Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

1.0 questionFollow

#1 Mar 25 2013 at 9:21 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
Why was the AGI stat remove din 1.0 and do you think it will make a return in 2.0? I think thats an odd stat to get rid of in an RPG.. I love making extremely fast/highly evasive characters (which is why i loved thief so much... damage output wasnt very high but attack speed plus ability to hardly ever get hit made it worth it)
#2 Mar 25 2013 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
≪Parameters and Their Effects≫

Strength

Attack Power
Damage dealt by puglist, gladiator, marauder, and lancer arms

Vitality

Damage taken
Enhancement Magic Potency
Maximum HP
Damage dealt by marauder arms

Dexterity

Accuracy
Block Rate
Parry
Damage dealt by archer arms

Intelligence

Attack Magic Potency
Damage dealt by pugilist arms

Mind

Healing Magic Potency
Magic Accuracy
Damage dealt by gladiator, thaumaturge, and conjurer arms

Piety

Magic Evasion
Enfeebling Magic Potency
Maximum MP
Damage dealt by archer, lancer, thaumaturge, and conjurer arms

≪Auto-attack Damage Bonus≫

Class Bonus 1 Bonus 2
Pugilist Intelligence Strength
Gladiator Mind Strength
Marauder Vitality Strength
Archer Dexterity Piety
Lancer Piety Strength
Conjurer Mind Piety
Thaumaturge Mind Piety

AGI probably wasn't in there because it wasn't needed. Extremely fast/evasive jobs weren't needed in the paradigm of current jobs. Future jobs it could be added, who knows?
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#3 Mar 25 2013 at 9:51 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
care to explain how "extremely fat/evasive jobs" can be "not needed" thats like saying only one type oif DD is needed (lets say pugilist) teh rest are technically unnecessary too (dragoon and whatever other DDs there are) yet they all exist right?

I mean whats the logic behind how a high attach speed and high evasion job can not be needed?
#4 Mar 25 2013 at 10:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
care to explain how "extremely fat/evasive jobs" can be "not needed" thats like saying only one type oif DD is needed (lets say pugilist) teh rest are technically unnecessary too (dragoon and whatever other DDs there are) yet they all exist right?

I mean whats the logic behind how a high attach speed and high evasion job can not be needed?


I don't see an EVA based job there. Now if they brought THF in I could see the necessity, perhaps that will be in the works.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#5 Mar 25 2013 at 11:57 AM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
care to explain how "extremely fat/evasive jobs" can be "not needed" thats like saying only one type oif DD is needed (lets say pugilist) teh rest are technically unnecessary too (dragoon and whatever other DDs there are) yet they all exist right?

I mean whats the logic behind how a high attach speed and high evasion job can not be needed?


I don't see an EVA based job there. Now if they brought THF in I could see the necessity, perhaps that will be in the works.



ok so an evasion job isnt a necessity yet if they brought thf in THEN it would be a necessity? no if an evasion job isnt an necessity then that would mean making a thief class would also be unnecessary thus no reason to ever nmake one unless something changed gameplay wise that would make an evasion job a necessity
#6 Mar 25 2013 at 12:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
care to explain how "extremely fat/evasive jobs" can be "not needed" thats like saying only one type oif DD is needed (lets say pugilist) teh rest are technically unnecessary too (dragoon and whatever other DDs there are) yet they all exist right?

I mean whats the logic behind how a high attach speed and high evasion job can not be needed?


I don't see an EVA based job there. Now if they brought THF in I could see the necessity, perhaps that will be in the works.



ok so an evasion job isnt a necessity yet if they brought thf in THEN it would be a necessity? no if an evasion job isnt an necessity then that would mean making a thief class would also be unnecessary thus no reason to ever nmake one unless something changed gameplay wise that would make an evasion job a necessity


I don't even want to read your posts at this point, it's like a run-on sentence with no end in sight. I'm not even sure what you're saying here.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#7 Mar 25 2013 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
1. According to 2nd poster Evasion job doesnt exist because one isnt necessary.

2. According to you (wint) adding Thief would make evasion necessary.

However to me simply adding thief when evasion job isnt necessary, would be pointless and thus there would be no reason to add thief until such a job was NECESSARY


in order for "necessary" to occur then something gameplaywise would have to change.

so until that gameplay change occured an evasion job would never be necessary and thus Thief would never be made as it would be unnecessary


tl:dr adding thf would magically make evasion necessary as you said Wint... something gameplay wise would have to change and thus give reason for adding a job like thief to be needed.


Was that easier?
#8 Mar 25 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I understand what Duo is getting at and I sort of see the point. The lack of a stat that directly effects evasion seems to go against some older MMOs, specifically FFXI. In WoW they don't have Dexterity but Agility covers pretty much both stats. But in FFXIV they have pretty much everything covered in Dexterity other than Evasion rate. Now I have no idea how evasion worked in 1.0, but I'm assuming it was built directly into Pugilist's kit. I'm guessing that items did/will have +evasion on them, so itemization will still be there for those that want it. Still, your character not growing more evasive as it gains levels seems kind of silly if they choose to add some of the more evasive jobs. Parry could easily offset this though, as most evasive jobs tend to dual wield anyway (But who knows if they even have the proper mechanics in place to allow dual wielding. Guess it's something we won't have to worry about for a long time anyway.)

I can see why they removed Agility from the stat list. Even in FFXI the only jobs that utilized this stat were RNG and NIN. A THF would rarely choose to take AGI over DEX and since they lumped Ranged damage in with DEX that would just leave AGI as a light tanking stat. And currently no job uses this stat in that way or as a primary damage stat. However I still don't understand why Pugilist/Monk use INT over PIE, but I guess everyone can't use PIE XD.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#9 Mar 25 2013 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
1. According to 2nd poster Evasion job doesnt exist because one isnt necessary.

2. According to you (wint) adding Thief would make evasion necessary.

However to me simply adding thief when evasion job isnt necessary, would be pointless and thus there would be no reason to add thief until such a job was NECESSARY


in order for "necessary" to occur then something gameplaywise would have to change.

so until that gameplay change occured an evasion job would never be necessary and thus Thief would never be made as it would be unnecessary


tl:dr adding thf would magically make evasion necessary as you said Wint... something gameplay wise would have to change and thus give reason for adding a job like thief to be needed.


Was that easier?


Somewhat, the punctuation, line breaks, and formatting help. I still don't see what your point is though. Right now there are no jobs that rely on Evasion in the game. This we know. If they added a job that did rely on evasion, then AGI would then become a necessary stat. Their party dynamic seems to revolve around a tank maintaining hate and everyone else performing their various functions in such a way as to not draw hate and get hit. The battle system is still being revamped as part of the beta so I'm guessing there will be more to come on this.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#10 Mar 25 2013 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
63 posts
Of course the problem with evasion has always been (at least from my perspective of mainly ffxi and other mmo's) that anything worth fighting generally has capped/near capped acc against the char thus rendering Eva useless. I'd love to see it intelligently designed in some way to avoid this, but complete damage mitigation through dodged attacks could be a balance issue. When it suits them we know how SE loves balance. (Unless you're a samurai)
____________________________
Tykata of Fairy/Sylph Retired
Awaiting FFXIV impatiently
#11 Mar 25 2013 at 1:44 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
Tyka wrote:
Of course the problem with evasion has always been (at least from my perspective of mainly ffxi and other mmo's) that anything worth fighting generally has capped/near capped acc against the char thus rendering Eva useless. I'd love to see it intelligently designed in some way to avoid this, but complete damage mitigation through dodged attacks could be a balance issue. When it suits them we know how SE loves balance. (Unless you're a samurai)



tell tha tto thfs on ffxi lol
#12 Mar 25 2013 at 7:27 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
The way Pugilist used evading abilities is that it has an 90-100% chance of evading the next major attack. There was no real stat influence.

Edited, Mar 25th 2013 6:28pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#13 Mar 25 2013 at 7:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
340 posts
Agility can, and should, be wrapped into the dexterity stat. Being agile and dextrous kind of run hand-in-hand. Here's the the thing, taking evasion out via stats and leaving it as an independent stat found exclusively on tank gear means you can leave it as it is stat-wise. Otherwise you run into the scaling "rating problem" that a lot of MMOs have found. As you level, the value of the rating decreases. If you're stacking agility to become evasive, you end up becoming weaker down the road. Also if, a certain race has the highest natural agility, it will default to the most evasive tank. As damage reduction / health can only reduce so much, but evading an attack causes 100% damage reduction of said attack.

One argument could say you're making all the classes the same... And in a way you are, but also you're helping to avoid item design issues. If you have 10 core stats that are important, you end up having to design 10 well-designed pieces of armor for every slot, or you design 4-6 pieces per slot (PPS) and have cross stats that aren't useful on each piece of gear. So instead of designing a dex set and an agi set, you design a dex or agi set, and you cut out the number of sets in the game which simplifies loot tables and reduces the chance of piece of gear dropping that no one can use.
____________________________
WoW Blackhand-US-Date of Retirement: 9/21/2010... /Sigh
Devari - 90 Rogue 85 DK Druid/Mage/Warrior 70+

FFXI - Shiva "Retired.... Or not? One more try, honest."
Desmar - 65 Sam 36 Mnk 18 Thf 12 War

FFXIV - Devari Garamond - Sargatanas 50 Paladin / Culinarian / Weaver / Armorer
Beta - Devaria Ariadne - Ultros - Pugilist
#14 Mar 25 2013 at 8:02 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
I agree. It's strange to remove Agility, yet keep Intelligence, Mind, and Piety, which are all very similar stats with rather similar senses.

Since so many of the effects of current stats are counter-intuitive -- Intelligence affects my ability to punch sh*t in the face? -- there was really no reason not to retain Agility, if for nothing else than to allow future classes / abilities to make use of it. A stat is only "not needed" because SE decided to arbitrarily make it that way, and it could just as easily have been useful (like for punching sh*t in the face, perhaps?).

The way it is now, I never see SE adding in an entire new base statistic to the game: it would simply be too much work, especially after the second or third overhaul to battle equations already.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#15 Mar 25 2013 at 8:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I agree KaneKitty, some of the attributes that are affected by Piety, Mind, and Intelligence are a little bizarre.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#16 Mar 25 2013 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
340 posts
A common way to deal with the issues of piety/mind/intelligence is go the route that almost all RPGs go, even early versions of D&D. You tie one stat (usually mind/wisdom) to healing (conjury), and you tie one (usually intelligence) to damage (thaumaturge). In the event of the Arcanist/Summoner, you would give them 50% of both stats, as this would allow them to benefit from gear from both classes, and weapons will naturally have appropriate stat distribution for the level. Piety could be removed, or converted to a critical hit / MP regeneration stat that continually ticks in and out of combat.
____________________________
WoW Blackhand-US-Date of Retirement: 9/21/2010... /Sigh
Devari - 90 Rogue 85 DK Druid/Mage/Warrior 70+

FFXI - Shiva "Retired.... Or not? One more try, honest."
Desmar - 65 Sam 36 Mnk 18 Thf 12 War

FFXIV - Devari Garamond - Sargatanas 50 Paladin / Culinarian / Weaver / Armorer
Beta - Devaria Ariadne - Ultros - Pugilist
#17 Mar 25 2013 at 8:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Personally I think base stats tend to create more design problems than make them worthwhile, all for the sake of numerically conveying the information that your character is getting stronger.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#18 Mar 25 2013 at 8:36 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Monk's attacks did elemental damage. Fists of Fire, Earth, Wind, etc... That's probably why INT played a factor.

Of course, this is speaking 1.0's terms. The stats I also posted are 1.0 terms. Yoshi has said that that chart is completely moot for ARR.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#19 Mar 26 2013 at 12:02 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
desmar wrote:
A common way to deal with the issues of piety/mind/intelligence is go the route that almost all RPGs go, even early versions of D&D. You tie one stat (usually mind/wisdom) to healing (conjury), and you tie one (usually intelligence) to damage (thaumaturge). In the event of the Arcanist/Summoner, you would give them 50% of both stats, as this would allow them to benefit from gear from both classes, and weapons will naturally have appropriate stat distribution for the level. Piety could be removed, or converted to a critical hit / MP regeneration stat that continually ticks in and out of combat.


Hopefully we get Charisma, so when you've a quest from Stingy McTightfist to go find 10 dragon toe nail clippings to exchange for a moderate sum of clink, you can crack a smile and a wink with such force that he simply hands over all his personal wealth, forgets all about dragons, and tells the rest of the chaps down in the tavern that same evening what an absolute gentleman you are.
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#20 Mar 26 2013 at 12:07 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Kordain wrote:
desmar wrote:
A common way to deal with the issues of piety/mind/intelligence is go the route that almost all RPGs go, even early versions of D&D. You tie one stat (usually mind/wisdom) to healing (conjury), and you tie one (usually intelligence) to damage (thaumaturge). In the event of the Arcanist/Summoner, you would give them 50% of both stats, as this would allow them to benefit from gear from both classes, and weapons will naturally have appropriate stat distribution for the level. Piety could be removed, or converted to a critical hit / MP regeneration stat that continually ticks in and out of combat.


Hopefully we get Charisma, so when you've a quest from Stingy McTightfist to go find 10 dragon toe nail clippings to exchange for a moderate sum of clink, you can crack a smile and a wink with such force that he simply hands over all his personal wealth, forgets all about dragons, and tells the rest of the chaps down in the tavern that same evening what an absolute gentleman you are.


I lol'd....at work....everyone stared Smiley: laugh

ETA: This really makes me want to roll on an RP server. Did SE ever say if they're going to have RP servers? I don't recall.

Edited, Mar 25th 2013 11:21pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 78 All times are in CST
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (77)