Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Questions for players who stayed until the end of v1.0Follow

#1 Dec 27 2012 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Heya guys, been awhile. Good to see some old friends popping up on the forums lately. I hope that some of the veterans who stuck with FFXIV v1.0 to the end could answer some questions. I realize these may or may not apply to V2.0.

1.) Did they ever remove the power-leveling system where a lvl 50 could chain a huge group of enemies for a lower level party? Last I saw, they tried to fix this but there was still work-around by dropping party.
2.) Did they ever create a more user friendly targeting system (for controller especially) or is it still A, B, C targeting systems with the toggle "Enemy, All and Party" options? The up/down targeting in the party list was improvement. Except last I saw it was glitchy, prone to getting stuck and highlighting the wrong member.
3.) Did they ever improve the client patcher/downloader?
4.) Did they ever improve payment options?

I really need a game that is:
First - Easy to download and patch (IMO, if the patcher requires port forwarding to operate then the game is a failure)
Second - Easy to setup recurring payments
Third - Easy to correctly target enemies and allies
Fourth - does not reduce the pool of players looking for regular exp parties through widespread powerleveling

I am really struggling to get excited about v2.0. I would love to somehow verify that at least 3/4 of these essential MMO gaming basics have been succesfully addressed. I don't expect v2.0 to be succesful at all if the patcher and payment options are not improved. Also, provide user friendly targeting or perish. The extent of Powerleveling availability is a preference thing, I just want to know if there were any changes in the final days.

I will surely be asking this same set of questions after the NDA is lifted from the current v2.0 Alpha/Beta testing.
#2 Dec 27 2012 at 2:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Heya guys, been awhile. Good to see some old friends popping up on the forums lately. I hope that some of the veterans who stuck with FFXIV v1.0 to the end could answer some questions. I realize these may or may not apply to V2.0.

1.) Did they ever remove the power-leveling system where a lvl 50 could chain a huge group of enemies for a lower level party? Last I saw, they tried to fix this but there was still work-around by dropping party.
2.) Did they ever create a more user friendly targeting system (for controller especially) or is it still A, B, C targeting systems with the toggle "Enemy, All and Party" options? The up/down targeting in the party list was improvement. Except last I saw it was glitchy, prone to getting stuck and highlighting the wrong member.
3.) Did they ever improve the client patcher/downloader?
4.) Did they ever improve payment options?

I really need a game that is:
First - Easy to download and patch (IMO, if the patcher requires port forwarding to operate then the game is a failure)
Second - Easy to setup recurring payments
Third - Easy to correctly target enemies and allies
Fourth - does not reduce the pool of players looking for regular exp parties through widespread powerleveling

I am really struggling to get excited about v2.0. I would love to somehow verify that at least 3/4 of these essential MMO gaming basics have been succesfully addressed. I don't expect v2.0 to be succesful at all if the patcher and payment options are not improved. Also, provide user friendly targeting or perish. The extent of Powerleveling availability is a preference thing, I just want to know if there were any changes in the final days.

I will surely be asking this same set of questions after the NDA is lifted from the current v2.0 Alpha/Beta testing.


1.) Not sure, we don't really know much about the XP system yet, other than it will supposedly take longer to reach cap than it did in 1.0.
2.) Not sure yet, the controller testing is Phase 3 of the beta. From the videos I've seen it doesn't have those toggle items anymroe though.
3.) Yes
4.) Yep, you can pay directly with a CC now instead of crysta or click and buy.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Dec 27 2012 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Wint you just made my day! :)

The patcher and payment options were the essential items that I feel prevented many potential players from even getting logged into FFXIV.

This is great news. Excitement +10.

Thanks man.
#4 Dec 27 2012 at 2:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
1) As of the end of 1.23 on November 11, 2012 you could still power level lower level characters by having a lvl 50 person train mobs and then drop party. This was working as it was intended after they changed it when people were complaining about it. Not sure why it's such a big deal, but I guess lots of people don't like it.

2) Personally, I never used a gamepad. I can't answer this. As far as I know, it was still the same 3 types of targeting. I know the keyboard and mouse users had those 3. I'm assuming it's the same for the gamepad users. When 2.0 launches, there will be a separate UI for gamepad users and keyboard/mouse users. If you do some digging on google, you shouldn't have much of an issue finding pictures of those that have been released.

3) Yes they did. I wouldn't expect any issues with that. I never really had any issues outside of not being patient enough to wait for it to download the patch and wait for it to install.

4) As Wint said, yes. You can now pay them directly instead of having to use click and buy.
____________________________
#5 Dec 27 2012 at 3:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
82 posts
I used a PS3 controller up until the last year when they started asking for subscriptions. I think I messed with the in-game targeting scheme once before getting frustrated and using the D-pad to target like in FFXI on the PS2. Aside from that, I never had any problems getting stuck, glitching, or anything for that matter. Played and felt just like it did in FFXI.
____________________________
FFXIV - Goblin - Seraphan Amatsuka
#6 Dec 27 2012 at 3:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Ah, good info to know Swisa.

I didn't really intend to debate powerleveling, but I will anyway. ;) I personally felt the widespread PL'ing really reduced the pool of people who would go do regular EXP parties. The real problem was not the PL'ing, but the fact that regular EXP'ing was not exactly satisfying for most. I just felt that passively allowing players to basically skip levels 1-35 with an hour or two of PL'ing was akin to admitting that those levels just weren't fun enough to play as intended.

After 35+ I had a good time with EXP parites in beastman camps. It was a kind of powerleveling - going with a couple 50's. At that point in the game I agree it was not really an issue.

Thanks for the idea about looking the new controller IU. I found exactly what you were referring to here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/32931/ps3-final-fantasy-xiv-screenshots-highlight-ui

Now that just looks awesome! I especially like:

"The UI will be fully customisable, allowing players to set up a button configuration perfect for their personal playing style; and has been designed with the traditional FINAL FANTASY game controls in mind to give the game a classic RPG feel, familiar to any PlayStation 3 RPG gamers."

This leads me to believe that targeting will also be re-designed to work well with the controller.

This is all excellent. Excitement +20.
#7 Dec 27 2012 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
swisa wrote:
1) As of the end of 1.23 on November 11, 2012 you could still power level lower level characters by having a lvl 50 person train mobs and then drop party. This was working as it was intended after they changed it when people were complaining about it. Not sure why it's such a big deal, but I guess lots of people don't like it.


This was working as intended, but they said it would be removed in 2.0. I think they just didn't want to scare even more people away. I know I leveled 2 jobs to 50 this way.. Not proud of it, didn't have fun, but it was so easy I couldn't resist.

____________________________


#8 Dec 27 2012 at 5:44 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Ah, good info to know Swisa.

I didn't really intend to debate powerleveling, but I will anyway. ;) I personally felt the widespread PL'ing really reduced the pool of people who would go do regular EXP parties. The real problem was not the PL'ing, but the fact that regular EXP'ing was not exactly satisfying for most. I just felt that passively allowing players to basically skip levels 1-35 with an hour or two of PL'ing was akin to admitting that those levels just weren't fun enough to play as intended.

After 35+ I had a good time with EXP parites in beastman camps. It was a kind of powerleveling - going with a couple 50's. At that point in the game I agree it was not really an issue.

Thanks for the idea about looking the new controller IU. I found exactly what you were referring to here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/32931/ps3-final-fantasy-xiv-screenshots-highlight-ui

Now that just looks awesome! I especially like:

"The UI will be fully customisable, allowing players to set up a button configuration perfect for their personal playing style; and has been designed with the traditional FINAL FANTASY game controls in mind to give the game a classic RPG feel, familiar to any PlayStation 3 RPG gamers."

This leads me to believe that targeting will also be re-designed to work well with the controller.

This is all excellent. Excitement +20.


Yup! Those are the pictures I was thinking about earlier. Hopefully they weren't too hard to find.

Your reasons for disliking power leveling are good points and understandable. Admittedly, the classes that I knew I wouldn't be playing like thaumaturge, conjurer, pugilist, and gladiator are all the ones I leveled through power leveling. I tried to level them a little bit by solo grinding levs, but it was too horrid once you get 25-30+ for me to continue. Once I got tired of that on 1 class, I just didn't level them until I found an LS mate PLing his alt or someone else in the LS. I just hopped a ride and kissed the dirt under their feet. Not to mention gave them all the valuable drops. Personally, I find MMO's awfully boring if I'm forced to do most of the content by myself. I don't play Massively MULTIPLAYER online rpg's to play by myself...

Quest grinding to level up, I think, will be a good addition even though it's something that I'll have to get used to doing. It's a good way to help players immerse themselves in the lore of the game and keep them occupied for awhile. Even the most mundane of quests can be interesting with enough story behind it. It's also just another way to level your character up instead of doing grind parties or solo grinding leves. I'd take quest grinding over solo grinding any day.
____________________________
#9 Dec 29 2012 at 6:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
588 posts
I think I read somewhere, maybe the new launch roadmap, they are revising the claim system but there haven't been many details on what the revisions are or what impact they will have on power leveling. Although, Yoshida has said in interviews that XP will be more quest based not so much camp and grind.

My thoughts if you car to read them;
In my opinion as long as the battle system is enjoyable either option should be viable.
____________________________



#10 Dec 30 2012 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
***
1,672 posts
Quote:
2.) Not sure yet, the controller testing is Phase 3 of the beta. From the videos I've seen it doesn't have those toggle items anymroe though.



Phase 3 names 'Controller adjustments' which leads me to believe that controller optionns will be implemented in phase 1 of the beta and beyond, and adjustments will be made when need be.

Edited, Dec 30th 2012 3:50pm by RippedApart
#11 Dec 30 2012 at 6:37 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts

Quote:

1.) Did they ever remove the power-leveling system where a lvl 50 could chain a huge group of enemies for a lower level party? Last I saw, they tried to fix this but there was still work-around by dropping party.


By the end of 1.0, they didn't. But 2.0 may have different mechanics.

Quote:

2.) Did they ever create a more user friendly targeting system (for controller especially) or is it still A, B, C targeting systems with the toggle "Enemy, All and Party" options? The up/down targeting in the party list was improvement. Except last I saw it was glitchy, prone to getting stuck and highlighting the wrong member.


No. They probably tried, but since the client was being shelved soon, it was more like a bandaid fix than a fundamental one.

Quote:

3.) Did they ever improve the client patcher/downloader?


No. But ARR uses an entirely different client and a completely new patcher. But 1.0's never changed throughout its lifetime.
Quote:

4.) Did they ever improve payment options?

Yes they did.



Edited, Dec 30th 2012 4:37pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#12 Dec 30 2012 at 8:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
2.0 eliminates the effectiveness of power leveling due to quest-orientated system and level sync. Mob grinding in general is just not as efficient as dungeon runs or quest exp. So you're golden there if you're worried about 1.0's power leveling effecting 2.0 gameplay.

I'm sure some people will figure out a way to exploit the system for best XP yield still, however, but that's just people looking for those First Order Operators. You really can't prevent all of them without scaring away people that way as well.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)