Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Blog Post: Sound-track II: The Wrath of Knee-SoKAHNFollow

#1 Mar 08 2013 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/242

Quote:
Hey! Hey!

Masayoshi Soken here. Known by innocent passersby as that guy whose eyes are constantly fixed on their be-knickered calves, but known by the world as Solemn Seeker of Knee Socks, Knee-Soken! You may remember me from such roles as “FINAL FANTASY XIV Sound Director,” and “that disembodied arm in the 5th Producer Letter Live.”

Where is Fernehalwes? The last time I saw him, he was staring glassy-eyed into a text-filled monitor mumbling incoherently about a new lore forum and PC naming conventions. Which is why I was so easily able to jack the Developers’ Blog once again! Mwahahahaha!

But why jack the blog unless…I have something to leak to you all? Exactly! I’ve whipped up a mix of several tracks from Gridania and the Black Shroud to go with the last batch of music from Limsa Lominsa. Take a listen!



Now I know what you’re thinking, and before you flood my Twitter account with tweets like...

“Wait a minute! This music sounds suspiciously familiar… Yeah! These are the tracks used in the walkthrough video released more than a month ago! There’s nothing new here! I want my money back!”

...I want you to listen again closely. Tucked between some of the more familiar tracks is a version of the Gridania theme…that will only play during the evening hours!

Now take a look above your head. You see that light bulb there? It’s there because you just realized the magnitude of that statement—if there are separate variations on themes for both day and night…it could mean there are different variations based on other factors as well…for example, even the weather!

That’s GREAT, you say? Of COURSE it’s great…for YOU! But who do you think has to CREATE all those different variations? There are only so many hours in a day! Now, I suppose I could cut back on sleep by getting my assistant to nap for me…and if I got an IV, I could forego all meal plans…and then I reckon I could get a catheter to help cut back on all those pesky trips to the— GAH! What am I doing here on the Developers’ Blog!? I should be composing!

____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#2 Mar 08 2013 at 8:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
That's really cool that the music changes based upon the game environment, I can't wait to experience it myself.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Mar 08 2013 at 8:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Oh god. I can almost smell the hundreds of posts crying out that this is an outrage, because it totally
goes against FF lore, and it was not in 1.0, and because global cooldowns have to go. Because, like,
the music is totally related to NMs and the FATE system. And jumping. Don't forget jumping. Because
even BGM jumps will totally turn this game into WoW. Somehow.

After a while, that stuff really, really gets onto your nerves.

Edited, Mar 8th 2013 10:01am by Rinsui
#4 Mar 08 2013 at 9:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Oh god. I can almost smell the hundreds of posts crying out that this is an outrage, because it totally
goes against FF lore, and it was not in 1.0, and because global cooldowns have to go. Because, like,
the music is totally related to NMs and the FATE system. And jumping. Don't forget jumping. Because
even BGM jumps will totally turn this game into WoW. Somehow.

After a while, that stuff really, really gets onto your nerves.

Edited, Mar 8th 2013 10:01am by Rinsui


It's like you get me Smiley: inlove
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#5 Mar 08 2013 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Who would complain about this? You mean complaining that they're doing this feature instead of other things? I think most people somehow understand a bit better that the composer is in charge of music and therefor doesn't have better things to be doing than composing music. That said, I could argue that I'd rather have more music than ambient arrangements of existing tracks. But really, who cares.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#6 Mar 08 2013 at 9:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kachi wrote:
Who would complain about this? You mean complaining that they're doing this feature instead of other things? I think most people somehow understand a bit better that the composer is in charge of music and therefor doesn't have better things to be doing than composing music. That said, I could argue that I'd rather have more music than ambient arrangements of existing tracks. But really, who cares.


You have no idea...
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#7 Mar 08 2013 at 9:34 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,102 posts
This is really cool. This game is going to have such a draw to it, I can already tell that I am going to lose months of my life to it, if not more.

.. I am okay with this.
____________________________
------------------
#8 Mar 08 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
You have no idea...

Well, that pretty much told us Kachi is not visiting the beta forums, isn't it? Smiley: lol
#9 Mar 08 2013 at 9:52 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
He surely is not.

Point being though, most people who complain about these things don't understand or forget that there are different teams with different skills. It's not what "SE" is doing with FFXIV but what "the music team" is doing with the music. You point that out, and they usually shut up.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#10 Mar 08 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
You have no idea...

Well, that pretty much told us Kachi is not visiting the beta forums, isn't it? Smiley: lol


What beta forums? Smiley: smile
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#11 Mar 08 2013 at 10:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Point being though, most people who complain about these things don't understand or forget that there are different teams with different skills. It's not what "SE" is doing with FFXIV but what "the music team" is doing with the music. You point that out, and they usually shut up.


That's just what sensible people would do.
Beta forums are far from the natural habitat of sensible people.
I could swear someone just complained about being able to level all classes on one character. Because it totally breaks his immersion.
Call it a hunch. Or a disturbance in the force.

Edited, Mar 8th 2013 11:30am by Rinsui
#12 Mar 08 2013 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Eh, people all have their irrational likes and dislikes. I can't get past the graphics of WoW, even though millions of players seem to deal with it just fine. Disliking a design decision for personal reasons and ******** about how a game's development is being managed are altogether different things, though I'll concede that even worse are the people who ***** about something that they personally dislike as if their sole opinion were especially meaningful or important.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#13 Mar 08 2013 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Hmm, which to you prefer?

or
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#14 Mar 08 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
534 posts
****...this ****** me off.

Composers should be working on fine tuning the new targeting system. WTH SE!!!
#15 Mar 08 2013 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
30 posts
I am so glad to see this direction for the music in FFXIV ARR! Its subtle differences like this that will breath some life into the daily nuances of the game day/night cycle. The music revealed so far has seemed a perfect fit for the art style of the game. Definitely can't wait to hear these musical gems peppered throughout my journeys in ARR!
____________________________
Striving to help the world ~ One N/PC at a time.
#16 Mar 08 2013 at 11:26 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
254 posts
Wint wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
You have no idea...

Well, that pretty much told us Kachi is not visiting the beta forums, isn't it? Smiley: lol


What beta forums? Smiley: smile


Wint here, I was being facetious. No beta talk allowed, even that there are forums Smiley: smile

Edited, Mar 8th 2013 11:41am by Wint
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#17 Mar 08 2013 at 3:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
So happy that they are doing this. I am actually curious to listen for transitions now in the music. Launch can't come soon enough!
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#18 Mar 08 2013 at 3:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Nothing compliments ambiance more than changing conditions. Adding different music to different weather scenarios and day/night conditions is one way to do that. Great idea IMO.
____________________________

#19 Mar 08 2013 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'm reminded of a cult classic called Okage, one of the first RPG releases for the PS2 I think. The game had great music, and if you were in a town, the timbre of the music would change completely when you entered a building. It would have a sort of muted quality that reflected the difference between being near the source of music vs. going in another room and closing the door. It was a cool effect that I really appreciated.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#20 Mar 08 2013 at 6:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kachi wrote:
I'm reminded of a cult classic called Okage, one of the first RPG releases for the PS2 I think. The game had great music, and if you were in a town, the timbre of the music would change completely when you entered a building. It would have a sort of muted quality that reflected the difference between being near the source of music vs. going in another room and closing the door. It was a cool effect that I really appreciated.


I know that one, wasn't that the same makers as the people behind Ico?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#21 Mar 08 2013 at 7:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Same publisher I think, but I don't know. Never played Ico. Okage had a lot of charm in its world and story, particularly for those who liked Nightmare Before Christmas, but its gameplay was very lackluster.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#22 Mar 09 2013 at 12:34 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Oh god. I can almost smell the hundreds of posts crying out that this is an outrage, because it totally
goes against FF lore, and it was not in 1.0, and because global cooldowns have to go. Because, like,
the music is totally related to NMs and the FATE system. And jumping. Don't forget jumping. Because
even BGM jumps will totally turn this game into WoW. Somehow.

After a while, that stuff really, really gets onto your nerves.

Edited, Mar 8th 2013 10:01am by Rinsui


ZOMG, like REALLY? NO COWBELL? ;)

On a serious note, I think the music sounds great. Listening to it actually makes me imagine a forest type setting. I can't wait to visit all the other areas to see how well the new music scores will match the setting.
____________________________
#23 Mar 09 2013 at 3:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Yeah this is great music. It's very FFXI like, but better.

Even though I loved FFXI's music, ARR's music is a bit more arranged and seems a bit more 'solid.'

Weather music change/day/night is a small but meaningful detail and can't wait to listen to all of the tracks.
#24 Mar 09 2013 at 4:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
I like it when the music doesn't skip a beat, but mid-song, changes instrumentation to match the situation. Not enough games implement this, but there's just something about that style that makes the environment feel that much more interactive than what you experience having a static soundtrack in the background.
#25 Mar 10 2013 at 10:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
728 posts
swisa wrote:
ZOMG, like REALLY? NO COWBELL? ;)


I kno rite? The fact that the Final Fantasy soundtracks have majorly lacked any substantial cowbell has always broken my immersion. I feel like if they included more cowbell on emotional tracks they could really move this game away from being "just another WoW clone". Nothing screams "OMG THEY KILLED AERIS" like more cowbell.

Xoie wrote:
I like it when the music doesn't skip a beat, but mid-song, changes instrumentation to match the situation. Not enough games implement this, but there's just something about that style that makes the environment feel that much more interactive than what you experience having a static soundtrack in the background.


This comment immediately brought the original .hack series of games to mind. The music on the field maps would change to a more fast paced version of the ambient soundtrack when enemies were nearby. The seamless transition back and forth between the two tracks really brought the already amazing soundtrack together. Yet another reason why that series was amazing in spite of a somewhat repetitive and lackluster battle system (mostly led by the awesome and unique storyline). Sometimes I wonder why "The World" was never made into an MMO... Must be because EA didn't want to throw money at it <.<.


Some people fail to realize what music can do for the immersion of a game. There was a reason I used to leave FFXI on while I took a nap but muted WoW's music a couple weeks after I started playing and it wasn't Ventrilo. While there seems to be a large group of people that strongly dislikes Nobuo Uematsu's tracks, he is largely the reason why I got into music and eventually started playing guitar. Even if a lot of his tracks won't be in ARR, it seems like SE has put a very capable composer on the job.

Hopefully they can produce something with as much emotion and depth as the Gustaberg theme. That track has so many levels of sound that it took years for me to fully appreciate the whole thing... And it still fills my soul with adventurous longing, nearly bringing a tear to my eye.

Edited for a catastrophic misunderstanding of nested quotes.

Edited, Mar 10th 2013 12:49pm by DamienSScott

Edited, Mar 10th 2013 12:51pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#26 Mar 10 2013 at 9:28 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
It's probably also because in the anime of .hack, people got sucked into "The World" and went into a coma....
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#27 Mar 11 2013 at 8:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
While there seems to be a large group of people that strongly dislikes Nobuo Uematsu's tracks


I don't know about FFXIV specifically, but I wouldn't say that this is generally true. I think Uematsu was a bad choice for scoring an entire MMO because I think an MMO requires a greater quantity of music than one person can reasonably produce without an enormous sacrifice in quality. Had he arranged music composed by a team, I think he could unified an excellent score for the game.

But I think most of us loved Uematsu's work in general, particularly over the early years of the FF series.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#28 Mar 11 2013 at 2:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
catwho wrote:
It's probably also because in the anime of .hack, people got sucked into "The World" and went into a coma....


The same happened in the game as well... But if anything it could have worked as some kind of weird backward marketing tactic. XD

Kachi wrote:
Quote:
While there seems to be a large group of people that strongly dislikes Nobuo Uematsu's tracks


I don't know about FFXIV specifically, but I wouldn't say that this is generally true. I think Uematsu was a bad choice for scoring an entire MMO because I think an MMO requires a greater quantity of music than one person can reasonably produce without an enormous sacrifice in quality. Had he arranged music composed by a team, I think he could unified an excellent score for the game.

But I think most of us loved Uematsu's work in general, particularly over the early years of the FF series.


I suppose so when I think about it that way. I just mainly made that comment because of my first post here being about that very subject and getting a lot more negative responses than I expected. When I went back and looked at the wiki page for the FFXI OST I found out much to my dismay that most of my favorite tracks weren't even produced by Uematsu. I think he only produced 2-3 tracks other than Prelude and Ronfaure.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#29 Mar 11 2013 at 4:10 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Yeah, Uematsu is a decent video game composer, just over worked in 1.0.

I like his simple, melodic, accessible compositions. Though his heavy metal and heavy orchestral work just falls flat with me.

The newer composers like the ones on ffxi seem to meld Uemastu's style with a more trained ear.

You can hear in some of the brief tracks some homage, themes and instrumentation in ARR that is much like that in FFXI.
#30 Mar 12 2013 at 5:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
728 posts
Kierk wrote:
I like his simple, melodic, accessible compositions. Though his heavy metal and heavy orchestral work just falls flat with me.


I personally enjoyed his "metal" tracks in FFXIV, but then again I primarily listen to/play hard rock and metal. Nail of the Heavens is by far my favorite song in the OST next to Answers. The battle tracks were awesome and felt like they would get the adrenaline pumping, although they could seem out of place in areas with more classical themes. I think that this game could have a use for heavier, guitar-centric tunes in certain situations. Specifically areas involving the Garlean Empire could use more modern style music to accentuate the "technologically advanced" vibe. The Neo-Classical genre of metal would be great for this. I long for the day I can fight a giant mechanical baddie to a neo-classical speed metal solo XD.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#31 Mar 12 2013 at 6:36 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
8,775 posts
Kachi wrote:
Who would complain about this? You mean complaining that they're doing this feature instead of other things? I think most people somehow understand a bit better that the composer is in charge of music and therefor doesn't have better things to be doing than composing music. That said, I could argue that I'd rather have more music than ambient arrangements of existing tracks. But really, who cares.


To second what Wint said, you literally have no idea. They complain about EVERYTHING.
____________________________
Quote:
The thing about me is that apparently it's very hard to tell when I'm drunk. So I feel like I'm walking sideways on a UFO and everyone else sees me doing the robot like a pro.
- MojoVIII
i have bathed in the blood of many. my life was spent well.
feral druids do it on all fours.
The One True Prophet of Tonkism.

http://therewillbebrawl.com/
#32 Mar 12 2013 at 8:13 AM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
Should we be creeped out this dude is so into knee socks?
#33 Mar 12 2013 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
Should we be creeped out this dude is so into knee socks?


It's Japan, so I'm just blissfully assuming it's a normal occurrence over there.

Edited, Mar 12th 2013 4:56pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#34 Mar 14 2013 at 9:47 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
/kanye on

Uematsu is good, but Hitoshi Sakimoto is the best FF music composer of all time.

OF ALL TIME! Smiley: mad

/kanye off

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 11:48pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#35 Mar 14 2013 at 9:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Oh god. I can almost smell the hundreds of posts crying out that this is an outrage, because it totally
goes against FF lore, and it was not in 1.0, and because global cooldowns have to go. Because, like,
the music is totally related to NMs and the FATE system. And jumping. Don't forget jumping. Because
even BGM jumps will totally turn this game into WoW. Somehow.

After a while, that stuff really, really gets onto your nerves.

Edited, Mar 8th 2013 10:01am by Rinsui


Smiley: lol You know don't You! Smiley: lol
____________________________
MUTED
#36 Mar 14 2013 at 9:57 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
And whoever said Uematsu is "Decent" please point me towards somebody that has an entire body of work, better than him <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#37 Mar 14 2013 at 10:00 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Ostia wrote:
And whoever said Uematsu is "Decent" please point me towards somebody that has an entire body of work, better than him <.<


In video games only, no one touches him. In composers who have scored for video games?

Phillip Glass comes to mind.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#38 Mar 14 2013 at 10:53 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Ostia wrote:
And whoever said Uematsu is "Decent" please point me towards somebody that has an entire body of work, better than him <.<


The usage of 'decent' was a bit facetious, but Uematsu was in a very unique situation; having the great opportunity to work consistently with a certain freedom that I think is rare. And he was able to create that body of work where other composers couldnt. There are equally if not more talented composers like Mitsuda and the aforementioned Sakimoto who were just working in Uematsu's shadow. And of course there's someone like Koji Kondo who IMO could be considered better because he has reached so many more people.

Don't get me wrong I love Uemastu, but in one sense he is like the Beatles; he's not too flashy and I think he excells with his simpler more melodic work. He, I think, struggles on the more orchestral things; when he tries to do things like the band Rush. That doesn't mean he's not good, it doesn't mean those pieces aren't good, I just think other composers do that style better.

#39 Mar 15 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
catwho wrote:
/kanye on

Uematsu is good, but Hitoshi Sakimoto is the best FF music composer of all time.

OF ALL TIME! Smiley: mad

/kanye off

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 11:48pm by catwho


I can't help but picture a dejected Uematsu on stage to receive an award as a drunk pink pony walks off with his mic.
#40 Mar 15 2013 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Xoie wrote:
catwho wrote:
/kanye on

Uematsu is good, but Hitoshi Sakimoto is the best FF music composer of all time.

OF ALL TIME! Smiley: mad

/kanye off

Edited, Mar 14th 2013 11:48pm by catwho


I can't help but picture a dejected Uematsu on stage to receive an award as a drunk pink pony walks off with his mic.


Twilight Sparkle is purple.

She also has wings now. My avatar isn't canon any more Smiley: frown Also, joke's on her, that turned out to be hot sauce.

Edited, Mar 15th 2013 1:54pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#41 Mar 15 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Kierk wrote:
Ostia wrote:
And whoever said Uematsu is "Decent" please point me towards somebody that has an entire body of work, better than him <.<


The usage of 'decent' was a bit facetious, but Uematsu was in a very unique situation; having the great opportunity to work consistently with a certain freedom that I think is rare. And he was able to create that body of work where other composers couldnt. There are equally if not more talented composers like Mitsuda and the aforementioned Sakimoto who were just working in Uematsu's shadow. And of course there's someone like Koji Kondo who IMO could be considered better because he has reached so many more people.

Don't get me wrong I love Uemastu, but in one sense he is like the Beatles; he's not too flashy and I think he excells with his simpler more melodic work. He, I think, struggles on the more orchestral things; when he tries to do things like the band Rush. That doesn't mean he's not good, it doesn't mean those pieces aren't good, I just think other composers do that style better.



Kierk wrote:
Ostia wrote:
And whoever said Uematsu is "Decent" please point me towards somebody that has an entire body of work, better than him <.<


The usage of 'decent' was a bit facetious, but Uematsu was in a very unique situation; having the great opportunity to work consistently with a certain freedom that I think is rare. And he was able to create that body of work where other composers couldnt. There are equally if not more talented composers like Mitsuda and the aforementioned Sakimoto who were just working in Uematsu's shadow. And of course there's someone like Koji Kondo who IMO could be considered better because he has reached so many more people.

Don't get me wrong I love Uemastu, but in one sense he is like the Beatles; he's not too flashy and I think he excells with his simpler more melodic work. He, I think, struggles on the more orchestral things; when he tries to do things like the band Rush. That doesn't mean he's not good, it doesn't mean those pieces aren't good, I just think other composers do that style better.




Sakimotos worked on FFT, ogre battle, XII etc etc, those works does not even come close to VI music masterpiece(Which i consider Uematsus best work, considering the limitations he had with the Snes, Personal opinion and all) Even mitsuda who i loved on Xenogears(Definetly he is in the conversation with Uematsu) does not has the body of work he does. Just Dancing Mad is head and shoulders above anything the other 2 did at the time.
____________________________
MUTED
#42 Mar 15 2013 at 1:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Honestly, I have to wonder sometimes if Uematsu was just ******* around when he wrote Dancing Mad. He's never done anything else like it to my knowledge, and you know what they say about monkeys and typewriters.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#43 Mar 15 2013 at 2:33 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
To me Dancing Mad is his greatest Work (Maybe i am biased because VI is my favorite FF) but considering he was on a 16-bit console, comparing Dancing Mad to anything done afterwards only one winged angel stands out..... And i dont quite care for anything VII related Smiley: lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YNfX1oU2XA

That guitar solo at the end is just Epic!
____________________________
MUTED
#44 Mar 15 2013 at 3:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Dancing Mad was my favorite as well. But if you were to compare it to his other works, you might question if he was actually the one who wrote it.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#45 Mar 15 2013 at 4:43 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Dancing Mad was written in the style of a Bach fugue. Uematsu composed it, but he stood on the shoulders of giants to do it. The counterpoint work in it is fantastic, though, and a credit to him that he made it sound so convincingly Bach-ish.

Same way he was heavily inspired by Orff's Carmina Burana for a lot of the VII opera stuff. One thing he is a genius at doing is studying another composer's musical style and evoking the same mood and emotions without outright copying it.

Edited, Mar 15th 2013 6:49pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#46 Mar 15 2013 at 4:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Personally I'd be happy with some more baroque injected into my FF (and life in general). The closest I can find in contemporary music is metal.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#47 Mar 15 2013 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
There's a lot of counterpoint in minimalism, but it gets kind of boring after a while. A lot of really great trance tunes draw on the same ideas, but if you don't like the dance beat then it's probably not for you.

Edited, Mar 15th 2013 7:31pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#48 Mar 15 2013 at 5:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I used to be pretty good at composing counterpoint, actually. Somehow the rules of it always made more sense to me than chord-based polyphony. That was another life, though.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#49 Mar 15 2013 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'm terrible at composing XD I'm just a vocalist with a strong grasp of music theory. So that's one up on me.

Edited, Mar 15th 2013 7:34pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#50 Mar 15 2013 at 5:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Unfortunately all I remember is the conceptual stuff. These days I can barely even read music, let alone write it. I guess it's not quite like riding a bike.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#51 Mar 16 2013 at 12:05 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
I remember learning about the circle of fifths when I started playing guitar. But that's all I remember about it any more. I never really learned to read music. If I can't figure it out by ear any more I just cheat and use tablature lol. I like writing music but I never really cared for 'learning' about it. It was all way over my head.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 92 All times are in CDT
Adzieboy, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (90)