Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

will PS3 version get delayed?Follow

#52 Feb 27 2013 at 7:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
Poubelle wrote:
so as we all know from the recent videos...the latest footage for the PS3 version looks HORRENDOUS.


Who knows this? Who could possibly know this? What is this based off? A youtube video? Are you freakin' serious right now, Poubelle? While I expect PS3 quality to be lower than that of a standard PC, there is just no way you could know this, as NO ONE has played it first hand.

Futhermore, if the battle, the music, the graphics, the questing, and the consoles it is available on bother you; don't play it, and move on. Or at least be constructive about your posts instead of blindly typing complete bullsh*t and garbage. Is this sh*t allowed here?

As we all know from recent posts, Pikko is a giant terrorist who shoots bacon out of of her eyeballs. MUST BE FORUM MATERIAL!

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 7:21pm by Raiendel
____________________________
------------------
#53 Mar 13 2013 at 8:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
153 posts
Face it. Based on the you tube videos the PS3 version has some issues with frame rates. Additionally, Square-Enix even said the are working with PS3 developers to fix the issues. Realistically, the PS3 beta is slated to get 7 weeks of testing starting in phase 3. Since the coding is different from the PC a unique set of bugs may appear in the PS3 version which may take longer to fix. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version gets delayed yet again.
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
#54Poubelle, Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 9:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Yeah, it seems to get increasingly likely by the day that the PS3 version will get delayed until 2014.
#55 Mar 13 2013 at 10:14 PM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
Poubelle wrote:
Yeah, it seems to get increasingly likely by the day that the PS3 version will get delayed until 2014.

they seem to be unable or unwilling to update the community on the status of the PS3 version and its blatant technical problems, which makes me think they aren't making much progress. it's the elephant in the room as they say.

but yeah no doubt in my mind at this point that the PS3 version won't be hitting store shelves (or digital stores) any time soon. and people who brushed off this topic as "trolling" will look very silly.

Based on WHAT? lol This boggles my mind, you have like 40 total seconds of PS3 footage from who knows when it was actually taken, and the game is still in beta, and SE has a Sony team on board to help optimize it. You are more convinced than before? How? Why? What additional information has come into light that could possibly support this theory?
____________________________
------------------
#56 Mar 13 2013 at 10:30 PM Rating: Excellent
If they delay the PS3 version, then they'll delay the PC version, too.

But neither will be delayed, at least according to any information that's been released so far. Both versions appear on track for release, and I'm very excited to be able to sit in my living room and play while my wife plays on her laptop!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#57 Mar 13 2013 at 10:36 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
Thayos wrote:
If they delay the PS3 version, then they'll delay the PC version, too.

But neither will be delayed, at least according to any information that's been released so far. Both versions appear on track for release, and I'm very excited to be able to sit in my living room and play while my wife plays on her laptop!


@bold - doubt it. I'm just making predictions here, but they'll likely re-release the PC version (digital only) sometime over the Summer, with PS3 version in early 2014.

this seems like the most realistic time frame.

I don't see how the PS3 could evolve from its current pre-Alpha looking state into a sellable product on a Gamestop shelf within the next 6 months. I guess you're just really hopeful?

also you have a ton of level 50s... are you telling me you're going to WILLINGLY purchase the PS3 version when you can already play the PC one? you do know there's going to be a noticeable drop in graphic quality and frame rate, with the game likely being unplayable in large group activities right?

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 12:36am by Poubelle
____________________________
MUTED
#58 Mar 13 2013 at 11:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,450 posts
I have a stupid question for you Poubelle..

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

You've done nothing but espouse the belief that if FFXIV launches at all without bursting immediately into flames, that it will be the biggest unmitigated failure of design, execution, and flavor profile since the invention of the razor-lined fleshlight.

If you're just trying to troll, ok... you're bad at it, but ok... if you're genuinely interested in discussing FFXIV, then I have to wonder why you are looking at it in such a negative light. You realize this is a fansite right? Ostensibly a website where fans meet to discuss aspects of whatever they're fans of? In this case FFXIV?

Back at the launch of 1.0, I was really critical of the game, because I'd just spent that beta pointing out all the things it was doing wrong only to watch them do all of those things. So you know what I did? I left. I went away. I came back NOW because I think 2.0 has a shot and I'm desperately curious to see if they can pull it off. I want the game to succeed because I loved Final Fantasy and I loved FFXI.

You, on the other hand, seem to only want to describe all the ways in which it will surely fail. And the kicker is: unlike when I was doing something similar, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME YET.

You're making all these assertions about things you can't possibly know. In the case of this thread, those assertions are about SE's development process and the steps they're taking with Sony to ensure that the PS3 version of this game is shipped in a playable state. But this is hardly an isolated event.

So I've just got to know... what on Earth are you doing here?


Edited, Mar 14th 2013 12:41am by Callinon
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#59 Mar 14 2013 at 12:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Probably some kind of autism. I know that's probably why I'm here Smiley: lol
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#60 Mar 14 2013 at 12:06 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,102 posts
Poubelle wrote:
I don't see how the PS3 could evolve from its current pre-Alpha looking state into a sellable product on a Gamestop shelf within the next 6 months. I guess you're just really hopeful?


This right here, which you have failed to justify twice now; is exactly my point. You have no idea what the current state is, or even when that footage was made by SE. You also don't know the the PC release date is, let alone what goes in to optimizing the game for PS3, or how quickly they will be able to do it.. And I am not saying you're wrong, and I am not saying you're right, because I don't know. And YOU don't know. I am not hopeful, I am indifferent, because there is not enough information available to us to make a justified conclusion.
____________________________
------------------
#61 Mar 14 2013 at 12:10 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
I don't really like fanaticism . obviously, I'm here to discuss the game and keep up on info regarding it.

however, XIV was beyond awful. there's no point in being blindly hopeful for a revamp of it which includes boring rehashed gameplay/quest systems that I've seen in 100+ other games.

if they do somehow make history and turn FFXIV into something good, that's great. it just seems really unlikely.

I guess i do feel some weird need to keep you peoples heads out of the clouds

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 2:11am by Poubelle
____________________________
MUTED
#62 Mar 14 2013 at 12:15 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
also, I hate this mindset that FFXIV can somehow be good by making it a generic MMORPG with chocobos and moogles sprinkled on top.

I've played and enjoyed every Final Fantasy game so far, I guess the only one I didn't like much was 10/10-2.

I think it's important to remember the final fantasy games have moogles & chocobos & its job system, but those aren't what made those games good. and their inclusion in FFXIV won't make it good (obviously, from 1.0+)

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 2:17am by Poubelle
____________________________
MUTED
#63 Mar 14 2013 at 12:24 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,102 posts
Quote:
I guess i do feel some weird need to keep you peoples heads out of the clouds


So, you are pretty much Rob Reiner then.
____________________________
------------------
#64 Mar 14 2013 at 1:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
also you have a ton of level 50s... are you telling me you're going to WILLINGLY purchase the PS3 version when you can already play the PC one? you do know there's going to be a noticeable drop in graphic quality and frame rate, with the game likely being unplayable in large group activities right?


I only have three level 50s. I'll be playing quite a bit on my PC, but I don't like hiding out in my office for hours on end when I could be in the living room, actually sitting next to the person I'm playing with.

The PS3 version is currently being optimized, and the final version will be much better than the pre-optimization demo video.

And until there's any evidence suggesting the PS3 version will be delayed, there's no serious reason to believe it will be delayed. It's way too far along in production to be shelved until 2014. Also, the development team has stated repeatedly that the PC and PS3 versions will be launched together. So, my earlier point stands... either both will be delayed, or neither. It's looking a lot more like neither.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#65 Mar 14 2013 at 2:57 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
I have a stupid question for you Poubelle..

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

You've done nothing but espouse the belief that if FFXIV launches at all without bursting immediately into flames, that it will be the biggest unmitigated failure of design, execution, and flavor profile since the invention of the razor-lined fleshlight.

If you're just trying to troll, ok... you're bad at it, but ok... if you're genuinely interested in discussing FFXIV, then I have to wonder why you are looking at it in such a negative light. You realize this is a fansite right? Ostensibly a website where fans meet to discuss aspects of whatever they're fans of? In this case FFXIV?

Back at the launch of 1.0, I was really critical of the game, because I'd just spent that beta pointing out all the things it was doing wrong only to watch them do all of those things. So you know what I did? I left. I went away. I came back NOW because I think 2.0 has a shot and I'm desperately curious to see if they can pull it off. I want the game to succeed because I loved Final Fantasy and I loved FFXI.

You, on the other hand, seem to only want to describe all the ways in which it will surely fail. And the kicker is: unlike when I was doing something similar, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME YET.

You're making all these assertions about things you can't possibly know. In the case of this thread, those assertions are about SE's development process and the steps they're taking with Sony to ensure that the PS3 version of this game is shipped in a playable state. But this is hardly an isolated event.

So I've just got to know... what on Earth are you doing here?


Edited, Mar 14th 2013 12:41am by Callinon


Because it would be awfully boring w/o people to argue with ? I mean he is an idiot, but they did release 1.0 on PC and delayed the PS3 version until forever <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#66 Mar 14 2013 at 3:27 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Ostia wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
I have a stupid question for you Poubelle..

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

You've done nothing but espouse the belief that if FFXIV launches at all without bursting immediately into flames, that it will be the biggest unmitigated failure of design, execution, and flavor profile since the invention of the razor-lined fleshlight.

If you're just trying to troll, ok... you're bad at it, but ok... if you're genuinely interested in discussing FFXIV, then I have to wonder why you are looking at it in such a negative light. You realize this is a fansite right? Ostensibly a website where fans meet to discuss aspects of whatever they're fans of? In this case FFXIV?

Back at the launch of 1.0, I was really critical of the game, because I'd just spent that beta pointing out all the things it was doing wrong only to watch them do all of those things. So you know what I did? I left. I went away. I came back NOW because I think 2.0 has a shot and I'm desperately curious to see if they can pull it off. I want the game to succeed because I loved Final Fantasy and I loved FFXI.

You, on the other hand, seem to only want to describe all the ways in which it will surely fail. And the kicker is: unlike when I was doing something similar, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME YET.

You're making all these assertions about things you can't possibly know. In the case of this thread, those assertions are about SE's development process and the steps they're taking with Sony to ensure that the PS3 version of this game is shipped in a playable state. But this is hardly an isolated event.

So I've just got to know... what on Earth are you doing here?


Edited, Mar 14th 2013 12:41am by Callinon


Because it would be awfully boring w/o people to argue with ? I mean he is an idiot, but they did release 1.0 on PC and delayed the PS3 version until forever <.<


While that is true, it seems everything Tanaka said never happened. What I have noticed is that when Yoshi-P says something, he means it, then backs it up with results. He has beenpretty dead on with the time frames and such from day one. When the original roadmap wasn't going to make it's release, he told us all way ahead of time. When the new roadmap was released he hit the nail on the head again. So, until I hear different from him, I guess I'll just keep believing what he says.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#67 Mar 14 2013 at 3:37 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
LebargeX wrote:
So, until I hear different from him, I guess I'll just keep believing what he says.

Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train
Goin' anywhere
#68 Mar 14 2013 at 3:38 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
So, until I hear different from him, I guess I'll just keep believing what he says.

Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train
Goin' anywhere


Exactly!

LOL
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#69 Mar 14 2013 at 6:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Guys, the ignore button does work, just sayin' Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#70 Mar 14 2013 at 7:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Wint wrote:
Guys, the ignore button does work, just sayin' Smiley: nod


Yep but then we would be curious of what he is saying and the others reply. So i will never hit ignore button even if i wont reply! ^^
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#71 Mar 14 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Wow, I've been an admin for a very long time, and I didn't even know that existed!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#72 Mar 14 2013 at 9:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
You might as well call the ignore button the "I accept that I actually get mad about what someone says on the internet" button. I mean come on people, it's hilarious to me you're getting upset about what a guys who's ID is "Trash Can" is saying.
#73 Mar 14 2013 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Poubelle wrote:
Thayos wrote:
If they delay the PS3 version, then they'll delay the PC version, too.

But neither will be delayed, at least according to any information that's been released so far. Both versions appear on track for release, and I'm very excited to be able to sit in my living room and play while my wife plays on her laptop!


@bold - doubt it. I'm just making predictions here, but they'll likely re-release the PC version (digital only) sometime over the Summer, with PS3 version in early 2014.

this seems like the most realistic time frame.


Thank god we have Poubelle, the incredible analyst on the case.


They will not release one without the other. That would be the worst mistake they could make. It would mean they broke their promise, when they were being so good about keeping them until that point. They already proved they are not afraid to push the release back. ****, 2.0 was supposed to be OUT by now, in January/Feb. Not beta. Retail.

If your prediction is right, which it completely isn't, then this would be a repeat of 1.0 all over again. They need the PS3 user-base to bump up the sub numbers.

Lastly, what information are you analyzing? We have no information at all, pc and ps3. They aren't sneakily hiding it, as they've released some video. The fact that the beta roadmap lists ps3 testing in phase 3 is a clear indicator that they have it on track with the PC version.

Quote:
however, XIV was beyond awful.


You played how much of it? Because if they didn't take the servers down, I would still be playing. The changes brought by the end were very nice and I had lots of fun.

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 12:31pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#74 Mar 14 2013 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
je355804 wrote:
You might as well call the ignore button the "I accept that I actually get mad about what someone says on the internet" button. I mean come on people, it's hilarious to me you're getting upset about what a guys who's ID is "Trash Can" is saying.


Not really, I would think of it more as I don't want his trash cluttering up my forums than getting mad about what he says. I haven't banned him yet because all he is doing right now is trash talking a game, which is certainly within forum limits. If he ever pushes it beyond that then he's out of here. I would rather have Kachi's naysaying than his, I don't feel good about even putting them in the same category because they aren't really. Kachi can form constructive arguments and converse in a civil manner, Poubelle simply has sewage spilling from his keyboard and if you come up with a good counterpoint he just ignores it. Apples and oranges.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#75 Mar 14 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Wint wrote:
je355804 wrote:
You might as well call the ignore button the "I accept that I actually get mad about what someone says on the internet" button. I mean come on people, it's hilarious to me you're getting upset about what a guys who's ID is "Trash Can" is saying.


Not really, I would think of it more as I don't want his trash cluttering up my forums than getting mad about what he says. I haven't banned him yet because all he is doing right now is trash talking a game, which is certainly within forum limits. If he ever pushes it beyond that then he's out of here. I would rather have Kachi's naysaying than his, I don't feel good about even putting them in the same category because they aren't really. Kachi can form constructive arguments and converse in a civil manner, Poubelle simply has sewage spilling from his keyboard and if you come up with a good counterpoint he just ignores it. Apples and oranges.



Can't disagree.

Also, in his defense, as you said I believe Kachi presents valid arguments. While they may not be what we want to hear, sadly SE doesn't have many legs to stand on given it's last several numbered FF releases.
#76 Mar 14 2013 at 11:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I guess what I was trying to make clear is people are allowed to be negative about the game here. It may be wasting their time, and troll posts like Poubelle's certainly aren't constructive, but there are ways to ignore him and at some point his karma will hit the point where every new post is sub defaulted automatically. However, I'm not going to start banning people just because they're bashing the game, people are free to ignore him and skip over his comments, I can't help it if you want to read them though.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#77 Mar 14 2013 at 12:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I just show up for the Smiley: popcorn
____________________________


#78Poubelle, Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 1:53 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) enough. I preordered the collector's edition, have reached the cap level on Dragoon, tried out the other classes/crafting stuff, I also played a bit during the last month before the servers went down (at a friend's request...) so I am familiar with what changes have been made, and I don't think they're significant enough.
#79 Mar 14 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Quote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but the game still didn't even have an auction counter. one of the simplest things people wanted. there was a search function, but everything was still done through that ridiculously stupid/awful NPC bazaar system.

not even a main complaint about the game, but just one thing that made me scratch my chin. on that subject, are we still going to be using retainers in 2.0...?


It was the same thing as the FFXI "Auction house" which never was an auction house in the real sense. But at the games close you didn't even have to go into the retainers wards, you could buy from the search menu (though, in Ul'Dah, the server was so congested, due to engine limitations on the number of people in 1 area that they made you go in to buy after it caused too much lag and stress)

As far as 2.0, they said we will have both retainers and AH.

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 4:18pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#80 Mar 14 2013 at 4:24 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
The difference between Poubelle and Kachi is that Kachi knows what he/she(?) is talking about. You can't have an intelligent debate with a person who is full of opinions but has neither the education nor the information necessary to back up those opinions.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#81Poubelle, Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 4:58 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) must be nice to brush someone off whom you disagree with as uneducated and uninformed.
#82 Mar 14 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Kachi is a video game developer. I'm working on a master's degree in programming.

What's your qualifications, beyond being a video game enthusiast?

If you want people to not call you ignorant, you have to prove them wrong if they've gotten the wrong first impression of you.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#83 Mar 14 2013 at 5:10 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
now you're just bordering on insanity. you don't need to be an author to critique a book. I might just be a 'video games enthusiast' but I have a pretty good idea of what's fun and what isn't.

apparently you think only programmers and game developers deserve to have their opinions heard. let me educate you. these games are made to sell to and please the consumers. "disgusting commonfolk" such as myself. I would say that since the opinions of these non-programmers, non-game developers are what dictate sales, what they think is pretty relevant.
____________________________
MUTED
#84 Mar 14 2013 at 5:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Poubelle wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but the game still didn't even have an auction counter. one of the simplest things people wanted. there was a search function, but everything was still done through that ridiculously stupid/awful NPC bazaar system.


You are wrong. Can't say more than that due to NDA.
____________________________




#85 Mar 14 2013 at 5:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Poubelle wrote:
I have a pretty good idea of what's fun and what isn't.


For you, sure, but other people may find fun what you hate. You can't even seem to acknowledge that the game you seem to hate might be the most fun thing another person has ever played and because they disagree with you then they're automatically a rabid fanboy.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#86 Mar 14 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Poubelle wrote:
whenever a naysayer appears, you people devolve into savage animals.


You've been here long enough to know that we have many beloved naysayers, and many of them come highly rated.
#87 Mar 14 2013 at 7:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
153 posts
You all are being so rude.
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
#88 Mar 14 2013 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
catwho wrote:
Kachi is a video game developer. I'm working on a master's degree in programming.

What's your qualifications, beyond being a video game enthusiast?

If you want people to not call you ignorant, you have to prove them wrong if they've gotten the wrong first impression of you.


Not to undermine what I have to say, but I wouldn't call myself a video game developer insomuch as I'm not currently developing a (traditional at least) video game. A game designer, yes, but at least to me there's still an appreciable difference between the two. Though, I guess a look at any app store or SNS lends a dubious air to the title anyway. We do hope and plan to move in that direction in time. At least I can say that I am consistently swimming in hundreds of pages of game design documents.

That aside, it brings mixed feelings to see my name alongside Poubelle's so many times in one conversation, though ostensibly being defended in the same breath. Smiley: lol
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#89 Mar 14 2013 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Poubelle wrote:
now you're just bordering on insanity. you don't need to be an author to critique a book. I might just be a 'video games enthusiast' but I have a pretty good idea of what's fun and what isn't.

apparently you think only programmers and game developers deserve to have their opinions heard. let me educate you. these games are made to sell to and please the consumers. "disgusting commonfolk" such as myself. I would say that since the opinions of these non-programmers, non-game developers are what dictate sales, what they think is pretty relevant.


I'd have more respect for your opinion if you had more respect for the English language. Unless you're a quadriplegic typing with a straw, there's no excuse not to hit the shift key and capitalize your sentences. Good arguments are not only well crafted, they are well presented.

Again, the burden of proof is upon you to convince us that what you're saying is worth listening to. So far in that you have failed. There's a reason that ZAM rediscovered the ignore button in threads you've posted in.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#90 Mar 14 2013 at 9:33 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Khornette wrote:
Poubelle wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but the game still didn't even have an auction counter. one of the simplest things people wanted. there was a search function, but everything was still done through that ridiculously stupid/awful NPC bazaar system.


You are wrong. Can't say more than that due to NDA.


Khornette wrote:
Poubelle wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but the game still didn't even have an auction counter. one of the simplest things people wanted. there was a search function, but everything was still done through that ridiculously stupid/awful NPC bazaar system.


You are wrong. Can't say more than that due to NDA.


Technically he was right, since he was talking about 1.0.... Jesus lol
____________________________
MUTED
#91 Mar 14 2013 at 9:44 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
If I remember right, the search menu was eventually changed to allow you to purchase straight from the menu. Yeah, if you wanted to sell anything, you still had to stuff it on the retainer, but that wasn't really that different from us sticking things on mules overnight in Rolanmart in XI. Purchasing was considerably easier by the time 1.23 shut down.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#92 Mar 14 2013 at 9:48 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Easier yes ? AH quility No! I guess that is what he is reffering too ?
____________________________
MUTED
#93 Mar 14 2013 at 10:33 PM Rating: Good
***
3,450 posts
Quote:
At least I can say that I am consistently swimming in hundreds of pages of game design documents


You should really consider putting those in a binder or something... it's just... I mean... swimming around in them can't be good.

Missing an AH was definitely one of the more questionable decisions about 1.0. It was an obvious flaw to begin with, but earlier today it made me think...

What was the vision?

Seriously, what was Tanaka envisioning there? How did the rooms full of retainers selling random garbage work in his mind? It must have worked somehow right? I mean, he did that on purpose. So how did he intend for that to work?
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#94 Mar 14 2013 at 10:36 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
At least I can say that I am consistently swimming in hundreds of pages of game design documents


You should really consider putting those in a binder or something... it's just... I mean... swimming around in them can't be good.

Missing an AH was definitely one of the more questionable decisions about 1.0. It was an obvious flaw to begin with, but earlier today it made me think...

What was the vision?

Seriously, what was Tanaka envisioning there? How did the rooms full of retainers selling random garbage work in his mind? It must have worked somehow right? I mean, he did that on purpose. So how did he intend for that to work?


The same way having a smithy in battle parties to pour potions on metal based monsters to weaken them works. It doesn't. I think havin them as a bazaar works but I can't imagine how they were ever meant to completely take the place of a full AH.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#95 Mar 14 2013 at 10:44 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,450 posts
Quote:
The same way having a smithy in battle parties to pour potions on metal based monsters to weaken them works. It doesn't. I think havin them as a bazaar works but I can't imagine how they were ever meant to completely take the place of a full AH.


I can't either, but they WERE supposed to do that. It's just an interesting mental challenge really.. what was he envisioning there?

Also you brought up another good point. The crafting and gathering classes were intended to be used in group play right along with the combat classes. How was that really supposed to work?

I could only come up with one possibility for that one, and it'd only apply to large-scale endgame activities. Here's the scenario I'm thinking of here.. You've got a large group of people (40 or 50-something people). About 80% of them are combat-oriented in some way, melee, caster, healer, or tank. The rest of the group is made up of some sort of logistical support corps. Crafters sitting in the back, repairing or altering weapons and armor throughout the fight as needed, with gatherers collecting materials for them to do that. It would even be possible to set up an encounter to facilitate this with materials around the room for the gatherers to go get and bring back to the crafters to support the overall effort.

It would be a really interesting logistical puzzle, and add a depth to raid encounters not previously seen if it could be pulled off.

Of course what happened is that it was complete nonsense; which is what is going to happen to a system like that 99 times out of 100.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#96 Mar 14 2013 at 11:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
153 posts
will PS3 version get delayed?

Yes it will.

End thread.
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
#97 Mar 14 2013 at 11:45 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
The same way having a smithy in battle parties to pour potions on metal based monsters to weaken them works. It doesn't. I think havin them as a bazaar works but I can't imagine how they were ever meant to completely take the place of a full AH.


I can't either, but they WERE supposed to do that. It's just an interesting mental challenge really.. what was he envisioning there?

Also you brought up another good point. The crafting and gathering classes were intended to be used in group play right along with the combat classes. How was that really supposed to work?

I could only come up with one possibility for that one, and it'd only apply to large-scale endgame activities. Here's the scenario I'm thinking of here.. You've got a large group of people (40 or 50-something people). About 80% of them are combat-oriented in some way, melee, caster, healer, or tank. The rest of the group is made up of some sort of logistical support corps. Crafters sitting in the back, repairing or altering weapons and armor throughout the fight as needed, with gatherers collecting materials for them to do that. It would even be possible to set up an encounter to facilitate this with materials around the room for the gatherers to go get and bring back to the crafters to support the overall effort.

It would be a really interesting logistical puzzle, and add a depth to raid encounters not previously seen if it could be pulled off.

Of course what happened is that it was complete nonsense; which is what is going to happen to a system like that 99 times out of 100.



I suppose it could be added to the Fate system at some point. An alliance of crafters acting like an engineering squad or something like you mentioned is pretty neato. But yeah for day to day questing etc... Not so much.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#98 Mar 14 2013 at 11:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
onineko wrote:
will PS3 version get delayed?

Yes it will.

End thread.


Nuh uh.

End thread
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#99Poubelle, Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 11:59 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You're asking someone who thinks item durability repair/breaking systems are completely stupid to begin with, but yes I'm not sure where they were going with that.
#100 Mar 15 2013 at 12:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
You should really consider putting those in a binder or something... it's just... I mean... swimming around in them can't be good.


I switched to a file folder hierarchy after all the papercuts started to incur significant bandaid expenses.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#101 Mar 15 2013 at 1:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
153 posts
Face it!
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 83 All times are in CST
Callinon, Lyrailis, squiress, Thayos, Anonymous Guests (79)