Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Is "Black Mage" class OP in FFXIV?Follow

#1 Feb 27 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
21 posts
I remember when the time I played FFXI years ago, the black mage is pretty op'd, they sleep they bind they cast super powerful magics. What is the case in FFXIV based on 1.0? So yeah, I'm asking about the balance between classes and specifically about the black mage class in FFXIV ^^
#2 Feb 27 2013 at 2:43 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
hikoneko wrote:
I remember when the time I played FFXI years ago, the black mage is pretty op'd, they sleep they bind they cast super powerful magics. What is the case in FFXIV based on 1.0? So yeah, I'm asking about the balance between classes and specifically about the black mage class in FFXIV ^^


It's a lot more balanced compared to its melee DPS counterparts but still on the strong side. It would thrive in certain situations where an all out manaburn would be required, though steps were taken to combat using this strategy on a lot of bosses/crucial fights. Or in a fight where distance was required.

Think of BLM kind of like WHM... you're going to need one for pretty much every important fight, but 1 is often enough.

Looks like it will command some pretty powerful magic in ARR though, so you never know. A Meteo limit break may be more consistently more powerful than all of the other damaging limits.

But that's just my 2 cents really. I did all of the content in 1.0 pretty much, save for the Hardmode of the final boss, and with one exception I wasn't stacking BLMs (pre-update Garuda fight).

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 2:43pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#3 Feb 27 2013 at 2:46 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
They summon fireballs and **** lightning. From their eyes.
Even thinking about them makes enemies explode.
Having one in your PT is like a free ticket to defeat Absolute Virtue.
That's the reason why only one of them is allowed in PvP. Per server.
Imagine a cross-breed between Allakhazam and Sun Zu. That's a Black Mages's toenail.
#4 Feb 27 2013 at 2:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Allakhazam.

Hey, why does "Chu*k Norris" show up as Allakhazam in posts?
#5 Feb 27 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Allakhazam.

Hey, why does "Chu*k Norris" show up as Allakhazam in posts?


Rinsui wrote:
Allakhazam.

Hey, why does "Chu*k Norris" show up as Allakhazam in posts?


How long have you been on the internet? lol :P

People used to say it as a flippant response or everything would be Chu*ck Norris... http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/chuck-norris-top-50-facts
It was like an in-text meme, and it got pretty tired.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 2:54pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#6 Feb 27 2013 at 2:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,658 posts
Let's put it this way OP:

If you wanted to run content with the general playerbase they forced you onto BLM.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 12:55pm by Theonehio
#7 Feb 27 2013 at 2:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
How long have you been on the internet? lol :P

Why? Is it considered common knowledge?

Anyway, to the OP: No Black Mages are not overpowered; in fact all DDs will be on a *more* equal footing than before, since all start with full TP (meaning they can use weaponskills off the bat).
#8 Feb 27 2013 at 2:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Let's put it this way OP:

If you wanted to run content with the general playerbase they forced you onto BLM.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 12:55pm by Theonehio


People requested it often... but... it wasn't really as essential or as OP as it was in XI, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 2:57pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#9 Feb 27 2013 at 2:58 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
How long have you been on the internet? lol :P

Why? Is it considered common knowledge?

Anyway, to the OP: No Black Mages are not overpowered; in fact all DDs will be on a *more* equal footing than before, since all start with full TP (meaning they can use weaponskills off the bat).


It's pretty 2007, if not earlier.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 2:59pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#10 Feb 27 2013 at 3:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,658 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
Let's put it this way OP:

If you wanted to run content with the general playerbase they forced you onto BLM.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 12:55pm by Theonehio


People requested it often... but... it wasn't really as essential or as OP as it was in XI, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 2:57pm by Onionthiefx


If geared properly (and the easiest to gear honestly) it was just as OP in XIV and how a lot of people actually achieved their speed runs. It's more of the "easy" way out due to it's power but it's not something you can pick up and play and be OP, like in XI not any blm was OP because there were BLM Automaton, SCHs and RDMs who could out nuke your standard BLM.

If you geared it properly to get little to no resists, Thunder combos from 4+ BLMs were basically the end of any boss. Few fights where BLM burning didn't work on and Melees excelled at but the majority of content you were more likely to be thrown onto BLM for it due to its power.
#11 Feb 27 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
21 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
Let's put it this way OP:

If you wanted to run content with the general playerbase they forced you onto BLM.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 12:55pm by Theonehio


People requested it often... but... it wasn't really as essential or as OP as it was in XI, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 2:57pm by Onionthiefx


Onionthiefx wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
Let's put it this way OP:

If you wanted to run content with the general playerbase they forced you onto BLM.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 12:55pm by Theonehio


People requested it often... but... it wasn't really as essential or as OP as it was in XI, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 2:57pm by Onionthiefx


Yeah, i compare that to FFXI

I just want FFXIV to have a better balance between classes instead of a bunch of blm can destroy everything once they group together, that does make other jobs feel worthless at certain point.

In ffxi, it make me feel like the function of two melees in a party is to do a skill chain for the blm to put up their fancy show (make a super powerful magic burst), why can't it the opposite at least sometimes to let close range classes to show their strength too? that's my concern.
#12 Feb 27 2013 at 4:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
21 posts
Quote:

Anyway, to the OP: No Black Mages are not overpowered; in fact all DDs will be on a *more* equal footing than before, since all start with full TP (meaning they can use weaponskills off the bat).


I'm totally agree that almost all blm are op'd, so there should be something in the game that could get the mages easily in both pve and pvp side, so that makes a match instead of a no-match game :)
#13 Feb 27 2013 at 4:07 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
I've finally found my siggy.


Rinsui wrote:
They summon fireballs and **** lightning. From their eyes.
Even thinking about them makes enemies explode.
Having one in your PT is like a free ticket to defeat Absolute Virtue.
That's the reason why only one of them is allowed in PvP. Per server.
Imagine a cross-breed between Allakhazam and Sun Zu. That's a Black Mages's toenail.

#14 Feb 27 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
hikoneko wrote:


In ffxi, it make me feel like the function of two melees in a party is to do a skill chain for the blm to put up their fancy show (make a super powerful magic burst), why can't it the opposite at least sometimes to let close range classes to show their strength too? that's my concern.


No one even does magic bursts on purpose really anymore.

I don't recall BLM ever being OP.
#15 Feb 27 2013 at 5:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
In 14, Blm was pretty OP, IMO. I leveled it just to get invited to fight Ifrit. Ifrit and Moogle King had a preferred setup of BLM burns, as well as most of the dungeons.

Garuda was a BLM burn at one point but they changed it to make more jobs desirable, and in a few story quests, Blm was semi- useless because of high magic resists, but there was still a role for 1 or 2 blms during these fights..

In all, BLM was desired by PUGS because many people thought it was the easiest way, since you could assume even a bad blm was decent, but they did a good job of trying to make all jobs useful. The only slight on this is Paladin, which wasn't even the best tank for many events, and 2 was absolutely pointless, whereas if you had multiple warriors, one could tank while the others did dmg.
____________________________


#16 Feb 27 2013 at 6:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
588 posts
Louiscool wrote:
In 14, Blm was pretty OP, IMO. I leveled it just to get invited to fight Ifrit. Ifrit and Moogle King had a preferred setup of BLM burns, as well as most of the dungeons.

Garuda was a BLM burn at one point but they changed it to make more jobs desirable, and in a few story quests, Blm was semi- useless because of high magic resists, but there was still a role for 1 or 2 blms during these fights..

In all, BLM was desired by PUGS because many people thought it was the easiest way, since you could assume even a bad blm was decent, but they did a good job of trying to make all jobs useful. The only slight on this is Paladin, which wasn't even the best tank for many events, and 2 was absolutely pointless, whereas if you had multiple warriors, one could tank while the others did dmg.


I saw some pretty sweet parties with almost exclusively dragoons. A well geared Dragoon could deal some serious damage.

Edited, Feb 27th 2013 7:21pm by kainsilv
____________________________



#17 Feb 27 2013 at 7:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
How long have you been on the internet? lol :P

Why? Is it considered common knowledge?


It's pretty common knowledge. It's one of the reasons they got (Doh, he who shall not be named) to do a WoW commercial. He was an internet celebrity for a long while with that meme, even among gamers.


Edited, Feb 27th 2013 5:59pm by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#18 Mar 01 2013 at 12:46 AM Rating: Good
Who are we talking about here, Chuck Norris?
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#19 Mar 01 2013 at 2:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Why does his Chuck show up as Norris, and mine as Allakhazam?
#20 Mar 01 2013 at 3:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
There are lots of ways to break filters, not sure which he used. Chuck Norris
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#21 Mar 01 2013 at 4:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Why does his Chuck show up as Norris, and mine as Allakhazam?


Somehow slipped in a link between the 'h' and the 'u' according to the HTML.

Who are we talking about here, Ch<a href="HTTP://www.example.com/" rel="external nofollow" title="www.example.com/"></a>uck Norris?
#22 Mar 01 2013 at 4:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Basically, it only filters the exact text that they put in. Change anything, even bold a single letter, and the filter no longer recognizes it. That includes things that won't show up at all. You can see that I just bolded the "i" when I did it.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#23 Mar 01 2013 at 12:19 PM Rating: Good
Breaking the profanity filter is very easy. Still not recommended outside of the Asylum, though, lest you face Admin Wrath.

____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#24 Mar 01 2013 at 4:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
It's more fun to break the non-profanity ones, like lol PUP and lol DRG.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#25 Mar 04 2013 at 1:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Regex solves most of these issues.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#26 Mar 04 2013 at 3:03 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Allakhazam. I totally had to try. Smiley: grin
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 92 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (90)