Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV Official Alpha Video: Combat & QuestsFollow

#1 Dec 05 2012 at 10:47 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,674 posts
Don't worry, Wint. It is very much official. Smiley: lol

____________________________
Final Fantasy XI Character(s)
Name: Satisiun
Server: Carbuncle (RIP Gilgamesh)
Jobs: 99DRG, 99PLD, 99RDM, 99WHM | Everything else: 50-60
~Retired.~

Final Fantasy XIV Character(s)
Name: Satisiun Desain
Server(s): Sargantas (primary)
DoW/DoM/DoH/DoL: 50
#2 Dec 05 2012 at 10:55 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
now that doesnt seem that much faster than FFXI.. and is it just me or is it all weapon skill spamming and no auto attack?
#3 Dec 05 2012 at 11:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
Those hoglets looked pretty neat. Quest system looks pretty good as well.
#4 Dec 05 2012 at 11:04 PM Rating: Decent
*
131 posts
Ahh! I love those chat bubbles :P. And caster combat does indeed look much nicer than it was. However, I am not crazy about the big red circle around enemies you are fighting and what was with that rotating arrow? I think that simple arrow ma-bob over the enemy is perfectly sufficient to get the point across that you are targeting it... Oh well it is not a game breaker, but something we could go without.
#5 Dec 05 2012 at 11:36 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
82 posts
Quote:
I am not crazy about the big red circle around enemies you are fighting and what was with that rotating arrow?


Most likely just to show who has hate in parties. I hope they tone down some of the abilities. I enjoy flashy combat as much as the next guy but I don't want to advertise to everyone in a 20 mile radius that I just punched a marmot in the head.
____________________________
FFXIV - Goblin - Seraphan Amatsuka
#6 Dec 06 2012 at 2:17 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Still looking really good. It all does look a bit familiar, but I'm ok with that. I'd like to see some footage soon with a controller being used to see how that all works out.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#7 Dec 06 2012 at 3:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Satisiun wrote:
Don't worry, Wint. It is very much official. Smiley: lol


Shows up in the link on my sticky as well Smiley: tongue
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#8 Dec 06 2012 at 3:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Man that looks good, I'm really looking forward to this.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#9 Dec 06 2012 at 3:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Kill X innocent Y's, because they disturb nature. The cycle of life. Kharmic balance.
Or because you need the EXP ;)

Edit:
Correction. Kill X innocent, epileptic Y's.

Edit II:
But wow, the combat looks much better than before. Especially the detailed info on abilities.

Edit III:
Retraction. The LNC combat is way over the top. Unless you want to become as epileptic as those hoglets.

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 4:48am by Rinsui
#10 Dec 06 2012 at 5:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
:/ Hate to be the downer, but it looks like a pretty solid take on standard MMO combat, which is not an insult, but not a compliment either.

My biggest complaint is the 2-3 second command input. What makes GW2 tolerable is that you can slam your command buttons really fast. 2-3 seconds between inputting a command is exactly enough time to be boring and exactly NOT enough time to do anything else, like talk to another player. It's fine if they miraculously make it some highly strategic game where that time is spent figuring out your next move, but I'm 99% confident that this won't be the case.

So again, I'd really like to be able to queue up 3 or 4 attacks (and to be able to change what I queued). Then when I am fighting something boring, I can at least talk to other people.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#11 Dec 06 2012 at 5:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
22 posts
Liked what i saw :)

Hope the system allows for other mob select method besides point and click ^^
#12 Dec 06 2012 at 6:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'm sure it will for the PS3 release if nothing else.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#13 Dec 06 2012 at 6:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
588 posts
Kachi wrote:
:/ Hate to be the downer, but it looks like a pretty solid take on standard MMO combat, which is not an insult, but not a compliment either.

....

So again, I'd really like to be able to queue up 3 or 4 attacks (and to be able to change what I queued). Then when I am fighting something boring, I can at least talk to other people.


I completely concur but then it is not solo play that I have enjoyed in every MMO I have played but the group dynamic that kept me coming back. That is what I want to see more than anything else. How will party play be dynamic, strategic and more fun (i.e. Limit Break system) then if I mash buttons on my own? That said, if the battle system playing solo looks un-interesting it doesn't bode we'll for party play.

Hint: by 'un-interesting' it don't mean it lacks pretty colors, sound effects or animations.

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 7:25am by kainsilv
____________________________



#14 Dec 06 2012 at 6:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
This video seemed very much like a tutorial, I imagine you'll be able to tab and mash the number keys as you can in other MMOs.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#15 Dec 06 2012 at 6:58 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'm not necessarily crazy about button-mashing on its own either. Usually the way those games are designed goes one of two ways:

1) Each skill is on a long enough timer that you can use every skill and then wait for all your recasts to come back up. That's boring because then there's really not much choice to make in the timing of your attacks. You never have to make decisions about which abilities to use, because they're always the same: you use them all. You activate them all when they're up, and that's usually the best strategy (or at most, wait til a few are up that you regularly combo).

2) Each skill is on a short timer and you're mashing buttons constantly. You barely have time to scratch your nuts, let alone talk to other players.

If this were a high strategy or high action game, neither of those is inherently a problem. But it's not really either... it's just a little bit of both. So in my mind, it's going to be really hard to keep it engaging if the player attack patterns aren't paced really well. Otherwise you have the general combat boredom of FFXI, or the combat burnout of GW2.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#16 Dec 06 2012 at 7:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I'm beginning to think you can't ever be pleased Kachi Smiley: tongue
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#17 Dec 06 2012 at 7:14 AM Rating: Good
*
90 posts
Very excited about this release, I to don't like the large red circle around the target. Of course it's meant to show the direction of the mob but traditionally we would just look at the direction it's facing.


#18 Dec 06 2012 at 7:17 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Kachi wrote:
Otherwise you have the general combat boredom of the Final Fantasy franchise


ftfy

The graphics look good, the story and setting is shaping up nicely, and the soundtrack fits. And you can do stuff in a group.

All in all, it's a Final Fantasy game and from what it seems, of good quality.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#19 Dec 06 2012 at 7:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Wint wrote:
I'm beginning to think you can't ever be pleased Kachi Smiley: tongue


I never think it's good enough until it's done my way. And then I look and say, "Oh lord... what have I done?"

Really, I just want to see something the least bit innovative that follows the basic science of fun. Design is not as difficult or resource-consuming as development. I don't think it's too much to ask that a gaming giant like SE do a bit better than make a prettier version of the generic MMO. Especially when even the generic MMO is easily ruined by simple design oversights, and by the same token, made infinitely better by simple fixes.

I complain because I would really like to see SE's resurgence as the titan of RPGs.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#20 Dec 06 2012 at 8:13 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Kachi wrote:
Really, I just want to see something the least bit innovative that follows the basic science of fun. Design is not as difficult or resource-consuming as development.


MMO design is hard though. There are simply so many more factors to take into account that do not apply to normal game development. Mainly, the community and it's reaction to even the smallest of design changes.

Plus the freedom that MMO's demand, that go against designers' best interests. How can you take all the factors into account when the design is so loose in the first place? You let the community do what they want, and they will find a loophole around your design.

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 5:16pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#21 Dec 06 2012 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
22 posts
@kachi

lets take an example of a fight against a goblin, based on FFXI behave, he at some point in fight drops a bomb. assuming like in FFXI you can "shield bash" or other stun skill in FFIV to stop the drop, with your skill stack, how would you time it ?

I hate button smash, but also skill stack. It turns a player into a robot ;)
#22 Dec 06 2012 at 8:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Really, I just want to see something the least bit innovative that follows the basic science of fun. Design is not as difficult or resource-consuming as development.


MMO design is hard though. There are simply so many more factors to take into account that do not apply to normal game development. Mainly, the community and it's reaction to even the smallest of design changes.

Plus the freedom that MMO's demand, that go against designers' best interests. How can you take all the factors into account when the design is so loose in the first place? You let the community do what they want, and they will find a loophole around your design.

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 5:16pm by Hyanmen


I wouldn't say it's easy. It's certainly the hardest medium of gaming to design for. But it's also not a young genre anymore... it's not like these game designs are built from scratch these days. The problems are mostly the same as they've ever been, and the solutions have been there for a fair while. But designers act like they're just ordering off a menu, and if they pick the "right items" then they'll make the game "correctly." All they're really accomplishing is making something too much like every other game. This genre is too young to be as stagnant as it is.

cormer wrote:
@kachi

lets take an example of a fight against a goblin, based on FFXI behave, he at some point in fight drops a bomb. assuming like in FFXI you can "shield bash" or other stun skill in FFIV to stop the drop, with your skill stack, how would you time it ?

I hate button smash, but also skill stack. It turns a player into a robot ;)


If you're talking about the queuing system I proposed, that would be simple. If you select a command other than one you've queued up, then your queue is cancelled and you execute that command.

If you're just saying that you like those kinds of abilities in general, I agree. It's too bad FFXI had so few of them, and FFXIV doesn't look much better.

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 6:48am by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#23 Dec 06 2012 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
HaibaneRenmei wrote:
Very excited about this release, I to don't like the large red circle around the target. Of course it's meant to show the direction of the mob but traditionally we would just look at the direction it's facing.


I actually vote in favor of the circle 'thingy'. It is a one stop shop for directionality, current hate level and targeting.

No more questioning if you are behind the mob or to the side, etc... No separate menu for aggro you just look right at the monster and red blinking, red, yellow or green. And you know which monster you have selected.
____________________________



#24 Dec 06 2012 at 9:33 AM Rating: Decent
*
54 posts
The thing is though, if you haven't played every single MMORPG in existence, this is different and innovative. Sure, it may copy styles from other MMORPGs that are out there, but to those of us that don't play WoW or GW2 or (insert mmorpg of choice here), this is going to be a good Final Fantasy MMORPG with good MMORPG mechanics.
#25 Dec 06 2012 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
16 posts
I'm disappointed with the combat, the auto attack needs to play a bigger roll seems like you can choose strong attacks too often. I might be wrong but it looks too dumbed down.
#26 Dec 06 2012 at 10:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Turok1985 wrote:
I'm disappointed with the combat, the auto attack needs to play a bigger roll seems like you can choose strong attacks too often. I might be wrong but it looks too dumbed down.


No.

And don't insult bread again.

~~

The only thing I'm disheartened about so far is the interrupt mechanics ala FFXI. Seems rather dark-aged and pointlessly annoying.
#27 Dec 06 2012 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Kachi wrote:

I wouldn't say it's easy. It's certainly the hardest medium of gaming to design for. But it's also not a young genre anymore... it's not like these game designs are built from scratch these days. The problems are mostly the same as they've ever been, and the solutions have been there for a fair while. But designers act like they're just ordering off a menu, and if they pick the "right items" then they'll make the game "correctly." All they're really accomplishing is making something too much like every other game. This genre is too young to be as stagnant as it is.


I don't know about the "solutions" being ignored. That sounds a bit weird to do, especially for the professionals.

I really doubt that any solution doesn't come with it's own faults and flaws, nor that the current design with their problems are not without their upsides, too. Any new idea should be a hard sell, and I'm sure an able designer can point out the definite flaws in each of them.

It's not a defeatist attitude, but sadly realistic. For a single person it's really hard to take everything into account in MMO game design, and even if the idea gets implemented, the playerbase will ruthlessly pinpoint and abuse every mistake the designer(s) overlooked.

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 7:51pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#28 Dec 06 2012 at 10:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
You coming to Durandal with us Viertel? I can't remember if you were there with us during 1.0 or not.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#29 Dec 06 2012 at 11:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Banwawgwa wrote:
Ahh! I love those chat bubbles :P. And caster combat does indeed look much nicer than it was. However, I am not crazy about the big red circle around enemies you are fighting and what was with that rotating arrow? I think that simple arrow ma-bob over the enemy is perfectly sufficient to get the point across that you are targeting it... Oh well it is not a game breaker, but something we could go without.


the chat bubbles look cheap/ugly to me. like they are too big, or the font is too big/wrong, or the color is off, or they just look photoshopped on top of the game world or....idk. it just doesnt look finished. ofc its alpha so im hoping some polish will get in there. same goes for the item windows. just looks very MSpaint at the moment. or like some low budget F2P title back when F2P really did mean lower quality.

i like how the combat is looking. sort of. it somehow reminds me more of FFXI and im not sure why. but i already miss the positional requirements for combos :/ i guess really the combat wasnt that exciting, but i continue to love the look of the new art style/engine. and targeting looks to be much improved. the gigantic arrows and circles....idk. seemed like something that will most likely be toned down.

LOVE the FFXI style map, and its great that the shroud is totally revamped (i know, we knew it would be, but to see the map was nice), and iliked the little nugget of lore about Tam Tara Deepcroft.

not a fan of the quest complete music, hoping they are going to at least use the traditional FF battle won theme for level up.

SE wheres mah invite.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#30 Dec 06 2012 at 11:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I liked the quest bubbles myself, I thought they looked really good. Strange how people react to various things.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#31 Dec 06 2012 at 11:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Kachi wrote:
:/ Hate to be the downer, but it looks like a pretty solid take on standard MMO combat, which is not an insult, but not a compliment either.

My biggest complaint is the 2-3 second command input. What makes GW2 tolerable is that you can slam your command buttons really fast. 2-3 seconds between inputting a command is exactly enough time to be boring and exactly NOT enough time to do anything else, like talk to another player. It's fine if they miraculously make it some highly strategic game where that time is spent figuring out your next move, but I'm 99% confident that this won't be the case.

So again, I'd really like to be able to queue up 3 or 4 attacks (and to be able to change what I queued). Then when I am fighting something boring, I can at least talk to other people.


Also, please note he/she is fighting things about 5-6 levels LOWER than the characters level, and almost dying (50% hp after 1 fight is almost dying IMO)

The TP regen is pretty good, it looks like it is gained at a rate similar to if you were meleeing for TP, which is good.

I feel like, if they let you hit all your buttons without a GCD, it would be too easy, since you start the fight with a full TP bar.
____________________________


#32 Dec 06 2012 at 11:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Kachi wrote:
:/ Hate to be the downer, but it looks like a pretty solid take on standard MMO combat, which is not an insult, but not a compliment either.

My biggest complaint is the 2-3 second command input. What makes GW2 tolerable is that you can slam your command buttons really fast. 2-3 seconds between inputting a command is exactly enough time to be boring and exactly NOT enough time to do anything else, like talk to another player. It's fine if they miraculously make it some highly strategic game where that time is spent figuring out your next move, but I'm 99% confident that this won't be the case.

So again, I'd really like to be able to queue up 3 or 4 attacks (and to be able to change what I queued). Then when I am fighting something boring, I can at least talk to other people.



for a game like this, i think a moderate queue system would be appropriate and fun. what i like about gw2 is actually the fact that they DO have a small skill queue mechanic. just enough to keep a second ahead of the action. you can basically queue one move ahead of yourself. swtor has a similar mechanic (that you can actually adjust the timing of....why is this feature not in all mmos?)

and speaking of auto attack...its kind of funny how mmo combat has become faster and faster paced, rendering auto attack mostly meaningless (the whole point of autoattack, i assume, was to make it easy to chat during battle...but mmo combat is generally so fast paced nowadays, you cant chat much in battle anyway, AA or no AA) its really kind of a dinosaur mechanic imo. i see why games like GW2 still use it (facilitates better more consistent dps....which i think is silly for a number of reasons)

at any rate, i'm glad to see less of an emphasis on AA in this footage. i'd be sad that they are sticking with the ancient MMO combat style of standing in one spot beating on the mob, but i already knew that was going to be the case. tbh, after all this analysis, im starting to realize that, maybe the quality of combat in this game isnt as important to me as i thought it was. just like XI, i suspect it will be the game world and people in it that decide the fate of my sub fee.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#33 Dec 06 2012 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Wint wrote:
I liked the quest bubbles myself, I thought they looked really good. Strange how people react to various things.


yup, sure makes me feel bad for the devs lol.

what annoys me more than the chat bubbles though, is the fact that I can't put my finger on exactly what annoys me about the chat bubbles!!!


maybe that means i secretly like them. /sigh
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#34 Dec 06 2012 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Yeah I don't envy the devs, trying to cater to so many different preferences has to be maddening. At some point you just have to put your foot down and say "Nope, this is what it looks like, get over it."
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#35 Dec 06 2012 at 12:28 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
:: Sigh :: Watching that video has kinda let me down. After all the talk about a faster more fluid combat system, it still seems relatively slow. I know that all of this is subject to change, but I just dunno =\. The caster combat seemed to be even more slow, I didn't like how you had to wait so long to start working on your next spell, maybe I wrong? maybe I should watch it again...I dunno. I guess I was jumping ahead on whim thinking the combat was gonna be smooth and fast like Tera...or ****...even GW2. All in all though, I guess this IS a Final Fantasy game and combat like Tera wouldn't really fit. Hmm..I dunno! I'm conflicted! I'm just gonna shut up now....-_-;;

P.S. I AM glad however it's not that clunky horrible system that FFXIV was introduced with! Still 110% excited for this game! Come to me my child! haha

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 1:29pm by BustU2
#36 Dec 06 2012 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Quote:
Yeah I don't envy the devs, trying to cater to so many different preferences has to be maddening. At some point you just have to put your foot down and say "Nope, this is what it looks like, get over it."


no doubt. in fact i'd venture to say that devs (ok, devs that dont work for SE) in general need to do a little more foot-putting-down. this new age of putting player feedback on a pedestal is starting to get out of hand imo. not saying they shouldn't listen. just saying they'd better **** well have a strong vision, and then balance that out with catering to player feedback.

yoshi appears to be riding that line pretty ably so far, so good on him. i certainly cant accuse that guy of having no vision.

Quote:
Watching that video has kinda let me down. After all the talk about a faster more fluid combat system, it still seems relatively slow. I know that all of this is subject to change, but I just dunno =\. The caster combat seemed to be even more slow, I didn't like how you had to wait so long to start working on your next spell, maybe I wrong?


im 99.999% sure that the person playing in that vid was quite purposefully making slow, methodical movements and clicking (he was clicking. on his action bar. yoshi knows most people dont play like that. but having keybinds wouldnt have been as effective of a demo) because yoshi wanted to make sure we could see exactly how the UI and combat works. the video was a demonstration, not a capture of someone actually playing the game for reals.

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 1:37pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#37 Dec 06 2012 at 1:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
The shared timers contribute to the slowness I think, which is the only downside I see to them. It seems to me you should be able to cast one spell while another is cooling off, but maybe that will change. If not I'll learn to live with it. Also I think the battles were slow because this person isn't but 7 levels above the mobs, which would be an even longer fight in XI I think.

I hear you Llester about putting the foot down, unfortunately they have to somehow prove to the fanbase that they're on the right track this time around. I really wish they hadn't fouled 1.0 up so badly.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#38 Dec 06 2012 at 2:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Wint wrote:
The shared timers contribute to the slowness I think, which is the only downside I see to them. It seems to me you should be able to cast one spell while another is cooling off, but maybe that will change. If not I'll learn to live with it. Also I think the battles were slow because this person isn't but 7 levels above the mobs, which would be an even longer fight in XI I think.

I hear you Llester about putting the foot down, unfortunately they have to somehow prove to the fanbase that they're on the right track this time around. I really wish they hadn't fouled 1.0 up so badly.


Ouch, i didn't notice that at first. They apparently introduced a global cooldown, which is fine and appropriate, but it does seem like rather a long global cooldown . Hmmm. Gee i sure could use an Alpha invite so i could see it firsthand and give feedback! Blargh.

Totally agree, Wint. In the case of SE, catering to the fanbase was the smart (read: only) move. Its funny because Tanaka always seemed to embody the "uncompromising visionary" attitude. He had that part down pat. I actually sort of admired him for it, because I've always believed that it is the game developer's job to know what makes a good game.

This "listening to fans with no education in game design" business always seemed a bit strange to me. Sort of like commissioning a painting and then standing over the artists' shoulder telling her to "put a tree there" or "don't use so much red". But times change. Fans are waaaay more savvy than we used to be (ty internet), and several someones at SE arrived late to that particular party.



Edited, Dec 6th 2012 3:46pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#39 Dec 06 2012 at 2:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Llester wrote:
This "listening to fans with no education in game design" business always seemed a bit strange to me. Sort of like commissioning a painting and then standing over the artists' shoulder telling her to "put a tree there" or "don't use so much red". But times change. Fans are waaaay more savvy than we used to be (ty internet), and several someones at SE arrived late to that particular party.



I'm reminded of this:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#40 Dec 06 2012 at 2:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
omg brilliant. still loling.

"It needs to be less liney"
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#41 Dec 06 2012 at 2:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Llester wrote:
omg brilliant. still loling.

"It needs to be less liney"


If you've never read The Oatmeal before you're in for a fun afternoon.

My personal favorite:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/brain
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#42 Dec 06 2012 at 3:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
Viertel wrote:
Turok1985 wrote:
I'm disappointed with the combat, the auto attack needs to play a bigger roll seems like you can choose strong attacks too often. I might be wrong but it looks too dumbed down.


No.

And don't insult bread again.

~~

The only thing I'm disheartened about so far is the interrupt mechanics ala FFXI. Seems rather dark-aged and pointlessly annoying.


You do know you could be interrupted in XIV 1.0, right? Or did you actually just not play it? It does suck SE implemented risks during battle, I agree. A mage chanting a spell should NOT be interrupted by getting their face beat in.

>.>
#43 Dec 06 2012 at 3:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Quote:


If you've never read The Oatmeal before you're in for a fun afternoon.

My personal favorite:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/brain




yes, its clear that i will not be getting anything done for the next hour at least. thanks. thanks a lot.


then again, who cares, either way i'm not playing alpha *wah waahhhhhh*


edit: and now im about to donate money that i shouldnt be spending to the Tesla Museum Fund. goddamnit. this oatmeal fellow just became my hero.


edit again: nevermind, they already got way more funding than they needed! sweet! Tesla Museum goooooooooooo!

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 4:03pm by Llester

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 4:44pm by Llester

Edited, Dec 6th 2012 4:45pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#44 Dec 06 2012 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Viertel wrote:
Turok1985 wrote:
I'm disappointed with the combat, the auto attack needs to play a bigger roll seems like you can choose strong attacks too often. I might be wrong but it looks too dumbed down.


No.

And don't insult bread again.

~~

The only thing I'm disheartened about so far is the interrupt mechanics ala FFXI. Seems rather dark-aged and pointlessly annoying.


You do know you could be interrupted in XIV 1.0, right? Or did you actually just not play it? It does suck SE implemented risks during battle, I agree. A mage chanting a spell should NOT be interrupted by getting their face beat in.

>.>



agree. not with the part about caring whether or not he played 1.0 (cause really, who cares), but yeah i for one am glad that mechanic is still in XIV.

on that note, i really miss the skill (yes, skill!) involved in keeping utsusemi up while getting face stomped by, say, Charybdis at 75 cap, with no bard present.



____________________________
monk
dragoon

#45 Dec 06 2012 at 3:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Add me to the list of those in favor of interrupts. I was glad that made it in.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#46 Dec 06 2012 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,649 posts
I have no issues with the direction they're taking this at the moment. Get your foot in the door first, then we'll start talking about the advanced innovations of the combat system.
____________________________

#47 Dec 06 2012 at 4:29 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Wint wrote:
You coming to Durandal with us Viertel? I can't remember if you were there with us during 1.0 or not.


Hrm, hit me up with a PM later on closer to launch time. I had planned on checking it out again as it's looking interesting and much more fun (even at a glance) than Mists of Dailies.

I played a bit on 1.0 on Mysidia (mainly due to an invite from a LGBT linkshell) but didn't get further than level 22. I planned on making a male Mi'quote anyway so it wouldn't be a hardship to start over on another server.

Theonehio wrote:
You do know you could be interrupted in XIV 1.0, right? Or did you actually just not play it? It does suck SE implemented risks during battle, I agree. A mage chanting a spell should NOT be interrupted by getting their face beat in.

>.>


There's a major difference between a flat out annoying mechanic (complete spell interruption) and a penalty for getting hit in combat (timer increase when struck in combat).
#48 Dec 06 2012 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
Wint wrote:
You coming to Durandal with us Viertel? I can't remember if you were there with us during 1.0 or not.


We might be changing Wint... depends how the servers are split up?
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#49 Dec 06 2012 at 6:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Well everyone wants to play their old chars and nobody can transfer when the game is launched so hopefully there is a way to manage that.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#50 Dec 06 2012 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
General thoughts:

The game looks like it should have.

I get a feeling of atmosphere and I'm not even playing.

The music is already (sorry Uematsu) way better...(even in the other clips I've watched).

Questing looks, well like every other MMO. I understand that SE basically had to move heaven and earth to just get this far but I'd love to see some sort of public quests like Rifts or like in GW2. A public behest would be awesome.

Combat too looks...bland. I can't put my finger on it. I'll have to wait until more video comes out (and to play it) to make a decision though. I don't need to be running and jumping around, if the abilities are cool and combat is rewarding in other ways; and I can effectively deal with adds, then I'll be fine with it.
#51 Dec 06 2012 at 9:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I honestly think the shared timers are what makes it feel bland and not dynamic. Having to wait for the timer to reset before casting your next spell seems like a mistake to me, but I'll wait until I can try it myself to see. I'm sure they'll be tweaking things all along the way.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)