Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Something to keep our eye's open out for down the roadFollow

#1 Feb 27 2013 at 10:52 PM Rating: Excellent
**
618 posts
Just a FYI from a ticket sent into SE the other day and the response. Dealt with downloading the ARR version for free like they mentioned in the past. I wanted to double check being I was away for a while and not sure if anything changed.

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

The software for the PC version of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN will be distributed online for those who have an existing FINAL FANTASY XIV service account. This software will be provided free of charge. An announcement will be made in advance of the release of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN providing instructions on how to download the new software.

If you do not possess the original FINAL FANTASY XIV software, and did not register a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account prior to the closure, a new package will become available to purchase once A REALM REBORN is released. You are required to have a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account associated to your Square Enix account in order to play. Individual purchases for each version of FINAL FANTASY XIV are not needed.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.
___________
For additional assistance with this issue, you can reply to this email directly. For assistance with a new issue, please visit the SQUARE ENIX Support Center
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#2 Feb 27 2013 at 11:07 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
So if you had an SE account that had XIV 1.0 registered to it at any point, it seems they'll give you a link to the digital download. Very reasonable.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#3 Feb 27 2013 at 11:54 PM Rating: Good
***
3,712 posts
Apparently my 1.0 beta account counts as that.

Wonder if that gets me a free copy.... Smiley: dubious
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#4 Feb 28 2013 at 12:43 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
123 posts
My account ran out and by the time I realized I wasnt ablt to reactivate my account I hope ill still get the sqex hook ups
____________________________
Show me your n00bs
#5 Feb 28 2013 at 7:03 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
254 posts
What if you have a copy of ffxiv but didn't ever play and register a service account because of the bad reviews? I wonder if you give them your reg code if they will let you download the new version?
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#6 Feb 28 2013 at 7:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Skaditoo wrote:
What if you have a copy of ffxiv but didn't ever play and register a service account because of the bad reviews? I wonder if you give them your reg code if they will let you download the new version?


Im going to say no on that one.You bought it but never even played it, so theres no proof you didn't just snatch up a copy just before they pulled them from shelves and were selling for 10 dollars. It's a lot of extra work to allow people with discs but no accounts to get the game for free.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#7 Feb 28 2013 at 7:24 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
254 posts
Well I didn't but I thought if it was cheaper, I might pick up one off half.com or ebay and use that, they are going to get my monthly fee anyway, why pay more if you don't have to :p

Also, in the same vein, will buddy passes require your friend to purchase the software before playing? or free download and play for a month or w/e?
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#8 Feb 28 2013 at 7:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
18 posts
Buddy pass is something like trial. You ownload game, have limited acess and time, its just to try out the game (Few days max I would say). Then they have to buy their own copy, etc.

P.S.: I am also wondering why almost every retailer in my country are still selling the v.1 of the game. All of them, not just one...


Edited, Feb 28th 2013 8:31am by Waiwan
#9 Feb 28 2013 at 7:47 AM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
Does this mean that if you buy a PS3 version for someone you live with, and you already have the PC box and account, that both people in the house will be able to play on both platforms, despite each only having purchased one platform, because both will have individual FFXIV accounts?

I know accounts will be cross-platform, and I know you'll need to buy a physical copy of the PS3 game if you want to have access to that, but I am just unclear if simply having physical access to the PS3 game (or the PC game) is enough to be able to play on it, given you have a FFXIV account.

Also, does this mean that PS3 exclusive players will be able to download the client for PC without a separate charge?

#10 Feb 28 2013 at 7:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
Does this mean that if you buy a PS3 version for someone you live with, and you already have the PC box and account, that both people in the house will be able to play on both platforms, despite each only having purchased one platform, because both will have individual FFXIV accounts?

I know accounts will be cross-platform, and I know you'll need to buy a physical copy of the PS3 game if you want to have access to that, but I am just unclear if simply having physical access to the PS3 game (or the PC game) is enough to be able to play on it, given you have a FFXIV account.

Also, does this mean that PS3 exclusive players will be able to download the client for PC without a separate charge?



1) Yes

2) No, but nice try Smiley: smile PC users will have to buy the PS3 version and vice versa.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#11 Feb 28 2013 at 8:03 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
254 posts
ok, so they won't give you a download link, but say you got the software from a friend, and then used an old v1 reg code (or w/e they had in the box in the first edition) I wonder if that would work to beat a dead horse :p
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#12 Feb 28 2013 at 8:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
It's unlikely that a company would oversee a loophole that could be exploited to cost them a huge amount of money in the future.
This should cover both your current and all your future questions.
#13 Feb 28 2013 at 8:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
The exact words from them is this: "The software for the PC version of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN will be distributed online for those who have an existing FINAL FANTASY XIV service account." (Bolding mine.)

If you didn't register your 1.0 game after you bought it, you don't get a free copy of the new one. Registering it for the free trial but then not continuing still counts, however.

Just buying an old copy of 1.0 from the bargain bin may not be enough to get you a new copy, since you can't register the old copies.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#14 Feb 28 2013 at 8:27 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
254 posts
Rinsui wrote:
It's unlikely that a company would oversee a loophole that could be exploited to cost them a huge amount of money in the future.
This should cover both your current and all your future questions.

I doubt they are expecting to make a "huge amount" off the initial sale of the software, the subscription is where the real cash is imo
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#15 Feb 28 2013 at 8:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Skaditoo wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
It's unlikely that a company would oversee a loophole that could be exploited to cost them a huge amount of money in the future.
This should cover both your current and all your future questions.

I doubt they are expecting to make a "huge amount" off the initial sale of the software, the subscription is where the real cash is imo


In the age of fly-by-night mmo players who leave after the free trial, software sales are a big number. Smiley: grin

But you can always try. Contact support, who knows. I still don't understand why you would buy it an then not even put the disc in the tray. Regardless of reviews, if I buy a game, I play it. You had 30 free days..
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#16 Feb 28 2013 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
254 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Skaditoo wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
It's unlikely that a company would oversee a loophole that could be exploited to cost them a huge amount of money in the future.
This should cover both your current and all your future questions.

I doubt they are expecting to make a "huge amount" off the initial sale of the software, the subscription is where the real cash is imo


In the age of fly-by-night mmo players who leave after the free trial, software sales are a big number. Smiley: grin

But you can always try. Contact support, who knows. I still don't understand why you would buy it an then not even put the disc in the tray. Regardless of reviews, if I buy a game, I play it. You had 30 free days..


No, I didn't purchase v1, I was thinking about purchasing one of the ones that was still out there on the market, the whole thing about not playing it was just a sample justification someone might use. I just thought it might be a way to save a little up front. it's all speculation at this point though, I will probably just go the download route, as I assume they will offer via digital distribution as well as physical media?
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#17 Feb 28 2013 at 9:04 AM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
I'm really glad I bought FFXIV when it was in the bargain bin (the virtual bargain bin at Amazon, that is), and registered it (although I just never got into 1.x mechanics).

Although legally, I'm not entirely sure that if you buy a 1.0 box, they can prevent you from accessing updated content that isn't being sold as an add-on. They are adamant this is the same game, so if you've purchased the game, you should be entitled to any content that anyone else is, even if you haven't registered it yet. I don't see this being a battle that SE would want to fight--sure, they're gonna wanna keep all the old SKUs off the shelves, sell newer ones, but do they want to fight people who purchased the game, even at a discount, and are willing to play it and pay a monthly fee?
#18 Feb 28 2013 at 9:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Not to add to the confusion but they have said buddy passes for 1.0 will work in 2.0.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1360123057172013720

____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#19 Feb 28 2013 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
I thought i read somewhere that they asked all retailers to pull old copys off the shelf and payed an amount of money per copy.

I believe this is considered a "new" game even thought its still ff14.
#20 Feb 28 2013 at 9:22 AM Rating: Good
**
618 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
I'm really glad I bought FFXIV when it was in the bargain bin (the virtual bargain bin at Amazon, that is), and registered it (although I just never got into 1.x mechanics).
Although legally, I'm not entirely sure that if you buy a 1.0 box, they can prevent you from accessing updated content that isn't being sold as an add-on. They are adamant this is the same game, so if you've purchased the game, you should be entitled to any content that anyone else is, even if you haven't registered it yet. I don't see this being a battle that SE would want to fight--sure, they're gonna wanna keep all the old SKUs off the shelves, sell newer ones, but do they want to fight people who purchased the game, even at a discount, and are willing to play it and pay a monthly fee?



Bold part means you are fine and will have access to the download for free when it becomes available. For the non bold part,
they clearly mentioned in the past that users who were playing the game would get access to the new version free of charge. If you don't have a SE account during the time V1 was playing all this shows is that you weren't part of the group that had to deal with issues when V1 was running so you will need to purchase the V2 copy. If you had the SE account but never registered the game, it still proves that you never dealt with the issues from V1 so you will still have to purchase the game when it becomes available.

Sadly any business can dictate on how people can get access to their product at any given time. Is it a smart business decision to go that route, probably not but they can still do it.

If you have other questions stemming from the email I got when sent in the ticket, all I can suggest is send one in on your own asking them how this will work in your case.


edit: bold part

Edited, Feb 28th 2013 10:23am by SillyHawk
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#21 Feb 28 2013 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Wint wrote:
Not to add to the confusion but they have said buddy passes for 1.0 will work in 2.0.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1360123057172013720



That's excellent news.
#22 Feb 28 2013 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
**
618 posts
Torrence wrote:
Wint wrote:
Not to add to the confusion but they have said buddy passes for 1.0 will work in 2.0.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1360123057172013720



That's excellent news.


It is, but back in V1 a buddy pass was worth the actual full unlocked game, didn't have to buy the software, no limitations. Will that be the case this time around?
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#23 Feb 28 2013 at 10:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Which was quite an upset for me, having purchased 2 CE's for me and the SO. Not to mention, I know that I cancelled something-- hopefully not the thing I need for the free download.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#24 Feb 28 2013 at 11:37 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
I have the feeling I'm screwed.
I was in the alpha/beta for 1.0, bought the CE for it, but I left 2 weeks after release tho. I do not recall canceling my FFXIV account, but it's not there now, just FFXI. Smiley: frown
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#25 Feb 28 2013 at 11:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I would contact their support.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#26 Feb 28 2013 at 11:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Wint wrote:
I would contact their support.


As a veteran of FFXI, that's a **** scary prospect. Smiley: tongue
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 57 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (57)