Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

New Players and Server BalanceFollow

#27 Feb 02 2013 at 5:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Edit: Lag was a pretty big issue for people even inside Japan. It was the game engine and client, not just distance latency.

Well, I did not have lag in the sense that actions on my screen took effect long after I had performed them. I had "lag" when selling stuff in Ul'dah at the Pimelle (?) merchant, but that's about it.
#28 Feb 02 2013 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
Wint wrote:
You guys act like lag is going to be a huge issue, but I think for every day play we aren't going to have problems. I know if I end up on a JP server I'm not going to be crying about it.


Not me, though I suppose with PvP it could be an issue for some... but I'm not a fan of PvP and will likely only lightly participate unless it's more along the lines of mini-game related things and not just straight up combat or capture the flag BS.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#29 Feb 03 2013 at 11:29 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
623 posts
Regardless I'll be creating a new character on one of these new servers. I played the game for several months when first released, but quit before free-play ended. So if I were to rejoin on my same character I would be so lost amongst you 14 vets.
Fresh starts are fun!
#30 Feb 03 2013 at 11:35 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
aadrenry wrote:
Do you think Square should give some type of small incentive to those who join older servers?


No, I don't.
____________________________
MUTED
#31 Feb 04 2013 at 2:16 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,172 posts
Poubelle wrote:
aadrenry wrote:
Do you think Square should give some type of small incentive to those who join older servers?


No, I don't.

I'm curious what sort of incentive would match being on a server with a much larger pool of players around your level to participate in events with.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#32 Feb 04 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Decent
*
78 posts
What you guys have not stop to consider is the population when XIV first release. I think SE has not say anything because they need to see how many players are comming back. When XIV first release there were over 600k copies sold around the world and only about 40-50k player and the end of 1.0. Plus 18 servers with a good population on each at release and only 10 at the end with OK population, so what if everyone comesback? Those 10 servers cannot handle all of the population that the original 18 had and then you need to add the PS3 players that did not purchased a copy of the game because they did not have the money to buy a new computer to handle the game.

Look at the Beta Road Map, Beta phase 1-2 is going to be dedicated to improved the game and get feedback from core FFXIV players (players that stick to the end with the bad and the good). Then Phase 3-4 will have most of the answer SE needs:

Overseas Servers phase 3
SE will see how many players want to play in their location and how many don't care to stay in Japan to play with their friends.

PS3 Beta phase 4
Will give SE a rough number of current PC accounts that will go PS3 and posible number of future new accounts on PS3 sales.

Then SE will have the necesary data to guess on the number of servers to open in each region and what must of the current population will want to do about staying in Japan servers. The first merger was a mess, I spend 5 hours figthing until the early hours of the morning EST with people to get a spot to transfer with my LS and many people was not happy because they did not get a spot and were left behind by their LS.

We won't get true answers until after the Beta testing, just think how many players will give ARR a chance that have a character made and don't want to create a new one. I know several people that did not care to craft or gather, after all of their battle classes reach 50; they stop playing.

Edited, Feb 4th 2013 11:59am by FedeMax

Edited, Feb 4th 2013 12:02pm by FedeMax
#33 Feb 04 2013 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
When XIV first release there were over 600k copies sold shipped

...half of which ended up in the bargain bin.
#34 Feb 04 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Decent
*
78 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
When XIV first release there were over 600k copies sold shipped

...half of which ended up in the bargain bin.


Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.
#35 Feb 04 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.

That`s already 200k people who will not pre-order again.
#36 Feb 04 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Decent
*
78 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.

That`s already 200k people who will not pre-order again.


That over 150k that could comeback for ARR release just in the USA along.

Edited, Feb 4th 2013 1:55pm by FedeMax
#37 Feb 04 2013 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
FedeMax wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.

That`s already 200k people who will not pre-order again.


That over 150k that could comeback for ARR release just in the USA along.

Edited, Feb 4th 2013 1:55pm by FedeMax


you're out of your mind.

if FFXIV makes a comeback it will be a gradual process, customers aren't THAT gullible.
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Feb 04 2013 at 2:15 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,172 posts
Poubelle wrote:
FedeMax wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.

That`s already 200k people who will not pre-order again.


That over 150k that could comeback for ARR release just in the USA along.

Edited, Feb 4th 2013 1:55pm by FedeMax


you're out of your mind.

if FFXIV makes a comeback it will be a gradual process, customers aren't THAT gullible.


It's already been mentioned that there will be another trial, so the x hundred thousand gullible customers who already purchased the game need only reinstall it to start playing again. The true test will be to see if ARR is good enough at launch to keep them interested enough to subscribe. You'd have no trouble finding people here to attest to the fact that I don't think it's likely XIV will retain them all or even the majority, but I'm almost certain that the majority will come back at least to try it out.

75% of people who already purchased a product coming back for a free trial is not a stretch by any means.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#39 Feb 04 2013 at 3:32 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Poubelle wrote:
FedeMax wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.

That`s already 200k people who will not pre-order again.


That over 150k that could comeback for ARR release just in the USA along.

Edited, Feb 4th 2013 1:55pm by FedeMax


you're out of your mind.

if FFXIV makes a comeback it will be a gradual process, customers aren't THAT gullible.


It's already been mentioned that there will be another trial, so the x hundred thousand gullible customers who already purchased the game need only reinstall it to start playing again. The true test will be to see if ARR is good enough at launch to keep them interested enough to subscribe. You'd have no trouble finding people here to attest to the fact that I don't think it's likely XIV will retain them all or even the majority, but I'm almost certain that the majority will come back at least to try it out.

75% of people who already purchased a product coming back for a free trial is not a stretch by any means.


I don't doubt a lot of people will give the trial a chance, but I was replying to the idea that a large number of people would preorder
____________________________
MUTED
#40 Feb 04 2013 at 3:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Fedemax wasn't referring to people preordering, he's talking about those who already bought the game and so have a "free copy" if you will for 2.0. I don't think it's unreasonable at all that the majority of those who bought 1.0 will come back to at least try 2.0. I'm not sure why Rinsui would think that those 200k would need to preorder yet again.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#41 Feb 04 2013 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
*
78 posts
Thank you, that is what I was trying to say including my original post. It is not hard to think that everyone that purchased a copy of FFXIV 1.0 will not give the game a trial. Plus everyone including current players will get the first month of ARR free, which give a chance for anyone that play XIV and left to give it a chance.

Open Beta will be a key factor as the success of ARR. If Open Beta is a success on the players, the amount of servers and just like I stated early will give SE the information it needs to provide a transfer or no transfer decision on servers. I hope SE will give the current community a way to transfer their Characters to their local region but it's been confirm by the DEVs that a transfer ticket can be obtain later (time not been confirm 1,2 or 6 months after release) to transfer just like in XI.

Still, it is not out of reach to get 400k-500k players at release of ARR because of the PS3 release.
#42 Feb 06 2013 at 2:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
26 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.

That`s already 200k people who will not need to pre-order again.


There, all fixed. He probably just got confused, or forgot that the game doesn't actually cost anything to anyone who has already purchased the game. And its true, almost every single person I know who bought v1.0 is going to be giving this game a second try, simply because it will be readily accessible to them.

I can't help but have such high hopes for this game. I didn't play too much of v1.0, so me and my buddies will be starting on a fresh server, struggling and helping each other out through quests and such! So excited! lol
#43 Feb 06 2013 at 4:35 AM Rating: Default
****
4,172 posts
DevilFruit wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Over 200k pre-order copies confirm for the USA at release time.

That`s already 200k people who will not need to pre-order again.


There, all fixed. He probably just got confused, or forgot that the game doesn't actually cost anything to anyone who has already purchased the game. And its true, almost every single person I know who bought v1.0 is going to be giving this game a second try, simply because it will be readily accessible to them.

I can't help but have such high hopes for this game. I didn't play too much of v1.0, so me and my buddies will be starting on a fresh server, struggling and helping each other out through quests and such! So excited! lol


We've established that everyone who already purchased the game will be able to play the trial. What's not certain is how many will remain beyond that critical first 30 days.

You also have to consider that all of those players had an 18 month free trial already. Based on server parses and estimates on sales, roughly 10% of those buyers stuck around to see the improvements as they were made. The changes coming in ARR will have to be significant enough that people will have decided well before their trial is up that they're staying with XIV.

Honest question; how long should optimism hold up for a project that will be going on 3 years old at it's second release?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#44 Feb 06 2013 at 7:49 AM Rating: Decent
*
78 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Honest question; how long should optimism hold up for a project that will be going on 3 years old at it's second release?


I will give it until Open Beta, FFXIV 1.0 biggest fail was the early release of a well know imcomplete game by the Beta testers. Most of the people I know that did Beta were not happy with the level of the game at that time but SE did not listen to the players and release the game anyway. Since Yoshi-P said that the game will not be release until they are safisfy with the product, it gives it a good chance that it will succeed. So far we see that with SE not releasing a launch date for the game so they won't have to hurry to meet it.

I do have high hopes for ARR and the current DEV team has done wonders for community - devs communication and answering questions.
#45 Feb 06 2013 at 4:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
FedeMax wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Honest question; how long should optimism hold up for a project that will be going on 3 years old at it's second release?


I will give it until Open Beta, FFXIV 1.0 biggest fail was the early release of a well know imcomplete game by the Beta testers. Most of the people I know that did Beta were not happy with the level of the game at that time but SE did not listen to the players and release the game anyway. Since Yoshi-P said that the game will not be release until they are safisfy with the product, it gives it a good chance that it will succeed. So far we see that with SE not releasing a launch date for the game so they won't have to hurry to meet it.

I do have high hopes for ARR and the current DEV team has done wonders for community - devs communication and answering questions.


There were bigger mistakes.

The first was trying to use an all-purpose game engine for an MMO. Crystal Tools created countless delays in FFXIII and FFXIV which had a direct impact on their quality.

The second big mistake was to ignore trends in other MMOs, especially the more popular ones like WoW.

So by the time the beta test started it was already doomed with its crappy engine and its out-of-touch design philosophy.

But all is not lost. It's been said that FFXI is highly derivative (even SE admits it's EQ Final Fantasy style). What made FFXI SE's most profitable game where so many other equally derivative games have failed are its loyal fans. As long as FFXIV appeals to them, it will do fine.
#46 Feb 08 2013 at 4:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
26 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
You also have to consider that all of those players had an 18 month free trial already. Based on server parses and estimates on sales, roughly 10% of those buyers stuck around to see the improvements as they were made. The changes coming in ARR will have to be significant enough that people will have decided well before their trial is up that they're staying with XIV.


True. Although, as you mentioned, most people didn't stick around for an actual 18 month trial, even if the gametime was free. Speaking as someone who only played FFXIV for about 2 months before giving up (beta into launch), I know I've personally been very impressed with what ARR is offering. But that's just my opinion. I'm optimistic that the changes made are going to be great, but that doesn't really speak on how successful the game will be. I have to agree with Xoie though, as long as the game pleases Final Fantasy fans, the game still has a future.
#47 Feb 08 2013 at 9:02 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
I am really excited about a FFXIV too... But I was the first time around too.. I checked everyday to see if there was any news about a 360 version since they said it was being developed along side the windows version and I didn't want a new computer at the time. Allot of my friends that played FFXI on the Xbox went out and bought new computers for the game but were so disappointed and felt so burned. I still think they should call it something different than FFXIV, I have talked to some of these people recently and they will never give the game another chance.

I got to say I am really excited about having servers around the world. No more Japanese people grabbing a pop before we even see it appear and being half across the zone with it.. With the competition in abyssea it got really annoying.


I am not sure how I feel completely about the separation of new vs legacy players.I know most legacy players wont agree with this but if this is a totally new game like they say I think everyone should be at the same level. Give the legacy players something special though that other players cant get but reset all stats. I know allot of people that don't want to come to game where they are several years behind already. They need new blood and that is one way to get it. They don't need another reason to stay away. Be nice to have some legacy people on all servers to help new players out some. I complete understand about the economies and keeping them separate. I believe this will be lifted right away anyway and servers will be open to all players.

I would think everyone who plays this game wants what is best for the game and its success because if this game fails again it could be the end of SE.





Edited, Feb 8th 2013 10:26am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#48 Feb 08 2013 at 9:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Nashred wrote:
I believe this will be lifted right away anyway and servers will be open to all player.


No, it really won't.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#49 Feb 08 2013 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
15 posts
I plan to roll a new character on an established server for a couple of reasons.

1. As a legacy player, most of my friends will be playing on an established server. Even though I am starting over I would still like to play with them.

2. There will be leveled crafters on an established server. Getting crafted gear will not be as hard on an established server as it would be on a newbie server.

From an incentive standpoint I think that the grafted gear thing would hold the most weight for a new player starting on a legacy server. I remember starting 1.0 at release and there was people wearing starting gear and weapons on jobs till people were able to craft something higher. There was nothing out there, and if someone could craft rank30 + they charged out the wazoo for it.
#50 Feb 13 2013 at 3:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
26 posts
Nashred wrote:
I am not sure how I feel completely about the separation of new vs legacy players.I know most legacy players wont agree with this but if this is a totally new game like they say I think everyone should be at the same level. Give the legacy players something special though that other players cant get but reset all stats. I know allot of people that don't want to come to game where they are several years behind already. They need new blood and that is one way to get it. They don't need another reason to stay away. Be nice to have some legacy people on all servers to help new players out some. I complete understand about the economies and keeping them separate. I believe this will be lifted right away anyway and servers will be open to all players.


While it will play differently, and probably feel different, this isn't a "totally new game". And frankly, you would be hard pressed to make legacy players actually return to FFXIV if you were to take away everything they worked hard in the past 2 years, not to mention they have to completely restart.

Besides, having separate new and legacy servers already remedies the fairness issue. Aside from more inherent knowledge, no one will have an unfair advantage over others on either servers. As someone who will be starting on a brand new US server, I prefer it that way. I look forward to working hard on completing quests with random strangers. And if FFXI was any indication, there will probably be storyline missions and so forth that will force me to find other players. I personally cannot wait.

Bikakuga wrote:
From an incentive standpoint I think that the grafted gear thing would hold the most weight for a new player starting on a legacy server. I remember starting 1.0 at release and there was people wearing starting gear and weapons on jobs till people were able to craft something higher. There was nothing out there, and if someone could craft rank30 + they charged out the wazoo for it.


Just remember that v2.0 will introduce loads of quests to the game, which are supposed to help you level up a class all the way. Just like every other game, these quests reward you with XP, money, and possibly loot. I don't think finding 'okay' gear will be nearly as difficult as it used to be. I'm sure the quest rewards won't be amazing, and you can probably get better crafted gear, but we won't be so reliant on crafters due to gear scarcity. There's also Guildleves as well, which sometimes reward gear as well.
#51 Feb 13 2013 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
181 posts
DevilFruit wrote:
Just remember that v2.0 will introduce loads of quests to the game, which are supposed to help you level up a class all the way. Just like every other game, these quests reward you with XP, money, and possibly loot. I don't think finding 'okay' gear will be nearly as difficult as it used to be. I'm sure the quest rewards won't be amazing, and you can probably get better crafted gear, but we won't be so reliant on crafters due to gear scarcity. There's also Guildleves as well, which sometimes reward gear as well.
Believe it or not, the scarcity of gear drops in XIV has been one of the big things I miss from that game. It just seemed to add a whole new level of discovery and excitement to the game. In all the other MMOs I've been playing since FF, you get so much loot while questing they make crafting seem like a waste of time and getting gear upgrades is no more exciting than finding junk that you npc for money (at least for me). I personally thought it was much more fun relying on crafting to get all your gear. Making each and every upgrade feel like a special moment in the growth of your character - instead of something that is handed to you and in most cases accompanied with no feelings at all.

That's not to imply that I don't think they botched the whole system in 1.0 though. I completely agree with anyone who will say "but trying to figure out recipes was a nightmare" or "but trying to find something you wanted to buy was impossible (pre Market Wards)". The entire system wasn't perfect by any means, but the concept of "You have to work for your gear instead of automatically getting it through normal progression" was great to me. I'd much rather have the old 1.0 system than what all these other games are using.

I know I'm in the minority on this and I have braced myself for all the red arrows soon to be pierced through this post, lol. Maybe ARR will find a good mix of both - I would be ok with that if they were able to please both sides (people who love to craft and people who just want to do quests and not worry about it).

TL;DR = I prefer a higher emphasis on crafting rather than getting gear as loot.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 94 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (94)