Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
Reply To Thread

Letter from the Producer, XLIV (03/19/2013) Follow

#102 Mar 22 2013 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I tried contacts, the thicker one for the astigmatism was too thick though, I couldn't deal with it Smiley: frown
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#103 Mar 22 2013 at 3:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Was using contacts quite annoying but useful to be honest. Then i got my laser eye surgery, the best thing i've ever done. I will never regret spending the money for it.

Edited, Mar 22nd 2013 5:32pm by Teravibe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#104 Mar 22 2013 at 3:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.
#105 Mar 22 2013 at 3:48 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
I'm tempted to get some of those Gunnar Optics in my prescription, but I'm a bit leery of commiting to tinted frames like that. I sit in front of computers for nearly 15 hours a day if not longer, and at least 9 of that is in fluorescent lighting, so my eyes do get worn out usually on a daily basis. I just don't know if those Gunnar glasses are snakeoil or not.


I wear contacts, so I was able to get the standard off the shelf Gunnar's. I <3 em to death, I really notice a difference on a "gaming marathon" on the weekends, even wearing em a few hours at night makes my eye's not tired or dried out. My wife tried em one day while I was at work and went out and got a pair for herself that night. I stand behind em but to each their own, I don't have a pair of the prescription pair so using em without my contacts in is a no go.


Edited, Mar 22nd 2013 4:48pm by Drulian
____________________________
Drulian Griggory - Meneldor. Member of There Is No Fifth Star


#106 Mar 22 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Geffe wrote:
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.


I don't know what he told you about it but the whole thing lasts 10 minutes and its painless. As for the later part i ve done the surgery 7 years ago and have no problem. There are certain factors that you need to fulfill in order to have a successful surgery. But if you do it right you wont have a problem. Says me, my mother that i took her to do it and a couple of friends that have done it ( one of them hit the 10 years mark you said last year i think).


____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#107 Mar 22 2013 at 3:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Geffe wrote:
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.


Both eyes or just one?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#108 Mar 22 2013 at 4:52 PM Rating: Good
*
149 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Geffe wrote:
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.


I don't know what he told you about it but the whole thing lasts 10 minutes and its painless. As for the later part i ve done the surgery 7 years ago and have no problem. There are certain factors that you need to fulfill in order to have a successful surgery. But if you do it right you wont have a problem. Says me, my mother that i took her to do it and a couple of friends that have done it ( one of them hit the 10 years mark you said last year i think).




Seconded. I got mine done through the Army, with Army doctors, and seven years later I see better than I did right after I got the surgery. Although, for a solid month I was looking for my glasses when I woke up for a couple minutes before I realized I didn't need them anymore.
#109 Mar 22 2013 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
I tried contacts, the thicker one for the astigmatism was too thick though, I couldn't deal with it Smiley: frown


The older lenses (Bausch and Lamb Soflens 66 Toric, for example) were pretty bad. I wore those as a kid and actually got corneal neovascularization, a fancy way of saying I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my eyes so the veins grew out similar to tree roots. The new ones by Acuvue Oasys and Biofinity are really good though.

Geffe wrote:
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.


There are times that PRK (Photorefractive keratectomy) is a better option. LASIK uses a laser to cut a corneal flap that they peel back. Then they use another laser to reshape the inside of your cornea, then lay the flap back down. If your cornea is too thin, like mine, they might not do it. If you have little craters throughout your cornea, it can be hard to fix. When doing PRK they put a solution on your cornea that dissolves it (which gets them to the layer they need and also buffs out any imperfections) and then laser the same spot as LASIK. Recovery time is about a week longer.

I'm guessing your boss is at least 40 years old, which means Presbyopia is setting in and causing his near/computer vision to deteriorate. That will happen to all of us around 40-45 yrs old, there is no getting away from it. LASIK isn't meant to correct near vision, it's mainly meant for correcting distance vision. If you're in your 20's or 30's and have the funds for it, you should really consider it.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#110 Mar 22 2013 at 5:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
Wint wrote:
Geffe wrote:
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.


Both eyes or just one?


Box for both says for astigmatism. Here is my rx. R: Power= -4.00, CYL= -1.25, AXIS= 180, and L: Power= -3.00, CYL= -1.75, AXIS= 180

They are Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear Plus.

The part where my boss explained how he had to sit still in the chair while he watched a blade come down and cut his eye is the part I am completely against. I really have no problems with my contacts.
#111 Mar 22 2013 at 5:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
Yeah, that was the part I winced at the most, but they give you something to relax you beforehand, numb you up, and quite honestly, you don't see a thing. It's too close to really see anything, and you don't feel anything, so once it started, I got impatient to just leave and see without glasses or contacts for a change.
#112 Mar 22 2013 at 5:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Yea to be honest, they put so much fluids in your eye that you can't see a thing. I wouldn't realize that they did anything if i didn't smell something being burned. ^^ Yes that was my eye haha. In all honesty here though, i said it takes 10 minutes its like 5 minutes preparation for the 1 eye and 5 minutes for the other. The surgery takes 2 seconds for each eye, give or take a second. I was scared like **** before the operation cause i read some stuff but when it was done i was like "**** lets do it again" ( not really :P ).

The fun part is that after that i was walking for a month around with eyes filled with blood, i was like freekin dracula.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#113 Mar 22 2013 at 5:47 PM Rating: Good
Teravibe wrote:
Yea to be honest, they put so much fluids in your eye that you can't see a thing. I wouldn't realize that they did anything if i didn't smell something being burned. ^^ Yes that was my eye haha. In all honesty here though, i said it takes 10 minutes its like 5 minutes preparation for the 1 eye and 5 minutes for the other. The surgery takes 2 seconds for each eye, give or take a second. I was scared like **** before the operation cause i read some stuff but when it was done i was like "**** lets do it again" ( not really :P ).

The fun part is that after that i was walking for a month around with eyes filled with blood, i was like freekin dracula.


Haha ya, I have people come to my clinic all the time freaking out, thinking they're going to lose their eye because of a little blood that they were told about beforehand.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#114 Mar 22 2013 at 6:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Geffe wrote:
Wint wrote:
Geffe wrote:
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.


Both eyes or just one?


Box for both says for astigmatism. Here is my rx. R: Power= -4.00, CYL= -1.25, AXIS= 180, and L: Power= -3.00, CYL= -1.75, AXIS= 180

They are Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear Plus.

The part where my boss explained how he had to sit still in the chair while he watched a blade come down and cut his eye is the part I am completely against. I really have no problems with my contacts.


So you have it in both eyes, makes sense, you don't know what a regular contact feels like. Mine is only in my right eye, my left eye does not have astigmatism, so it uses a regular contact, which feels like it's half as thick. These were accuvue oasis as well, I couldn't stand the thicker one.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#115 Mar 22 2013 at 6:18 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
Geffe wrote:
Wint wrote:
Geffe wrote:
I wear contacts and have astigmatism. Mine are soft and not thick at all.

My boss went into great detail about his lasik surgery. I'm never having that done. 10 years later and he has to wear glasses again.


Both eyes or just one?


Box for both says for astigmatism. Here is my rx. R: Power= -4.00, CYL= -1.25, AXIS= 180, and L: Power= -3.00, CYL= -1.75, AXIS= 180

They are Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear Plus.

The part where my boss explained how he had to sit still in the chair while he watched a blade come down and cut his eye is the part I am completely against. I really have no problems with my contacts.


So you have it in both eyes, makes sense, you don't know what a regular contact feels like. Mine is only in my right eye, my left eye does not have astigmatism, so it uses a regular contact, which feels like it's half as thick. These were accuvue oasis as well, I couldn't stand the thicker one.


It's not really thicker, it's just a different shape. Your left eye is perfectly round. I could spin that contact lens while it was sitting on your eye and your vision would never change. Your right eye, on the other hand, is shaped like a football. The lens has to sit on your eye in one specific position for you to be able to see. To achieve that, the lens is weighted on the sides. Most companies put the weight on the bottom, Acuvue is different in this regard. You're basically feeling where the lens kind of grips your eye, but the Acuvue astigmatism lens is the thinnest toric lens out there, except for daily disposable versions.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#116 Mar 22 2013 at 6:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Regardless, I can't stand having it on my eyeball Smiley: tongue

The non-toric I couldn't even feel, so whatever the difference is, there is one, and I notice it.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#117 Mar 22 2013 at 6:29 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
Regardless, I can't stand having it on my eyeball Smiley: tongue

The non-toric I couldn't even feel, so whatever the difference is, there is one, and I notice it.


Oh ya I'm not disagreeing with you there. Just clarifying specifics Smiley: smile
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#118 Mar 22 2013 at 6:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
There is a guy who is constantly in the restroom jacking with his contacts. He has some kind of hybrid. Hard in the middle but soft around the outside. Never seen that before.


And yes, that sounds a little dirty.
#119 Mar 22 2013 at 6:46 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,480 posts
Geffe wrote:
There is a guy who is constantly in the restroom jacking
Screenshot
Geffe wrote:
with his contacts.
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#120 Mar 22 2013 at 6:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Geffe wrote:
There is a guy who is constantly in the restroom jacking
Screenshot
Geffe wrote:
with his contacts.
Screenshot


Well played.
#121 Mar 22 2013 at 6:59 PM Rating: Good
All you wussies that can't wear gas permeable lenses Smiley: oyvey

All I've worn for 25 years now, wear a set 2 years on average then replace. Only ever lost 1 (knocks on wood) Soft contacts are for kids Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Drulian Griggory - Meneldor. Member of There Is No Fifth Star


#122 Mar 22 2013 at 11:01 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
My eyes are normal round shape, but my nearsightedness is nasty. -6.5 left eye, -6.0 right eye. Both eyes would actually do better at 6.25 but I can't get those in the 2 week disposables from my optometrist, so the current mismatched set is what I have.

Come to think of it, the next time I run out of lenses I have to get an exam. Bah.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#123 Mar 22 2013 at 11:34 PM Rating: Good
Geffe wrote:
There is a guy who is constantly in the restroom jacking with his contacts. He has some kind of hybrid. Hard in the middle but soft around the outside. Never seen that before.


Probably the Duette lens. That thing is a ***** to fit on a person. Problem is, a lot of offices sign contracts with Synergeyes (the company that makes it) that gives them a fit set for free, but they have to fit so many lenses per year to not have to pay for it. Leads to some doctors forcing it.

catwho wrote:
My eyes are normal round shape, but my nearsightedness is nasty. -6.5 left eye, -6.0 right eye. Both eyes would actually do better at 6.25 but I can't get those in the 2 week disposables from my optometrist, so the current mismatched set is what I have.

Come to think of it, the next time I run out of lenses I have to get an exam. Bah.


What brand do you wear? Some brands only go up in 0.50 steps after 6.00, but I would think your Dr would just fit you in another lens with the proper parameter. Unless your eyes are perfectly round, but too flat / steep.

Since we're sharing, my Rx is

Right eye - SPH: -6.00 CYL: -3.50 Axis: 80
Left eye - SPH: -6.50 CYL: -1.25 Axis: 80
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#124 Mar 23 2013 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Uhhhh let me get the box....

Huh. Cooper Vision aspheric diagnostic lenses. Smiley: lol Looks to be a generic version of their Biofinity line.

I'm supposed to take them out once a week, but I usually wear them until I get irritated, then take em out and let em soak for 24 hours while I wear my hipster glasses instead. (That's roughly once every two or three weeks.) I usually stretch a pair out the full month, sometimes more.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#125 Mar 23 2013 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
catwho wrote:
Uhhhh let me get the box....

Huh. Cooper Vision aspheric diagnostic lenses. Smiley: lol Looks to be a generic version of their Biofinity line.

I'm supposed to take them out once a week, but I usually wear them until I get irritated, then take em out and let em soak for 24 hours while I wear my hipster glasses instead. (That's roughly once every two or three weeks.) I usually stretch a pair out the full month, sometimes more.



Ya, you're kinda boned. They all pretty much make that 6.00 to 6.50 jump.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
1 2 3 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 100 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (98)