Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

PS3: Keyboard vs ControllerFollow

#52 Mar 04 2013 at 7:55 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
cazzles wrote:
I've never played FFXIV but I did play FFXI for years on PC using solely the keyboard, never used the mouse. I expect FFXIV will be fairly similar?

I'm going to be playing on PS3 and initially thought I could just get a wireless keyboard and use that alone. But having watched the gamepad videos released by Square Enix (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hqbg9_ZJLw) the controller seems quite effective and user-friendly.

Having played FFXI, I realise the importance of being able to communicate with the other players, so at least some form of typing will be necessary... So what are your views on using:

1) Full-sized wireless Keyboard, no gamepad/controller

2) Gamepad/Controller and mini keypad (something like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xvISXjIIL._SX300_.jpg) <-- Has anyone used these?

OR

3) Mixture of gamepad/controller and a full-sized keyboard <-- Would that be too difficult to keep dropping/picking up your controller to type?



I've always wondered whether something such as the Xbox controller keypad would work as a keyboard on the PC. I use that controller for XIV 1.0 and will for 2.0 as well. Would be interesting if in-game I can type using it.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#53 Mar 04 2013 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
325 posts
When I played FFXI on my PS3 I used the controller for gameplay and a PS2 USB logitech keyboard for chatting, worked out great.

Here's the keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-USB-Keyboard-Playstation-2/dp/B00008OQTI
____________________________
FFXIV
Name: Z'veagan Brolz
Server: Ultros
Linkshell/FC: Lootwhorindramafest
#54 Mar 04 2013 at 10:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Heh, Kachi and I used that Keyboard/Controller combo to great effect Smiley: laugh
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#55 Mar 05 2013 at 12:56 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
I can't use it for ****! I never found it comfortable, even though I think it's ergonomically well made. It's in my desk, dead. I'll prolly use it for ps3 ffxiv though. I think I'll find it more comfortable for an MMO though, seeing as the pacing of the game is different from single player games.
#56 Mar 05 2013 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Wint wrote:
Heh, Kachi and I used that Keyboard/Controller combo to great effect Smiley: laugh


They'll have to work it into our slash fanfic XD
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#57 Mar 05 2013 at 9:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kachi wrote:
Wint wrote:
Heh, Kachi and I used that Keyboard/Controller combo to great effect Smiley: laugh


They'll have to work it into our slash fanfic XD


I'm really going to have to watch what I say from now on aren't I?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#58 Mar 05 2013 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
It will probably be funnier for all of us if you don't Smiley: lol
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#59 Mar 05 2013 at 10:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Between my poorly worded posts and the fun randomness of my iPhone's autocorrect you all are in for a ton of fun then Smiley: tongue
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#60 Mar 07 2013 at 3:32 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
To chime in here, I use keyboard and gamepad and I don't find it difficult at all to switch between, I never even notice really - like I just do it unconsciously. That said I usually type with one hand and have the controller in the other so I am never really dropping the gamepad
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#61 Mar 07 2013 at 4:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Iron Chef Olorinus wrote:
To chime in here, I use keyboard and gamepad and I don't find it difficult at all to switch between, I never even notice really - like I just do it unconsciously. That said I usually type with one hand and have the controller in the other so I am never really dropping the gamepad


Yeah but she's a horrible typist Smiley: tongue

I kid I kid
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#62 Mar 07 2013 at 7:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
Veagan wrote:
When I played FFXI on my PS3 I used the controller for gameplay and a PS2 USB logitech keyboard for chatting, worked out great.

Here's the keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-USB-Keyboard-Playstation-2/dp/B00008OQTI


I still have that keyboard in a closet somewhere. Used it for XI on the PS2 as well.
#63 Mar 08 2013 at 12:44 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,102 posts
Do you guys have any suggestions for a PC Gamepad? Maybe something wireless? Laptop has Bluetooth...
____________________________
------------------
#64 Mar 08 2013 at 6:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Well I thought we had a thread on this already but I can't find it. A lot of people have had good luck with getting their 360 or PS3 controllers to work with the MotionInJoy drivers, but I'm not one of them. I have just a regular wired Logitech F310 and I think it's just dandy Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#65 Mar 08 2013 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Wint wrote:

Yeah but she's a horrible typist Smiley: tongue

I kid I kid


Smiley: dubious

actually I am pretty bad

Ryklin the Malevolent wrote:
Do you guys have any suggestions for a PC Gamepad? Maybe something wireless? Laptop has Bluetooth...


I just use a WIRED xbox controller. It required no fiddling/extra programs at all. It just worked. But it has to be a 100% wired one.


Edited, Mar 8th 2013 2:22pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#66 Mar 08 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Yeah I had a wired XBox controller that worked well, and was cheap refurbished at Gamestop.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#67 Mar 08 2013 at 6:11 PM Rating: Good
I personally like the Xbox controller best. I have a PS3 controller wired in to the USB, but the connection to the controller is loose and it screws with the game sometimes. Get you a 360 controller my man. Unless you're looking for something super fancy, like this ridiculousness here.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#68 Mar 09 2013 at 12:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Yea, the wired xbox is the most reliable one. I just hate the Dpad. With the old system, you might actually hit up or down by mistake and go to the wrong ability bar. It's especially worse now since you have to use abilities by holding down LT and RT and using the face buttons to use your moves. Hitting left and accidentally hitting down back would be irritating.

My solution was: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362809848&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+turbo+controller+xbox+360

It has a better D pad, and it also has some of the shoulder buttons on it's face so that might actually make playing easier for me. I only went with hori because I use Hori products for my arcade fight sticks.

IKickYoDog wrote:
I personally like the Xbox controller best. I have a PS3 controller wired in to the USB, but the connection to the controller is loose and it screws with the game sometimes. Get you a 360 controller my man. Unless you're looking for something super fancy, like this ridiculousness here.


I think it's best to just get the ps2 usb adapter for 5-10 bucks and use a ps2 controller if you want the Dual Shock feel. I use my ps2 controller for FFXIV and it was awesome.(Till my controller gave out and the analog light started flickering). With the ps3 controller like you mentioned if it unplugs accidentally, you had to restart FFXIV. In the middle of a raid, that could be taxing. I think there was a patch later that made it so you just had to plug it back in and hit the enable on motion joy and it read the controller like a 360 pad again. Because you can unplug a wired 360 pad and plug it back in and it would still work in the final days of FFXIV.


Edited, Mar 9th 2013 1:28am by GDLYL
#69 Mar 09 2013 at 1:12 AM Rating: Good
GDLYL wrote:
I think it's best to just get the ps2 usb adapter for 5-10 bucks and use a ps2 controller if you want the Dual Shock feel. I use my ps2 controller for FFXIV and it was awesome.(Till my controller gave out and the analog light started flickering). With the ps3 controller like you mentioned if it unplugs accidentally, you had to restart FFXIV. In the middle of a raid, that could be taxing. I think there was a patch later that made it so you just had to plug it back in and hit the enable on motion joy and it read the controller like a 360 pad again. Because you can unplug a wired 360 pad and plug it back in and it would still work in the final days of FFXIV.


I had a USB / mini USB chord that worked really well before, but I left it at a friend's house and the other one I have doesn't fit quite right. I'm replaying FFXII atm and it keeps wanting to make me flee from fights for no reason. Other than that it's just as solid as the 360, except for the feel of it. If you want a 360 controller with a better d-pad, look at these:

RAZER Onza

RAZER Sabretooth
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#70 Mar 09 2013 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Those controllers look pretty sweet. However, they seem to have bad reviews. 80+ 5 stars and 90+ 1 star. Seems too much of a risk for me. I usually only feel comfortable when 1 star is 10% or negative reviews.
#71 Apr 12 2013 at 9:46 PM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
Does anyone know if this new keyboard works with the PS3 or PC only?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151027118817
____________________________

Skills & Levels: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1355392
Bazaar: ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?fl&mn=Shounin&srv=17
100 local levequests completed!
100 regional levequests completed!
2000 enemies defeated!
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#72 Apr 13 2013 at 9:16 AM Rating: Excellent
gennji wrote:
Does anyone know if this new keyboard works with the PS3 or PC only?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151027118817


I need to get this keyboard. Then I can do all the cool emotes! hahaha
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#73 Apr 14 2013 at 5:21 PM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
Do you really think it does something extra for the game? Other than hold your security key...
____________________________

Skills & Levels: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1355392
Bazaar: ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?fl&mn=Shounin&srv=17
100 local levequests completed!
100 regional levequests completed!
2000 enemies defeated!
#74 Apr 14 2013 at 5:45 PM Rating: Good
No, I'm sure it's just like any other keyboard
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#75 Apr 17 2013 at 12:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
#76 Apr 17 2013 at 6:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts


I'd be curious to hear how it works, looks very uncomfortable Smiley: frown
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#77 Apr 17 2013 at 8:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Wint wrote:


I'd be curious to hear how it works, looks very uncomfortable Smiley: frown


It actually looks really good if you take under consideration for what it will be used for...a ps3.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#78 Apr 17 2013 at 8:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Wint wrote:


I'd be curious to hear how it works, looks very uncomfortable Smiley: frown


It actually looks really good if you take under consideration for what it will be used for...a ps3.


I've had controllers like this for the PS2 when I was playing FFXI on it, never really worked well for long conversations. I'm not knocking it, I'm curious to hear if he likes it or not.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#79 Apr 17 2013 at 9:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
Wint wrote:
Teravibe wrote:
Wint wrote:


I'd be curious to hear how it works, looks very uncomfortable Smiley: frown


It actually looks really good if you take under consideration for what it will be used for...a ps3.


I've had controllers like this for the PS2 when I was playing FFXI on it, never really worked well for long conversations. I'm not knocking it, I'm curious to hear if he likes it or not.


I know the x box controller had one simalar and it was placed in a better location i think because its at the top of the controller i dont see anyone being able to multi task with it
____________________________
Del Phife - Ultros server
#80 Apr 17 2013 at 9:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
It's probably very useful if you're partying with strangers and just need to be able to communicate briefly, extended conversations with friends is probably more painful Smiley: smile

Up until my launch PS3 died a few weeks ago I was pretty excited to get a copy of ARR for it, but I don't know that I will now, not sure when I will have it fixed/replaced. I'm still in mourning I think Smiley: frown
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#81 Apr 18 2013 at 8:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
Wint wrote:
It's probably very useful if you're partying with strangers and just need to be able to communicate briefly, extended conversations with friends is probably more painful Smiley: smile

Up until my launch PS3 died a few weeks ago I was pretty excited to get a copy of ARR for it, but I don't know that I will now, not sure when I will have it fixed/replaced. I'm still in mourning I think Smiley: frown


My PS3 also just died this year (overheating) , it was well vented, just a 1st gen (used & abused)

I was looking into the PS3 Keyboard, it actually looks awesome for being part of the controller.

Right now I am using Xbox 360 controller with Xpadder to map key commands, but Mouse/Keyboard always feel better for PC Games to me.

Setting up Macros correctly really help a controller to be more useful. Hitting 1-2 buttons to do a series of commands is more ideal here.
------------

Also does anyone know if the keyboard I posted above will work on the PS3? Does any USB Keyboard work? I need to get a new PS3 and I want to Beta test it there too. I see they added a free Snakebyte controller, it looks like a playstation controller.. has anyone tried it on the Ps3?

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 11:29am by gennji
____________________________

Skills & Levels: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1355392
Bazaar: ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?fl&mn=Shounin&srv=17
100 local levequests completed!
100 regional levequests completed!
2000 enemies defeated!
#82 Apr 18 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
The thing with mics is that for me at least, they take away some of the games "magic".


Translation: other people in my game take away the game's "magic". Believe me, I understand the solo experience and what it feels like to open your eyes in wonder at the story unfolding.

However, I've also been a part of competitive raiding and after weeks of trying and trying to kill a boss, you find that there is nothing quite like the chatter at 15%, obvious breath-holding at 10%, more excitement and omgomgomgwemightdoitthistimeomgomgomg at 5% and finally the rousing **** YEA cheer at 0% as everyone tosses their mice into the air and slams their mic keybinds in unison.
#83 Apr 18 2013 at 10:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Yeah I like doing stuff with the LS while Mumble is going, it's a great experience in my mind. Thing about LS chatter is it's not like a FPS lobby where you have random people thrown in together, these are people you should at least be familiar with if they're in your LS.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#84 Apr 19 2013 at 12:08 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Wint wrote:


I'd be curious to hear how it works, looks very uncomfortable Smiley: frown


It is uncomfortable. I used it once and now it's just dead on the desk.
#85 Apr 19 2013 at 4:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
I am rooting for this thing to function like butter. I'd really like to use this in ARR.
[youtube=http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/showthread.php?194606-Wii-U-GamePad-to-PC-Controller]
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 98 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (97)