't become the national sport of Eorzea after relaunch.


I do know how too but yea.....


Haven't seen evidence of this mate, look at all the threads you've created... the vast majority are far from calm enducing or thought provoking topics. Most are knee jerk topics, things which you should (and you do, even before someone else suggested it ;) ) blog about.

As to jumping, I do find it annoying if it serves no purpouse. However, I'm much more concerned about story, player progression, the UI, the unfortunate potential for people to self segregate themselves by region with the new server layout, and more or less the overall appeal of 2.0 and it's pending success/mediocricy/failure.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#14 Nov 11 2012 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
OMFGBBQSAUCE people are jumping. Lets have SE write something in the code to make it so you are only allowed X amount of jumps per Y amount of time. I'd love to see them devote time to that instead of combat, UI, or story.

Heck...maybe Yoshi will make a new poll that just revolves around this and Electroboy can write a blog about the results.

One can only hope.

____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#15 Nov 11 2012 at 1:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Why is everyone in the alpha test jumping in this video?


To annoy you. Specifically you. (Well, those who also can be annoyed by it. ) We want you to be so enraged you spontaneously combust. Why? Because we need to prove it can be done and nobody will miss the complaining.

Quote:
Is this how it's going to be all the time?

We'll stop the moment after you blow up, and not a moment sooner.


Quote:
If so square needs implement Jumper Fatigue to stop people from doing this.

That would compromise the purpose of annoying you to the point of detonation.


Quote:
There literally hasn't been 1 second in the last 24 minutes where someone wasn't jumping.

Yeah... sorry about that, we're going to have to speed up the animation a bit so we can fit more jumps within that time-frame.
#16electromagnet83, Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:40 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) We should probably all be less concerned with what annoys you about what annoys me and more focused on the fact that we will not be getting our January Launch that we all hoped for.
#17 Nov 11 2012 at 1:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Quote:
We should probably all be less concerned with what annoys you about what annoys me and more focused on the fact that we will not be getting our January Launch that we all hoped for.


Speak for yourself. I wasn't concerned at all for the launch date. I'm concerned about the launch quality. If they're taking the time necessary to make the improvements, I most defiantly can wait longer. It also indicates that they've learned their lessons from last time concerning alpha/beta testing and feedback.
#18 Nov 11 2012 at 1:50 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Hyrist wrote:
Quote:
We should probably all be less concerned with what annoys you about what annoys me and more focused on the fact that we will not be getting our January Launch that we all hoped for.


Speak for yourself. I wasn't concerned at all for the launch date. I'm concerned about the launch quality. If they're taking the time necessary to make the improvements, I most defiantly can wait longer. It also indicates that they've learned their lessons from last time concerning alpha/beta testing and feedback.


Agreed, but that doesn't make the wait any better. Especially when it is looking as good as what I've seen recently.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#19 Nov 11 2012 at 1:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
My best advice is not to over-focus yourself on it.

There are plenty of games and plenty of other things in life to distract yourself with in the meantime. Being excited is good, but over-investing yourself in it leads your expectations to go through the roof and guarantees your disappointment.

It's a video game, nothing more. Plenty of great video games out there to play (How big is your 'to finish' pile?) and the longer you have to wait for FFXIV, the more you can enjoy other ones. Give the little guys some love too.
#20 Nov 11 2012 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I don't know why jumping bothers people so much. It's my game, I'll jump around like a douche all I want.

In the absence of being allowed to jump, I'll spam the most overt emote available to me. In this case, it's been Elezen's "/Happy" and "Laugh".

In the absence of sufficiently annoying emotes, I will constantly unsheathe my weapon so that both the sound and the glowey effect of Ifrit's Axe will make me stand out from the crowd.

If that's not enough, I'll spam all my self target abilities, or cast holy and flare over and over.

NOT having a jump command makes it feel antiquated. I played SWTOR for a year and the only time I saw jumping was people bored in the central hub, and these are the instances that people will do all these other annoying things instead. If you're out playing the game, you'll hardly notice.


Edited, Nov 11th 2012 4:30pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#21 Nov 11 2012 at 3:49 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Hyrist wrote:
My best advice is not to over-focus yourself on it.

There are plenty of games and plenty of other things in life to distract yourself with in the meantime. Being excited is good, but over-investing yourself in it leads your expectations to go through the roof and guarantees your disappointment.

It's a video game, nothing more. Plenty of great video games out there to play (How big is your 'to finish' pile?) and the longer you have to wait for FFXIV, the more you can enjoy other ones. Give the little guys some love too.


Haha my "to finish" pile gives me anxiety when I look at it. I guess it's back to FFXIII-2 for now. Maybe I'll take a crack at Skyrim after that, who knows.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#22 Nov 11 2012 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
ragamuffin wrote:
Just chill dude, of course they are jumping all over the place it's a new motion....and a pretty cool one at that. These things settle down after a short time..


He's right: there's nothing more unique about FFXIV than its jump-spamming: almost no other MMORPG offers such a "pretty cool" feature. And, just like in WoW, after the first few weeks nobody will uselessly hop about at every opportunity, while waiting, while travelling, or while fighting. Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#23 Nov 11 2012 at 4:39 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
82 posts
Quote:
I played SWTOR for a year and the only time I saw jumping was people bored in the central hub


You must have not done much datacron hunting. As for the OP, what does it matter that people are jumping around? I understand that it's a new feature and it has been done to death in other MMOs but posting your frustrations on a third-party site will hardly get you any positive attention. I'm not fond of the armory system but Yoshida and team are ****-bent on keeping it so I'll follow updates and when release comes I'll judge for myself if the game is worth subbing for. That's about all you can do at this point; why waste the time and energy on something that is in constant development?
____________________________
FFXIV - Goblin - Seraphan Amatsuka
#24 Nov 11 2012 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
I will jump. Especially around corners. To break everyone's immersion.
The hilarious fun I get out of it is the reason I pay my subs.
#25 Nov 11 2012 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Louiscool wrote:
I don't know why jumping bothers people so much. It's my game, I'll jump around like a douche all I want.


Because they can't find anything legitimate to complain about people turn to such pathetic topics as jumping. They try to jump on the bandwagon that "IT KILLS MUH IMMURSHUN!!" and purposely ignore the neon nameplate right above their avatar's heads. They jump down others throats for daring to call their avatar a character, or a toon, or any other reflection of a virtual character that has been in place since Ultima Online (but they again ignore and try to state it's because of WoW).

Basically, they're quick to jump onto the idea that other people's money doesn't matter as much as their own and thus loudly scream that they do not appreciate others doing what they bloody well want to do with their own characters when it comes to movement.

"TEACHER HE IS PLAYING WITH THOSE BLOCKS VIA PRETENDING THEY'RE ROCKET SHIPS AND I DON'T LIKE !!!!! MAKE HIM SHTAP!!!!"
#26electromagnet83, Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 5:00 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I just decreases the level of immersion. This is one of the reasons they were reluctant to put in jumping and did not do so in Xi or XIV. The armory system is pretty cool though and I notice alot of upcoming MMOs are doing the same thing where "wielding a weapon gives you abilities and you can interchange them all." I think it was a really innovative thing Square did and hope it continues. Back to main point though, jumping is cool I only hope that players don't intentionally try to annoy other players by jumping around, on top of them, in front of them , etc . You get the idea, and can totally see this happening.
#27 Nov 11 2012 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Quote:
just decreases the level of immersion.


So does fast travel, teleportation, calling a chocobo from any location, level up fanfare, visible stats, rolling damage numbers, not having permanent death, a chat log, time stamps, content finders, shout spam, levels next to enemies names and health bars, maps that show your location, and repeatable content.

But jumping.. jumping is what "kills your immersion."

It's an mmo. Until an MMO is no longer a game about spamming quests to level up and find gear that is a few more points higher than what you currently have, it will always be most obviously a game. An mmo has never "immersed" me like many other single player games have been able to do, because in order to give the game longevity, it must create timesinks and artificial barriers that are obvious and break the immersion. Being able to jump and save some time instead of walking around that rock is NOT the issue that MMO's need to overcome.

But this is just my opinion, as a jaded old MMO player.
____________________________


#28 Nov 11 2012 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
"Squarez! We needz jumpingz!"

*They add jumping after years of people wanting it*

"OMFG >_< WHY IS EVERYONE JUMPINGZ? D:"

Sigh.

And the reason they didn't add jumping to FFXI is because they would have to code it into the game, and SE in the past has been strict against doing actual work.


Edited, Nov 11th 2012 6:48pm by Raiendel
____________________________
------------------
#29 Nov 11 2012 at 7:34 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Quote:
just decreases the level of immersion.


So does fast travel, teleportation, calling a chocobo from any location, level up fanfare, visible stats, rolling damage numbers, not having permanent death, a chat log, time stamps, content finders, shout spam, levels next to enemies names and health bars, maps that show your location, and repeatable content.

But jumping.. jumping is what "kills your immersion."

It's an mmo. Until an MMO is no longer a game about spamming quests to level up and find gear that is a few more points higher than what you currently have, it will always be most obviously a game. An mmo has never "immersed" me like many other single player games have been able to do, because in order to give the game longevity, it must create timesinks and artificial barriers that are obvious and break the immersion. Being able to jump and save some time instead of walking around that rock is NOT the issue that MMO's need to overcome.

But this is just my opinion, as a jaded old MMO player.


Just because MMOs typically have zero immersion and for some odd reason stand on their own genre with gameplay different to any other 3rd person action title out there doesn't mean they ALL have to be that way. *cough* FFXIV 2.0 *Cough*
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#30 Nov 12 2012 at 7:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Viertel wrote:
"TEACHER HE IS PLAYING WITH THOSE BLOCKS VIA PRETENDING THEY'RE ROCKET SHIPS AND I DON'T LIKE !!!!! MAKE HIM SHTAP!!!!"


Smiley: laughSmiley: nodSmiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#31 Nov 12 2012 at 7:46 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Wint wrote:
Viertel wrote:
"TEACHER HE IS PLAYING WITH THOSE BLOCKS VIA PRETENDING THEY'RE ROCKET SHIPS AND I DON'T LIKE !!!!! MAKE HIM SHTAP!!!!"


Smiley: laughSmiley: nodSmiley: thumbsup



THANK YOU. The way he is playing with those blocks ****** me off! Make him stop lol
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#32 Nov 12 2012 at 7:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Viertel, you just made coffee come out my nose. Thanks.

Edited, Nov 12th 2012 9:35am by Louiscool
____________________________


#33electromagnet83, Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 8:26 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I'll tell you what. When you break my immersion by bunny hopping all over Eorzea I will continue to follow you and send /tells to you. That won't bother you right? Because you're better than me and don't get bothered by such petty things right?
#34 Nov 12 2012 at 8:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Electro, that's fine. They have a /blist for a reason :D

I would be all for an option to not show others jumping. It's your game too. But don't hinder my experience by banning jumping or adding a fatigue meter.
____________________________


#35electromagnet83, Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 8:52 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) My point proven right there. It would bother me to see everyone jumping constantly and it would bother you if Square limited your jump capability. I made a point and supported it with a reason: the game becomes much more unrealistic when players become bunny rabbits. Nobody here has offered any reason as to why people find it so important that Square not limit their ability to press the space bar repeatedly as they move from point A to point B? Are they twitchy? Have they had one to many Monster energy drinks? Do they have the shakes? Suffer from seizures?
#36 Nov 12 2012 at 8:52 AM Rating: Excellent
**
924 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Viertel wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I don't know why jumping bothers people so much. It's my game, I'll jump around like a douche all I want.


Because they can't find anything legitimate to complain about people turn to such pathetic topics as jumping. They try to jump on the bandwagon that "IT KILLS MUH IMMURSHUN!!" and purposely ignore the neon nameplate right above their avatar's heads. They jump down others throats for daring to call their avatar a character, or a toon, or any other reflection of a virtual character that has been in place since Ultima Online (but they again ignore and try to state it's because of WoW).

Basically, they're quick to jump onto the idea that other people's money doesn't matter as much as their own and thus loudly scream that they do not appreciate others doing what they bloody well want to do with their own characters when it comes to movement.

"TEACHER HE IS PLAYING WITH THOSE BLOCKS VIA PRETENDING THEY'RE ROCKET SHIPS AND I DON'T LIKE !!!!! MAKE HIM SHTAP!!!!"


I'll tell you what. When you break my immersion by bunny hopping all over Eorzea I will continue to follow you and send /tells to you. That won't bother you right? Because you're better than me and don't get bothered by such petty things right?

Get real dude. People in XI used to get annoyed if someone "checked" them too often and would complain to admins. Some games ban you if you /follow players. I am well within my realm of reason to complain if I am bothered by pathetic geeks who, "because it's there", feel the need to jump spam all over the place. And likewise if I /tell spam you or /shout spam the area, even if keeping my language mature and professional, people would get annoyed. My post isn't that different from anyone else's thoughts. This simply happens to be one thing that doesn't bother you.


I once had a buddy who claimed the same "immersion" statement. That was until he had kids and they were old enough to go around skipping everywhere with little bunny hops. Never once saw him yell at the kids to sit the @#%^ down because they were breaking his immersion.

Edited, Nov 12th 2012 6:54am by Elionara
Directed at those "immersion" "people"

Edited, Nov 12th 2012 6:54am by Elionara
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#37 Nov 12 2012 at 9:19 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Elionara wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
Viertel wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I don't know why jumping bothers people so much. It's my game, I'll jump around like a douche all I want.


Because they can't find anything legitimate to complain about people turn to such pathetic topics as jumping. They try to jump on the bandwagon that "IT KILLS MUH IMMURSHUN!!" and purposely ignore the neon nameplate right above their avatar's heads. They jump down others throats for daring to call their avatar a character, or a toon, or any other reflection of a virtual character that has been in place since Ultima Online (but they again ignore and try to state it's because of WoW).

Basically, they're quick to jump onto the idea that other people's money doesn't matter as much as their own and thus loudly scream that they do not appreciate others doing what they bloody well want to do with their own characters when it comes to movement.

"TEACHER HE IS PLAYING WITH THOSE BLOCKS VIA PRETENDING THEY'RE ROCKET SHIPS AND I DON'T LIKE !!!!! MAKE HIM SHTAP!!!!"


I'll tell you what. When you break my immersion by bunny hopping all over Eorzea I will continue to follow you and send /tells to you. That won't bother you right? Because you're better than me and don't get bothered by such petty things right?

Get real dude. People in XI used to get annoyed if someone "checked" them too often and would complain to admins. Some games ban you if you /follow players. I am well within my realm of reason to complain if I am bothered by pathetic geeks who, "because it's there", feel the need to jump spam all over the place. And likewise if I /tell spam you or /shout spam the area, even if keeping my language mature and professional, people would get annoyed. My post isn't that different from anyone else's thoughts. This simply happens to be one thing that doesn't bother you.


I once had a buddy who claimed the same "immersion" statement. That was until he had kids and they were old enough to go around skipping everywhere with little bunny hops. Never once saw him yell at the kids to sit the @#%^ down because they were breaking his immersion.

Edited, Nov 12th 2012 6:54am by Elionara
Directed at those "immersion" "people"

Edited, Nov 12th 2012 6:54am by Elionara


Okay , even though your point is not on my side that made me rofl for real. But in reality people do yell at their kids for jumping around. Not because it breaks the parent's IRL immersion but because it's annoying and the parent can't concentrate. Still, funny thought though.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#38 Nov 12 2012 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
... But don't hinder my experience by banning jumping or adding a fatigue meter.



My point proven right there. It would bother me to see everyone jumping constantly and it would bother you if Square limited your jump capability. I made a point and supported it with a reason: the game becomes much more unrealistic when players become bunny rabbits. Nobody here has offered any reason as to why people find it so important that Square not limit their ability to press the space bar repeatedly as they move from point A to point B? Are they twitchy? Have they had one to many Monster energy drinks? Do they have the shakes? Suffer from seizures?

I am just trying to get a clear picture here of why it's so important to jump repeatedly that your experience would actually be "hindered" by a jump fatigue? Rather than just saying I'm wrong for being bothered by it, please provide support for why you find the ability to jump repeatedly so vital to your good experience. Make a good point, and I'll listen.


lolwhut?

No. It would be SILLY to add the ability to jump and then say "but you can't do it much, because we have a few whiny kids who don't like seeing it. Oh, but you can still stand around in your mithra underwear in town spamming Flare to draw attention to your player bazaar. Yeah, that doesn't break the immersion to wear a thong and Santa Boots in town, it's the jumping."

You are inserting YOUR preference into MY paid gaming experience. That is why. I pay SE money, but please, god, don't annoy electromagnet because you think it looks cool to jump over things.

Walking from point A to Point B can be boring. Occasionally, I may feel the urge to jump FOR NO REASON! ****, I might even jump down a cliff and do a 720 spin, for ****s and giggles. I do it in Halo, Boarderlands, I do it in Dark Souls, I do it because I can.

I want the freedom to do whatever the **** I want without player-created barriers. I'm 100% for your ability to not have to see it, but WHY does a developer have to cater to your preferences when they have ABSOLUTELY no impact on gameplay or balance? No one complains about "**** gear" or holiday attire, or silly moogle weapons, but they all "break immersion."

Does this not break your immersion? This is BATTLE gear, not event gear:

http://imgur.com/mYC4t

What about this impromptu White Mage Vs Black Mage line dance-off we started one day because we were bored in Ul'dah?

http://imgur.com/tmAlE

Or this time an event NPC was glitched and I just couldn't resist standing here AFK for the rest of the day...

http://i.imgur.com/VrJx5.jpg


Ok, the last one was a bit immature... but seriously.. Jumping is not your problem, it's just the only one you think you can solve.
____________________________


#39electromagnet83, Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 9:56 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I can't solve it other than not playing, which I refuse to do on account of others' immaturity. The funnest part of all this though is seeing how riled up you get. I was mostly frustrated with trying to analyze the live video feed which was hampered by 3 or 4 dozen alpha testers jumping up and down repeatedly. Seriously, it looked like popcorn on the screen.
#40 Nov 12 2012 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
194 posts
here's a low quality version with no subtitles, but the tour of the environment still looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw2R9Naw9rU&feature=player_embedded
____________________________
VG Piano @ www.youtube.com/xjustamem0ryx
#41 Nov 12 2012 at 12:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
It's your tone that riles. Every post you make points to others who play video games as nerdy, socially awkward, basement-living, unemployed virgins.

Maybe you should be the one outside, playing baseball and kissing women instead of making your 18th whiny forum post with a special link to your blog inside while pretending that the blog link has actual information that was requested by someone.
____________________________


#42 Nov 12 2012 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
265 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
... People in XI used to get annoyed if someone "checked" them too often and would complain to admins...


Just to get the facts straight, this was mostly JP players and was due to a mistake on SEs part. It's considered rude to stare at people in their culture and the /check message read along the lines of "stared at me fixedly" for Japanese players. Even I find that a bit creepy to be honest ._.

____________________________
Crasy of Alexander, Member of SplatRangers

Monk. Need I say more?

#43 Nov 12 2012 at 12:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
25 posts
everyone knows if you jump to much the world will become increasingly unstable. Its why we couldnt before.
#44 Nov 12 2012 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
crasyk wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
... People in XI used to get annoyed if someone "checked" them too often and would complain to admins...


Just to get the facts straight, this was mostly JP players and was due to a mistake on SEs part. It's considered rude to stare at people in their culture and the /check message read along the lines of "stared at me fixedly" for Japanese players. Even I find that a bit creepy to be honest ._.


i love this honestly...
#45 Nov 12 2012 at 12:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
ArecArws wrote:
everyone knows if you jump to much the world will become increasingly unstable. Its why we couldnt before.


Too much ENTROPY!
____________________________


#46electromagnet83, Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 1:58 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Wow you derive alot, including "tone", from text. Really? Tone? The only reason I do any of this is because I get bored at work sometimes. It keeps things interesting. Not that I need to explain myself, but I actually do have an active life outside of gaming including playing golf, working out, running in races, etc. And I'm engaged and drive a really fast car :)
#47 Nov 12 2012 at 2:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I just take words out of your mouth:

Quote:

I am well within my realm of reason to complain if I am bothered by pathetic geeks who, "because it's there", feel the need to jump spam all over the place.


Quote:
Nobody here has offered any reason as to why people find it so important that Square not limit their ability to press the space bar repeatedly as they move from point A to point B?


Quote:
maybe you should consider playing a game that is more fun? Or maybe consider going outside and interacting with other human beings?

Quote:
Maybe you don't know what immersion means?

Quote:
which I refuse to do on account of others' immaturity.


As an aspiring blog writer, you should know what tone is, and how to convey it across a written medium. If you don't think tone can be derived from text... I don't even have the words. (pun not intended)

Quote:
Not that I need to explain myself, but I actually do have an active life outside of gaming including playing golf, working out, running in races, etc. And I'm engaged and drive a really fast car :)


This isn't your blog, and you really don't need to tell me that.

Quote:
Also funny is the immature way in which you attack my blog on a pretty regular basis when in less than a month I've had over 2,000 reads and several positive comments on the information provided there. I've also been on the news as well as the radio for the skills I have writing music. Where's your blog or special interest?


If we're gonna pull out our ****s and compare girth and length, I'm a published writer/reporter/columnist and a managing editor for a series of publications. If someone came in and interviewed for a writing position and said they couldn't derive tone from text, the interview would be over right there.

Anyway, there was no need to get so emotional over this, and I never insulted your blog (or read it). I'm not riled, just bored of reading about the jumping, or how the grass is 2D not 3D grass, or complaints on how the start/stop run animation has been removed and toned down, and other nitpicks for no other reason than lack of information to discuss.

Edited, Nov 12th 2012 3:13pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#48 Nov 12 2012 at 2:22 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Louiscool wrote:


Anyway, there was no need to get so emotional over this, and I never insulted your blog (or read it). I'm not riled, just bored of reading about the jumping, or how the grass is 2D not 3D grass, or complaints on how the start/stop run animation has been removed and toned down, and other nitpicks for no other reason than lack of information to discuss.

Edited, Nov 12th 2012 3:13pm by Louiscool


/shake then?

Good. For the sake of argument, read my future posts with a comical sensibility. I don't take things too seriously and when you remember the context (date, time, and what I was trying to accomplish) in which this post was writtin, then you'll see the humor in it and hopefully we can all have a good laugh about these things rather than fight about them.

/bow
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#49 Nov 12 2012 at 2:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Quote:
/shake then?


Absolutely! Let's squash it, as the kids say.

Cheers!
____________________________


#50 Nov 12 2012 at 3:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
Jumping will become a meaningless emote pretty quickly with all the invisible walls in game. All of us know of impossibly high beautiful spots to suicide off of or those spots high level mobs 10 feet away aggro then run around and lose hate.Unless there's a few animation frames of invincibility during jump its just an emote.
____________________________





#51 Nov 12 2012 at 3:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
265 posts
http://www.artige.no/bilde/42678

____________________________
Crasy of Alexander, Member of SplatRangers

Monk. Need I say more?

« Previous 1 2
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)