Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Character movement...Follow

#1 Dec 27 2012 at 5:05 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
6 posts
Anybody have any idea if they intend to clean up the character movement? Like in the older version the movement of your character was very fluid. The slight move forward when stopping from running, the smoothness of taking out weapons; everything movement-wise looked great. I know ARR is still somewhat unfinished, but that's why I'm asking; does anyone think that'll be changed?

Right now ARR just looks like most other MMOs movement-wise. Things still look good but...It's just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to MMOs...

Edited, Dec 28th 2012 12:42am by LeeChaolan
#2 Dec 27 2012 at 5:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Why are we talking in hard-to-read-colors?
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#3 Dec 27 2012 at 11:46 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
6 posts
Kachi wrote:
Why are we talking in hard-to-read-colors?

Sorry. I changed that.
#4 Dec 27 2012 at 11:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
Well it's still in the alpha phase, so we'll see later on. Movement has never bugged me in any MMO, so I may not have noticed, but honestly, it seemed fine to me...at least they weren't running and flailing their arms around
#5 Dec 27 2012 at 11:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,702 posts
The control style? No. The animations themselves? Yeah when they add blending it MAY improve..otherwise they ********** it for PvP play.
#6 Dec 27 2012 at 11:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
Theonehio wrote:
The control style? No. The animations themselves? Yeah when they add blending it MAY improve..otherwise they sh*ttified it for PvP play.


There's PVP now? :P But we'll see...remember that it'll have to be balanced around both ps3 and PC, so I can expect some problems at first...unless they manage to nail keyboard and controller movement perfectly
#7 Dec 27 2012 at 11:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
They changed it for a number of reasons, PvP most likely being the primary one. But i suspect they wanted the game to control "tighter" overall. I do miss the more fluid, mo-cap animations a bit, but I'd rather play a tight game.

Also, yes, they still have not added all the blending animations.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#8 Dec 27 2012 at 11:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
Guess we'll all see during the open beta months from now, if the animations are still a bit odd, it doesn't bug me too much, but for others, it just might. I'm actually move worried about PS3 performance more than anything, especially when it comes to PVP and movement.
#9 Dec 28 2012 at 12:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
ah the mythical PS3 version. who knows? lol
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#10 Dec 28 2012 at 12:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
Llester wrote:
ah the mythical PS3 version. who knows? lol


Yup, because it didn't have over a year to grow, that's my main focus, to the point where I'll only be testing the PS3 version, if I get lucky and get in (or when the open beta starts). The movements and all that will need to be fluid on both, which will be interesting. I still can't believe that we're FINALLY getting the ps3 version after all this time :P
#11 Dec 28 2012 at 12:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
i know, I remember all the vagueness and flat-out lies surrounding the 1.0 PS3 release. I can only imagine what state it actually was in when they finally threw the towel in.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#12 Dec 28 2012 at 12:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
Yeah, I was actually hoping for the ps3 release back in...2010 was it? I'm kinda glad that they held off on it until the game was playable. I can't wait for the testing phase so that I can actually help in the bug busting in that, since it's my version of choice, due to my PC not being the best around, and me wanting a ps3 MMO helps too, since the ones out right now aren't that great, and EQOA for the ps2 is sadly, dead
#13 Dec 28 2012 at 7:13 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
6 posts
Also what about chocobo riding, spell casting, ranged attacks, jumping(which looks very ugly right now -__-), and emotes? I really hope every race will have their own unique styles like in XI when it comes to these things. I don't know about you guys but details like these in an MMO are part of the reason I keep playing and look forward to turning the game on.
#14 Dec 28 2012 at 7:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
LeeChaolan wrote:
Also what about chocobo riding, spell casting, ranged attacks, jumping(which looks very ugly right now -__-), and emotes? I really hope every race will have their own unique styles like in XI when it comes to these things. I don't know about you guys but details like these in an MMO are part of the reason I keep playing and look forward to turning the game on.


Jumping is fine. Motions will be cleaned up and I'm almost positive there will be emotes, I could have sworn I saw them in one of the official alpha videos. If you watch all of the alpha videos you will see examples of each of the things you mention here.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1354475120292748441
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#15 Dec 28 2012 at 8:29 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
PS3 is an utter ***** to program, so sayeth my friend with the master in CS who lives in Kyoto and programs for the PS3 for a living.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#16 Dec 28 2012 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
LeeChaolan wrote:
Also what about chocobo riding, spell casting, ranged attacks, jumping(which looks very ugly right now -__-), and emotes? I really hope every race will have their own unique styles like in XI when it comes to these things. I don't know about you guys but details like these in an MMO are part of the reason I keep playing and look forward to turning the game on.


What exactly about those are you wanting to know about? You can see examples of all of those in the official alpha videos or by watching the 4th live letter from the producer.
____________________________
#17 Dec 28 2012 at 9:37 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
6 posts
swisa wrote:
LeeChaolan wrote:
Also what about chocobo riding, spell casting, ranged attacks, jumping(which looks very ugly right now -__-), and emotes? I really hope every race will have their own unique styles like in XI when it comes to these things. I don't know about you guys but details like these in an MMO are part of the reason I keep playing and look forward to turning the game on.


What exactly about those are you wanting to know about? You can see examples of all of those in the official alpha videos or by watching the 4th live letter from the producer.

I want know if you guys think they will be unique for each character. For example; from the videos I've seen all the races ride a chocobo the same way...
#18 Dec 28 2012 at 9:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
LeeChaolan wrote:
swisa wrote:
LeeChaolan wrote:
Also what about chocobo riding, spell casting, ranged attacks, jumping(which looks very ugly right now -__-), and emotes? I really hope every race will have their own unique styles like in XI when it comes to these things. I don't know about you guys but details like these in an MMO are part of the reason I keep playing and look forward to turning the game on.


What exactly about those are you wanting to know about? You can see examples of all of those in the official alpha videos or by watching the 4th live letter from the producer.

I want know if you guys think they will be unique for each character. For example; from the videos I've seen all the races ride a chocobo the same way...


I think you're asking about things that we won't have any idea about until at least a decent way through the Beta, if not launch.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#19 Dec 28 2012 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
^This

We know just about as much (if not a bit more, only a bit) than you right now really...
#20 Dec 28 2012 at 12:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
LeeChaolan wrote:
swisa wrote:
LeeChaolan wrote:
Also what about chocobo riding, spell casting, ranged attacks, jumping(which looks very ugly right now -__-), and emotes? I really hope every race will have their own unique styles like in XI when it comes to these things. I don't know about you guys but details like these in an MMO are part of the reason I keep playing and look forward to turning the game on.


What exactly about those are you wanting to know about? You can see examples of all of those in the official alpha videos or by watching the 4th live letter from the producer.

I want know if you guys think they will be unique for each character. For example; from the videos I've seen all the races ride a chocobo the same way...


that stuff is so bottom of the list priority-wise, for both the devs and most of the fans, that its not really relevant at this point.

The jumping looks very good actually.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#21 Dec 28 2012 at 12:56 PM Rating: Good
**
325 posts
I'm gonna withhold judgement on race specific animations for alpha, where we only see 2 races and they have pointed out that not all the animations are implemented yet.

Don't get me wrong, I very much want my Lalafell to look different when she climbs on her Chocobo than a Roegadyn.
#22 Dec 28 2012 at 8:16 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
They've said that they've removed the blended animations from the alpha. They will be added back in for beta onwards. Also, I honestly wouldn't get your hopes up for different races riding on the chocobo differently. It's basically a horse. Would you expect people to be able to ride safely at full on gallop sitting sideways or actually standing on the seat? It just wouldn't make sense in my opinion. Emotes will be in 2.0. This has been one of the most basic of things in MMO's. Of course they will add those in 2.0. They had them in 1.0. there's no reason why they shouldn't have them in 2.0.

I agree with the above poster who said that these things are VERY low priority. If these are a game breaker for some, pretty much EVERY game wouldn't hold up to those standards since there is no perfect game out there. There will always be little tiny things we can knit pick about.
____________________________
#23 Dec 28 2012 at 9:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
For mount riding, yeah, I don't expect racial animations for those, heck, the only time I ever remember seeing a racial mount animation, it was in Rift, with male Bahmi having a Tartogon (2 headed turtle) specific mount animation where they sat like a genie...but that actually worked out, since the feet wrapped around the turtle :P

#24 Dec 28 2012 at 9:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I'm hoping that Lalafell don't look like idiots when they run anymore. I'm seriously considering recreating my character to something else if they don't change it. Old Keyser Soze might have to be retired.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#25 Dec 28 2012 at 10:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
How bad was it? It couldn't have been as bad as EQ2's original tiny race run animation...
#26 Dec 28 2012 at 11:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Never played EQ2, but it definitely wasn't the same as my beloved Taru.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#27 Dec 28 2012 at 11:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
Wint wrote:
Never played EQ2, but it definitely wasn't the same as my beloved Taru.


Yeah, the last part of that didn't seem to get in there haha...it was pretty bad though, but I forget how it was, since it's been so long.

Hopefully they fix it then...I know EQ2 used motion capture...looking at the movements in the recent videos...I'm gonna say that FF14 doesn't :P
#28 Dec 29 2012 at 12:19 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I'll agree that one of the more well done things in 1.0 was the "solid" physics of character movement.

I knew something in the alpha videos was missing and this is it. I would assume that these sorts of motions will be back in 2.0.
#29 Dec 29 2012 at 9:26 AM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I always hated the "slight stumble" when my lalafelle stopped running. It looked like she was about to fall flat on her face. And it was always there, even if you ran for a short distance, like a foot or two.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#30 Dec 29 2012 at 9:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
catwho wrote:
I always hated the "slight stumble" when my lalafelle stopped running. It looked like she was about to fall flat on her face. And it was always there, even if you ran for a short distance, like a foot or two.


That sounds...painful to watch >.>
#31 Dec 29 2012 at 9:52 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
6 posts
swisa wrote:
Also, I honestly wouldn't get your hopes up for different races riding on the chocobo differently. It's basically a horse. Would you expect people to be able to ride safely at full on gallop sitting sideways or actually standing on the seat? It just wouldn't make sense in my opinion.


I didn't mean it in that way at all. I meant different as in the way XI does it; all the races ride differently. Just copying from XI would be fine imo...

I feel like 3 people should be put in charge to focus on these things; the "Character Specific Animations Trio". The guys who go in and really sand things smooth after the shaping is done. The weird guys who think like me and think its a priority to have smooth character animations and movement fluidity.

...It would probably take more than 3 people, but you guys get the idea...

Edited, Dec 29th 2012 11:05am by LeeChaolan
#32 Dec 29 2012 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
About the only real difference I remember is the Elvaan males going for an easy, one hand in the air, the other on the reins stance.

Tarutaru were hunched over, and their birds were always smaller too (I think the official lore calls the Taru sized birds "jennets.")
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#33 Dec 29 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Mithra's tails pointed straight up like they do when they're fighting too Smiley: smile
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#34 Dec 29 2012 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
Wint wrote:
Mithra's tails pointed straight up like they do when they're fighting too Smiley: smile


That'd look kinda odd, and painful when you think about the fact that tails do have bones, which in turn, would mean that keeping your tail up for too long would probably result in it locking up :P

I'm assuming that we're talking mount animations still?
#35 Dec 29 2012 at 11:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Yeah for XI.

Here is lalafell running in 1.0:

____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#36 Dec 29 2012 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I think the problem is they don't bounce at all, now that I watch this.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#37 Dec 29 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
It started out looking okay...and then I started noticing the flaw with their movement :P
#38 Dec 29 2012 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
Ya, that looks like some pretty derp running
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#39 Dec 29 2012 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
6 posts
Their walking was perfect but their running was a little off. Like Wint said; they don't bounce and people do move up and down somewhat when they walk/run. I assume they where going for the cute look when they took in consideration how Lalafell move around. Honestly, it really wasn't that bad because they did look cute.

ARR is another story because everything animation-wise looks a little off in the alpha. I just hope things are improved.
#40 Dec 31 2012 at 11:27 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,702 posts
swisa wrote:
They've said that they've removed the blended animations from the alpha. They will be added back in for beta onwards. Also, I honestly wouldn't get your hopes up for different races riding on the chocobo differently. It's basically a horse. Would you expect people to be able to ride safely at full on gallop sitting sideways or actually standing on the seat? It just wouldn't make sense in my opinion. Emotes will be in 2.0. This has been one of the most basic of things in MMO's. Of course they will add those in 2.0. They had them in 1.0. there's no reason why they shouldn't have them in 2.0.

I agree with the above poster who said that these things are VERY low priority. If these are a game breaker for some, pretty much EVERY game wouldn't hold up to those standards since there is no perfect game out there. There will always be little tiny things we can knit pick about.



So you're telling me FFXI did it wrong with different racial animations for even Chocobo Riding? We're ignoring battle here because they want this a generic MMO and having varied racial animations goes against that.
#41 Dec 31 2012 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
Theonehio wrote:
swisa wrote:
They've said that they've removed the blended animations from the alpha. They will be added back in for beta onwards. Also, I honestly wouldn't get your hopes up for different races riding on the chocobo differently. It's basically a horse. Would you expect people to be able to ride safely at full on gallop sitting sideways or actually standing on the seat? It just wouldn't make sense in my opinion. Emotes will be in 2.0. This has been one of the most basic of things in MMO's. Of course they will add those in 2.0. They had them in 1.0. there's no reason why they shouldn't have them in 2.0.

I agree with the above poster who said that these things are VERY low priority. If these are a game breaker for some, pretty much EVERY game wouldn't hold up to those standards since there is no perfect game out there. There will always be little tiny things we can knit pick about.



So you're telling me FFXI did it wrong with different racial animations for even Chocobo Riding? We're ignoring battle here because they want this a generic MMO and having varied racial animations goes against that.


I'm not saying anybody is wrong. I'm just saying they didn't have it in 1.0 and I doubt they add it in 2.0. When you prioritize things that make a game fun, this would rank pretty low compared to most of things. It's aesthetically nice, yes, but a game breaker? In my opinion, no. Personally, I think they have other more important things to focus on instead of making separate animations for each of the races and or tribes within those races. They will have more than 1 type of mount. Would you expect them to make a different animation EVERY time they release a new mount?
____________________________
#42 Dec 31 2012 at 10:54 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
swisa wrote:
Personally, I think they have other more important things to focus on instead of making separate animations...


There's always going to be something "more important" than something else. Functional mechanics are of course more important than animations -- for that matter, they're more important than music, than icons for items, than storyline, &c., but we still need animations, we still need music, we still need art assets, and we still need a story.

There's no need to apply the black and white logic here; nobody's saying that unique, well-done animations should take priority over essential components of the game, that would be silly. But if every time somebody mentions an improvement or a aspect of the game and you say "other things are more important," well, then we never get to talk about anything but the most essential overt components of the game. There's always going to be something more important.

Ideally, SE should be able to program things and make them look nice. That's the reality of the situation.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#43 Dec 31 2012 at 11:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Exactly, and it's not like "they" are all standard issue SE worker #X with generic game design skills. There are graphic designers and animators who specifically do those things. They're already paying those animators. So the question is, if they're not working on this, what ARE they working on? It's not about priorities for SE; it's about priorities for the animation team.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)