Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

A Realm Reborn Opening Movie Now Live!Follow

#102 Jan 11 2013 at 3:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Llester wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Someone at the official forum sums up my feelings quite nicely:
Quote:
its not really an opening, its a montage.

An army of chocobos
Appearence of Odin
Behemoth
Crystal tower

None of these are explained, none of them are coherent, what is the point of them?


Its a trailer...its not FF Spirits Within part 2.

As for explanation, i think its pretty straightforward: New areas, new big bad boss, re-appearance of classic FF elements (Tower, Behemoth), and an obvious focus on Chocobos being a larger part of the game than we've seen in the past.

And clearly at least some of the NPCs made the time jump or otherwise survived. Can't have FF without Cid after all, and I was certainly pleased to see that the blindfolded pugilist Gridanian chick (name forgotten) with the badass leg armor survived.


We seen everything in this video split between trailers and the End of an Era video. It's not a trailer, it's an OPENING MOVIE. **** even XI's opening conveyed more to the player about the game than this, if they didn't show End of an Era they'd have had something.



and how important was XI's opening movie after you were balls-deep addicted to the game? again, everyone is bored and needs crap to discuss/debate/pointlessly argue about. tbh i'm kind of grossed-out by how pathologically granular fans can get with things like this. first-world problems, etc.
____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#103 Jan 11 2013 at 3:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,712 posts
Quote:
That first trek you ever took to Jeuno, everyone remembers that


I remember running out of prism powders about halfway there because I could only afford a handful of them.

That definitely made the trip more interesting... running behind mobs as fast as my tiny taru legs could carry me.

Edited, Jan 11th 2013 3:41pm by Callinon
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#104 Jan 11 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
That first trek you ever took to Jeuno, everyone remembers that


I remember running out of prism powders about halfway there because I could only afford a handful of them.

That definitely made the trip more interesting... running behind mobs as fast as my tiny taru legs could carry me.

Edited, Jan 11th 2013 3:41pm by Callinon


I remember my first trip to Jeuno. A ridiculous run (without powders) just for a lvl 13-15ish harness not available in Windy AH! I was obsessed. My second trip was for my choco licence. Met many eventual friends sitting there in choco manure for several game days.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#105 Jan 12 2013 at 3:13 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Theonehio wrote:
plutoknight wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the **** is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.


Not really, this is a safe assumption. I know bashing 1.0 and SE gets you 'teh mad rate ups,' but at some point it gets old. If you can't admit that SE does cutscenes and story right, you're trolling.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 10:48am by Louiscool


Correction Square did Story, Cutscenes and Gameplay. SE does Cutscenes. Unless you could mention a game done by SE that tells an amazing story..... I'll Wait!


I know I'm feeding the troll, but there's this amazing game called NIER that..oh...oh what's this? "Square Enix"......Who is this.."Square-Enix"?

(Granted...SE then shut down cavia because Nier sold poorly. But it's an amazing story. Amazing. Leaps and bounds better than anything FF has produced post FFXI)

Also, trailer was amazing, bring on 2.0. I'm in.


Yeah, Ostia does nothing but berate SE and every game they produce, yet continues to hang around forums and news articles dedicated towards SE's games. It's quite fascinating actually. Oh and he's probably going to retort with: "SE defense force" or some other stupid sh*t. Best to ignore him.

Edited, Jan 11th 2013 12:53pm by Theonehio


Yet i supports XIV with Money! I have stated many times that XII is the second best FF next to VI. I have bought every game SE has produced (Unlike some of you that only have played Final Fantasy.) I have stated many times how mind boggling it is that SE has not decided to release Final Fantasy Type-0 on the states, when is a masterpiece of a game, and it would be the perfect transitional game into XIV (It has a similar setting with the magitech empire, crystals and summons playing a big Part.)

Just because i don't put all my hopes into promises made by SE, or worship Yoshi-P for being nothing out of the ordinary (Maybe to fellow XI players he is, but i have played probably all majors MMO'S and communication between devs and the community is pretty normal to Me.) I hold SE to a bigger standard than you or most probably do, because SE is a pioneer of both the MMO and RPG genre, and there is no excuse for them to be doing this badly period.

P.S: Stop being such a crybaby.
____________________________
MUTED
#106 Jan 12 2013 at 3:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Honestly I don't even see how someone can call themselves a FF fan if XII even made their top three Smiley: lol
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#107 Jan 12 2013 at 4:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
FF 12 had an excellent combat system that allowed you to outbrain enemy algorythms with your own, speeding up the usual tedium of wading through hopelessly underpowered trash mobs. A step in the right direction IMO. And it was way less childishly angsty than SE's recent lukewarm stodge of "I'm goth, but deep inside still love a world of pink flowers" (XIII) or the 40 year old male virgin fanservice X-2.

Pale in comparison to the "great old ones" (FF series, C. Trigger etc.), but not as insultingly ridiculous as most of their other titles past 2000.
#108 Jan 12 2013 at 5:11 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Eh, I thought the combat system was "ok," though when you break it down:
-It borrowed heavily from XI. Which was fine, just a big departure for a single-player FF title, and already wearing old by the time of its release.
-The gambit system was received pretty critically overall. I think it would have been a significant improvement were gambits not treated like items.
-A lot of the abilities were incredibly flat. Almost every encounter was easily handled with Haste, Berserk, and Charge.
-Quickenings were a joke.

Those are just a few of my standalone gameplay observations. The real reason for my tongue-in-cheek quip there was that XII was such a radical departure from the FF series that a lot of people didn't even consider it a true FF.

Which isn't to say that it was a total flop or anything. I quite enjoyed reading about the gameplay for a while, but by the time I got around to playing it, I already knew nearly everything about it, and it wasn't very flattering (for the game).
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#109 Jan 12 2013 at 11:32 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Kachi wrote:
Honestly I don't even see how someone can call themselves a FF fan if XII even made their top three Smiley: lol


I was going to make a snarky post about innovation and decided not to.

But I loved FF XII and I consider myself a pretty big FF fan.

I honestly don't see how you can consider yourself an objective observer, then berate someone else's opinion as subordinate to your own. Smiley: lol
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#110 Jan 12 2013 at 12:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
One thing about FF fans, they each feel passionately about their favorite. Personally I have enjoyed them all. Replaying XII on my computer right now, the graphics are amazing running through an emulator.

Screenshot
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#111 Jan 12 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Kachi wrote:
Honestly I don't even see how someone can call themselves a FF fan if XII even made their top three Smiley: lol


It is the first Final Fantasy and second game from Square that got a Perfect Score in Famitsu (Both games made by the same person) it also sold well, outside of gambits, which i don't even get, what all the fuss was about (If you don't want to use gambits, then don't) the game had the biggest meat out of any FF title, side quests everywhere, the mark system was an awesome way to expand the lore of the game, and the world, the customization system was good, the story was good (Tho i believe it was cut short, from playing other yazmat games, and he did had to step down before the completion of the game)

XII is as different from VI-IX as X is to them Too.
____________________________
MUTED
#112 Jan 12 2013 at 12:56 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Wint wrote:
One thing about FF fans, they each feel passionately about their favorite. Personally I have enjoyed them all. Replaying XII on my computer right now, the graphics are amazing running through an emulator.

Screenshot


Are you playing the international edition ? It does fixes a lot of issues the official release had.
____________________________
MUTED
#113 Jan 12 2013 at 1:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Are you playing the international edition ? It does fixes a lot of issues the official release had.

Like, the hair style of the main character?
#114 Jan 12 2013 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Honestly I don't even see how someone can call themselves a FF fan if XII even made their top three Smiley: lol


I was going to make a snarky post about innovation and decided not to.

But I loved FF XII and I consider myself a pretty big FF fan.

I honestly don't see how you can consider yourself an objective observer, then berate someone else's opinion as subordinate to your own. Smiley: lol


Whoever said I was being objective?

I was merely joking that XII was so different from its predecessors that to say one is a fan of FFXII is not to say that one is a fan of the Final Fantasy series. I would say the same about XI and XIII.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#115 Jan 12 2013 at 3:18 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Are you playing the international edition ? It does fixes a lot of issues the official release had.

Like, the hair style of the main character?


Like the license board... among others.... Wow! People are really ignorant about FF on this boards lol
____________________________
MUTED
#116 Jan 12 2013 at 3:20 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Kachi wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Honestly I don't even see how someone can call themselves a FF fan if XII even made their top three Smiley: lol


I was going to make a snarky post about innovation and decided not to.

But I loved FF XII and I consider myself a pretty big FF fan.

I honestly don't see how you can consider yourself an objective observer, then berate someone else's opinion as subordinate to your own. Smiley: lol


Whoever said I was being objective?

I was merely joking that XII was so different from its predecessors that to say one is a fan of FFXII is not to say that one is a fan of the Final Fantasy series. I would say the same about XI and XIII.


The only difference was the combat system, the leveling system was a version of the one we had in X. Please do tell me where else does the game was so different from the main series.
____________________________
MUTED
#117 Jan 12 2013 at 3:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
972 posts
FFXII might be different from previous FF before it. But let's not kid ourselves, it brought offline FF into modern gaming. Open World rpg, not seamless, but open in a full scale 3D universe. It introduced seamless battle with no transition screens. It did many things good. Most big rpgs nowdays are open, some seamless, some with zones. The actual battle system is inferior to XI which it was based off. But I liked gambits, they could have done alot more with them, but they're fine.

I think the world is ready for a spiritual successor to VI, VII, and XII. With modern innovations of course. Sure Xenoblade kind of did XII. But FF has huge well known lore and a larger fanbase. I think we're ready for an online Co-op FF, playable through the whole story & an endgame. The closest description I can think of in terms of online structure is WKC like, but with a larger budget. The graphics can be good but no requirement to be cutting edge. Focusing on story, gameplay, and exploration.

These spiritual successors are the games they should be expanding the universe or making sequels for. ***** the seperate teams. They need to do like the old days using a dream team, if not permanently, just this once. Get the best they have on staff at every position and pour their souls into it.
Everyones choice may be different on who this dream team should be. But I feel for lead game design/director it should be Hiroyuki Ito. ****, maybe even do a collaboration with Sakaguchi on the initial installment. Idk if he'd do it or the insane amount of money they would have to pay him. But wouldn't that be a sight to see lol?
#118 Jan 12 2013 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Honestly I don't even see how someone can call themselves a FF fan if XII even made their top three Smiley: lol


I was going to make a snarky post about innovation and decided not to.

But I loved FF XII and I consider myself a pretty big FF fan.

I honestly don't see how you can consider yourself an objective observer, then berate someone else's opinion as subordinate to your own. Smiley: lol


I wasn't stating that you were, only wondering "IF". Since you've plainly stated you are certainly not being objective, then there ya go :)

As far as differences between FFXII and the main series: *Note I'm only counting the "offline" series, not FF XI.

Gambits
License Board (Allows any character to max any/all rolls on a single playthrough)
Summons (Worked differently, and I would say quite poorly)
Quickenings
Open world "NM's" that pop only when certain conditions are met.
Bazaar system for developing new weapons/ammo
No random battles
Control of the camera

I may have missed something...it's been awhile since I played it.

Edited, Jan 12th 2013 1:56pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#119 Jan 12 2013 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
A hybrid co-op single player FF without being a true MMO might be fun. Customize your main character, build an NPC party like all good FFs, but then have the occasional ability to interact with other individuals on certain stages, sort of like how they did in Journey. Unlike Journey, where communication was extremely limited, you can talk and interact with the other person who is on the same stage you are, and befriend them through the PSN or the game or whatever, and if you really work well together, agree to do further missions with that person.

Crap, now I want to go play Journey again. Smiley: lol
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#120 Jan 12 2013 at 4:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
One thing about FF fans, they each feel passionately about their favorite. Personally I have enjoyed them all. Replaying XII on my computer right now, the graphics are amazing running through an emulator.

Screenshot


Are you playing the international edition ? It does fixes a lot of issues the official release had.


No this is the Game Stop exclusive pre order that came in that metal tin.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#121 Jan 12 2013 at 4:15 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
That's the one I have too
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#122 Jan 12 2013 at 4:20 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
LebargeX wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Honestly I don't even see how someone can call themselves a FF fan if XII even made their top three Smiley: lol


I was going to make a snarky post about innovation and decided not to.

But I loved FF XII and I consider myself a pretty big FF fan.

I honestly don't see how you can consider yourself an objective observer, then berate someone else's opinion as subordinate to your own. Smiley: lol


I wasn't stating that you were, only wondering "IF". Since you've plainly stated you are certainly not being objective, then there ya go :)

As far as differences between FFXII and the main series: *Note I'm only counting the "offline" series, not FF XI.

Gambits
License Board (Allows any character to max any/all rolls on a single playthrough)
Summons (Worked differently, and I would say quite poorly)
Quickenings
Open world "NM's" that pop only when certain conditions are met.
Bazaar system for developing new weapons/ammo
No random battles
Control of the camera

I may have missed something...it's been awhile since I played it.

Edited, Jan 12th 2013 1:56pm by LebargeX


License boards = Sphere grid
Summon = FFX summon system
Quickenings = Limit breaks
Open World "NM's" = Every FF
Bazaar = FFTA/FFT/FFTA2

Gambits are not mandatory, and they where done well, on the international version of the game, they where fixed to work more in line with the combat system. as for camera control sure.
____________________________
MUTED
#123 Jan 12 2013 at 4:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Nice thing about playing on the emulator, I can reverse the camera controls the way I like Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#124 Jan 12 2013 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
As long as you're convinced those things are equal. I guess I'm just done with the whole conversation

Edited, Jan 12th 2013 2:45pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#125 Jan 12 2013 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
sandpark wrote:
FFXII might be different from previous FF before it. But let's not kid ourselves, it brought offline FF into modern gaming. Open World rpg, not seamless, but open in a full scale 3D universe. It introduced seamless battle with no transition screens. It did many things good. Most big rpgs nowdays are open, some seamless, some with zones. The actual battle system is inferior to XI which it was based off. But I liked gambits, they could have done alot more with them, but they're fine.

I think the world is ready for a spiritual successor to VI, VII, and XII. With modern innovations of course. Sure Xenoblade kind of did XII. But FF has huge well known lore and a larger fanbase. I think we're ready for an online Co-op FF, playable through the whole story & an endgame. The closest description I can think of in terms of online structure is WKC like, but with a larger budget. The graphics can be good but no requirement to be cutting edge. Focusing on story, gameplay, and exploration.

These spiritual successors are the games they should be expanding the universe or making sequels for. ***** the seperate teams. They need to do like the old days using a dream team, if not permanently, just this once. Get the best they have on staff at every position and pour their souls into it.
Everyones choice may be different on who this dream team should be. But I feel for lead game design/director it should be Hiroyuki Ito. ****, maybe even do a collaboration with Sakaguchi on the initial installment. Idk if he'd do it or the insane amount of money they would have to pay him. But wouldn't that be a sight to see lol?


I would like to see them do something like this. I picture something like Dungeon Siege III with a big open world where you can roam (minus the linear zones part). You can go solo, or a friend(s) can just hop in with you. Give it more story, more FF/RPG elements instead of the hack n' slash, and endgame dungeons and I'd be hooked.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#126 Jan 12 2013 at 10:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
The only difference was the combat system, the leveling system was a version of the one we had in X. Please do tell me where else does the game was so different from the main series.


Yeah, I likewise do not see those things as being equal. The story was entirely different, the style was entirely different, the gameplay was entirely different. Honestly, isn't that enough?
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 230 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (230)