Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Blog Post: Sound-track II: The Wrath of Knee-SoKAHNFollow

#52 Mar 16 2013 at 11:36 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
A lot of it I learned by osmosis, I think. I was terrible and piano and violin, but I can sing fairly well and I played trumpet for eight years before I was rejected for the school of music in college by the late Fred Mills himself. (I think of that episode as one of the last instances of misogyny in the brass world. My instructor when I was a teenager was certain I was going to be the next Wynton Marsalis, but girls still didn't "play trumpet" just fifteen years ago. Things changed for the better once the millennium ticked over and the brass departments at most music schools have loosened up a lot.)

Back on topic, composing for video games has gotten much easier over the years. Sakimoto had to program his own **** orchestral engine to get FF Tactics to sound the way he and Masaharu Iwata wanted it to sound. Now a composer has the luxury of using MP3s of live bands and orchestras for tracks, or at least using engines that can approximate orchestras with great accuracy, instead of being stuck with engines that can only do chip tunes.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#53 Mar 16 2013 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
I'm liking the music, and it's kinda cool how the music can change, based on the weather and time of day. Now if only they teased us with a Chocobo theme...>.>
#54 Mar 17 2013 at 2:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
catwho wrote:
/kanye on

Uematsu is good, but Hitoshi Sakimoto is the best FF music composer of all time.

OF ALL TIME! Smiley: mad


I might have to almost agree there.. the FFT:OST is the only one I have physically purchased.. gotta love getting an earful of Bloody Excrement :o



Edited, Mar 17th 2013 4:25pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#55 Mar 17 2013 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
catwho wrote:
/kanye on

Uematsu is good, but Hitoshi Sakimoto is the best FF music composer of all time.

OF ALL TIME! Smiley: mad


I might have to almost agree there.. the FFT:OST is the only one I have physically purchased.. gotta love getting an earful of Bloody Excrement :o


We once left Apoplexy playing on loop in the in game jukebox engine for a few hours, just as ambient background music to our daily lives...
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#56 Mar 17 2013 at 2:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
Kachi wrote:
Personally I'd be happy with some more baroque injected into my FF (and life in general). The closest I can find in contemporary music is metal.


I think this is why I'm so drawn to some metal genres. It's usually never for they lyrics but for the complex guitar arrangements that pay homage to the very dead-in-mainstream classical genre. Stratovarius is a band I started getting into a little while back that lends much of its speed metal to classical roots (along with a strong 80's metal feel). Specifically the instrumentals Stratosphere and Holy Light, along with the "love" song Black Diamond come to mind with strong neo-classical riffs/solos. If you like epic songs you can also check out the 10 minute Visions - (Southern Cross) it sort of parallels the end of FFXIV 1.0 in a way. The band is Finnish so keep that in mind, but I sort of enjoy the singer/writer's off way of stringing lines together. It certainly doesn't sound like anything you'd hear today.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#57 Mar 17 2013 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
catwho wrote:
We once left Apoplexy playing on loop in the in game jukebox engine for a few hours, just as ambient background music to our daily lives...


Heehee, that is a good one, however I tend to associate it with the horrible experience of getting destroyed by those Jarvis birds after not saving for a long time XD.

When I think about it though, this OST really is of a much higher quality than anything else on the PS1 and it wasn't even a main series FF. I wish SE would go back to that Squaresoft mindset of taking big risks and dumping huge resources into things such as new sound engine development to bring that unparallelled quality back to the RPG world. I guess JonTron said it right in his FF:Hallway reviews, "SE is a 90's company with 90's money that it doesn't know what to do with". ; ;
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#58 Mar 17 2013 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
catwho wrote:
We once left Apoplexy playing on loop in the in game jukebox engine for a few hours, just as ambient background music to our daily lives...


Heehee, that is a good one, however I tend to associate it with the horrible experience of getting destroyed by those Jarvis birds after not saving for a long time XD.

When I think about it though, this OST really is of a much higher quality than anything else on the PS1 and it wasn't even a main series FF. I wish SE would go back to that Squaresoft mindset of taking big risks and dumping huge resources into things such as new sound engine development to bring that unparallelled quality back to the RPG world. I guess JonTron said it right in his FF:Hallway reviews, "SE is a 90's company with 90's money that it doesn't know what to do with". ; ;


I've always thought the Tactics OST could be released as a stand alone orchestral suite and it would do **** well. Boston Pops and London Symphony would be all over it. And yet, Tactics has been ignored in the Distant Worlds and Dear Friends concerts, since Uematsu wasn't involved with the music for it. A pity.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#59 Mar 18 2013 at 11:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
catwho wrote:
I've always thought the Tactics OST could be released as a stand alone orchestral suite and it would do **** well. Boston Pops and London Symphony would be all over it. And yet, Tactics has been ignored in the Distant Worlds and Dear Friends concerts, since Uematsu wasn't involved with the music for it. A pity.


That is indeed a pity. I'm sure you and most other Tactics players agree when I say I put many, many more hours into that game than any other FF (save FFXI lol). It's good to know that if I ever have children that I have a great pool of quality music to play for them that doesn't seem like it would make them dumber (pretty much everything produced today >.>). It's a pity that many great video game soundtracks will fall out of knowledge simply because of the medium used.

Alundra is another amazing PS1 Action/RPG/Platformer with a top-notch soundtrack that I strongly suggest people get their hands on. The track Kline's Dream still moves me to this day. The Shrine in the Lake and The Child's Dream are also two of my favorites from that game. Definitely worth a listen to if you have 10 spare minutes.

Just found this on youtube. It's the full soundtrack, minus the awesome intro movie song.

Edited, Mar 18th 2013 2:11pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, Anonymous Guests (72)