Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

Letter from the Producer, XLIV (03/19/2013) Follow

#1 Mar 19 2013 at 6:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*
63 posts
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61306

An update on beta progress, the start of beta 2 and a few pics too!

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 7:22am by Wint
____________________________
Tykata of Fairy/Sylph Retired
Awaiting FFXIV impatiently
#2 Mar 19 2013 at 6:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Well I tried to edit it for images and the entire post, but alas, not premium. That's a bummer. Here are the pics anyway:

Screenshot


Screenshot


Screenshot
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Mar 19 2013 at 6:24 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
63 posts
I should have left it to the wonderful wizard of Wint :)
____________________________
Tykata of Fairy/Sylph Retired
Awaiting FFXIV impatiently
#4 Mar 19 2013 at 6:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
No problem, you guys please feel free to post the stories if nobody has yet, I'm only one guy and sometimes I'm a little late to posting things. Thanks for doing it! Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#5 Mar 19 2013 at 7:38 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Wait, did Wint show a sign of weakness by saying "I'm only one guy and sometimes I'm a little late to posting things." I think this means we all have free rain to break the NDA for the Beta. Ill go fist.



Phase 1 is currently ongoing. Phase 2 will start soon. Phase 3 will start later. Then its Phase 4.

Then we can get a Retail copy of the game.

Does it count if I'm not really in the Beta?





Somewhere in here there is a secret.


Nope, just kidding. Keep up the awesome work, Wint. For one man, you handle us crazies verywell.





#6 Mar 19 2013 at 8:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
You're gonna get muted mister! Smiley: mad
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#7 Mar 19 2013 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
****
5,050 posts
I dont care what anyone says but I prefer the macros and menu look of FFXIs GUI than FFXIV use of WoW like (and just about every other MMO like) hotkeys and "click on this picture icon a million times to spam this ability" look of the GUI

though the graphics (like any other SE game) look great.. Im gonna spend the first 24 hours of the game just walking around exploring lol.

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 9:50am by DuoMaxwellxx
#8 Mar 19 2013 at 8:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
I dont care what anyone says but I prefer the macros and menu look of FFXIs GUI than FFXIV use of WoW like (and just about every other MMO like) hotkeys and "click on this picture icon a million times to spam this ability" look of the GUI

though the graphics (like any other SE game) look great.. Im gonna spend the first 24 hours of the game just walking around exploring lol.

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 9:50am by DuoMaxwellxx


XIV has macros...you can assign them to CTRL or ALT + Number combinations, exactly like XI...
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#9 Mar 19 2013 at 9:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
You can also assign them to the task bar and fire them using the numbers at the top of the keyboard, or reassign them to any key you want.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#10 Mar 19 2013 at 9:01 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
63 posts
Looks like Square Enix (the character Smiley: lol) is about to die at the hands of a horde of goblins. Reminds me of a bad dyna-jeuno pull.
____________________________
Tykata of Fairy/Sylph Retired
Awaiting FFXIV impatiently
#11 Mar 19 2013 at 9:02 AM Rating: Default
****
5,050 posts
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
I dont care what anyone says but I prefer the macros and menu look of FFXIs GUI than FFXIV use of WoW like (and just about every other MMO like) hotkeys and "click on this picture icon a million times to spam this ability" look of the GUI

though the graphics (like any other SE game) look great.. Im gonna spend the first 24 hours of the game just walking around exploring lol.

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 9:50am by DuoMaxwellxx


XIV has macros...you can assign them to CTRL or ALT + Number combinations, exactly like XI...



yeah Im sure XIV has macros too I was mainly referring to the hotkey icon boxes look of the GUI as opposed to the attack/magic/item etc etc more traditional RPG menu look of FFXIs GUI
#12 Mar 19 2013 at 9:02 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
That looks freaking awesome - Oldton Movapolos in HD!

#13 Mar 19 2013 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
131 posts
Uhhh looking good! :D Really love what they did to the UI :D
#14 Mar 19 2013 at 9:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
I dont care what anyone says but I prefer the macros and menu look of FFXIs GUI than FFXIV use of WoW like (and just about every other MMO like) hotkeys and "click on this picture icon a million times to spam this ability" look of the GUI

though the graphics (like any other SE game) look great.. Im gonna spend the first 24 hours of the game just walking around exploring lol.

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 9:50am by DuoMaxwellxx


XIV has macros...you can assign them to CTRL or ALT + Number combinations, exactly like XI...



yeah Im sure XIV has macros too I was mainly referring to the hotkey icon boxes look of the GUI as opposed to the attack/magic/item etc etc more traditional RPG menu look of FFXIs GUI


From my hands on I can tell you that those things can be turned off, you can literally make the UI look like anything you want. Even more so once they launch addons I bet, so you could certainly go for a more minimalist feel if that's what trips your trigger Smiley: thumbsup

Personally I never click on those, but I usually rely on them to remind me which ability is tied to which hotkey. Might be interesting to hide it and see if I can remember which is which.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#15 Mar 19 2013 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,050 posts
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
I dont care what anyone says but I prefer the macros and menu look of FFXIs GUI than FFXIV use of WoW like (and just about every other MMO like) hotkeys and "click on this picture icon a million times to spam this ability" look of the GUI

though the graphics (like any other SE game) look great.. Im gonna spend the first 24 hours of the game just walking around exploring lol.

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 9:50am by DuoMaxwellxx


XIV has macros...you can assign them to CTRL or ALT + Number combinations, exactly like XI...



yeah Im sure XIV has macros too I was mainly referring to the hotkey icon boxes look of the GUI as opposed to the attack/magic/item etc etc more traditional RPG menu look of FFXIs GUI


From my hands on I can tell you that those things can be turned off, you can literally make the UI look like anything you want. Even more so once they launch addons I bet, so you could certainly go for a more minimalist feel if that's what trips your trigger Smiley: thumbsup

Personally I never click on those, but I usually rely on them to remind me which ability is tied to which hotkey. Might be interesting to hide it and see if I can remember which is which.



yeah i never manually used the FFXI gui menus either all my gameplay was done with macros but I still liked its look lol. As fo making the GUI look however you want.. probably on PC.. I doubt the console version will offer much in the way of customizability
#16 Mar 19 2013 at 9:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
As fo making the GUI look however you want.. probably on PC.. I doubt the console version will offer much in the way of customizability


Well yeah...you can't click on things for the PS3. There is an entire video out there dedicated to the console UI...
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#17 Mar 19 2013 at 9:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
ANOTHER WEEK!? C'mon already with Phase 1, that puts it like 2 weeks behind schedule?

I hope Phase 2 is like 1 week. "Oh controllers work, ok Phase 3 let's GOOOO."
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#18 Mar 19 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
63 posts
Louiscool wrote:
ANOTHER WEEK!? C'mon already with Phase 1, that puts it like 2 weeks behind schedule?

I hope Phase 2 is like 1 week. "Oh controllers work, ok Phase 3 let's GOOOO."


Well this is encouraging I guess:

"Keep in mind that testing the gamepad is the focus of the second phase, so the available content will be mostly the same"

Its phase 1 with gamepads and just more participants for stress tests
____________________________
Tykata of Fairy/Sylph Retired
Awaiting FFXIV impatiently
#19 Mar 19 2013 at 9:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Louiscool wrote:
ANOTHER WEEK!? C'mon already with Phase 1, that puts it like 2 weeks behind schedule?

I hope Phase 2 is like 1 week. "Oh controllers work, ok Phase 3 let's GOOOO."


100,000 testers isn't anything to sniff at, I imagine the server bugs he referenced were rather challenging. Think about it, they probably increased the number of testers exponentially, that would be scary as **** to see if your protocols and backends were up to the stress or not.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#20 Mar 19 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
254 posts
So.... are Guildhests basically quests?
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#21 Mar 19 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I think they're quests that require a group, as opposed to leves which are better done solo.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#22 Mar 19 2013 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Skaditoo wrote:
So.... are Guildhests basically quests?


If they're at all like Behest it was basically a group based event that you could party up for or fly solo and you would head out from a camp en-mass to go fight some invading group. It was fun, the few times I tried it in 1.0.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#23 Mar 19 2013 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Tyka wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
ANOTHER WEEK!? C'mon already with Phase 1, that puts it like 2 weeks behind schedule?

I hope Phase 2 is like 1 week. "Oh controllers work, ok Phase 3 let's GOOOO."


Well this is encouraging I guess:

"Keep in mind that testing the gamepad is the focus of the second phase, so the available content will be mostly the same"

Its phase 1 with gamepads and just more participants for stress tests


Yeah, it should be short and I imagine they are holding back until phase 1 is perfect, so barring any complications it should go quick.

Wint wrote:
100,000 testers isn't anything to sniff at, I imagine the server bugs he referenced were rather challenging. Think about it, they probably increased the number of testers exponentially, that would be scary as **** to see if your protocols and backends were up to the stress or not.


This is also true. Y-P did mention he's trying to push the servers to the limits with the first phase, and trying to get as many new testers in as possible, which is also encouraging for those of us who haven't received a golden ticket.

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 12:02pm by Louiscool
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#24 Mar 19 2013 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
254 posts
I am thinking the reason I didn't get an invite is I said my method of play was gamepad, here's hoping for phase 2 :)
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#25 Mar 19 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
It's good to know there will be more people brought in for phase 2, I know that was an open question in some people's minds.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#26 Mar 19 2013 at 10:18 AM Rating: Default
****
5,050 posts
I dont see phase 2 going any faster than phase 1 if one of the issues with phase one was fixing the servers because of the huge amount of ppl on it.. and phase 2 will have MORE people which means more server fixing for all the MORE people phase w will have than 1 which means another long phase
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)