Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Getting a class to 50. How long?Follow

#1 Dec 26 2012 at 12:06 AM Rating: Good
2 posts
Hey guys. I can probably guess that this question has been asked a million times, and the few days that I've been lurking these forums, I may have even seen this question answered. I just haven't been able to find it again/at all.

I'm a long time MMO player, though I never played FFXI. I played Ultima Online until WoW came out, then I rode the up-and-coming MMO train ever since (going into a newly released MMO, getting max level, getting bored, quit and move on). I'm pretty tired of that honestly. I'm not really looking for an MMO that takes 1-2 months to complete all of the content/achieve "top tier" character. I'd like to have a game that I can work at for a while and actually give myself the time to meet people and find groups to play with, rather than grind quests by myself for 3 weeks and sit in the main city on my own for 1 before quitting. It's made me very cynical towards newer MMOs.

I'm aware that ARR is going to be drastically different from 1.0, but for those who played and reached 50 in a skill/multiple skills, how much time did you put in to achieve that?

(X amount of hours per day for Y Amount of days/weeks?)

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Happy Holidays!
#2 Dec 26 2012 at 1:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
We know a lot of information about FFXIV but, sadly, all of the most important information -- chiefly the amount of engaging content -- we have no idea about.

It would be safe to say that leveling will be a pretty standard experience when compared to most post-WoW MMORPGs. Simple quests that provide a wall of text, a rudimentary task, a chunk of experience, and one of two selectable rewards will be plentiful and standard (whether from NPCs or as guildleves). We know that there will be fairly typical instanced raids, so you can make of that what you will. But we also know that there will be a chocobo-raising system and a housing system, which may provide a reasonable amount of side hobbies.

Approaching the question as objectively as I can, I would say that, in FFXIV, you will probably have to work harder to achieve a "top-tier" character than in WoW, if for no other reason than the fact that you'll need other classes leveled for cherry-picking useful skills. In 1.0, seasoned players could take a few months (it varied widely between, maybe, 2 - 6 months) and really do just about everything important in the game. I never reached 50 in multiple classes, so take what I say with a grain of rock salt (my only noteworthy levels were a Pugilist ~40, a Thaumaturge ~30, and an Alchemist ~25, which in my opinion was more than enough). In that there are many classes in FFXIV, there is a lot of "content," but I think we need to distinguish between "content as engaging or varied activities that make you want to keep playing," and "content as repetitive stuff that, while not particularly appealing or variegated, can be done."

Ultimately we don't know the longevity of FFXIV because it's not officially "reborn." We can logically infer, though, not only from developer descriptions and videos, but from 1.0, that the game will feature many casual-friendly elements. As of this moment, there is little reason to think that FFXIV will be (re)released with a year's worth of challenging content waiting to be explored. However, it will quite likely necessitate somewhat more investment than the ~1-2 months that many fantasy-themed, genre-standard MMORPGs require of their dedicated players.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#3 Dec 26 2012 at 7:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I will try to find it later but I know it was stated that it will take longer to get to cap in 2.0 than 1.0.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#4 Dec 26 2012 at 8:23 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I think they said 10 hours to get from 1-15? Which sounds way to long, so maybe I'm misremembering.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#5 Dec 26 2012 at 9:08 AM Rating: Good
****
4,957 posts
ZoxxTearshorn wrote:
Hey guys. I can probably guess that this question has been asked a million times, and the few days that I've been lurking these forums, I may have even seen this question answered. I just haven't been able to find it again/at all.

I'm a long time MMO player, though I never played FFXI. I played Ultima Online until WoW came out, then I rode the up-and-coming MMO train ever since (going into a newly released MMO, getting max level, getting bored, quit and move on). I'm pretty tired of that honestly. I'm not really looking for an MMO that takes 1-2 months to complete all of the content/achieve "top tier" character. I'd like to have a game that I can work at for a while and actually give myself the time to meet people and find groups to play with, rather than grind quests by myself for 3 weeks and sit in the main city on my own for 1 before quitting. It's made me very cynical towards newer MMOs.

I'm aware that ARR is going to be drastically different from 1.0, but for those who played and reached 50 in a skill/multiple skills, how much time did you put in to achieve that?

(X amount of hours per day for Y Amount of days/weeks?)

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Happy Holidays!



go play FFXI then you definitely wont be doin everything in 1-3 weeks in that.. or even 1-2 months lol.. sure its way easier now than it was then but Im sure its still requires way more work and timesinks than this game will
#6 Dec 26 2012 at 9:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
catwho wrote:
I think they said 10 hours to get from 1-15? Which sounds way to long, so maybe I'm misremembering.


20-30 hours stated to go to about level 20 which is just right, but I did catch your sarcasm in this post.

#7 Dec 26 2012 at 1:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
We know a lot of information about FFXIV but, sadly, all of the most important information -- chiefly the amount of engaging content -- we have no idea about.

It would be safe to say that leveling will be a pretty standard experience when compared to most post-WoW MMORPGs. Simple quests that provide a wall of text, a rudimentary task, a chunk of experience, and one of two selectable rewards will be plentiful and standard (whether from NPCs or as guildleves). We know that there will be fairly typical instanced raids, so you can make of that what you will. But we also know that there will be a chocobo-raising system and a housing system, which may provide a reasonable amount of side hobbies.

Approaching the question as objectively as I can, I would say that, in FFXIV, you will probably have to work harder to achieve a "top-tier" character than in WoW, if for no other reason than the fact that you'll need other classes leveled for cherry-picking useful skills. In 1.0, seasoned players could take a few months (it varied widely between, maybe, 2 - 6 months) and really do just about everything important in the game. I never reached 50 in multiple classes, so take what I say with a grain of rock salt (my only noteworthy levels were a Pugilist ~40, a Thaumaturge ~30, and an Alchemist ~25, which in my opinion was more than enough). In that there are many classes in FFXIV, there is a lot of "content," but I think we need to distinguish between "content as engaging or varied activities that make you want to keep playing," and "content as repetitive stuff that, while not particularly appealing or variegated, can be done."

Ultimately we don't know the longevity of FFXIV because it's not officially "reborn." We can logically infer, though, not only from developer descriptions and videos, but from 1.0, that the game will feature many casual-friendly elements. As of this moment, there is little reason to think that FFXIV will be (re)released with a year's worth of challenging content waiting to be explored. However, it will quite likely necessitate somewhat more investment than the ~1-2 months that many fantasy-themed, genre-standard MMORPGs require of their dedicated players.


KaneKitty is correct. We really don't know enough about ARR to really be able to give a firm answer to your question. There was a rough quote by Yoshi at some point, but I didn't pay close enough attention to that at the time. I think others are right when they say something about 30 hours to get to level 20. I remember a 3 in there somewhere. lol You might try watching the 4th live letter from the producer. It's possible that's where he mentioned it, but even if it isn't, you'll see lots of neat things involving ARR.
____________________________
#8 Dec 26 2012 at 1:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
We know a lot of information about FFXIV but, sadly, all of the most important information -- chiefly the amount of engaging content -- we have no idea about.

It would be safe to say that leveling will be a pretty standard experience when compared to most post-WoW MMORPGs. Simple quests that provide a wall of text, a rudimentary task, a chunk of experience, and one of two selectable rewards will be plentiful and standard (whether from NPCs or as guildleves). We know that there will be fairly typical instanced raids, so you can make of that what you will. But we also know that there will be a chocobo-raising system and a housing system, which may provide a reasonable amount of side hobbies.

Approaching the question as objectively as I can, I would say that, in FFXIV, you will probably have to work harder to achieve a "top-tier" character than in WoW, if for no other reason than the fact that you'll need other classes leveled for cherry-picking useful skills. In 1.0, seasoned players could take a few months (it varied widely between, maybe, 2 - 6 months) and really do just about everything important in the game. I never reached 50 in multiple classes, so take what I say with a grain of rock salt (my only noteworthy levels were a Pugilist ~40, a Thaumaturge ~30, and an Alchemist ~25, which in my opinion was more than enough). In that there are many classes in FFXIV, there is a lot of "content," but I think we need to distinguish between "content as engaging or varied activities that make you want to keep playing," and "content as repetitive stuff that, while not particularly appealing or variegated, can be done."

Ultimately we don't know the longevity of FFXIV because it's not officially "reborn." We can logically infer, though, not only from developer descriptions and videos, but from 1.0, that the game will feature many casual-friendly elements. As of this moment, there is little reason to think that FFXIV will be (re)released with a year's worth of challenging content waiting to be explored. However, it will quite likely necessitate somewhat more investment than the ~1-2 months that many fantasy-themed, genre-standard MMORPGs require of their dedicated players.


This is an awesome post. You get 5 rate ups from me.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#9 Dec 26 2012 at 10:48 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Thanks for the reply, everyone! That sounds like pretty good scaling to me if that's the direction they choose to go.

Best wishes for the new year :)
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)